OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:18:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415278 times) Average Rating: 5
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3195 on: May 23, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I don't see OKC winning it because the Spurs are probably going to win in 5 games.

Yeah, the Spurs have the best chance of defeating the Thunder. I know the Pacers are a good team, but I'd rather the Celtics play the Pacers than the Heat. I think a Celtics vs. Spurs NBA Finals would be pretty interesting.
About as interesting as watching paint dry. Meh!

Word.  I don't care how many championships they have, I just can't get into a Spurs game.  Their logos and floor design are more attractive, enticing, and exciting then their game!  And like I said, they have a soft schedule which has inflated their recent record.  How were they in January when they were 1 and 8 on the road? Oh yeah, they were playing a heavy schedule against the better teams.  How were they in April when they started these 18 game streaks? Oh yeah, playing soft teams who were exhausted by the lock-out schedule Wink

Anyone remember when the Suns took the broom out on the Spurs in 2010?

I'm just no buying that Spurs can actually hang in a 7 game series against a good team like Oklahoma City.  I'm not convinced without Chris Bosh that the Heat could even withstand OKC, let alone the Spurs.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:17:35 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3196 on: May 24, 2012, 04:13:10 PM »

The Pittsburgh Pirates would have a superb offense if they would just invest in cloning Andrew McCutchen, and then use him to fill all positions except pitcher. McCutchen leads the Pirates in pretty much every offensive category (ties are noted in the parentheses)...

Batting Avg. - .338
SLG - .543
OPS - .934
Home Runs - 7 (Pedro Alvarez also has 7 home runs... to go with his .203 avg.)
RBI - 24
OBP - .391
Hits - 51
Runs - 25
Doubles - 8 (Clint Barmes also has 8 doubles... to go with his .178 avg)
Walks - 13 (Casey McGehee also has 13 walks... to go with his .186 avg)
Stolen Bases - 8

I wonder what those numbers would be for Cutch if anyone else on the team tried to hit the ball...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:14:35 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3197 on: May 24, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »

greetings in that divine and most precious name of our lord and savior jesus christ!
The Pittsburgh Pirates would have a superb offense if they would just invest in cloning Andrew McCutchen, and then use him to fill all positions except pitcher. McCutchen leads the Pirates in pretty much every offensive category (ties are noted in the parentheses)...

Batting Avg. - .338
SLG - .543
OPS - .934
Home Runs - 7 (Pedro Alvarez also has 7 home runs... to go with his .203 avg.)
RBI - 24
OBP - .391
Hits - 51
Runs - 25
Doubles - 8 (Clint Barmes also has 8 doubles... to go with his .178 avg)
Walks - 13 (Casey McGehee also has 13 walks... to go with his .186 avg)
Stolen Bases - 8

I wonder what those numbers would be for Cutch if anyone else on the team tried to hit the ball...

gloves are off!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3198 on: May 24, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »

lol Pacers

I am bandwagoning OKC so hard. A trophy for Clay Bennett.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:36:43 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3199 on: May 24, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

lol Pacers

You should, I am scared of OKC against my Heat and OKC are my team!!

Pacers thought they could win the fight by throwing punches and blows, turns out you just have to play 90s Bulls level basketball! What up with D-Wade and LeBron stepping up with mutual videogame tandem numbers this series? Literally in the past 15 years only Kobe and Shaq and Russel and Kevin can match that kind of effort.  When OKC meets Miami in the finals we are going to see some high scoring games like the 2010 Spurs-Phoenix series which averaged 225 points a game even though Suns swept the Spurs!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:47:42 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3200 on: May 24, 2012, 10:49:26 PM »

Got the spread and took the over in spite of Indiana paying off the league and refs.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3201 on: May 24, 2012, 10:52:34 PM »

lol Pacers

You should, I am scared of OKC against my Heat and OKC are my team!!

Pacers thought they could win the fight by throwing punches and blows, turns out you just have to play 90s Bulls level basketball! What up with D-Wade and LeBron stepping up with mutual videogame tandem numbers this series? Literally in the past 15 years only Kobe and Shaq and Russel and Kevin can match that kind of effort.  When OKC meets Miami in the finals we are going to see some high scoring games like the 2010 Spurs-Phoenix series which averaged 225 points a game even though Suns swept the Spurs!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
And 2 wins against the Heat in the second round... 5th best record in the league. A great foundation, just a few minor tweaks in the back-court and this team can make it even further.

Glad that the Pacers are once again a viable franchise in the NBA.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3202 on: May 24, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »

And 2 wins against the Heat in the second round... 5th best record in the league. A great foundation, just a few minor tweaks in the back-court and this team can make it even further.

Glad that the Pacers are once again a viable franchise in the NBA.

Agreed and hats off to them.  I was telling folks earlier this season to watch out for the Pacers, I thought they would do better than Bulls or Celtics, which is proving true.  I was just upset about how absolutely dirty they had to play against the Heat's smothering defense and explosive offense.  They have more talent then that, when they played clean and efficient they actually dominated, its when Heat got to them they caved and went for the dirt.  Miami thrives on that.
Got the spread and took the over in spite of Indiana paying off the league and refs.

HaHa!! I am SOOOO glad you noticed that. Pacers were taking the Phil Jackson approach Heat was thinking, "you know what? Haslem needed some time off."  Between Mike Miller, Joel Anthony, and Shane Battier finally stepping up, the pace and space is finally working! I see Heat also took a note from the Lakers, with their role players only deciding to finally start showing up in the playoffs.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:59:31 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3203 on: May 24, 2012, 11:21:28 PM »

If they did pay people off, they did a really crappy job.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3204 on: May 24, 2012, 11:47:33 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Dwyane Wade scored 20 points in the 2nd quarter. Its tied for his 2nd-most points in any quarter of a playoff game. He had 20 points in 4th quarter on May 25, 2005 vs Pistons, and had 22 points in 3rd quarter on May 14, 2005 vs Wizards.
Elias Stats INC

So Dwyane Wade has the record for most points in a single play-off quarter, and comes close to matching it tonight! These guys are something else. I finally realized their secret.  While most of the team is not the greatest at offense (strategic role players) just about EVERYBODY on the roster has impacting defense, and that is what makes the difference. Spoelstra said, "The best offense is  a better defense."  The Heat have had the most efficient defense this post season combined with one of the most explosive offensive pairs in NBA history. Currently Lebron James has the second most 40+ point play-off games (2nd most among current players) and Wade has seven., Kobe tops the current list.

LeBron James added 28 points in the victory, matching his career average of 28.3 points per game in potential series clinchers. That mark is the fourth-highest all-time, according to Elias, trailing only Michael Jordan, Elgin Baylor, and Jerry West (min. 15 games).
espn
stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:57:35 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3205 on: May 25, 2012, 10:14:14 PM »

and my Toronto Marlies have evanced to the Calder Cup finals!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

SCREW BON JOVI!
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3206 on: May 25, 2012, 10:35:34 PM »

The Rangers-Devils game is going into overtime.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3207 on: May 26, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »

The NBA leader in triple-doubles for the 2011-12 season, Boston's Rajon Rondo, just did it again, scoring his second T-D of the postseason as his Celtics eliminated the 76ers in Game 7. Rondo's Game 7 line: 18 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=320526002
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:34:01 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3208 on: May 27, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »

The NBA leader in triple-doubles for the 2011-12 season, Boston's Rajon Rondo, just did it again, scoring his second T-D of the postseason as his Celtics eliminated the 76ers in Game 7. Rondo's Game 7 line: 18 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds

Don't remind me, we need Bosh back!  Ol Crazy Legs Rondo has developed to a ridiculously elite guard..  He just tied with Wilt Chamberlain  (!!) for play-off triples, but he has a career away to go to catch up with Magic, of course does LeBron who was previously tied with Rondo for 8.  For regular season triples LeBron is just behind Grant Hill forth 8th place on the all-time career triples list. Rondo's 14 is just above Lamar Odom (12) a surprise to see Odom there!  Pretty good company which I was surprised to find Grant Hill in!

Game 7 Triple-Doubles
NBA History
Year   Opponent
Rajon Rondo   2012   76ers
Russell Westbrook   2011   Grizzlies
Scottie Pippen   1992   Knicks
James Worthy   1988   Pistons
Larry Bird   1984   Knicks
Jerry West   1969   Celtics
>>source: Elias Sports Bureau

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:31:16 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3209 on: May 27, 2012, 12:32:05 AM »

Celtics have no chance against the Bosh-less Heat.

I'm not worried.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3210 on: May 27, 2012, 12:48:09 AM »

Celtics have no chance against the Bosh-less Heat.

I'm not worried.

Its not winning the series I'm anxious about (I don't mean to sound arrogant but Sixers took Boston to 7 and if they hadn't gotten 17 turnovers they just may have been able to have won it!) because even with a strong surge by Celtics the Heat can get em in seven games.  The problem is it it took video game performances just to beat the Pacers, and Mike Miller ain't got the health to do that in 7 against Boston, and so if the Heat do beat Boston it will be so exhausting that the Finals will be too much.  It will take video game numbers for Heat to beat OKC's own video game performances (or even the Spurs!) and so three consecutive series like that is simply impossible, even for King James and the Batman.  The only way is for the Heat to simply shine in like the 1997-98 Bulls, and nothing less will get a trophy from any team East or West this year..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3211 on: May 27, 2012, 01:31:29 AM »

We're just talking about the Celtics right now.

The Heat don't have 3 HoF elite defenders on their roster, and the Bulls still had a better bench and starting Center too.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3212 on: May 27, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »

The Spurs probably played their worst game in a MONTH and they still win.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3213 on: May 28, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »

The Spurs probably played their worst game in a MONTH and they still win.

OKC will make their adjustments.  Both teams were playing mediocre to their potential, feeling each other out.  I am definitely worried, but I think that Spurs simply haven't been challenged yet.  The problem for OKC is that the team as a whole has been slumping and relying too much on KD and Westbrook, they used to play ridiculously good, deep, team ball which is how the Spurs have been rolling lately..

This OKC loss was predictable, if anything I'm impressed that they kept it close and had a strong lead in the 3rd, very promising Smiley
stay blessed,
habte selassie

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3214 on: May 28, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »

Too bad he only has four more games ahead of him this year.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:27:13 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3215 on: May 28, 2012, 01:01:08 AM »

If OKC pulled out that W, it would be pretty huge for them. The series isn't decided, but I kinda feel like OKC left a pretty big opportunity on the table the may not get many chances for.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3216 on: May 29, 2012, 01:59:24 AM »

I love Lebron James.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3217 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:28 AM »

LeBron James scored 32 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in Miami's Game 1 win over the Celtics. James had another big game against the Celtics in Game 4 last year (35 points, 14 rebounds). The last NBA player with at least 32 points and 13 rebounds in a playoff game against the Celtics twice in his career was Patrick Ewing, who had two such games against the Celtics in 1990. elias sports

I love Lebron James.

I'm most impressed with Mike Miller and Joel Anthony for finally stepping up to where we needed them.. As to LBJ, I have more of a love-hate relationship with LeBron.  He is approaching Kobe with the number of times he has let me down in the past few years, and yet equally at kobe levels with a similar number of symbolic wins and in your face moments.. then again, the past few days, I've had a love-hate relationship with just about everything in general  Undecided

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:51:46 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3218 on: May 29, 2012, 05:28:34 AM »

"The Others..." © Shaq

Battier: 10 PTS, 10 REBS, 2 ASST, 2 BLK, 1 STL
Mario: 9 PTS, 3 REB, 3 ASST, 1 BLK
Miller: 8 PTS, 3 REBS
Turiaf: 4 PTS, 5 REBS, 1 BLK
Joel: 1 PTS, 5 REB, 2 BLK

TOTAL: 32 PTS, 26 REB, 5 ASST, 6 BLK, 1 STL

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3219 on: May 29, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »

"The Others..." © Shaq

Battier: 10 PTS, 10 REBS, 2 ASST, 2 BLK, 1 STL
Mario: 9 PTS, 3 REB, 3 ASST, 1 BLK
Miller: 8 PTS, 3 REBS
Turiaf: 4 PTS, 5 REBS, 1 BLK
Joel: 1 PTS, 5 REB, 2 BLK

TOTAL: 32 PTS, 26 REB, 5 ASST, 6 BLK, 1 STL

It is about time, though Mike Miller can only fool us for so long into thinking that he is lounging it laying down on the sidelines because he is cool and not because his body is falling apart at several levels. and joel anthony had 3 points which would have been 5 but they took away a basket past the shot clock

stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3220 on: May 29, 2012, 04:55:05 PM »

Who wins and why?

Oklahoma City in 7. I think OKC’s athleticism and firepower will be too much. They have more firepower than San Antonio and by that I mean their individual players. I believe that’s what will decide this series. Both teams do a good job defensively so it’s going to come down to individual matchups.

I don’t think San Antonio has been tested so far in terms of guarding really good scorers. The main scorers they’ve faced have been interior players. They haven’t seen the likes of Durant, Westbrook and Harden, guys who can put up 30 every night. To have three guys like that on one team is going to be hard for the Spurs to handle. It’s the ultimate test for Popovich’s scheme.
From Luc Richard's scouting report on the Thunder/Spurs match up..

stay  blessed,
habte selassie

christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3221 on: May 29, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »

I'd like to see him do that against the Heat. The Celtics were terrible last night. They played decent in the first half, but in the fourth quarter they just fell apart.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3222 on: May 29, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »

I'd like to see him do that against the Heat. The Celtics were terrible last night. They played decent in the first half, but in the fourth quarter they just fell apart.

Rondo almost did do that, he was just a handful of rebounds and assists away from another play-off triple double!  The reality is even Rondo exploding can't carry Boston past a Heat that has Wade and Lebron both playing at video game levels AND with their bench finally beginning to sync..  Still, nothing is a given, and I'm sure Boston can take it to seven, last night they were just quite literally exhausted. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3223 on: May 29, 2012, 11:54:31 PM »

Its not the embarrassing way the Spurs have clowned OKC twice  now that scares me, that is bad enough. 

Hollinger
In 5

Hollinger is like a blasted NBA ouija board  Embarrassed

My only hope is Miami's swarming defense can finally overwhelm the hard rolling Spurs, as defense has always been Thunder's weakness.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3224 on: May 31, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »

Frustrating game, but glad the Heat won.

3 point shooting was crucial once again.

But if the trend continues, most of the coverage will be about Boston losing, the officiating and the Wade foul that went uncalled, and Rondo's record performance and playing the entire game on top of that.

Probably no mention of Bosh not playing, but maybe I'm being a pessimist.

Free throw misses were cringe-inducing, though.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3225 on: May 31, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »

but maybe I'm being a pessimist.

Yes, your glass is too half-empty. Heat had to push Rajon Rondo to play the best game of his career and still lose, even though Celtics had a lead in every quarter.  LeBron got Paul Pierce to foul out and even with some of his poorest shooting this season he still managed to get 34 pts and was just as close to a triple double as Rondo was.  Our role players stepped up ridiculously well, especially when it counted most.   we are playing where we need to be. I thought it was a great game, one of the most exciting since that great win over the Pacers.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:47:54 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3226 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »

Three years I've been trying to figure who Westbrook looked like in trash talk..

nailed it!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3227 on: May 31, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »

I wish Popovich coached the Heat so we would see Mike Miller DNP-Frail.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3228 on: May 31, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »

No, Pop is a mean son of a gun.  The Spurs are called a humble or quiet or basketball first team, but straight up, Pop is mean.  He yells, scolds, howls even when Spurs are up in double figures! He is like ten Kobes and 15 Jordans with McHale clothesline approach!  Spoelstra has his downsides, but the Heat have the same kind of intense chemistry with him that Thunder have with Liam Nielsen err Scotty Brooks.  That goes a lot further then just an IQ of Xs and Os.  Rings aren't everything, personality goes a long way..

Tonight Spurs looked confused, frustrated, lost in too many rotations (like Mike Brown's flaw in Cleveland), a lot like the Spurs we remember from back in January and February who almost set an NBA record for road-loss streak.  A soft schedule pumped up Spurs, and while they've been looking insanely good, Thunder just exposed the the achilles heal, psychology.  Spurs play about the smartest basketball I've ever seen, but that is the problem.  Shake up a math whiz by taking away the calculator, and suddenly things are leveled by sheer effort and explosiveness.  Nash can be disabled in the same way, and folks were almost beginning to compare Parker to Nash (meh)..  Basketball nerds are just as vulnerable to the bullying of sheer jock athleticism.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3229 on: May 31, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »

but maybe I'm being a pessimist.

Yes, your glass is too half-empty. Heat had to push Rajon Rondo to play the best game of his career and still lose, even though Celtics had a lead in every quarter.  LeBron got Paul Pierce to foul out and even with some of his poorest shooting this season he still managed to get 34 pts and was just as close to a triple double as Rondo was.  Our role players stepped up ridiculously well, especially when it counted most.   we are playing where we need to be. I thought it was a great game, one of the most exciting since that great win over the Pacers.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I appreciate that, but very little comes from me celebrating things that went right for the Heat since OC.net doesnt support that. Wink

SAS went from putting on one of the best team efforts in a playoff game in Game 2, to putting on one of the most boring, uninspired games in Game 3.

I don't find OKC exciting when they are hitting open shots and uncontested drives to the rim. People were saying the Miami/Boston series was boring? Tonight's game was terribly uninspired. Wonder if the Spurs can find some energy in Game 4?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:05:31 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3230 on: June 01, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »

SAS went from putting on one of the best team efforts in a playoff game in Game 2, to putting on one of the most boring, uninspired games in Game 3.

I don't find OKC exciting when they are hitting open shots and uncontested drives to the rim. People were saying the Miami/Boston series was boring? Tonight's game was terribly uninspired. Wonder if the Spurs can find some energy in Game 4?

Even when Spurs score 120 points, I've always thought they were uninspiring and boring.  I also agree that when OKC is in blowout mode they are less exciting to watch, but considering this was payback it was worth the bore.  Miami-Boston series boring? With Rondo scoring 44pts, it going to over time, and the Celtics leading in every single quarter on Miami's floor? Seriously?

I agree that Mike needs to take a break, but if he is down, I guess we got to let him take a stab at it, his numbers have been decent enough, especially all things considering.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3231 on: June 01, 2012, 12:13:16 AM »

No, Pop is a mean son of a gun.  The Spurs are called a humble or quiet or basketball first team, but straight up, Pop is mean.  He yells, scolds, howls even when Spurs are up in double figures! He is like ten Kobes and 15 Jordans with McHale clothesline approach!  Spoelstra has his downsides, but the Heat have the same kind of intense chemistry with him that Thunder have with Liam Nielsen err Scotty Brooks.  That goes a lot further then just an IQ of Xs and Os.  Rings aren't everything, personality goes a long way..

Tonight Spurs looked confused, frustrated, lost in too many rotations (like Mike Brown's flaw in Cleveland), a lot like the Spurs we remember from back in January and February who almost set an NBA record for road-loss streak.  A soft schedule pumped up Spurs, and while they've been looking insanely good, Thunder just exposed the the achilles heal, psychology.  Spurs play about the smartest basketball I've ever seen, but that is the problem.  Shake up a math whiz by taking away the calculator, and suddenly things are leveled by sheer effort and explosiveness.  Nash can be disabled in the same way, and folks were almost beginning to compare Parker to Nash (meh)..  Basketball nerds are just as vulnerable to the bullying of sheer jock athleticism.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stay blessed,
habte selassie
what the hell are you blabbering about

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3232 on: June 01, 2012, 12:37:37 AM »

what the hell are you blabbering about
now China Town.. was.. a classic

Haha..

what I am saying is the Spurs are boring because their game is simply to choreographed, too boring, to mathematical and B-Ball IQ intelligent, but without the explosiveness or charisma of other teams with less proficiency.  Its sort of like only technically they are one of the best teams, in the most literal meaning of the word.  They can be shaken up and thrown off their game when because they have a tendency to over think and over coach and not just flow with it.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:37:53 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3233 on: June 01, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »

what I am saying is the Spurs are boring because their game is simply to choreographed, too boring, to mathematical and B-Ball IQ intelligent, but without the explosiveness or charisma of other teams with less proficiency.  Its sort of like only technically they are one of the best teams, in the most literal meaning of the word.  They can be shaken up and thrown off their game when because they have a tendency to over think and over coach and not just flow with it.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
This is a much more clear rendition of your point

Unfortunately, your point is stupid and bad. You're way off the mark with your analysis of why the Spurs lost or how their system contributed but, I am with you on why you find the Spurs boring. Their execution and system is so perfect, so proficient and efficient, and as a whole they're just so consistent that it's just soulless for me.

It's like when you meet a beautiful perfect girl, and you want to get to know her, and you fall in love with her, part of the fun and romance is learning all her little flaws and quirks and stuff that makes her imperfect and human, and even though she's never that "perfect" girl you saw her as initially, she's so much more interesting and compelling and real to you because she's imperfect. The Spurs are like the beautiful perfect girl, and you get to know her, and she doesn't have any flaws. She's maddeningly, inhumanly consistent and successful. If she has flaws, which surely she does, she hides them or compensates for them so well you never see behind the curtain. To me, that's not interesting. She's still nice to look at, and hang out with, but I'm never going to care about her the way I do that first girl who I can appreciate for all her faults

So the Spurs are like a Stepford wife and it creeps me out and bores me and I don't like it is what I'm saying I guess.

I actually have no idea if that was what you were even saying, that's just me.

Profanity removed from above  -PtA

Because yet another of your posts needed to be modified to remove a profanity, you are receiving this warning to last for the next 30 days. If you wish to appeal this action, please send me a private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:16:39 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3234 on: June 01, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »

Anchronos, are you .. ok there?

I stand by my analysis, that the Spurs are too good for their own good, and confuse themselves.  When you play basketball TOO smart, you are not playing by the flow of the actual game going on.  Further, if your coach over adjusts all the time, it makes things frustrating.  Folks act like we haven't seen the Spurs lose games before just because they are on a few good runs.  I've watched the Spurs lose all kinds of games, including getting SWEPT by Phoenix in 2010, and their flaw then was the same as it is now.  Way to much B-Ball IQ and strategizing, not enough spontaneous basketball.  Sometimes you have rely on talent, not playbooks.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3235 on: June 01, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »

Any amazing team's play will be dictated more by habit than by thinking. The game would move way too fast if Ginobili or Parker or whoever had to sit there and calculate the optimal pass every time. The Spurs are good because good basketball has been drilled into them and is second nature.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3236 on: June 01, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »

Any amazing team's play will be dictated more by habit than by thinking. The game would move way too fast if Ginobili or Parker or whoever had to sit there and calculate the optimal pass every time. The Spurs are good because good basketball has been drilled into them and is second nature.

That I'm just not buying.  Again, I've seen these supposed almighty Spurs lose a few games in their time, including several clunkers this season and now in these playoffs, and the common denominator was a classic Matt Ryan deer in the headlights look. You could see the moments of hesitation as well.  In their losses you can see them over analyze their adjustments, or simply run to many different kinds of rotations or plays based off IQ rather than the feel of that particular game.  If you watch the Spurs' games carefully enough you begin to see the strings like in Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas of all the choreography.  Again, that is fine, that is excellent, intelligent basketball.  But its weakness is an explosive opposition and further can be shredded by a smarter or more explosive defense.  That is just my opinion of course Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:52:41 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3237 on: June 01, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »

You can't out-think dumb, because they don't know they're being out-thunk.

But anyway, your opinion is very bad. If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't have thought we were talking about a team that was 10-1 in the playoffs. This year's Spurs are better than the team that got swept in 2010. Their flaws from that season really aren't the same as now. Also, relying on talent and not playbooks is part of what lost the Heat the finals last year.

All the Spurs are missing are dunks and iso-ball and dumber players, right?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:33:15 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3238 on: June 01, 2012, 08:35:16 PM »

I wonder if they will show this on TV tonight

Celtics fans, including the world's most famous Celtics fan, truly believe that the NBA is rigged and/or biased for Miami and against Boston. To do their best to give David Stern an aneurism, there's a campaign to print out and wear masks of everyone's favorite crooked ref Tim Donaghy. This is the best possible way to win the nation's hearts and bias the refs against the Cs for game 3, both at the same time.

If this sounds like one of those talk radio stunts mostly done to bring attention to the show, that's because it is. It's the work of Toucher and Rich, who as we told you yesterday weren't even doing sports until a couple years ago. Seems like they've figured out the game pretty quickly.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145335501&p=892396181

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3239 on: June 01, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »

You can't out-think dumb, because they don't know they're being out-thunk.

But anyway, your opinion is very bad. If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't have thought we were talking about a team that was 10-1 in the playoffs. This year's Spurs are better than the team that got swept in 2010. Their flaws from that season really aren't the same as now. Also, relying on talent and not playbooks is part of what lost the Heat the finals last year.

All the Spurs are missing are dunks and iso-ball and dumber players, right?

No, what lost it for the Heat was a shallow team, in other words, not ENOUGH talent, there is plenty of basketball IQ out there in the Heat.  If anything, I was surprised enough that Miami even made it that far, and this year will be the same challenge because Pat Riley made the same bonehead decisions he did last season.   And no, what the Spurs are missing is intangible, its a vibe, not another strategy to add to the playbook, they have plenty of those.  

Also about that last Heats-Celtics Game 2, Rondo played a career high in minutes and scoring and the combined 96 points was also an all-time high for the Allen, Rondo, Pierce, and Garnett all playing together.  In other words, Heat pushed Boston to play one of its finest games EVER, and they still lost.  For that, I am a bit more confident about Heat this year than last, but only if Bosh can make it back on a prayer or some NBA magic.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: