OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:54:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Affirmations  (Read 644 times) Average Rating: 0
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« on: February 03, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »

I would like to know the Church position on the issue of affirmations or "positive self-help scripts", in other words positive (or negative) sentences\suggestions about yourself structured in the present tense, that are supposed to bring about a specific outcome.
In other words repeating to yourself: "You lose weight every day" 10 times or writing down the sentence 15 times etc. There is a pseudoscientific explanation on this, loosely connected to medical hypnosis, that the repetition somehow bypasses the consious mind's resistance to whether the statement is true or not and "convinces" the unconsious mind to adjust/modify the behavioural patterns so that the affirmation finally becomes true of yourself.

I did a search on the internet on the position of the Orthodox Church on this, even searched the Catholic Encyclopedia and found nothing... I asked a psychologist about this and he told me that affirmations are used as a fast way of relieving anxieties/phobias, but somehow the fact that most people using affirmations (and believing they functioned) tend to notice that unlikely coincidences bring about their result, this had me more interested. Also, New Age and other "non-mainstream" groups seem to have a liking for affirmations.

I would like to hear opinions on this.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 08:38:23 AM »

Do you think that there is necessarily a problem with this? 

Just off the top of my head I would say that "forcing" yourself to believe something is walking a thin line.  It would depend on what you're forcing yourself to remember.  If you say the Jesus Prayer constantly, arn't you doing the same thing that you described:  Repeating the same line multiple times? 

So, in prayer the concept might work.  But in our lives...it could be very dangerous. 

Just some thoughts. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: affirmations 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: