OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:16:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 427353 times) Average Rating: 5
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #720 on: November 16, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »

Old Bill misses those veteran defensive players that were let go...so don't I

Old Bill (pre-cheater) didn't know what to do with offensive talent.  New Bill (Mr. Pats) didn't need to know.  Old Bill (once again) will have a harder time.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #721 on: November 16, 2009, 09:13:20 PM »

Old Bill has done his penance and the Pats lost to the G-men...

Padre, let them Brownie days go...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #722 on: November 16, 2009, 09:31:15 PM »

Old Bill has done his penance and the Pats lost to the G-men...

Padre, let them Brownie days go...

It's hard.  All we have in Cleveland is the past (9 consecutive Championship games in the 60's, for example).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:31:27 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #723 on: November 16, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »

The Browns should hire a good coach, like Chuckie in the booth, good bloodlines...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #724 on: November 17, 2009, 12:52:54 AM »

I would fire Mangini (a colossal bust himself) if I were the Browns' owner.  Brady Quinn has been colossal bust; how did this kid win at Notre Dame is beyond comprehension.  After 7 starts, Quinn's confidence and psyche are shot.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #725 on: November 17, 2009, 05:03:29 AM »

Nice! Roll Eyes  I see the Tennessee Titans' owner, Bud Adams, just got fined $250K for flipping off the Buffalo Bills and their fans during the Titans' 41-17 win over the Bills.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #726 on: November 17, 2009, 08:23:48 AM »

I would fire Mangini (a colossal bust himself) if I were the Browns' owner.  Brady Quinn has been colossal bust; how did this kid win at Notre Dame is beyond comprehension.  After 7 starts, Quinn's confidence and psyche are shot.

I don't think Quinn is the answer, but I also put 99% of the blame on the coaches for awful (I can't emphasize that enough) play-calling on Offense.

A very good defensive year is being sqandered by a terrible offense, and the D has little to show for it, because they are on the field for so much of the game that eventually they make mistakes.  If they got the amount of rest that other good defenses get, we'd be referring to it as at least an above-average D.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #727 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:15 AM »

Nice! Roll Eyes  I see the Tennessee Titans' owner, Bud Adams, just got fined $250K for flipping off the Buffalo Bills and their fans during the Titans' 41-17 win over the Bills.

Doesn't he sweat that amount off getting out of bed in the morning?  I wish they'd have fines with more teeth: $2 million at least for these owner-types.

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #728 on: November 17, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

If there is any consolation, the original Cleveland Browns won a Super Bowl solely on defense and free agents (e.g. Shannon Sharpe, Rod Woodson, et al.) who were at the right place at the right time.

Art Modell never owned a team in the Premier League.   Shocked
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #729 on: November 17, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »

The Bengals have signed Larry Johnson...

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #730 on: November 17, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »

If there is any consolation, the original Cleveland Browns won a Super Bowl solely on defense and free agents (e.g. Shannon Sharpe, Rod Woodson, et al.) who were at the right place at the right time.

The Ravens are not the original Cleveland Browns, they are the original Baltimore Ravens.  They took what was Art's, and left behind what wasn't theirs to take: history, pride, etc.

---------------------
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #731 on: November 17, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »

Zack Greinke won the AL Cy Young Award.  As a Royals fan, this is one of the few bright spots of yet another dismal year.  Congratulations Zack!  Please don't leave and become a Yankee.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #732 on: November 19, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »

Cheaters don't win, and winners don't cheat.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #733 on: November 19, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »

I just read an article that said the Pittsburgh Pirates expect to have a payroll of about 32 million next season. So basically our entire payroll is less than what the Yankees pay a single player  Roll Eyes

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #734 on: November 19, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »

No Russia, Ukraine or Ireland...it's a outrage

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #735 on: November 19, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »

Maybe someone needs to remind that Frenchman that it's soccer, not handball.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #736 on: November 19, 2009, 10:33:29 PM »

Italy got through, who cares about the rest.  laugh 

I have to admit, England will be interesting to watch in the World Cup with Capello at the helm now.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #737 on: November 19, 2009, 10:43:56 PM »

No Russia, Ukraine or Ireland...it's a outrage

Have to support Serbia....Greece are not in my good books at all!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #738 on: November 19, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »

Serbia has no luck at big tournaments though.  They will end up in a "group of death" and choke. Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #739 on: November 20, 2009, 03:18:53 AM »

Fans Fight Over Hockey Stick At Ducks Game 11/19/09

What a jerk. I agree with one of the comments on youtube: "Gotta love when a guy tries to steal memories of a lifetime from a child, for a few dollars on ebay."

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #740 on: November 20, 2009, 04:31:55 AM »

Maybe someone needs to remind that Frenchman that it's soccer, not handball.

For real! Ireland got a raw deal. And I really like Henri, but he got away with robbery on that one. Begs the question: should soccer have instant replay? With only one ref on the pitch, I would argue that replay must be instituted- especially when so much was decided by such a clear violation of the rules that went unnoticed. I'm not Irish, but even I'm upset about that!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #741 on: November 20, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

I really hope they don't bring in "replays" like in American football or hockey.  It destroys the flow of the game when they have to "check the play".  The ref can technically consult with a linesman, but he didn't.  This happens every once in and while, but that is just life.  This is coming from someone who cannot stand the French team too.  Tongue

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #742 on: November 20, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »

I really hope they don't bring in "replays" like in American football or hockey.  It destroys the flow of the game when they have to "check the play".  The ref can technically consult with a linesman, but he didn't.  This happens every once in and while, but that is just life.  This is coming from someone who cannot stand the French team too.  Tongue
Agreed. Soccer depends so much on not having pauses, on keeping up the pace for ninety minutes. I would hate to see the start-and-stop mode of play that plagues American football.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #743 on: November 21, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »

Will it be Ohio State and Oregon in the Rose Bowl?  The Buckeyes did their part, now it's time for the Ducks to answer.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #744 on: November 21, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »

Serbia has no luck at big tournaments though.  They will end up in a "group of death" and choke. Tongue

My Football Manager 2010 simulated the World Cup as being won by Serbia. You heard it here first!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #745 on: November 21, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »

Agreed. Soccer depends so much on not having pauses, on keeping up the pace for ninety minutes. I would hate to see the start-and-stop mode of play that plagues American football.

It could be set up where the Fourth official can call the play dead after watching a replay. Many refs at the top levels use headsets as it is.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #746 on: November 21, 2009, 11:36:49 PM »

C'mon AZ, pluck them ducks !

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #747 on: November 22, 2009, 12:48:14 AM »

Ducks overcome 10-point deficit to force OT.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #748 on: November 22, 2009, 12:51:21 AM »

Both teams score 7 in first OT; now to 2nd OT tied at 38.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:52:17 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #749 on: November 22, 2009, 12:56:46 AM »

Zona forced to settle for FG in top of 2nd OT.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #750 on: November 22, 2009, 12:59:35 AM »

Masoli 1-yd TD on QB keeper; Ducks win 44-41 in 2OT. Grin

Sorry, Jakub. laugh
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:00:00 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #751 on: November 22, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »

Masoli 1-yd TD on QB sneak; Ducks win 44-41 in 2OT. Grin

Sorry, Jakub. laugh
Next up for the Ducks:  At home vs. Oregon State in the 113th annual Civil War.  Winner faces Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

GO DUCKS!!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:25:10 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #752 on: November 22, 2009, 01:16:41 AM »

Maryland did not play like a 2-9 team today against Florida State.  The Terps showed some promise; plus, the ACC does not have the same officiating snafus which plague the SEC.   Cool

Besides, if one has 4th and 26 like LSU, they better score a TD if there is 1 second left.   Embarrassed
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #753 on: November 22, 2009, 03:21:55 AM »

Just saw news that as the Oregon Duck football team left the field after their win over Arizona, a Duck cheerleader got knocked out cold by a flying water bottle to the head. Sad  May the Lord have mercy on her and grant her a speedy recovery.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #754 on: November 22, 2009, 04:04:08 AM »

LSU and Ole Miss played a classic game today. Les Miles is gonna catch some heat for not having his field goal unit ready to run on the field to kick the game winning field goal with 1 second left. The QB spiked the ball with when they only had one second left! Wow! Great win for the Rebels. Coach Miles: get ready to for the criticism. I had no dog in that hunt, but living in Mississippi I was pulling for Ole Miss today.

My CRIMSON TIDE needs to take care of business on Friday, and then it's gonna be the game of the century in the SEC Championship. But first things first: Gotta go down to the Cow College and win the most important game of the year. The Aubies will never let us hear the end of it if we let them pull the upset. And it's not beyond the realm of possibility. History proves that anything can happen in the "Iron Bowl." But Nick Saban isn't gonna let that happen. BAMA will be ready.

ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #755 on: November 22, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »

The rivalry isn't what it was when Allen and Landry were coaching, but should be a fun game nontheless.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #756 on: November 22, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »

Who thought the Browns would be putting on a high-flying offensive show today?

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #757 on: November 22, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »

So much for our offense.  Now the Lions look like the Saints instead of us.

---------------------
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #758 on: November 22, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »

Who thought the Browns would be putting on a high-flying offensive show today?
Against the worst defense in the NFL, anything's possible. Wink
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #759 on: November 22, 2009, 09:39:29 PM »

I just read an article that said the Pittsburgh Pirates expect to have a payroll of about 32 million next season. So basically our entire payroll is less than what the Yankees pay a single player  Roll Eyes

Eh, Asteriktos!    Whas up wit dat sign? Wink  The Pirates just won an AMAZING  award with national recognition. 
:
:
:
 They have lost 17 straight seasons making them The Most Losing Professional Sports Team in the history of American professional sports (or maybe the universe).  (Yinz gotta laugh bot dis to ease the pain.)
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #760 on: November 22, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »

Big Ben Roethlisberger’s additional concussion today was bad news.  He will have to pass a “baseline” neurological exam before practicing next week.  Here is the entire composition of that exam:

Pittsburgh Steeler's neurologist  to Ben:
    Question #1     Well, Ben Roethlisberger, what is your name?
    Question #2     Okay Ben, quarterback to the Pittsburgh Steelers, are you now or have you ever been a quarterback?
 Wink
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #761 on: November 22, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »

Okay, so back to real football: Anyone watching the MLS final now?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #762 on: November 22, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »

Yep. Great game so far.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #763 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:55 PM »

Yep. Great game so far.

Selam
Fantastic. Glad to see Beckham hasn't dominated. I love games that are tied through most of it; you get to see the best efforts of all of the players as they struggle to snatch a lead.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #764 on: November 22, 2009, 11:49:16 PM »

Yep. Great game so far.

Selam
Fantastic. Glad to see Beckham hasn't dominated. I love games that are tied through most of it; you get to see the best efforts of all of the players as they struggle to snatch a lead.

Let's just hope it isn't decided by penalty kicks.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: