OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: University  (Read 1267 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« on: January 30, 2007, 07:55:32 PM »

The University of Alberta has two Roman Catholic colleges within it.

What is the general consensus on taking theology courses through one of them next year??

Thanks
Postolowka

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Thanatos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »

What is the general consensus on taking theology courses through one of them next year??

Thanks
Postolowka

I think its more of a worry if theyre going to be filled with religious relativism than a rather Catholic slant on everything. That seems to be the trend with most courses on theology among universities today, both private and public. However, it could be totally different at those schools youre looking at. For myself, I'm looking at Marquette University (private jesuit school) for a graduate degree in theology - partly because they offer amazing courses there and that an Orthodox priest is one of the professors.  Grin.

My advice would be to schedule an appointment with one of the head professors of the theology departments at those schools and interview them on what you might expect...inserting in questions here and there that would help get a feel if he/she is a dirty liberalizin' rennovatin' relativist. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with taking theology courses from a Roman Catholic college - as long as you know the basic principles and differences that are unique to Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy. That way you'd have a good handle on what to seperate as papistic bias or solid scholarship.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:30:39 PM »

Thanks
Postolowka

Trust me, you probably don't want to do that.  There is a lot of difference between how Roman Catholics and the Orthodox perceive revelation.  It would drive you nuts, and it might also give you an incorrect vision of how to perceive the world through Orthodox eyes. 

If there were Eastern Catholic courses offered, that might be better, but even still, at your present stage of development, you are simply not ready to be able to discern what is true and what is not when it comes to being subjected to their idealistic bias.  Believe me, this bias is very real.  I am not trying to be condescending to you, I know that you are very bright, but everything that you have said here would indicate that you are not ready to enter the ecumenical arena.  Even when you're ready, you might well not want to!

JB
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:30:59 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:50:29 PM »

I think Pravoslavbob is right.  I speak from experience on this.  My first semester of college I had to take a theology course, and at times it drove me crazy.  I couldn't stand to hear some of the lies taught about Orthodoxy, and even just the general mindset in Catholic teaching is so different, that as you start to take on a truly Orthodox mindset, it drives you crazy.  I felt like walking out of the room at times because of the heresy taught.  Heresy is a very powerful tool of the devil to lead people away from the Church, and this is why the Fathers often teach against talking (much less studying theology) with heretics (obviously in today's day and age, we have to talk to those outside the Church, and we should, we might be able to bring them to the Church through our kindness, but we should at least avoid having theological debates with them that might hurt our soul). 

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:18:09 AM »

My first semester of college I had to take a theology course, and at times it drove me crazy.  I couldn't stand to hear some of the lies taught about Orthodoxy, and even just the general mindset in Catholic teaching is so different, that as you start to take on a truly Orthodox mindset, it drives you crazy.

How would it be any different than your typical secular college? History, anthropology, politics, psychology... almost all classes would have an either wholly unorthodox mindset, or leastwise use a mindset not readily reconcilable with orthodoxy. They might as well skip college altogether, and just go to technical school. There's no unOrthodox way to repair automobile engines Wink
drewmeister2
Elder

Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:33:34 AM »

How would it be any different than your typical secular college? History, anthropology, politics, psychology... almost all classes would have an either wholly unorthodox mindset, or leastwise use a mindset not readily reconcilable with orthodoxy. They might as well skip college altogether, and just go to technical school. There's no unOrthodox way to repair automobile engines Wink

Lol well I agree to a certain extent, but being required to write papers about a theological position you don't even believe in is quite hard.  Granted this can occur in other classes too, but at least you sometimes get the opportunity to not support an idea if you prefer, and IMHO, theology is particularly harder to sit through than other classes.  Just my experience.

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 11:41:19 AM »

What about Religious Studies courses in general??

Ancient Hebrew shouldn't be biased, but what about:
RELIG 211 Introduction to Early Christian Writings - Critical introduction to early Christian writings, including those in the New Testament, in their historical and cultural context.
RELIG 312 Eastern Orthodoxy - History, sacral art, liturgy, spirituality and distinguishing points of doctrine.
RELIG 313 Early Christian Writings - Social and literary studies of select early Christian texts.
RELIG 314 Jesus - A study of representations of Jesus in various historical and social contexts.
 and so on.

I won't be getting an Orthodox perspective (except maybe the one) so in general is it mainly just ill-advised??

Postolowka

P.S. This is my first year at Uni, before I went I was offered admission into residence/group program at one of the RC Colleges on campus. LOL.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 12:01:03 PM »

Well every course is going to be biased.  I even disagree with an Orthodox professor at my university on a certain teaching.  However, religious study I think would give you more room to maneuver.  Many professors also like it when you bring an alternate view to what is usually the same type of classroom.  However, just as many do not.  I'd suggest to meet with the professors of that course and ask them simply.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »

If you can, I echo the suggestion to meet with the professor beforehand and asking him or her directly about the course and voicing your concerns.  Most professors, even the "nasty" ones, don't want to waste your time or their time and can be quite honest about how the class works.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »

I highly recomend any Religious Studies program you could go into.  Usually the Catholics can at least provide you with an amazing library.  The program you listed doesn't sound that bad, and actually sounds a lot like what we have at Hellenic College (GOA Undergraduate school connected to Holy Cross Seminary). 

I also think you should meet with the professors if you have the opportunity, or at least the head of the department, and see where they stand.  Ask your academic advisor too if you have one. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: