OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 02:19:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 403574 times) Average Rating: 5
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4500 on: November 25, 2012, 01:00:52 AM »

Has anyone else noticed the irony of how the media loves to bash Catholicism, but when it comes to Notre Dame football they suddenly become blind devotees? I almost gagged when Brent Musburger said that Notre Dame is "Destiny's Darlings." Please let BAMA beat UGA so we can hand the Irish the destiny they deserve!

Selam

Good luck with that. Cool

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4501 on: November 25, 2012, 01:12:06 AM »

Wow I don't like Duke right now.

Right now? It's a perpetual dislike for me.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4502 on: November 25, 2012, 01:14:15 AM »

Wow I don't like Duke right now.

Right now? It's a perpetual dislike for me.

Selam

This is the first we've played them since '86, but I can understand now why teams that play them regularly don't like them.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4503 on: November 25, 2012, 01:46:46 AM »

With the prelim rankings out, and the calculations done, im hoping for the Welsh to win by over 15 against the Oz, or at the very, very, worst, lose by 15 points of less, to ensure the Springboks remain second in the world. In addition, i hope the English give a thrashign to the All Blacks, even though I know that it will not happen.

SCREW BON JOVI!
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

« Reply #4504 on: November 25, 2012, 02:09:39 AM »

With the prelim rankings out, and the calculations done, im hoping for the Welsh to win by over 15 against the Oz, or at the very, very, worst, lose by 15 points of less, to ensure the Springboks remain second in the world. In addition, i hope the English give a thrashign to the All Blacks, even though I know that it will not happen.

Those ratings mean nothing. FYI Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4505 on: November 25, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »

The Steelers will lose this game no matter how hard the Browns try to let them win!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #4506 on: November 25, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »

So this Sunday will be the first time anyone's expected Carson Palmer to give the Bengals a win. (Please don't stab me Habte.)
Grin

But look on the bright side, habte. 16 of the teams you're a fan of should win this week.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4507 on: November 25, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »

The Steelers will lose this game no matter how hard the Browns try to let them win!

Glad I grabbed the Browns' defense in fantasy fball this week!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

« Reply #4508 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »

We know which soccer club Aaron Rodgers supports
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4509 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »

DAT RODGERS STACHE

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4510 on: November 25, 2012, 11:33:12 PM »

huh?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:37:00 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4511 on: November 25, 2012, 11:44:29 PM »

huh?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4512 on: November 25, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »

I coulda sworn that was Steve Prefontaine.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4513 on: November 26, 2012, 12:59:43 AM »

Wrong sport. Steve Prefontaine was a distance runner, but then you probably already know that. Wink
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #4514 on: November 26, 2012, 01:14:05 AM »

The greatest mustache in sports history will forever be the Fu Mon Chu:

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

« Reply #4515 on: November 26, 2012, 01:43:27 AM »

The 1908 captain of Marine Sidi-Abdallah

OR

French rugby star Sébastien Chabal
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

« Reply #4516 on: November 26, 2012, 01:51:20 AM »

One of my Rugby mates sent me this. It makes me chuckle a little.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4517 on: November 26, 2012, 02:16:16 AM »

I never knew that Joe Montana ever wore a mustache.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4518 on: November 26, 2012, 04:50:41 AM »

Let us not leave Goose Gossage out of the discussion!

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4519 on: November 26, 2012, 05:56:26 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

So this Sunday will be the first time anyone's expected Carson Palmer to give the Bengals a win. (Please don't stab me Habte.)
Grin

But look on the bright side, habte. 16 of the teams you're a fan of should win this week.

Correction:

I have four teams:

(1) Ravens

(2) Falcons

(3) Niners

(4) Raiders

thank you Wink

PS.. I've asked to delete account, its been a blessing the past two years with y'all, but lately its just not worth it. I pray God blesses you all by His Divine Grace.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4520 on: November 26, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »

Has anyone else noticed the irony of how the media loves to bash Catholicism, but when it comes to Notre Dame football they suddenly become blind devotees? I almost gagged when Brent Musburger said that Notre Dame is "Destiny's Darlings." Please let BAMA beat UGA so we can hand the Irish the destiny they deserve!

Selam

Im a huge UGA fan and I am very excited about the game next weekend. Problem is, my band will be playing in Cleveland, Ohio next Saturday.  We did the same gig last year, and I missed most of the SEC championship then also.  People in Cleveland dont seem to have as much interest in the SEC. Ha.

I just hope it will be a good game.  I know everyone expects Bama to destroy us, (Dawgs have been fairly inconsistent this year) but weve played well as of late so we'll see.  We only beat Auburn 38-0 and you guys beat them 49-0.  However, I think that just means your 3rd string is better than ours.  Grin

If Bama destroys us, Ill still root for them in the title game! SEC should get a 7th straight title either way as I think Bama and UGA could take Notre Dame.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
#1Sinner
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #4521 on: November 26, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »

GO IRISH!!

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4522 on: November 26, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »

I never knew that Joe Montana ever wore a mustache.

Please tell me some one, anyone mentioned:

How many of a certain vile slice of humanity would give everything to this unironically?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4523 on: November 26, 2012, 12:54:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Grin

Correction:

I have four teams:

(1) Ravens

(2) Falcons

(3) Niners

(4) Raiders

thank you Wink

PS.. I've asked to delete account, its been a blessing the past two years with y'all, but lately its just not worth it. I pray God blesses you all by His Divine Grace.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

That, as a sports fan, does it bother you when people have multiple teams they support?

Bothers me and I ain't even a sports fan really.

Put your money down.

All in or nothing.

As much as I hate the Bengals, I have to respect the loyalty of the maniacs who support them (unless they supported the tax levy to build the stadium).

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4524 on: November 27, 2012, 05:51:01 AM »

Selam

Im a huge UGA fan and I am very excited about the game next weekend. Problem is, my band will be playing in Cleveland, Ohio next Saturday.  We did the same gig last year, and I missed most of the SEC championship then also.  People in Cleveland dont seem to have as much interest in the SEC. Ha.

I just hope it will be a good game.  I know everyone expects Bama to destroy us, (Dawgs have been fairly inconsistent this year) but weve played well as of late so we'll see.  We only beat Auburn 38-0 and you guys beat them 49-0.  However, I think that just means your 3rd string is better than ours.  Grin

If Bama destroys us, Ill still root for them in the title game! SEC should get a 7th straight title either way as I think Bama and UGA could take Notre Dame.

I don't think anyone who really follows SEC football thinks BAMA will destroy UGA. Georgia beat Ole Miss by a bigger margin than BAMA did, and Ole Miss is a much better football team than their record indicates. We have some weaknesses in the secondary, which plays right into Aaron Murray's hands. Also, we suffered a huge loss when our leading receiver broke his leg against Auburn. So, I think that this will be a very, very close game. Hard to call it at this point. The Dawgs desperately want to finally win an SEC title for Richt, and the opportunity to play for the National Championship. But I hope my TIDE will prevail. I have to confess, as much as I root for the SEC, I can never pull for Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, or Georgia. I just don't like the way they do things. Sleazy programs, IMO.

Selam 

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4525 on: November 27, 2012, 06:06:51 AM »

My fantasy football league has 10 teams and is split into 2 divisions. The good news for me is that I'm in first place in my division. The bad news is that my record is only 7-5.  Lips Sealed

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #4526 on: November 27, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »

My fantasy football league has 10 teams and is split into 2 divisions. The good news for me is that I'm in first place in my division. The bad news is that my record is only 7-5.  Lips Sealed

7-5?

My record this year is 3-9. And I am dead last.  Sad

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4527 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »

Selam

Im a huge UGA fan and I am very excited about the game next weekend. Problem is, my band will be playing in Cleveland, Ohio next Saturday.  We did the same gig last year, and I missed most of the SEC championship then also.  People in Cleveland dont seem to have as much interest in the SEC. Ha.

I just hope it will be a good game.  I know everyone expects Bama to destroy us, (Dawgs have been fairly inconsistent this year) but weve played well as of late so we'll see.  We only beat Auburn 38-0 and you guys beat them 49-0.  However, I think that just means your 3rd string is better than ours.  Grin

I don't think anyone who really follows SEC football thinks BAMA will destroy UGA. Georgia beat Ole Miss by a bigger margin than BAMA did, and Ole Miss is a much better football team than their record indicates. We have some weaknesses in the secondary, which plays right into Aaron Murray's hands. Also, we suffered a huge loss when our leading receiver broke his leg against Auburn. So, I think that this will be a very, very close game. Hard to call it at this point. The Dawgs desperately want to finally win an SEC title for Richt, and the opportunity to play for the National Championship. But I hope my TIDE will prevail. I have to confess, as much as I root for the SEC, I can never pull for Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, or Georgia. I just don't like the way they do things. Sleazy programs, IMO.

Selam  

Even Georgia is sleazy?  Do you say that because we always have a bunch of thugs on our team who get suspended or go to jail? If so, I can agree with you on that.  But I always thought Richt was an extremely classy guy.  Hes also a very devout Christian and seems to, for the most part, be having a very positive impact on his players.  I may just be biased, obviously.  I feel the same way about all the schools you mentioned except I would add Florida to the mix. Smiley We hate them.  But we hate Auburn too and I believe the UGA-Auburn rivalry is one of the oldest in college football history or something.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:18:17 AM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4528 on: November 27, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »

Even Georgia is sleazy?  
Things haven't been the same since Herschel graduated.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

« Reply #4529 on: November 28, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »

Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel is a beast: 3419 Passing Yards, 24 Passing TD, 8 Interceptions, 68.3% Completion Percentage, 1181 Rushing Yards, 19 Rushing Touchdowns

Too bad Notre Dame's Manti Te'o deserves the Heisman more. But 'Football Johnny' will win it next season.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4530 on: November 30, 2012, 05:29:16 AM »

Mediation yields no progress

It appears the mediation route will not spell the end of the lockout.

The NHL and NHL Players' Association met for the second straight day Thursday but gained no traction in brokering a new collective bargaining agreement through the use of a federal mediator...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4531 on: November 30, 2012, 06:12:19 AM »

Even Georgia is sleazy?  
Things haven't been the same since Herschel graduated.

Herschel didn't graduate. He only played 3 years and then went to the USFL.

Selam

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4532 on: December 01, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »

The NHL and NHL Players' Association met for the second straight day Thursday but gained no traction in brokering a new collective bargaining agreement through the use of a federal mediator...

Cry Cry Cry

I'm going to have to cough up the money to get some kind of extra cable coverage, so I can watch the youth leagues from Canada, or something. I can't take this lockout thing anymore. I can't. Do hospitals treat NHL Withdrawal Syndrome?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #4533 on: December 01, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »

Cry Cry Cry

I'm going to have to cough up the money to get some kind of extra cable coverage, so I can watch the youth leagues from Canada, or something. I can't take this lockout thing anymore. I can't. Do hospitals treat NHL Withdrawal Syndrome?  Huh

I hear you. I am suffering from withdrawal also. Watching basketball helps a little.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:11:29 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4534 on: December 01, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »

Thank you. Maybe I can find some minor-league sites online, that may have clips of their games. I live close to an NHL city, but since they're not playing, and I don't live close to an ECHL or AHL team, I'm really up the creek.  Undecided

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4535 on: December 01, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »

My intramural flag football team got destroyed today. Oh well. I blocked a pass and got a few "tackles."

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

« Reply #4536 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:25 PM »

My Montana State Bobcats take on Stony Brooks tonight in the FCS playoffs. Grin
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4537 on: December 01, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »

Congrats, Gebre.

That was one hell of a game between two great teams. Couldn't have been much closer, but someone's gotta lose. Just glad it was a good game! Still proud to be a dawg!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:22:46 PM by Timon » Logged

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4538 on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:09 AM »

Congrats, Gebre.

That was one hell of a game between two great teams. Couldn't have been much closer, but someone's gotta lose. Just glad it was a good game! Still proud to be a dawg!!!

Thank you for that show of class and sportsmanship.

Wow. Incredible game. My heart is still racing. I still don't know how we pulled that one out. A great game by both teams. UGA has a lot to be proud of. Y'all gave us a true "dawg fight." Congrats on a well played game. You all have a lot to look forward to in the future. I thought it was gonna be y'alls night, but my Crimson Tide rose to the top once again. I am so proud right now. But UGA should be proud too.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4539 on: December 02, 2012, 03:40:54 AM »

What a beautiful, happy night. Crimson stars illumine the canopy of space, accompanying the perpetual roar of an irrepressible TIDE. And no barking Dawgs. Life is good. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!   

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4540 on: December 02, 2012, 03:40:59 AM »

Roll Notre Dame!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4541 on: December 02, 2012, 04:19:03 AM »

Roll Notre Dame!
O-VER-RAT-ED!!!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4542 on: December 02, 2012, 04:31:56 AM »

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4543 on: December 02, 2012, 04:52:00 AM »

Rudy Ruettiger doesn't play for Notre Dame anymore.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:58:40 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4544 on: December 02, 2012, 04:54:32 AM »

I thought that was Sam Gamgee  Huh  Tongue

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: