OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:56:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 387830 times) Average Rating: 5
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2610 on: January 18, 2012, 07:33:22 AM »

Who thinks Andrew Luck could be a Brady Quinn?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2611 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »

It really didn't matter who you guys played at QB in that game. BAMA's defense was dominant that night, as it was all year. Those who understand football can recognize the difference between an inept offense and a defense that renders an offense inept. LSU was unstoppable offensively with both Jefferson and Lee all year, with the exception of two games against the same opponent. As much as LSU fans hate to admit it, BAMA was simply the better team this year. Best to give props where props are due and focus on improving in the future. But if Tiger fans want to spend their time promoting conspiracy theories and playing the "what if" game, then they're only going to hurt themselves. Heck, the way things are going right now down there, they are discouraging potential walk ons from trying out. Wink

Selam

But you shouldn't give up in a game. If option A isnt working, move to option B. I'm not saying we would've necessarily beaten Alabama that day, but I think it would've been a more closely contested game because we'd actually move the ball down field more.

I'd take Lee over Jefferson anyday, he's a much better quarterback and leader. Jefferson may be an amazing athlete, but he certainly isnt a good QB or leader.

It's Les Miles that's discouraging people, everyone (including me) see the person he really is.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2612 on: January 18, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »

Called it from the start, too much hype.

Forgive my sins.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2613 on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »

But you know what's even more of a tragedy is if Peyton stays with the Colts you can bet on Luck sitting on the bench for a long time. I guess it's better than being on the Dolphins whose franchise is pathetic and a disarray at the moment.

What's great about Luck though is he can adjust to practically any receiver. At the college level I think he has alot of talent, how that's going to transition to the pros I have no idea. I hope he succeeds.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2614 on: January 18, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »

Beckham will re-sign with the Los Angeles Galaxy! Praise the Lord!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10779745&ref=rss

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2615 on: January 18, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »

But you know what's even more of a tragedy is if Peyton stays with the Colts you can bet on Luck sitting on the bench for a long time.
Didn't Steve Young endure a similar experience early in his career while he was backing up Joe Montana?
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2616 on: January 19, 2012, 12:05:56 AM »

Alabama fan sexually assaulted a passed out LSU fan on Bourbon St after the BCS game... This ticks me off, those fans need to learn about class. And they need to be locked up in jail for a long time.

http://www.wdsu.com/mostpopular/30224963/detail.html

Forgive my sins.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2617 on: January 19, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »

Beckham will re-sign with the Los Angeles Galaxy! Praise the Lord!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10779745&ref=rss

Yay!   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2618 on: January 19, 2012, 12:36:19 AM »

Alabama fan sexually assaulted a passed out LSU fan on Bourbon St after the BCS game... This ticks me off, those fans need to learn about class. And they need to be locked up in jail for a long time.

This dispicible nonsense is by no means limited to Alabama fans. From reading the story, it sounds like there was plenty of blame to go around on all sides. What ticks me off is the people standing idly by why of all this went on. I imagine there were LSU fans as well as BAMA fans who failed to intervene to stop this assault.

Selam
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:36:58 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2619 on: January 19, 2012, 02:18:06 AM »

This dispicible nonsense is by no means limited to Alabama fans. From reading the story, it sounds like there was plenty of blame to go around on all sides. What ticks me off is the people standing idly by why of all this went on. I imagine there were LSU fans as well as BAMA fans who failed to intervene to stop this assault.

Selam

I never said it was limited to Alabama fans, but idc what team you support and whether or not you won, it is wrong.

Forgive my sins.
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2620 on: January 20, 2012, 01:03:42 AM »

This Saturday, the Patriots shall win.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2621 on: January 20, 2012, 01:38:23 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Y'all better hope so, my Ravens are sure looking hungry Wink

By the way, did y'all see the Heat tonight? Even my Laker fan homiez had to give LeBron his propz, especially on that remarkable block on Bynum's dunk..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2622 on: January 20, 2012, 01:12:12 PM »

Justice!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7482454/alabama-man-seen-crude-post-bcs-video-arrested

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2623 on: January 20, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Where have Packers, Saints and other great offenses gone?
January 20, 2012 LA Times

All sorts of passing records were set in the NFL this season, yet many of the quarterbacks who set them are watching the playoffs from their couches. So how is it that high-flying teams like Green Bay, New Orleans and Detroit failed to reach the conference championship round?

Dilfer reasons that defenses have a larger volume of material to study on an opponent now, so offenses have a harder time disguising what they do with "smoke and mirrors."

"You look at the Saints and you look at the Packers, and you look at some of the really good offensive teams, even the Patriots, they smoke-and-mirror you as good as anybody," Dilfer said. "At this time of the year, you've kind of shown your bag of tricks.

"You've kind of put everything out there on the table, and now you get a defensive staff and smart defensive football players that can break you down during the week,
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/01/where-have-packers-saints-and-other-great-offenses-gone.html

Al Davis was wrong, the NFL has ALWAYS been a defense oriented game, teams can pass and throw all the MaddenNFL 2k12 numbers they'd like, stat sheets don't necessarily get Ws, and the best season-record rarely gets a Superbowl win..

As for the Packers, that was SOOOO predictable.  Now the Saints? They got some impressive defense of their own, so that was a bit more surprising, but then again, the 9ers are a defensive team with a good offense to match to surprising but not not entirely unexpected.

The Patriots are going to fall to the same double edged sword, stat sheets may put TDs on the scoreboard, but defense keeps em low Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2624 on: January 20, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »

teams can pass and throw all the MaddenNFL 2k12 numbers they'd like

Is this game coming our soon?  Grin
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2625 on: January 20, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »

I can beat anyone at Madden 12 with any team, and a Run N' Gun offense and a 4-3 defense.

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2626 on: January 21, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »

Dwight Howard is simply a beast.  He is the LeBron James of centers, a supreme athlete.  The Kobes out there have technical precision and flexibility, which wins games with style, but the LeBrons are athletic beyond belief and simply put out amazing numbers and dominate.  

In the NFL its not all about the stat sheets, but in quick-paced, night after night status of the NBA, stat sheets demonstrate just how impressive a player can be.  LeBron may not have his ring yet, but rings aren't everything, and there isn't a player in the league who doesn't respect his talent and aggressive stance, and Dwight Howard is similarly a basketball machine.

I grew up on Magic Johnson and Michael Jordon, but what these young mid-career vets like Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Stoudemeire, and even some of these straight youngsters like Blake Griffin and Kevin Durrant or James Harden or Derrick Rose..  It is good to see the NBA revive back to its previous magic, the Spurs and Lakers have been dynasty teams in the 2000s, but that is only because there were not as many Dream Team caliber players in the league during this era, but now in the 2010s decade, we are getting back to the mid 1990s status.  Just look at the finalists list for the upcoming 2012 US Olympic basketball team, and it is staggeringly good.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:27:08 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

christian7777
Elder

« Reply #2627 on: January 21, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

By the way, did y'all see the Heat tonight? Even my Laker fan homiez had to give LeBron his propz, especially on that remarkable block on Bynum's dunk..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I'd hate to admit it, but the Ravens have a good chance of beating the Patriots. And yes, LeBron James was great in that game. He might get his first ring this year.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2628 on: January 21, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »

I can beat anyone at Madden 12 with any team, and a Run N' Gun offense and a 4-3 defense.

(writes this down)

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2629 on: January 21, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I'd hate to admit it, but the Ravens have a good chance of beating the Patriots. And yes, LeBron James was great in that game. He might get his first ring this year.

As they say, any given Sunday.  I am very nervous for Baltimore, its truly anyone's game!  As to LeBron, even though rings aren't everything I sure hope he gets his ring so that all the haterz can relax a bit and just enjoy how entertaining that brotha's game is Smiley

I wish Steve Nash could have had his for similar reasons.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2630 on: January 21, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »

I'm so glad James didn't win a ring, I think it really has made him into a much better athlete.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2631 on: January 21, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

As they say, any given Sunday.  I am very nervous for Baltimore, its truly anyone's game!  As to LeBron, even though rings aren't everything I sure hope he gets his ring so that all the haterz can relax a bit and just enjoy how entertaining that brotha's game is Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Interesting article about how Michael Jordan thinks Kobe Bryant the only current player who rates being compared to him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/michael-jordan-thinks-only-kobe-bryant-deserves-comparisons-222702003.html

For all of LeBron's supremely versatile athleticism, the one thing he seems to lack is the ruthlessness and the "GIMME THE BALL!" competitive drive and end-game leadership that Jordan and Bryant both possess. How many times has it been said that James disappeared in big games? Despite his inferior athleticism compared to James, Jordan, and Bryant, this is one thing that made Brandon Roy such a favorite with fans of the Portland Trail Blazers until his abrupt retirement before this season started. Every year of his short career, Roy was one of the league leaders in game winning baskets scored or assisted at the end of either regulation or overtime. His 18 points in the 4th quarter to lead the Blazers to victory over the eventual champion Mavericks in Game 4 of their first round series after falling 23 points behind, and on two knees virtually destroyed by multiple operations, has to be right up there in postseason heroics with Jordan's Flu Game (38 points in Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals while sick with the flu to give his Bulls a 3-2 lead over the Jazz).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:43:59 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2632 on: January 21, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

As they say, any given Sunday.  I am very nervous for Baltimore, its truly anyone's game!  As to LeBron, even though rings aren't everything I sure hope he gets his ring so that all the haterz can relax a bit and just enjoy how entertaining that brotha's game is Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Interesting article about how Michael Jordan thinks Kobe Bryant the only current player who rates being compared to him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/michael-jordan-thinks-only-kobe-bryant-deserves-comparisons-222702003.html

For all of LeBron's supremely versatile athleticism, the one thing he seems to lack is the ruthlessness and the "GIMME THE BALL!" competitive drive and end-game leadership that Jordan and Bryant both possess. How many times has it been said that James disappeared in big games? Despite his inferior athleticism compared to James, Jordan, and Bryant, this is one thing that made Brandon Roy such a favorite with fans of the Portland Trail Blazers until his abrupt retirement before this season started. Every year of his short career, Roy was one of the league leaders in game winning baskets scored or assisted at the end of either regulation or overtime. His 18 points in the 4th quarter to lead the Blazers to victory over the eventual champion Mavericks in Game 4 of their first round series after falling 23 points behind, and on two knees virtually destroyed by multiple operations, has to be right up there in postseason heroics with Jordan's Flu Game (38 points in Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals while sick with the flu to give his Bulls a 3-2 lead over the Jazz).

I can agree with Jordon's opinion but not your analysis of "where is LeBron in the big games" because he still has numbers, just unfortunately one player can't hold up an entire team for every game, Jordon had Pippen and Grant, Kobe had Shaq and then Gasol, so LeBron is just barely getting his chance to become that caliber.  I would say that LeBron gives 110% in EVERY GAME of the season, which is entirely why sometimes he runs out of gas.  For example, in the supposed let downs in the Dallas Miami series, LeBron averaged get this, 45 minutes per game, and even in that fourth quarter where they said he didn't show up, he had 2 rebound, 2 assists, 4 points, and took 8 shots so how did not show up? Further, he had a tripple double in one of those games, and averaged 44.5 minutes in the season, and it was his fourth consecutive post-season appearance.  By the way, where exactly was Kobe in those big games against Boston on 2008, or against Dallas last year, even against Orlando Magic last night? Oh right, sometimes even the best of em have off nights Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2633 on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I can agree with Jordon's opinion but not your analysis of "where is LeBron in the big games" because he still has numbers, just unfortunately one player can't hold up an entire team for every game, Jordon had Pippen and Grant, Kobe had Shaq and then Gasol, so LeBron is just barely getting his chance to become that caliber.
LeBron had Wade and Bosh last year, yet he still had people claiming that he would disappear when they needed him most.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2634 on: January 21, 2012, 11:23:01 PM »

I can agree with Jordon's opinion but not your analysis of "where is LeBron in the big games" because he still has numbers, just unfortunately one player can't hold up an entire team for every game, Jordon had Pippen and Grant, Kobe had Shaq and then Gasol, so LeBron is just barely getting his chance to become that caliber.
LeBron had Wade and Bosh last year, yet he still had people claiming that he would disappear when they needed him most.
[/quote]

But he didn't disappear, he had rebounds, steals, blocks, assists, and points in all the fourth quarters of those play-off series.  A lot of great teams lost to Dallas last play-offs, that is kind of how it works.  In regard to LeBron not showing up, we'll just have to agree to disagree, but this all the more highlights why I feel he needs to get his ring so that folks will give him his credit due. Also, it takes more than one season for a team to gel together and get their chemistry, so it was actually more surprising that they got to the Finals at all realistically, and this season they have really found their rhythm as a team.

James averaged 20.9 points, 5.9 assists, and 5.5 rebounds per game for the season, and was named 2003–04 NBA Rookie of the Year; becoming the first Cavalier and youngest NBA player to ever receive the award. He joined Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan as the only players in NBA history to average at least 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists per game in their rookie season

In 04/05 James became the youngest player in league history to record a triple-double and make the All-NBA Team; next season 05/05
 He became the youngest All-Star MVP

and became the youngest player in NBA history to average at least 30 points. He became the fourth player in NBA history to average more than 30 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists in a single season

In 2007 He joined Robertson and Magic Johnson as the only players in NBA history to average 27 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists per game for three consecutive years.In the Eastern Conference Finals, James led the Cavaliers from an 0–2 deficit against the Detroit Pistons to win the series in six games. His performance in Game 5 was especially memorable. James recorded a franchise-record 48 points on 54.5% field goal shooting, to go with 9 rebounds and 7 assists. In addition, James scored 29 of Cleveland's last 30 points, including the team's final 25 points in a double-overtime victory. He concluded the night with a game-winning lay-up with 2 seconds left  

He is the third youngest player to post 15 triple-doubles, behind Robertson and Magic Johnson.On March 5, 2008, James scored 50 points with 8 rebounds and 10 assists on the New York Knicks, becoming only the third player since the ABA-NBA merger to record a 50-point 10-assist gam

That is a lot of showing up and the brother's athleticism can not be denied.  That is why again, rings aren't everything, but they don't hurt either Wink

By the way, Kobe spent his rookie year on the bench and then got blessed to develop his superior talent on a championship level team whose roster was the envy of any other team for years, Jordon is some kind of mythical basketball force of nature of his own, and LeBron single handedly turned around a laughing stock team into an East coast threat in two seasons no less! If anything, my one criticism of him is that maybe he just needed to slow down, maybe he went out the gate running a little to fast, and that is why he couldn't keep it up both being the only carrying his team on his shoulders and playing way to hard, way to fast, and not letting time readjust.  If anything, this last season and the current one is the first time LeBron finally slowed down a bit, experimented with new styles, and is developing instead of just using his current skills to dominate.  That impresses me all the more..

No disrespect to Kobe or Jordon, but I really don't see why more folks aren't feeling LeBron as well?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:47:19 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2635 on: January 21, 2012, 11:47:14 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stay blessed,
habte selassie

But he didn't disappear, he had rebounds, steals, blocks, assists, and points in all the fourth quarters of those play-off series.  A lot of great teams lost to Dallas last play-offs, that is kind of how it works.  In regard to LeBron not showing up, we'll just have to agree to disagree, but this all the more highlights why I feel he needs to get his ring so that folks will give him his credit due.

James averaged 20.9 points, 5.9 assists, and 5.5 rebounds per game for the season, and was named 2003–04 NBA Rookie of the Year; becoming the first Cavalier and youngest NBA player to ever receive the award. He joined Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan as the only players in NBA history to average at least 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists per game in their rookie season

In 04/05 James became the youngest player in league history to record a triple-double and make the All-NBA Team; next season 05/05
 He became the youngest All-Star MVP

and became the youngest player in NBA history to average at least 30 points. He became the fourth player in NBA history to average more than 30 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists in a single season

In 2007 He joined Robertson as the only players in NBA history to average 27 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists per game for three consecutive years.In the Eastern Conference Finals, James led the Cavaliers from an 0–2 deficit against the Detroit Pistons to win the series in six games. His performance in Game 5 was especially memorable. James recorded a franchise-record 48 points on 54.5% field goal shooting, to go with 9 rebounds and 7 assists. In addition, James scored 29 of Cleveland's last 30 points, including the team's final 25 points in a double-overtime victory. He concluded the night with a game-winning lay-up with 2 seconds left  

He is the third youngest player to post 15 triple-doubles, behind Robertson and Magic Johnson.On March 5, 2008, James scored 50 points with 8 rebounds and 10 assists on the New York Knicks, becoming only the third player since the ABA-NBA merger to record a 50-point 10-assist gam

That is a lot of showing up and the brother's athleticism can not be denied.  That is why again, rings aren't everything, but they don't hurt either Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
But season averages cover an 82-game regular season. They don't show what he does in the most important two or three games of the year. A superior athlete LeBron James is, and that cannot be denied. A ruthless competitor, one on the order of Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kobe, and even his own teammate Dwyane Wade, who will drive a dagger into the opponent's heart without a second thought to win a crucial game? So far, LeBron hasn't shown himself that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:48:51 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2636 on: January 21, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »

But season averages cover an 82-game regular season. They don't show what he does in the most important two or three games of the year. A superior athlete LeBron James is, and that cannot be denied. A ruthless competitor on the order of Jordan, Bird, Magic, and Kobe who will drive a dagger into the opponent's heart to win a crucial game? So far, LeBron hasn't shown himself that.

There are a lot of opponents over the past few seasons in the play-offs who would beg to differ, like the Bulls, and the Celtics, and the Sixers Wink

By the way, you might be romanticizing Kobe a bit because we here in Los Angeles can count as many times that he has let us down as he has won rings. Jordon I agree was CONSISTENT and simply COULDN'T LOSE however where was Kobe in 2008 Finals, or last season against Dallas, or again, last night against Orlando?  You win some, you lose some, LeBron has won some and lost some like everybody else.  Let him get his chance with a good team like the early 2000s Lakers and y'all see soon enough.  These things take time, Kobe didn't get his ring for what, 4 years? Jordon what, 5?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2637 on: January 22, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »

But season averages cover an 82-game regular season. They don't show what he does in the most important two or three games of the year. A superior athlete LeBron James is, and that cannot be denied. A ruthless competitor on the order of Jordan, Bird, Magic, and Kobe who will drive a dagger into the opponent's heart to win a crucial game? So far, LeBron hasn't shown himself that.

There are a lot of opponents over the past few seasons in the play-offs who would beg to differ, like the Bulls, and the Celtics, and the Sixers Wink
"A ruthless SOB" is not an apt description of LeBron James, and that's the point of my arguments.

By the way, you might be romanticizing Kobe a bit because we here in Los Angeles can count as many times that he has let us down as he has won rings. Jordon I agree was CONSISTENT and simply COULDN'T LOSE however where was Kobe in 2008 Finals, or last season against Dallas, or again, last night against Orlando?
I hate to bust your bubble, bub, but even Jordan had his clunkers in the playoffs. However, no one will deny that Michael Jordan was a ruthless son of a b**** (sometimes even to his own teammates) who would do anything to win a game. If such a competitor as Jordan recognizes some semblance of that competitive fire in Kobe but not in LeBron, then I'm inclined to agree with him.

You win some, you lose some, LeBron has won some and lost some like everybody else.  Let him get his chance with a good team like the early 2000s Lakers and y'all see soon enough.  These things take time, Kobe didn't get his ring for what, 4 years? Jordon what, 5?
I don't doubt that LeBron will eventually win that ring he covets so much. Even as a No. 2 option in the clutch, he will outshine virtually every No. 1, but he has shown that he needs someone else to take the mental load of being the No. 1 leader on his team. He may be the most gifted athlete the NBA has ever seen, one capable of doing amazing things at any time in any game, but he's made it readily apparent that he is not yet comfortable being the go to guy every time his team needs one.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:06:04 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2638 on: January 22, 2012, 12:13:58 AM »

f such a competitor as Jordan recognizes some semblance of that competitive fire in Kobe but not in LeBron, then I'm inclined to agree with him.

This my brother, was never debated, because I agreed with you and Jordon completely on that. Smiley

What I was debating with you was your claim that LeBron doesn't show up in big games, because his career testifies differently.   LeBron has his let down moments, of course! But he has had well enough great moments to be worthy of the acclaim he receives.

Jordon is Jordon.

Kobe is Kobe.

LeBron is Lebron, and they are all clearly in the caliber of player, while not necessarily all d**ks on the court, because by the way, you're right, LeBron isn't, and that is actually always why I've liked him, he is a likable guy, which is also why I like Kevin Durrant and Lamar Odom, however Westbrook really needs an attitude adjustment as of lately.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2639 on: January 22, 2012, 12:31:09 AM »

f such a competitor as Jordan recognizes some semblance of that competitive fire in Kobe but not in LeBron, then I'm inclined to agree with him.

This my brother, was never debated, because I agreed with you and Jordon completely on that. Smiley

What I was debating with you was your claim that LeBron doesn't show up in big games, because his career testifies differently.
I never said LeBron doesn't show up in big games. I said that he often disappears in big games. I acknowledge that he has often shown up and blown opponents away in crucial games, but he has almost just as often seemed to run away and hide in other crucial games throughout his career.

LeBron has his let down moments, of course! But he has had well enough great moments to be worthy of the acclaim he receives.
No doubt! So why are we arguing? Huh

Jordon is Jordon.

Kobe is Kobe.

LeBron is Lebron, and they are all clearly in the caliber of player, while not necessarily all d**ks on the court, because by the way, you're right, LeBron isn't, and that is actually always why I've liked him, he is a likable guy, which is also why I like Kevin Durrant and Lamar Odom, however Westbrook really needs an attitude adjustment as of lately.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

And I have to admit that Jordan's selfishness is one of the reasons, if not the main reason, I just can't bring myself to think him the best player ever--OH, THE BLASPHEMY! Shocked Other great NBA athletes had the same ruthless competitive fire yet were loved by their teammates for the fact that they recognized their places within their teams and were willing to adapt to teammates. Early in his career, Jordan was a selfish ball hog who wouldn't trust his teammates and would often tear into them when they didn't play up to his standards. The fact that he eventually did adapt even a little bit to his team's system is in itself a great testament to the mastery of human psychology demonstrated by his HOF coach Phil Jackson, but that's a subject for a totally unrelated discussion.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:33:10 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2640 on: January 22, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »

What I was debating with you was your claim that LeBron doesn't show up in big games, because his career testifies differently.
I never said LeBron doesn't show up in big games. I said that he often disappears in big games. I acknowledge that he has often shown up and blown opponents away in crucial games, but he has almost just as often seemed to run away and hide in other crucial games throughout his career.

LeBron has his let down moments, of course! But he has had well enough great moments to be worthy of the acclaim he receives.
No doubt! So why are we arguing? Huh

Jordon is Jordon.

Kobe is Kobe.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

And I have to admit that Jordan's selfishness is one of the reasons, if not the main reason, I just can't bring myself to think him the best player ever--OH, THE BLASPHEMY! Shocked Other great NBA athletes had the same ruthless competitive fire yet were loved by their teammates for the fact that they recognized their places within their teams and were willing to adapt to teammates. Early in his career, Jordan was a selfish ball hog who wouldn't trust his teammates and would often tear into them when they didn't play up to his standards. The fact that he eventually did adapt even a little bit to his team's system is in itself a great testament to the mastery of human psychology demonstrated by his HOF coach Phil Jackson, but that's a subject for a totally unrelated discussion.

A) I didn't think of this as an argument so much as a discussion like what goes down at the water cooler or the bus stop, one of which we have revealed how much we actually agree on Smiley

B) You're right, Jordon isn't the greatest player of the history of the game, in my opinion, when you factor in positive vibes and collaboration with magical talent and clutch come-through-moments the all-time best player should go to Magic Johnson

C)
human psychology demonstrated by his HOF coach Phil Jackson,
AMEN
stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:38:28 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

christian7777
Elder

« Reply #2641 on: January 22, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »

I'm glad that there are other people who agree with me that Michael Jordan isn't the greatest player ever. His success had a lot to do with assistance from Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, and Horace Grant. Furthermore, he didn't make it to the NBA Finals until his seventh season. I'm not saying that he isn't one of the greatest players in NBA history, but it annoys when people think that Michael Jordan is untouchable and that there is no argument against him being the best.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:59:01 AM by christian7777 » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2642 on: January 22, 2012, 01:03:23 AM »

And Phil Jackson

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2643 on: January 22, 2012, 01:24:48 AM »

B) You're right, Jordon isn't the greatest player of the history of the game, in my opinion, when you factor in positive vibes and collaboration with magical talent and clutch come-through-moments the all-time best player should go to Magic Johnson
You won't get any disagreement with me on that. Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2644 on: January 22, 2012, 01:58:18 AM »

I'm glad that there are other people who agree with me that Michael Jordan isn't the greatest player ever. His success had a lot to do with assistance from Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, and Horace Grant. Furthermore, he didn't make it to the NBA Finals until his seventh season. I'm not saying that he isn't one of the greatest players in NBA history, but it annoys when people think that Michael Jordan is untouchable and that there is no argument against him being the best.
The best ever at his position of shooting guard? I suppose one could make a case for that.

My short list for all time starting team:
PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Larry Bird (only because LeBron hasn't been in the league long enough)
PF: Tim Duncan (though I often put Bill Russell here, even though he played center, because, at 6'9", he was too short for the position by today's standards)
C:   Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (though one can't discount how radically Wilt Chamberlain revolutionized the game of basketball)

Best ever, regardless of position: Magic Johnson
Second best: probably Oscar Robertson, who didn't make my starting five simply because he played the same position as Magic Johnson. Who can argue with a player who averaged a triple-double through his first five years in the league? Shocked
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:05:53 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2645 on: January 22, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »

Amazing list Peter, agreed on all points.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2646 on: January 22, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »

The best ever at his position of shooting guard? I suppose one could make a case for that.

PF: Tim Duncan (though I often put Bill Russell here, even though he played center, because, at 6'9", he was too short for the position by today's standards)
C:   Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (though one can't discount how radically Wilt Chamberlain revolutionized the game of basketball)

Second best: probably Oscar Robertson, who didn't make my starting five simply because he played the same position as Magic Johnson. Who can argue with a player who averaged a triple-double through his first five years in the league? Shocked
You forgot Spud Webb.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2647 on: January 22, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »

Winners today: Patriots and Forty-Niners

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2648 on: January 22, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »

GO BIG BLUE!!!!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2649 on: January 22, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »

You forgot Spud Webb.
How does Spud Webb count among the greatest of all time? He may have been the shortest player ever to win an NBA slam dunk contest, but that doesn't qualify him even for the long list of best players ever.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:33:29 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2650 on: January 22, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »

This article sums up my own feelings on this incident quite well:
http://capstonereport.com/2012/01/19/tea-bagging-incident-a-snapshot-of-all-thats-wrong-in-sports/15419/

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2651 on: January 22, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »

I don't know why I'm even wasting my time here trying to respond to the idiocy of anyone who states that Michael Lordan isn't the best player of all time. But I'll do so anyway, just because some things are too stupid to go unchallenged.

If you want to argue with these facts, then good luck:

1. He won 6 NBA Titles
2. Jordan had no weaknesses in his game.
3. He had a great Jump shot.
4. He could use either hand, able to go to his left as well as his right.
5. He was a great ball handler.
6. He was a great rebounder.
7. Best driving ability ever.
8. Excellent defender (he led the league in steals more than once, and was named defensive player of the year. He was also a great shot blocker.)
9. He made his teammates better (just ask anyone who played with him.)
4. He possessed a wonderful basketball IQ.
5. He had an unparralleled work ethic.
6. His competitive streak was next to none.

You can cite Oscar Robertson's stats all day long (and they were quite amazing), but if you and I had the same 4 players going against each other, I'd gladly take Jordan in his prime over Oscar in his prime to add to my four any day of the week.

As for Magic, he's one of the top five of all time in my book. But he had weaknesses in his game. He wasn't a great defender, and he didn't have a great jump shot.

Jordan was the best that there's ever been, and I think the best that there will ever be. Like I said, there was not a weakness in his game whatsoever. He possessed the perfect combination of raw athleticism, fundamental precision, and all the intangibles. And BTW, the idea that he was a selfish player is absurd. You don't win 6 NBA titles by being selfish. Very early in his career he may have been a bit of a ball hog, but that's only because he had to be. He had no one around him then. But he matured quickly and placed complete trust in role players like John Paxon, Steve Kerr, and B.J. Armstrong- guys who would have been nothing without Jordan.

Anyway, I just had to set the record straight.  Wink

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2652 on: January 22, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »

I freaking love you Gebre. AMEN.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2653 on: January 22, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

I wouldn't want to be the field goal kicker for the Ravens right now. Tongue
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2654 on: January 22, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »

Jordan ain't just a river in Egypt. Roll Eyes

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: