OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:15:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 419443 times) Average Rating: 5
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #540 on: October 25, 2009, 02:48:41 AM »

Well, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (my avatar and my second favorite fighter only after Fedor Emelianenko) lost a decision to Lyoto Machida tonight, though there are riots all over MMA forums claiming the fight was somehow fixed.  Shogun clearly won the fight 4 rounds to 1 IMO (or 49-46).  Shogun is the people's champ of the UFC LHW division.       

continued:
the results of various MMA sites before the official decision:

Yahoo Sports / Cagewriter: 48-47 Rua
BloodyElbow : 48-47 Rua
USAToday: 48-47 Rua, 49-46 Rua
MMA Fanhouse / Michael David Smith: 48-47 Rua
MMATorch : 48-47 Rua
MMAJunkie : 49-46 or 48-47 Rua
MMAMania : 50-45 Rua
5 Ounces of Pain : Rua (no score given)
Fightlinker -- Rua (no score given)
ProMMA.Info: 50-45 Rua
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:00:58 AM by coptic orthodox boy » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #541 on: October 25, 2009, 06:34:29 AM »

A fix in boxing's modern-day successor?  Never! Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #542 on: October 25, 2009, 09:30:25 AM »

A fix in boxing's modern-day successor?  Never!

lol, well i shouldn't say the fight itself was fixed; but perhaps the judges were told to give the fight to Machida if it went to decision (no doubt UFC marketing is trying to milk the "karate-kid" vibe Machida gives off for all it's worth).  Shogun was a 6 to 1 underdog, if Shogun won perhaps Vegas would have gone bankrupt? ***sigh*** well Dana White is saying there will be an immediate rematch; hopefully Shogun puts Machida to sleep to leave no doubt the second time around.

Fight facts:
http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html

So Shogun connects with more strikes overall (almost twice as much) as well as more powerful strikes, and attempts more takedowns (4-0) and still losses.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #543 on: October 25, 2009, 03:04:51 PM »

Ok, I have a hockey question. Why do so many people talk about how many shots Ovechkin takes like it's a good thing? To have a high scoring percentage is a good thing, but what is inherently good about simply taking a lot of shots?
Oh! I know this answer! (hockey mom x 2 decades AND more importantly, I have pets named Mario and Jaromir.)

1.  it could take a wild bounce and go in. 
2.  somebody can deflect a wild biscuit and light up a hack. 
3.  the goalie could have his vision blocked by a 250lb goon and let one in
4.  the goalie's caffeine/amphetamines/benzoylmethylecgonine (whatever makes him twitch) could be wearing off=slow reaction time=potential goal
5.  the galvanized rubber could hit an unpadded area of your opponent and make them limp slowly to the bench raising the morale and beer consumption of fans
6.  FOR A MILLION REASONS, IT COULD START A FISTICUFFS!

And...Ovechkin is a tool. How bout dem Guins!  ( Господин Ovechkin believes he has more talent than he does. The Pittsburgh Penguins are magnificent.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:10:44 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #544 on: October 25, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »

We knew that Skippy (aka Jeff Reed) likes to pick fights with towel dispensers, and now we also know that he tackles like a sissy. Thankfully the Steelers won't lose this game because of his poor tackling ability.

Let's go Pens!
Let's go Steelers!
Let's go Pira... er... nevermind.  Grin

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:16:48 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #545 on: October 25, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »

Ok, I have a hockey question. Why do so many people talk about how many shots Ovechkin takes like it's a good thing? To have a high scoring percentage is a good thing, but what is inherently good about simply taking a lot of shots?
Oh! I know this answer! (hockey mom x 2 decades AND more importantly, I have pets named Mario and Jaromir.)

1.  it could take a wild bounce and go in. 
2.  somebody can deflect a wild biscuit and light up a hack. 
3.  the goalie could have his vision blocked by a 250lb goon and let one in
4.  the goalie's caffeine/amphetamines/benzoylmethylecgonine (whatever makes him twitch) could be wearing off=slow reaction time=potential goal
5.  the galvanized rubber could hit an unpadded area of your opponent and make them limp slowly to the bench raising the morale and beer consumption of fans
6.  FOR A MILLION REASONS, IT COULD START A FISTICUFFS!
Perfect example of the wild bounce:

Video: Who had more embarrassing goal, Pavelec or Toskala?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #546 on: October 25, 2009, 09:39:47 PM »

so it's official:  Cairo vs. Algeria at 12:30PM NY time (which means it will be at 7:30 PM in Cairo, I think).

November 14th.  Egypt needs to win by three goals to advance to the world cup.  If they win only by two, there is a dead-heat tie on all accounts of the FIFA rules, to which FIFA rules say will result in drawing lots or another game due by November 18th at neutral soil (which is what makes this game so exciting).

If however Egypt won by only one goal, tied, or lost to Algeria in that game, no matter what, points add up in a fashion that Algeria will advance.

Scary circumstances, but the excitement is alive!  Can't wait!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #547 on: October 25, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »

I have pets named Mario and Jaromir

According to Wikipedia, Jagr is an EO convert. Given that the Czech Republic is one of the most non-religious countries in Europe, I'm not sure how devout he is....but its interesting...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #548 on: October 25, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »

If it doesn't go in on the first shot it often creates secondary scoring opportunities for himself or for his teammates. When you get the puck around the net, good things happen.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:59:27 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #549 on: October 26, 2009, 12:20:53 AM »

Go Phillies...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #550 on: October 26, 2009, 12:28:54 AM »

Go Phillies...
Let's hope they can be less sloppy than the Angels.  Errors on back-to-back sacrifice bunts in the 8th inning that allow the Yankees to score an unearned insurance run. Roll Eyes  Phew, that stinks!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:29:10 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #551 on: October 28, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »

Giants pitcher Hoyt Wilhelm hit a home run on his first at-bat in the major leagues.

He played for 21 seasons but never hit another homer.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #552 on: October 28, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #553 on: October 28, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »

Giants pitcher Hoyt Wilhelm hit a home run on his first at-bat in the major leagues.

He played for 21 seasons but never hit another homer.

Like the beginning golfer I heard about who hit a hole-in-one the first time he ever swung a club through a golf ball.  He ended up still shooting 200 through 18 holes, or something like that.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #554 on: October 28, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »

You're off my Christmas Card list, forever!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #555 on: October 28, 2009, 10:20:31 PM »

Crosby had a hat trick tonight. Just sayin' Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #556 on: October 28, 2009, 11:29:56 PM »

...and now the Phillies won. Have to say that it was a good night. Smiley

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #557 on: October 29, 2009, 07:02:07 AM »

Yeah, Utley's two homers were impressive, as well as Cliff Lee's behind-the-back catch. Wow.

I am still unimpressed by the Yankees. This is the second time this postseason a player has been tagged out just standing near the base. Fundamentals, anyone?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #558 on: October 29, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »

You're off my Christmas Card list, forever!

I didn't realize I was on it!  Shocked  Huh  Tongue  laugh

Why am I a Yankees fan? Because you only have to watch them one month a year: October. Cheesy

In all honesty I'm not a big baseball fan. I enjoy the play-offs and the World Series. The Yankees make it easy to do so.  Grin

Last night they didn't look so hot. Hopefully they will rally tonight and beat the Sillies!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2009, 11:53:21 AM »

Yeah, Utley's two homers were impressive, as well as Cliff Lee's behind-the-back catch. Wow.

Yeah!  How about that second homer, on an O-2 pitch, hit with authority....now that's moxy!  That catch was awesome too...but so was Lee's entire performance!  Go Phillies!!!

Hopefully they will rally tonight and beat the Sillies!

Booo!  hisss!   laugh
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:54:17 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #560 on: October 29, 2009, 01:41:08 PM »

Frillies, according to the NY Post.

If Pedro wins game 2, fuhgedaboutit (sp?)  Grin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #561 on: October 29, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »

But the Yankees are Pedro's daddy.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #562 on: October 29, 2009, 07:08:10 PM »

But the Yankees are Pedro's daddy.

According to Yahoo! Sports, Pedro is 11-11 lifetime against the Yankees with a 3.20 ERA while the Yankees are hitting  .211 against him.  Pedro's ERA at the old Yankee Stadium was 2.95.  Meanwhile, Cliff Lee's Postseason ERA is 0.54 (2 ER in 33 1/3 innings).

Good pitching always beats good hitting.   Wink

source for Pedro's stats
source for Cliff Lee's stats

Edited for clarification.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:21:33 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #563 on: October 29, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack being played at yesterday's opening...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #564 on: October 30, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack being played at yesterday's opening...
Ah, I missed that? I didn't get home from work until the second inning.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #565 on: October 30, 2009, 01:07:51 PM »

It's probably on you tube somewhere, had me seeing old George in a black hoodie in the owners box...

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #566 on: October 30, 2009, 02:24:17 PM »

I really wish baseball would end already, it interrupts my nightly Simpsons watching.  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #567 on: October 30, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »

I really wish baseball would end already, it interrupts my nightly Simpsons watching.  Tongue

Ditto.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #568 on: October 30, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »

Actually, as much as I love baseball, I really wish they'd get back to having the World Series at the beginning of October. I think the playoffs are far too long; I'd prefer going back to simply giving the pennant to the team with the best record during the regular season, and going straight to the World Series. In my opinion, 162 games ought to be enough to determine the best team of the year.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #569 on: October 30, 2009, 08:41:52 PM »

MLB doesn't control the Playoffs and WS schedule, the TV media dictates that due to the $ they pay...

It's a outrage...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #570 on: October 31, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »

Is the World Series going on right now? Really? I could care less. Well, at least the Yankees maintain some rich tradition. It's at least pretty cool to turn on the TV and watch a game being played at historic Yankee Stadium, where Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Joe Dimagio and others played. Oh wait, I forgot, yeah that's gone too now. Pro sports; how exciting.Roll Eyes

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #571 on: October 31, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »

My step father used to always say how much better college sports were, how it was "purer" and so forth. I always thought that was funny, as if college athletes didn't have dreams of money, beautiful guys/girls, fame, power, etc. Yeah, 20 year olds are really pure!  Tongue

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #572 on: October 31, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »

Though it occured to me after my last past that the purity of the participants does not necessarily effect the purity of the sport as a whole. Though I think there is some carry over. Anyway...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #573 on: October 31, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »

My step father used to always say how much better college sports were, how it was "purer" and so forth. I always thought that was funny, as if college athletes didn't have dreams of money, beautiful guys/girls, fame, power, etc. Yeah, 20 year olds are really pure!  Tongue

Well now, let's not make a blanket condemnation of all 20 year olds.

As far as purity, nothing in this current world is pure (except maybe for some modern day Saints). But as I mentioned on another thread, there are degrees of purity. I'm not arguing that college sports are pure, only that they are less impure than pro sports.

But most of all, it's just the environment and culture of college football that makes it so exciting in my opinion. Every school, from the largest to the smallest, has its own unique tradtion. The bands, the college campuses, the tailgating, the uniforms, the rivalries, etc. make college football so much fun. Kids leaving their hearts on the field just to win one game over an arch rival. I could go on and on. But ultimately it is purely subjective when it comes to why we like certain teams and certain sports. I guess that's what makes sports in general so much fun. Smiley

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #574 on: October 31, 2009, 07:17:40 PM »

Well now, let's not make a blanket condemnation of all 20 year olds.

Good point, I shouldn't have made a generalization about that either.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #575 on: October 31, 2009, 11:36:51 PM »

Pro athletes are mercenaries, and those in college want to get to the big show, and not for the love of the game...

Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #576 on: November 01, 2009, 12:02:42 AM »

(10) Oregon 47, (5) USC 20

RB LaMichael James 24 carries for 184 yards rushing
QB Jeremiah Masoli 13 carries for 164 yards rushing and 19/31 passing for 221 yards
392 team yards rushing against a Trojan defense that allowed an average of not quite 80 per game previously

613 yards total offense
47 points - the most ever allowed by any USC team coached by Pete Carroll

Ducks unbeaten in the Pac-10 after 5 conference games

GO DUCKS!!!
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #577 on: November 01, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »

Until relatively recently, I wasn't even aware of what my University's athletic nickname was.  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #578 on: November 01, 2009, 12:21:52 AM »

QB Jeremiah Masoli 13 carries for 164 yards rushing and 19/31 passing for 221 yards
392 team yards rushing against a Trojan defense that allowed an average of not quite 80 per game previously

613 yards total offense

GO DUCKS!!!

Yes bredren! Great win for Oregon. They always expose how overated USC is. But more than that, Oregon is good! You guys are building a solid program out there. Always a great crowd and a great environment. Oregon today reminds me of Washington in the days of Warren Moon. Congrats! Smiley

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #579 on: November 01, 2009, 01:01:12 AM »

613 yards total offense

GO DUCKS!!!

Yes bredren! Great win for Oregon. They always expose how overated USC is. But more than that, Oregon is good! You guys are building a solid program out there. Always a great crowd and a great environment. Oregon today reminds me of Washington in the days of Warren Moon. Congrats! Smiley

Selam
I just found out that USC has not won a game in Oregon (in Eugene against Oregon or in Corvallis against Oregon State) the last four years.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #580 on: November 01, 2009, 01:24:16 AM »

SC lost to the Ducks ? It's a outrage !

Who plays 1st for the Phillies ? Somebody better find him...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #581 on: November 01, 2009, 01:34:39 AM »

613 yards total offense

GO DUCKS!!!

Selam
I just found out that USC has not won a game in Oregon (in Eugene against Oregon or in Corvallis against Oregon State) the last four years.

That's an amazingly cool stat.

So tell me, who would the "O" rather beat- USC or Oregon State?

Selam

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #582 on: November 01, 2009, 01:37:49 AM »

I have a question for Americans who are big into college sports.  Are these your alma mater?  Or you just cheer for certain teams like in pro sports?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #583 on: November 01, 2009, 01:38:57 AM »

613 yards total offense

GO DUCKS!!!

Selam

That's an amazingly cool stat.

So tell me, who would the "O" rather beat- USC or Oregon State?

Selam
Oregon State, definitely.  Nothing like beating our in-state rivals in what we call the Civil War.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:45:32 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #584 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:27 AM »

I have a question for Americans who are big into college sports.  Are these your alma mater?  Or you just cheer for certain teams like in pro sports?
I root for both University of Oregon and Oregon State University, even though I never graduated from either, simply because they're the two major universities in my state of residence.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: