Author Topic: One Liturgy per Day or One Liturgy per Altar per Day?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline EkhristosAnesti

• 'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
  • Archon
  • Pope St Kyrillos VI
One Liturgy per Day or One Liturgy per Altar per Day?
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
In a recent thread some referred to a liturgical canon which prohibited more than one Euchristic Liturgy (EL) per day. As far as I am aware, current OO practice only prohibits more than one EL per-altar/per-priest per day, which hence allows for more than one EL per day at any church with more than one altar and more than one priest.

What are the sources of the canons in question (pre-schism? post-schism?) and the justifications underlying them (patristic justifications would be preferable)?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:36:06 PM by EkhristosAnesti »
No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: One Liturgy per Day or One Liturgy per Altar per Day?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 02:08:47 PM »
*bump*

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »

There are churches with multiple altars.  Main one front and center, smaller ones to the side.  In these churches their may be multiple Liturgies.

As I was told, it is one Liturgy per antimens per day. 
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »
The question is, what are the actual canons regarding this and where can we find them?

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:00:51 PM »
Good bump!

Subscribing
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline wgw

• Addicted to liturgical music
  • Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »
Indeed, I womder if this is actually an ancient canon at all as opposed to an Eastern liturgical custom, hence the Roman practice of bination, with trination and quadrination being allowed in extraordinary circumstances.  On the other hand, I have heard the Carthusian chapterhouses have one altar per choir father (priest), in addition to the high altar for the conventual mass, which would not be bination.  And it is a fact the Roman church has massively increased the use of trination and quadrination in recent years, even as, contrary to numerous pastoral instructions, the liturgy of the hours has been neglected.