OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 11:33:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 397105 times) Average Rating: 5
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #675 on: November 10, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »

I'm not sure that's the proper argument. How can we be sure we're going to get the call right if we use video replay? I've seen numerous video replays during baseball games, and from one angle it seems the runner is safe, and from another, that he's out. I just don't think video replay is the panacea everyone seems to think it is.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #676 on: November 10, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »

Well, that may be true, and I admit that replay is not full proof. But I do know that in a sport like football we see the refs getting calls wrong on the field every week, and they have a fair chance of correcting it by using replay. I would rather have a game last 10 minutes longer, and have more of a chance of getting the call right, than to save 10 minutes while getting more calls wrong. I mean, we're talking about 2 hours and 30 minutes vs. 2 hours and 40 minutes, or something like that. If I've decided to sit down and watch a game (or DVR'd it), what do I care about that extra 10 minutes?

Then again, I live in an area where we get Pittsburgh Pirates games on TV, so it's not like replay is going to make much of a difference for our record anyway.  Cheesy  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:15:45 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #677 on: November 10, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »

Ok, someone clue me in, when did Poker become a sport? I know it's popular and all, but poker on ESPN in prime time?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #678 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:23 PM »

People watch it. It's all about the ratings.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #679 on: November 11, 2009, 01:09:41 AM »

Ok, someone clue me in, when did Poker become a sport? I know it's popular and all, but poker on ESPN in prime time?

I'm with you! The whole world is watching soccer, and we have to turn on our major sports channels and see poker?!

It's the way of the world I guess. But we don't have to like it, and we don't have to accept it.

Selam
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:09:59 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #680 on: November 11, 2009, 01:27:06 AM »

Thankfully we get like lots of sports channels on my digital cable, so I'm rarely without something to watch. We get:

ESPN
ESPN 2
Versus
Fox Sports Pittsburgh
Big Ten Network
MLB Network
Fox Soccer Channel
ESPN News
ESPN U
NHL Network
NFL Network
NBA TV
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:29:53 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #681 on: November 11, 2009, 02:05:02 AM »

I like watching HRTV and the other horse racing channel whose name escapes me - TVG?   Huh
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #682 on: November 11, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »

But we don't have to like it, and we don't have to accept it.

I love it.  I honestly find the WSOP quite exciting, at times it is even more exciting than MMA or American football for me, since the show is edited and usually only has rounds where big pots are at stake.  Only problem was it started at 9:00 p.m., and a new episode of The Universe was playing on the History Channel; luckily the History Channel plays a lot of re-runs.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #683 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »

Apparently there is a list in Forbes of how much the NHL Hockey teams are all worth. I can't believe that Toronto ($470M) is worth more than twice what my Penguins ($222M) are worth!   Angry  (Source)
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #684 on: November 12, 2009, 12:35:51 AM »

I can't believe that Toronto ($470M) is worth more than twice what my Penguins ($222M) are worth!   Angry  (Source)

Most hockey-crazed nation on earth + 4th largest metropolitan area in North America + traditional fan base throughout much of Canada (which can be pretty irritating if you are not a Leaf fan) + lucrative television & merchandising deals etc.etc. = $470,000,000.00 team.   Wink

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #685 on: November 12, 2009, 01:53:11 AM »

I like to see the Yankees sign Left Fielder Jason Bey to a 8 Year, $160 Million deal so Johnny Damon can go have a beer somewhere else.  The Yankees can use a fourth starter; they can throw $100 Million at Lackey from the Angels for 5 years.  That is only $260 Million in free agent spending.

There are no other high profile free agents - Maybe the Yankees can buy the Orioles for $500 Million - there is a guaranteed 18 wins every season.   Roll Eyes  Peter Angelos would have over 200% return on his investment in 16 years which is enough to purchase Pimlico and Laurel Race Tracks in another US Bankruptcy Court and run them into the ground.   Roll Eyes
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #686 on: November 12, 2009, 02:50:15 AM »

I like to see the Yankees sign Left Fielder Jason Bey to a 8 Year, $160 Million deal so Johnny Damon can go have a beer somewhere else.  The Yankees can use a fourth starter; they can throw $100 Million at Lackey from the Angels for 5 years.  That is only $260 Million in free agent spending.

There are no other high profile free agents - Maybe the Yankees can buy the Orioles for $500 Million - there is a guaranteed 18 wins every season.   Roll Eyes  Peter Angelos would have over 200% return on his investment in 16 years which is enough to purchase Pimlico and Laurel Race Tracks in another US Bankruptcy Court and run them into the ground.   Roll Eyes
I see somebody wants to go cry in his beer. Cry
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:50:33 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #687 on: November 12, 2009, 12:48:57 PM »

I see somebody wants to go cry in his beer. Cry

No ... Not what you think  Wink ... Just following established and predictable patterns ... Why can't the Yankees buy the Orioles; after all, the Yankees were the Baltimore Orioles before 1905.  The second incarnation of the Orioles was a minor league team which the current incarnation has resembled for the last decade or so.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #688 on: November 12, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »

I can't believe that Toronto ($470M) is worth more than twice what my Penguins ($222M) are worth!   Angry  (Source)

Most hockey-crazed nation on earth + 4th largest metropolitan area in North America + traditional fan base throughout much of Canada (which can be pretty irritating if you are not a Leaf fan) + lucrative television & merchandising deals etc.etc. = $470,000,000.00 team.   Wink

Darn Canadians and their fancy teams! It's not enough that the Montreal Canadiens have won like a quarter of all Stanley Cups?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #689 on: November 12, 2009, 01:45:09 PM »

How does this happen?...

Three Tennessee Volunteers players arrested, charged in robbery

Safety Janzen Jackson and receiver Nu'Keese Richardson, two of coach Lane Kiffin's most prized signees from his first recruiting class, were among three Tennessee football players arrested early Thursday morning in Knoxville on charges of attempted armed robbery.

The third player arrested was also a freshman, defensive back Mike Edwards. It was not immediately clear if the players have attorneys.

According to a Knoxville City Police report, the arrests stemmed from an attempted robbery outside a convenience store near campus. A powered pellet gun was recovered in the players' car after they were stopped by police near the Gibbs Hall dormitory on campus, where the Vols' freshman football players live.

At least one of the players arrested was wearing some type of Tennessee gear during the attempted robbery, according to police.

A fourth suspect, a woman alleged to have been driving a car with the three players as passengers, was also arrested.

"At this time we are currently evaluating the circumstances surrounding an incident involving Mike Edwards, Janzen Jackson and Nu'Keese Richardson," Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton said in a prepared statement. "Any decisions or comments regarding their status will not be made until the evaluations are complete."...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #690 on: November 12, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »

Ummm... because it's Tennessee.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #691 on: November 12, 2009, 07:42:39 PM »

It just boggles my mind. I can't imagine having the advantages these young people have (going to a major university on scholarship, playing on a nationally known football team, etc.), and then throwing it away over something so petty. That's if it's true, of course.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #692 on: November 12, 2009, 07:45:31 PM »

How does this happen?...
This sort of thing seems to happen too often with American football players. I don't know the causes, honestly, but the crime rate among athletes, both at the university and professional level, is alarming.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #693 on: November 12, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »

It just boggles my mind. I can't imagine having the advantages these young people have (going to a major university on scholarship, playing on a nationally known football team, etc.), and then throwing it away over something so petty. That's if it's true, of course.

Unfortunately it is true.

I shouldn't make light of it. My prayers go out to these three kids. I hope that they are able to turn their lives around and become productive and positive people. Lord knows, I made many stupid decicions when I was that age.

Selam

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #694 on: November 12, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »

What allegedly happened in Knoxville can happen anywhere.

At least Tennessee's boosters are eco-friendly by purchasing Prius' instead of Hybrid Escalades.   Roll Eyes

I wonder if any of Pat Summitt's players strolls around Knoxville in a Hybrid Escalade?   Huh
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #695 on: November 13, 2009, 01:38:18 AM »

Well, Coach Kiffin sets a high standard by playing Lil' Wayne over the loud speakers during practice. As he puts it, it gives him "street cred" and helps his recruiting. I wonder if he might actually see this recent unfortunate event as another boost to his "street cred." Wow.Roll Eyes

Either way, BAMA will continue to kick UT's posterior with character and class. Wink

Selam

Watch the language. - Fr. George, GM
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:13:17 PM by Fr. George » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #696 on: November 13, 2009, 02:07:30 AM »

How does this happen?...
This sort of thing seems to happen too often with American football players. I don't know the causes, honestly, but the crime rate among athletes, both at the university and professional level, is alarming.
Maybe it has to do with elevated testosterone and diminished cerebral synapses.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #697 on: November 14, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »

I saw bits of the MLS game last night, though I was switching between that and basketball (especially after the lighting issues). Apparently the other conference final is on Fox Soccer Channel tonight at 8pm. I'll probably DVR it and watch college football. I know there are quite a few soccer fans on the board, but any fans of MLS in particular?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #698 on: November 14, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »

I saw bits of the MLS game last night, though I was switching between that and basketball (especially after the lighting issues). Apparently the other conference final is on Fox Soccer Channel tonight at 8pm. I'll probably DVR it and watch college football. I know there are quite a few soccer fans on the board, but any fans of MLS in particular?

Not too much of a MLS fan, but the semifinal game last night was very exciting. I do find it cool how much the Galaxy has improved since Donovan and Beckham have buried the hatchet and started playing so well together.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #699 on: November 15, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »

Hey Peter:  I dig those black uniforms!

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #700 on: November 15, 2009, 03:25:47 AM »

Selam
Black uniforms?  Is that what the Ducks wore today?  I was busy socializing at a friend's house, so I had no chance to watch their game against Arizona State.

I know the Oregon State Beavers wear black uniforms.  Could you be talking about them?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #701 on: November 15, 2009, 03:42:45 AM »

Selam
Black uniforms?  Is that what the Ducks wore today?  I was busy socializing at a friend's house, so I had no chance to watch their game against Arizona State.

I know the Oregon State Beavers wear black uniforms.  Could you be talking about them?

No man, your boys were sporting some cool black uniforms tonight! Very nice.

Selam

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #702 on: November 15, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »

Not really. The level of competition is much lower here than in other countries' top-level leagues. I'll probably watch the final, but that's about it.

No, to see great football, try England.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:03:28 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #703 on: November 15, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »

Regarding soccer, I'm stuck with whatever they put on... though the I don't really recall that many MLS matches from the past season/year, so maybe I get to see some good games... I'm not really the best judge of that. I do have to say, though, that I'm getting frustrated with all these people falling down for no good reason. Whether it's soccer players taking dives, or Sidney Crosby flopping to the ice every game. Reminds me of an old console football game I used to play, in which a player would say "you're a powder puff!"
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #704 on: November 15, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »

Regarding soccer, I'm stuck with whatever they put on...
Ah, yes, the Sports Gods declare that not much soccer shall be watched in the U.S. We have to make room for more shows like this:

Click here, then fast-forward to 14:47. Sorry, but I couldn't find a shorter clip

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:31:47 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #705 on: November 15, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »

Huh, I got the message "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again"...?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #706 on: November 15, 2009, 07:32:04 PM »

Okay, try it now. I think I've fixed the link.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #707 on: November 15, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »

I made it through about 2 minutes, lol, till the part about the guy saying the word about correctly. If not for the blonde, I wouldn't have even made it that far. I think I saw enough, though. Cool
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:38:51 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #708 on: November 15, 2009, 08:38:08 PM »

^ Did you see the part at 14:47? It's about a show called "Sports Shouting." That was the point I was trying to make.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #709 on: November 15, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »

Well Embarrassed To be honest, I don't remember for sure, but I know that I started watching before the 14:47 mark that you suggested, so I must have seen it.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #710 on: November 15, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »

Okay, I'll try again. There just seem to be a lot of sports analysis shows and not much actual sports programming, despite the absurdly high number of 24-hour sports channels. I can get over 50 on Dish (if I want to subscribe to them, which I don't). I'd prefer that the sports channels actually play sports programming (imagine that!).

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #711 on: November 15, 2009, 09:17:24 PM »

Well I certainly agree with that. I don't mind a recap show here or there, or some original programming like the "10 things..." show they have on NFL network, but on a lot of these channels I agree that there's rarely actual games. NHL Network never seems to have more than 3 games on any day, and usually it's just 2 (one live and one game from the previous night). NFL Network have all sorts of game rebroadcasts in preseason, but now that it's regular season you're lucky if you get a half dozen games a week, only one of which is live. I do have to admit, though, that if I check all the channels there's probably a sports event on one of them that I can watch at any particular time. But if they played sports a bit more, and a bit less poker and billiards and whatnot on channels like ESPN, I wouldn't complain!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #712 on: November 15, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »

Yes, around here we get the Fox Sports Network, which tends to show the Cardinals and Blues games (depending on what season it is) three times, one live, one re-broadcast immediately following the game, and a second re-broadcast the next morning. The rest of the day is all sports analyses. If they'd add more sports from other parts of the world, they could show live games pretty much all day. I wouldn't mind some Indian cricket or Korean table tennis. Unfortunately, knowing sports enthusiasts, the ratings for such programs would be worse than re-runs of canceled Joss Wheadon series.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #713 on: November 16, 2009, 01:17:52 AM »

Bill Belichick is not the same coach without the video cameras.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #714 on: November 16, 2009, 06:48:48 PM »

Then he's not a coach.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #715 on: November 16, 2009, 06:55:59 PM »

Then he's not a coach.
OK, share that sentiment with Robert Kraft - let me know if you've been successful.   Wink
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #716 on: November 16, 2009, 07:02:30 PM »

Then he's not a coach.
OK, share that sentiment with Robert Kraft - let me know if you've been successful.   Wink
I will next time I'm in his neighbourhood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgA2xo0HYrE

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #717 on: November 16, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »

Then he's not a coach.
I will next time I'm in his neighbourhood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgA2xo0HYrE

Gee, I just happen to block YouTube from where I am.   Roll Eyes

Shifting Gears, Jimmie Johnson will win his fourth consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup title on Sunday; a feat which Earnhardt (RIP), Petty and Gordon have never accomplished.  If #48 keeps winning Sprint Cups, Earnhardt and Petty will be eclipsed in 2013.   Shocked
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #718 on: November 16, 2009, 08:20:09 PM »

Maybe he's just reverting toward the old Bill that many of us knew (and loathed).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #719 on: November 16, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »

Old Bill misses those veteran defensive players that were let go...so don't I

Them rookies don't have the...acorns to question him

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: