OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:21:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 391823 times) Average Rating: 5
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1125 on: April 23, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »

PtA

Just letting you know, baseball is actually growing on me a bit.  Still can't make it through an entire game, but I'll sit and watch a few innings.

Gebre

Doesn't matter, the rules keep on changing in the NFL with regards to hits on the QB; McNabb has nothing to fear because anything more than a two-hand-touch will draw a 15 yard penalty. Nevertheless I do expect the Skins to make it to the playoffs this season.  I know the Redskins O-line takes a lot of the blame for the Skins' terrible season last year but Campbell 1. Fears to throw the ball down field, 2. Is predictable and 3. Goes through his progressions WAY TO SLOW!  I'm expecting Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas to have their best season in the NFL this coming season, and the building of a new star in Marko Mitchell (espcially in the red-zone).  If you're playing fantasy, Mitchell is defintly someone to pick (imo anyways).

Finally, GO CAPS!
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1126 on: April 23, 2010, 11:10:44 AM »

Correction, the baseball statment was for ytterbiumanalyst not PtA.  Well, back to retirement.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1127 on: April 23, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »

Correction, the baseball statment was for ytterbiumanalyst not PtA.  Well, back to retirement.
I do follow Major League Baseball, but I don't have a TV, and I'm so far away from any MLB stadium--the closest being Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners, a 200+ mile drive north of Portland, OR--that I really don't have any opportunity to watch any games live.  If I could, I'd watch the Mariners just to watch their center fielder, Ichiro, play.  I read about one catch he made in a spring training game where he ran down from shallow center field a long fly ball hit directly over his shoulder, neither to his right nor to his left, and made a leaping, diving, tumbling catch that left even him impressed.  Ichiro doesn't get impressed easily with his play, since he's won nine Gold Gloves as an outfielder.  Spring training or not, virtually everyone in the stadium had his jaw drop at seeing that play.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:28:22 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1128 on: April 23, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »

Just letting you know, baseball is actually growing on me a bit.  Still can't make it through an entire game, but I'll sit and watch a few innings.
Good to hear. A lot of people complain that for much of the game, nothing happens--but then they'll go and watch American football, in which very little action is squeezed in between hours of nothing. So why can people stand to wait twenty seconds before a hike, but not the same twenty seconds before a windup? It's really all personal preference; I don't buy the "nothing happens" line.

I'm not saying you've argued that; it's just the most common argument I hear for why people don't like baseball.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1129 on: April 23, 2010, 02:29:26 PM »

Correction, the baseball statment was for ytterbiumanalyst not PtA.  Well, back to retirement.
I do follow Major League Baseball, but I don't have a TV, and I'm so far away from any MLB stadium--the closest being Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners, a 200+ mile drive north of Portland, OR--that I really don't have any opportunity to watch any games live.  If I could, I'd watch the Mariners just to watch their center fielder, Ichiro, play.  I read about one catch he made in a spring training game where he ran down from shallow center field a long fly ball hit directly over his shoulder, neither to his right nor to his left, and made a leaping, diving, tumbling catch that left even him impressed.  Ichiro doesn't get impressed easily with his play, since he's won nine Gold Gloves as an outfielder.  Spring training or not, virtually everyone in the stadium had his jaw drop at seeing that play.

You do have the Portland Beavers!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1130 on: April 23, 2010, 07:20:26 PM »

You do have the Portland Beavers!
But they're AAA--one level below the Major Leagues, but Minor League, nonetheless.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1131 on: April 23, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »

But they're AAA--one level below the Major Leagues, but Minor League, nonetheless.

So how is that different than what we get in Pittsburgh?  Tongue

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1132 on: April 23, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »

The Beavers are better.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1133 on: April 23, 2010, 10:19:45 PM »

Terrence "Mt." Cody was drafted by the Ravens in the second round to bolster their defensive line (and maybe block a FG or PAT once in awhile).   Smiley

Tight End Ed (correct name?) Dickson from Oregon went to Ravens in the third round.   Smiley
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1134 on: April 23, 2010, 11:05:42 PM »

Terrence "Mt." Cody was drafted by the Ravens in the second round to bolster their defensive line (and maybe block a FG or PAT once in awhile).   Smiley

Tight End Ed (correct name?) Dickson from Oregon went to Ravens in the third round.   Smiley
Yup.  That's the correct name.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1135 on: April 23, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »

or in Baltimore ... 2-15 to start the season including losers of 14 of their last 15 - almost as futile as their 1-21 start in 1988.   Undecided
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1136 on: April 24, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »

Can't believe Bradford went # 1.  I expect him to be another Ryan Leaf or Chris Weinke.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1137 on: April 24, 2010, 04:04:05 PM »

Can't believe Bradford went # 1.  I expect him to be another Ryan Leaf or Chris Weinke.
Why?
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1138 on: April 24, 2010, 04:59:35 PM »

I can't believe Jimmy Clausen fell to #48.  Less money, fewer expectations and less pressure in Carolina, better results?
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1139 on: April 24, 2010, 11:18:54 PM »

The O's fall to 2-16 after 2 relief pitchers each give up 3 run HR's to the Red Sox in the 7th inning.   Sad
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1140 on: April 25, 2010, 04:10:05 AM »

The O's fall to 2-16 after 2 relief pitchers each give up 3 run HR's to the Red Sox in the 7th inning.   Sad
Time to call out the boo birds?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1141 on: April 25, 2010, 05:01:29 PM »

Man, I feel for your pitcher, Chris Jakubauskas. Tongue  Clocked in the head by a line drive off the bat of Lance Berkman!  OUCH!!! Shocked
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1142 on: April 26, 2010, 02:15:50 AM »

Time to call out the boo birds?

Civic pride comes into play when a team starts off 3-16.  I was lambasting the O's the first 2 weeks of the season until I saw on TV all the raw talent going to waste and the Nationals having an almost .500 record.   Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1143 on: April 29, 2010, 01:49:44 AM »

Capitals lost!  Cheesy

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1144 on: April 29, 2010, 02:54:26 PM »

It's not just people from Steeler Country that dislike Cleveland teams...

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1145 on: April 29, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »

Capitals lost!  Cheesy

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! Angry
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1146 on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »

Capitals lost!  Cheesy

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! Angry
no, the capitals lost. we must use only lowercase letters now.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1147 on: May 03, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »

For those of you who have never seen a Pittsburgh Pirates game, here is a pic of what one looks like...

Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1148 on: May 03, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »

Aha!  Something for the Washington Nationals to take comfort in.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1149 on: May 09, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »

sweet victory.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1150 on: May 09, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »

Just read this news blurb about Oakland A's pitcher Dallas Braden pitching the 19th perfect game in Major League history:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300509111&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

First for the A's since Jim "Catfish" Hunter threw one 42 years and one day ago.

Of course, this gem makes the second time in less than a year that the Tampa Bay Rays found themselves on the losing end of a perfect game--Mark Buehrle of the White Sox threw one against the Rays last July.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:48:26 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1151 on: May 12, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »

There have been recent rumblings in the NCAA to the effect that the misnomered Big Ten wishes to expand to as many as 16 teams.   Very interesting:  the last time anyone tried this was more than 20 years ago, when the WAC expanded into a 16-team league that stretched all the way from Texas to Hawaii.  That grand experiment came a cropper, leaving today's WAC and Mountain West in a parlous state, subpar to the Pac 10 and the comferences in the eastern half of the country.  Would the Big Ten really want to risk repeating such a blunder?

Folks, the optimum number of members for a BCS football conference is TWELVE.  Drum that into your heads:  TWELVE.  The SEC, ACC, and Big XII have proven that this configurarion works best (every school plays every other school in its division every year, and every school in the other division every other year), and they get to have a playoff game between the two division leaders.  The configuration also leaves plenty of room for inter-conference games in a 12-game season.

If the Biog Ten is wise, they'll work like Gambusters to take in Notre Dame, and spend a few years digesting that.  And maybe change the conference name to the Big North.

Of course, that will leave the anomaly of the Pac-10, a conference which has refused to take in geographically local/logical schools on the grounds that they're bad academic fits (!), as if academics really has anything to do with athletics.  If the Big Ten expanding raises visions of chaos in college football, expansion of the Pac-10 should make everyone all the way from LA to New York quake in his boots; somewhere, the Pac-10 will have to find two more teams from the ranks of big state universities, and that's going to cause a major churning of conference allignments, beginning in the west and working its way eastward that would make an over-greedy Big Ten look like a Sunday-school picnic.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1152 on: May 13, 2010, 11:33:59 PM »

Will a Cleveland pro sports team ever bring home a national championship?  Not this year.

Will the Cavaliers' window slam shut this summer?  We'll see...
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1153 on: May 15, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »

PTA

The Cleveland Browns won the NFL Championship 50, 54, 55, and 64, so a Cleveland pro sports team has already brought home a national championshop. 
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1154 on: May 15, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »

PTA

The Cleveland Browns won the NFL Championship 50, 54, 55, and 64, so a Cleveland pro sports team has already brought home a national championshop. 
But no team has since 1964.  It just didn't make sense within the context of my rhetorical question to acknowledge the fact that Cleveland teams did win championships before then.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1155 on: May 15, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »

PtA

No, it made sense, just giving you a hard time Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1156 on: May 20, 2010, 01:39:01 AM »

I just noticed in the box scores that Jamie Moyer is STILL pitching at 47.  If he keeps this up, he'll soon be challenging Satchel Paige for the record of oldest pitcher to pitch in a Major League game--he was 59.  (The one thing Moyer has going for him is that no one has ever been better at throwing slow pitch baseball.  His repertoire has always consisted of slow, slower, and slowest.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:40:27 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
sodr2

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

القديس الانبا رويس

« Reply #1157 on: May 21, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »

first, it was hockey: all my friends were fans, knew all the players, etc making me feel left out...then it was soccer (family & other friends)...then basketball ....and now:

BASEBALL!?!

ha ho! you're too much, o life

"Happiness depends on the relationship between man and God." Pope Shenouda III
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1158 on: May 23, 2010, 01:55:53 AM »

First, there was Miroslav Šatan of the Boston Bruins (NHL).  Then there was Angel Pagan, who just recently hit an inside-the-park home run and started a triple play in the same game for the New York Mets.  Now to that list of pro athletes with really bad names, I add the following Phillies relief pitcher, Antonio Bastardo. Tongue  I'm not making this stuff up.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:57:06 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1159 on: May 30, 2010, 12:42:23 AM »

Just read this news blurb about Oakland A's pitcher Dallas Braden pitching the 19th perfect game in Major League history:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300509111&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

First for the A's since Jim "Catfish" Hunter threw one 42 years and one day ago.

Of course, this gem makes the second time in less than a year that the Tampa Bay Rays found themselves on the losing end of a perfect game--Mark Buehrle of the White Sox threw one against the Rays last July.
And not even three weeks later, Phillie pitcher Roy Halladay duplicates Braden's feat with a perfecto of his own.  The first time in the modern era (since 1900) that two perfect games were pitched in the same season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300529128
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1160 on: May 30, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »

Lakers vs Celtics...West Coast vs East Coast, the Zen Master vs Doc

Excellente...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:23:27 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1161 on: May 31, 2010, 12:54:54 AM »

Considering we could have easily had Phoenix vs. Orlando, the TV moguls must be breathing one great sigh of relief.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1162 on: May 31, 2010, 12:58:01 AM »

Lakers vs Celtics...West Coast vs East Coast, the Zen Master vs Doc

Excellente...

Should be a great series, although I don't like either team. I guess I'll just sit back a enjoy some great basketball. But I'll probably lean towards the Celtics. I just don't like Kobe. I respect his ability, but he's always annoyed me somehow.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1163 on: May 31, 2010, 03:08:02 AM »

I'm sure the Lakers still remember their utter humiliation at the hands of the Celtics in the clinching game of the 2008 NBA finals.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1164 on: May 31, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »

Where is that heated smack talk 'bout them Blackhawks vs Flyers...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1165 on: May 31, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »

Where is that heated smack talk 'bout them Blackhawks vs Flyers...
I like the fact the Flyers did to Boston what Boston did to the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS:  come back to win their best-of-7 playoff series after losing the first three games.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:44:59 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1166 on: May 31, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »

^ Guess you know that I'm going with the Blackhawks...

it's not revenge that I'm seeking, no it's a reckoning....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:45:19 PM by Jakub » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1167 on: May 31, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »

First, there was Miroslav Šatan of the Boston Bruins (NHL).  Then there was Angel Pagan, who just recently hit an inside-the-park home run and started a triple play in the same game for the New York Mets.  Now to that list of pro athletes with really bad names, I add the following Phillies relief pitcher, Antonio Bastardo. Tongue  I'm not making this stuff up.
Don't forget Milton Bradley and Coco Crisp.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1168 on: May 31, 2010, 10:29:15 PM »

Milton Bradley is a nut case...teams that sign him are just as nutzzz

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1169 on: May 31, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »

Milton Bradley is a nut case...teams that sign him are just as nutzzz

Yeah, the last two for whom he played are both of my two favorite teams:  the Mariners and the Cubs. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:07:26 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: