OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:04:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 426482 times) Average Rating: 5
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #3915 on: September 14, 2012, 09:56:39 AM »

Fantasy Football anyone?

I lost my match in week 1. Blah. If Rivers would have had one more touchdown and a few more yards I coulda won!  Angry  Grin   Easy match this week though.

I won mine, even with Rivers' low pointage; Kaeding is my kicker, too, and he made heaps of field goals to make up for Rivers' lone TD. And my match up was easy. This week... I am up against M.Ryan, Foster, MJD, Green, White, etc, and am therefore (probably) doomed.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3916 on: September 14, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »

NHL owners support lockout

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman received a unanimous vote from owners Thursday in support of a league-imposed lockout should no deal be reached by midnight ET Saturday.

Bettman met with the board of governors here, and although he already had the authority to implement a work stoppage, his constituency stood behind the league's position of a lockout...
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3917 on: September 14, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In that regard, it could be worse, he could be playing for Boston err.. New England Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Ah yes Habte, thank you so kindly for reminding me that there are surprisingly worse cities of fans. Philadelphia is right below it.

I believe in regards to terrible sports fans (In America, if it were international just about ALL of Polish cities would top the lists) the list goes

1) Boston
2) Philly
3) Cleveland (there is reason everyone always kicks cleveland teams in the scrotum, its because a lot of the times they deserve it Wink
4) Los Angeles
5) Dallas

If I forgot to mention anyone, I am sure y'all can be mean-spirited and represent your district Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3918 on: September 14, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »

Heh, heh! laugh Some time this weekend, someone in Major League Baseball will take the league to an inglorious milestone of half a million errors.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unofficial-milestone-of-baseball-error-no--500-000-deserves-inglorious-honor.html

Bill Buckner, eat your heart out!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:25:06 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3919 on: September 14, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »

NHL owners support lockout

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman received a unanimous vote from owners Thursday in support of a league-imposed lockout should no deal be reached by midnight ET Saturday.

Bettman met with the board of governors here, and although he already had the authority to implement a work stoppage, his constituency stood behind the league's position of a lockout...
This will be devastating to the league and I really don't think it can handle another lockout IMHO. The NHL came so far from the last lockout, sadly.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3920 on: September 15, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »

I think the Oregon Ducks are going to get a gem of a freshman running back next year. A kid named Thomas Tyner who's now playing his senior season for Aloha High School just west of Portland... The young man, who also happens to own the Oregon high school record in track's 100m dash, just obliterated two major state rushing records last night. His 643-yard rushing total (on 38 carries) is good for third best all time in the nation, easily breaking the previous state record of 508, and his 10 TDs broke the previous state record by two. In one stretch of the 2nd quarter, his team handed him the ball on three consecutive plays and watched him break a TD run of longer than 60 yards each time!  Shocked The amazing thing is that his team needed every one of his yards and TDs to keep up with and eventually pass their opponent in a wild track meet of a game decided by a score of 84-63. Yesterday was also Tyner's 18th birthday.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:42:02 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3921 on: September 15, 2012, 11:57:21 PM »

UPSET ALERT

The #21 Stanford Cardinal defeat Matt Barkley and the #2 USC Trojans even without Andrew Luck!

Stanford 21, USC 14
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:58:45 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3922 on: September 16, 2012, 12:19:08 AM »

UPSET ALERT

The #21 Stanford Cardinal defeat Matt Barkley and the #2 USC Trojans even without Andrew Luck!

Stanford 21, USC 14

My Californian pal ain't going to be happy about this one.

UofL was killing UNC today. I had to leave at half time. Apparently in the second half things got way more exciting and it ended up Louisville just barely winning 39-34.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3923 on: September 16, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

2011 Week 13 through 2012 Week 1: Lowest INT/Dropped INT Percentages (min. 100 dropbacks)
Rank   QB   Dropbacks   INT   Dropped INT   Percent
1   Alex Smith   200   0   0   0.0%
2   Tom Brady   239   2   0   0.8%
3   Andy Dalton   212   2   0   0.9%
4   Matt Ryan   211   2   0   0.9%
5   Kellen Clemens   105   1   0   1.0%
6   Tarvaris Jackson   160   1   1   1.3%
7   Aaron Rodgers   209   3   0   1.4%
8   Philip Rivers   198   3   0   1.5%
9   Tony Romo   189   2   1   1.6%
10   T.J. Yates   138   3   0   2.2%
ESPN Stats and Info

As Matt Ryan creeps his way into elite QB status through a steady increase in stat lines, can this Monday night be when the Falcons finally get beyond 0-3 for Monday Night games and show the prime-time national audience that they just might be real deal? I am very nervous, its a crucial game to say the least!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:26:40 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3924 on: September 16, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »

My almae matres performed pretty much as expected.  TCU beat Kansas 20-6 in a game that was no gem of perfection for either team.  Ohio St. beat Cal 35-28; could the Bears really be that good or the Buckeyes that bad?  And finally, Texas unloaded on Ole Miss 66-31, ho-hum; looks like a lack of parity in the SEC.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3925 on: September 16, 2012, 01:22:17 AM »

My almae matres performed pretty much as expected.  TCU beat Kansas 20-6 in a game that was no gem of perfection for either team.  Ohio St. beat Cal 35-28; could the Bears really be that good or the Buckeyes that bad?  And finally, Texas unloaded on Ole Miss 66-31, ho-hum; looks like a lack of parity in the SEC.

Haters going to hate. SEC is still the best conference in gridiron. Cheesy

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3926 on: September 16, 2012, 02:50:38 AM »

My almae matres performed pretty much as expected.  TCU beat Kansas 20-6 in a game that was no gem of perfection for either team.  Ohio St. beat Cal 35-28; could the Bears really be that good or the Buckeyes that bad?  And finally, Texas unloaded on Ole Miss 66-31, ho-hum; looks like a lack of parity in the SEC.

The SEC may have several of the best teams in the country, but are all the SEC teams that good?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:50:58 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3927 on: September 16, 2012, 06:41:15 AM »

My almae matres performed pretty much as expected.  TCU beat Kansas 20-6 in a game that was no gem of perfection for either team.  Ohio St. beat Cal 35-28; could the Bears really be that good or the Buckeyes that bad?  And finally, Texas unloaded on Ole Miss 66-31, ho-hum; looks like a lack of parity in the SEC.

The SEC may have several of the best teams in the country, but are all the SEC teams that good?

The conference is definitely top heavy this year, but I knew USC was overrated. Any golden boy QB with blond hair who plays for USC or Notre Dame will be declared the Heisman trophy winner before the season even starts. But Barkley didn't look like a Hiesman winner today. As a BAMA fan, all I'm worried about is National Championship #15. How crazy would it be if LSU and the TIDE played for the N.C. again this year? It could happen. As of right now, I think they're cleary the best two teams in the nation. Long way to go though.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3928 on: September 16, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »

Certainly not.  The SEC is definitely a two-tier conference.  There are those with a shot at winning the conference title, and those with a shot at winning a game or two.  However, those with a shot a winning the conference are almost invariably in the hunt for the national title.  Perhaps that was the alllure for recent additions to the conference.  I welcome them and wish them the best, but can't help but thinking "What were you thinking!?"
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3929 on: September 16, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »

I'd say about 4 or 5 are really good. 10 or 11 are atleast decent. The rest are a little sub-par. Still better than anyother conference.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3930 on: September 16, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »

How crazy would it be if LSU and the TIDE played for the N.C. again this year? It could happen. As of right now, I think they're cleary the best two teams in the nation. Long way to go though.

Probably will happen, I think both teams are better than last year.

Forgive my sins.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3931 on: September 16, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »

Well I'd like to thank the Eagles for avenging us. And the Bengals for not sucking. And Trent Richardson for making it entertaining rather than a simple beatdown.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3932 on: September 16, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »

Best day. Patriots and Ravens lose, Steelers win.

Haha gj Cardinals

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3933 on: September 17, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »

Is the defensive edge of the Ravens-Steelers rivalry looking to be eclisped by these new defensive powerhouses in San Francisco and Detroit? The 9erz are embarrassing teams with their smothering coverage, shutting down both the pass AND the run.  Further, Lions have a defensive line that is literally a bit frightening.  For San Francisco's offense to do so well against that is a big statement.  Looking forward to tonight but I am so nervous!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3934 on: September 17, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »

In Tippeligaen, Troillongan came out with a victory. Rosenborg 3 - 0 Vålerenga
http://www.rbk.no/news/article/o9yaj5k19iiz1ll133efil43x/title/knuste-valerenga

Meanwhile in the English Premier League, my Red Devils come out with a nice victory. United 4 - 0 Wigan
http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-And-Results/Match-Reports/2012/Sep/manchester-united-v-wigan-athletic-match-report.aspx

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3935 on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »

Looking forward to tonight but I am so nervous!!

Peyton's first half against the revamped Atlanta defense..

He had only seven drives resulting in late TD in the final 13 seconds to top off 3 interceptions, 1 TO on a fumble, and 2 punts.  Clearly Denver was a bit more nervous than me Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:44:23 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3936 on: September 18, 2012, 12:11:34 AM »

Falcons with an impressive win, and to think, against Peyton Manning it wasn't even an upset, Falcons were favored by 3 and came through to match for the first time on the big stage.  Matt Ryan is now 1-3 on Monday Night Football, but is 31-4 (!!) at the Georgia Dome.  He and Joe Flacco are also some of the best career starts since the 1950s with 43 and 44 respectively (though Flacco has 53 including the Post Season)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3937 on: September 18, 2012, 12:57:21 AM »

I think I might have more tolerance for pro football if it didn't coincide with college football. It's college football season man! Wake up and join the fun!

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3938 on: September 18, 2012, 01:21:32 AM »

I think I might have more tolerance for pro football if it didn't coincide with college football. It's college football season man! Wake up and join the fun!

Selam

I'll meet you half way, can we at least have their refs during the lockout Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3939 on: September 18, 2012, 01:28:06 AM »

Selam

As long as the ref isn't a fan of the home team, as actually happened in New Orleans over the weekend. (One of the substitute refs for the Saints game was removed from the game's ref squad after the NFL discovered that he was an avid Saints fan.)
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3940 on: September 18, 2012, 01:32:26 AM »

Selam

As long as the ref isn't a fan of the home team, as actually happened in New Orleans over the weekend. (One of the substitute refs for the Saints game was removed from the game's ref squad after the NFL discovered that he was an avid Saints fan.)

Who Dat should be trying to hide that, so they couldn't win a game against an inferior team even with crooked, third-rate refs in their favor?  Haha!!

This Falcons game was about the longest I've ever seen, I think that fatigue is was slowed Atlanta down in the second half and gave Broncos a chance, after all Denver's impressive stamina is what propelled them into so many come from behind and overtime wins by simply wearing teams down over the long haul, something they almost managed to do in the extended second half tonight.  These refs aren't the worst at the actual calls they make (no more or less than the regular guys blown calls) however they sure take their sweat time doing it! My Lord!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:32:58 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3941 on: September 18, 2012, 01:34:43 AM »

Speaking of officiating...

I might not like all the rules, but I just wish that these refs would actually follow the rules. What about the words, "indisputable" and "conclusive" do they not understand? If they look at the replay, and there is any doubt whatsoever, then that means that it is disputable and inconclusive. As a fan, I may strongly believe that the call on the field should be overturned. But if the replay leaves room for doubt, then the RULE is that the call on the field should stand. But already this season, I have seen refs overturn calls on the field without any indisputable or conclusive evidence to justify it. Aggravating.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3942 on: September 18, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3943 on: September 18, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »

I think the Oregon Ducks are going to get a gem of a freshman running back next year. A kid named Thomas Tyner who's now playing his senior season for Aloha High School just west of Portland... The young man, who also happens to own the Oregon high school record in track's 100m dash, just obliterated two major state rushing records last night. His 643-yard rushing total (on 38 carries) is good for third best all time in the nation, easily breaking the previous state record of 508, and his 10 TDs broke the previous state record by two. In one stretch of the 2nd quarter, his team handed him the ball on three consecutive plays and watched him break a TD run of longer than 60 yards each time!  Shocked The amazing thing is that his team needed every one of his yards and TDs to keep up with and eventually pass their opponent in a wild track meet of a game decided by a score of 84-63. Yesterday was also Tyner's 18th birthday.
I read today that Duck alum LaMichael James was clocked at 0.01 seconds faster than Tyner in the 40 (James's 4.37 to Tyner's 4.38), but the one thing Tyner has that neither James nor his immediate successor De'Anthony Thomas has is the size to be an every-down running back. LaMichael was rather small, and De'Anthony is rather small at 5'9", 175 lbs. Tyner, however, stands 6'0" tall and weighs 210 lbs.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3944 on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

I like sleeping during college football (and also soccer) games. I find the white noise from the crowd to be soothing. Soccer works better though because the announcers aren't as hyped up (unless there's a goal).
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3945 on: September 18, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »

Selam

the great thing is (for football fans at least) that they don't exactly overlap, because one is played on saturdays, and the other is on sundays.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3946 on: September 18, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »

Soccer works better though because the announcers aren't as hyped up (unless there's a goal).

Whenever I watch soccer in English like on ESPN or such, I find myself having the same problem with the announcers.  See, I usually watch soccer in espanol by default because I don't have cable and they air a lot of games including the entirety of the World Cup and Americas Cup and every USA game.  Those guys are muey pumped to say the least, they bring announcing to a new art form. They almost get more excited about the near goal misses then the actual scores!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3947 on: September 19, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »

I read today that Duck alum LaMichael James was clocked at 0.01 seconds faster than Tyner in the 40 (James's 4.37 to Tyner's 4.38), but the one thing Tyner has that neither James nor his immediate successor De'Anthony Thomas has is the size to be an every-down running back. LaMichael was rather small, and De'Anthony is rather small at 5'9", 175 lbs. Tyner, however, stands 6'0" tall and weighs 210 lbs.

I'd take the guy with the lower centre of gravity.

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3948 on: September 19, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »

I'd take the guy with the lower centre of gravity.

Speaking of which, what is up with CP3 Chris Paul? Does that dude have Napoleon Complex or what!!

Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul, who is featured on the covers of October's GQ , told the magazine he actually preferred being traded to the Clippers rather than the Los Angeles Lakers last year.

"They had the better pieces," Paul said. "And winning with the Clippers would be legendary."

More on the Clippers

For more news, notes and analysis of the L.A. Clippers, check out the Clippers Report. Blog

Last year NBA commissioner David Stern nixed a trade that would have sent Paul from the then league-owned New Orleans Hornets to the Lakers in a package that would have included Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom. A week later he was traded to the Clippers instead.

Paul also said he was still irritated about being patted on the head by Gasol when the Lakers played the Clippers last season, causing the two to be separated in the waning seconds of the game.

"We call that sonnin'," Paul said. "Like when I take Li'l Chris to the bathroom, I'll walk with my hand on his head. That's my son. You know what I mean? I understand that Gasol is that tall, but don't do to me what I do to my son."

ESPN.com

Its called being friendly yo!! Honestly, I LIKE when people treat me in friendly ways like their kids, calling me Mejo or son, it makes me feel welcome. Instead, this little dude is always trash-talking, always feelings slighted (pun intended Wink ), always picking fights, always accusing everybody of being against him. Of course he wanted to go to the Clips, his overly inflated ego couldn't compete with that of Kobe, perhaps the only other NBA player with a bigger sense of unwarranted self-importance and outright narcissism..

Rather play for Clippers? I ADORE the Clippers as LA's biggest underdog and always have, but lets be honest here and compare legacies.

LOS ANGELES -- Before Dwight Howard was introduced as the Los Angeles Lakers’ newest center last month, he took a quick tour of the team’s training facility. As he walked around Jeanie Buss’ office, he took a long look at the 10 Larry O’Brien trophies the team has won in Los Angeles since 1980 before gazing out her window at the retired jerseys on the walls surrounding the practice court.
ESPN.com

Puts that whole Clippers-Lakers debate in perspective doesn't it Wink

I used to like CP3 but he has let his game get to his head, and now he has such a bad attitude that he should be playing for those green goblin Celtics, the undisputed kings of what I call "bad-attitude basketball" and as a career franchise lead the league in Scowls Per Minute for sure!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:51:08 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3949 on: September 21, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »

vs

Q: With all of the replacement ref controversies (e.g. blatantly missed calls, Saints Homer Ref and Fantasy Football Ref, to name a few) destroying the integrity of the game, what team's fan base do you think is the odds on favorite for going crazy and starting a riot (a la Lakers fans after winning a championship) when a missed/questionable call costs their team the game? Not a gambling man, but I'd put my money on Raiders or Eagles fans. Thoughts?
—Miguel, Burbank, CA

SG: Thanks for the unprovoked potshot at Lakers fans and thanks for a really good question. I mulled it over for about 15 minutes and changed my answer multiple times before realizing that it was nearly impossible to pick between Eagles fans and Raiders fans — it's like picking sides in the Lindsay Lohan–Amanda Bynes Career Destruction contest. They're both the odds-on favorites, with Baltimore fans trailing slightly behind. (FYI: Those were the three fan bases mentioned in a reader's "Who would win a Hunger Games–type battle between Raiders fans, Eagles fans and Ravens fans?" mailbag question last April and nobody challenged those three picks.) So I'd have the final odds looking like this: Raiders (-130), Eagles (even), Ravens (+150), The Field (+250).

Here's the catch: I see Eagles fans taking it personally that they weren't favored, increasing their odds of a referee riot because they'd be in "Nobody Believes in Us!" mode. So I wouldn't favor the Eagles, but for that same reason, I'd wager on the Eagles. Either way, you know Roger Goodell has lost control of both his marbles and the 2012 NFL season when fans are seriously debating things like "Which fan base is going to riot over the referees first?" and "How easy would it be to bribe a replacement ref and swing a game?" Stay classy, Roger.
Grantland.com

Bill Simmons is officially my ALL-TIME favorite sports writer, this guy is the perfect syncretic blend of stats induced genius with the panache of a seriously gritty and real sense of humor Smiley

He inserts sports related jokes from every sport and every era seamlessly into a single article about a single sport or athlete, simply brilliant!

By the way, even considering Raiders, Lakers, and Ravens fans, American sports is still a whole lot safer than spectator sports in Poland Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:18:48 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3950 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »

Kobe says he wants to be traded to FC Barcelona.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3951 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »

For the second game in a row, the Beavers of Oregon State shut down a Heisman candidate running back en route to upsetting a Top 25 opponent.

Their victim this week: #19 UCLA

Final Score: OSU 27, UCLA 20

Now will the Beavers be ranked among the Top 25?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3952 on: September 22, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »

Now will the Beavers be ranked among the Top 25?

"You'd think that.."

Maybe they can be the college version of the "Nobody Believes In Us" Philly Eagles Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #3953 on: September 22, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »

So Reds are NL Central champs apparently. Not caring about baseball yet, but I'm considering it.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3954 on: September 23, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »

Major League Baseball could have a Triple Crown winner this year. With less than two weeks left in the season, Miguel Cabrera of the Tigers leads the AL in batting average (.332 to Mike Trout's .325) and RBI (131 to Josh Hamilton's 123) and is tied with Hamilton for the lead in home runs with 42. If Cabrera holds on to win in all three of these stats, he'll be the first player since Carl Yastrzemski in 1967 to win the coveted Triple Crown.
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3955 on: September 23, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »

Again, my almae matresTexas had a bye.  USC rebounded to beat Cal 27-9 (at least, the Bears didn't stink).  And TCU put on a decent show, beating Virginia 27-7; Casey Pachall was on his game, and the Frogs' defense took advantage of a sputtering Cavs offense to cause turnovers which were promptly converted into touchdowns.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3956 on: September 23, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »

Well, when Oregon had a mere 13-0 halftime lead over Arizona, we thought this would actually be a close game for the Ducks. NOT!!! The Ducks outscored the Wildcats 36-0 in the second half, scoring two TDs on pick sixes. For all the scoring the Ducks put together in the game, what was most amazing was the Ducks' defensive performance, especially their 5 takeaways (4 interceptions and 1 fumble recovery), against an offense that averaged close to 50 points per game before tonight.

#3 Oregon 49, #22 Arizona 0

(The Ducks' first shutout of the Arizona Wildcats since 1964)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:01:12 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3957 on: September 23, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »

I guess I'll watch MLB playoffs this year.

Baseball fans, do people usually watch every game in a series?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3958 on: September 23, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »

What happened to the Pirates? Completely crapped the bed.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #3959 on: September 23, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »

Good going against the Potatoes.

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: