OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 07:49:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415057 times) Average Rating: 5
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2025 on: November 07, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »

This had nothing to do with the outcome of the game, but it was one of the most disgraceful acts I've ever seen in any sporting event. Our best defensive back, Dre Kirkpatrick - who also plays the "gunner" position on punt coverage - had flat out beaten #7 (Tyrann Matthieu, aka the "honey badger," who incidentally had been suspended the week before for illegal drug use) on this play. So, #7 is embarrassed and decides to deliberately try to take our guy out of the game with a clothes-line cross to the neck. Mission accomplished. Dre Kirkpatrick left the game with a shoulder injury and a concussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZar2gZP-E&feature=share

In a half-hearted apology, Tyrann Matthieu tweeted on Sunday:
"TM7_Era: S/O to Dre didn't mean to do what I did but it's a technique that we practice, you were just tall as (expletive deleted) and fast as you kno what! Goodluck"

I have both played and coached football, and I have never in my life heard of any such "technique" that involves deliberately clothes-lining or delivering a forearm blow to the head of an opposing player.

But lest we think that the apology of LSU's #7 was insincere, here's what he tweeted today:
"TM7_Era: Never felt so hated on in my life!!! Sore losers"

Even though my team lost, I have never been prouder to be a BAMA fan. For us, the definition of "winner" is not merely defined by the numbers on the scoreboard. Thanks to our players for representing us so well, even in defeat!

ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam

Well Gebe, the drugs werent illegal, just against LSU student policy.

But what he did on that play was a disgrace, and possibly deserves a suspension. I doubt Les will do it though *rolls eyes*

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2026 on: November 07, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »

LSU! LSU! LSU!

LSU 9 - Alabama 6

GREAT GAME.

I am very proud of my school, great win, it could've definitely went either way. Like Les said, I'd be honoured for a re-match with Alabama in January, we are the two best teams after all.  Smiley

Congrats again on a great win. For those who truly know football, that was a great game to watch. I hated that we fell short, but you guys definitely deserved the win. Those might be the best two defenses that anyone will see for many years. I hope we get a rematch; but if not, we can't complain. We had our opportunity, and we didn't get it done. BTW, I hope you guys will now stop your fixation with Saban-bashing and recognize what a great coach you truly have in Les Miles. I still wouldn't trade Saban for anyone else, but your guy has a winning record against our guy. So give him his props and show him some love. Wink

Selam

I've never been big into Saban bashing, considering I moved here around the time he left, so he doesnt mean much to me. Les is a good coach...just a tad too soft IMHO. He needs to enforce the rules and punish the players better when the do wrong.

Again, 'Bama, great game, should've been a tie.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:24:03 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2027 on: November 07, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »

LSU! LSU! LSU!

LSU 9 - Alabama 6

GREAT GAME.

I am very proud of my school, great win, it could've definitely went either way. Like Les said, I'd be honoured for a re-match with Alabama in January, we are the two best teams after all.  Smiley

Congrats again on a great win. For those who truly know football, that was a great game to watch. I hated that we fell short, but you guys definitely deserved the win. Those might be the best two defenses that anyone will see for many years. I hope we get a rematch; but if not, we can't complain. We had our opportunity, and we didn't get it done. BTW, I hope you guys will now stop your fixation with Saban-bashing and recognize what a great coach you truly have in Les Miles. I still wouldn't trade Saban for anyone else, but your guy has a winning record against our guy. So give him his props and show him some love. Wink

Selam

I've never been big into Saban bashing, considering I moved here around the time he left, so he doesnt mean much to me. Les is a good coach...just a tad too soft IMHO. He needs to enforce the rules and punish the players better when the do wrong.

Again, 'Bama, great game, should've been a tie.

I did appreciate Les Miles's repsonse when asked if he thought they should play BAMA again in the National Championship. He said, "We'd be honored to play this team again." A classy answer in my opinion. I think both teams earned each other's respect Saturday night. Nothing like the SEC!

CelticFan: I think that you and I have similar philosophies when it comes to sports. I like discipline, character, and class; and it seems you do as well. When BAMA does wrong I don't hesitate to condemn it, and we've been wrong from time to time ourselves.

PtA: I've always pulled for your DUCKS because of you, but now I'm REALLY a fan!!! Wink

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2028 on: November 07, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »

I did appreciate Les Miles's repsonse when asked if he thought they should play BAMA again in the National Championship. He said, "We'd be honored to play this team again." A classy answer in my opinion. I think both teams earned each other's respect Saturday night. Nothing like the SEC!

CelticFan: I think that you and I have similar philosophies when it comes to sports. I like discipline, character, and class; and it seems you do as well. When BAMA does wrong I don't hesitate to condemn it, and we've been wrong from time to time ourselves.

Selam

Les is a good man. I completely agree, it'd be an honour to take on 'bama again. You boys have a powerful and classy squad and I wish you luck on the rest of the year.

And yes, those qualities are the most important qualities you can have in sport of any kind. I don't like when people do unsportsman like acts, like the Honey Badger, if I were Les I'd suspend him for atleast 2-3 games. I do love that about Nick, he doesnt accept that going on in his team, and I respect him for that. You have a lot of class yourself, you are loyal to your team, but you aren't a sore loser. I find that the problem with a lot of LSU fans is that they are sore losers, it is one of the problems here.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:41:39 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
George_Mina_Awad

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #2029 on: November 08, 2011, 01:02:05 AM »

There goes the Eagles' season.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2030 on: November 08, 2011, 02:56:12 AM »

Selam

Les is a good man. I completely agree, it'd be an honour to take on 'bama again. You boys have a powerful and classy squad and I wish you luck on the rest of the year.

And yes, those qualities are the most important qualities you can have in sport of any kind. I don't like when people do unsportsman like acts, like the Honey Badger, if I were Les I'd suspend him for atleast 2-3 games. I do love that about Nick, he doesnt accept that going on in his team, and I respect him for that. You have a lot of class yourself, you are loyal to your team, but you aren't a sore loser. I find that the problem with a lot of LSU fans is that they are sore losers, it is one of the problems here.

We all have our share of poor fans, and we all have players on our teams that commit the occasional cheap shot. I'm sure that Saban and Miles both want their players to conduct themselves the right way.

I was all fired up about Tyrann Matthieu's actions against Dre Kirkpatritck, and then the news came out today about "JoePa" basically turning a blind eye to a former assistant sodomizing a 10 year old boy in the Penn State locker room showers. Kind of puts the whole thing in perspective.

BTW, you're a classy guy too bro! It would indeed be awesome to see the Tide and the Tigers in a rematch for the National Championship. Best wishes to you in your future Futbol endeavors! I can assure that I will always pull for the Celtics over the Rangers! Wink

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2031 on: November 08, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Ouch! Tell me about it! That was a MUST WIN game for them to redeam themselves and perhaps even sneak into the play-offs, but now, alas. All over a 4th and 10 pass that was just a yard short of the 1st down with just under 2 minutes left...  Thats ok, we can only have so many miraculous 2 minutes and the Ravens used up all that mojo sunday night Wink

The worst part is while Bears got the W its probably worthless for them, their division is stacked up, and they probably won't even be able to get the wild card with the Lions lookings so good this season.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2032 on: November 08, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Ouch! Tell me about it! That was a MUST WIN game for them to redeam themselves and perhaps even sneak into the play-offs, but now, alas. All over a 4th and 10 pass that was just a yard short of the 1st down with just under 2 minutes left...  Thats ok, we can only have so many miraculous 2 minutes and the Ravens used up all that mojo sunday night Wink

The worst part is while Bears got the W its probably worthless for them, their division is stacked up, and they probably won't even be able to get the wild card with the Lions lookings so good this season.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
You do know that there are TWO wild cards to be won in the NFC?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2033 on: November 09, 2011, 07:14:55 AM »

JOE FRAZIER: MEMORY ETERNAL!

I am a fanatical Muhammad Ali fan, but there would be no Ali without Joe Frazier. As Ali once said: "Joe Frazier is the greatest fighter of all time next to me." Thank you Joe Frazier for giving us your heart, your soul, and your courage! You will always be THE pride of Philadelphia!!!!

Selam

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2034 on: November 09, 2011, 07:25:11 AM »

Smokin' Joe. Born in Beaufort, SC -- which means he was likely of Gullah heritage (like the First Lady).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:26:07 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2035 on: November 09, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »

After both entered the Madison Square Garden ring undefeated in 1971 for what was called the Fight of the Century, Frazier flattened Ali with a left hook and earned a unanimous and unquestioned 15-round decision that Ali didn’t wait to hear. His jaw swollen, he hurried out of the ring on the way to a nearby hospital. He knew who had won.

The Thrilla in Manila in 1975 was awarded to Ali when Frazier’s trainer, Eddie Futch, wouldn’t let him answer the bell for the 15th round because “he couldn’t see the right hands coming” out of his closed left eye, but Frazier soon talked freely in the interview area. When an exhausted Ali finally arrived, he described their epic in brutality as “next to death.”

That evening, at a party in an old Filipino palace, Ali, his ribs battered, walked stiffly and sat stiffly, painfully offering a finger or two instead of shaking hands.

At his hotel, Frazier sang and danced. Seeing them both, if you didn’t know what had happened in the fight, you had to think Frazier was the winner.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2036 on: November 09, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »

After both entered the Madison Square Garden ring undefeated in 1971 for what was called the Fight of the Century, Frazier flattened Ali with a left hook and earned a unanimous and unquestioned 15-round decision that Ali didn’t wait to hear. His jaw swollen, he hurried out of the ring on the way to a nearby hospital. He knew who had won.

The Thrilla in Manila in 1975 was awarded to Ali when Frazier’s trainer, Eddie Futch, wouldn’t let him answer the bell for the 15th round because “he couldn’t see the right hands coming” out of his closed left eye, but Frazier soon talked freely in the interview area. When an exhausted Ali finally arrived, he described their epic in brutality as “next to death.”

That evening, at a party in an old Filipino palace, Ali, his ribs battered, walked stiffly and sat stiffly, painfully offering a finger or two instead of shaking hands.

At his hotel, Frazier sang and danced. Seeing them both, if you didn’t know what had happened in the fight, you had to think Frazier was the winner.

Great article!

Selam

George_Mina_Awad

« Reply #2037 on: November 09, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »

JoePa retiring at the end of the season.

Is the board of trustees gonna allow him to make that decision for himself?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2038 on: November 09, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »

It's horrible that he isn't immediately resigning. A slap in the face to the victims and their families. And I've always had nothing but positive things to say about Paterno. But neither he nor the University is doing the right thing by allowing him to coach the rest of the season.

Let us pray for the victims!

"Lord have mercy."

Selam
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:00:51 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2039 on: November 09, 2011, 02:03:39 PM »

It's horrible that he isn't immediately resigning. A slap in the face to the victims and their families. And I've always had nothing but positive things to say about Paterno. But neither he nor the University is doing the right thing by allowing him to coach the rest of the season.

Let us pray for the victims!

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

Indeed.

Jim Rome had a lot to say about it this afternoon.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2040 on: November 09, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »

So did Peterno know what was going on or no?

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #2041 on: November 09, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »

he did, and followed university protocol by reporting it to the AD

SCREW BON JOVI!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2042 on: November 09, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »

In memory of Joe Frazier. Memory Eternal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-FEcvNXkmY&feature=share

Selam

George_Mina_Awad

« Reply #2043 on: November 09, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
You do know that there are TWO wild cards to be won in the NFC?

I think the second one is more likely to go to the 2nd place team out of the South (probably Atlanta, or maybe even New Orleans).

Anyways, the only thing I'm asking out of the Eagles now is to beat the Giants, and give me a reason not to be mad at them for a whole year.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2044 on: November 09, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »

Just when you thought Americans would do anything...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/11/09/north-carolina-michigan-state-set-to-face-off-aboard-navy-warship/

Forgive my sins.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2045 on: November 09, 2011, 09:45:37 PM »

Wow. That is really-- wow.   Shocked

I hope nobody makes a catch out of bounds.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2046 on: November 09, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

Wow. That is really-- wow.   Shocked

I hope nobody makes a catch out of bounds.

LOL. I wonder what'll happen if it rains.  Lips Sealed

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2047 on: November 09, 2011, 11:35:44 PM »

I guess the controversy surrounding JoePa, though, is that he had the power to do much more than just report the crime up his chain of command but sat on his hands and did nothing more than he did. As head coach, could he not have launched an investigation into the activities of his assistant coaches and either fired Sandusky or petitioned the AD to fire Sandusky? As the most respected man in Happy Valley, some would say JoePa had even more power than the university president. He may have fulfilled his legal responsibilities, but did he fulfill his moral responsibilities?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:37:37 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2048 on: November 09, 2011, 11:53:28 PM »

I guess the controversy surrounding JoePa, though, is that he had the power to do much more than just report the crime up his chain of command but sat on his hands and did nothing more than he did. As head coach, could he not have launched an investigation into the activities of his assistant coaches and either fired Sandusky or petitioned the AD to fire Sandusky? As the most respected man in Happy Valley, some would say JoePa had even more power than the university president. He may have fulfilled his legal responsibilities, but did he fulfill his moral responsibilities?

I agree Peter. He passed the buck and apparrently turned a blind eye to something that had been going on for many years. No way he should be coaching, nor should he be allowed to "retire." Penn State needs to thoroughly clean house and do whatever they can to salvage the wonderful reputation they have cultivated over the decades. This whole thing is just unbelievably sad and reprehensible.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2049 on: November 10, 2011, 12:17:40 AM »

I agree Peter. He passed the buck and apparrently turned a blind eye to something that had been going on for many years. No way he should be coaching, nor should he be allowed to "retire." Penn State needs to thoroughly clean house and do whatever they can to salvage the wonderful reputation they have cultivated over the decades. This whole thing is just unbelievably sad and reprehensible.

Selam

Well, it looks as if the Penn State board of trustees shares your opinion. They just fired Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/joe_paterno_fired_as_penn_stat.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:21:21 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
George_Mina_Awad

« Reply #2050 on: November 10, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »

Selam

Well, it looks as if the Penn State board of trustees shares your opinion. They just fired Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/joe_paterno_fired_as_penn_stat.html

I don't like it. I don't know why, but I just don't like it.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2051 on: November 10, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »

One other question that comes up frequently. JoePa could have notified the police of the earliest allegations made against Sandusky immediately after he had heard them. Why did he not do so? Since he had already notified school officials, he may not have had a legal responsibility to notify the police, but could it not be argued that he had a moral responsibility to do so?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:42:42 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2052 on: November 10, 2011, 12:38:01 AM »

Selam

I'm saddened to see such a legendary coaching career end like this, so I don't like the decision, either. However, I think the Penn State board of trustees may have made the right decision to fire JoePa. Until I know more, which may never happen, since investigation of the facts in this case is not one of my priorities, I'll just choose to trust that the board of trustees knows what they're doing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:39:59 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2053 on: November 10, 2011, 12:42:31 AM »

I was thinking about the sports figures who were involved in the most tragic, disgraceful, or shocking sports-related events in my lifetime. Here's my short list, off the top of my head, and in order of the heinous nature of the scandal:

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
(Yes, I think sodomizing 10 year old children is a more heinous crime than murdering one's adulterous spouse.)
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Other opinions or people to add to the list?

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2054 on: November 10, 2011, 12:47:46 AM »

I was thinking about the sports figures who were involved in the most tragic, disgraceful, or shocking sports-related events in my lifetime. Here's my short list, off the top of my head, and in order of the heinous nature of the scandal:

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
(Yes, I think sodomizing 10 year old children is a more heinous crime than murdering one's adulterous spouse.)
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam
I'd personally go with Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and all the others involved or implicated in dragging Major League Baseball through the steroids era of the 1990's and early 2000's over the Cam Newton scandal. I really don't think the Newton scandal that big a deal and think that you may be inflating it a bit since Newton played for your arch-rival Auburn.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2055 on: November 10, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »

One other question that comes up frequently. JoePa could have notified the police of the earliest allegations made against Sandusky immediately after he had heard them. Why did he not do so? Since he had already notified school officials, he may not have had a legal responsibility to notify the police, but could it not be argued that he had a moral responsibility to do so?

Yep. He should've immediately notified the police. But the biggest coward of all was Mike Mcqueary, the guy who actually caught Sandusky in the act of raping that poor little boy. What did Mcqueary do when he saw that act of sodomy taking place? He ran away and called his daddy. Why in the world didn't he STOP that bastard from raping that boy? Why did he walk away when he saw that poor child being abused? I don't use the word "hate" very often, but I hate cowardice like that. If you see a child being raped, by God step in and STOP IT!!! What a punk!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2056 on: November 10, 2011, 12:57:58 AM »

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam
I'd personally go with Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and all the others involved or implicated in dragging Major League Baseball through the steroids era of the 1990's and early 2000's over the Cam Newton scandal. I really don't think the Newton scandal that big a deal and think that you may be inflating it a bit since Newton played for your arch-rival Auburn.

I may be guilty of BAMA bias here. I admit it's possible. But I love college football, and the indisputable fact is that Cam's daddy at least tried to auction him to the highest bidder, pure and simple. No proof that Auburn out bid everyone else, but I certainly suspect they did. Too much circumstantial evidence in my opinion. Also, no proof whether Cam had knowledge of it or not, but since he seems like a pretty savvy kid, I have trouble believing he was completely in the dark. But even if Cam was naively ignorant that he was being shopped around, the fact that he was actually being shopped at all brought shame, disgrace, and dishonor to a sport I dearly love.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2057 on: November 10, 2011, 01:10:10 AM »

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam

I may be guilty of BAMA bias here. I admit it's possible. But I love college football, and the indisputable fact is that Cam's daddy at least tried to auction him to the highest bidder, pure and simple. No proof that Auburn out bid everyone else, but I certainly suspect they did. Too much circumstantial evidence in my opinion. Also, no proof whether Cam had knowledge of it or not, but since he seems like a pretty savvy kid, I have trouble believing he was completely in the dark. But even if Cam was naively ignorant that he was being shopped around, the fact that he was actually being shopped at all brought shame, disgrace, and dishonor to a sport I dearly love.

Selam

But considering that all you have to go on is suspicion, which is much less than what was available for similar college football scandals of the same general time frame, I would say that Reggie Bush's voluntary forfeiture of his Heisman Trophy and USC's vacation of the BCS championship they won with him on the team make for much more of a scandal than what Cam Newton's daddy did last year.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:13:18 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
George_Mina_Awad

« Reply #2058 on: November 10, 2011, 01:23:13 AM »

Selam

I'm saddened to see such a legendary coaching career end like this, so I don't like the decision, either. However, I think the Penn State board of trustees may have made the right decision to fire JoePa. Until I know more, which may never happen, since investigation of the facts in this case is not one of my priorities, I'll just choose to trust that the board of trustees knows what they're doing.

I don't think there's anything to suggest they know more than we do. They did it with a phone call, too. Everyone was saying that he doesn't deserve to call the shots about when he should end his career (after he announced his retirement) but the way I see it, that already may have been punishment enough because if it were up to him, he would be coaching through next year.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2059 on: November 10, 2011, 01:30:09 AM »

Selam

I don't think there's anything to suggest they know more than we do. They did it with a phone call, too. Everyone was saying that he doesn't deserve to call the shots about when he should end his career (after he announced his retirement) but the way I see it, that already may have been punishment enough because if it were up to him, he would be coaching through next year.
But if they fire him, they don't have to pay his retirement pension, assuming they were planning on paying him one.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2060 on: November 10, 2011, 01:33:31 AM »

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam

Selam

But considering that all you have to go on is suspicion, which is much less than what was available for similar college football scandals of the same general time frame, I would say that Reggie Bush's voluntary forfeiture of his Heisman Trophy and USC's vacation of the BCS championship they won with him on the team make for much more of a scandal than what Cam Newton's daddy did last year.

Perhaps, but a least Reggie Bush had the decency to return his Heisman. "Scam" Newton ain't about to give his up. But there's a lot of tarnish on that trophy. Wink

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2061 on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:57 AM »

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam

Selam

Perhaps, but a least Reggie Bush had the decency to return his Heisman. "Scam" Newton ain't about to give his up. But there's a lot of tarnish on that trophy. Wink
Only the tarnish you put on there, Gebre, only the tarnish you put on there.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2062 on: November 10, 2011, 01:47:34 AM »

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam

In the interest of pure objectivity, I must admit that I made one glaring oversight in compiling this list. Far worse than murder, far worse than sodomy, far more tragic than AIDS, and far more disgraceful than pimping out your own son... the number one sports tragedy of all time is...

The murder of Toomer's Trees.

How could I be so callous and heartless as to have initially ignored this greatest of violations against human rights, civil rights, ummm... environmental rights? I guess that's what it was, not quite sure. But it's got to be at the top of the list. I mean two innocent trees murdered! Nothing worse than that, right?

Of course, I've always wondered how many trees have died in order to provide all that toilet paper that Auburn fans used to roll those two trees over the years. It's an irony I still can't get past.

Selam
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:49:18 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2063 on: November 10, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam

Selam

I think his daddy put on there, not me.  Wink

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2064 on: November 10, 2011, 01:53:33 AM »

Watching ESPN's constant coverage of the Penn State situation. Is it just me, or does it seem like the media is pulling for chaos and rioting to break out? So far, the students seem to be pretty well behaved for such an impromptu protest. But apparrently a news truck was overturned, and ESPN seems to be almost hoping for worse. Am I the only that notices this?

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2065 on: November 10, 2011, 02:56:53 AM »

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam

Selam

I think his daddy put on there, not me.  Wink

Selam

Nah, I think you're just sore that Auburn won the national championship last year and Bama's not going to win it this year. You still haven't presented anything more than your conjecture that Auburn bought Cam Newton from his father and/or that Cam knew what his father was doing and may have even been a willing participant. Your speculation only makes you look overanxious to throw mud on your rivals, which reflects more badly upon you than upon Cameron Newton.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:57:18 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2066 on: November 10, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »

Watching ESPN's constant coverage of the Penn State situation. Is it just me, or does it seem like the media is pulling for chaos and rioting to break out? So far, the students seem to be pretty well behaved for such an impromptu protest. But apparrently a news truck was overturned, and ESPN seems to be almost hoping for worse. Am I the only that notices this?

Selam

They are certainly instigating the situation. I wish they would just let this quite down. Penn State can take care of it without the help of ESPN.

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2067 on: November 10, 2011, 07:27:42 PM »

1. Joe Paterno
2. OJ Simpson
3. Magic Johnson
4. Cam Newton

Selam

Selam

I think his daddy put on there, not me.  Wink

Selam

Nah, I think you're just sore that Auburn won the national championship last year and Bama's not going to win it this year. You still haven't presented anything more than your conjecture that Auburn bought Cam Newton from his father and/or that Cam knew what his father was doing and may have even been a willing participant. Your speculation only makes you look overanxious to throw mud on your rivals, which reflects more badly upon you than upon Cameron Newton.

Why don't you just focus on beating Stanford? That's the best thing you can do for BAMA right now. Wink

Selam

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2068 on: November 12, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »

England 1-Spain 0!

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2069 on: November 12, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »

That's what she said.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:56:04 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: