OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:03:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 388734 times) Average Rating: 5
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #945 on: January 01, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »

Oregon had their chances.  They should have gone for it on 4th and 1 in the 4th Quarter rather than try a 44 yard field goal.
Why?  They needed 3 and 7 to win.  Does it matter which comes first?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #946 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:50 PM »

I'll take Oregon over Ohio State.   Smiley

Do so at your own peril Wink
Is your defense starting to have nightmares yet about how they're going to stop Jeremiah Masoli, LaMichael James, and LaGarrette Blount?  If not, they should. Grin

I'll take Oregon over Ohio State.   Smiley

Do so at your own peril Wink
Is your defense starting to have nightmares yet about how they're going to stop Jeremiah Masoli, LaMichael James, and LaGarrette Blount?  If not, they should. Grin

Hardly.  Our D held USC without a touchdown for 99% of the game; the first one was a fluke (4 downs to get 7 yards), and the last one - well, the O had let us down in that (and most other) game.  Even you guys couldn't do that in your rout of the Trojans.
But then, when you score 47 against the Trojans, you really don't need to stop them on every drive.  The other thing to remember is that you still lost to the Trojans, despite this defensive effort you brag about.

You have to admit that it's pretty bad for the Big 10 when your conference champions lose to a team that finished 5-4 in the Pac 10.

Just so you know, Crow is usually offered in aisle 9, next to the cream corn.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Tongue  Give credit to the Buckeye defense for keeping up with Oregon's frenetic offensive pace and neutralizing the Ducks' speed.  I also have to admit that the Pac-10 as a whole looked rather weak in bowl games this year.  2-5 with the average score of the five losses being 18-34.  One team lost 0-33, and another 20-44.  Only the two LA teams managed to do anything good. Tongue
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #947 on: January 02, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »

Oregon had their chances.  They should have gone for it on 4th and 1 in the 4th Quarter rather than try a 44 yard field goal.

Is it easier to gain 1 yard or kick a 44 yard FG on a neutral site?  Oregon never got the ball back after missing the FG.

Cincy is getting trounced although I would say that Cincy's coaching upheaval is more to blame than Meyer/Tebow.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #948 on: January 02, 2010, 03:36:32 AM »

The Baltimore Ravens and Oakland Raiders have each amassed 193 Penalties through 15 games for an average of nearly 13 a game.

I hope the Refs brought extra flags....
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #949 on: January 02, 2010, 03:42:14 AM »

Let's go Royals!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #950 on: January 02, 2010, 06:30:39 PM »

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Tongue  Give credit to the Buckeye defense for keeping up with Oregon's frenetic offensive pace and neutralizing the Ducks' speed.  I also have to admit that the Pac-10 as a whole looked rather weak in bowl games this year.  2-5 with the average score of the five losses being 18-34.  One team lost 0-33, and another 20-44.  Only the two LA teams managed to do anything good. Tongue

My usual argument is this, and it is borne out by experience: our D usually steps up to the challenge when the O doesn't stink.  When the O is uncreative (the National Championship against Florida when they could practically predict each play after the 1st quarter, for example), then the D is on the field too long and is no better than a sieve.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #951 on: January 02, 2010, 06:32:15 PM »

Let's go Royals!

I guess the offseason is when they're doing their best!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #952 on: January 02, 2010, 06:32:35 PM »

The Baltimore Ravens and Oakland Raiders have each amassed 193 Penalties through 15 games for an average of nearly 13 a game.

Yikes.  Fields of yellow await.

---------------------
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #953 on: January 02, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »

No wonder Texas dominated the "Micro 12 Conference" when teams like Oklahoma St. turn the ball over on the final 5 possessions like they did against Ole Miss.

I like Alabama and Texas; however, Alabama ought to score 30 without breaking a sweat and win decisively.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #954 on: January 02, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »

No wonder Texas dominated the "Micro 12 Conference" when teams like Oklahoma St. turn the ball over on the final 5 possessions like they did against Ole Miss.

I like Alabama and Texas; however, Alabama ought to score 30 without breaking a sweat and win decisively.

I hope you're right, but I think it's gonna be closer than some people think. Texas showed that they can win against a great defense, as they did against Nebraska. But I think we have a much better offense that Nebraska, and our defense is second to none. I'm a bit concerned about that big fullback they have. But then again, we have Mt. Cody. As long as we play Bama football for 4 quarters, we should come out with the W. ROLL TIDE!

Selam
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:41:54 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #955 on: January 03, 2010, 04:03:34 AM »

Is it easier to gain 1 yard or kick a 44 yard FG on a neutral site?  Oregon never got the ball back after missing the FG.
That's not because the Ducks attempted a FG, though.  That's because they couldn't stop the Buckeye offense when they most needed to.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #956 on: January 03, 2010, 04:06:20 AM »

You happen to get a good angle on that flag the Rose Bowl ref threw about 40 yards?  The farthest one of the TV broadcasters had ever seen a ref throw his flag.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #957 on: January 03, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »

You happen to get a good angle on that flag the Rose Bowl ref threw about 40 yards?  The farthest one of the TV broadcasters had ever seen a ref throw his flag.

Must have been during our prayer or the beginning of our meal.  I had to miss a good portion of the 2nd quarter, and part of the 1st.

---------------------
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #958 on: January 04, 2010, 03:28:43 AM »

Ravens - Patriots II may be interesting without Welker and if the Ravens can commit fewer penalties than the game time temperature in Foxboro.

Eagles - Cowboys III could be Romo's redemption (without Jessica Simpson in the stands).

Packers - Cardinals II - toss up.

Jets - Bengals II - Jets, with #1 defense and Mark Sanchez as Trent Dilfer II, could repeat what the Ravens did in 2000 and reach the SB.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #959 on: January 04, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »

I'm glad I don't have to listen to another offseason of the overly-arrogant Stillers fans.  Good riddance.

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #960 on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »

3 Days to #13!  (I Hope Smiley)

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #961 on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:29 AM »

Looks like Boise State has a pretty deep bag of tricks.
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #962 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »

Will that be enough to move either or both the Pac-10 and the Mountain West to get off their duffs and expand?

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #963 on: January 05, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »

Big Ten ought to extend an invitation to Boise State.  After all, the Big Ten is looking to expand and who really wants to play in Boise (or State College or Columbus or Ann Arbor).

If St. Louis can be in the Atlantic-10, I can't see why Boise State can't be an effective participant in the Big 10.  Sure beats the "Pico 12 Conference."   Grin
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #964 on: January 05, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »

And, while they're at it, have the Big Ten rename itself the Big North.

BSU in the "Big North" makes about as much sence as TCU in the Mountain West, but then, the geography of BCS college football is just not commensurate with neat divisions of 12-team conferences.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #965 on: January 06, 2010, 03:44:28 AM »

Redskins fans, especially those on the Julian Calendar, your Christmas present has arrived in Mike Shanahan.   Grin

Mike Shanahan is coming to town.  Don't fault his 8-8 record in his final season in Denver; his successor also went 8-8 and lost 8 of the last 10 in the process in a pattern eerily resembling that of Jim Zorn.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #966 on: January 06, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »

SolEX01

I see you're from central Maryland (I live on the other side of the border in Fairfax, Va.).  If you have a favorite professional team, which team is it?  If you are a Ravens' fan, where you a Colts' fan before they left town in the middle of the night? 
Caught a bit of sportscenter this morning, it seems Shanahan is signed to a five year deal where he and Allen will make all football decisions (with Shanahan having the final word).  Seems that Snyder alienated enough fans to get him to finally change his ways (who knows, perhaps Snyder will eventually become a "hero" or sorts in D.C. if he can finally get the Skins' back to the winning ways of the 80s and early 90s). 
Now, if Snyder can only get a new stadium built in D.C., all will be perfect lol.  I've been to both FedEx and RFK (though the latter for Navy's bowl game last year; not for a Skins' game) but while waiting for the bowl game to begin there was a historical reel playing on the big screen informing the viewer of the history of RFK.  I don't know, there was something almost "sacred" about RFK that I never felt in FedEx...dare I say almost a "Lambeau" mystique.  The Skins' should be playing in the heart of D.C., not so deep into the state of Maryland.
And I can't believe i'm saying this, but I hope the Cowboys win this weekend.  No team I despise more than those darn Eagles.
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #967 on: January 06, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »

SolEX01

I see you're from central Maryland (I live on the other side of the border in Fairfax, Va.).  If you have a favorite professional team, which team is it?  If you are a Ravens' fan, where you a Colts' fan before they left town in the middle of the night? 
Caught a bit of sportscenter this morning, it seems Shanahan is signed to a five year deal where he and Allen will make all football decisions (with Shanahan having the final word).  Seems that Snyder alienated enough fans to get him to finally change his ways (who knows, perhaps Snyder will eventually become a "hero" or sorts in D.C. if he can finally get the Skins' back to the winning ways of the 80s and early 90s). 
Now, if Snyder can only get a new stadium built in D.C., all will be perfect lol.  I've been to both FedEx and RFK (though the latter for Navy's bowl game last year; not for a Skins' game) but while waiting for the bowl game to begin there was a historical reel playing on the big screen informing the viewer of the history of RFK.  I don't know, there was something almost "sacred" about RFK that I never felt in FedEx...dare I say almost a "Lambeau" mystique.  The Skins' should be playing in the heart of D.C., not so deep into the state of Maryland.
And I can't believe i'm saying this, but I hope the Cowboys win this weekend.  No team I despise more than those darn Eagles.

Building FedEx was a logistical mistake although the late Jack Kent Cooke deserves some credit for promoting regionalism.  The Redskins are based in Loudoun County, VA and play games in Prince George's County, MD at opposite ends of what will eventually be the Silver/Blue Metro line.  Some kind of light rail shuttle needs to be built between FedEx and the Largo Metro Station even if such a thing was used only 20 times a year.

I grew up with the Redskins after the Colts, who I never liked, left town.  I have a fondness towards the Redskins which I don't have with the Ravens although the Ravens have had good players like Heap, Mason, the late Steve McNair, et al.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #968 on: January 06, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »

the X Golden Domer has landed in KC as Offensive Coordinator...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #969 on: January 06, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »

Another Cub just elected to Cooperstown.  Andre Dawson, who played right field for the Cubs from 1987 to 1992.  One of only a few players to be honored as league MVP after playing a season for a last place team (1987).  Outfielder with home run power (438), base stealing speed (314), Gold Glove fielding ( 8 ), and an arm to shut down any first-to-third-on-a-single baserunning game.  (I think he once threw out Cardinal slugger Jack Clark at first base on what looked at first like a line-drive single to right. Shocked)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:50:19 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #970 on: January 06, 2010, 11:31:31 PM »

The Hawk deserves his place in Cooperstown - one more of my all-time favorite baseball players enshrined there.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #971 on: January 07, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »

I recall also his reaction to getting hit in the face by a pitch from Padres pitcher Eric Show.  As a Cub fan watching the game on TV, I held my breath as The Hawk lay face down on the ground for what seemed like forever.  Then he got back to his feet and stared Show down before charging the mound.  Talk about one of the most menacing glares you could ever imagine!  Dawson was P****D! Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:00:55 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

Mzack.

« Reply #972 on: January 07, 2010, 06:44:12 PM »

I'm glad I don't have to listen to another offseason of the overly-arrogant Stillers fans.  Good riddance.

You do realise, I hope, that the Steelers are just letting other teams have a chance this year? It would be no fun to win every year--which the Steelers are certainly capable of doing--so sometimes we let yuns guyz have a shot. It's sort of like a vacation. The NFL is all nit picky about the Steelers playing during the regular season, because let's be honest here, the ratings for games would be zero if not for the Steelers. It is well known that teams also need the Steelers fans to fill their stadiums, otherwise they would never have sell outs. Now, if you weren't aware, the Rooney's have a secret clause, in microscopic-sized font, in their agreement with the league, that they are allowed to take the playoffs off in the season following a Super Bowl win. It happened a few years ago, and it's happening this year as well. Rest assured, the Steelers will not lay down again next year, like they did this year to make bad teams like the Raiders feel good about themselves.

Tongue
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #973 on: January 07, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »

I recall also his reaction to getting hit in the face by a pitch from Padres pitcher Eric Show.  As a Cub fan watching the game on TV, I held my breath as The Hawk lay face down on the ground for what seemed like forever.  Then he got back to his feet and stared Show down before charging the mound.  Talk about one of the most menacing glares you could ever imagine!  Dawson was P****D! Angry Angry Angry
A little bit of baseball trivia from this fracas:  One inning later, a young Cub pitcher pitching only his second year in the Bigs was ejected for hitting Padres hitter Benito Santiago with an apparent retaliatory pitch.  The pitcher's name:  Greg Maddux.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #974 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »

Another Cub just elected to Cooperstown.  Andre Dawson, who played right field for the Cubs from 1987 to 1992.  

Hawk was drafted by Montreal and spent more time with the Expos than with any other team in the major leagues.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #975 on: January 08, 2010, 12:55:12 AM »

At the 2 minute warning..... Bama scores and is going to WIN!  Congrats, Gebre!   Smiley
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #976 on: January 08, 2010, 01:32:08 AM »

Another Cub just elected to Cooperstown.  Andre Dawson, who played right field for the Cubs from 1987 to 1992.  

Hawk was drafted by Montreal and spent more time with the Expos than with any other team in the major leagues.
Yeah, I know that.  I recognize that for that reason he will most likely be inducted into the Hall as a Montreal Expo.  However, I'm a Cub fan.  I don't care about the Expos (now the Washington Nationals). Tongue
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:35:02 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #977 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:31 AM »

Texas fared no better than the rest of the "Pico 12 Conference" by turning the ball over on their final 3 possessions.

I'll leave it to Gebre with the fancy graphics.   Roll Eyes  Congrats on another National Championship for the Tide.   Smiley
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #978 on: January 08, 2010, 03:07:34 AM »

I'm so happy and proud right now. It's been a long, long time, but we're finally back. And this was the greatest season in Alabama's storied history. SEC Champions. Heisman Trophy winner. 14-0. NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

I congratulate Texas on fighting back and making it a ball game. They have a great team and they played with class. I really hate that Colt McCoy got hurt, but I think we still would have won.

It's a great day for the state of Alabama. It's another great day for the SEC. The "Process" is in place, and it will produce great things for years to come. For most people, college football is an interesting passtime; but for TIDE fans, it's a way of life.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP #13!

BAMA 37  -  TEXAS 21

ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  

Selam
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:10:23 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #979 on: January 08, 2010, 03:23:06 AM »

^  All those smileys lined up in a row like that reminded me, for some odd reason, of the pictures I've seen of monastic ossuaries. Tongue
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #980 on: January 08, 2010, 03:35:48 PM »

Yeah, I know that.  I recognize that for that reason he will most likely be inducted into the Hall as a Montreal Expo.  However, I'm a Cub fan.  I don't care about the Expos (now the Washington Nationals). Tongue

I do care about the Expos, and I am not happy that they left Montreal.  I'm not against the Cubs.  In fact, I think it would be really cool to visit Wrigley field one day and see a game. 

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #981 on: January 08, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »

Am I the only one in shock that the Jets are in the play-off's but the Giants are NOT?!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #982 on: January 08, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »

It's a great day for the state of Alabama. It's another great day for the SEC. The "Process" is in place, and it will produce great things for years to come. For most people, college football is an interesting passtime; but for TIDE fans, it's a way of life.

I don't understand this. A way of life?

I mean, football season is only a few months a year.

Does this affect how you eat, sleep, and live?

Orthodoxy is a way of life.

Football is a past time.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #983 on: January 08, 2010, 04:15:30 PM »

Reminds me of a joke:  There are two religions in Texas:  Football, and Spring Football.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #984 on: January 08, 2010, 04:36:29 PM »

I don't understand this. A way of life?

I mean, football season is only a few months a year.

Does this affect how you eat, sleep, and live?

Orthodoxy is a way of life.

Football is a past time.

BAMA football is a way of life. Orthodoxy is the way of life. Wink

Selam
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:37:11 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #985 on: January 08, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »

HandmaidenofGod

Although it is true that the football season is only a few months each season, nevertheless football is probably the single sport in America which is covered year round by sports channels and fans.  For example, the NFL pre-season begins in August, the season in September, the play-offs in January, the Super Bowl completes the NFL season in Feburary, then build-up to the draft in April (which for fans of bad teams, like myself, can be the most exciting time of the year), various OTAs and trainings camps from May to August and then it all starts over again.  Football (both college and professional) is, in my opinion, the only sport in the world where the off-season is just as interesting to follow as the season (probably due to the importance of each game during the season and post season; every game counts). Wink
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #986 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:23 PM »

Reminds me of a joke:  There are two religions in Texas:  Football, and Spring Football.
(Amish accent) Yah, and only Texans that hath a child, givest thou name Colt McCoy, as if living in thy Wild Wild West.  A Pennsylvanian football family wouldst givest a Biblical name like Samuel Howitzer Hochstetler.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #987 on: January 09, 2010, 12:56:56 AM »

HandmaidenofGod

Although it is true that the football season is only a few months each season, nevertheless football is probably the single sport in America which is covered year round by sports channels and fans.  For example, the NFL pre-season begins in August, the season in September, the play-offs in January, the Super Bowl completes the NFL season in Feburary, then build-up to the draft in April (which for fans of bad teams, like myself, can be the most exciting time of the year), various OTAs and trainings camps from May to August and then it all starts over again.  Football (both college and professional) is, in my opinion, the only sport in the world where the off-season is just as interesting to follow as the season (probably due to the importance of each game during the season and post season; every game counts). Wink

Dear Coptic Orthodox Boy,

Although I may be a female that does not mean I am an idiot.

Believe it or not, I do watch SportsCenter. I do watch football. My sister and I can give you the hand signal and the penalty yardage for just about every penalty there is.

Just because Daddy had two daughters doesn't mean he raised two dummies.

You assume that I do not follow football. You are wrong. Very wrong as a matter of fact.

My father was very diligent in raising my sister and I in two sacred Sunday traditions: going to the Orthodox Church to worship the Lord our God and watching the game afterwards.

This still does not explain to me how football is a lifestyle.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #988 on: January 09, 2010, 01:30:03 AM »

HandmaidenofGod

Although it is true that the football season is only a few months each season, nevertheless football is probably the single sport in America which is covered year round by sports channels and fans.  For example, the NFL pre-season begins in August, the season in September, the play-offs in January, the Super Bowl completes the NFL season in Feburary, then build-up to the draft in April (which for fans of bad teams, like myself, can be the most exciting time of the year), various OTAs and trainings camps from May to August and then it all starts over again.  Football (both college and professional) is, in my opinion, the only sport in the world where the off-season is just as interesting to follow as the season (probably due to the importance of each game during the season and post season; every game counts). Wink

Dear Coptic Orthodox Boy,

Although I may be a female that does not mean I am an idiot.

Believe it or not, I do watch SportsCenter. I do watch football. My sister and I can give you the hand signal and the penalty yardage for just about every penalty there is.

Just because Daddy had two daughters doesn't mean he raised two dummies.

You assume that I do not follow football. You are wrong. Very wrong as a matter of fact.

My father was very diligent in raising my sister and I in two sacred Sunday traditions: going to the Orthodox Church to worship the Lord our God and watching the game afterwards.

This still does not explain to me how football is a lifestyle.

Handmaiden:

Like many things, sports can become a form of idolatry. I perhaps love my Crimson Tide too much. I have gotten better over the years, but I still allow BAMA's success or failure to effect my emotions way too deeply. I think many if not most SEC fans experience the same thing.

But I'll try to explain what I meant when I said that football is a "way of life" for Alabama fans. The great history and tradition of BAMA football is built on certain values that transcend the playing field, such as:

Faith
Family
Discipline
Work ethic
Teamwork
Community
Integrity
Passion
Perseverance
Class
Respect

These values have been corporately embraced by the people of Alabama for decades (and by the South in general). The legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant built his football programs on the basic values that he learned as a dirt poor southern boy from Morrow Bottom, Arkansas. His teams played with the same grit and determination that poor people in Alabama had to rely on in their day to day lives in order to survive. So, Alabama football represents certain principles and ethics that are inherently ingrained in their culture. To use an Orthodox metaphor, BAMA football is an "icon" of cultural values that Alabamians have held dear for decades and decades. So when a coach like Nick Saban comes in and leads us to the pinnacle of succes by establishing his football program on these same blue collar values, then we feel in a sense that our "way of life" (i.e. our cultural values) is validated. And you have to realize that Alabama has been ridiculed and mocked by the media elite for as long as I can remember. So, to win the National Championship in this modern era is proof that hard work, good values, and strong tradition always formulate a recipe for success. Wink

Oh well, sorry for the tangent there. Like I said, I probably love Alabama football too much. Embarrassed

Selam
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:31:50 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #989 on: January 09, 2010, 09:21:27 AM »

HandmaidenofGod and everyone else

Listen, for some reason people think I am attacking them in this thread (you and Gebre).  If I place a winking smily face within my post, I am being playful.  I knew you were a Jets fan for a number of months now, and I have two sisters who know more about the NFL than myself (which makes it strange that they cheer for those Bears) so I know women can be informed about football just as much as men.
I'm not a pretencious jerk trying to make anyone feel stupid. 
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: