OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:38:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Minor Glitches With Some of the Text Functions  (Read 1439 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: February 04, 2007, 10:28:05 PM »

Ever since the implementation of the new spell check, I have been having to deal with a very irritating problem every time I try and use the quote, bold, underline etc. functions. Whenever I highlight a particular word or sentence and then click the underline button for example, the [*u] and [*/u] appear anywhere but around the highlighted selection. They may appear together after the highlighted selection; sometimes one will appear in the middle of some sentence in the previous paragraph, and the other at some other random location within the post. What's the deal?

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:40:53 PM »

It works fine in Firefox but I just dusted off IE and tried it out and I see your problem.  We'll take a look into seeing if we can fix it; fixes for IE usually involve work-arounds because the source code of IE itself is completely messed up.  IE7 should be fixing some of the issues but that won't help us now, so we'll try to find the answer.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 10:45:34 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:47:51 PM »

I think I have the same kind of problem.  When I try to highlight and underline something, the whole text gets underlined. 

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »

This would be a good chance to plug Firefox.  Internet Explorer is a HORRIBLE browser, folks.  Do yourself a favor and try out Firefox, the far superior standards-compliant and lightweight browser. It's free! I haven't used IE since.

www.firefox.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:09:25 PM »

Bleh, none of them stand up to the tried and true Lynx: lynx.browser.org
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:10:21 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 11:17:44 PM »

This would be a good chance to plug Firefox.  Internet Explorer is a HORRIBLE browser, folks.  Do yourself a favor and try out Firefox, the far superior standards-compliant and lightweight browser. It's free! I haven't used IE since.

www.firefox.com

The technologically inept, such as myself, are afraid to abandon that which they're used to and content with. Will the move from I.E. to Firefox be something that takes time to get used to? What exactly are the advantages? It doesn't seem like a "browser" has much to it; what's the big deal, really, and could the move pose any potential complications?

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 10:04:25 PM »

Friends,

Spell check has been disabled because it was interfering with some IE posts as above, and also on top of that it was putting in ads! We are not into ads on our site, so we took it off.

We will investigate other spell check options.

Firefox 2.0 has built-in spell check by the way Smiley

Anastasios

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 10:10:23 PM »

The technologically inept, such as myself, are afraid to abandon that which they're used to and content with. Will the move from I.E. to Firefox be something that takes time to get used to? What exactly are the advantages? It doesn't seem like a "browser" has much to it; what's the big deal, really, and could the move pose any potential complications?

Well there are several answers to your question.  You seem to be coming at this from a practical pov but I will nevertheless offer some idealogical basis first.

Microsoft agreed to a standards-compliant internet where future upgrades to things like style sheets (what makes texts look different colors, sizing, placing text boxes, etc) but then did their thing their own way, causing us designers to have to make two sets of designs (and before anyone says we should just design for the majority, that's impossible because oftentimes IE simply doesn't work at all!)

Secondly, I am anti Microsoft anyway.

As for practically, I think Firefox is neater, slightly faster, has tabbed browsing (IE7 will have them but it is not widely available yet and has security holes), and has more upgrade options (you can get plugins to customize it in rather cool ways and everything is free).

Perhaps for you it would not be that big of a deal but everyone I know who has tried it has stuck with it.  It's free and a small download; you can try it out without stopping using IE.

If you don't feel you need to upgrade that's fine, but I have a vested interest in plugging Firefox because if everyone used it, Robert and my web design and coding skills would be better spent; now we have to constantly guess how things will go (like all those bugs you keep getting) because IE never implements things right the first time.  Realistically, not everyone is going to use it, but we sure wish they would Smiley

You can read up about the features of Firefox before deciding to download on their website, to see if you like it.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:11:14 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 03:05:11 AM »

Some of us can't use Firesux (hey, if people can do it to Micro$uck, I can do it to scrApple and such). It won't run properly on my computer. Er, well lots of things won't run properly, lol, but that's one of them. People could always just insert the bold and such manually. Once you get used to it it doesn't take any more time to do it that way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:31:14 AM »

Are you using an older operating system?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: