OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 10:28:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415142 times) Average Rating: 5
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4410 on: November 18, 2012, 10:18:51 PM »

Went to see UofL's basketball game tonight, sat in a presidential suite, got a pic with Darrell Griffith, etc. Pretty sweet experience overall.

Cool! "Dr. Dunkenstein" was the man!

Selam

I'll add you on FB so you can behold the picture in all its glory.  angel

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4411 on: November 19, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »

On a day when the BCS No. 1 went down to defeat for the second straight week--Kansas State 24, Baylor 58--so did No. 2.

Oregon Ducks 14, Stanford 17 (OT)

Very good defensive game by the Cardinal. Each team gained over 400 yards total offense, but neither team could really take advantage of their best opportunities. Oregon 0 for 2 on FG attempts, and Stanford 3 turnovers against only one takeaway. But the Cardinal got the FG they needed after Oregon's FG miss in OT.

Be ready, Gebre. For the second straight year, your Tide may just make it into the BCS title game through the back door.

ROLL BAYLOR BEARS and ROLL STANFORD CARDINAL!!!

Peter, a BAMA v. Oregon National Championship would be a great game. But my TIDE still has some work to do yet. However, we are definitely back in it now!!!  Grin Grin Grin

Selam
Notre Dame is undoubtedly going to rise to No. 1 in the BCS standings as the only bowl-eligible unbeaten, and Ohio State is banished from postseason play this year even if they beat Michigan next week to finish the season unbeaten. That leaves the Number 2 slot wide open.

A number of teams will finish this weekend with only one loss, the most notable among them being Oregon, Kansas State, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Alabama and Georgia are in prime position to advance to a matchup against each other in the SEC Title Game, which will realistically leave only one of them still standing in the hunt for a berth in the BCS title game. Florida has one game left against a Florida State team that has also lost only once. Oregon no longer controls their own destiny in the race for a matchup with UCLA in the Pac-12 Title Game, for if Stanford beats UCLA next week or Oregon loses the Civil War game at Corvallis, Stanford will win the title game berth from the Pac-12 North--Stanford owns the tiebreaker as a result of their win today. Not playing in the Pac-12 Championship Game will deprive the Ducks of another quality opponent they need to strengthen their schedule after the pansies they played in their early season non-conference games. (I just noticed that Duck opponents Arkansas State and Fresno State are each 8-3 right now, so I really don't know that I can call them pansies anymore.)

I also note that Oregon lost in OT at home to highly ranked Stanford, Alabama lost by 5 at home to highly ranked Texas A&M, and Kansas State got blown out by unranked Baylor. That loss won't sit well with the pollsters for sure, so the Wildcates are pretty much out of contention for No. 2. In the final analysis, I favor Alabama to claim the No. 2 spot in tomorrow's BCS standings, if only because they play in the SEC, the best conference in NCAA football.

BTW, Notre Dame plays a very good USC team next week. GO TROJANS! Grin Grin Grin
What did I tell you?

The BCS Standings now:
1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Oregon

Three SEC teams in the top 5, two of whom will likely play each other in the SEC Title Game.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4412 on: November 19, 2012, 12:43:38 AM »

a very good USC team

lol

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #4413 on: November 19, 2012, 01:13:47 AM »

This guy is one of my favorite sports-writers nobody knows about. His work is pretty much the only reason I know anything at all about college football.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4414 on: November 19, 2012, 01:48:48 AM »

Well, I guess we'll see just how deep they are this weekend. Lane Kiffin has essentially ruled out playing injured QB Matt Barkley, so USC will have to go with their backup.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4415 on: November 19, 2012, 02:48:39 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

BYRON VICK FOOTBALL LEFTWICH WOWWWWW

Yeah we sort of just gave that to you.  If Steelers were paying attention to the last four Ravens' games perhaps they would have ran the ball even more, Ravens' couldn't stop a conversion on a run for their life, but Letfwich kept throwing those bombers, which looked nice, but did little.  See y'all in two weeks Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4416 on: November 19, 2012, 02:54:15 AM »

The Steelers dressed like criminals and they Leftwich played like a bum.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4417 on: November 19, 2012, 03:01:52 AM »

Looks as if Tom Brady made a powerful statement to newcomer Andrew Luck tonight: "You aren't Tom Brady." laugh For the game, Luck threw just as many TD passes to Patriot defenders (2 pick sixes) as he did to his own receivers (2). laugh
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:05:10 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4418 on: November 19, 2012, 03:05:53 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Looks as if Tom Brady made a powerful statement to newcomer Andrew Luck tonight: "You aren't Tom Brady." laugh For the game, Luck threw just as many TD passes to Patriot defenders as he did to his own receivers. laugh

That is true, Patriots have been putting up NCAA Basketball numbers lately!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4419 on: November 19, 2012, 12:22:10 PM »

On a day when the BCS No. 1 went down to defeat for the second straight week--Kansas State 24, Baylor 58--so did No. 2.

Very good defensive game by the Cardinal. Each team gained over 400 yards total offense, but neither team could really take advantage of their best opportunities. Oregon 0 for 2 on FG attempts, and Stanford 3 turnovers against only one takeaway. But the Cardinal got the FG they needed after Oregon's FG miss in OT.

Be ready, Gebre. For the second straight year, your Tide may just make it into the BCS title game through the back door.

Peter, a BAMA v. Oregon National Championship would be a great game. But my TIDE still has some work to do yet. However, we are definitely back in it now!!!  Grin Grin Grin

Selam
Notre Dame is undoubtedly going to rise to No. 1 in the BCS standings as the only bowl-eligible unbeaten, and Ohio State is banished from postseason play this year even if they beat Michigan next week to finish the season unbeaten. That leaves the Number 2 slot wide open.

A number of teams will finish this weekend with only one loss, the most notable among them being Oregon, Kansas State, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Alabama and Georgia are in prime position to advance to a matchup against each other in the SEC Title Game, which will realistically leave only one of them still standing in the hunt for a berth in the BCS title game. Florida has one game left against a Florida State team that has also lost only once. Oregon no longer controls their own destiny in the race for a matchup with UCLA in the Pac-12 Title Game, for if Stanford beats UCLA next week or Oregon loses the Civil War game at Corvallis, Stanford will win the title game berth from the Pac-12 North--Stanford owns the tiebreaker as a result of their win today. Not playing in the Pac-12 Championship Game will deprive the Ducks of another quality opponent they need to strengthen their schedule after the pansies they played in their early season non-conference games. (I just noticed that Duck opponents Arkansas State and Fresno State are each 8-3 right now, so I really don't know that I can call them pansies anymore.)

I also note that Oregon lost in OT at home to highly ranked Stanford, Alabama lost by 5 at home to highly ranked Texas A&M, and Kansas State got blown out by unranked Baylor. That loss won't sit well with the pollsters for sure, so the Wildcates are pretty much out of contention for No. 2. In the final analysis, I favor Alabama to claim the No. 2 spot in tomorrow's BCS standings, if only because they play in the SEC, the best conference in NCAA football.

BTW, Notre Dame plays a very good USC team next week. GO TROJANS! Grin Grin Grin
What did I tell you?

The BCS Standings now:
1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Oregon

Three SEC teams in the top 5, two of whom will likely play each other in the SEC Title Game.

I'm not sure why Oregon dropped so far down. I guess it's just because of when they lost. But I'm pulling for a ND v BAMA title game. I'd love to beat the Fighting Irish! But Georgia might have something to say about that. I'm happy to be back in the hunt though! RTR!!!

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4420 on: November 19, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »

I'm not sure why Oregon dropped so far down. I guess

Selam

It takes a Ouija board to figure out college football standings Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4421 on: November 19, 2012, 04:27:47 PM »

Sans the TD punt return, our D stopped your offense at 6 points, if I'm not mistaken 3 points. Flaccid and his offense sucked it up.

With BB it would have been an easy win.

Glad to see Wallace doesn't want to make Fitzy money, dude's not even worth a franchise tag. See ya later Mikey.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:01:01 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4422 on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

Oh and btw yes the return for a TD was horrible, but the refs seemed to have missed illegal blocks that should have called it back. Wallace fumbled, and some say he didn't protect the ball, but if you look at it closely it's hard to be sure he even had full control.

Ravens did nothing last night and we dominated.

Mike Adams needs some help at the line, I feel bad for the kid. He's got a great attitude but he's got alot of pressure on him as a rookie. A few more seasons with strength and conditioning and he should be great at RT. Can't wait for DD to come back too.

BB needs to heal and hopefully no nerve damage. He's been playing at such a high level.

Batch is getting old and Leftwich isn't the answer either. Hopefully we can draft a backup QB next year.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:50:19 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4423 on: November 19, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »

Ravens did nothing last night and we dominated.

Haha, such a cute revisionist viewpoint about last night's game, I'd swear you were a fire and brimstone "Apostolic" Baptist  angel

Trust me, we all wished Big Ben was in it last night so our win in Pittsburgh wouldn't have the asterisk of sans the starting QB, but in the spirit of the late Al Davis, a win is a win baby! We just got the cushion we needed to recover our injured and limping defense in time for the post-season and hopefully we will see y'all Steelers there Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4424 on: November 19, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »

By the way, I support Ed Reed's suspension for that ugly hit in the 3rd against Sanders, when I saw that live I knew it was going to be a fine, and since Ed can't seem to avoid these kinds of bad hits (its his career third) he was suspended.  Good for the NFL, they need to make these kinds of statements.  After the Hayward-Bey hit by the Steelers in Game 1 against Raiders when most of America watching though Darrius was lying DEAD on the field for nine minutes, we all as fans need a wake up call. Big Rich's hit to Big Ben aside (that was a fight on the field, not a bad play), I do NOT support ugly football, just like I don't support the bad attitude basketball of the likes of the dirty Celtics or Mavericks.  Ugly is ugly, and it has no place in sports.  Its a job and entertainment, not an opportunity to try to intentionally seriously hurt people.  

Of course I must admit, there is positive caveat to this suspension, Ed hasn't been playing like himself for the past four games because of a shoulder injury, and if Harbough wasn't going to finally rest him a game I'm glad the NFL stepped in  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:52:08 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4425 on: November 19, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »

Selam

What did I tell you?

The BCS Standings now:
1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Oregon

I'm not sure why Oregon dropped so far down. I guess it's just because of when they lost. But I'm pulling for a ND v BAMA title game. I'd love to beat the Fighting Irish! But Georgia might have something to say about that. I'm happy to be back in the hunt though! RTR!!!

Selam
I don't care if I tick you off by saying this, but for the sake of my Ducks, I must.  GO AUBURN! Grin
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4426 on: November 19, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »

Some guy in class started 'splaining to me in excruciating detail about why Notre Dame is gonna lose to Alabama and I was like lol, wut.

Side effect of only ever watching or following your team, I guess.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4427 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »

Am I a horrible sports fan if I like Notre Dame?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4428 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »

Well, I do, so... yeah, you probably are.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4429 on: November 19, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »

Just to keep this going, no, its liking the Steelers that makes you a horrible sports fan.  angel angel angel

Though Pittsburgh really doesn't make my list of the top 5 worst cities for sports, it should get honorable mention.. Hmm.. maybe I could revise my list and instead of putting Phillie at the number 2 I can expand and make it the entirety of Pennsylvania?  A lot of mean-spirited hockey and football would suddenly jump on that list, but could the Eagles-Steelers co-exist as one singularly spiteful fan-base?

As a reminder to those who may have forgotten Achronos and my previous discussion about the worst cities for sports, my list is (1) Boston (2) Phillie (3) Los Angeles (4) Cleveland (5) Dallas

Cleveland should be number one, but (a) I am from LA and we HATE Boston more than Pittsburgh hates Baltimore and (b) Cleveland fans are so bellicose they probably would WANT to top the list, so  have to deny them that joy out of the sheer spirit of the American tradition of kicking Cleveland in the sports' crotch repeatedly Wink

: We rioted against the real refs? Remember?
God may hate Cleveland, but deep down, we kind of hate everyone else.
—Adam, Cleveland

SG: My bad, my bad. I have no excuse. Cleveland's already lost enough. At the very least, you should have been the no. 2 co-favorites with Philly. By the way, only Cleveland fans would complain about being left off a "Which fans are the most likely ones to be involved in a replacement referee riot?" debate.
 Bill Simmons mailbag

haha!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:30:23 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4430 on: November 19, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »

That list of the top 5 worst sports cities is spot on. Boston truly is the worst sports city on the planet, and I think they have created a chasm between it and Philly, it's really that awful.

BTW that fine/suspension on Reed is complete and utter garbage. The union came up short on this. They should have refused to sign any deal that didn't include outside arbitration and appeals, with players or former players on the panel. Right now it's all Goodell.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4431 on: November 19, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »

Trust me, we all wished Big Ben was in it last night so our win in Pittsburgh wouldn't have the asterisk of sans the starting QB, but in the spirit of the late Al Davis, a win is a win baby! We just got the cushion we needed to recover our injured and limping defense in time for the post-season and hopefully we will see y'all Steelers there Wink

Ok, I joke a lot on here, but this post is meant completely seriously. If you really think the Ravens would have come close to winning last night, had Ben played, you really are delusional. Like capital d delusional. Seriously.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4432 on: November 19, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »

Ok, I joke a lot on here, but this post is meant completely seriously. If you really think the Ravens would have come close to winning last night, had Ben played, you really are delusional. Like capital d delusional. Seriously.
Just goes to show the importance of having a great quarterback, the most important position in the game.

I was laughing when Ray Lewis ran onto the field shouting, you didn't even blow us out you idiot. Like I said, if we had BB we would have won, big.

Our D played awesome. And whatever money Wallace wanted (50+mil) hand it over to Keenan Lewis. He has been improving every single game and he rocked last night.

Like I have said time and time again, whenever Flaccid needs to show up for a big game, he comes up impotent everytime. Dude isn't even, and his own words "the greatest QB" and hardly elite.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:48:51 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4433 on: November 19, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »

All we need to do is lockup the Wild Card spot, get the W's where we need them until BB is healthy for playoffs.

Surprisingly I feel confident we can make it to the Bowl, even with our injuries.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4434 on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:20 PM »

Just caught a tweet about Plaxico Burress going to Pittsburgh for a physical. I guess we need more in WR corps since Brown is out and I think Cotchery might be out too after that hard hit last night. Gilreath didn't do so well either.

He's got that Megatron height and might be effective in the red zone if he has anything left in the tank. I could careless about him spurning us for the Giants, if having him means another ring, so be it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:01:50 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4435 on: November 20, 2012, 12:37:29 AM »

Just goes to show the importance of having a great quarterback, the most important position in the game.

I was laughing when Ray Lewis ran onto the field shouting, you didn't even blow us out you idiot. Like I said, if we had BB we would have won, big.

Our D played awesome. And whatever money Wallace wanted (50+mil) hand it over to Keenan Lewis. He has been improving every single game and he rocked last night.

Like I have said time and time again, whenever Flaccid needs to show up for a big game, he comes up impotent everytime. Dude isn't even, and his own words "the greatest QB" and hardly elite.

To support Asteriktos' point, Ray Lewis ran onto the field because he and everybody else knows exactly how banged up the Ravens are and how much a lucky break is.  But when it comes to the rivalry, Baltimore will take a fairer loss then a questionable win, so we could use the W because of our season, however we know all you Steelers folks are snickering over there, and we want to stick it you as much win a Superbowl, in fact, we consider the two one and the same goal.

In regards to QB, you are absolutely correct, look at San Francisco tonight, their back up was real deal, where as Foles and Campbell were complete duds..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4436 on: November 20, 2012, 12:47:32 AM »

Have you seen the reaction video when the Ravens lost last year from some fan?

It was priceless.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4437 on: November 20, 2012, 12:49:20 AM »

How about my boy Durant. Triple Double baby, and I think that's his first.

I haven't looked at any websites covering OKC Thunder news because it was all doom and gloom when Harden got traded, I was just getting so sick of it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:49:47 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4438 on: November 20, 2012, 02:40:40 AM »

Have you seen the reaction video when the Ravens lost last year from some fan?

It was priceless.

Was it me Wink

Listen we all know that Ravens were a bad call, a bad catch, and a bad kick away from the Superbowl, easy on the gloating there.

Again, we'll see ya in three weeks and if y'all feel so snug, then best to believe y'all should be hoping for Big Ben to come back, or you'll have nothing to gloat over this season.

As to Thunder, they better stop fighting on the court and find their joy again, that is what made that team special, though more and more I am realizing that 2009-2012 Thunder was a unique moment in basketball, which even they can't repeat or keep up.  We instead need to revel in the memory of what it was, and what it could be.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:42:55 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4439 on: November 20, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »

Selam

What did I tell you?

The BCS Standings now:
1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Oregon

Selam
I don't care if I tick you off by saying this, but for the sake of my Ducks, I must.  GO AUBURN! Grin

I can't fault you for that. I was gearing up to pull for USC, which was not going to be pleasant. Don't like them at all.

Selam

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4440 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »

I am predicting a Louisville win in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament this week.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4441 on: November 21, 2012, 01:11:19 AM »

What I love most about the NFL, even between one of the fiercest rivalries we can find some fun and friendship between Ravens resident suited-and-booted Ed Reed and Steelers class clown Ryan Clark.  Like The Game said, "Business never personal."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4442 on: November 21, 2012, 01:29:38 AM »

Wow that Georgetown/IU game. Good effort Hoyas, if only they could have unseated Indiana!

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4443 on: November 21, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »

How did Butler beat UNC?  The world is about to end.  Duke, ok, because they are just that much better than anyone, but Butler?  Come on!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4444 on: November 21, 2012, 02:36:17 AM »

By the way, I support Ed Reed's suspension for that ugly hit in the 3rd against Sanders, when I saw that live I knew it was going to be a fine, and since Ed can't seem to avoid these kinds of bad hits (its his career third) he was suspended.  Good for the NFL, they need to make these kinds of statements.  After the Hayward-Bey hit by the Steelers in Game 1 against Raiders when most of America watching though Darrius was lying DEAD on the field for nine minutes, we all as fans need a wake up call. Big Rich's hit to Big Ben aside (that was a fight on the field, not a bad play), I do NOT support ugly football, just like I don't support the bad attitude basketball of the likes of the dirty Celtics or Mavericks.  Ugly is ugly, and it has no place in sports.  Its a job and entertainment, not an opportunity to try to intentionally seriously hurt people.  

Of course I must admit, there is positive caveat to this suspension, Ed hasn't been playing like himself for the past four games because of a shoulder injury, and if Harbough wasn't going to finally rest him a game I'm glad the NFL stepped in  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie
You do realize that the NFL has since rescinded Reed's suspension and settled merely for a fine? Slow-mo of the video shows that Reed turned his head to lessen the impact, and Sanders lowered his shoulder pads moments before impact, thus putting his head in harm's way. Hence, the final judgment is evidently that Reed did not intend to make helmet-to-helmet contact with Sanders.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:36:35 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4445 on: November 21, 2012, 01:21:44 PM »

You do realize that the NFL has since rescinded Reed's suspension and settled merely for a fine? Slow-mo of the video shows that Reed turned his head to lessen the impact, and Sanders lowered his shoulder pads moments before impact, thus putting his head in harm's way. Hence, the final judgment is evidently that Reed did not intend to make helmet-to-helmet contact with Sanders.

Yes I saw they bailed Ed out because of his generally outstanding character as a player and figure within the NFL community.  However, I watched the hit live, I knew a fine was forthcoming.  I supported the suspension in the sense of (a) it was a bad hit and (b) it was his career third.  I further support the NFL's decision to rescind the suspension and opt for a fine, initially I never thought he'd be suspended in the first place, rather just fined, so it all squares out.  Personally, it think that John needs to rest Reed because that nagging shoulder injury of his has been negatively effecting his game in the past few weeks (less tackles, less hits, less impact on the field than we expect) at it seems he could honestly use it!

So if anything, I am all the more concerned.  We could beat the Chargers this Sunday without Ed on the field, but if Ed isn't 100% by playoffs we won't be able to stop the Texans or the Steelers, teams we very well likely will meet  Undecided

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:22:52 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4446 on: November 21, 2012, 08:17:04 PM »

I applaud the fan... but there is no stopping the Bettman...

macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4447 on: November 22, 2012, 02:52:02 AM »

Association Football: Macclesfield Town (English Conference National), Aberystwyth Town (Welsh Premier League), Swansea (Welsh club in English Premier League), Chelsea (English Premier League), USA (International), England (International), Wales (International)

Rugby Union: Sale Sharks (Aviva Premiership), Llanelli Scarlets (Pro 12), USA (International), England (International), and Wales (International)

American Football: University of Louisiana at Lafayette (Collegiate), Kentucky (Collegiate), and New Orleans Saints (NFL)

Basketball: Kentucky (Collegiate), New York Knicks (NBA), and USA (International)

Baseball: Texas Rangers (MLB)

Cricket: Lancashire County (England's County Championship), Chennai Super Kings (Indian Premier League), and England (International)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:52:37 AM by macclesfieldfan1990 » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4448 on: November 22, 2012, 03:17:38 AM »

NCAA investigating the Barn. Could the Aubbies be cheating once again? What a shocker.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sources--ncaa-investigating-auburn-s-football-program-201343758.html;_ylt=AlEvTcFrJJ0LMY6KRtmGL4o5nYcB;_ylu=X3oDMTQ0a2ZhZDJuBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBTUE9SVFMgRlAEcGtnAzRmZTAwNTY4LTE0ODQtMzRhYS1hYjg3LWRkM2ZkZTQ0YThiNwRwb3MDMgRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyA2MxMzk4NWIzLTM0MWItMTFlMi1hM2ZhLWUzYmY2NDNhMTc5Yw--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Selam

macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4449 on: November 22, 2012, 03:21:59 AM »

Like it matters, they are terrible this season.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4450 on: November 22, 2012, 04:25:29 AM »

Yeah, you would think that if they're gonna cheat they could at least win more than 3 games. But I guess they did get their money's worth with Cash Newton.

Selam

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4451 on: November 22, 2012, 10:19:39 AM »

Rugby Union: Sale Sharks (Aviva Premiership), Llanelli Scarlets (Pro 12), USA (International), England (International), and Wales (International)

Blech, i dont know if there is a side that I desire more than the English. Wait, that's a lie, I hate the All Blacks and the Oz more.

BOKKE!!!!!

SCREW BON JOVI!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #4452 on: November 22, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »

Blech, i dont know if there is a side that I desire

Uh, don't you mean despise?  Huh

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4453 on: November 22, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »

woooooooowww im an idiot, i shall revise my earlier post to say despise, and not desire. yes, despise was the intended meaning and wording.

thank you biro

SCREW BON JOVI!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #4454 on: November 22, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »

woooooooowww im an idiot, i shall revise my earlier post to say despise, and not desire. yes, despise was the intended meaning and wording.

thank you biro

You're welcome. Sorry to be picky.  Wink

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: