OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 391614 times) Average Rating: 5
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1035 on: January 25, 2010, 11:57:18 PM »

So back to real sports...What do y'all think of Shani Davis' chances this year? I've seen a bit of his skating, and I am very impressed.

You have ice in the Ozarks?  I figured no one outside of areas with plentiful ice cared about skating.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:57:38 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1036 on: January 27, 2010, 02:30:46 PM »

So back to real sports...What do y'all think of Shani Davis' chances this year? I've seen a bit of his skating, and I am very impressed.

You have ice in the Ozarks?  I figured no one outside of areas with plentiful ice cared about skating.
We have ice indoors. The outdoor ice melts too frequently to have any outdoor skating. Springfield has a two-rink ice park downtown, and our Missouri State Bears hockey team draws a decent crowd, as does the independent "professional" team Springfield Spirit. We've got quite a lot of St. Louis Blues fans as well. All forms of ice sports are rather popular here.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1037 on: January 27, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »

We have ice indoors. The outdoor ice melts too frequently to have any outdoor skating. Springfield has a two-rink ice park downtown, and our Missouri State Bears hockey team draws a decent crowd, as does the independent "professional" team Springfield Spirit. We've got quite a lot of St. Louis Blues fans as well. All forms of ice sports are rather popular here.
Well, we now have an Olympic bobsled team from Jamaica and pro hockey teams in Florida. Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1038 on: January 27, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »

Olympic bobsled team from Jamaica

Funny movie

and pro hockey teams in Florida

Funny concept. Wink

St. Basil is great!

Wonder if he drank goat's milk . . .

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1039 on: January 28, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »

Well, we now have an Olympic bobsled team from Jamaica and pro hockey teams in Florida. Wink
Actually, I heard a report that since the strike, hockey's popularity is growing fastest among Hispanics. Who knows? One day we may have a hall of famer named Velasquez.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1040 on: January 28, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »

Can Jai Alai be played on skates in a rink?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1041 on: January 28, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »

Can Jai Alai be played on skates in a rink?
laugh I'd like to see that one.

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1042 on: January 30, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/01/Ravens_Hire_Zorn_as_QB_Coach.aspx

Well, doesn't look like Zorn is moving from the D.C. metropolitan area.  Good for him in landing the new job.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1043 on: January 31, 2010, 12:23:52 AM »

Ravens will redeem Zorn as they did with Cameron.  No autocrats exist in Ravens organization since Bisciotti is as hands free as someone wearing a Bluetooth in his ear.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #1044 on: January 31, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308295
Mario Lemieux made a very serious offer to buy the 17 season losing Pirates. Would it be ok to put this in the prayer forum? Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1045 on: February 01, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308295
Mario Lemieux made a very serious offer to buy the 17 season losing Pirates. Would it be ok to put this in the prayer forum? Wink

Yeah, I saw that in one of the Pittsburgh papers. My only question is... why would he want them? Shocked

St. Basil is great!

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #1046 on: February 01, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »

^Since he was a tiny boy he has wanted to fight against bad pirates?

He found them on a clearance rack at a Sewickley garage sale?

He wants to prevent the Pirates from being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs forever? 

He is on a crusade to find a cure for Leukemia and also Major Depression in Pirate’s Fans?

On spring and summer days, the Pirates’ smell floats all the way over to his house across town?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1047 on: February 06, 2010, 11:58:43 AM »

Anyone getting UFC 109? I like Couture, but I'm not sure whether there's really enough to justify my getting this.

St. Basil is great!

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1048 on: February 07, 2010, 11:26:14 PM »

Asteriktos

For UFC having nearly a monopoly with regards to MMA talent, they sure aren't staking their cards (man I miss PrideFC sooooo much; sure only 7-8 cards a year, but the cards were stacked).  I won't pay for pay per views ever again (well I never have purchase one, got a friend to get 104 a few months ago); it's crazy that most countries around the world practically get the UFC for free (or pay a small price for ESPN), while Americans are expected to fork over 50 dollars to watch the events live.
Go to your local sports bar with a friend or two, pay the small cover fee (if there is one) and enjoy a meal and a few beers for far less than the pay per view price. 
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1049 on: February 07, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »

SUPER BOWL XLIV Final Score: Saints 31 Colts 17.
Even with this loss Manning, in my opinion, is still the best QB to ever play in the NFL. 
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1050 on: February 08, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »

Like them Who Dats...Brees had better stats than Manning this year, and 1st Texan born QB to win a Super Bowl...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1051 on: February 08, 2010, 02:01:31 AM »

What's the likelihood that one player, Tracy Porter, would snatch interceptions that would have such a major effect on the outcomes of two consecutive games in one postseason?

The pick on Brett Favre that killed Minnesota's potential last-minute winning drive and the pick-6 that effectively buried the Colts.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1052 on: February 08, 2010, 03:44:28 AM »

What's the likelihood that one player, Tracy Porter, would snatch interceptions that would have such a major effect on the outcomes of two consecutive games in one postseason?

The pick on Brett Favre that killed Minnesota's potential last-minute winning drive and the pick-6 that effectively buried the Colts.

The Saints studied every Colts/Ravens game and Porter looked like a healthy Ed Reed on that play.   Smiley  I may not like the Ravens and I recognize individual talent like Ed Reed.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1053 on: February 08, 2010, 05:02:42 AM »

It's gonna be a long Mardis Gras this year! I don't care much for the NFL, but I'm sooo excited for the Saints and for the city of New Orleans. It was a great Super Bowl. I'm only 3 hours north of New Orleans, and as I post this the fire works are still going off outside here in Jackson, Mississippi!

Sean Peyton coached that game like a college coach. I loved that he went for it on 4th down right before the half. Even though they didn't convert, it still paid off a minute and a half later. And what an unbelievable call to open the 2nd half with an onside kick! Awesome! Completely uncharacteristic for an NFL coach. I loved it!

I also give credit to the Colts. A classy team and a classy coach. They'll have to be reckoned with for years to come. And I love the way Joseph Addai runs the football. Can anyone guess who his college coach was Wink?

WHO DAT ??!!!! Smiley  "Ain'ts" No More!

Selam

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:04:58 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1054 on: February 09, 2010, 02:49:03 AM »

Asteriktos

I also feel I should state that since PrideFC died, my interest in watching (not practicing) MMA has decreased quite a bit (i really only follow my favorite fighters).  As the years have progressed and the rules have become more watered down, I really feel MMA has moved away from its roots (i.e. practical fighting techniques usable on the streets) to a combat sport where some of the techniques would by quite dangerous in a real life situation (for example pushing your opponent against the cage and then shooting in for a double leg takedown, having your entire back and neck exposed; it is allowed in MMA but in the street it leaves one open for the reception of strikes to the back). 
Some may think my views are uncivilized, but I believe there should only be 2 rules in MMA: no bitting and no eye gouges (also, no weight classes and no gloves).  Naturally, I know the history of McCain vs. MMA, and MMA needed to add more rules to stay alive; but the excitement of seeing a true vale tudo match are unfortunately gone (perhaps forever).
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1055 on: February 09, 2010, 02:58:16 AM »

Even with this loss Manning, in my opinion, is still the best QB to ever play in the NFL. 

Both Manning and Favre have a lot of similarities, staring with one Lombardi and a tendency to throw picks at crucial moments.

Favre has Wrangler Jeans.  Manning has Double Stuffed Oreos.   laugh

I'm still waiting for the all-Manning Super Bowl - Colts vs. Giants.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1056 on: February 09, 2010, 03:00:40 AM »

There's nothing like watching K-1; better than MMA, IMO.  The one time I saw rebroadcasts had me hooked.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1057 on: February 09, 2010, 03:17:39 AM »

SolEX01

Haven't watched too much K-1, though I am familiar with a few K-1 fighters (specifically Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Mark Hunt, and Jerome Le Banner) but I don't have the patience for it.  I prefer Muay Thai and San Shou over K-1, because everytime there is any clinch in K-1 the ref breaks it up (in Muay Thai the clinch is allowed for the throwing of knees, and grappling for the sake of throws is allowed in K-1).
With that said, I have started paying attention to competitions outside of MMA.  Watching a judo or jiu-jitsu match is far more enjoyable for me now-a-days to watch in comparison to watching wrestlers lay and pray themselves to victory in MMA.
Although dead, I would encourage you to watch a few of the old PrideFC fights.  PrideFC, like K-1, was based in Japan (in fact, they held a cross promotion card one time where stars from both organizations fought each other; event had around 90,000 attendents) and was a much more exciting version of MMA than the current UFC and Strikeforce.  Plus, the production value was simply awesome.  Here is a taste, the entrance and staredown (perhaps the most legendary staredown in MMA history) between Mirko Cro Cop and Wanderlei Silva a few years back; brings a tear to my eyes of what MMA has become Cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJYw5JT1PMI
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1058 on: February 09, 2010, 04:53:14 AM »

Both Manning and Favre have a lot of similarities, staring with one Lombardi and a tendency to throw picks at crucial moments.
How many times has Manning thrown a pick at a crucial moment?  If his pick Sunday was the only time, then how can you call this a tendency?  Do a little research and you'll find that Manning has thrown interceptions on a lower percentage of his pass attempts in the playoffs than Joe Montana.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1059 on: February 09, 2010, 10:32:56 AM »

How many times has Manning thrown a pick at a crucial moment?  If his pick Sunday was the only time, then how can you call this a tendency?  Do a little research and you'll find that Manning has thrown interceptions on a lower percentage of his pass attempts in the playoffs than Joe Montana.

Manning threw a lot of picks for Tennessee at crucial situations.

Who has the better postseason W-L record: Manning (9-9) or Montana (16-7)?  I rest my case.   Wink  Montana defeated these QBs: Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Jim Kelly and John Elway.  Manning ... Rex Grossman.

For the top 10 NFL Postseason QBs, visit here.  Elway is on the list.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1060 on: February 09, 2010, 01:24:46 PM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/roger-goodell-3-point-stance-020710

How many more rule changes Goddell?  I don't know, I might follow the lead of Gebre Menfes Kidus and watch college ball exclusively, this is really starting to get ridiculous.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1061 on: February 09, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »

Manning threw a lot of picks for Tennessee at crucial situations.
Name three of those situations.  Again, one situation by itself does not prove a tendency.

Who has the better postseason W-L record: Manning (9-9) or Montana (16-7)?  I rest my case.   Wink
And here I come to shoot down your case.  Football is a team sport, a TEAM SPORT, I tell you.  No one player is solely responsible for whether his team wins or loses.  Therefore, the QB very often gets too much of the credit when his team wins and too much of the blame when his team loses.  IOW, a QB's W-L record is vastly overrated as a statistical measure of a QB's effectiveness.

Teams QB'ed by Montana defeated teams QB'ed by these QBs: Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Jim Kelly and John Elway.  Manning ... Rex Grossman.
There.  Fixed that for you.

In addition, you're overlooking those playoff games where the only reason Manning's team didn't beat the other QB's team in the Super Bowl is because they played in the same conference--for instance, Tom Brady.  (Interesting that Brady QB'ed the losing team in playoff games against both Mannings...)

For the top 10 NFL Postseason QBs, visit here.  Elway is on the list.
You're merely citing someone else's opinion, though.  I prefer to go somewhere like www.pro-football-reference.com and conduct my own statistical analysis.

FWIW, I mean nothing in the above few posts to disparage the legacy of Joe Montana, whom I credit as the best QB, and one of the three best players at any position, ever to play in the NFL.  I just cited his record as a baseline for comparison on one or two key stats.  I never intended to make any case that Manning is somehow equal to or better than Montana in any way.  Peyton Manning is truly one of the greatest QB's to play the game, but Joe Montana simply set the bar for "greatest ever" so high that Manning still has a lot to do to reach it.  I thought that before the Super Bowl two days ago, so his untimely interception does nothing to change my opinion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1062 on: February 09, 2010, 04:58:18 PM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/roger-goodell-3-point-stance-020710

How many more rule changes Goddell?  I don't know, I might follow the lead of Gebre Menfes Kidus and watch college ball exclusively, this is really starting to get ridiculous.
How so?  I can understand complaints about rules Goodell has established to regulate "excessive" celebrations and the like that have made the NFL into the "No Fun League" for many players, but this rule he's proposing against the three-point stance is an attempt to make the game safer by reducing the risk of concussions.  You may still argue with the rule, that it's probably not the best way to accomplish his goal, but how can you argue with the motivation?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:05:49 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1063 on: February 09, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »

PtA

I'm all for the safety of NFL players, and although I haven't done much research on the subject most of the concussions I hear about either deal with QBs, running backs/full backs (Portis and Westbrook come to mind from this past season), or defensive backs (Polamalu this past season as well) but rarely if ever do I hear of players on the offensive and defensive line suffering concussions. 
I've only played organized football once in my life (when I was 10 years old) so I am not too familiar with the best technique for defensive linemen to rush the QB, but the three point stance seems to be one of if not the best technique to explode off the line to attack the QB.  With this technique banned, the NFL just adds another rule to help cripple the defense in favor of the offense in the NFL. 
This rule by itself isn't enough to turn me away from the NFL but Goddell seems to have a handful of rule changes every offseason (again, usually crippling the defense in favor of the offense) in addition to other things Goddell has done (implementing the "black outs" during a recession, talks of extending the season, talks of penalizing playoff teams who rest their starters during week 17 of the season, and talks of holding two games as well as the Super Bowl in London in the near future) and these rule changes are becoming quite tiresome.
What the NFL has become under Mr. Goddell:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKiv2H2eKdc
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1064 on: February 09, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »

PtA

I'm all for the safety of NFL players, and although I haven't done much research on the subject most of the concussions I hear about either deal with QBs, running backs/full backs (Portis and Westbrook come to mind from this past season), or defensive backs (Polamalu this past season as well) but rarely if ever do I hear of players on the offensive and defensive line suffering concussions.
I'm not aware that Polamalu suffered a concussion this past year.  I am aware, though, that he's suffered seven concussions throughout his life from playing football: two in high school, three at USC, and two with the Steelers.  The injury that forced him to sit out most of the 2009-2010 season was actually a torn knee ligament.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:52:11 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1065 on: February 09, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »

Oi, i stand corrected.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1066 on: February 16, 2010, 02:38:27 AM »

Anyone looking forward to the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi?   Roll Eyes
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1067 on: February 16, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »

Anyone looking forward to the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi?   Roll Eyes
Sochi's in the long tradition of hosting the Winter Games in a place no one's ever heard of. They were doing so well, too, with Salt Lake City, Turin, and Vancouver. Why? Why go back to the hole-in-the-wall?

I was excited for Canada to win a gold, and the Americans have done pretty well, too, so far. Apolo Ohno was quite impressive, and I was happy for him--though the Korean skaters got a bad break. Shani Davis has been only mediocre so far; so much for hubris I guess.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1068 on: February 18, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »

Curling is a game, not a sport. That is all.

St. Basil is great!

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #1069 on: February 18, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »

The first report of a Curling match was between two monks in 1541.  Smiley
http://library.thinkquest.org/26974/e_index.htm
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1070 on: February 19, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »

Indeed. But it looks really fun.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1071 on: February 19, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »

I beg to differ. Smiley

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Julian Calender

« Reply #1072 on: February 19, 2010, 09:37:49 PM »

Ice hockey is the greatest sport ever, there is none greater than it.

Sadly, I wasted most of my childhood playing it, rather than practicing and learning about christianity.

It was just so fun!

But sadly, I became a spoiled fool through it all.

Doing it for my own glory, and not for the glory of God

Sports are pretty of pointless, its like we have become a culture of self-worshiping idolaters.

WE WORSHIP THE PHILIDELPHIA EAGLES, ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS EAGLES!

NO ONE IS GREATER THAN THEM!

Sports are pretty awesome, dont get me wrong, but its too worldly for us christians.

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.
There can be no compromise in matters of the Orthodox Faith.”

St Mark Of Ephesus, Doctor of the church. (True Church)

Down with ecumenism!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1073 on: February 21, 2010, 06:15:01 PM »

I beg to differ. Smiley

Yeah, maybe I was just mad because I turned the TV on expecting to see an ice hockey game. I'm an American and I demand immediate gratification!  angel

St. Basil is great!

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1074 on: February 22, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »

Sadly, I wasted most of my childhood playing it, rather than practicing and learning about christianity.

It was just so fun!

Sports are pretty of pointless, its like we have become a culture of self-worshiping idolaters.

Sports are pretty awesome, dont get me wrong, but its too worldly for us christians.
I used to think curling was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen, until I read this post. Shocked

I've been doing some thinking about this year's Olympics, and I think I've seen more crashes than clean runs. In years past, each person has done their best, and the best of all of them won the gold. Now, however, we're seeing better athletes try for the super-impressive stunt, fail, and fall out of the competition, and lesser athletes win gold, just because they can actually complete the event without crashing. I guess that begs the question of whether they are actually lesser athletes, but that's a different matter. I wonder if in the future we'll see a return to fundamentals over a desire to push the envelope.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1075 on: February 23, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »

It was just so fun!

I used to think curling was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen, until I read this post. Shocked

I've been doing some thinking about this year's Olympics, and I think I've seen more crashes than clean runs. In years past, each person has done their best, and the best of all of them won the gold. Now, however, we're seeing better athletes try for the super-impressive stunt, fail, and fall out of the competition, and lesser athletes win gold, just because they can actually complete the event without crashing. I guess that begs the question of whether they are actually lesser athletes, but that's a different matter. I wonder if in the future we'll see a return to fundamentals over a desire to push the envelope.
I don't know.  My understanding is that snowboarding has always been a sport for hot dogs.  This certainly isn't the only sport featured in the Olympics, but it has a reputation for being the most attractive to the showboaters' spirit.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1076 on: February 23, 2010, 07:43:13 AM »

It was just so fun!

I don't know.  My understanding is that snowboarding has always been a sport for hot dogs.  This certainly isn't the only sport featured in the Olympics, but it has a reputation for being the most attractive to the showboaters' spirit.
It's not just snowboarding. I've seen this sort of thing occur in aerials, figure skating, and even downhill. I don't know; some events just haven't been fun to watch because half the competitors suffer severe penalties or disqualifications.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1077 on: February 24, 2010, 04:27:31 AM »

It was just so fun!

I don't know.  My understanding is that snowboarding has always been a sport for hot dogs.  This certainly isn't the only sport featured in the Olympics, but it has a reputation for being the most attractive to the showboaters' spirit.
It's not just snowboarding. I've seen this sort of thing occur in aerials, figure skating, and even downhill. I don't know; some events just haven't been fun to watch because half the competitors suffer severe penalties or disqualifications.
Well, I just read about the 10,000m men's speed skate, where Dutchman Sven Kramer was DQ'd for not changing lanes 2/3 of the way through the race.  Evidently, he did change lanes, but his coach missed it and told him emphatically to switch back to the lane he just vacated, thinking that this was the lane change he needed to make.  Though Kramer finished the race in record time, his and his coach's monumentally stupid gaffe got him DQ'd.  WHOOPS!!! Shocked  (I've read this compared to an NFL coach yelling to his defensive end to pick up a fumble and run it into the wrong end zone in the Super Bowl.  I guess that's just how stupid this blunder was.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:30:48 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1078 on: February 24, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »

Spring training is upon us, Cleveland, Chicago, NY, Philly, AZ, Atl ...what up ?

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #1079 on: February 28, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »

Rooting for Team USA, but worried about Orpik checking Crosby.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: