OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:29:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 437997 times) Average Rating: 5
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1620 on: April 02, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »

Sorta regretting not putting a grand on UK as 2 1/2 pt. dogs at work on Friday. Probably cudda got the spread up to 3 1/2.

The UK hate in my area artificially pushes the line.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1621 on: April 02, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

Sorta regretting not putting a grand on UK as 2 1/2 pt. dogs at work on Friday. Probably cudda got the spread up to 3 1/2.

The UK hate in my area artificially pushes the line.

Nail biter. I wudda had an extra grand Monday. With two seconds and down by 4 KY came back to lose but beat the spread.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1622 on: April 05, 2011, 12:53:07 AM »

Does anybody for either UConn or Butler even know how to put a round ball through a round basket anymore? Shocked When the winning team shoots worse than 35% from the field and still wins by 12, you know it's a bad night. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:53:32 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1623 on: April 05, 2011, 05:50:23 AM »

Does anybody for either UConn or Butler even know how to put a round ball through a round basket anymore? Shocked When the winning team shoots worse than 35% from the field and still wins by 12, you know it's a bad night. Roll Eyes
The whole Final Four was very anti-climactic, IMO.

I looked at my friend and said, "That's why I don't watch college ball." Sloppy, sloppy playing.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #1624 on: April 05, 2011, 06:05:34 AM »

Thank goodness College Basketball is over, baseball is upon us, and the NHL/NBA playoffs are almost as well!

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1625 on: April 05, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed the NCAA tournament. I like watching sports where people actually play as a team, exert 100% effort, and play defense. But now I'll have to wait until Fall to see such things again. Enjoy your NBA and MLB. Roll Eyes

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1626 on: April 05, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »

I was going to make a sarcastic joke about MLB players not playing defense... then I remembered that my Pirates were last in the entire league last year in defense... so nevermind  Cheesy

Large Marge sent me...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1627 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:33 PM »

I was going to make a sarcastic joke about MLB players not playing defense... then I remembered that my Pirates were last in the entire league last year in defense... so nevermind  Cheesy

Well, in baseball, pitching is defense; so I admit that pro baseball players take defense seriously. And baseball does provide some nice diving catches. But defense in the NBA? Only when "it counts."

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1628 on: April 05, 2011, 08:17:22 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed the NCAA tournament. I like watching sports where people actually play as a team, exert 100% effort, and play defense. But now I'll have to wait until Fall to see such things again. Enjoy your NBA and MLB. Roll Eyes

Selam

Exactly. Women's basketball ain't bad either.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1629 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »

Selam
Ahem, I would like to argue that there was a lot of sloppy ball handling and a lot of ridiculous shots taken during the NCAA finals. It's not just a pro/college thing. That set of games was just overall disappointing.

And I DO like the WNBA too!  Smiley And MLB: Let's go METS!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1630 on: April 05, 2011, 10:27:16 PM »

A question from someone that was never particularly good at baseball... when a pop up is in the field of play, players can usually pinpoint exactly where they need to be to catch the ball. Yet when there is a pop up that ends up 20 feet up into the seats, players run through foul territory like they have no clue where the ball is going to come down. Why is it that at times a player can judge the trajectory and speed that he needs to run to catch a ball, yet at other times they are completely clueless about where the ball will come down?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:27:31 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #1631 on: April 05, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »

A question from someone that was never particularly good at baseball... when a pop up is in the field of play, players can usually pinpoint exactly where they need to be to catch the ball. Yet when there is a pop up that ends up 20 feet up into the seats, players run through foul territory like they have no clue where the ball is going to come down. Why is it that at times a player can judge the trajectory and speed that he needs to run to catch a ball, yet at other times they are completely clueless about where the ball will come down?

when the ball is popped up you instinctively run to where the ball is heading.
you don't look where your heading, you keep your eye on the ball, which is why you see some of them run right into the wall.

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1632 on: April 06, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »

Well, the Aggie gals gigged the Irish gals, and now, March Madness is officially over.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #1633 on: April 06, 2011, 02:55:20 AM »

Selam
Ahem, I would like to argue that there was a lot of sloppy ball handling and a lot of ridiculous shots taken during the NCAA finals. It's not just a pro/college thing. That set of games was just overall disappointing.

And I DO like the WNBA too!  Smiley And MLB: Let's go METS!

What a Met game last night. So glad I woke myself up at 4am to watch most of it.
LGM

As for basketball, I like the NBA just fine, it's not my favorite; I revolve around baseball and hockey, the sports I played from childhood through college, but I find the assertion that there is better D played in college ball to be really fishy. One of my issues with college ball (among MANY others, about which I wrote an article last year)  is the lack of D in the game...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:57:36 AM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1634 on: April 06, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »

you don't look where your heading, you keep your eye on the ball, which is why you see some of them run right into the wall.
Yes.  Or you attempt to watch both, which is how they end up looking like Asteriktos' description.  For some reason, I guess the brain reaches its limits in simultaneously keeping track of one moving object (the ball) and one stationary (the wall).
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1635 on: April 06, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »

Yes.  Or you attempt to watch both, which is how they end up looking like Asteriktos' description.  For some reason, I guess the brain reaches its limits in simultaneously keeping track of one moving object (the ball) and one stationary (the wall).
In my experience as a lifelong 2B, it ain't that complex. You go after the ball until it drops, no matter what you think.

Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #1636 on: April 06, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »

In my experience as a lifelong 2B, it ain't that complex. You go after the ball until it drops, no matter what you think.

Almost any learned activity repeated over time can become a learned instinct, like riding a bike. you rarely think about it, you just do it, it's not complex at all.
judging where the ball is going based on speed angle and trajectory are all visual cues, this is what (I) use (i play outfield and shortstop)
same for judging when i'm approaching the wall, i use awareness of my surroundings, which is just prior visual reference,(hitting the wall is less important than catching the ball) all played out together instinctively.
i was taught to keep my eyes on the ball, not where i'm going, it's to easy to lose that little ball, which could be why thats the way (I) do it.
but as my Grandfather used to tell me, "Just because i taught you to do it this way, doesn't mean it's the only right way to do it"

BTW your description, is my description, way more simplified, as far as i can see. My description is just  my own personal experience and YMMV

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1637 on: April 07, 2011, 01:33:07 AM »

Almost any learned activity repeated over time can become a learned instinct, like riding a bike. you rarely think about it, you just do it, it's not complex at all.
judging where the ball is going based on speed angle and trajectory are all visual cues, this is what (I) use (i play outfield and shortstop)
same for judging when i'm approaching the wall, i use awareness of my surroundings, which is just prior visual reference,(hitting the wall is less important than catching the ball) all played out together instinctively.
i was taught to keep my eyes on the ball, not where i'm going, it's to easy to lose that little ball, which could be why thats the way (I) do it.
but as my Grandfather used to tell me, "Just because i taught you to do it this way, doesn't mean it's the only right way to do it"

BTW your description, is my description, way more simplified, as far as i can see. My description is just  my own personal experience and YMMV
Quite.
And here's to Mets-Phils being a US time day game today, so that I don't have to get up at 4am to watch it like the last 2 nights. Let's Go Mets! В Перед Метс!

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1638 on: April 07, 2011, 01:57:52 AM »

Then there's Bob Uecker and his advice on how to catch a knuckleball. "Wait until it stops rolling, then pick it up." Grin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1639 on: April 08, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Smiley

Btw, in other baseball news, God knows what's best for Manny  angel

Large Marge sent me...
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #1640 on: April 09, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »

I can't believe my Rockies lost to the Pirates last night. Was a great game but we just couldn't hold on. Plus the ball travles weird in all these low altitude parks.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1641 on: April 09, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »

I wish I could have actually watched it. They had a Penguins game on the channel that normally carries the Pirates here, so I watched the Pens first. Then I found out that the Pirates were still playing, so I had to settle for listening to the game on a radio station website. That was one long game!

Large Marge sent me...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1642 on: April 09, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »

Weird happinings in Baseball: one week in, and the Orioles and Indians are in 1st in their respective divisions, and the Pirates are second.

Last night's Tribe game was phenomenal - a 10-run 4th to remember for awhile.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1643 on: April 10, 2011, 12:37:11 AM »

Carlos Beltran.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1644 on: April 11, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »

I'm going to bask in the glory of my Indians, who are playing more like the club that electrified the 90's than the one which stunk up the aughts.  Yes, it's only 9 games of 162, but it's good enough for now.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1645 on: April 11, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »

I could count the amount of hockey games I watched this season on one hand, but the Habs are in the playoffs, so my interest is peaked.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:38:14 PM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1646 on: April 11, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »

You sir, have forfeited your rights to call yourself a Canadian. For shame!

Large Marge sent me...
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1647 on: April 11, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »

laugh  That is no completely true.  I take great pleasure in the Maple Leafs losing, which is used by some to measure how Canadian you truly are.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1648 on: April 11, 2011, 05:24:04 PM »

I wish I could have actually watched it. They had a Penguins game on the channel that normally carries the Pirates here, so I watched the Pens first. Then I found out that the Pirates were still playing, so I had to settle for listening to the game on a radio station website. That was one long game!

Baseball is often better on the radio than on tv imo though. It feels like childhood. Not because I had no tv but long car trips in the summer always had baseball on the waves!

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1649 on: April 11, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

^ The main issue with the radio for me, I think, is that I tend to miss a lot because I get into other things. An inning ends and I go to do some dishes, and end up missing an inning or two. Or I check my email, or OC.net, and am so focused on that that I tune out what's happening in the game (unless the announces are getting really excited). I guess I'm just better when I have visual cues to remind me when the game is back on.

Large Marge sent me...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1650 on: April 11, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »

laugh  That is no completely true.  I take great pleasure in the Maple Leafs losing, which is used by some to measure how Canadian you truly are.

Oh, well I stand corrected  angel

Large Marge sent me...
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1651 on: April 11, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »

^ The main issue with the radio for me, I think, is that I tend to miss a lot because I get into other things. An inning ends and I go to do some dishes, and end up missing an inning or two. Or I check my email, or OC.net, and am so focused on that that I tune out what's happening in the game (unless the announces are getting really excited). I guess I'm just better when I have visual cues to remind me when the game is back on.

Ah this is very true. I've missed too many homers doing dishes or laundry  laugh
It's better when you can sit on the porch with a cold brew and listen free of distraction.

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1652 on: April 11, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »

I could count the amount of hockey games I watched this season on one hand, but the Habs are in the playoffs, so my interest is peaked.
BRUINS.
Should be a quick and easy series. From someone who couldn't count how many hockey games I've watched or played this year.
Go get em B's. I'll be up from 3-6am for every game.

That said, aside from being a Bruins fan, most compelling, in terms of pure hockey, series of the first round have to be Kings-Sharks, Canucks-Hawks, or TB-Pitt. If Sid could fix his bruised brains, it would be a wild one, Sid vs. stamkos, but even so, it'll be good.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:27:28 PM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1653 on: April 11, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »

Hockey needs to return to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWwkG7JRDk

No more dump and chase, chippy stuff...just pure skill.

Also, I have a theory that increased head shots and injuries are due to the improved safety quality of equipment and the increased amount of said equipment. On the other hand, they probably didn't track head injuries back then due to lack of knowledge, so my theory remains unproven.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1654 on: April 11, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »

Hockey needs to return to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWwkG7JRDk

No more dump and chase, chippy stuff...just pure skill.

Also, I have a theory that increased head shots and injuries are due to the improved safety quality of equipment and the increased amount of said equipment. On the other hand, they probably didn't track head injuries back then due to lack of knowledge, so my theory remains unproven.
The game that was played from about 1995-2004, i.e., the Marty Brodeur and the trap era, was chippy and dump and chasey. The post lockout game, in large part thanks to Brendan Shanahan, is probably the most skill-based form of the game we've ever seen. Ovy, Sid, Stamkos, Malkin, Heatley, the Sedins, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Patty Kane, Toews, Iggy, Staal, yadayadayada? Trouble is, the game alienated a lot of folks by not addressing the lack of skill earlier, and then compounded it with the lockout, so there are tons of people left who don't recognize the quality of hockey being played right now. If you're in Edmonton, I think Mr.'s Eberle and Hall could speak to this, and I believe your arch-rival Jarome Iginla to be one of the most exciting players ever.

It's a fairly common theory that the new equipment has contributed to injuries/headshots, that I definitely agree with. The armor is so thick, yet so permitting in terms of movement and speed, that players feel invincible, and go all out in their hits. I'm a goalie, bit I've skated out here and there, and you definitely put a lot more into your hit when you're heavily armored. This is why Football will always be more violent than Rugby, despite the fact that it would seem to be the opposite.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:47:42 PM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1655 on: April 11, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »

Baseball is often better on the radio than on tv imo though.

I have found very few exceptions to this.  In Cleveland, we've been blessed with a few top-quality radio play-by-play callers (especially Tom Hamilton for baseball and Joe Tait for basketball); listening to the TV guys is usually a bit worse than walking into a room of infants who all have bleeding diaper rash.

---------------------
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1656 on: April 11, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »

I have found very few exceptions to this.  In Cleveland, we've been blessed with a few top-quality radio play-by-play callers (especially Tom Hamilton for baseball and Joe Tait for basketball); listening to the TV guys is usually a bit worse than walking into a room of infants who all have bleeding diaper rash.

What a horrid image  laugh

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1657 on: April 12, 2011, 04:26:26 AM »

They are excellent! Whenever I've been in range of them, I've given them a listen. I think TV just depends. To me the best 5 TV crews are:
1. Dodgers. Vin. One-man show of perfection.
2. Mets. Gary Cohen is a great, level-headed play-by-play man (with a good HR call), Keith has a tendency to be wild, but also knows an awful lot about the game, and Ronnie was a great pitcher and an ivy-leaguer to boot, not to mention that they played together. It's a privilege to watch them.
3. Orioles. Outside of Scully, nobody's got a better voice for the job than Gary Thorne.
4. Red Sox. They can be lightning rods, but Remy and Orsillo do a fine job, and I think it is reflected when Red Sox fans elect Remy as the "honorary President" of Red Sox Nation, which is dumb, but it is what it is, and Orsillo gets the big MLB Network playoff games. Orsillo, to me, is very good at impartiality.
5. Angels. I don't know very much about Rojas and Gubizca, other than that when I've watched Angel games on their broadcast (I always get the MLB cable package and MLB.TV on the computer, which is why I watch so many bcasts...), I've been soundly impressed.
Honorary 6th, would have been much higher, Harry Kalas. I hate the Phillies, but he was awesome, plus I do a great impression of him. Memory Eternal.

The worst? Not too tough:
1. Yankees. (And I'm not just being a hater. I actually like the radio team, as goofy and off-the-wall as John Sterling is, he's a fine showman) Michael Kay comes off as incredibly pompous, and wildly biased. I don't know a broadcaster that will call a routine defensive play like it's a web gem more than him. To boot, they surround him with a rotating crew of washed-up Yankee has beens looking for work. It surprises me that they can't do better.
2. Detroit. Always sounds very unprofessional, not even in a biased sort of way, just disorganized. This is what happens when someone like Ernie Harwell leaves, I guess.
3. Chip Caray(TBS/MLB/Floating...). I don't think I need to elaborate on that point.
4. Jon Miller (SF/ESPN). Talks down to the audience, without ever adding all that much. I don't get the hype. He actually bothers me more than Morgan.
5. Toronto. Buck Martinez is simply grating. I had to stop listening to the MLB Home Plate morning show on account of him.

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #1658 on: April 14, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »

ah, the time has come for playoffs

LETS GO BUFFALO
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1659 on: April 14, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »

Baseball is often better on the radio than on tv imo though. It feels like childhood. Not because I had no tv but long car trips in the summer always had baseball on the waves!

Absolute truth. Watching baseball on TV is like watching paint dry with horrible commercials interspersed. Quietly on the radio, it is like . . . something paints does that is not terribly boring with commercials you can tune out.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1660 on: April 17, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »

BRUINS.
Should be a quick and easy series. From someone who couldn't count how many hockey games I've watched or played this year.

That said, aside from being a Bruins fan, most compelling, in terms of pure hockey, series of the first round have to be Kings-Sharks, Canucks-Hawks, or TB-Pitt. If Sid could fix his bruised brains, it would be a wild one, Sid vs. stamkos, but even so, it'll be good.

How 'bout dem Bruins... Wink

The game that was played from about 1995-2004, i.e., the Marty Brodeur and the trap era, was chippy and dump and chasey. The post lockout game, in large part thanks to Brendan Shanahan, is probably the most skill-based form of the game we've ever seen. Ovy, Sid, Stamkos, Malkin, Heatley, the Sedins, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Patty Kane, Toews, Iggy, Staal, yadayadayada? Trouble is, the game alienated a lot of folks by not addressing the lack of skill earlier, and then compounded it with the lockout, so there are tons of people left who don't recognize the quality of hockey being played right now. If you're in Edmonton, I think Mr.'s Eberle and Hall could speak to this, and I believe your arch-rival Jarome Iginla to be one of the most exciting players ever.

I think if we judge by recent standards...things are certainly more exciting than they have been. At the same time, it's a pity they haven't always kept the statistics they do now...a comparison would help. How do the number of faceoffs compare, shots etc. (Comparing to the early days...pre-1942 and pre-1917)

I think it is impossible to say for certain how the game would feel played by pre-NHL rules. Add a sweeper (7th player), remove the blue lines, no forward pass, etc. I wouldn't be opposed to adopting a bigger ice surface either.

As you can tell, I am a bit old school. As far as I am concerned, worldly matters have suffered greatly since 1910. Wink
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:30:26 AM by John of the North » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1661 on: April 17, 2011, 01:29:43 AM »

BRUINS.

How 'bout dem Bruins... Wink

I think if we judge by recent standards...things are certainly more exciting than they have been. At the same time, it's a pity they haven't always kept the statistics they do now...a comparison would help. How do the number of faceoffs compare, shots etc.

I think it is impossible to say for certain how the game would feel played by pre-NHL rules. Add a sweeper (7th player), remove the blue lines, no forward pass, etc. I wouldn't be opposed to adopting a bigger ice surface either.

As you can tell, I am a bit old school. As far as I am concerned, worldly matters have suffered greatly since 1910. Wink

I don't want to seem anti-old school, either; I have as much respect for the historical game, and interest in it, as anyone; I just think that the reality is that the one ice product is probably of a higher quality than it ever has been. Does this make it more intriguing than watching Howe v. Richard? No. I watch about 6-7 sports in all: Baseball, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Soccer (Intl, French, Russian, some EPL, the occasional MLS), Racing, some golf, but Baseball and Hockey are my two beloved sports, and I feel the same way about Baseball. We have enough documentation of the game of the past to make it fairly clear that the crop of modern players have more refined talent (and this is notwithstanding 'roids, as that turns into a whole other thing) than any prior generation, but let me watch baseball from 1940-1969 any day!

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1662 on: April 17, 2011, 02:00:35 AM »

I don't want to seem anti-old school, either; I have as much respect for the historical game, and interest in it, as anyone; I just think that the reality is that the one ice product is probably of a higher quality than it ever has been. Does this make it more intriguing than watching Howe v. Richard? No. I watch about 6-7 sports in all: Baseball, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Soccer (Intl, French, Russian, some EPL, the occasional MLS), Racing, some golf, but Baseball and Hockey are my two beloved sports, and I feel the same way about Baseball. We have enough documentation of the game of the past to make it fairly clear that the crop of modern players have more refined talent (and this is notwithstanding 'roids, as that turns into a whole other thing) than any prior generation, but let me watch baseball from 1940-1969 any day!

But "higher quality" is rather subjective. Is what we have higher quality, or do we only think it is because we never got to see what the game was like before 1917??

I certainly will admit that players today are prepared from a younger age, practice harder, have better on ice training etc. And that certain skilled moves are happening now that would never have made it into the game otherwise. I.e.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlsAIQfhfPU

It comes back to how quality is defined.

"Cooper Smeaton, a referee of the day, regarded Stewart as one of the all time greats.

"In today's game," said Smeaton back in the 1980s, "Nels would have scored 100 goals. He was terrific in front of the net, a big strong fellow who had moves like a cat. Stewart never seemed to be paying any attention to where the puck was and, if you were checking him, he'd even hold little conversation with you; but the minute he'd see the puck coming his way he'd bump you, take the puck and go off and score.""

http://montrealmaroons.blogspot.com/2008/03/nels-stewart.html

If true, Stewart would have smashed the record for goals in a season. But he didn't play in the 1980s or now, that's the problem. Also, his style of play doesn't sound too pretty. But if quality is defined by goals scored...looks like Stewart would have been quality.

Of course, the record for goals scored in one season post-lockout by one player is Ovechkin with 75 in 07-08, tied for 23rd on the list.

Don't get me wrong. I think watching a team ice the puck 80 times a game to protect a one goal lead would have been pretty boring, before they instituted the icing rule. But I'm not sure it would be fair to the game to say one era has higher quality than the other. Who knows, if it was possible to combine modern-day off-ice conditioning with old-school rules...our players may be even better than they are now.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1663 on: April 21, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »

Remaking Fox Sports channels into "Root Sports" is, was, and ever will be a supremely dumb idea. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Large Marge sent me...
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1664 on: April 23, 2011, 11:11:56 PM »

BRUUUUUIIIIIINS!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow.

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: