OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:33:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My neighbor and also me  (Read 1582 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: January 23, 2007, 06:28:07 PM »

A week and a half ago my neighbor took a fall and broke 2 ribs and lacerated her liver.  She was in the hospital for 4 days but is home now and trying to take it easy to heal, which could take 6-8 weeks.  We had her sons over a good bit to help and then they both got Pink Eye.  So they could all use some prayer.

Then my left eye which had a Staph/possibly fungus infection last Fall started bothering me over the weekend. (I didn't know that eyes could *get* fungus.  Errrggh)  I saw my regular Optometrist today and he thinks it's not Pink Eye, but possibly the former trouble trying to come back.  He's put me on a "loading dose" of anti-biotics to try and stamp whatever it is flat (picture the cartoon elephant or other creature jumping up and down on something with all 4 paws).  This means 6 hours of drops every 15 minutes, then every half hour for 18 (yes all night long) then every hour for 24 and then to a more regular schedule.  I'm to see the doctor again on Thursday and we'll see if it's working.  It hasn't felt as irritated or watered as much in the last 4 hours since I started, but it would be very nice if it were caught *now*. 

Sad

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:18:54 PM »

Lord have mercy.

The healer of eyes in the Orthodox tradition is St. Paraskevi of Rome- a second century martyr who's name means "Friday". As part of her martyrdom, she was thrown into a cauldron of boiling oil under Emperor Antoninus Pius. She miraculously was spared any injury and stood in the oil as though she was in a cool pond. The Emperor approached and wouldn't believe that she was truly standing in boiling oil, and asked her to splash some on him. She did so, and the boiling oil burned his eyes causing instant blindness. The Emperor repented and asked Paraskevi to help him, so she stepped out of the cauldron, healed him and baptised him, and under his reign, the persecution of Christians ceased. She is often depicted holding a vessel containing two eyes.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »

Lord have mercy on all His Servants, for they need His hand to heal and comfort...

St. Paraskevi, on whose day was my first ever Liturgy celebrated as a priest, please intercede for my friend Ebor, as well as her neighbor!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:56:11 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:01:51 PM »

My prayers are with you, your family, and your neighbors.

Donna

hmmmm...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »

You are in my thoughts, Ebor, I hope they're able to take care of it before it becomes a drawn out issue.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:48:05 PM »

Prayers, may St. Raphael intercede for you and your neighbor...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 01:40:07 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:17:56 PM »

Dear Lord, please help your servants. Grant them complete health. St. Paraskevi, whose church actually I visited today, please intercede for healing.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 04:06:01 PM »

Many thanks for your prayers.  My neighbor is healing and may be able to go back to work part time next week. There is still some pain, and likely will be for a couple of months, but she is improving.

My eye is much better and the doctor said that due to the trouble last Fall it seems to be more susceptible to dryness and therefor to chances of irritation, injury and infection.  So I'll be careful to use moistening drops to ward that sort of thing off.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: