OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 427964 times) Average Rating: 5
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3375 on: June 08, 2012, 02:51:30 AM »

Y'all enjoy your NBA.
So you're taking your ball and going home 'cuz you can't stand having your nostalgia bubble popped?

There's no point in arguing over a matter of individual tastes. I don't really dig today's professional sports for a variety of reasons that I have enumerated many times on this thread. Others feel differently, and they're are perfectly entitled to enjoy pro sports if they want to. It's funny that you accuse me of having my "nostalgia bubble" popped when you're the one who often brings up Oscar Robertson. lol.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3376 on: June 08, 2012, 03:41:06 AM »

Y'all enjoy your NBA.
So you're taking your ball and going home 'cuz you can't stand having your nostalgia bubble popped?

There's no point in arguing over a matter of individual tastes. I don't really dig today's professional sports for a variety of reasons that I have enumerated many times on this thread. Others feel differently, and they're are perfectly entitled to enjoy pro sports if they want to. It's funny that you accuse me of having my "nostalgia bubble" popped when you're the one who often brings up Oscar Robertson. lol.
I'm not even old enough to remember Oscar Robertson, so how the hell can I have any nostalgia for him? Huh I just brought him up in a statistical comparison to list those I think were the greatest players of all time. One does not need nostalgia to read and analyze old stats.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3377 on: June 08, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

Since Norway didn't qualify, I am rooting for Sweden and Denmark in Euro 2012. I think Sweden has the best chance of the two to advance to the knock-out rounds.

Group B: Denmark, Germany, Holland, Portugal

Group D: England, France, Sweden, Ukraine

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3378 on: June 08, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

Opening match of Euro 2012: Greece 1 - 1 Poland

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3379 on: June 09, 2012, 12:10:28 AM »

Russia 4 - 1 Czech Republic

Wow, wasn't expecting that!

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3380 on: June 09, 2012, 02:38:28 AM »

Here's one of the weirder pitching gems you'll ever hear about. Six (6) Seattle Mariner pitchers combined to no-hit the best team in the Majors this year: the Dodgers.

Mariner starter Kevin Millwood had a no-no going through six but got hurt in the seventh, and with the Mariners not scoring until the bottom half of that inning and leading only 1-0 after that, they took no chances and finished the game with five relievers.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=320608112

I wonder if that's the record for most pitchers to combine on a no-hitter.

EDIT: Yes, it is. The Houston Astros also sent six pitchers to the mound for a combined no-hitter on June 11, 2003, but no team has ever used more.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-hitter#Combined_no-hitters
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:45:17 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3381 on: June 09, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »

Denmark 1 - 0 Holland! All hail the Scandinavians!!!

Forgive my sins.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3382 on: June 09, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »

Is there anyone who wants the Celtics to win tonight because they actually think it will make for a better NBA Finals series and not just because they are a Boston fan, OKC fan, or hate the Heat?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3383 on: June 09, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »

Euro Cup! Thank God for some real sports!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3384 on: June 09, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »

Selam

Terrible timing for me to watch. Work would come to a stand still if it were the World Cup due to the amount of Latinos we have, but the Euro Cup, forget it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3385 on: June 09, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

Is there anyone who wants the Celtics to win tonight because they actually think it will make for a better NBA Finals series and not just because they are a Boston fan, OKC fan, or hate the Heat?

Was talking to the guy who cuts my hair and the 50 billion other people who seemed to be packed into the barber shop.

Everyone agreed the only reason to want a Boston win would be your point.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3386 on: June 09, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »

Was talking to the guy who cuts my hair and the 50 billion other people who seemed to be packed into the barber shop.

Everyone agreed the only reason to want a Boston win would be your point.

I'd actually really like to see how the Thunder respond to a defense like the Celtics'. I don't really want to watch an offense like the Celtics' however. I'm pretty ambivalent over all though.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3387 on: June 09, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »

Thoughts on the NBA as a litmus test for racism in the SW Ohio tri-State region and wondering whether it applies elsewhere pending.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3388 on: June 09, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »

Bass is gonna win this game. Come on heat

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3389 on: June 09, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »

......aaaaaand we are tied to start the 4th!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3390 on: June 09, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »

LeBron is taking over the game midway through the 4th.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3391 on: June 09, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »

Um Chris Bosh.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3392 on: June 09, 2012, 11:04:31 PM »

Um Chris Bosh.
Yeah, he's having a great game, too.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3393 on: June 09, 2012, 11:12:37 PM »

GO START THE BUS, CELTICS! THIS ONE IS ALL OVER!!!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3394 on: June 09, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »

will anyone throw their beverage on Boston

FAN UP

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3395 on: June 09, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

Sorry Celtics, but Father Time is undefeated

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3396 on: June 09, 2012, 11:23:47 PM »

Who was it on this thread that said that the Heat were so good that Rondo could score a triple-double when it counts most and the Celtics still lose? What can I say but, "You called it!" Rondo finished Game 7 with 22 points, 10 rebounds, and 14 assists, yet his Celtics still lost by 13.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:24:55 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3397 on: June 09, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Who was it on this thread that said that the Heat were so good that Rondo could score a triple-double when it counts most and the Celtics still lose? What can I say but, "You called it!" Rondo finished Game 7 with 22 points, 10 rebounds, and 14 assists, yet his Celtics still lost by 13.
That would be me.  What I said was that the Heat pushed Celtics so hard that Rondo had to score a triple double in Game 2 and still lose.  

Rondo almost did do that, he was just a handful of rebounds and assists away from another play-off triple double!  The reality is even Rondo exploding can't carry Boston past a Heat that has Wade and Lebron both playing at video game levels AND with their bench finally beginning to sync..  Still, nothing is a given, and I'm sure Boston can take it to seven, last night they were just quite literally exhausted.  

Two consecutive years now Lebron has been able to defeat his archrival the Celtics.  They have clowned him so much.  During the first half, I had flashbacks of 2010.  Paul Pierce is the Truth, you're game better be up there.  Those same Celtics pushed that Lakers Game 7 to the absolute brink.  Most of the 2nd half of this game was the same.  Then after a dunk Lebron got that look again.  Oh yeah, Chris Bosh was playing like he was in Toronto again, and Wade made his usual kind of magical levitation shots that amazes even Derrick Rose, but Lebron just did it again.  When did he sit down? Right, never.  When did he back down? Right, never. Not after he got that look again.  At first I thought the Heat should watch out for my Thunder, but now..  Its anyone's trophy.  These were some of the best Conference Finals I have seen in a long time.  So much drama, so much emotion, so much on the line, so many years culminating in just a handful of minutes.  

For yet another year I am spoiled.  In 2010 Lakers had the trophy and we danced in the streets with Magic Johnson and 8000 LAPD officers Smiley  In 2011 Lebron overcame the Celtics and the Heat collapsed on the brink, but at least they made it that far, which honesty I didn't expect until this year.  Now this year, my Thunder conquered the past 10 championships worth of teams to get to the Finals.  The first time I've followed from laughing stock of the league to the NBA Finals.  Spoiled.  It so honestly does not matter to me who wins this trophy, because both of my teams are there.  I always follow an Eastern team and a Western team, both in NFL and NBA, but never have they collided.  Kevin Durrant got that look in his eye in the playoffs in 2010 and I said to myself, watch these kids are gonna climb to the top.  Lebron got that look in the last game and this game too..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:53:02 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3398 on: June 09, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »

Celtics' matador defense. Lebron gets a head of steam and they step aside and swipe vainly at the ball as he goes barrelling down the lane. Lebron is a beast, a great player, but he sure gets a lot of help from some weak hearted defensive play. I thought that perhaps in the fourth quarter of game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, pride and guts would override fear. But alas, not in today's NBA. (And BTW, I don't have a dog in the hunt, so it matters not to me who won.)

Selam
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:29:55 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3399 on: June 09, 2012, 11:35:10 PM »

Celtics' matador defense. Lebron gets a head of steam and they step aside and swipe vainly at the ball as he goes barrelling down the lane. Lebron is a beast, a great player, but he sure gets a lot of help from some weak hearted defensive play. I thought that perhaps in the fourth quarter of game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, pride and guts would override fear. But alas, not in today's NBA. (And BTW, I don't have a dog in the hunt, so it matters not to me who won.)
Dude, if all you're gonna do is badmouth today's NBA, then just go away and leave us alone.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3400 on: June 09, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »

It was a hell of a game. As advertised game 7. Even if this is the celtics last year with this crew I will always remember them being the team to beat for the last decade. Anyone who says that this year's east champ gets a * is a freaking idiot because the Celtics had more heart then probably any team in the league and it is no easy task to go through them. That being said go heat!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3401 on: June 09, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »

I called the dagger in minute nine of fourth.

The Celtics were broken while still having their last lead of the game.

Achronos, Habte school me on the OKC and the match up. I've dinero to spend.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3402 on: June 09, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »

Oh and F Rondo. Going to the lockers before the end. Or am I outta my mind?

The Celtics MVP, Doc Rivers, has been nothing but integrity the entire series.

He and Lebron obviously have great respect for each other and showed it at the end of the series.

Imagine with Heat with a coach like Doc Rivers . . .

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3403 on: June 10, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior jesus Christ!

Only Ibaka or Perk can stop Lebron.  Wade and Westbrook are about the same when it comes to levitation shooting, but Wade is a hands down better defender.  Harden lives by the drive, but can be annoyed into poor shooting if whistles don't go his way, his own quote, "I live by the getting to the line."  Sefolosha is going to make problems for the Heat's Pace and Space, but over all, after the Heat explosions in Indiana and Boston and with the Heat a more experienced team at the Finals level, I'd say its their year. It comes down to Bosh creating the space by being in the middle, with Battier and Chalmers getting the perimeter, and Wade and Lebron setting a high pace.  Now Bosh has improved the half-court presence on offense too so..  Then again, KD is the next Jordan with his ability to simply score baskets when they are needed and now get some good defense.

These are literally both my teams, but we will have to wait and see the first two games and see what kind of adjustments.  Scotty Brooks is a better coach, but all the shining lights aside Miami has the better talent. It will go to 6 or 7.

it will still be good for Oklahoma even if the lose, because they got their first banner as the Thunder, climbed the ladder steadily each season, and these guys are mostly under 25 years old.  The Heat have been working at this a bit longer, and have it down it a bit more at that level.  Thunder will be the dynasty of the future.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:25:54 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3404 on: June 10, 2012, 12:26:27 AM »

OKC in 5

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3405 on: June 10, 2012, 12:29:31 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

OKC in 5

brave call.. and OKC are my team! I wouldn't mind either way, but I think that youth has its perks, but so does a bit of experience.  Mavs, Lakers, and Spurs are ridiculously talented teams, but a bit past their prime.  Thunder are an explosive team, but still a bit young.  Heat are the goldilocks in the middle, just enough age to temper experience, and just enough youth to bring that explosive effort.  Truthfully, I really don't know, but looking back at the first two games in San Antonio I'd say the Heat will prevail, but it will not be easy by any means.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3406 on: June 10, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »

Thanks a lot Habte!

And thanks a lot Achronos . . .

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3407 on: June 10, 2012, 12:46:46 AM »

Dude, if all you're gonna do is badmouth today's NBA, then just go away and leave us alone.

Dude, I gave my honest assessment of the game. I rarely comment on the NBA, leaving you guys to discuss it all you want. But now and then I will chime in with my own opinion, which is what this thread is for after all. Feel free to disagree all you want.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3408 on: June 10, 2012, 01:07:32 AM »

See below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Gz724sjAQ
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:07:46 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3409 on: June 10, 2012, 02:01:33 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

See below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Gz724sjAQ

They did, but then came back out, and Pierce and Rondo were out giving hugs and shaking hands, including to LeBron.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3410 on: June 10, 2012, 02:09:42 AM »

Dude, I gave my honest assessment of the game. I rarely comment on the NBA, leaving you guys to discuss it all you want. But now and then I will chime in with my own opinion, which is what this thread is for after all. Feel free to disagree all you want.
Your comment about "today's NBA", though, was not about tonight's game; it was yet another one of those digs you like to take against "today's NBA". You may certainly be entitled to take such disrespectful pot shots against a league so many of us are talking about here, but that doesn't make your comments welcome.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3411 on: June 10, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »

Selam

Yeah, go Gebre! Norway didn't qualify, sadly...but I have the other Scandinavian countries Danmark and Sweden to root for!

I'm sure the Germans will win it all though.

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3412 on: June 10, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I'm glad the Danes got that upset against the Oranges to retaliate for the World Cup 2010.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3413 on: June 10, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »

I'm glad the Danes got that upset against the Oranges to retaliate for the World Cup 2010.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Dude what do you watch? The Panopticon Sports Network?

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3414 on: June 10, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Dude what do you watch? The Panopticon Sports Network?

haha! I do keep my eye on a lot of things mutually at the same time.  I got that Windows Post-Rapture edition with omniscient multi-tasking Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3415 on: June 10, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »

If football* doesn't start soon I think I'm going to explode. Get going already!!!

*I mean real football, American football...  angel

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3416 on: June 10, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »

Soccer fans, see this post:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,45171.msg761531.html#msg761531

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3417 on: June 10, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »

After getting needlessly dissed out of the World Cup last time (not that we necessarily could have qualified, but Addis Ababa was initially scheduled to host 14 matches which would have generated a good deal of income and attention) Ethiopia advances to the next round of qualifying matches by leading their group with a 2-0 win over Central African Republic.  South Africa eliminated!

stay blessed ,
habte selassie

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #3418 on: June 10, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »

Yay! Yay!   Grin

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #3419 on: June 10, 2012, 10:20:52 PM »

If football* doesn't start soon I think I'm going to explode. Get going already!!!

*I mean real football, American football...  angel

Isn't the preseason usually in September? Not that long to go.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: