OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:41:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 388401 times) Average Rating: 5
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #2565 on: January 15, 2012, 09:22:10 PM »

So much for the perfect home record. Roll Eyes Has a 15-1 team ever failed to win a playoff game before?

At least since the AFL-NFL merger, no one loss team has failed to win a playoff game
Well, I guess that makes this year's Packers the charter member of that ignominious club. Vince Lombardi must be rolling in his grave right now.
also, going back in history more(im bored, so why not)

The Los Angeles Rams in 1967 lost the first playoff game, with only having one loss. However, they also had two ties
Baltimore Colts had the same record, and were the only one loss team (with two ties) to be excluded from the playoffs

However, these ties were not ofically counted in the standings. Ties were not counted until 1972

And, in 1953 the Cleveland Browns, at 11-1, lost the NFL Championship game to the Detroit Lions. In the 1953 NFL, the only playoff game was the NFL Championship.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2566 on: January 15, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:33:33 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2567 on: January 15, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »

Hey Gbre, wouldn't you say that the BCS is terrible?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2568 on: January 15, 2012, 09:54:08 PM »

From here on out Daniel is not allowed to pick an NFL team because he jinxes them. True story.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2569 on: January 15, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »

If you think Alabama v. LSU in the National Championship wasn't about competition, then you obviously don't understand football. (No disrespect.)

Selam

Yes, Gebre, I'm well familiar with your love of Alabama football, and their stupid "Roll Tide, Roll" motto. I've already accepted the idea that if it ain't Alabama football, then it isn't football to you.

I went to this year's Clemson vs. USC game and had a great time. My boyfriend is from South Carolina, just outside of Columbia. Also, I lived in Atlanta for two years and saw first hand how big SEC football is down there. And that's great. I'm glad you enjoy it.

However, I'm in the North East, where college football doesn't mean squat to us here in Jersey.

You wanna love your college football, find. but you don't have to come and rain on the parade of those of us who actually enjoy Pro-football.

Now you didn't have to go and call our "Roll Tide" slogan stupid. That was not nice.Sad But I admit that my comments were probably offensive to those of you who love pro football. However, this is the sports thread, and I felt the need to get that off of my chest. I'll never understand how hard working people can pay their hard earned money and become so emotionally invested in a bunch of overpaid individuals who are essentially playing for nothing more than themselves. But I don't fault the players, because they are merely adhering to the product that was created by the masses who are willing to finance such a lackluster product. But I apologize if I offended you. We all have our own tastes, and as Habte said, each to his own. I do confess that I'm a college football snob. Embarrassed

Selam
it is not Charitable for one to assume the inner motives of why one is playing.

You're right. I shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water like that. There are a lot of dedicated and passionate football players in the NFL who truly do care about their city and their team, but I think they are in the minority.

Sealm

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2570 on: January 15, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »

I'm not a BCS fan, and I'd actually prefer to go back to the way things were before. But I think that the BCS has actually determined who the best team is at the end of the year more often than not, in fact probably about 99% of the time

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2571 on: January 16, 2012, 01:16:44 AM »

From here on out Daniel is not allowed to pick an NFL team because he jinxes them. True story.

Yeah... american football season is over for me...

Forgive my sins.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2572 on: January 16, 2012, 01:21:08 AM »

Yeah... american football season is over for me...
LOL. I'm sorry man.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2573 on: January 16, 2012, 02:07:14 AM »

I'm not a BCS fan, and I'd actually prefer to go back to the way things were before. But I think that the BCS has actually determined who the best team is at the end of the year more often than not, in fact probably about 99% of the time

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2574 on: January 16, 2012, 02:39:54 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Okay...now I don't have the Texans either...  Cry

Hang your hat high this season, Houston advanced to the play-offs for the first time in franchise history on a second string rookie QB at that? Come on bro, that is an accomplishment, what did you expect? The rookie to run through that sick Raven's defense? If anything, I am ridiculously impressed with Texans performance today, not only did they not get blown out, they held Baltimore scoreless for two and a half quarters, that is some impressive defense yo..

Ideal scenarios this weekend:
1. Both people watching Ravens-Texans have a blast
2. Giants beat the Packers in a nailbiter
3. Patriots stomp the Broncos, but Tebow has a good game, and Bill Maher spontaneously combusts at the end of it.

Texans 17 - 14 Ravens

Saints 38 - 28 49ers

PS.. what happened there? Wink

I called it at Thanksgiving and the miraculous pieces just keep falling together..

Ravens-49ers, its a Harbaugh brothers Superbowl this year..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:42:50 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2575 on: January 16, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »

I hate to bring race into this, but why does every black person I talk with say the same damn thing.

Giants and Pats would make my dreams come true.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2576 on: January 16, 2012, 02:47:14 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I hate to bring race into this, but why does every black person I talk with say the same damn thing.

Giants and Pats would make my dreams come true.

Aren't you in for two surprises Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2577 on: January 16, 2012, 03:52:29 AM »

I hate to bring race into this,
Then why did you?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2578 on: January 16, 2012, 01:30:59 PM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

If we go to a playoff system, the law of unintended consequences will inevitably leave people just as frustrated as before . For example, what if Baylor or Stanford made it to the playoffs, but RG3 or Andrew Luck got injured in the first game? So then they lose in the next round and are eliminated, even though they may have won 13 games and been undefeated up to that time. They may have clearly been the best team all year long, but they didn't win the National Title because of attrition in the playoffs.

13 games is enough to determine who is the best team in college football. Over the course of a 12-13 game season, injuries will occur, and depth and conditioning are part of what determines who will prevail at the end. However, I think adding more games is not healhty for the college game.

I will say that one idea that I could get on board with is a plus one system when needed. In other words, on those years where there are only two undefeated teams left at the end of the year, then no plus one is necessary. But on those years like this one when there are multiple one loss teams, then implement the plus one. I think that would work well, and it wouldn't corrupt the sport as we know it.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2579 on: January 16, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »

I would like to offer my sincere apology to anyone that offended with my derogatory comments about professional football. I realize that many people love their professional teams just as much as I love my Alabama Crimson Tide. It was insensitive of me to disparage a certain sport simply because I have different tastes. I know that it sounded arrogant and condescending. Please forgive me.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2580 on: January 16, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

If we go to a playoff system, the law of unintended consequences will inevitably leave people just as frustrated as before . For example, what if Baylor or Stanford made it to the playoffs, but RG3 or Andrew Luck got injured in the first game? So then they lose in the next round and are eliminated, even though they may have won 13 games and been undefeated up to that time. They may have clearly been the best team all year long, but they didn't win the National Title because of attrition in the playoffs.
But Andrew Luck could also have been injured in his regular season finale and been unable to play in the postseason, leaving his team unable to win their bowl game. Injuries are a part of the game, and teams need to be able to either avoid injuries or win in spite of them. If they can't do that in the playoffs, then they don't deserve to be called the best team in the nation.

13 games is enough to determine who is the best team in college football. Over the course of a 12-13 game season, injuries will occur, and depth and conditioning are part of what determines who will prevail at the end. However, I think adding more games is not healhty for the college game.
You do realize that all other NCAA divisions have a football playoff tournament? You do realize that NCAA Division I has a 7-round basketball tournament and a 6-round baseball tournament? Evidently, playoffs are considered healthy for their games. Why not for the highest level of NCAA football?

I will say that one idea that I could get on board with is a plus one system when needed. In other words, on those years where there are only two undefeated teams left at the end of the year, then no plus one is necessary. But on those years like this one when there are multiple one loss teams, then implement the plus one. I think that would work well, and it wouldn't corrupt the sport as we know it.
The sport of college football as we know it is corrupt (at least at its highest level). It's been corrupted by greedy bowl game committees and hypocritical athletic directors.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:30:21 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2581 on: January 16, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »

I hate to bring race into this,

Ever notice that whenever people begin a statement with the above that they then follow-up with a racial statement? Yet they think that by preceding it with "I hate to bring race into this..." somehow makes it not offensive.

It's like when people say "No offense, but...." then they say something offensive. Or "I don't mean to intrude, but..."

As soon as you insert "but" into a sentence, it negates whatever you said before the "but."

For the record, I've heard plenty of people who are NOT black predict a Harbaugh Bowl this year. I honestly don't know what the color of a person's skin has to do with Superbowl predictions, but, whatever.

As a Giants fan, I'm hoping for a Giants/Patriots re-match.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2582 on: January 16, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2583 on: January 16, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

Selam

Why cant we do a play-off? FCS, Div 2, and Div 3 all do play offs. Schools like Boise State never stand a chance of going to the Natl Championship, no matter how good they are in the current BS...I mean BCS system.

Forgive my sins.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #2584 on: January 16, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »

If it's any consolation, I'm white as hell and that's how I called it in my bracket.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2585 on: January 16, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

Selam

Why cant we do a play-off? FCS, Div 2, and Div 3 all do play offs. Schools like Boise State never stand a chance of going to the Natl Championship, no matter how good they are in the current BS...I mean BCS system.

They can do anything they want. They can start paying players and develop a playoff system, and they can even remove academics from the equation so that the college players can devote full time to football. I bet that would be REALLY exciting! Oh boy! They can make college football just like the pros if they want. Wouldn't that be neato! But I'm 43 years old and I've never been bored a single college football season in my entire life. To me, it's the most exciting sport there is. But I'm probably too stupid to know any better. I mean, if I really understood athletic entertainment, I guess I'd be watching professional wrastlin'.

The Boise States have their opportunity to prove themselves. Do you think Alabama came to power overnight? What most people today don't understand is that success takes work, patience, time, effort, discipline, sacrifice, etc. If you want a National Championship, do what it takes to make it happen. Put in the work. Develop a passion to make it happen. Don't sit around in a weak conference and complain about things not being fair. Oregon played for a National Championship last year. Who would have thought ten years ago that that could happen?

Too many people want entertainment, excitement, something to satisfy them in the moment. But I love college football because it takes a lot of hard work and character to build a winning program and sustain enduring success. I respect the sweat, discipline, effort, and intergrity that goes into forging a championship program. Most people don't. They just want to see a bunch of great athletes flying all over the field and scoring a bunch of points. I say if you want entertainment, go to the circus. But if you are excited and moved by teamwork, character, and the "process" that it takes to be a real winner (not just a flash in the pan), then college football is as good as it gets.

But no doubt that fallen human nature craves change for the sake of change, and I'm afraid that some silly playoff system is inevitable. In fact, change for the sake of change is why Obama's in the White House. Of course, many people think that's absolutely fantastic too. But I ain't one of them.  Wink

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2586 on: January 16, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

Selam

They can do anything they want. They can start paying players and develop a playoff system, and they can even remove academics from the equation so that the college players can devote full time to football. I bet that would be REALLY exciting! Oh boy! They can make college football just like the pros if they want. Wouldn't that be neato! But I'm 43 years old and I've never been bored a single college football season in my entire life. To me, it's the most exciting sport there is. But I'm probably too stupid to know any better. I mean, if I really understood athletic entertainment, I guess I'd be watching professional wrastlin'.

The Boise States have their opportunity to prove themselves. Do you think Alabama came to power overnight? What most people today don't understand is that success takes work, patience, time, effort, discipline, sacrifice, etc. If you want a National Championship, do what it takes to make it happen. Put in the work. Develop a passion to make it happen. Don't sit around in a weak conference and complain about things not being fair. Oregon played for a National Championship last year. Who would have thought ten years ago that that could happen?

Too many people want entertainment, excitement, something to satisfy them in the moment. But I love college football because it takes a lot of hard work and character to build a winning program and sustain enduring success. I respect the sweat, discipline, effort, and intergrity that goes into forging a championship program. Most people don't. They just want to see a bunch of great athletes flying all over the field and scoring a bunch of points. I say if you want entertainment, go to the circus. But if you are excited and moved by teamwork, character, and the "process" that it takes to be a real winner (not just a flash in the pan), then college football is as good as it gets.

But no doubt that fallen human nature craves change for the sake of change, and I'm afraid that some silly playoff system is inevitable. In fact, change for the sake of change is why Obama's in the White House. Of course, many people think that's absolutely fantastic too. But I ain't one of them.  Wink

Selam

Honestly, if folks would put as much effort into reform of the staggeringly rising costs of higher education as you've put in dissecting college sports perhaps I might be able to afford to go back to grad school like I've been needing to for three years  Undecided

Again, y'all realize they have classes at college right?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2587 on: January 16, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

Selam

Selam

Again, y'all realize they have classes at college right?

Yes bredren. That's kind of my point!  Smiley

Selam

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2588 on: January 16, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

Selam

But no doubt that fallen human nature craves change for the sake of change, and I'm afraid that some silly playoff system is inevitable. In fact, change for the sake of change is why Obama's in the White House. Of course, many people think that's absolutely fantastic too. But I ain't one of them.  Wink

Selam

No, it's about doing what makes sense. Division 1-A football is the only football that DOESN'T have play-offs, that's silly.

Boise State has been good longer than Alabama in the new millennium, so why dont they deserve a shot? Rather than big school bias?

Boise tries to schedule as many big schools as they can every year, but those schools have no reason to play them. They can't join the Pac-12 due to academic reasons. So what are they to do? They just joined the Big East and that's the biggest conference that'll take them. Boise is screwed because the BCS piece of crap system is keeping the big teams big time and the small ones small time.

The BCS is a money making scam and anyone that supports it is a misled sheep in my opinion. The BCS is all about the $$$.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:08:55 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2589 on: January 16, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »

I'm watching the Pirates right now. Yay!

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2590 on: January 17, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

Selam

They can do anything they want. They can start paying players and develop a playoff system, and they can even remove academics from the equation so that the college players can devote full time to football.
As CelticFan noted, all the other divisions of college football have postseason playoffs, yet you never hear complaints about how football interferes with academics in those schools. This beef about postseason football interfering with academics is a big, stinking, hypocritical pile of BS if you ask me. The real reason NCAA FBS athletic directors support the status quo is the money they can make from the bowl games.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:39:48 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2591 on: January 17, 2012, 02:08:02 AM »

Selam

Play-offs, Play-offs

Selam

But no doubt that fallen human nature craves change for the sake of change, and I'm afraid that some silly playoff system is inevitable. In fact, change for the sake of change is why Obama's in the White House. Of course, many people think that's absolutely fantastic too. But I ain't one of them.  Wink

Selam

No, it's about doing what makes sense. Division 1-A football is the only football that DOESN'T have play-offs, that's silly.

Boise State has been good longer than Alabama in the new millennium, so why dont they deserve a shot? Rather than big school bias?

Boise tries to schedule as many big schools as they can every year, but those schools have no reason to play them. They can't join the Pac-12 due to academic reasons. So what are they to do? They just joined the Big East and that's the biggest conference that'll take them. Boise is screwed because the BCS piece of crap system is keeping the big teams big time and the small ones small time.

The BCS is a money making scam and anyone that supports it is a misled sheep in my opinion. The BCS is all about the $$$.
The problem with Boise State, AISI, is this: They can't put together the kind of schedule that makes a perfect or one-loss record look good enough to qualify them for the biggest games. They play in a terrible conference that they have little way of escaping, and the best non-conference teams don't want to play them because of the hit they'll take to their schedules' strength of schedule. No matter how good Boise State is, they just can't escape playing a schedule of pansies that makes them look untested.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #2592 on: January 17, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »

I am personally in favour of having a hybrid system

Have a sixteen team playoff(or whatever number you wish), and have the playoff games be the rose, orange, etc bowl.

FOr the team that did NOT make the playoffs, then they will be placed in postseason bowlgames like they are now.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2593 on: January 17, 2012, 11:34:55 AM »

I am personally in favour of having a hybrid system

Have a sixteen team playoff(or whatever number you wish), and have the playoff games be the rose, orange, etc bowl.

FOr the team that did NOT make the playoffs, then they will be placed in postseason bowlgames like they are now.

Agreed

Forgive my sins.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2594 on: January 17, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

Too many people want entertainment, excitement, something to satisfy them in the moment. But I love college football because it takes a lot of hard work and character to build a winning program and sustain enduring success. I respect the sweat, discipline, effort, and integrity that goes into forging a championship program. Most people don't. They just want to see a bunch of great athletes flying all over the field and scoring a bunch of points. I say if you want entertainment, go to the circus. But if you are excited and moved by teamwork, character, and the "process" that it takes to be a real winner (not just a flash in the pan), then college football pro football is as good as it gets.

If you think Pro-football doesn't have any of these elements, I suggest you talk to the members of the Detroit Lions, the San Francisco 49'ers, or just about any other pro-football team. While the NFL does have the advantage of selecting the best of the best in the NFL draft, it's not just about drafting good talent; it's also molding it, shaping it, and sustaining it into a winning combination.

You make College football sound like it's this pure sport that is just about hard work and discipline with no drafting or incentive programs.

You are quite naive if you believe that my friend.

College football is no more "innocent" in their drafting procedures than the NFL is. There have been plenty of stories of Sports Agents through the years taking High School Seniors on yachts and drinking binges to get them to sign with a college.

Once there, their homework is done for them, they are given cheat sheets for tests, they pass all of their classes with little work, they pay little to no tuition, and then they get signed by a pro-sports team where they make millions. Even if they don't go pro, they get a college degree, which gives them a head start in the work force to make more money than the rest of the world.

The way you look down your nose at pro sports is ridiculous considering that the NCAA is just as bad as any pro organization. The only difference is that rather than receive large paychecks in college, their payment is received in the form of a free ride through college.

You think it's any coincidence that it's always the same teams that year after year go to the Bowl games?

College sports is big money. Universities recognize this, so they pour lots of money into their programs to recruit the best talent. Students that would otherwise not stand a chance of getting into a good college are accepted into these universities on their athletic talent alone.

I am not saying all athletes are idiots. There are many out there that are quite brilliant, and could get in based on their academics alone.

However we also know there are plenty out there that are on a scholarship (funny how the word SCHOLAR is in the word), but are there on their athletic abilities.

Yet with all the money that college sports bring in, as Habte Seleste pointed out, the price of higher education keeps on rising.

No, your precious college sports are no better than pro sports. It's just pro sports are intellectually honest about what and who they are, whereas the NCAA has you and the public fooled that it's something else.

And please, spare me from signing your posts with "selam" when you've spent an entire post looking down on another organization.

It cheapens the expression.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2595 on: January 17, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »

You make College football sound like it's this pure sport that is just about hard work and discipline with no drafting or incentive programs.

College football is no more "innocent" in their drafting procedures than the NFL is. There have been plenty of stories of Sports Agents through the years taking High School Seniors on yachts and drinking binges to get them to sign with a college
Completely, true. I've personal experience in this.
I am not saying all athletes are idiots. There are many out there that are quite brilliant, and could get in based on their academics alone.

However we also know there are plenty out there that are on a scholarship (funny how the word SCHOLAR is in the word), but are there on their athletic abilities
I cant remember who, I think JR Ryder, who studied women's studies as his major or something?

your precious college sports are no better than pro sports. It's just pro sports are intellectually honest about what and who they are, whereas the NCAA has you and the public fooled that it's something else

Esecially since there is no player's union in college sports and they can run you like a dog Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2596 on: January 17, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »

Too many people want entertainment, excitement, something to satisfy them in the moment. But I love college football because it takes a lot of hard work and character to build a winning program and sustain enduring success. I respect the sweat, discipline, effort, and integrity that goes into forging a championship program. Most people don't. They just want to see a bunch of great athletes flying all over the field and scoring a bunch of points. I say if you want entertainment, go to the circus. But if you are excited and moved by teamwork, character, and the "process" that it takes to be a real winner (not just a flash in the pan), then college football pro football is as good as it gets.

If you think Pro-football doesn't have any of these elements, I suggest you talk to the members of the Detroit Lions, the San Francisco 49'ers, or just about any other pro-football team. While the NFL does have the advantage of selecting the best of the best in the NFL draft, it's not just about drafting good talent; it's also molding it, shaping it, and sustaining it into a winning combination.

College football is no more "innocent" in their drafting procedures than the NFL is. There have been plenty of stories of Sports Agents through the years taking High School Seniors on yachts and drinking binges to get them to sign with a college.

Once there, their homework is done for them, they are given cheat sheets for tests, they pass all of their classes with little work, they pay little to no tuition, and then they get signed by a pro-sports team where they make millions. Even if they don't go pro, they get a college degree, which gives them a head start in the work force to make more money than the rest of the world.

The way you look down your nose at pro sports is ridiculous considering that the NCAA is just as bad as any pro organization. The only difference is that rather than receive large paychecks in college, their payment is received in the form of a free ride through college.

You think it's any coincidence that it's always the same teams that year after year go to the Bowl games?

College sports is big money. Universities recognize this, so they pour lots of money into their programs to recruit the best talent. Students that would otherwise not stand a chance of getting into a good college are accepted into these universities on their athletic talent alone.

However we also know there are plenty out there that are on a scholarship (funny how the word SCHOLAR is in the word), but are there on their athletic abilities.

Yet with all the money that college sports bring in, as Habte Seleste pointed out, the price of higher education keeps on rising.

No, your precious college sports are no better than pro sports. It's just pro sports are intellectually honest about what and who they are, whereas the NCAA has you and the public fooled that it's something else.

And please, spare me from signing your posts with "selam" when you've spent an entire post looking down on another organization.

It cheapens the expression.

I apologized earlier for my condescending remarks about pro football. But there is nothing condescending or unpeaceful about the remarks I made above. I am stating my opinion, and others are free to disagree.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth. That really irritates me when people do that. I have never said that college football is pure and innocent, or that it is without its flaws.

Selam

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2597 on: January 17, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

I like college and pro football.  Grin

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2598 on: January 17, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »

It is all nonsense - but great fun!

Go Giants and Eli is ELI-te! Also kudos to my Syracuse Orange for 20-0 and six weeks as NUMBER ONE!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2599 on: January 17, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »

Yeah!!  Grin  One of these days I've got to get myself the red and blue face paint people use at the stadium, so I can yell at the TV in style.   Cheesy

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2600 on: January 17, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

HAPPY 70th BIRTHDAY to MUHAMMAD ALI!

Selam

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2601 on: January 17, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »

Happy birthday, Mr. Ali. Many happy returns.  Grin

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2602 on: January 17, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »

I like high school football, college football, pro football, arena football, soccer football, rugby football, Australian rules football, Gaelic football, and Canadian football! haha  Smiley

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2603 on: January 17, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »

Tough news for LSU: 5 star QB recruit Gunner Kiel decommits to the Tigers and enrolls at Notre Dame.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7471433/highly-touted-qb-gunner-kiel-enrolls-notre-dame-fighting-irish-lsu-tigers

Selam

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2604 on: January 17, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »

Tough news for LSU: 5 star QB recruit Gunner Kiel decommits to the Tigers and enrolls at Notre Dame.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7471433/highly-touted-qb-gunner-kiel-enrolls-notre-dame-fighting-irish-lsu-tigers

Selam

Due to the Lee - Jefferson controversy before the NC game.

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2605 on: January 18, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »

Selam

But you guys still have Mettengurger, who's supposed to be very good. Of course, he had his share of off the field issues at Georgia. Also, as talented as the Kiel kid is supposed to be, I don't trust anyone who commits to three different schools in the period of 6 months. Too flaky for my tastes. Y'all might be better off without him.

Selam

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2606 on: January 18, 2012, 06:22:27 AM »

Selam

But you guys still have Mettengurger, who's supposed to be very good. Of course, he had his share of off the field issues at Georgia. Also, as talented as the Kiel kid is supposed to be, I don't trust anyone who commits to three different schools in the period of 6 months. Too flaky for my tastes. Y'all might be better off without him.

Selam

That was one of the problems with Jefferson and you agree he should've played over Lee?

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2607 on: January 18, 2012, 06:22:35 AM »

I re-instate the fact that we should've played Lee.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/jarrett-lee-shines-in-all-star-game/

http://tucsoncitizen.com/tc-arizona-sports/?p=362

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2608 on: January 18, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »

It really didn't matter who you guys played at QB in that game. BAMA's defense was dominant that night, as it was all year. Those who understand football can recognize the difference between an inept offense and a defense that renders an offense inept. LSU was unstoppable offensively with both Jefferson and Lee all year, with the exception of two games against the same opponent. As much as LSU fans hate to admit it, BAMA was simply the better team this year. Best to give props where props are due and focus on improving in the future. But if Tiger fans want to spend their time promoting conspiracy theories and playing the "what if" game, then they're only going to hurt themselves. Heck, the way things are going right now down there, they are discouraging potential walk ons from trying out. Wink

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2609 on: January 18, 2012, 07:04:36 AM »

To show that I don't have BAMA blinders on:
Dre Kirkpatrick arrested: http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1319798

Disappointing, but I still have utmost faith in Dre and believe that he has great character. Compared to the things I was doing at his age, I ain't about to judge him on this one. Anyone who takes the time to thank the lunch ladies at his NFL declaration press conference is a class act in my book (http://video-embed.al.com/services/player/bcpid619329486001?bctid=1386856046001.)

Selam

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: