OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:59:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 408194 times) Average Rating: 5
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #495 on: October 15, 2009, 02:17:50 PM »

well, Egypt only needs to be Algeria by three goals  Sad

Anyway, the Nov. 14th game between Algeria and Egypt, does anyone have any idea what time that game will be played?  FIFA doesn't say.

And South Africa of course is automatically qualified.

1:30 PM GMT.

WOW...thank you...how'd you find out if you don't mind me asking?

Now that I google around some more, I'm coming up with a few different times.....anywhere from noon GMT to 2 pm GMT...

What do you put in the google search engine?  Frankly, I'm having quite a hard time with my own google.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #496 on: October 16, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »

Ghana defeats Brazil 4-3 in penalties in the Under 20 World Cup!

WOW! What a terrific match!

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #497 on: October 16, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »

I just read this story on espn.com. I was wondering if someone out there could explain to me the rationale behind blacking out a game in an area where I'd assume millions would want to watch it? It's not going to happen in this case, by why should it even be a possibility because ticket sales were a few thousand short?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:03:22 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #498 on: October 16, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »

well, Egypt only needs to be Algeria by three goals  Sad

Anyway, the Nov. 14th game between Algeria and Egypt, does anyone have any idea what time that game will be played?  FIFA doesn't say.

And South Africa of course is automatically qualified.

1:30 PM GMT.

WOW...thank you...how'd you find out if you don't mind me asking?

Now that I google around some more, I'm coming up with a few different times.....anywhere from noon GMT to 2 pm GMT...

What do you put in the google search engine?  Frankly, I'm having quite a hard time with my own google.

"algeria vs. egypt november 14"

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #499 on: October 16, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »

I see what you're saying...

Still, it doesn't seem all that conclusive, but it would be nice if it were around that time...that means morning Eastern time, which means I can still do clinic work in the afternoon.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #500 on: October 16, 2009, 06:47:10 PM »

I just read this story on espn.com. I was wondering if someone out there could explain to me the rationale behind blacking out a game in an area where I'd assume millions would want to watch it? It's not going to happen in this case, by why should it even be a possibility because ticket sales were a few thousand short?

It's the sorry mentality of pro football: we can't sell out games, so we'll try to force you to buy tickets by blacking out the game on tv. What a joke. Can you imagine that happening on the college level?

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #501 on: October 17, 2009, 01:42:38 AM »

Why is it that 2 teams from LA Metro Area play two teams on the I-95 Corridor in the Baseball playoffs?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #502 on: October 17, 2009, 02:21:51 AM »

Why is it that 2 teams from LA Metro Area play two teams on the I-95 Corridor in the Baseball playoffs?
Because they're good.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #503 on: October 17, 2009, 07:22:07 PM »

Well, I'll break it down for you.
1. The Los Angeles Dodgers won the NL West, then defeated the St. Louis Cardinals, the NL Central champions, in three games.
2. The Philadelphia Phillies won the NL East, then defeated the wild card Colorado Rockies in four games.
3. The California/Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim won the AL West, then defeated the wild card Boston Red Sox in three games.
4. The New York Yankees won the AL East, then defeated the Minnesota Twins, the AL Central champions, in three games.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #504 on: October 17, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »

^ Thank You for repeating 2009 up to the present.  Roll Eyes

Now, I like to know why these 4 teams consistently play each other in MLB Playoffs.   Huh
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #505 on: October 17, 2009, 11:05:05 PM »

Now, I like to know why these 4 teams consistently play each other in MLB Playoffs.   Huh
Simple.  They don't. Wink  This year is only the third time in the past decade that the Angels and Yankees have faced each other in the postseason--the Angels had too much trouble the last few years just getting past Boston.  As for the NL, this is indeed the second straight year the Phillies and Dodgers qualified to play each other in the NLCS, but prior to last year these two teams hadn't faced each other in the postseason since 1983.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #506 on: October 18, 2009, 01:22:17 AM »

Simple.  They don't. Wink  This year is only the third time in the past decade that the Angels and Yankees have faced each other in the postseason--the Angels had too much trouble the last few years just getting past Boston.  As for the NL, this is indeed the second straight year the Phillies and Dodgers qualified to play each other in the NLCS, but prior to last year these two teams hadn't faced each other in the postseason since 1983.

The Yankees, Angels and Phillies have won a World Series since 2000.  The Dodgers won in 1988.

Perhaps I'm just venting about the lack of parity in baseball.   Undecided
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #507 on: October 18, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »

When is baseball over for the year??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #508 on: October 18, 2009, 02:05:36 AM »

When is baseball over for the year??

You and me both.   Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #509 on: October 18, 2009, 02:19:40 AM »

Perhaps I'm just venting about the lack of parity in baseball.

I don't think it's all about money, but I think that's a large part of it. All four teams that are left in the playoffs have a 2009 payroll of more than 100,000,000. On the other hand, the teams that absolutely suck, like the Nationals and the Pirates, are at the bottom of the payroll list. Admittedly, there were 9 teams over 100,000,000 in 2009, and not all of those teams were good (like the Mets and Astros). Also, not all of the teams at the bottom of the list totally sucked (like the Rays). Still, I think generally speaking, if you're not willing to put some serious money into a team, your chances of really competing are almost zero. Which means my Pirates will never again make the playoffs. Sad

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #510 on: October 18, 2009, 02:22:43 AM »

The Yankees, Angels and Phillies have won a World Series since 2000.
So have the Diamondbacks, the Marlins, the White Sox, and the Cardinals, not all of whom could be considered big-market teams like the Yankees.  So what's your point? Wink
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #511 on: October 18, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »

Image tags fixed...  You might try using [img] tags rather than [pic] tags in the future, since [img] tags seem to work better on this forum. Wink  -PtA
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:04:05 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #512 on: October 18, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »

So have the Diamondbacks, the Marlins, the White Sox, and the Cardinals, not all of whom could be considered big-market teams like the Yankees.  So what's your point? Wink

None of those other teams play in $1.5 Billion Stadiums.  The Nationals play in a $600 Million Stadium which is already empty like Montreal.  Give another year or two of futility and the attendance will be 3 digits.  Same is true for the Orioles who play in, ah, taxpayer funded Stadium.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #513 on: October 18, 2009, 11:34:09 PM »

You're welcome. You didn't seem to understand the nature of a 162-game season culminating in an eight-team single-elimination tournament, and how the results of said season are not fixed.

Now, I like to know why these 4 teams consistently play each other in MLB Playoffs.   Huh
Not to mention that of the AL teams in the playoffs this year, only the Red Sox were in the postseason last year, and neither of the other two National League teams in the playoffs this year, the Cardinals and Rockies, made the postseason last year. So though this year's NLCS may be a repeat of last year's, it very well could have been played in St. Louis and Denver instead. Again, the results are based only on who wins, and not who has what stadium or whose fans stand outside in colder weather. It's simple business: the teams which attract the most sales get to buy the players they choose. Teams have different ways of attracting sales, and it's not always about the playoffs. The Cardinals didn't make the postseason the year Mark McGwire was reported to have broken Roger Maris' record, yet they were selling standing-room-only tickets and pumping out merchandise to as many retailers as they could. Maybe you don't like the way the baseball business works, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

None of those other teams play in $1.5 Billion Stadiums.  The Nationals play in a $600 Million Stadium which is already empty like Montreal.  Give another year or two of futility and the attendance will be 3 digits.  Same is true for the Orioles who play in, ah, taxpayer funded Stadium.
How much of that $1.5 billion do you think the city of New York is going to make back in sales tax, hotel taxes, business licences, etc.? I know when we go to St. Louis for a game, we end up spending not only $100 on tickets ($9 of which is sales tax), but $50 on dinner ($4.50 sales tax), maybe a couple of caps for $30 ($2.70), $30 in gas ($2.70), and a night in a hotel for $120 ($30 tax). Add that up, and the city of St. Louis gets $48.90 from us for one Cardinals game. The Cardinals sold 3.5 million tickets this year. If all of them are like us, St. Louis received $171 million this year in taxes from Cardinals fans--and that doesn't include the apparel and other related merchandise sold on- and off-season at St. Louis retailers. And St. Louis is not the only one to benefit: businesses all over the country who sell Cardinals merchandise, restaurants who hold Cardinals watch parties, and many more benefit their cities with sales tax revenue. The fact is that cities build these stadiums expecting an increase in tax revenue, and they usually get it. It may be that your city isn't receiving that revenue for one reason or another, but that's not the fault of baseball, and it's not the fault of those cities and teams which are succeeding.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:36:45 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #514 on: October 19, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »

You're welcome. You didn't seem to understand the nature of a 162-game season culminating in an eight-team single-elimination tournament, and how the results of said season are not fixed.

Was there actually a 162 game season?  I thought there were 8 pre-ordained teams and the other 24 served as the Washington Generals when they play the Harlem Globetrotters....

Not to mention that of the AL teams in the playoffs this year, only the Red Sox were in the postseason last year, and neither of the other two National League teams in the playoffs this year, the Cardinals and Rockies, made the postseason last year. So though this year's NLCS may be a repeat of last year's, it very well could have been played in St. Louis and Denver instead. Again, the results are based only on who wins, and not who has what stadium or whose fans stand outside in colder weather. It's simple business: the teams which attract the most sales get to buy the players they choose. Teams have different ways of attracting sales, and it's not always about the playoffs. The Cardinals didn't make the postseason the year Mark McGwire was reported to have broken Roger Maris' record, yet they were selling standing-room-only tickets and pumping out merchandise to as many retailers as they could. Maybe you don't like the way the baseball business works, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Wouldn't Pujols look nice in an Orioles uniform ... if the Yankees don't sign him first.

How much of that $1.5 billion do you think the city of New York is going to make back in sales tax, hotel taxes, business licences, etc.?

Every penny ... and then some.

I know when we go to St. Louis for a game, we end up spending not only $100 on tickets ($9 of which is sales tax), but $50 on dinner ($4.50 sales tax), maybe a couple of caps for $30 ($2.70), $30 in gas ($2.70), and a night in a hotel for $120 ($30 tax). Add that up, and the city of St. Louis gets $48.90 from us for one Cardinals game.

You're paying for the TWA Dome, Convention Center, Highway Projects and who knows what else is applied towards St. Louis.

I've been to Camden Yards four times since 2006.  I certainly do not make as much of a contribution to Baltimore's economy as your family.  The hotel tax can't be 25% in St. Louis - In MD, the tax is 6% state and between 5-9% for counties and municipalities (like Baltimore).  The combined hotel tax ranges from 11-14%.

The Cardinals sold 3.5 million tickets this year. If all of them are like us, St. Louis received $171 million this year in taxes from Cardinals fans--and that doesn't include the apparel and other related merchandise sold on- and off-season at St. Louis retailers. And St. Louis is not the only one to benefit: businesses all over the country who sell Cardinals merchandise, restaurants who hold Cardinals watch parties, and many more benefit their cities with sales tax revenue. The fact is that cities build these stadiums expecting an increase in tax revenue, and they usually get it. It may be that your city isn't receiving that revenue for one reason or another, but that's not the fault of baseball, and it's not the fault of those cities and teams which are succeeding.

I'm not even talking about sales tax revenues.  Why bring up the topic for the Orioles have had 12 straight losing seasons?   Undecided
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #515 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »

Wouldn't Pujols look nice in an Orioles uniform ... if the Yankees don't sign him first.
There were others before him, and there will be others after him. He's said publicly he's staying with the Redbirds as long as they pay him competitively, and I have every reason to believe we will continue to do so. He is one of the best players in the game, and he is excellent at training some of our newer and/or less talented players to play far beyond what we thought possible. I think we're content to reach into our pretty deep pockets for a player like Albert.

How much of that $1.5 billion do you think the city of New York is going to make back in sales tax, hotel taxes, business licences, etc.?

Every penny ... and then some.
Exactly. That's why they built the House That Resembles the One Ruth Built, but That We Bulldozed For a Bigger Profit.

You're paying for the TWA Dome, Convention Center, Highway Projects and who knows what else is applied towards St. Louis.
Correction: Edward Jones Dome. And I'm happy to pay for those things; we certainly use them. And I'd have to dig out my last bill (which was in 2008; we didn't go to the park this year due to my wife's pregnancy), but I swear we payed 25% in hotel tax last time (though part of that may have been sales tax, which is about 9% in St. Louis).

I'm not even talking about sales tax revenues.  Why bring up the topic for the Orioles have had 12 straight losing seasons?   Undecided
You have to spend money to make money. If the Orioles aren't willing to spend the money, they won't have a successful team. But I guess Baltimore figures Camden Yards has long since paid itself off, so it's not really a concern.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:19:40 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #516 on: October 19, 2009, 12:33:32 AM »

There were others before him, and there will be others after him. He's said publicly he's staying with the Redbirds as long as they pay him competitively, and I have every reason to believe we will continue to do so. He is one of the best players in the game, and he is excellent at training some of our newer and/or less talented players to play far beyond what we thought possible. I think we're content to reach into our pretty deep pockets for a player like Albert.

Some day in Missouri, there may be an Albert Pujols baseball campus like Cal Ripken, Jr. has in Aberdeen, MD.

Exactly. That's why they built the House That Resembles the One Ruth Built, but That We Bulldozed For a Bigger Profit.

At least the "original" House that Ruth built will become a public park.

Correction: Edward Jones Dome. And I'm happy to pay for those things; we certainly use them. And I'd have to dig out my last bill (which was in 2008; we didn't go to the park this year due to my wife's pregnancy), but I swear we payed 25% in hotel tax last time (though part of that may have been sales tax, which is about 9% in St. Louis).

Thanks for the correction; I forgot about the name change based on reading outdated links from search engines.  If the local sales tax is 9%, do these other voter approved taxes add up to 16% to arrive at the 25% number you cited?

You have to spend money to make money. If the Orioles aren't willing to spend the money, they won't have a successful team. But I guess Baltimore figures Camden Yards has long since paid itself off, so it's not really a concern.

The MD Lottery provides revenue to pay off the bonds used to build the baseball and football stadiums.  Camden Yards has been around for 20 years since its groundbreaking.  M&T Bank Stadium has been around for 14 years since its groundbreaking.  I think the State took out 20 Year bonds to pay for construction.  Besides, the rental agreements for the Orioles and Ravens contain a parity clause so if one team receives HD Upgrades, so does the other team.

Jerry Jones spent $1.2 Billion to build his own stadium and he has total control of revenues (I'm not sure how Dallas Metro area deals with tax structures).  Daniel Snyder also controls revenue for the Redskins.  Peter Angelos (owner of Orioles) knows his team is worth 4-6 times what he paid for it in US Bankruptcy Court in 1993; Simple math shows that Mr. Angelos took the $150 Million he received from MD in a tobacco settlement and multiplied that amount many times (as owner of Orioles) over while performing civic and philanthropic work in and around Baltimore area.  Angelos knows he can't compete with Steinbrenner, Henry and others who want to spend 9 digits except Angelos knows that the Twins and Rays have been successful with lower payrolls.  Loser is the last word in Peter Angelos' vocabulary.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #517 on: October 19, 2009, 06:23:05 AM »

Why begrudge Steinbrenner (or anyone else for that matter) for spending money on their team? This is what capitolism is all about. You work hard, earn your money, then have the right to spend it how you choose.

Steinbrenner chooses to spend it on investing in talent and on a new stadium for his team.

He's not asking for the taxpayers of NY to pay for it, so what's the problem?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:23:31 AM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #518 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:53 AM »

Thanks for the correction; I forgot about the name change based on reading outdated links from search engines.  If the local sales tax is 9%, do these other voter approved taxes add up to 16% to arrive at the 25% number you cited?
I'm trying to remember from over a year ago, and I've apparently not kept the paperwork this long. I've looked it up on the St. Louis County site, though, and they say 7.25%, so we actually paid about 16.25%.

http://revenue.stlouisco.com/Licensing/HotelRoom.aspx

The MD Lottery provides revenue to pay off the bonds used to build the baseball and football stadiums.  Camden Yards has been around for 20 years since its groundbreaking.  M&T Bank Stadium has been around for 14 years since its groundbreaking.  I think the State took out 20 Year bonds to pay for construction.  Besides, the rental agreements for the Orioles and Ravens contain a parity clause so if one team receives HD Upgrades, so does the other team.
Makes sense to use the lottery if state funds paid for the stadiums. Are the Ravens any good? More importantly, do they generate tourism and retail sales?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #519 on: October 19, 2009, 02:14:31 PM »

Why begrudge Steinbrenner (or anyone else for that matter) for spending money on their team? This is what capitolism is all about. You work hard, earn your money, then have the right to spend it how you choose.

Steinbrenner chooses to spend it on investing in talent and on a new stadium for his team.

He's not asking for the taxpayers of NY to pay for it, so what's the problem?
But is it really wise to enforce Capitalism upon professional sports when the end result is small-market cities rarely able to rally around teams that actually have a chance of competing for national championships, or at least winning more games than they lose?  Professional sports teams don't make big profits just by working hard and winning; they also have to benefit from playing before large crowds of paying spectators.  Teams in smaller cities just don't have the fan base to be able to draw such crowds, so they bring in less money than the big market teams like the Yankees.  Less money from ticket sales means less money to pay players, which ultimately means that successful small-market teams find it much harder to sustain their success and unsuccessful small-market teams find it much harder to become successful.  Say what you want about the merits of Capitalism, but I don't think the kind of setup I just described is good for professional sports.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #520 on: October 19, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »

I'm trying to remember from over a year ago, and I've apparently not kept the paperwork this long. I've looked it up on the St. Louis County site, though, and they say 7.25%, so we actually paid about 16.25%.

http://revenue.stlouisco.com/Licensing/HotelRoom.aspx

I thought St. Louis was an independent city; although if you stayed at a hotel in St. Louis County, never mind.   Embarrassed

So, 16.25% combined tax rate isn't "bad."  A $119 room night costs $19.34 vs. $30 that was cited earlier - saving $10.66.   Smiley

Makes sense to use the lottery if state funds paid for the stadiums. Are the Ravens any good? More importantly, do they generate tourism and retail sales?

Ravens won Super Bowl in 2000, after St. Louis won in 1999.  Since 2000, I believe the Ravens have two sub-500 seasons unlike the Rams.

Thousands of Ravens fans come via bus from Central PA just for the day (no hotels, no sightseeing).  Baltimore receives more economic benefit from the tens of thousands of Yankee and Red Sox fans who invade Camden Yards although the ecnonomic recession slightly reduced those numbers.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #521 on: October 20, 2009, 07:16:35 AM »

I thought St. Louis was an independent city; although if you stayed at a hotel in St. Louis County, never mind.   Embarrassed
It is. Actually, it's set up just like Baltimore. We usually do stay in the county; hotels downtown are much too expensive.

Ravens won Super Bowl in 2000, after St. Louis won in 1999.  Since 2000, I believe the Ravens have two sub-500 seasons unlike the Rams.
Okay, so since they've been rather poor for some time, I'm guessing the bandwagon fan base has fallen off. Always happens.

Thousands of Ravens fans come via bus from Central PA just for the day (no hotels, no sightseeing).  Baltimore receives more economic benefit from the tens of thousands of Yankee and Red Sox fans who invade Camden Yards although the ecnonomic recession slightly reduced those numbers.
And this is one of the biggest draws for the small-market teams. The bigger ones with a national fan base will come to these smaller teams' stadiums and will provide some much-needed revenue. To this day the only games I've seen at Kauffman Stadium have been when the Red Sox or Cardinals were playing.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #522 on: October 23, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »

Ok, I have a hockey question. Why do so many people talk about how many shots Ovechkin takes like it's a good thing? To have a high scoring percentage is a good thing, but what is inherently good about simply taking a lot of shots?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:22:16 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #523 on: October 23, 2009, 03:23:52 PM »

Ok, I have a hockey question. Why do so many people talk about how many shots Ovechkin takes like it's a good thing? To have a high scoring percentage is a good thing, but what is inherently good about simply taking a lot of shots?
Is it really so many people who say this? Or merely the sportscasters? Because I have yet to hear any modern sportscaster who has a positive IQ.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:25:59 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #524 on: October 23, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »

Lol, well now that I think about it, it's just the broadcasters and analysts I see on TV.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #525 on: October 23, 2009, 06:27:41 PM »

I think the point that they are trying to make is that it is a good thing to shoot the puck if you have an excellent shot and are in position to get a good shot at the net.  They make this point because some finesse players (particularly Europeans, or so we are told) have a tendency to dipsy-doodle and try and make the perfect play, instead of just taking a shot when they have good position.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #526 on: October 23, 2009, 06:42:13 PM »

I think the point that they are trying to make is that it is a good thing to shoot the puck if you have an excellent shot and are in position to get a good shot at the net.  They make this point because some finesse players (particularly Europeans, or so we are told) have a tendency to dipsy-doodle and try and make the perfect play, instead of just taking a shot when they have good position.

Very good point. Ales Hemsky is a perfect example of this. Getting any shots on net is a good thing...as long as you learn to clean up the garbage.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #527 on: October 23, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »

Yeah, good point Smiley

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #528 on: October 23, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »

Getting any shots on net is a good thing...as long as you learn to clean up the garbage.

Well said!  A shot on net is never actually a bad idea.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:58:35 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #529 on: October 24, 2009, 07:24:20 PM »

Why would Tennessee kick another long field goal given that one was already blocked?  They had plenty of time to either score a TD or try a much shorter field goal.

Otherwise, Tennessee played well enough to upset #1 Alabama.  Pat Summitt could coach the Vols better than Lane Kiffin....
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #530 on: October 24, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »

Why would Tennessee kick another long field goal given that one was already blocked?  They had plenty of time to either score a TD or try a much shorter field goal.

Otherwise, Tennessee played well enough to upset #1 Alabama.  Pat Summitt could coach the Vols better than Lane Kiffin....

As a BAMA fan, I gotta disagree with you. Give Kiffin credit, he outcoached Saban today. We successfully run the ball with Heisman Trophy candidate Mark Ingram until we get inside the 10, then we try to pass 3 consecutive times! Our coaching cost Ingram the Heisman today; and more importantly it almost cost us the game.

There were only 4 seconds left in the game when Tenn tried the game winning field goal. What else were they supposed to do? Terrance Cody just made two incredible plays to salvage the game for us. WOW!

Hey, we'll take a win over the Hillbillies any way we can get it. But I'm absolutely disgusted that it even came down to that. "The 3rd Saturday in October" is always gonna be a slug fest, but that was ridiculous! Whew! Tongue

Nevertheless.....  Mt. Cody Rises Above the Smokies!!!

ROLL TIDE!  Wink ROLL TIDE!  Smiley ROLL TIDE!  Wink ROLL TIDE!  Smiley ROLL TIDE!  Wink ROLL TIDE!  Smiley ROLL TIDE!  Wink  ROLL TIDE  Smiley  ROLL TIDE   Wink  ROLL TIDE  Smiley  ROLL TIDE   Wink  ROLL TIDE   Smiley  ROLL TIDE   Wink

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #531 on: October 24, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »

You have any idea how hard it is to block a field goal, then do it again later in the same quarter?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:38:00 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #532 on: October 25, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »

"Mt. Cody" better show up for the probable BCS Championship Game against Florida.   Roll Eyes

BCS is in desperate need of ratings and there is nothing like 2 SEC competitors, ranked #1 and #2, playing each other again.

Tebow ties Hershel Walker for most TDs in NCAA history and throws 2 pick sixes against Mississippi St.  I've never been impressed with Tebow.  If any NFL team drafts him, they can convert him to a short yardage fullback given his history of concussions.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #533 on: October 25, 2009, 12:05:15 AM »

You have any idea how hard it is to block a field goal, then do it again later in the same quarter?

There was an obvious mismatch in the trenches between Tennessee's field goal unit and Cody which allowed Cody to elevate and block the kicks.  Tennessee had 40 seconds left after the big play for first down; they could have tried to gain 20 yards for a shorter kick or go for the TD since they were moving the ball at will against the Tide.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #534 on: October 25, 2009, 12:10:03 AM »

The Beavers blew it against the Trojans; otherwise, they had a good chance to beat USC at a home night game.

Navy (6-2) and Maryland (2-6) ought to switch places with the Mids joining the ACC (football only) and Maryland playing Independents like Notre Dame.

Georgia Tech runs Navy's offense almost as good as ... wait a minute, Navy's former coach is at Ga. Tech.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #535 on: October 25, 2009, 12:15:32 AM »

"Mt. Cody" better show up for the probable BCS Championship Game against Florida.   Roll Eyes

BCS is in desperate need of ratings and there is nothing like 2 SEC competitors, ranked #1 and #2, playing each other again.

Tebow ties Hershel Walker for most TDs in NCAA history and throws 2 pick sixes against Mississippi St.  I've never been impressed with Tebow.  If any NFL team drafts him, they can convert him to a short yardage fullback given his history of concussions.

Well, as much as all the pundits want to pencil in us vs Florida for the SEC Championship, we're gonna take it one game at a time. It's clear to me that we can be beat by any SEC team at any time. But Champions survive and advance- day by day, week by week, game by game...   just like in life.

Either way, I'm proud of the way BAMA does things. Nick Saban has a classy team that plays with class and character. He's restored the integrity of the program and got our standards back in line with our storied tradition.

Dare I say it... BAMA is the Orthodoxy of college football: TRADITION! Wink

Selam
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:16:20 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #536 on: October 25, 2009, 12:28:20 AM »

Well, as much as all the pundits want to pencil in us vs Florida for the SEC Championship, we're gonna take it one game at a time. It's clear to me that we can be beat by any SEC team at any time. But Champions survive and advance- day by day, week by week, game by game...   just like in life.

Thanks for mentioning Alabama and Florida playing each other in the SEC Championship for that means Alabama and Florida have the chance to play each other three times in one season.  The Tide still has LSU, Miss. St., Chattanooga and Auburn - 3 tough Conference Games.

Either way, I'm proud of the way BAMA does things. Nick Saban has a classy team that plays with class and character. He's restored the integrity of the program and got our standards back in line with our storied tradition.

Remember, I like Bear for he was the first college coach I remember (Tom Landry and his hat and overcoat for the NFL).  I have no issue with the Tide; I have issues with the SEC and poor officiating.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #537 on: October 25, 2009, 12:36:53 AM »

Thanks for mentioning Alabama and Florida playing each other in the SEC Championship for that means Alabama and Florida have the chance to play each other three times in one season.  The Tide still has LSU, Miss. St., Chattanooga and Auburn - 3 tough Conference Games.

Remember, I like Bear for he was the first college coach I remember (Tom Landry and his hat and overcoat for the NFL).  I have no issue with the Tide; I have issues with the SEC and poor officiating.

Well, we haven't played Florida this season and won't unless we meet them in the SEC Championship. But yeah, we've got 3 tough SEC Western Division teams left on the schedule. LSU probably has as much pure athletic talent as any team in the SEC (or the country); Miss State can upset anyone; and of course you can throw out the record books when it comes to the Iron Bowl.

I'm with you though, it doesn't get more classy than Tom Landry and Bear Bryant. And I still think Roger Staubach is the greatest all around QB that ever played the game.

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #538 on: October 25, 2009, 01:07:55 AM »

Dare I say it... BAMA is the Orthodoxy of college football: TRADITION!

I guess that makes Penn State the Roman Catholics, with Joe Pa as Pope  Tongue

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #539 on: October 25, 2009, 01:53:03 AM »

Dare I say it... BAMA is the Orthodoxy of college football: TRADITION!

I guess that makes Penn State the Roman Catholics, with Joe Pa as Pope  Tongue

Notre Dame might disagree with you. Cheesy

Selam

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: