OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:16:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 403549 times) Average Rating: 5
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #990 on: January 09, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »

I can vouch for women that are very knowledgeable regarding sports, my wife is and has been a big fan of the NFL & MLB for the 30 odd years of our marriage, though we follow different teams, and it has trickled down to my daughter and grandaughters...so guys beware, they can be deceptive  Wink

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #991 on: January 09, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »

I don't mind Manning winning the MVP again, but why no love for Chris Johnson? The guy did something that only a half dozen other people have ever done, and he doesn't get a single vote?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #992 on: January 09, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »

HandmaidenofGod and everyone else

Listen, for some reason people think I am attacking them in this thread (you and Gebre).  If I place a winking smily face within my post, I am being playful.  I knew you were a Jets fan for a number of months now, and I have two sisters who know more about the NFL than myself (which makes it strange that they cheer for those Bears) so I know women can be informed about football just as much as men.
I'm not a pretencious jerk trying to make anyone feel stupid.  

Huh I didn't feel that way.

Selam
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:55:42 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #993 on: January 11, 2010, 12:50:29 AM »

Ravens vs. Colts II - If 4-time NFL MVP Peyton Manning is still mad about being benched, he'll put 70 on the Ravens before Caldwell pulls him in the 3rd Quarter.

Jets vs. Chargers - Jets are Ravens 2000 team part deux.  Jets take one from Ravens playbook and beat the Chargers, hosting the Ravens in the real final game at the Meadowlands assuming that Peyton isn't benched by the 2nd Quarter and Ravens storm a comeback against Painter.

Cowboys vs. Vikings - Romo is on a roll without Jessica Simpson.  Vikings implode as dome teams usually do.

Cardinals vs. Saints - Cards win one for Warner who had game of his life against Packers.  New Orleans has taken 5 weeks off and will implode as dome teams usually do.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:11:13 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #994 on: January 11, 2010, 01:03:47 AM »

Ravens vs. Colts II - If 4-time NFL MVP Peyton is still mad about being benched, he'll put 70 on the Ravens before Caldwell pulls him in the 3rd Quarter.

Jets vs. Chargers - Jets are Ravens 2000 team part deux.  Jets take one from Ravens playbook and beat the Chargers, hosting the Ravens in the real final game at the Meadowlands assuming that Peyton isn't benched by the 2nd Quarter and Ravens storm a comeback against Painter.

Cowboys vs. Vikings - Romo is on a roll without Jessica Simpson.  Vikings implode as dome teams usually do.

Cardinals vs. Saints - Cards win one for Warner who had game of his life against Packers.  New Orleans has taken 5 weeks off and will implode as dome teams usually do.
What does playing in a dome have to do with imploding? Huh  Is the roof going to fall on them?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:04:17 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #995 on: January 11, 2010, 01:08:24 AM »

What does playing in a dome have to do with imploding? Huh  Is the roof going to fall on them?

These two dome teams have had a number of weeks where they were off or losing.

The Saints have lost 3 in a row and have had 2 weeks to think about it.

The Vikings have a 40 year old QB who usually falters in the big games.

Hence, there are two dome teams who are ripe to lose.  I didn't say anything about the Colts who play in a dome.   Roll Eyes
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #996 on: January 11, 2010, 04:29:38 AM »

What does playing in a dome have to do with imploding? Huh  Is the roof going to fall on them?

But any team can go through that kind of funk to end the season.  That has nothing to do with the Superdome.

But that's a function of the QB's age and his ability to rise up to the challenge of big games.  Besides, if Brett Favre has one downfall, it's his tendency to be boneheadedly aggressive--I don't think of him as a choker.  None of this has to do with the Metrodome, though.

Hence, there are two dome teams who are ripe to lose.
The Saints and Vikings may certainly be ripe to lose for the non-dome related reasons you point out, but I don't see you making any case that a domed stadium has anything to do with those factors.

I didn't say anything about the Colts who play in a dome.   Roll Eyes
Of course not, because they've shown that they can win a Super Bowl.

Now, what does the fact that these three teams play at least half their games in domed stadiums have to do with their prospects of postseason success? Huh  You said that dome teams usually implode in the playoffs, so I'd like to know why you think this is so.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:38:28 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #997 on: January 11, 2010, 05:00:02 AM »

What does playing in a dome have to do with imploding? Huh  Is the roof going to fall on them?

But any team can go through that kind of funk to end the season.  That has nothing to do with the Superdome.

OK, so the Superdome has no bearing.  The Saints lost to the Cowboys at home, starting a 3 game losing streak.  Teams lose momentum as evident by the Bengals and even the Patriots.  Even the Colts are in jeopardy of losing momentum especially to a team which hasn't defeated them in 12 years although I think Manning is a better QB than Tom Brady.

But that's a function of the QB's age and his ability to rise up to the challenge of big games.  Besides, if Brett Favre has one downfall, it's his tendency to be boneheadedly aggressive--I don't think of him as a choker.  None of this has to do with the Metrodome, though.

OK, I'll concede that point to you.   Wink

Hence, there are two dome teams who are ripe to lose.
The Saints and Vikings may certainly be ripe to lose for the non-dome related reasons you point out, but I don't see you making any case that a domed stadium has anything to do with those factors.

Only one dome team has won a Super Bowl and that was recently.  The Vikings have been playing in domes for quite a while and they are 0-4.  Sorry if the analogy is simplistic.   Cheesy

I didn't say anything about the Colts who play in a dome.   Roll Eyes
Of course not, because they've shown that they can win a Super Bowl.

Now, what does the fact that these three teams play at least half their games in domed stadiums have to do with their prospects of postseason success? Huh  You said that dome teams usually implode in the playoffs, so I'd like to know why you think this is so.

Commentators have been providing all kinds of theories explaining the lack of success of dome teams in the playoffs.  I believe in some of these theories, nothing more.   Huh
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #998 on: January 11, 2010, 06:14:35 AM »

Commentators have been providing all kinds of theories explaining the lack of success of dome teams in the playoffs.  I believe in some of these theories, nothing more.   Huh
Well, I think we can rule out one factor for the Saints, Colts, and Vikings this year, and that's the effect playing on the road in a cold-weather stadium might have on these teams.  The Saints and Colts are guaranteed the home field in any conference playoff game they might play, and the only way the Vikings will play outside the Metrodome this postseason (not counting the Super Bowl) is if they need to travel to the Superdome to play the Saints in the NFC championship game.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:18:07 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #999 on: January 11, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »

Vince Lombardi once said,

"There's only three important things in life: God, Your Family, and the Green Bay Packers"

Of course he was wrong about #3, we all know its the Minnesota Vikings

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1000 on: January 17, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »

Commentators have been providing all kinds of theories explaining the lack of success of dome teams in the playoffs.  I believe in some of these theories, nothing more.   Huh
Well, SolEX01, it looks as if you might have to put these theories to rest this year.  Three of the four conference championship game contestants are dome teams.  The NFC cannot avoid putting a dome team in the Super Bowl.  The Colts have to be heavily favored to beat the Jets in the AFC.  If they do, a dome team WILL win the Super Bowl.

So, here's to you:   Tongue THBPTHBPTHBPFT!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:04:04 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1001 on: January 17, 2010, 09:23:21 PM »

Well, SolEX01, it looks as if you might have to put these theories to rest this year.  Three of the four conference championship game contestants are dome teams.  The NFC cannot avoid putting a dome team in the Super Bowl.  The Colts have to be heavily favored to beat the Jets in the AFC.  If they do, a dome team WILL win the Super Bowl.

So, here's to you:   Tongue THBPTHBPTHBPFT!!!

Fair enough.   Grin

Teams owned by Greek-Americans, except for NHL teams, tend to implode in the playoffs, e.g. the San Diego Chargers, Baltimore Orioles.  Wink    The NHL's Carolina Hurricanes is owned by a Greek-American with a Stanley Cup in the display case.  The Washington Capitals, owned by another Greek-American, are always in the Stanley Cup hunt.

Oh well, you can't win them all.   angel  Now to post the Conference Championship analysis.   Smiley
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1002 on: January 17, 2010, 09:29:06 PM »

Vikings vs. Saints - Brett Favre has 37 TDs vs. 7 INTs.  Saints have no defense.  Saints have never been to Super Bowl.  Saints deserve a trip to Super Bowl.  If the Saints wind up knocking one old QB into retirement, they will try to knock another old QB into retirement; hence, the Saints pack their bags for Miami.

Jets vs. Colts - Recall Super Bowl III, an upstart Joe Namath knocked off Johnny Unitas and the favored by 19 points Colts. 

Now, substitute Mark Sanchez for Joe Namath and Peyton Manning for Johnny Unitas and the Jets pack their bags for Miami on February 7 whether the Colts are favored by 4 or 24 points.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1003 on: January 17, 2010, 09:45:18 PM »

Vikings vs. Saints - Brett Favre has 37 TDs vs. 7 INTs.  Saints have no defense.  Saints have never been to Super Bowl.  Saints deserve a trip to Super Bowl.  If the Saints wind up knocking one old QB into retirement, they will try to knock another old QB into retirement; hence, the Saints pack their bags for Miami.

Jets vs. Colts - Recall Super Bowl III, an upstart Joe Namath knocked off Johnny Unitas and the favored by 19 points Colts. 

Now, substitute Mark Sanchez for Joe Namath and Peyton Manning for Johnny Unitas and the Jets pack their bags for Miami on February 7 whether the Colts are favored by 4 or 24 points.

You picked exactly the opposite teams that I would pick  Kiss

Was sorry to see the Jets get by, as I strongly dislike them. Not that I like the Chargers, and I dislike Rivers in particular. Come to think of it, out of those two teams, the only player I really like is Sproles. Oh well, at least the Cowboys lost.  Smiley

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1004 on: January 17, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »

Sometimes, going against popular consensus works.  I learned that lesson in 1985 when I lost 50 sheets of notebook paper when Villanova defeated Georgetown in the NCAA Basketball Tourney and I reluctantly paid up to a 8th grader friend of mine.  That was when I swore off betting anything on sporting events....
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1005 on: January 18, 2010, 05:30:02 AM »

As an Alabama Crimson Tide fan, I must applaud Tim Tebow and his family for utilizing his fame to promote the cause of LIFE. (See article below.) I wish more star athletes who openly promote their Christian faith would take a stand for "the least of these." I hope Tebow's efforts will inspire others.

BTW, I just love how the media can never bring themselves to say "Pro-Life." They always have to say "anti-abortion."

Selam

Tebow to appear in Super Bowl commercial
Jan 16, 2:06 pm EST

Buzz up! PrintGAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Tim Tebow is taking his star power to sport’s biggest stage.

The former Florida quarterback and his mother will appear in a 30-second commercial during the Super Bowl next month. The Christian group Focus on the Family says the Tebows will share a personal story centering on the theme “Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life.”

The group isn’t releasing details, but the commercial is likely to be an anti-abortion message chronicling Pam Tebow’s 1987 pregnancy. After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim.

The 2007 Heisman Trophy winner ended his college career with several NCAA, Southeastern Conference and school records, and two national championships. Tebow also has been very involved in his family’s Christian-based ministry.

Jim Daly, president and CEO of Focus on the Family, said the commercial comes at a time when “families need to be inspired.”

“Tim and Pam share our respect for life and our passion for helping families thrive,” Daly said. “Focus on the Family is about … strengthening families by empowering them with the tools they need to live lives rooted in morals and values.”

Thirty-second commercials during the Super Bowl are selling for between $2.5 million and $2.8 million. Daly said all the funds for the ad came from a handful of “very generous and committed friends,” and that no money from the group’s general fund was used.

“Now that the ad has been shot, we’re excited to tell people it’s coming because the Tebows’ story is such an important one for our culture to hear,” he said. “You won’t want to miss it.”
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:30:34 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1006 on: January 18, 2010, 06:03:36 AM »

As an Alabama Crimson Tide fan, I must applaud Tim Tebow and his family for utilizing his fame to promote the cause of LIFE. (See article below.) I wish more star athletes who openly promote their Christian faith would take a stand for "the least of these." I hope Tebow's efforts will inspire others.

BTW, I just love how the media can never bring themselves to say "Pro-Life." They always have to say "anti-abortion."

Selam

Buzz up! PrintGAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Tim Tebow is taking his star power to sport’s biggest stage.

The former Florida quarterback and his mother will appear in a 30-second commercial during the Super Bowl next month. The Christian group Focus on the Family says the Tebows will share a personal story centering on the theme “Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life.”

The group isn’t releasing details, but the commercial is likely to be an anti-abortion message chronicling Pam Tebow’s 1987 pregnancy. After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim.

The 2007 Heisman Trophy winner ended his college career with several NCAA, Southeastern Conference and school records, and two national championships. Tebow also has been very involved in his family’s Christian-based ministry.

Jim Daly, president and CEO of Focus on the Family, said the commercial comes at a time when “families need to be inspired.”

“Tim and Pam share our respect for life and our passion for helping families thrive,” Daly said. “Focus on the Family is about … strengthening families by empowering them with the tools they need to live lives rooted in morals and values.”

Thirty-second commercials during the Super Bowl are selling for between $2.5 million and $2.8 million. Daly said all the funds for the ad came from a handful of “very generous and committed friends,” and that no money from the group’s general fund was used.

“Now that the ad has been shot, we’re excited to tell people it’s coming because the Tebows’ story is such an important one for our culture to hear,” he said. “You won’t want to miss it.”

Just to be safe, commentary bordering on politics moved to the Politics thread started with a cross-post of the above article (Tim Tebow's Pro-Life Superbowl Commercial).  If anyone feels they can speak on the above post with enough self control to refrain from discussing the politics of abortion, have at it.  As always, though, political discussion needs to go to Politics.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1007 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »

Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl -- Like or Dislike?

I like the idea of it being before the Super Bowl. It always seemed so anticlimactic to have it after the Super Bowl, and frankly, I totally forgot about it half the time.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1008 on: January 18, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »

Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl -- Like or Dislike?

I like the idea of it being before the Super Bowl. It always seemed so anticlimactic to have it after the Super Bowl, and frankly, I totally forgot about it half the time.
Don't like the idea.  The high-impact nature of the sport makes the likelihood of sustaining injuries in an all-star game like the Pro Bowl much higher than in other sports like baseball or basketball.  Would a franchise in contention for a playoff berth want to risk losing their star player to an injury he might suffer during a mid-season playing of the Pro Bowl?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1009 on: January 19, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »

Selam

Hmm. Interesting. I'm not sure how much of the Super Bowl audience, being mostly middle-aged men, is within the target demographic for anti-abortion adverts, but it can't hurt. It's a heck of a lot of money to spend, but it's a cause he apparently believes in and a good cause to support.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1010 on: January 19, 2010, 01:44:23 AM »

Selam

Hmm. Interesting. I'm not sure how much of the Super Bowl audience, being mostly middle-aged men, is within the target demographic for anti-abortion adverts, but it can't hurt. It's a heck of a lot of money to spend, but it's a cause he apparently believes in and a good cause to support.
I can indeed support such an ad as this from just my own personal experience.  One of my college friends was just such a person as Tim Tebow.  Listening to my friend's father speak at a major Amway convention--he happened to be a Triple Diamond Direct Distributor in the business, so he was pretty well-to-do--I learned that my friend's mother faced a life-threatening illness that led a doctor to recommend that she abort her pregnancy.  She said no.  I went to college with the daughter (and friend) born out of that decision.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1011 on: January 19, 2010, 02:55:54 AM »

Selam

I can indeed support such an ad as this from just my own personal experience.  One of my college friends was just such a person as Tim Tebow.  Listening to my friend's father speak at a major Amway convention--he happened to be a Triple Diamond Direct Distributor in the business, so he was pretty well-to-do--I learned that my friend's mother faced a life-threatening illness that led a doctor to recommend that she abort her pregnancy.  She said no.  I went to college with the daughter (and friend) born out of that decision.

A beautiful testimony. Glory to God! Smiley

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1012 on: January 24, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »

It's official!  A team that plays its home games in a domed stadium will win the Super Bowl.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1013 on: January 24, 2010, 11:45:44 PM »

On a undomed field...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1014 on: January 24, 2010, 11:47:51 PM »

Colts vs. Saints in Super Bowl LXIV:  Who will win?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1015 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »

I thought for sure the old man would make it. Not that I'm a fan of his, just what I thought would happen. *shrugs* Oh well.

As to the Super Bowl... I dunno, I'm torn on that one. I could go either way. I guess I'll go with the Colts winning in a close one, maybe 28-24.

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #1016 on: January 25, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »

It's official!  A team that plays its home games in a domed stadium will win the Super Bowl.
Rather....referees will feign blindness to help New Orleans in their stadium.
In the 4th Q, there was a pass that was clearly not in full control by the Saint's receiver, but the refs called that play in the Saint's favor.  Reggie Bush's touchdown earlier in the game, when he was knocked out of bounds at the goal line, was also  questionable.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:08:46 AM by ms.hoorah » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1017 on: January 25, 2010, 12:09:41 AM »

It's official!  A team that plays its home games in a domed stadium will win the Super Bowl.
Oh, boo hoo! Cry  The Saints won fair and square, and you know it.  If the Old Man hadn't thrown another one of those endgame drive-killing interceptions that seem to have plagued his whole career in the playoffs, maybe the Viks would have won.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:10:16 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1018 on: January 25, 2010, 12:27:22 AM »

Saints over Colts in SB XLIV

Favre needs to return to the farm and make more Wrangler Jeans commercials.  Mr. "Pants on the Ground" could have run 5 yards and given his team a chance to try a game winning field goal.  No, Favre had to throw a pick against his body.  Suits him.

Who wants a 41 year old Favre to lead them to a Championship Game?   Huh  There's always Canada.   Roll Eyes
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1019 on: January 25, 2010, 12:31:20 AM »

There's always Canada.   Roll Eyes

Low blow...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1020 on: January 25, 2010, 12:51:07 AM »

Low blow...

Not exactly.  What CFL team wouldn't want an egotistical 41 year old QB to lead them to the Grey Cup?   Huh

What NFL team wants #4 after his performance in the past 2 NFC Championship Games?
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #1021 on: January 25, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »

Oh, boo hoo! Cry  The Saints won fair and square, and you know it.  If the Old Man hadn't thrown another one of those endgame drive-killing interceptions that seem to have plagued his whole career in the playoffs, maybe the Viks would have won.
But the old man........have some mercy! Grin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1022 on: January 25, 2010, 01:16:46 AM »

Hey, I like watching an old gunslinger play the game like he still enjoys every minute of it and take some gambles in the hopes of scoring a home run pass from time to time.  It's what makes the game fun.  But when it comes to leading his team to a Super Bowl championship... Undecided  Well, let's just say that discretion is often the better part of valor.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1023 on: January 25, 2010, 01:41:02 AM »

Low blow...

Not exactly.  What CFL team wouldn't want an egotistical 41 year old QB to lead them to the Grey Cup?   Huh

What NFL team wants #4 after his performance in the past 2 NFC Championship Games?

After watching him tonight, I don't think any CFL team wants him....the three down game is a whole different dynamic.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #1024 on: January 25, 2010, 02:51:35 AM »

After watching him tonight, I don't think any CFL team wants him....the three down game is a whole different dynamic.

I agree with you.  I hope Brett Favre gets the hint even though he threw for career best 38 TDs against 9 INTs except INT #9 was deja vu.  That is what I call going out on top.   Cheesy
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1025 on: January 25, 2010, 03:31:23 AM »

First Super Bowl since XXVIII to match up the two Conference No. 1 playoff seeds--Super Bowl XXVIII featured the Buffalo Bills and the Dallas Cowboys for the second straight year.  (ended up being the Bills' fourth straight Super Bowl loss)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1026 on: January 25, 2010, 05:16:57 AM »

Hey, I like watching an old gunslinger play the game like he still enjoys every minute of it and take some gambles in the hopes of scoring a home run pass from time to time.  It's what makes the game fun.  But when it comes to leading his team to a Super Bowl championship... Undecided  Well, let's just say that discretion is often the better part of valor.

Yeah, and I felt it coming right before he did that. I just felt like Favre was going to force the issue at that point.

Favre is a truly great QB, but I still think he is a bit overrated. His TD to INT ratio is not too hot. Lot's of interceptions throughout his career. But then again, he is indeed a "gunslinger," and that's gonna result in some INT's. Somebody famous (can't remember who) said, "That which enables us to achieve greatness also contains the seeds of our destruction." Good quote and applicable here I think.

Selam
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:17:48 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1027 on: January 25, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »

I got the Saints winning the Super Bowl.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1028 on: January 25, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »

Being a member of the over the hill gang I don't care who wins as long as it's a competitive game...

Favre did it again...

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1029 on: January 25, 2010, 10:44:44 PM »

Too many picks, yes, but:

If the Old Man hadn't thrown another one of those endgame drive-killing interceptions that seem to have plagued his whole career in the playoffs

He obviously didn't throw one in the SB win, did he? Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1030 on: January 25, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »

I got the Saints winning the Super Bowl.

I don't.  While I love the storyline, my logic says "go with Indy."  I've been wrong only twice in 20 or so years (of course, I don't bet money on anything, so it does me little good).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1031 on: January 25, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »

Fr. George

Honestly don't care who wins, but I have a feeling about this one (kind of like the feeling I had with the Giants vs. Patriots two years ago).  The Saints will become a bigger underdog as the weeks progress, but I think Drew Brees will deliever come the 7th.
Hopefully next years Super Bowl will be the Skins vs. the Browns, so some real trash talk can begin Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1032 on: January 25, 2010, 11:10:33 PM »

[Ignore this post, lol. I decided to not say what I was gonna say.]

Btw, I read that the Favre is probably going to retire again. (For now)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:13:01 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1033 on: January 25, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »

So back to real sports...What do y'all think of Shani Davis' chances this year? I've seen a bit of his skating, and I am very impressed.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1034 on: January 25, 2010, 11:24:24 PM »

So back to real sports...skating,

Huh Does not compute. Please try again. Pick a manly sport this time! If it has to involve skating, there is always ice hockey.

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: