OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 05:41:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 349134 times) Average Rating: 5
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2009, 04:38:33 PM »

Not that I have any love for the Ducks, Bob, but what's with the hatred for Anaheim?  Cheesy

Hmmm.  I'll try outlining in a list format why I have such trouble with the Ducks.

1.  Chris Pronger is on their team.
2.  They may be the dirtiest team in the league.
3.  I am a Senators fan.....I don't really understand how the Ducks managed to beat the Wings in 2007 to get to the final, and, well, need I go into the rest? haha.
4.  IMHO they aren't that interesting a team to watch, though they do sometimes display an admirable dogged determination. 
And finally, #5:  Chris Pronger is on their team.   Wink
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:39:43 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2009, 11:09:09 PM »

Simple resolution, have Pronger traded to the Senators...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »

Simple resolution, have Pronger traded to the Senators...

Funny.   Roll Eyes

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »

Did somebody say something about the Capitals getting to the finals?

Go Pens!

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »

^Actually, Pravoslavbob, Greinke's ERA after a 6-0 start is 0.40.  That's been done by only two other people.  One of them was Fernando Venenzuela back in 1980, I think.  Can't remember the other guy.  Either way, it's damn impressive.
I think Randy Johnson did something like that once.

Not according to ESPN who compiled the stats of starting pitchers who went 6-0 with an ERA under .50.  There were only the three--Greinke, Venenzuela and some other guy.  I'm not going to argue with those guys.

BTW, how close is Johnson to winning #300?  Now that is far more impressive than a .50 ERA.

I'll be impressed when someone breaks Cy Young's win record. 512 is the magic number.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2009, 06:41:44 PM »

^Actually, Pravoslavbob, Greinke's ERA after a 6-0 start is 0.40.  That's been done by only two other people.  One of them was Fernando Venenzuela back in 1980, I think.  Can't remember the other guy.  Either way, it's damn impressive.
I think Randy Johnson did something like that once.

Not according to ESPN who compiled the stats of starting pitchers who went 6-0 with an ERA under .50.  There were only the three--Greinke, Venenzuela and some other guy.  I'm not going to argue with those guys.

BTW, how close is Johnson to winning #300?  Now that is far more impressive than a .50 ERA.

I'll be impressed when someone breaks Cy Young's win record. 512 is the magic number.

-Nick
Yeah, and Cy Young pitched every other day, too.  Ain't no manager even going to think about allowing a starting pitcher to do that nowadays.

Hey, did anyone happen to see the Phillies' Jayson Werth steal second, third, and home on the same trip around the bases during the seventh inning of yesterday's game against the Dodgers? Shocked

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/For-one-night-Jayson-Werth-goes-klepto-on-the-b?urn=mlb,163155
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:03:38 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »

Did anyone see Dodger center fielder Matt Kemp score from 2nd on a bunt ?

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »

You're kidding me! Is there a video of this?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »

No, but I saw 2 homeruns get called back on replay.

-Nick

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »

Bye, bye, Celtics!  Orlando starts 4th Quarter w/ 13-1 run to expand their 5 point lead after 3 and bury Boston.

It's time now for King James to take the crown. Grin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:20:34 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2009, 11:58:47 PM »

King James reign will end in LA...

Celtics were doomed without Garnett...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2009, 12:18:23 AM »

Nah!  Cleveland has been deadly consistent, while the Lakers have been self-admittedly bipolar.

Yup.  No doubt about that.  No one to match up on Dwight Howard to keep him from pulling down rebounds and scoring points.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2009, 12:23:01 AM »

Who has defeated Cleveland at home ?

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2009, 12:36:20 AM »

It's all about the Royals!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2009, 12:44:58 AM »

Who has defeated Cleveland at home ?
Like that matters in the NBA Finals?
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:12 AM »

Everything matters...when Phil gets into your head

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2009, 03:00:07 AM »

Everything matters...when Phil gets into your head
Didn't help the Lakers against Boston last year, especially that last game when the Celtics beat LA by 32.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2009, 07:22:20 PM »

I agree.  Although, I really thought they were going to beat the Magic and then lose to the Cavs.

I'm a big KG fan, and I was not happy with the news of his injury.  Sad

Was anyone here shocked as I was when KG decided to leave Minnesota last year to join the Celtics?   There were rumors of him leaving, but it was to join the Lakers though, not the Celtics.
And I totally was not happy seeing Paul Pierce getting MVP last year.  If anything, Ray Allen in my opinion deserved it more (if not KG).

PS I think Cavs will beat Orlando 4-0, Lakers will beat Nuggets 4-3, and Cavs will beat Lakers 4-0.  I can smell it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:23:55 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:37 PM »

I agree.  Although, I really thought they were going to beat the Magic and then lose to the Cavs.

Was anyone here shocked as I was when KG decided to leave Minnesota last year to join the Celtics?   There were rumors of him leaving, but it was to join the Lakers though, not the Celtics.
And I totally was not happy seeing Paul Pierce getting MVP last year.  If anything, Ray Allen in my opinion deserved it more (if not KG).

PS I think Cavs will beat Orlando 4-0, Lakers will beat Nuggets 4-3, and Cavs will beat Lakers 4-0.  I can smell it.
So, you think the Cavs will actually do what no one else has done before:  win every playoff game?  Of course, they just became the first team to ever win their first eight playoff games by double-digit margins.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:51:17 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2009, 08:18:26 PM »

So, you think the Cavs will actually do what no one else has done before:  win every playoff game?  Of course, they just became the first team to ever win their first eight playoff games by double-digit margins.

I just have a feeling that this time, it will happen.  But I know chances are I'm wrong.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »

What happened to those Cavs and King James ? They lost at home to...the Magic  Tongue

Who knew...  Cool
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 10:40:00 PM by Jakub » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »

What happened to those Cavs and King James ? They lost at home to...the Magic  Tongue

Who knew...  Cool
But I don't think they'll lose another home game in this series.  They know now that they can't just stand around and let King James carry the team over the Magic by himself.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #202 on: May 22, 2009, 12:05:57 AM »

As long as King James has no real help, SuperHoward and the Magic win the series.

I can't wait to see King James sprinkle his magic dust for the Knicks.  He will bring the Knicks back to glory just as KG did for the Celtics.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #203 on: May 22, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »

As long as King James has no real help, SuperHoward and the Magic win the series.
Oh, King James has teammates capable of giving him the help he needs, as evidenced by Cleveland's ability to jump out to a 15-point halftime lead.  They just need to keep active for the whole 48 minutes and not grow complacent to the point of sitting back and watching LeBron attack the defense by himself.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:34:12 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2009, 01:04:21 AM »

Oh, King James has teammates capable of giving him the help he needs, as evidenced by Cleveland's ability to jump out to a 15-point halftime lead.  They just need to keep active for the whole 48 minutes and not grow complacent to the point of sitting back and watching LeBron attack the defense by himself.

Thanks for reminding me, The Cavs coach is nothing like zen master Phil Jackson. 
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2009, 01:21:52 AM »

Looks like King James just one-upped the last superstar basketball player to wear his number 23.  Remember Michael Jordan over the Cavaliers' Craig Ehlo?  Now it's LeBron James over Hedo Turkoglu.  (buzzer-beating 3-pointer to win Game 2 by 1 and tie the series at 1-1)
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »

One lucky shot...but he's not in Jordan's league yet

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2009, 04:10:49 AM »

But then neither was Jordan when he hit the shot over Ehlo (in that MJ was still a few years away from winning his first NBA title).
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

But then neither was Jordan when he hit the shot over Ehlo (in that MJ was still a few years away from winning his first NBA title).

LeBron James will NEVER be in Michael Jordan's League.

-Nick

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »

Wasn't Michael Jordan's league the NBA? Wink

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2009, 01:02:41 PM »

King James will surpass Jordan if he signs with the Knicks or Panathiakos in Greece or China's #1 team.   Wink

I'm a Knick fan - through good and bad - through Ewing's missed tip in against the Pacers on May 21, 1995.   Cry
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2009, 02:58:02 PM »

boy was i wrong...twice!

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »

King James will surpass Jordan if he signs with the Knicks or Panathiakos in Greece or China's #1 team.   Wink

I'm a Knick fan - through good and bad - through Ewing's missed tip in against the Pacers on May 21, 1995.   Cry

I seriously doubt Jordan will be surpassed by James. James is not the all around player that Jordan was, nor is he able to single handedly carry his team through the playoffs. Further, the teams these days are weaker than the teams in the 80s and 90s when Jordan played. James may statistically pass Jordan, but he will never be greater than Jordan.

-Nick

SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:29 PM »

I seriously doubt Jordan will be surpassed by James. James is not the all around player that Jordan was, nor is he able to single handedly carry his team through the playoffs. Further, the teams these days are weaker than the teams in the 80s and 90s when Jordan played. James may statistically pass Jordan, but he will never be greater than Jordan.

-Nick

As you said, NBA Parity will cost James his chance to eclipse Jordan.  Look at Orlando knocking off Boston (without an injured KG).  James is still young except it is more difficult to win back to back Championships never mind 6.  That is why for the right price, James can establish international fame by playing in China (as rumored) or Greece (as rumored).
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2009, 04:46:20 PM »

-Nick

As you said, NBA Parity will cost James his chance to eclipse Jordan.  Look at Orlando knocking off Boston (without an injured KG).  James is still young except it is more difficult to win back to back Championships never mind 6.  That is why for the right price, James can establish international fame by playing in China (as rumored) or Greece (as rumored).

Not even Orlando, the Bulls almost knocked off the defending champions..........

-nick

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2009, 04:49:50 PM »

-Nick
I'd be willing to bet that Jordan would have never won an NBA title if he didn't have Scottie Pippen as his sidekick.  Everyone likes to point out that Pippen never won an NBA title without Jordan, which is correct.  But what most of these pundits overlook in their Jordan-mania is that Jordan never won an NBA title without Pippen, either.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 04:53:30 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »

Not to change the current subject, but I'm looking in my closet for the broom.

LETS GO PENS

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »

As most of us saw, the 2004 Greek Olympic team picked and rolled their way around the US team, with Lebron James.

Wouldn't James just want to play with these pick and roll artists and Jeff van Gundy learning Greek and coaching Panathiakos.   Tongue
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »

As most of us saw, the 2004 Greek Olympic team picked and rolled their way around the US team, with Lebron James.
But King James has since worked on his defense to the point that he actually finished second this year (incidentally, to Dwight Howard, the centerpiece of the Orlando Magic defense LeBron now has to attack) in the NBA Defensive Player of the Year voting.
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2009, 05:23:07 PM »

But King James has since worked on his defense to the point that he actually finished second this year (incidentally, to Dwight Howard, the centerpiece of the Orlando Magic defense LeBron now has to attack) in the NBA Defensive Player of the Year voting.

What a difference 5 years makes.  Without a sidekick a la Pippen, James will be known only for his magic dust.

In Greece, James could average 45 pts a game and have 2 or 3 Scottie Pippen wannabes as a competent supporting cast.   Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »

What a difference 5 years makes.  Without a sidekick a la Pippen, James will be known only for his magic dust.

In Greece, James could average 45 pts a game and have 2 or 3 Scottie Pippen wannabes as a competent supporting cast.   Wink
But, when NBA players take winning the Olympic Gold seriously, no international team can beat them.
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »

-Nick
I'd be willing to bet that Jordan would have never won an NBA title if he didn't have Scottie Pippen as his sidekick.  Everyone likes to point out that Pippen never won an NBA title without Jordan, which is correct.  But what most of these pundits overlook in their Jordan-mania is that Jordan never won an NBA title without Pippen, either.

I can see that supported, but I would wager that Pippen could've been replaced and the Bulls still would've won. In 1998 when the Bulls went 62-20 Pippen only Played in 44 games that season. If they won every game Pippen played in, they would've had an 18-20 record extrapolating this over 82 games would give you approximately a 41-41 record. Now thats probably stretching it since I'm sure they lost games that Pippen played in, so that would change the stats. It would be interesting to run a sim on one of those basketball games from the 90s to see what the Bulls would do with and withhout Pippen.

-Nick

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »

King James and his court look like they're going to become the victims of a Magic Siege!

-Nick

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »

I was so wrong....

Never again am I going to back a flawless record...sheesh!  They were so on fire.  Man if Orlando struggled against Celtics, then what does that say about a KG-less Celtics against the Cavs?

What a shame!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:47:26 PM by minasoliman » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »

-Nick

I can see that supported, but I would wager that Pippen could've been replaced and the Bulls still would've won. In 1998 when the Bulls went 62-20 Pippen only Played in 44 games that season. If they won every game Pippen played in, they would've had an 18-20 record extrapolating this over 82 games would give you approximately a 41-41 record. Now thats probably stretching it since I'm sure they lost games that Pippen played in, so that would change the stats. It would be interesting to run a sim on one of those basketball games from the 90s to see what the Bulls would do with and withhout Pippen.

-Nick
Well, it looks as if Jordan had just started to hit his prime when Pippen joined the Bulls and Pippen had just started his decline when Jordan left the Bulls for good after the 1998 championship.  The Bulls were certainly blessed to have both athletes playing together in their primes.  Mike and Scottie made so much court magic together.

BTW, I still haven't forgiven Jordan for knocking down five three-pointers in the first half of Game 1 against my Blazers (1992 NBA Finals). Angry  Just kidding. Wink  Even though the Blazers lost that series, I considered it a great treat to be able to watch those two teams go head to head, when my summer military training allowed--I was on a 2-week exercise with many of the Marines from my reserve battalion.  The matchup of Clyde Drexler vs. Michael Jordan, the two best shooting guards of that day, was a spectacle to see!
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: