OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 11:00:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 351053 times) Average Rating: 5
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #4770 on: February 02, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

Just watched my first NBA game, go Lakers I guess.

Right city. Wrong team. Go Clippers!

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4771 on: February 03, 2013, 10:35:42 PM »

O. K., who turned out the lights at the Superbowl?  Did al quaeda pray to Muhammad and get half the lights burned out?  Wink
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4772 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:17 AM »

O. K., who turned out the lights at the Superbowl?  Did al quaeda pray to Muhammad and get half the lights burned out?  Wink
Joe Montana and Steve Young conspired to hire a hit man to take out the lights. Hey, the 49ers needed another halftime to recover from the blow of giving up a 108-yard kickoff return for a TD. It almost worked for them. Almost... laugh
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:56:22 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #4773 on: February 04, 2013, 12:57:17 AM »

It would have worked had the referees not given the game to the Ravens.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4774 on: February 04, 2013, 01:16:52 AM »

Knock off that BS! Angry The 49ers lost because they couldn't take advantage of the many opportunities they had to win and because the Ravens played a better game. I won't let anyone blame the refs for blowing the game for San Fran. police
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #4775 on: February 04, 2013, 01:20:41 AM »

Knock off that BS! Angry The 49ers lost because they couldn't take advantage of the many opportunities they had to win and because the Ravens played a better game. I won't let anyone blame the refs for blowing the game for San Fran. police

Shame they weren't good enough to win without the refs giving them the game, though. Maybe they would've been but now we'll never know.

Fun fact: Baltimore players are allowed to shove refs without getting ejected:

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4776 on: February 04, 2013, 01:30:57 AM »

Shame they weren't good enough to win without the refs giving them the game, though. Maybe they would've been but now we'll never know.
The referees gave no one the game. That's the one thing I've learned from my involvement in sports is that you can NEVER blame the officials for giving the game away. When you do, you only make yourself look like a sore loser. (I'm speaking as someone who pulled for the 49ers to win today. I will admit that the refs made some questionable calls/no calls, but I recognize that the 49ers had their chances and failed to take advantage of them, nonetheless.)

Fun fact: Baltimore players are allowed to shove refs without getting ejected:
I was surprised that no one on either team was ejected for that shoving match.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:36:01 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4777 on: February 04, 2013, 02:00:10 AM »

Is there anyone hotter than Beyonce right now?

Oh and screw the Ravens forever. Flacco still isn't Elite.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4778 on: February 04, 2013, 02:04:41 AM »

Who cares? If I want to see dancing like that, I'll go to a strip bar.

He won today, didn't he? Of course, him dropping the F-bomb on national TV was actually kinda funny. laugh
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:09:37 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4779 on: February 04, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »

Can't spell Flacco without FCC.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4780 on: February 04, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

9-5 and Superbowl not ELITE ENOUGH FOR YOU?

7 ROAD WINS NOT ELITE ENOUGH FOR YOU?

This year..

John Harbaugh > Jim Harbuagh

Joe Flacco Superbowl MVP > Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick!

Dedicated to all my folks in San Francisco for the morning after they came down to REALITY (what did they think a young and inexperienced team with a young and inexperienced QB would actually win the big dance? Were they SERIOUS?!) ..

stop hating out there.  Ravens football is about LOVE and true RESPECT.  We won against three of the best teams in football because we loved the game, we loved our fans, and we had love and respect for our opponents.  The haters gossip and mash their teeth but for what? What does all the hate get you? NOTHING.  What does love get you? A SUPERBOWL WIN!  So lets see, Broncos were 8.5 favorites, New England were 8.5 favorites, even Niners were 3.5 favorites..  what happened there? A lot of silly people lost a lot of money Wink

Don't doubt the Ravens, we LOVE this game enough even to respect our own losses.  We TRUST in GOD enough to be thankful for just the opportunities to play.  WE are the team folks should bandwagon on, not a bunch of over-hyped hater teams.  I am sorry to Denver, I saw y'all fans crying on the TV and YouTube, that was us Ravens and myself last year.  We've been there, that is why we respect you.  My hats to New England, you had a phenomenal season.  The unfortunate reality is so did Ravens.  To the Niners? Y'all are just a young football time, which scares me.  We will see plenty of y'all in the future.  Then again, not if Alex Smith EXPLODES in Arizona Wink

Hey Moss? Jerry Rice called laughing hysterically that you thought you were better than him, even Tony Gonzales is snickering on that one.  Hey Culliver?  How are you going to be such a bonehead as to openly and unrepentantly DISS part of your OWN FAN BASE? That was embarrassing, they jinx themselves all media week with silly trash talking.  Maturity goes a long way.  Ravens used to be the same kind of immature team until John Harbaugh came around, hopefully Jim can bring similar discipline to their lockerroom.

Ed Reed. YOU GOT ANOTHER PICK IN YOUR HOMETOWN AT THE SUPERBOWL! CONGRATZ to one of the ALL-TIME greatest safeties.  Ray Lewis you finished on top like Elway, such a rare fate which can only come from the Grace of God.  Folks just hate because they don't know you, they don't relate to your struggle, but I can, and folks like us know whats up to be like Joseph in Egypt.  GOD prevails, destiny and blessings are revealed.  What will the NFL do with out our own Jesse Jackson?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:21:39 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #4781 on: February 04, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »

You rock!  I'll be at the parade tomorrow for sure.

Peace.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4782 on: February 04, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

Eli Manning has 2 Super Bowls and people still don't think he is elite either.

It took Flacco how long to get a SB?

BB got it done in his second year.

You still can't beat us in the playoffs.

Your team was garbage all year and you were lucky enough that the Broncos, Pats and 49ers didn't show up like they should have.

Oh and all that LOVE AND RESPECT took 13 years to get another SB.

I hope your organization is dumb enough to give Flaccid 20 mill a year.

EDIT: BTW, Thanks for stopping by.

My question is why?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:37:39 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4783 on: February 04, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

You rock!  I'll be at the parade tomorrow for sure.

Celebrate it up for me please.  I was dancing all over the streets yesterday.  I've been to the Laker Championship parade, it was one of the best moments in my entire life of living in Los Angeles, and we're a pretty remarkable city.  Nothing compared to having half a million Angelinos unanimously ditch work, bring their kids ditching school to dance in the streets of downtown Los Angeles.  Whose streets? OUR streets!  Even all the gangsters dropped their rivalries and beefs for a day to simply enjoy it out with their kids and families.  It was the first time I've been out in LA and didn't see a SINGLE fist-fight, which was all the more miraculous.  Were a chippy kind of town, even at Art Walk there are drunken brawls, sometimes even shootings :/

GO RAVENS!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4784 on: February 04, 2013, 04:56:17 PM »

You're just being a poor sport and obnoxious about it.  How long did it take Elway? Oh right, he had to LOSE a few Superbowls.  Flacco has won a play-off game in EVERY one of his starting seasons since a rookie.  He has more road wins than any other QB in post-season history, he just beat two of the best QBs IN HISTORY, ON THE ROAD, AND DIDN'T THROW A SINGLE INTERCEPTION TYING WITH JOE MONTANA FOR 12-0 in the post-season.  GROW UP.  Facts don't lie, Flacco is elite by every single measure, period, and you and all the other haters just look silly right now, a bunch of sour grapes.  

Hey I dig it, Steelers-Ravens is a sick rivalry, and I wouldn't DARE root for Big Ben in another Superbowl, HOWEVER, I know what kind of calliber player he is, I know what calliber team Steelers are, and so we RESPECT THEM.  All I ask is you respect what Ravens have accomplished, because the rivalry has just effectively been equalized. Since Ravens came to Baltimore we got TWO Superbowls to match the TWO that Steelers got in that same time period. We're also 14-7 in the post-season and y'all are 14-8 since 1996 Wink

My question is why?

I'm just passing through unashamedly to gloat.  I've shared three seasons with many folks here, and had many ups and downs so I wanted to celebrate.  Hey, my teams don't have so many Lombardi trophies lying around we can't count them on a single hand like y'all, let the underdawg get it every once in while yo Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:03:02 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4785 on: February 04, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »

I would respectfully suggest that coming by to gloat is not going to get much respect for the Ravens - to the extent you feel a need to troll speaks more about your own insecurities about needing to be "respected" than me being a "poor sport".

EDIT:
Putting Ravens win in perspective:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8912868/bill-barnwell-puts-ravens-win-perspective

So much for the hater tag.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:52:07 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #4786 on: February 04, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »

It's all about the rings in the NFL. Bradshaw wasn't that great (he could show flashes of greatness at best), but he's treated like an all-time great (maybe not top 5, but up there), just because he won 4 super bowls.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4787 on: February 04, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »

It's all about the rings in the NFL. Bradshaw wasn't that great (he could show flashes of greatness at best), but he's treated like an all-time great (maybe not top 5, but up there), just because he won 4 super bowls.

Let's not forget that Bradshaw had Swann and Stalworth who could virtually catch anything.

His QB rating I think is in the 70s

EDIT: And if Flacco didn't have someone like Boldin making great catches or Smith torching CBs, could be a different story altogether.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:55:54 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4788 on: February 04, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »

BB got it done in his second year.
Big Ben is not an elite QB, either. But does that matter? Jim McMahon and Trent Dilfer certainly can't be considered elite QB's, but did that matter the day after each won the Super Bowl? No. Dan Marino was an elite QB who never won the Super Bowl, but does that fact tarnish his otherwise brilliant career? No. Maybe you've forgotten that QB's don't win Super Bowls--teams do.

You still can't beat us in the playoffs.
At least the Ravens made the playoffs, which is more than can be said for your Steelers this year.

Your team was garbage all year and you were lucky enough that the Broncos, Pats and 49ers didn't show up like they should have.
But who's sitting on top with the trophy?

Oh and all that LOVE AND RESPECT took 13 years to get another SB.
So what?

I hope your organization is dumb enough to give Flaccid 20 mill a year.

EDIT: BTW, Thanks for stopping by.
No problem. Grin

My question is why?
Why ask why?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:01:59 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #4789 on: February 04, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

Why ask why?

I don't like beer  Cool
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4790 on: February 04, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »

His QB rating I think is in the 70s
I've found that QB passer rating is not a very good way to compare QB's from different eras. Have you noticed, for instance, how the league average passer rating went up considerably when teams started using the short pass more often as a way to control the ball and relied more on receiver yards after the catch for their big plays (thanks to Bill Walsh and Joe Montana for making that kind of offense popular)?
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #4791 on: February 04, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »

I was just looking at the Bradshaw wiki page though, and it's obvious that he was mediocre during the regular season: only 3 pro-bowls in 13+ seasons, nearly as many INTs as TDs (210-212), didn't have a 3,000 yard passing year until his 10th year in the league, etc. I know it was a different era and we can't expect 5000-yard-drew-brees type numbers, but consider: in his first two super bowls he had 14 and 19 pass attempts. The guy just wasn't that important, most of the time, when they had such a good defense and also a hall of fame (9x pro bowl) running back in Harris. And really, what passing plays do you remember from the 70s Steelers? Swann making a juggling catch? Franco with the immaculate reception? Bradshaw was serviceable, especially in big games, but he was the least important out of about 5-6 players that the Steelers had in place.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4792 on: February 04, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »

EDIT: And if Flacco didn't have someone like Boldin making great catches or Smith torching CBs, could be a different story altogether.

Huh, I didn't realize that Big Ben won his two rings by throwing the ball deep in the air, running, and catching it himself like Nelson Muntz Wink

Wait, that's right, that is why football teams have receivers, to catch the ball and score TDs!!  Funny how that works isn't it?

I may be gloating, but I am not trolling.  Again, I respect opponents, and I was on the Niners bandwagon for the past two years until this point where they faced my team, so I definitely have love for them.  In fact, I seem to have more love for the Niners than all the bandwagoners as they all jump off in a hurry..

Your bad attitude can't bring down this win, I wish you were happier to see me make a brief cameo appearance, but alas, I understand, some rivalries are bitterer than others, but I hope we could be Christian brothers about it and be nice.  As to other folks like Deep Roots who are celebrating our win, and to Peter who has enough sense to act like a grown up, big up, I came back briefly to say hello to y'all and share this win Smiley Smiley Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:30:51 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #4793 on: February 04, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »

...throwing the ball deep in the air, running, and catching it himself...

Or Mr. Perfect...

He's perfect.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #4794 on: February 04, 2013, 06:35:27 PM »

I didn't say it yesterday, but congrats to the Ravens and their fans.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4795 on: February 04, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »

Big Ben is not an elite QB, either. But does that matter? Jim McMahon and Trent Dilfer certainly can't be considered elite QB's, but did that matter the day after each won the Super Bowl? No. Dan Marino was an elite QB who never won the Super Bowl, but does that fact tarnish his otherwise brilliant career? No. Maybe you've forgotten that QB's don't win Super Bowls--teams do.
Stop being stupid.

I did not say nor imply that BB is the only person that wins SB. But he was absolutley critical for the win, as are most QB's in this league, it's why it matters so much more now than in the past. All the Steelers needed was a great QB to win a 5th SB, and they got it.

And it was BB that saved the entire season tackling the Colts defensive player after Bettis fumbled in the endzone.

Team sport it is, but in today's NFL you need a great QB to win games and consistently at that. You think if Matt Cassel played in NE with the talent Brady had around him, he would have picked up the same amount of SB's and apparences? Fat chance.

And really BB not elite? You are only kidding yourself dude.

An Elite QB does not get beat by a 37-38 year old back up...

You act like Joe did this all by himself you should credit the o-line cause Joe was protected the whole playoffs just think if Ben was protected like Joe was.

At least the Ravens made the playoffs, which is more than can be said for your Steelers this year.

Who cares? And that's not even what I'm arguing here. They still can't beat us in the playoffs when we go up against them. I'm glad we didn't make the playoffs so we can re-tool in this offseason.

Terrible rebuttal, you have been off your game as of late.

A garbage team that wins the trophy is still a garbage team. Doesn't change that fact. Just because other teams decided not show up to their potential doesn't make the other team superior.

Let's not forget the Ravens lost at home with a 3rd stringer. A 3RD STRINGER.

Pathetic.

So what?
Quite a long time for "elite" Flaccid, we've done more and shown up to more SBs since.

It'll be just as long for another win.

EDIT: BTW yes I know BB's performance in the SB's has been subpar, but it was enough to clinch it, but the road to get there requires such a QB.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:50:03 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #4796 on: February 04, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4797 on: February 04, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »

Wait, that's right, that is why football teams have receivers, to catch the ball and score TDs!!  Funny how that works isn't it?
But you can also have bad receiving corps.

I've already given Boldin his cred.

Now shut up.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4798 on: February 04, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »

Well atleast Ray Ray has two rings to match the two victims he killed.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4799 on: February 04, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »

I didn't say it yesterday, but congrats to the Ravens and their fans.

Smiley This too.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4800 on: February 04, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »

Edgar Allen Poe died in 1849. Just sayin'.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4801 on: February 04, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »

Stop being stupid.
Get over yourself, dude. I've been watching the NFL longer than you've been alive. Besides that, you didn't even get my point that it doesn't matter whether a QB is elite or not the day after he leads his team to a Super Bowl win.

I did not say nor imply that BB is the only person that wins SB. But he was absolutley critical for the win, as are most QB's in this league, it's why it matters so much more now than in the past. All the Steelers needed was a great QB to win a 5th SB, and they got it.

And it was BB that saved the entire season tackling the Colts defensive player after Bettis fumbled in the endzone.

Team sport it is, but in today's NFL you need a great QB to win games and consistently at that. You think if Matt Cassel played in NE with the talent Brady had around him, he would have picked up the same amount of SB's and apparences? Fat chance.

And really BB not elite? You are only kidding yourself dude.
Has your allegiance to the Steelers blinded you to the fact that Big Ben is not an elite QB?

An Elite QB does not get beat by a 37-38 year old back up...
But they do get beat by good defenses.

You act like Joe did this all by himself you should credit the o-line cause Joe was protected the whole playoffs just think if Ben was protected like Joe was.
Quite the contrary, Achronos. I never said Flacco is an elite QB. I just pointed out that he helped his team win the Super Bowl yesterday, and that winning the Super Bowl is the only thing that matters today. That doesn't make him an elite QB, but it really doesn't matter today whether he's an elite QB or not. Let him celebrate his victory for a few days without jumping in so quickly to disparage what he did.

Who cares? And that's not even what I'm arguing here. They still can't beat us in the playoffs when we go up against them.
Past failure is not a surefire indicator of what they could do this year. Who really cares what the Steelers could do against the Ravens if the two were to meet in this year's playoffs? The simple fact is the Steelers didn't give themselves the chance. Maybe they will next year, but who can foresee the future clearly enough to know?

I'm glad we didn't make the playoffs so we can re-tool in this offseason.

Terrible rebuttal, you have been off your game as of late.
I'll let others judge how well I've refuted your arguments.

A garbage team that wins the trophy is still a garbage team. Doesn't change that fact. Just because other teams decided not show up to their potential doesn't make the other team superior.
A "garbage" team that wins the trophy still wins the trophy and can never have it taken from them--certainly not by you. So why do you keep on trying?

Let's not forget the Ravens lost at home with a 3rd stringer. A 3RD STRINGER.
So what? They won the Super Bowl, and that's what counts.

Pathetic.
Yes, your attempt to disparage what the Ravens accomplished yesterday is exactly that: pathetic.

So what?
Quite a long time for "elite" Flaccid, we've done more and shown up to more SBs since.
But not this year.

It'll be just as long for another win.
So what?

EDIT: BTW yes I know BB's performance in the SB's has been subpar, but it was enough to clinch it, but the road to get there requires such a QB.
But there will always be exceptions, which is the beauty of the NFL.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:42:58 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4802 on: February 04, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »

You have evidence that the courts didn't have?
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4803 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

I honestly dont think that Flacco is an elite QB, but you know, at the end of the day, it doesnt matter. He is a Super Bowl winning QB, and that is what counts. Good on the Ravens, now time for the Bills to do so.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4804 on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »

I don't post in soundbites anymore and I really am tired of the quote parsing, which you seemed to take out my very first sentence out of context anyway.

Really pulling the age card? That's a non-argument. I could watch every single game from the day you were born, all the highlight reels, know the game inside and out, the entire history of the NFL, etc. and I could still say I watched more of the NFL than you and know more about it.

Using age is a non-argument. And I am sure I can find people half your age that know or have watched more games than you ever had.

So stop using this line of "argumentation".

And besides watching a lot of games != knowing more than someone else about the sport.

Honestly I am probably the most critical/harshest Steeler fan out there. I can tell you guys like Woodley who make millions doing nothing and being fat. How Wallace is one trick pony that really devalued himself this season. How LeBeau's zone blitz scheme has been basically figured out by everyone and he needs to change up the formation. How our O-line still cannot create enough open lanes to get our run game going. How this team is still being plagued with injuries because our strength and conditioning staff sucks. How we need to get the balls to cut some of our veterans that cannot perform as well anymore, like Troy.

But I can go on and on. We had a terrible year, it was bound to happen. Our defense is old. Our O-Line is in bad shape eventhough we tried to depend on rookies to pick up the load. We need a backup QB since BB gets injured every season at some point.

Don't ever think that I am so enamored with our team in past successes to think that it clouds my judgement on the kind of QB BB is. One more SB ring, which I expect he will get, and he will be a first round HOF'er. He is one of the best clutch QB's in the game, ever. Who would I want as QB on my team in the 4th quarter trailing the game? BB. He is also one of the toughest QBs out there and has had probably the best career season right before his injury last year.

I don't care if he's not a Brady or a Manning, but he's still elite. He's proven it. All he needs to do now is take down his ego and listen to Haley, and he will be getting MVP next season if he played at all like he did before his injury. It was really marvelous to watch.

Hopefully Ben does as well next year and we get another Superbowl for the AFC North.

The only way to detract from BB's performance is that he was matched with a terrible O-Line and an OC that never played to his strengths. Had that been fixed, we'd have two more rings for sure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:21:48 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4805 on: February 04, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »

Hard to get the evidence when the police investigation was botched. His behavior afterwards totally indicates him being a murderer though.

Let me guess you gonna defend OJ Simpson too?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #4806 on: February 04, 2013, 11:18:37 PM »

I honestly dont think that Flacco is an elite QB, but you know, at the end of the day, it doesnt matter. He is a Super Bowl winning QB, and that is what counts.

My thoughts exactly.

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #4807 on: February 04, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »

Edgar Allen Poe died in 1849. Just sayin'.

Smiley In Baltimore, I believe.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4808 on: February 05, 2013, 12:59:24 AM »

"Love put us over the top," LB Ayanbadejo explained. "You wouldn't think it, because football is a game known for machismo and violence and toughness, but love is what drove our success. This Ravens team is a love story."
NFL.com

For all the haters out there, this should be an example.  Ravens organization is about love, and love won the game.  I can't explain it enough, that has been our mantra for many years.  This whole season, Ravens' fans chain texts reflected the locker room, we were about LOVE, not hating the opponent. Ir you're outside looking in it sounds cheesy, but its true, and love should always motivate everything in life, especially mundane things like football.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:00:44 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4809 on: February 05, 2013, 01:23:37 AM »

"Love put us over the top," LB Ayanbadejo explained. "You wouldn't think it, because football is a game known for machismo and violence and toughness, but love is what drove our success. This Ravens team is a love story."
NFL.com

For all the haters out there, this should be an example.  Ravens organization is about love, and love won the game.  I can't explain it enough, that has been our mantra for many years.  This whole season, Ravens' fans chain texts reflected the locker room, we were about LOVE, not hating the opponent. Ir you're outside looking in it sounds cheesy, but its true, and love should always motivate everything in life, especially mundane things like football.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4810 on: February 05, 2013, 03:23:30 AM »

I don't post in soundbites anymore and I really am tired of the quote parsing, which you seemed to take out my very first sentence out of context anyway.

Really pulling the age card? That's a non-argument. I could watch every single game from the day you were born,
No you couldn't, because you weren't alive until about 15 years after the day I was born.

all the highlight reels, know the game inside and out, the entire history of the NFL, etc. and I could still say I watched more of the NFL than you and know more about it.

Using age is a non-argument. And I am sure I can find people half your age that know or have watched more games than you ever had.

So stop using this line of "argumentation".

And besides watching a lot of games != knowing more than someone else about the sport.

Honestly I am probably the most critical/harshest Steeler fan out there. I can tell you guys like Woodley who make millions doing nothing and being fat. How Wallace is one trick pony that really devalued himself this season. How LeBeau's zone blitz scheme has been basically figured out by everyone and he needs to change up the formation. How our O-line still cannot create enough open lanes to get our run game going. How this team is still being plagued with injuries because our strength and conditioning staff sucks. How we need to get the balls to cut some of our veterans that cannot perform as well anymore, like Troy.

But I can go on and on. We had a terrible year, it was bound to happen. Our defense is old. Our O-Line is in bad shape eventhough we tried to depend on rookies to pick up the load. We need a backup QB since BB gets injured every season at some point.

Don't ever think that I am so enamored with our team in past successes to think that it clouds my judgement on the kind of QB BB is. One more SB ring, which I expect he will get, and he will be a first round HOF'er. He is one of the best clutch QB's in the game, ever. Who would I want as QB on my team in the 4th quarter trailing the game? BB. He is also one of the toughest QBs out there and has had probably the best career season right before his injury last year.

I don't care if he's not a Brady or a Manning, but he's still elite. He's proven it. All he needs to do now is take down his ego and listen to Haley, and he will be getting MVP next season if he played at all like he did before his injury. It was really marvelous to watch.

Hopefully Ben does as well next year and we get another Superbowl for the AFC North.

The only way to detract from BB's performance is that he was matched with a terrible O-Line and an OC that never played to his strengths. Had that been fixed, we'd have two more rings for sure.
I can still say your allegiance to your team has clouded your judgment, because in the case of Big Ben, it has. He's a great QB, but I wouldn't call him elite.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4811 on: February 05, 2013, 03:24:39 AM »

Hard to get the evidence when the police investigation was botched. His behavior afterwards totally indicates him being a murderer though.
You need to have more evidence if you're going to convict Ray Lewis of murder. I doubt that you've seen that evidence, and you show yourself far too quick to judge when you say his behavior afterwards is enough to convict him. You simply do not know.

Let me guess you gonna defend OJ Simpson too?
Why not defend him against such members of the lynch mob as you? He was never convicted.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #4812 on: February 05, 2013, 04:02:08 AM »

...in the case of Big Ben, it has. He's a great QB, but I wouldn't call him elite.

Putting my two cents in... I don't think we know yet. Has there been one season yet when he didn't have some kind of serious injury (and even when he does play he often does so injured)? I am not saying this as an excuse, only that he's about to enter the second half of his career, and if he can avoid injury we should get to see what he can do as a healthy, mature QB. That Pittsburgh doesn't have a star running back, and that they have had decent receivers during his playing days (and probably will in the future) means that he has most things set in his favor (except perhaps for a good offensive line... but we'll see about that). I will say that, regardless of whether he's ever considered elite or hall-of-fame worthy, he will almost certainly have most of the Steelers passing records by the time he retires. He already has broken several significant ones and he's only half done.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:04:16 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4813 on: February 05, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »

Seriously, did Habte really just compare Ray Ray to Joseph and the coat of many colors?

I guess that makes Big Ben Moses.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #4814 on: February 05, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »

Seriously, did Habte really just compare Ray Ray to Joseph and the coat of many colors?

I guess that makes Big Ben Moses.

Troy Polamalu can be King Josiah.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: