OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:46:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 427982 times) Average Rating: 5
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2835 on: February 02, 2012, 12:13:45 AM »

ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE  ROLL TIDE  ROLL TIDE

And the TIDE keeps Rolling with the #1  recruiting class for 2012!

http://espn.go.com/colleges/alabama/story/_/id/7530170/alabama-crimson-tide-land-no-1-recruiting-class

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1184626

ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE   ROLL TIDE  ROLL TIDE  ROLL TIDE

Selam
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:14:12 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2836 on: February 02, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »

Angelo Dundee: Memory Eternal!!!

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/legendary-trainer-angelo-dundee-passes-at-age-90-107264

Selam
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:22:46 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2837 on: February 02, 2012, 02:27:26 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Take that Mavs!! The Thunder rolled in Dallas tonight..

and Lord please forgive me but I just can't resist a bit of playground immaturity and trash talk a bit..

Hey Marion, couldn't save the day this time eh? Don't get me wrong, I liked you in Phoenix and Miami, but I still got to trash talk..

and looks like Jim Carrey err.. Rick Carlisle got ejected..

Sorry y'all, but I REALLY enjoyed this game, this win, and sticking it to the supposed reigning champs Smiley

stay blessed,

habte selassie

Clippers.. real deal decades in the making.. that was such a great game and what a finish!!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #2838 on: February 02, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Rest in peace.  Cry

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2839 on: February 02, 2012, 10:49:18 PM »

Soooo...Super Bowl predictions?

Just like 2007, I'm going with the Giants all the way (now that they knocked out my beloved Falcons). In fact, I was the only person I knew then who had the Giants picked to beat the 2007 Patriots. Should be a fun game this time, IMO.

I predict that the New England Patriots will win by a touchdown.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2840 on: February 03, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »

Paterno became head coach in 1966, the year before the first Super Bowl. At least one player he coached has been in every one of the 46 Super Bowls.  He produced several hundred pro players. At the start of this past season, there were 36 Nittany Lions on NFL rosters.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2841 on: February 03, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »

Tebow picks Patriots to win.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #2842 on: February 03, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »

NY Football Giants 21, Pats 20. Win by a last minute touchdown drive as par for the course.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2843 on: February 03, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »

Soooo...Super Bowl predictions?

Just like 2007, I'm going with the Giants all the way (now that they knocked out my beloved Falcons). In fact, I was the only person I knew then who had the Giants picked to beat the 2007 Patriots. Should be a fun game this time, IMO.

I predict that the New England Patriots will win by a touchdown.

Sounds about right. I'm with you.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2844 on: February 03, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »

And the TIDE keeps Rolling with the #1  recruiting class for 2012!
But the pre-season Number 1 will be...
[drum roll effect on]
LSU
[drum roll effect off]
You heard it here first.

(And then I hope either Arkansas or Alabama is the team to hand them their first loss!)
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #2845 on: February 04, 2012, 12:22:22 AM »

So, seriously, can anyone recommend a good church to visit this Sunday in Indianapolis? No reason.  Wink

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2846 on: February 04, 2012, 04:38:56 AM »

Skyrim Super Bowl Prediction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFiY7gJlYfA&feature=g-logo&context=G2770b9cFOAAAAAAAAAA

Forgive my sins.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #2847 on: February 04, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »

PS-Go Pats, but I won't say anything negative about the Giants.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2848 on: February 04, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »

So, seriously, can anyone recommend a good church to visit this Sunday in Indianapolis? No reason.  Wink
Since he is in town, whatever church Tebow is attending. Shocked

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2849 on: February 04, 2012, 10:21:44 AM »

Since he is in town, whatever church Tebow is attending. Shocked
Hahahaha! That'd be something. Maybe Polamalu's going?

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2850 on: February 04, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

With everyone talking about the Blake Griffin dunk against Perkins last week (really though, even Blake doesn't see what all the fuss is about, it had elevation but realistically looked no better then any of his other highlight reel dunks, I think folks are just trying to rub it in on Perkins who is supposed to be some tuff dude on the court, besides Kevin Durant had an equally impressive coast-to-coast Tomahawk dunk that same game and LeBron the night before literally leap-frogged over a player to get a dunk too ) I found this article which brought up EXACTLY who Blake has been reminding me of..

Shawn "the Rainman" Kemp..

Ahh I remember when this brother was the dunk master of a dunk filled NBA, I am surprised that no body in the sports world or newspapers had brought him up sooner!

By Baxter Holmes LA Times
February 2, 2012, 9:26 p.m.
Blake Griffin's posterizing dunk on Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins forced Twitter into a near-overload on Monday, causing each of their names to trend worldwide.

But, out of relative obscurity, so did another name: Shawn Kemp.

Kemp, whose 14-season NBA career ended in 2002-03 with Orlando, was known as an aggressive dunker himself.

Legend had it that Kemp once dunked so hard that sparks flew off the rim. He later admitted it to be true, adding that the basket had a metal-chain net, which helped the sparks fly.

Shaw Kemp Top Ten dunks

By the way, KD is a great replacement for the Sonics legacy of heavy hitting dunkers and fast-break shooters, I used to be into Seattle and that is why I followed em all the way to OKC where many folks have now O-K-Cseen the light Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #2851 on: February 04, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »

Haha. Nice. I've been calling the Super Bowl for the NFC at 27-17, so I guess I'll keep that going.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2852 on: February 04, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »

So, everybody got the food ready, or are you going to be the dummy on line at the last minute like I usually am?  Cheesy

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2853 on: February 04, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

or are you going to be the dummy on line at the last minute like I usually am?  Cheesy

Only for beer Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2854 on: February 04, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »

Habte is going with the Giants winning the Super Bowl right?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2855 on: February 04, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

With everyone talking about the Blake Griffin dunk against Perkins last week (really though, even Blake doesn't see what all the fuss is about, it had elevation but realistically looked no better then any of his other highlight reel dunks, I think folks are just trying to rub it in on Perkins who is supposed to be some tuff dude on the court, besides Kevin Durant had an equally impressive coast-to-coast Tomahawk dunk that same game and LeBron the night before literally leap-frogged over a player to get a dunk too )
Actually, it looks from the video as if LeBron leaped around his defender's back and not quite over him. Still a pretty awesome alley-oop dunk.

I found this article which brought up EXACTLY who Blake has been reminding me of..

Shawn "the Rainman" Kemp..

Ahh I remember when this brother was the dunk master of a dunk filled NBA, I am surprised that no body in the sports world or newspapers had brought him up sooner!

By Baxter Holmes LA Times
February 2, 2012, 9:26 p.m.
Blake Griffin's posterizing dunk on Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins forced Twitter into a near-overload on Monday, causing each of their names to trend worldwide.

But, out of relative obscurity, so did another name: Shawn Kemp.

Kemp, whose 14-season NBA career ended in 2002-03 with Orlando, was known as an aggressive dunker himself.

Legend had it that Kemp once dunked so hard that sparks flew off the rim. He later admitted it to be true, adding that the basket had a metal-chain net, which helped the sparks fly.

Shaw Kemp Top Ten dunks

By the way, KD is a great replacement for the Sonics legacy of heavy hitting dunkers and fast-break shooters, I used to be into Seattle and that is why I followed em all the way to OKC where many folks have now O-K-Cseen the light Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2856 on: February 04, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »

Habte is going with the Giants winning the Super Bowl right?

I'm going for the refz yo Wink

They never lose.. well sometimes

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:51:10 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2857 on: February 04, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »

So, everybody got the food ready, or are you going to be the dummy on line at the last minute like I usually am?  Cheesy

My family and I are probably just going to get pizza tomorrow. Smiley
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2858 on: February 05, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »

SuperBowl is a time of fasting.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #2859 on: February 05, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »

Go Giants!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2860 on: February 05, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »

Geaux Giants!

Forgive my sins.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2861 on: February 05, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »

Thank you all for letting the Patriots win today.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2862 on: February 05, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »

I won't cry if the Patriots win, I am a fan of Danny Woodhead.

Forgive my sins.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2863 on: February 05, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »

They did it! Go Giants!! What a crazy game.   Smiley

spcasuncoast.org
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2864 on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »

Haha Achronos!

Forgive my sins.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2865 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:53 PM »

Wes Welker.

I will never forgive you.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2866 on: February 05, 2012, 11:20:42 PM »

I'm going for the refz yo Wink
Refs were great this game. Giants got really lucky.

Oh well I hate the NFC and loathe the Ravens more than I do the Patriots. Steelers have a new OC so we are going to the Super Bowl next season baby.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2867 on: February 05, 2012, 11:48:10 PM »

Giants pulled this one off.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2868 on: February 05, 2012, 11:56:13 PM »

Wes Welker.

Okay, where's your Christian spirit here? Wink
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2869 on: February 06, 2012, 12:01:53 AM »

Wes Welker.

Okay, where's your Christian spirit here? Wink
You know what I mean.

Cry

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2870 on: February 06, 2012, 12:17:31 AM »

It's time now for the Super Bowl within the Super Bowl. What's your favorite of the Super Bowl commercials aired today?

My Top 3 in order:

1.  M&Ms Introduce Ms. Brown (and the M&M male stripper)
2.  The E-Trade baby and speed dating
3.  The Coca Cola polar bear's spectacular catch

Honorable Mentions:
  • Bud Light's "Here We Go!"
  • Doritos and the sling shot baby
  • Matthew Broderick's Day Off (reprising his role as Ferris Bueller)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:18:09 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2871 on: February 06, 2012, 12:20:17 AM »

I liked the one with the dog running in the tennis shoes. Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2872 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:23 AM »

I liked the one with the dog running in the tennis shoes. Wink
Yeah, that one was pretty funny. laugh
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #2873 on: February 06, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »

The Avengers spot kicked butt. You can watch the extended version here.

Profanity replaced with something more acceptable for the public boards  -PtA
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:28:12 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2874 on: February 06, 2012, 12:41:36 AM »

Kinda had a feeling it wasn't the Patriots' day when Brady gave the Giants a safety by intentionally grounding the ball in the endzone on their first offensive play.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:41:56 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2875 on: February 06, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »

That Coca Cola bear commercial was good. The Puppy Bowl and Kitten Halftime Show were hilarious.   Smiley

spcasuncoast.org
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2876 on: February 06, 2012, 12:47:16 AM »

NY Football Giants 21, Pats 20. Win by a last minute touchdown drive as par for the course.

You were very close there!

spcasuncoast.org
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2877 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:29 AM »

I couldn't see the commercials this year cause I had it streaming on NBC's site.

What was this about Battleship?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2878 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:52 AM »

Tebow picks Patriots to win.
We should make an NFL Tebow Rule because of this.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2879 on: February 06, 2012, 01:25:52 AM »

Kinda had a feeling it wasn't the Patriots' day when Brady gave the Giants a safety by intentionally grounding the ball in the endzone on their first offensive play.
Three different receivers dropping relatively easy passes out of four New England plays late in the fourth (including the first two plays of the final drive)...
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: