OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:52:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 403155 times) Average Rating: 5
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #4725 on: January 23, 2013, 03:04:57 AM »

So should I root for Cincinnati's division rivals, or the team who's beaten them at their only Super Bowl appearances? I'm pretty torn, and I thought you lot could help me pick a side. GO!

As a Redskins fan, I'm rooting against Baltimore fans, probably the single most annoying fanbase in the league outside of the Dallas-Fort Worth Area.

Edit: also, screw Haloti Ngata.

A fellow Redskins fan, grew up in the DC area.  To me Ravens' fans aren't too bad, to me the worst fan base is Phily.  For the past few years the only saving grace that team had was Andy Reid.  Now that he is in Kansas City I can fully justify my hate for the Eagles.  Die eagles die...
Hey, watch it, buddy! Angry That's Chip Kelly's team now. police

Kelly will be running back to collegiate level after the fans in Phily chew him up and spit him out. 
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4726 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »

Hey, watch it, buddy! Angry That's Chip Kelly's team now. police
Kelly will be running back to collegiate level after the fans in Phily chew him up and spit him out.
Good point.  Philly isn't exactly known as a warm, inviting place with a rabidly loyal fan base.  If he ain't good, real good and fast, real fast, he might be in for a rough tour of duty.  Time will tell.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4727 on: January 23, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »

The Braves are attempting to acquire Justin Upton.  This would be big for us.  We already landed his brother.  (wasnt particularly excited about that deal...)

If we get him, you can look for us in the World Series.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4728 on: January 23, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »

Boo! Braves boo! Boooooo!

*still hurting from the early 90s run-ins with them*

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4729 on: January 23, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

Boo! Braves boo! Boooooo!

*still hurting from the early 90s run-ins with them*

Yea, a lot of people feel that way... Ha!

(cue the "but you guys only won one world series during your entire dynasty" comments...)  Tongue

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4730 on: January 23, 2013, 08:52:33 PM »

So should I root for Cincinnati's division rivals, or the team who's beaten them at their only Super Bowl appearances? I'm pretty torn, and I thought you lot could help me pick a side. GO!

As a Redskins fan, I'm rooting against Baltimore fans, probably the single most annoying fanbase in the league outside of the Dallas-Fort Worth Area.

A fellow Redskins fan, grew up in the DC area.  To me Ravens' fans aren't too bad, to me the worst fan base is Phily.  For the past few years the only saving grace that team had was Andy Reid.  Now that he is in Kansas City I can fully justify my hate for the Eagles.  Die eagles die...

Good point, let me further qualify my statement.

The Ravens fans are the most annoying outside of our opponent fanbases in the NFC East.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4731 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »

"[At] around the same time Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o claims he learned he was part of an Internet-related hoax, at least four Redskins players also became aware of their own role in a completely separate, coincidentally timed and ultimately less harmful saga of false online identities.

NFL.com has learned that NFL security conducted an investigation into a situation involving a woman, known by the pseudonym Sidney Ackerman, who used pictures of an Internet adult entertainer, C.J. Miles, to establish dialogues with pro athletes.
Unlike Te'o, none of the Redskins players involved became emotionally attached to "Ackerman," instead pursuing her out of nothing more than physical appeal, sources close to the situation said."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4732 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »

"The woman whose picture was used to create Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend has been identified, but the voice of the woman who had hours of late night phone calls with the Notre Dame star has remained silent. Turns out that's because it reportedly was a man."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4733 on: January 24, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »

We need an emotional youtuber to give us a "leave Manti alone" video right now...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #4734 on: January 27, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »

18-10 to Spain  Cry Cry

WHAT IS WRONG WITH US?

Once, just once, I would like to see us become world champions.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4735 on: January 27, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »

That was an embarrassing game for UNC.  I felt bad for them.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4736 on: January 28, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »

How 'bout dem Panthers?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4737 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »

How 'bout dem Panthers?
I hope you don't mean the Florida Panthers.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4738 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »

TIL there is a hockey team called the Florida Panthers.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4739 on: January 28, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »

The voice that charmed and tormented star linebacker Manti Te'o, probably belonged to a woman, according to four forensic audio experts consulted by ABC News.

That conclusion comes as the New York Post reported that unnamed relatives of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo – the man Te'o says was behind the hoax – say they believe the voice of Te'o's fictitious girlfriend Lennay Kekua belonged to a [female] cousin of Ronaiah's named Tino Tuiasosopo.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:35:18 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4740 on: January 28, 2013, 11:47:49 PM »

The voice that charmed and tormented star linebacker Manti Te'o, probably belonged to a woman, according to four forensic audio experts consulted by ABC News.

That conclusion comes as the New York Post reported that unnamed relatives of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo – the man Te'o says was behind the hoax – say they believe the voice of Te'o's fictitious girlfriend Lennay Kekua belonged to a [female] cousin of Ronaiah's named Tino Tuiasosopo.
Really four forensic audio experts for this hoax?

Unbelievable.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4741 on: January 30, 2013, 12:05:10 PM »

The story continues into Thursday:

In an interview with Dr. Phil McGraw that will air Thursday, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo says the voice of Manti Te'o girlfriend Lennay Kekua was his and that the star Notre Dame linebacker had no role in the hoax.
McGraw said Tuiasosopo told him he fell deeply in love with Te'o and that for Tuiasosopo it was a romantic relationship.

"Here we have a young man that fell deeply, romantically in love," McGraw told NBC. "I asked him straight up, 'Was this a romantic relationship with you?' And he says yes. I said, 'Are you then therefore gay?' And he said, 'When you put it that way, yes.' And then he caught himself and said, 'I am confused.' "

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4742 on: January 30, 2013, 09:33:14 PM »

Garrett McNamara Breaks Surfing World Record (Again), Rides 100-Foot Wave In Portugal

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4743 on: January 30, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »

Garrett McNamara Breaks Surfing World Record (Again), Rides 100-Foot Wave In Portugal

Finally some real news!

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4744 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:21 PM »

DIG ON THIS!!!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4745 on: January 31, 2013, 01:09:19 AM »

DIG ON THIS!!!

I wonder if Asteriktos is old enough to remember when brothers Paul and Lloyd Waner played together for his favorite team.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4746 on: January 31, 2013, 08:45:53 AM »

The Manti incident as case-study for Mormon dating culture:

It requires little stretch of the imagination to see the benefits of an online relationship for someone in Te'o's position. The voice on the other end of the telephone line offered emotional support but reduced temptations. This girl could be his biggest fan without becoming his biggest distraction. And, perhaps more importantly, a relationship conducted over the phone and Internet could move at a pace suitable for a shy Mormon young man.

Leaving room for this fuller vision of Te'o's motivation, reporters and readers alike may be able to move beyond assertions of stupidity to a kinder conclusion of naïve innocence.

Laurie Maffly-Kipp, a Mormon scholar and professor at the University of North Carolina, wrote in an email, "As for Te'o, his naivete, if that is what it was, does not surprise me. There is certainly a value attached to innocence at the time of marriage for the LDS church."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4747 on: January 31, 2013, 11:16:07 AM »

I wonder if Asteriktos is old enough to remember when brothers Paul and Lloyd Waner played together for his favorite team.

Huh A little before my time. The only Waner I grew up watching was John... er... John Wehner:

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4748 on: January 31, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »

Huh A little before my time. The only Waner I grew up watching was John... er... John Wehner:

I bet hes old enough to remember when Sid slid...  Grin

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #4749 on: January 31, 2013, 04:40:54 PM »

GO RAVENS

Peace.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4750 on: January 31, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »

GO RAVENS
No.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #4751 on: January 31, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »

+9,001
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4752 on: January 31, 2013, 04:50:59 PM »

More like +49

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4753 on: January 31, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »

I know who's going to win.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #4754 on: January 31, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »

Why? He is a great player.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:45:42 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4755 on: January 31, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »

YES.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4756 on: January 31, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #4757 on: January 31, 2013, 05:59:18 PM »

Maybe, but he was the one who messed up RG3's knee during the regular season. It might not be rational but that's sports for you.
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #4758 on: January 31, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

haha  well I'm a Baltimorean.  Don't know what to tell you.  I think we're pretty passionate, but I'm far from a jerk about it

Peace.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4759 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »

My main man JamesR lives in SF so let's go Niners.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4760 on: January 31, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »

laugh !

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4761 on: January 31, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »

One thing we do know: Neither of these teams has lost a Super Bowl yet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4762 on: January 31, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »

Let us not speak of such things! *crosses self*

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4763 on: January 31, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »

Let us not speak of such things! *crosses self*

If it makes you feel any better, I actually like the Pirates.  I feel bad for them.  Theyve had a rough go at it ever since that day... I guess the Braves are responsible.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4764 on: January 31, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »

Who do I hate more? OJ Lewis or Kapernick.

So hard...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4765 on: January 31, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »

Who do I hate more? OJ Lewis or Kapernick.

So hard...

Im having the same dilemma.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4766 on: February 02, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »

Just watched my first NBA game, go Lakers I guess.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4767 on: February 02, 2013, 01:57:03 AM »

Not a good year to be a Lakers fan  Cool

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4768 on: February 02, 2013, 02:04:12 AM »

Yeah, now we root for them to win because we feel sorry for them and want them to end whatever losing streak they're on at the moment. Tongue
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4769 on: February 02, 2013, 02:05:16 AM »

It's like the opposite of bandwagoning!

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: