OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:17:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 404466 times) Average Rating: 5
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4140 on: October 07, 2012, 02:25:16 AM »

Notre Dame rules

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #4141 on: October 07, 2012, 02:29:02 AM »

Notre Dame rules

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4142 on: October 07, 2012, 02:29:22 AM »

Today the two Oregon schools demonstrated their superiority over the two Washington schools with a clean sweep of the Dawgs and Cougs.

First, the #14 Beavers, despite playing poorly enough offensively to lose to any other team in the Pac 12, still had enough to beat one of the weakest teams in the nation in the Washington State Cougars. Beaver DB Jordan Poyer, with the entire varsity football team from his high school alma mater in the stadium watching, picked off three passes to make up for the three interceptions his teammate Sean Mannion threw as OSU beat WSU 19-6.

Later, the #2 Ducks made quick work of the #23 Washington Huskies by jumping out to a 35-7 halftime lead with their hurry-up offense and coasting to an easy 52-21 win. Duck freshman QB Marcus Mariota had another efficient day, throwing 4 TD passes against only one pick, and RB Kenjon Barner led all rushers for the game with 122 yards on 20 carries.

Overall, a very good day for Oregon's two major universities as they improved their combined football record to 10-0. Next week the Ducks get the weekend off as the Beavers travel to Provo, Utah, to play a non-conference game against the Cougars of BYU.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:31:04 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4143 on: October 07, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »

‎2. Bundesliga: 1860 München 0 - 3 Hertha Berlin
http://www.bundesliga.com/en/stats/matchday/

English Premier League: Manchester United 3 - 0 Newcastle United
http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-And-Results/Match-Reports/2012/Oct/newcastle-v-manchester-united-premier-league-report.aspx

Forgive my sins.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4144 on: October 07, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4145 on: October 08, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »

Tippeligaen: Rosenborg 1 - 0 Odd Grenland
http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/10/07/sport/fotball/tippeligaen/rosenborg/odd_grenland/23762809/

Danish Superliga: F.C. København 2 - 2 Esbjerg fB
http://www.fck.dk/0710_esbjerg_fb_-_fc_koebenhavn/

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4146 on: October 08, 2012, 01:15:42 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Last week two college teams have 700 yard games.  Today the 49erz had a 621 yard game, setting a franchise record..  This may just be my last season following football Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:17:57 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4147 on: October 08, 2012, 01:32:46 AM »

Notre Dame is a stone's throw from me:

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4148 on: October 08, 2012, 01:35:17 AM »

The just gave the Giants a drubbing.

I really have no dog in this fight other than a good buddy of mine is a huge fan. So it would be nice if the Reds don't fold.

Glad to see the Gals loss yet again today.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4149 on: October 08, 2012, 01:38:54 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The just gave the Giants a drubbing.

Good, somebody needs too Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4150 on: October 08, 2012, 03:25:14 AM »

Last week two college teams have 700 yard games.  Today the 49erz had a 621 yard game, setting a franchise record..  This may just be my last season following football Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I take it you're a fan of good defense.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4151 on: October 08, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »

Haha! Yes!  What is amazing to me to think is that the Ravens have the 2nd ranked Offense this season, and are still in the bottom twenty on defense!! It is bizarro world all the more when the new Falcons defense is eating teams for breakfast and knocking quarterbacks out of games.  I am defensive oriented, I like heavy hitting defense teams, but the tables seem to be turning around the NFL..

Oh yeah, Matt Ryan just pushed the Falcons into a new era, their first time 5-0 in franchise history! Good for him Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4152 on: October 08, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

My brother just signed a contract with Lillestrøm of Tippeligaen!

That's awesome, I hopefully I'll never have to play against my brother though. Wink

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4153 on: October 08, 2012, 07:49:31 PM »

Springboks 16-32 All Blacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIAXDEKqQwg&feature=share

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/happened-all-blacks-v-springboks-5118980

Forgive my sins.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4154 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »

boooo Sad

we played like CRAP seriously. so many silly, silly, unforced errors and crappy kicking that lost the game for us.

SCREW BON JOVI!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4155 on: October 08, 2012, 11:50:17 PM »

This is amazing!

Creed singer Scott Stapp says mutual love for Alabama football helped rapper T.I. save him from suicidehttp://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8Ctr?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=alabama-crimson-tide-football

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4156 on: October 09, 2012, 11:32:45 AM »

Norgesserien: Rosenborg 1 - 0 Odd Grenland
http://www.rbk.no/news/article/7rdjfrnfm1nl1ghizwrgiwxxz/title/matchvinner-i-egen-jubileumskamp

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4157 on: October 09, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »

Haha! Yes!  What is amazing to me to think is that the Ravens have the 2nd ranked Offense this season, and are still in the bottom twenty on defense!! It is bizarro world all the more when the new Falcons defense is eating teams for breakfast and knocking quarterbacks out of games.  I am defensive oriented, I like heavy hitting defense teams, but the tables seem to be turning around the NFL..
You do realize that as an offense becomes more oriented toward scoring a lot of points and less so toward controlling the ball and the clock, they will actually give their opponents' offenses more opportunities to move the ball and score themselves? It doesn't surprise me at all that the Ravens are now giving up more yards.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4158 on: October 09, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »

You do realize that as an offense becomes more oriented toward scoring a lot of points and less so toward controlling the ball and the clock, they will actually give their opponents' offenses more opportunities to move the ball and score themselves? It doesn't surprise me at all that the Ravens are now giving up more yards.

Yes but that is entirely the point. Its not just yards that Ravens are giving up, more crucially its point!! Even last season the Ravens strategy and style was to run their game through Defense, by stopping teams from scoring and stopping teams from getting the opportunity to score.  Ravens were excellent at causing turnovers and at blocking completions, so even against teams with explosive offense, such opponents would naturally score less.  It wasn't necessarily about possession time, just about letting the defense smother the other team. Now, its not just about points allowed, but the entire Ravens defense isn't looking half as sharp, as aggressive, as smothering as even last season.  We lost a few guys, and Suggs is out on injuries, but personnel isn't everything, its also the coordinators and the plays.  For example, Atlanta didn't exactly add anything (we did get Asante Samuel and I feel he is making a big impact) but we did get a new coordinator in Mike Nolan and his strategies and plays are radically different than anything Falcons have used before.  The team is buying into it and its working.  In Baltimore, the team has shifted more so towards offense, and it wasn't that offense was lacking for them, its that their defense was more consistently involved in every game.  Hopefully this past Kansas City game was a turning point since they shut em out to 9-6, but even KC got 325 yards out of it, and for Ravens to have been allowing teams to consistently get above 300 is unspeakable.  Than again, we are creeping up on 700 yard games, so maybe you're right, maybe for this season 400 yards is the new 300 so Ravens would be about where they should be?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4159 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »

Yes but that is entirely the point. Its not just yards that Ravens are giving up, more crucially its point!!
But opportunities for more yards also means opportunities for more points. The key to understanding this is that teams who score quickly and often will give themselves and their opponents more possessions, which translates into more yards and more points, than those offenses who take their times and burn off large chunks of the clock in the process of driving to a score. Reading your reply, I'm not sure you quite understand that yet.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4160 on: October 10, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »

Yes but that is entirely the point. Its not just yards that Ravens are giving up, more crucially its point!!
But opportunities for more yards also means opportunities for more points. The key to understanding this is that teams who score quickly and often will give themselves and their opponents more possessions, which translates into more yards and more points, than those offenses who take their times and burn off large chunks of the clock in the process of driving to a score. Reading your reply, I'm not sure you quite understand that yet.

Please, don't be so condescending, its unbecoming of you Smiley

I'm not quite sure you understand what exactly I am criticising about Ravens new defense.  Its not just about yards gained or lost to me, its about the lack of smothering coverage and pressure on the offense, less interceptions and blocks, weaker defensive plays drawn up, and less turnovers in general, in other words an entirely unrecognizable Ravens!

I understand what you are saying, I just disagree with it as a strategy.  Ravens strategy has largely been NOT to score more themselves and not to play faster offense like you mentioned.  You are right, Flacco running mostly no-huddle has dramatically increased the pace of their offense which again, is both gaining and subsequently giving up more yards. I agree completely with your analysis there..

However and again, just because you give a team 400 yards doesn't mean you necessarily give up points.  Turn-overs, forcing punts, and generally smothering the offense allows for (a) the clock to get chewed up which benefits a lead and (b) shut out teams to low scoring situations.  Yards do not always translate into touchdowns, and that is precisely where defense plays so heavily into teams like Baltimore.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:09:49 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4161 on: October 10, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »

Under Harbaugh at home, the Ravens have:

• Allowed an average of only 13.9 points per game, the best figure in the league; Pittsburgh is second at 14.7.

• Produced league highs of 111 interceptions and 209 sacks.

• Averaged a victory margin of 14.3 points.
Elias Stats and Info

stay blessed,
habte selassie

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4162 on: October 10, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »

Reds...

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4163 on: October 10, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »

Reds...

ALWAYS bet against Cincinnati.

Under all circumstances. No matter what.

Hope for the sake of my buddies, they are able to at least get to the play-offs or whatever they call it.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #4164 on: October 10, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »

According to my friends who like baseball, they've been in the playoffs. Not sure what they're gonna do next.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #4165 on: October 10, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »

According to my friends who like baseball, they've been in the playoffs. Not sure what they're gonna do next.

in theory? win the NL, and then play in the world series. what they will do, most likely> lose

SCREW BON JOVI!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4166 on: October 10, 2012, 11:36:29 PM »

in theory? win the NL, and then play in the world series. what they will do, most likely> lose

It's not the "playoffs" it's the "postseason".

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4167 on: October 10, 2012, 11:38:03 PM »

If they win tomorrow they advance to the National League Championship Series. Win that and they play whoever won the American League in the World Series.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4168 on: October 10, 2012, 11:45:51 PM »

I hate the idea of play-offs. TBH

Round-Robin single season for ALL sports, anyone?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:46:01 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4169 on: October 11, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »

It's hard to imagine another NBA dynasty happening — the league is too talented, too deep and too smart. (You're right, I got carried away. Let's tweak that last part to "so much smarter than it was.") Instead, we'll see more of a word that doesn't exist and absolutely should. I'm thinking it's a hybrid word for "contender" and "dynasty," something that captures contenders who remained relevant for a significant stretch and won at least one championship.

The word? Dynastender.
Grantland.com

HAHAHAHAHA!!  Bill Simmons strikes again, I just love this dude

stay blessed,
habte selassie

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4170 on: October 11, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »

However and again, just because you give a team 400 yards doesn't mean you necessarily give up points.  Turn-overs, forcing punts, and generally smothering the offense allows for...
In the same argument, you refer to allowing an opponent 400 yards while smothering their offense.  Are you sure you understand what you're talking about?
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4171 on: October 11, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »

Ja, ja, blah.  European soccer has the Champions League, which is essentially the same thing as a playoff.  If there's one universal in sport, it's the fact that fans like seeing the winners pitted against winners.  How is this a bad thing?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4172 on: October 11, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »

Reds...

Hope for the sake of my buddies, they are able to at least get to the play-offs or whatever they call it.

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4173 on: October 11, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »

Reds...

How could they mess up so bad?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4174 on: October 11, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »

Reds...

Except when its against Pittsburgh.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4175 on: October 11, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »

Ja, ja, blah.  European soccer has the Champions League, which is essentially the same thing as a playoff.  If there's one universal in sport, it's the fact that fans like seeing the winners pitted against winners.  How is this a bad thing?

The European Cup is completely different because of the number of clubs competing. But there is a round robin group stage, and after/prior to the group stage there are home-away series played between the clubs (in pairs) in each round all the way to the final (in neutral venue). Hmmm, sounds like a ROUND-ROBIN!!!

Each national league (Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc for every country) has a round robin (two games against each team, once at home, once away) tournament season (or in case of some countries 1.5 round robin aka each club plays three games against each team, either once at home and twice away or vice-versa) (most without play-offs), that's what my initial post was about. The European Cup is just an international tournament for qualifying teams from the national leagues, not a league itself. DUH.

Please, learn about how football works before you critique it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:47:53 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4176 on: October 11, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »

I'm 4-1 in fantasy football right now, and shouldn't have a problem with my matchup this week...

(...please no injuries, please no injuries, please no injuries...)

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4177 on: October 11, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »

Ike Taylor is complete garbage.

Pouncy and Gilbert out? Are you serious? We should have Dan Rooney at tackle now.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #4178 on: October 11, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »

The European Cup is completely different because of the number of clubs competing. But there is a round robin group stage, and after/prior to the group stage there are home-away series played between the clubs (in pairs) in each round all the way to the final (in neutral venue). Hmmm, sounds like a ROUND-ROBIN!!!

Each national league (Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc for every country) has a round robin (two games against each team, once at home, once away) tournament season (or in case of some countries 1.5 round robin aka each club plays three games against each team, either once at home and twice away or vice-versa) (most without play-offs), that's what my initial post was about. The European Cup is just an international tournament for qualifying teams from the national leagues, not a league itself. DUH.

Please, learn about how football works before you critique it. Thanks.

round robins are important, and i like seeing group stages for prelims, but the need for playoffs is still there.

Also, i would call the home/home in the later stages a series, and as such playoffs, but on that point, it is just semantics.

The majority of world cups use playoffs in the later rounds, from the rugby world up, to  soccer,. the hockey championships do too, not to mention the olympics.

IM a fan of the hybrid systems in place personally, use round robin to get like, 8 teams or so(whatever the number needs to be), and then advance to playoffs.

The Currie Sup also does this, for rugby in south africa.

I do like series tho, bests of 7s, better than single games tho, but thats just me.

SCREW BON JOVI!
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4179 on: October 11, 2012, 10:20:39 PM »

Also, i would call the home/home in the later stages a series, and as such playoffs, but on that point, it is just semantics.

A round-robin tournament (or all-play-all tournament) is a competition "in which each contestant meets all other contestants in turn" - Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged (1971, G. & C. Merriam Co), p.1980

Forgive my sins.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #4180 on: October 11, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »

A round-robin tournament (or all-play-all tournament) is a competition "in which each contestant meets all other contestants in turn" - Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged (1971, G. & C. Merriam Co), p.1980

I was referring to what they did starting with the round of 16.

(als, im sorry if my tone comes off as nasty, i dont mean it to be)

SCREW BON JOVI!
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4181 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »

That's what I was referencing. Wink

Forgive my sins.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #4182 on: October 11, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »

In which case, either/and: A: im confused by what you are saying B: we are arguing about semantics

from the UEFA site  "Knockout phase
From the last 16 until the semi-finals, clubs play two matches against each other on a home-and-away basis with the same rules as the qualifying and play-off rounds applied. In the last 16, group winners play runners-up other than teams from their own pool or nation, while from the quarter-finals on the draw is free."
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2013/matches/round=2000348/index.html

that is exactly what i would call playoffs/postseason(because, to me, they are the same words, po/ps)

there is a ladder involved, and the winner of the home and home series moves on to face the winner of another home and home, and so forth, until the final, which is a single game. this ladder structure is what playoffs are all to me, and not a round robin.

a round robin to me would be

A, B,C, D are in the championships
AvB, AvC, AvD
BvA, Bvc, BvD
CvA, CvB, CvD
DvA, DvB, DvC

and the winner would be declared the person with the most points, like in the french league for soccer.

playoffs(im rambling a bit, just to make sure I'm kinda going clear)

A,B, C, D again

AvD

BvC

and then, winner of AD v winner of BC, and the winner of that is the championship, and that is what i call playoffs.

SCREW BON JOVI!
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4183 on: October 12, 2012, 12:12:52 AM »

In which case, either/and: A: im confused by what you are saying B: we are arguing about semantics

from the UEFA site  "Knockout phase
From the last 16 until the semi-finals, clubs play two matches against each other on a home-and-away basis with the same rules as the qualifying and play-off rounds applied. In the last 16, group winners play runners-up other than teams from their own pool or nation, while from the quarter-finals on the draw is free."
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2013/matches/round=2000348/index.html

that is exactly what i would call playoffs/postseason(because, to me, they are the same words, po/ps)

there is a ladder involved, and the winner of the home and home series moves on to face the winner of another home and home, and so forth, until the final, which is a single game. this ladder structure is what playoffs are all to me, and not a round robin.

a round robin to me would be

A, B,C, D are in the championships
AvB, AvC, AvD
BvA, Bvc, BvD
CvA, CvB, CvD
DvA, DvB, DvC

and the winner would be declared the person with the most points, like in the french league for soccer.

playoffs(im rambling a bit, just to make sure I'm kinda going clear)

A,B, C, D again

AvD

BvC

and then, winner of AD v winner of BC, and the winner of that is the championship, and that is what i call playoffs.

I see your point.

But I still think that each professional league, just needs a round robin tournament to settle a champion. Play-offs are useful when they have far too many teams for a league (World Cup, Continental Tournaments (Euro, NA, SA, African, and Asian Champions Leagues; Euros; CONCACAF; etc), Olympics) if they do it in a "round robin" format of play-offs (minus Olympics, World Cups, and International Continental Tournaments (ex. Euros) since they are neutral).

P.S. Never use France's Ligue 1 as an example for anything. Wink
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:13:59 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4184 on: October 12, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »

However and again, just because you give a team 400 yards doesn't mean you necessarily give up points.  Turn-overs, forcing punts, and generally smothering the offense allows for...
In the same argument, you refer to allowing an opponent 400 yards while smothering their offense.  Are you sure you understand what you're talking about?

(a) The Ravens haven't given up 400 yards yet.. (b) I agree with you completely, giving up 400 yards would not be good defense, what I was facetiously implying was that 400 yards is the new 300 yards. If a team closed out a Tom Brady kind of offense to the mid-200s yardage I would say that is good defense.  If 400 yards is the new 300 yards, then keeping teams to the mid-300s might also be good defense.  I don't think so, but we will have to wait and see at the end of the season which teams who are the best defense and how many yards they gave up.  Right now Houston is number one and even they've given up a few 300 yard games and we're only five games in..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: