OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:25:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 348500 times) Average Rating: 5
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3960 on: September 23, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »

Dear Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, et al.,

Congratulations. You did something you're being paid obscene amounts of money to do. You caught a pass. That's great. Now act like you've done it before, get up, and go back to the huddle. You don't have to celebrate after every single catch.

Sincerely,

Justin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3961 on: September 23, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »

Or you mean be like Heath.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3962 on: September 23, 2012, 06:23:42 PM »

What happened to the Pirates? Completely crapped the bed.

I predicted here that the Pirates would go 78-84, and they're doing their best to prove me right!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:24:04 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3963 on: September 23, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »

Or you mean be like Heath.

Everyone wants to be like Heath!
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3964 on: September 23, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »

I guess I'll watch MLB playoffs this year.

Baseball fans, do people usually watch every game in a series?

If you're going to commit to a boring sport, go all the way bro!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3965 on: September 23, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Did I mention I HATE the Steelers?  So Heyward-Bey in Oakland was just about to score a great TD, so two Pittsburgh defenders play dirty and double crack him, getting helmet to face contact and knocked Darrius out cold for ten minutes.  He was out like a light before he even hit the ground, and while the entire country is watching in silence waiting to see if he can even wake up, the Pittsburgh coaches are laughing it up and smiling cracking jokes on the sidelines.  That is straight EVIL, even against the penalty heavy Raiders!! Sad Sad Sad

I hope the Ravens eat you for breakfast in November dirty dirty dirty Steelers, that is why nobody aside from bandwagon nobodies actually likes the Steelers, we all know they cheat and are ruthlessly dirty on the field.  Troy should be a true Orthodox and switch teams from those crooked dudes, he is only embarrassing himself over there being about the only bright soul on an otherwise vindictive roster.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3966 on: September 23, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »

That's okay, Harrison will get fined $250k

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3967 on: September 23, 2012, 07:28:32 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

After what happened in New Orleans, there should be a suspension because the coaches were yucking it up. Even most the the Steelers team took a knee and were looking pensive, like a big bully who just went to far, and yet the coaches are laughing? Laughing!! While Darrius was laid out unconscious for almost TEN MINUTES!!!

That was officially one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in football, and I am a Ravens fan, and I've seen plenty of ugly Ravens-Steelers games Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3968 on: September 23, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »

After what happened in New Orleans, there should be a suspension because the coaches were yucking it up. Even most the the Steelers team took a knee and were looking pensive, like a big bully who just went to far, and yet the coaches are laughing? Laughing!! While Darrius was laid out unconscious for almost TEN MINUTES!!!

That was officially one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in football, and I am a Ravens fan, and I've seen plenty of ugly Ravens-Steelers games Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I doubt they were smliing about Bey laying on the ground. Also it was 7-9 mins into him laying on the ground.

Actually Thiesmans ankle snapping was probably the ugliest thing ever to happen on the field. Especially in slow motion.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3969 on: September 23, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »

Oh you didn't know?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #3970 on: September 23, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I doubt they were smliing about Bey laying on the ground. Also it was 7-9 mins into him laying on the ground.

Actually Thiesmans ankle snapping was probably the ugliest thing ever to happen on the field. Especially in slow motion.
Probably the one play Lawrence Taylor would most like to forget.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #3971 on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »

Are you happy now, Habte?
 Cry

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3972 on: September 23, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »

Dick LeBeau, eventhought he's a HOFer, he needs to go. What an absolute disgrace from the defense.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3973 on: September 23, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »

Cry

I'm not an Oakland fan (Is habte? Dude has way too many loyalties to keep track of), but I'll concede that that was a solid game. And you know, I always like Pittsburgh losing.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3974 on: September 23, 2012, 08:46:02 PM »

Dick LeBeau, eventhought he's a HOFer, he needs to go. What an absolute disgrace from the defense.

Not playing today:
Troy Polamalu - $6,250,000
James Harrison - $5,565,000

That's like 1/3 of the money they spend on the defense ...
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3975 on: September 23, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »

God let Pittsburgh lose because of Troy's absence.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3976 on: September 23, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »

Not playing today:

Even with Troy and Harrison out of the lineup, that doesn't excuse the defense for giving up 34 points, they crapped the bed big on this one. Completely awful. I don't know if I can defend Ryan Mundy even being on the field any longer (let alone team).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:59:53 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3977 on: September 24, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »

Not playing today:

Even with Troy and Harrison out of the lineup, that doesn't excuse the defense for giving up 34 points, they crapped the bed big on this one. Completely awful. I don't know if I can defend Ryan Mundy even being on the field any longer (let alone team).

In Oakland's defense, this game was so crazy offensively (Big Ben almost had 500 yards) that they are lucky that Steelers didn't score 45 points!! It is weird to say that defense really won this game for Raiders, because of course even just that thought would cause Al Davis to roll in his grave!

Cry

Yes, but that was still too ugly, even for the Steelers..

Its not that I think the coaches were laughing at Heyward-Bey, its that even the teams had all been quiet the entire time, and Darrius didn't even say a word for 9 solid minutes, think about that for a minute.  A player is out cold and coaches got time to tell unrelated jokes on national television?

Again fines are appropriate because those were clearly leading with the helmet by both Pittsburgh players, they are quite literally lucky they didn't seriously hurt him, and to be honest, we don't even know yet if they did Sad

A lot of flags in this game, which disrupted the flow of the action, and some were certainly questionable (for both teams). On a night when the focus should have been squarely on two of the AFC’s best teams, the third “team” on the field was a big part of the story. Hard to imagine the NFL was pleased.
ESPN Rapid Reaction

In regards to this Ravens game, my team won and yet still I am completely upset, with the officiating, with the coaching, with several of the players, essentially that entire game was trash, and we should all forget it ever happened, even with Baltimore getting the eventual win, the game was so crooked in so many directions I am so confused that I don't quite remember who was what!  It was a true Tim Donaghy moment Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:15:55 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3978 on: September 24, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »

In regards to this Ravens game, my team won and yet still I am completely upset, with the officiating, with the coaching, with several of the players, essentially that entire game was trash, and we should all forget it ever happened, even with Baltimore getting the eventual win, the game was so crooked in so many directions I am so confused that I don't quite remember who was what!  It was a true Tim Donaghy moment Wink

Salted throughout all this action, of course, were bizarre holding calls, odd interference calls, some purely psychedelic calls, and a game-winning field goal that was so close that, all his frustrations coming to a boil, New England nose tackle Vince Wilfork looked very much like he might eat one of the referees who were standing under the goal posts.
Grantland.com

By the way, from that same article, I have learned my lesson with this Steelers-Ravens-Raiders rivalry which is indeed the ugliest in football. I let that very bad play against Heyward-Bey get me too upset based on my rivalry experience against Pittsburgh, but if Torrey Smith after losing his brother in a tragic accident can come out, and play miraculously good game against both the other team AND the terrifyingly inept officials and in the end still find time to big-up the Steelers, that is heart right there.  I tip my hat to Pittsburgh just at least this once Wink

"It was weird," Smith said, "having so many people who were showing their support from afar, from guys on the Steelers that I don't even know. I saw something that LaMarr Woodley did, and I appreciate that a lot. The fact that we're on rival teams, you know, and football is a war every time we get together, that he would go out of his way and even say a prayer for me and my family. That meant a lot for my family.

To say the Steelers are rival teams and when they meet the Ravens is war is the understatement of the year, and yet, these guys are just co-workers even if in a dangerous career, and co-workers as in any place need to be able to get along at the end of it all and support each other as a community. We as sports fans should be able to do the same. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:11:12 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3979 on: September 24, 2012, 04:41:18 PM »

Tippeligaen: Rosenborg 1 - 2 Brann
http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/09/23/sport/fotball/tippeligaen/rosenborg/brann/23551868/

English Premier League: Manchester United 2 - 1 Liverpool
http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-And-Results/Match-Reports/2012/Sep/liverpool-v-manchester-united-match-report.aspx

Forgive my sins.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3980 on: September 24, 2012, 11:57:24 PM »

Well that was quite an ending to a football game...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3981 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:20 AM »

Yeah. That was weird.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #3982 on: September 25, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »

Yeah. That was weird.

Fine by me. I have a (probably unfair) dislike for the Pack due to every GB fan I personally know being super... can't say the word I want to out here in public.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3983 on: September 25, 2012, 12:42:23 AM »

I was just reading the play-by-play, whats the controversy?  From what I was following, that stout Seattle defense who had choked Packers to field goals all night choked Green Bay to a pun in the final minute, and Seattle picked it up with 50-something seconds at GB 46.  Russell Wilson with the poise of any elite QB drove it to a long 4 and 10 at Green Bay 26 to get a winning TD in the literal final play in final 8 seconds! How much better can that get?   Then again, after that Tim Donoghy officiating last night in Baltimore, I could imagine  Lips Sealed

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3984 on: September 25, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »

There was a non-call of blatant offensive pass interference (though that was certainly not the only missed call in that last drive); also, it looked like Green Bay intercepted the ball in the end zone, with the Seattle guy merely trying to rip the ball away, but instead of that it got called a Seattle touchdown.
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #3985 on: September 25, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »

Yeah. That was weird.

Fine by me. I have a (probably unfair) dislike for the Pack due to every GB fan I personally know being super... can't say the word I want to out here in public.

On second thought- as a Giants fan, it's sweet, sweet payback to see GB get jacked by refs after last year's horrible regular season game with Ballard's denied TD, and the GB "TD" that wasn't. Not to mention their "better team lost" smack talk after we beat them in the playoffs. Forget the annoying fans I know... It seems I just hate GB.  Cheesy

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3986 on: September 25, 2012, 12:52:06 AM »

There was a non-call of blatant offensive pass interference (though that was certainly not the only missed call in that last drive); also, it looked like Green Bay intercepted the ball in the end zone, with the Seattle guy merely trying to rip the ball away, but instead of that it got called a Seattle touchdown.

I agree completely with Pete Carroll on this one

"From what I understood from the officials it was a simultaneous catch. Tie goes to the runner. Good call," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said.
ESPN recap

While I agree that is indeed controversial, perhaps the most I've seen in years, these scoring drives are reviewed upstairs, so its not entirely on the back up refs call.  Further, in these kind of plays where everybody touches it in the air, it comes down to several factors of control, and while Jennings was on top of the pile, Tate had also clearly had the football in his hands in the air, and Jennings was obstructing his ability to bring it in, and Tate further never took two hands off the ball, so I can see why that was considered a score, but indeed, that is perhaps the more controversial play I've seen in a long long time.  Folks are crying fowl about Raven's FG last night, but when I saw one replay from the deep left underside it was clearly inside the posts, much less debatable then this TB here.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:06:15 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3987 on: September 25, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »

More from Troillongan's disappointing 2-1 Tippeligaen loss to Brann on Sunday.

http://www.rbk.no/match-reports/article/2iqxj63xtcwh1n4g18iwkw18g/title/brann-snudde-kampen-i-sluttminuttene
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:15:57 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3988 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »

I lost a "bet" (I have to use the phrase "bears on fire" in a short story for a writing class) on that Packers loss.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3989 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »

I lost a "bet" (I have to use the phrase "bears on fire" in a short story for a writing class) on that Packers loss.
I wonder what the reaction was like in Vegas.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3990 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »

Braves are heading to the playoffs!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3991 on: September 25, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »

I wonder what the reaction was like in Vegas.

ESPN had a headline article which pointed at that nationwide there was a shift of 150-250 MILLION dollars because of that play.  Vegas says they took a modest lost of 15 MILLION, but some numbers suggest 1 BILLION worldwide.  Like I said, Sunday let alone Monday was Tim Donaghy moment for the NFL.  All bets are off literally.  At the end of the day, I never believed in sports and there is little integrity.  For me, its a delightful distraction and a very social thing.  I got reignited into basketball the year my grandpops passed away and I started teaching.  At school the kids were all pumped because the Lakers had just won the championship and were chasing a repeat.  By the play-offs LA was on top and my grandfather was on his way out. Just like at work, the entire hospital staff and visitors alike were all into it, high-fives all around.  I was sucked in by the sheer social value, the community building.  The gambling and politics and other vices are ugly enough, but community is nice.  I had walked away from the Tim Donaghy scandal when it became obvious much of it was more theater than honest competition, but I like movies and I read novels, so that is fine with me.  The NFL is always been MORE sociable as America's game and also a bit harder to see the strings like a Tim Burton movie.  Well, alas, Sunday Night and Monday Night we saw it happen. By the way, the Baltimore kick was fair, but several other calls were questionable in both directions, and I also think that the Seattle TD was good, but there were several other things wrong with it.  The whistles I've seen have been in all the games I've watched have been TEN times more laughable than anything I've ever seen in the NBA..  I can only hope we can keep it community oriented, for example this has been international outrage slipping into national news in between the UN meetings and presidential campaigns Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:21:10 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3992 on: September 25, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »

But it's still sad to see so many of people treat sports like it's a religion, with false prostrations and all. There's so many people that believe in sports when at the end of the day it's a game, but yet we pour billions of dollars into it. There is part of me that does feel sports, in general, is a total waste of time. You invest all of these emotions into a team only to get your hopes up when playoff dreams are dashed. It's like being a Ravens fan is some form of sadism, you know?

I just have trouble finding a really great argument on why sports are so important, because they aren't.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3993 on: September 25, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »

But it's still sad to see so many of people treat sports like it's a religion, with false prostrations and all. There's so many people that believe in sports when at the end of the day it's a game, but yet we pour billions of dollars into it. There is part of me that does feel sports, in general, is a total waste of time. You invest all of these emotions into a team only to get your hopes up when playoff dreams are dashed. It's like being a Ravens fan is some form of sadism, you know?

I just have trouble finding a really great argument on why sports are so important, because they aren't.

True, in fact I precisely argue with Marxist atheists that religion isn't the opiate of the masses, if anything religion makes people think and talk too much, no, the true opiate of the masses is the arena and the circuit that Saint Augustine warned us about..

And there is a lot of money, but I was just griping about the Space Shuttle the other day until it flew over my house, and then I saw LA as a community, something we generally only reserve for riots and earthquakes.  It was a beautiful day to see MILLIONS of people suddenly and joyfully on the same page.  Then I reflected on my entire life under the Space Shuttle, and how while it was ridiculously expensive (which is indeed why its been scrapped) that it was always an inspiring thing for Americans, adults and children alike. I realized that considering how hard it is to form communities over anything, that I suppose it is worth even BILLIONS of dollars.  After all, we also spend BILLIONS of dollars fighting wars which destroy communities, so in the long arc the Space Shuttle is really not all the bad.  Could we have spent the money on the poor? Yes, but we will always have the poor, but we will not always have our fragile sense of community.  I guess the same is true with the NFL or the NBA, yes, it consumes BILLIONS of dollars, but it also generates many thousands and thousands of jobs for folks, and whats more, really is part of our American culture and sense of building an American community.

And yes, as a Ravens fan who was initially growing up a Browns fan (I  followed Art to Baltimore out of loyalty and respect for him) I can say yes, it can be very defeating and depressing.  Yes, I was a grown man crying in a Guatemalan restaurant last year at the AFC game Sad But it builds character and becomes a wonderful symbol for overcoming struggles and dealing with adversity.  I can't tell you how many teachable moments I've had with my students where using sports' analogies and metaphors has made the light bulb moment come on Smiley

When you are outside the Ravens, they look like a bunch of thugs.  My friend just said it best last night, he loves the Ravens all the more the positiveness and integrity that team has as a team.  They play ruff football to be sure, but its not personal.  They are community oriented in Baltimore, they are even very spiritual about their approach.  This is actually what attracts a lot of Ravens fans like myself to this organization, they like my Atlanta Falcons seem to have a lot of integrity in an NFL full of drama like a soap opera.  That is also why I like Lebron James.  Yes Ray Lewis has had his troubles, but I've also had mine, so his recovery into a positive direction in the NFL is very remniscent symbolically of struggles like my own to be a better person every day.  Sports are indeed TOO important for a lot of people, but believe it or not, its a powerful opportunity to build relationships with total strangers and connect.  You'd be surprised how quick you can be talking about last nights basketball or football game to a person at the corner store or the BBQ joint and next thing you know y'all is chatting also about the Virgin Mary Wink

It is up to us as fans, especially Orthodox like you, me, and Troy Polamalu and yes, even Ray Lewis, to be shifting sports into a positive direction as an opportunity to build community. Otherwise it really is just about sleaze and gambling..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:41:20 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3994 on: September 26, 2012, 03:19:07 AM »

So how bout them Pirates?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3995 on: September 26, 2012, 03:42:11 AM »

True, in fact I precisely argue with Marxist atheists that religion isn't the opiate of the masses, if anything religion makes people think and talk too much, no, the true opiate of the masses is the arena and the circuit that Saint Augustine warned us about..

And there is a lot of money, but I was just griping about the Space Shuttle the other day until it flew over my house, and then I saw LA as a community, something we generally only reserve for riots and earthquakes.  It was a beautiful day to see MILLIONS of people suddenly and joyfully on the same page.  Then I reflected on my entire life under the Space Shuttle, and how while it was ridiculously expensive (which is indeed why its been scrapped) that it was always an inspiring thing for Americans, adults and children alike. I realized that considering how hard it is to form communities over anything, that I suppose it is worth even BILLIONS of dollars.  After all, we also spend BILLIONS of dollars fighting wars which destroy communities, so in the long arc the Space Shuttle is really not all the bad.  Could we have spent the money on the poor? Yes, but we will always have the poor, but we will not always have our fragile sense of community.  I guess the same is true with the NFL or the NBA, yes, it consumes BILLIONS of dollars, but it also generates many thousands and thousands of jobs for folks, and whats more, really is part of our American culture and sense of building an American community.

And yes, as a Ravens fan who was initially growing up a Browns fan (I  followed Art to Baltimore out of loyalty and respect for him) I can say yes, it can be very defeating and depressing.  Yes, I was a grown man crying in a Guatemalan restaurant last year at the AFC game Sad But it builds character and becomes a wonderful symbol for overcoming struggles and dealing with adversity.  I can't tell you how many teachable moments I've had with my students where using sports' analogies and metaphors has made the light bulb moment come on Smiley

When you are outside the Ravens, they look like a bunch of thugs.  My friend just said it best last night, he loves the Ravens all the more the positiveness and integrity that team has as a team.  They play ruff football to be sure, but its not personal.  They are community oriented in Baltimore, they are even very spiritual about their approach.  This is actually what attracts a lot of Ravens fans like myself to this organization, they like my Atlanta Falcons seem to have a lot of integrity in an NFL full of drama like a soap opera.  That is also why I like Lebron James.  Yes Ray Lewis has had his troubles, but I've also had mine, so his recovery into a positive direction in the NFL is very remniscent symbolically of struggles like my own to be a better person every day.  Sports are indeed TOO important for a lot of people, but believe it or not, its a powerful opportunity to build relationships with total strangers and connect.  You'd be surprised how quick you can be talking about last nights basketball or football game to a person at the corner store or the BBQ joint and next thing you know y'all is chatting also about the Virgin Mary Wink

It is up to us as fans, especially Orthodox like you, me, and Troy Polamalu and yes, even Ray Lewis, to be shifting sports into a positive direction as an opportunity to build community. Otherwise it really is just about sleaze and gambling..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

As someone who is fundamentally opposed to NASA and completely disinterested in professional sports, I nevertheless nominate this for Post of the Month! Profound arguments conveyed with literary beauty and Christian grace. Well done Habte!

Selam
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:42:55 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3996 on: September 26, 2012, 09:17:15 AM »

So how bout them Pirates?

I was really pulling for them.  It would have been fun to see the Pirates, Nationals (ehhh  Undecided), A's, and Orioles all in the playoffs.

Also, it would have been fun to have a 1991 NLCS rematch this year!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3997 on: September 26, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »

I told my buddy how I'll only follow NCAA basketball and now he's taking me to a Lakers game in March to convert me.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3998 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »

fundamentally opposed to NASA
What?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #3999 on: September 26, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

Seconded. Gebre you got some 'splaining to do.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4000 on: September 26, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »

The brother is free to his opinions, ones which I until recently very strongly agreed with.  Why spend so much money on looking into outerspace when we've got more than enough mysteries on Earth to deal with! Plus, never forget that it is NASA which gave birth to the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile System, or wait, do you think all that Apollo stuff was just for fun Wink

As I posted, I've come to change my feelings about NASA as I've seen the community building effect it has, but that doesn't negate the reality that in our budget hawk environment NASA costs more annually then a lot of other crucially important social programs.  If it comes to splitting the baby, I'm with brother Gebre Menfes Kidus on this one, our priorities should value people above fanciful intellectual pursuits and technological marvels.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4001 on: September 26, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »

Stop with the Ravens crap, it makes me want to vomit. How many teams do you honestly have, good grief.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4002 on: September 26, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »

How many teams do you honestly have, good grief.

We've gone over this before.

Four.  Falcons and Ravens back East, Raiders and Niners in the West.  Who of these am I diehard about? The Baltimore Ravens.  Who do I really just dig all around, the Atlanta Falcons.  Who did I grow up on but doesn't win enough to be worth investing too much into? The Chokeland Raiders.  Who is simply on fire the past two seasons and brings back nostalgia from the 1990s for me? The 49erz.

In NBA its just Heat and Thunder, but I'm born and raised in LA, so I jump on and off the bandwagon when it suits me.

Lord have His mercy its really not that complicated.  
Stop with the Ravens crap, it makes me want to vomit.

And don't be hatin on the Ravens yo Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:49:49 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #4003 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »

NASA's budget is less than one half of one percent of the federal budget...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4004 on: September 26, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »

So you bandwagon any team that is successful then.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: