OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:55:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There is far too much ARROGANCE on this forum  (Read 3697 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: January 25, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »

Keble,

Please show some respect.  Matthew is Jewish this week and would liked to be addressed as Shlomo.  Next week he will be representing the Zulu Tribe and will be referred to as "Shaka".  Please do not refer to him as Matthew until February 7 (the beginning of the Lenten fast), when he will become a Christian again.

If you are a bit confused as to the schedule of these things you can check out www.matthewsopiniononeverything.com.  Thank me later.  Wink
The traditional language of my church is Syriac, a dialect of Aramaic, the language which Jesus and the Apostles spoke. The word "peace" in Syriac is "shlomo." Whereas to you, arrogant as you are, my religious beliefs are shaped by the fashions of the times, in all actuality, they are within the precepts of my Church, which was founded by the earliest Aramaic-speaking Jewish-Christians.

So Matt, your a Nietzsche fan eh? So am I! And a quote by him that I absolutely love always comes to mind when I see the threads you start.

"That everyone is allowed to learn to read will in the long run ruin not only writing but thinking, too." 
Whether you like me or not, almost every question I ask on this forum has merit, even if I don't ask it in a satisfying way. It would be better for you to follow the rules of logic and Christian charity rather than insinuating personal attacks.

For an "Orthodox Christian" forum, there are a great deal of words spoken that are entirely contrary to the standards of Christian charity and even basic human standards of respect and love. Rather than addressing questions and arguments as they are, based on their own merit, far too many members are motivated by their dislike of particular individuals.

It should be a forum rule that if you don't have anything helpful and relevant to post for a particular thread, that you shouldn't post on said thread at all, especially if all you have to say is false and patently offensive. How utterly arrogant you would be to think you can dissect the heart of a man you've never even met, only to brush off its beliefs and desires as foolish and somehow below you.

Shlomo.
 For making a sweeping ad hominem against the board.  While you were attempting to defend yourself, making such a sweeping generalization against many innocent members of this board not only drives good people away but provokes more individual attacks against you, which we do not want to see.  Hopefully all involved parties will take this time to cool off.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:31:45 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »

Maybe you need to expand your sense of humor?

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:37:38 PM »

Maybe you need to expand your sense of humor?

Maybe you should realize that "humor" at the expense of another's dignity is rarely humor at all, especially if not "funny" in the first place. Maybe you should make relevant posts on my threads or not post in them at all, rather than the grossly insensitive tomfoolery you so enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:38:13 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 12:53:21 PM »

It should be a forum rule that if you don't have anything helpful and relevant to post for a particular thread, that you shouldn't post on said thread at all, especially if all you have to say is false and patently offensive. How utterly arrogant you would be to think you can dissect the heart of a man you've never even met, only to brush off its beliefs and desires as foolish and somehow below you.

Matthew, this has bothered me for a while, so I am going to be harsh, but I guarantee you that I will be sincere.  In such posts as these, people do not see wisdom or interesting topics, but hypocrisy and narcissism.  You accuse us of being arrogant, yet your posts reek of arrogance.  The other day, you came out attacking my Scriptural habits, when you have no knowledge of my prayer rule or prayer life.  You do this often and you do it to a greater extent then other posters.  Where, we often comment about your posts and yes do make jokes, sometimes quite sarcastic ones, you have repeatedly been content to condemn us and judge our hearts.  How utterly arrogant you are to brush off our comments to you, start several threads a day then without responding to people's various posts, continue to ignore them and posts your thoughts.   I can suggest a few Victorian pieces of literature, because most men do not admit their fancy of the week, much less accuse others of not following it.  You have attacked us on our Orthodoxy, yet, it is clear from other OO Christians you have quite a different view from your Church.  Yes, we have given you to ridicule and sometimes harshly and it is admittedly a fault on our part.  However, the minute a young man starts to find himself in a situation where it's him against the world, it usually is not a problem with the world, but the man.  Therefore, save your self-righteous comments for yourself.  A bit of maturity might be useful too.  And on behalf of everyone else, I thank you for your comments and pointing out that their is a splinter in my eye.  This is, however, a log in yours.
Daniel

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »

Maybe you should realize that "humor" at the expense of another's dignity is rarely humor at all, especially if not "funny" in the first place. Maybe you should make relevant posts on my threads or not post in them at all, rather than the grossly insensitive tomfoolery you so enjoy.

Yes Matthew, and lot of this arrogance is perpetrated by yourself.  Your "opinion pieces" as well as your short sound-bite statements (e.g. Sola Scriptura is Self defeating) are about as arrogant as anything else out there.  Your statements often have little tact if any at all.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 01:07:38 PM »

M777,

In all honesty, I wasn't trying to be personally abusive to you, rather I was trying to be as ridiculous in my replies as your constant (and Dan said it best) narcissistic topic creation.

A few short weeks ago you declared "you were done here" and then within a few short days you were back to your usual self.

One day you are promoting "black Jesus" the next day you are a messianic Jew.  In sum, I apologize if your feelings were hurt, but my posts to you were no more ridiculous than the topics you continue to create.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »

I think the level of arrogance is exactly right.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »

Therefore, save your self-righteous comments for yourself. 

Such would be good for every member of this forum to follow. When the non-Christian students of a public college have enough respect for each other's diginity to engage in meaningful discussion, it's upsetting that the members of an Orthodox Christian forum cannot.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 01:12:17 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »

Just to be clear.  I do apologize to M777 but more so to the mods here for any problems I have caused.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 01:15:42 PM »

One day you are promoting "black Jesus" the next day you are a messianic Jew

You don't know enough about my church and its origins to make statements like that. The Jews of diaspora, members of the lost tribes of Israel, were among the first converts of my church. There are even melodies in our liturgy adapted from Jewish temple worship. Messianic Judiasm is nothing more than Evangelical Protestantism with a Kosher diet.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:09 PM »

Such would be good for every member of this forum to follow. When the non-Christian students of a public college have enough respect for each other's diginity to engage in meaningful discussion, it's upsetting that the members of an Orthodox Christian forum cannot.

I want to address this comment, but without using any examples of behavior from OC.net.

I've found that many of my colleagues, acquaintances and clients/employees over the years, regardless of faith or nationality, have been very kind to me.  Back in Cleveland, this was the rule (here in Boston, the exception).  I've appreciated that in my interactions with them in professional and social settings.

However, I've also found that many fights start up within the family, sarcasm from my friends, and even comments from clergy (the Patriarch!).  My initial reaction is indignation and offense, that they would be so presumptuous or nasty to me.  But as I've come along in my short years, I've realized something: the interactions with the outsiders, regardless of how pleasant, are superficial; the interactions with people close, regardless of how mean or nasty, are meaningful, because they are commenting on my tendencies and behaviors with the intention of helping me to improve myself and grow in Christ.

I've definitely caught myself at times wishing I was working again in office max or the auto parts store back home, where people were always courteous and kind... But then, when I begin to remember that I care about my development as a person, I long for the sarcasm and wit of my family and friends, for in their commentary they are pointing out the faults in me that I need to improve upon and change in myself in order to become more Christ-like.

This, I hope, is what is happening here - because we are discussing matters of the most intimate nature (faith, salvation, community, etc.), even if we're miles or continents apart and never meet face-to-face, people are exposed to our innermost selves, and are likely to spot the obvious faults that lie within each of us.  The Internet doesn't leave a whole lot of avenues to express those feelings, and human nature has a tendency to spin them in the direction of ridicule or mean-spirited comments.  But the core of the sentiment is - "hey, man, we care, and want to see you fix a few things."  Of course we all have logs in our eye, and we must work on them; but if we can help our brother even with the splinter, then that is a good thing, for then we can supplicate them to help us with the log in our own.

If you want, we can ask everyone to engage everyone else in a superficial manner - and membership in the board will decrease, meaningful relationships won't be built, etc.  Or, we can take the slings and arrows of outrageous comments in stride, seeking always to make ourselves better imitators of Christ, and striving to love our brothers- even if it means letting them know that we disagree with them or are annoyed.

My $ 0.45.  Now that I'm done being hypocritical, I'm gonna go play the state capital game on addictinggames.com.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 01:49:12 PM »

It's easy to be arrogant when you are always right.  Cheesy

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 02:07:07 PM »

I say that the majority have shown much tolerence with your tomfoolery, but the line has to be drawn at some point.

Therefore I appeal to the surpreme administrator...suspend the insanity...please.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »

It's easy to be arrogant when you are always right.  Cheesy
Yes, but those who think they are always right are so annoying to those of us who really are!  Cheesy

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 02:43:54 PM »

I would not use the word "arrogance" regarding the forum, but I do think many of these discussions are too scholastic and involve semantics rather than Faith.  Seems more like a college debating society at times.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 02:46:26 PM »

I long for the sarcasm and wit of my family and friends, for in their commentary they are pointing out the faults in me that I need to improve upon and change in myself in order to become more Christ-like.

cleveland, if you're ever feeling homesick, just send a PM.  I'll be glad to help out by ridiculing you, making sarcastic comments or pointing out your faults.  I consider it my duty as a brother in the faith, and it's for your own good as you say.   Grin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:47:28 PM by welkodox » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »

I would not use the word "arrogance" regarding the forum, but I do think many of these discussions are too scholastic and involve semantics rather than Faith.  Seems more like a college debating society at times.

Well that is, generally speaking, how debate and discussion works. The academic community has already defined the parameters thereof.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:50:22 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »

cleveland, if you're ever feeling homesick, just send a PM.  I'll be glad to help out by ridiculing you, making sarcastic comments or pointing out your faults.  I consider it my duty as a brother in the faith, and it's for your own good as you say.   Grin

I know that SouthSerb99 has already provided an invaluable service to me in this regard.  Wink

By this way of thinking, I believe every other person on this forum would have to acknowledge GIC as among his/her dearest friends.   Grin  I know I do.   Wink
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:07:03 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 03:13:51 PM »

I know that SouthSerb99 has already provided an invaluable service to me in this regard.  Wink

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HrtlOmD7U_I

Don't you love creative kids and youtube?  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:15:26 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
AMM
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »

By this way of thinking, I believe every other person on this forum would have to acknowledge GIC as among his/her dearest friends.   Grin  I know I do.   Wink

That's right, he could be everyone's personal geronda and they don't even know it.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HrtlOmD7U_I

LOL!!!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Pravoslavbob
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 03:40:13 PM »

Yes.  It's great to see their little imaginations run wild.  Alas, comes a time, sooner than one would believe possible, when they have to enter the real world.  Sigh. 

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »

Yeah, Cleveland, I'll be in for some of that! Inside every Brit there lurketh the dark and restless Monster of Sarcasm, just below the surface of that serene and polite exterior; clawing to be released. I'm just dying to practice my skills! And if it's for your own good, this is an opportunity too great to miss! I'm here to help all I can. Tongue

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »

For an "Orthodox Christian" forum, there are a great deal of words spoken that are entirely contrary to the standards of Christian charity and even basic human standards of respect and love. Rather than addressing questions and arguments as they are, based on their own merit, far too many members are motivated by their dislike of particular individuals.

Shlomo.

Matthew,

Though many of the topics you raise are interesting and thought-provoking, others seem to display a thoughtless desire for controversy. I'm in no way judging you, but in many respects you remind me of a man who, rather foolishly, puts his arm into a lion's mouth and then complains that it has been bitten off.

If you truly wish to have your topics sympathetically addressed, perhaps a little thought on how you commence them might be a good idea. If you make a genuine attempt to view your own topic headings from all perspectives, you might eliminate the contentious aspects that produce undesirable responses.

God be with you.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Pravoslavbob
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 04:16:29 PM »

Yeah, Cleveland, I'll be in for some of that! Inside every Brit there lurketh the dark and restless Monster of Sarcasm, just below the surface of that serene and polite exterior; clawing to be released.

So true.  LOL.

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »

Yes.  It's great to see their little imaginations run wild.  Alas, comes a time, sooner than one would believe possible, when they have to enter the real world.  Sigh. 
Bobane (now I'm using a Serbian nick -that shows affection),

We are in the real world.  We're all still waiting to see if the Sens will EVER beat the Leafs WHEN IT MATTERS! LOL

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 04:22:45 PM »

Matthew, no other forum would put up with you as much as OCnet has.
You use this forum to post your ever shifting stream of consciousness. Your constant adolescent whining, search for identity, and exaggerated sense of self-importance have driven many of our other posters away- I know because they've told me.
If you don't like the forum, then you are free to move on- in fact, didn't you do so a few weeks ago? Somehow connected to a root canal?
Some of us would actually like to get on with discussing topics that interest us.

MODERATION:
I am locking this thread.
If you wish to complain about other posters, the proper way to do so is to contact a moderator or admin, not start threads.
George
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:32:36 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags: Shock the Monkey tomfoolery more arrogance please 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: