OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 11:47:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-introducing old car styles?  (Read 2258 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: January 24, 2007, 12:12:56 PM »

I know this topic is not religious at all but here goes...on the roads these days,

I often see cars made from older or vintage styles but made with modern technology such as VW's New Beetle, Rabbit, Golfs, and Chrysler's PT Cruiser which looks like something from the 40's.

'm wondering what anyone thinks the chances are of some other older car styles being reintroduced into the market and how successful they might be? Such as the big old Cadillacs, Buicks, and Mercurys. Couple years back my dad had a beautiful 67' Cadillac and unfortunately he sold it- he now regrets it Smiley

The reason I ask is because I aboslutely love old car styles and its such a shame cars are not made that way anymore. The major thing that needs to be changed are of course the safety features such as seat belts and air bags.

If gasoline (V8 engines) is an issue, the cars dont have to be made with the same large measurements, just the style....that would be cool.

Any thoughts anyone??
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »

Well, i think part of the charm was the physical size... if gas was really an issue, they've made lighter-weight materials to make the cars from (even though I prefer and old-fashioned steel monster, myself).

Oh Goat, oh Goat, where have you gone?  Your re-incarnation was a mere shadow of your former glory!  May the Judge live forever!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:56:21 PM »

I'm gonna buy my hub a 67 GTO with vanity plates that read OLDGTO

I would like a 70 chevelle.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »

I wish the US made more designs like this for the nice weekend when the mother-in-law has the kids and the wife and I could just cruise out to the country for a picnic during the early summer.
*sighs

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:51:59 PM »

Here are two I would love to buy:

1925 Oakland

1934 Sunbeam

My favorite cars are from the era between the wars.
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 12:51:57 AM »

I love the old giant Cadillacs and Buicks from the 50s and 60s. Another one I love is the old VW Beetle and the VW Minibus. If I were a millionaire, I'd start my own auto manufact. company and reintroduce all the cool oldies with safety features etc...

What style and elegance!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:06:52 AM »

man I love fins and chrome!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 02:33:42 AM »

Oh, and for some of the hardcore afficionatos (sp?) - a nice Deusenburg..... Those puppys are quite the driving machines (so I've heard.... they're only more expensive than 10 years salary for a priest, so I'll never get one).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 11:20:45 PM »

Okay.  Now you got me feeling bad about getting rid of my first car. . . a 1963 Grand Prix.   :'( Sad
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:09:35 AM »

Oh man, why did ya do it?! lol
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 04:08:56 AM »

So its an elegant car we are looking for, or an antique one? Look no Further:

The 1937 Cord Front Wheel Drive Model 812
The 812 had retractable headlights in addition to other advanced equipment, and in the tradition of the L-29 it employed front-wheel drive and an electrically controlled vacuum shift gearbox. Cord was committed to the realization of the dreams of engineers and designers alike.

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »

Oh man, why did ya do it?! lol

We won't talk about the '66 Mustang and '67 Fury III I don't have anymore.   Sad    :'(
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: