OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:20:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 389646 times) Average Rating: 5
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #855 on: December 12, 2009, 11:47:43 PM »

Two running backs stood at the top of Heisman voting.

I'm waiting for that Defensive player to win and not those flashy cornerback types like Charles Woodson (although he has lasted 12 seasons in the NFL).   Cheesy
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #856 on: December 13, 2009, 12:07:54 AM »

Whodathunkit? Huh  The Pittsburgh Steelers knocked out of playoff contention by the lowly Browns.  WOW! Roll Eyes
Brady Quinn gains more confidence by the week in hoping that Randy Lerner drafts someone else other than Tebow or McCoy.   Smiley

I'm not that surprised.  There's some obscure stat like "Browns have never lost to the Steelers when the game-time temp has been below x."  Until you've played in a venue like ours (like Buffalo & Green Bay), winds blowing off the lake, brutal cold, etc. - you'll never get used to it.

Plus, Pit had to beat us 12 times in a row to get to +5 in the all-time series; their dominance of late is unusual and certainly will be short-lived.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #857 on: December 16, 2009, 08:09:34 PM »

Steelers' Clark says media, fans overlook hard work

Oy. Yuns guys won the frickin super bowl last year, and are not even going to make the playoffs this year. How did you think people were going to react? The Steelers have the 3rd most wins in the 2000's (behind the Patriots and Colts), not to mention 2 Super Bowls. We expect you to win regular season games. We expect you to make the playoffs. And we expect you to at least put yourselves in position to get to the super bowl.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:11:56 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #858 on: December 17, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Start_Anew_With_Allen__A_Link_to_Team_s_Past_94679.jsp

Skins signed a GM!  Hopefully things will progress in a positive direction.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #859 on: December 17, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Start_Anew_With_Allen__A_Link_to_Team_s_Past_94679.jsp

Skins signed a GM!  Hopefully things will progress in a positive direction.

Snyder had to see the writing on the wall when the Skins fell 3 points short against NO in OT.  Add possibly Mike Shanahan (Jon Gruden is not Washington type of person) and Napoleon's modern day successor can go back to purchasing radio stations and amusement parks.   Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #860 on: December 20, 2009, 08:51:58 PM »

I admit it. I never thought the Steelers were gonna win that game.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #861 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:18 PM »

I have Steelers as slight favorite over the Ravens next Sunday.

Ravens outscore two pathetic NFC North teams 79-10.  Jay Culter is worse in Chicago than he ever was in Denver.

Cleveland looks very good as they build momentum for 2010.  Josh Cribbs setting NFL Records and throw a RB with near 300 yd running game in the mix.  Mike Holmgren will like what he sees (which could explain why Browns have done well not for Mangini, who can go back to being a Pop Warner ball boy for all I care, but for their future boss).
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #862 on: December 20, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »

The Ain'ts have returned!  Now only the Colts remain to challenge the legacy of Griese, Csonka, Morris, and the No-Name Defense.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #863 on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:35 AM »

The Ain'ts have returned!  Now only the Colts remain to challenge the legacy of Griese, Csonka, Morris, and the No-Name Defense.

San Diego has knocked the Colts out of the playoffs the last 2 years.  West Coast teams love to play in domed stadiums.

Meanwhile, Dome teams, who can't establish the run, continue to self-destruct (e.g. Vikings).
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #864 on: December 21, 2009, 12:45:01 AM »

The Ain'ts have returned!  Now only the Colts remain to challenge the legacy of Griese, Csonka, Morris, and the No-Name Defense.

San Diego has knocked the Colts out of the playoffs the last 2 years.  West Coast teams love to play in domed stadiums.

Meanwhile, Dome teams, who can't establish the run, continue to self-destruct (e.g. Vikings).
What does playing in a dome have to do with efforts to establish the run? Huh  (Like Adrian Peterson isn't a good running back?)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:45:36 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #865 on: December 21, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »

The Ain'ts have returned!  Now only the Colts remain to challenge the legacy of Griese, Csonka, Morris, and the No-Name Defense.

San Diego has knocked the Colts out of the playoffs the last 2 years.  West Coast teams love to play in domed stadiums.

What does playing in a dome have to do with efforts to establish the run? Huh  (Like Adrian Peterson isn't a good running back?)

Game time temperature.  37 degrees in Charlotte.  Not much warmer in Arizona 2 weeks ago when the Cardinals stopped Peterson to 19 yards.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #866 on: December 21, 2009, 03:39:35 AM »

Gotta love that NFL. I mean, I never watch the stuff; but Saturday I was all prepared to actually watch the Saints v Cowboys game from start to finish, only to realize at 7:30 pm that it wasn't even televised on standard cable. Wow. I guess that brilliant move was designed to compel me to go out and purchase the NFL network. Uhh... I don't think I'll be doing that. Pro sports, what a joke. Roll Eyes But y'all go ahead and enjoy it if that's your thing.

Selam 

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #867 on: December 21, 2009, 04:27:05 AM »

Game time temperature.  37 degrees in Charlotte.  Not much warmer in Arizona 2 weeks ago when the Cardinals stopped Peterson to 19 yards.
Not enough of a body of evidence to prove that dome teams can't establish the run in cold air.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #868 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »

Gotta love that NFL. I mean, I never watch the stuff; but Saturday I was all prepared to actually watch the Saints v Cowboys game from start to finish, only to realize at 7:30 pm that it wasn't even televised on standard cable. Wow. I guess that brilliant move was designed to compel me to go out and purchase the NFL network. Uhh... I don't think I'll be doing that. Pro sports, what a joke. Roll Eyes But y'all go ahead and enjoy it if that's your thing.

Selam  

So what is your suggestion? No games on NFL network? Don't put games on NFL network if Gebre is really looking forward to it? Only put crappy games on NFL network, that way no one with basic/normal cable will be let down?

EDIT--and btw, there are certain college games which aren't available on normal cable either, you need one of the more expensive packages/deals to see them. College sports, what a joke  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:33:17 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #869 on: December 21, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »

So what is your suggestion? No games on NFL network? Don't put games on NFL network if Gebre is really looking forward to it? Only put crappy games on NFL network, that way no one with basic/normal cable will be let down?

Maybe not over-pricing NFL network, so more cable providers would include it in a more "basic" programming package.

EDIT--and btw, there are certain college games which aren't available on normal cable either, you need one of the more expensive packages/deals to see them. College sports, what a joke  Tongue

College athletics hasn't been "amateur" for 20+ years.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #870 on: December 21, 2009, 11:14:44 AM »

Not enough of a body of evidence to prove that dome teams can't establish the run in cold air.

Maybe people have just figured out the Vikings blocking schemes.  After AP's season last year, I'm sure everyone playing them took some extra time to focus on stopping the NFL's best rusher.  Sometimes dome teams have an awful time in the outside (late 90's/early 00's Rams come to mind), but sometimes the stereotype doesn't apply (Colts, anyone?).

Fixed quote tags...  - PtA
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:20:37 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #871 on: December 21, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »

College football has definitely become a big business of sorts. But at least college players typically give 100% rahter than just playing hard when they feel like it. The pro athletes love to play hard when they're on Monday Night Football. Guys like Favre and Manning are exceptions to the rule, not the norm. IMHO.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #872 on: December 21, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »

College football has definitely become a big business of sorts. But at least college players typically give 100% rahter than just playing hard when they feel like it.
And I'm calling this an unproven stereotype. Wink
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #873 on: December 21, 2009, 06:22:11 PM »

What does playing in a dome have to do with efforts to establish the run? Huh  (Like Adrian Peterson isn't a good running back?)

Game time temperature.  37 degrees in Charlotte.  Not much warmer in Arizona 2 weeks ago when the Cardinals stopped Peterson to 19 yards.

Maybe people have just figured out the Vikings blocking schemes.  After AP's season last year, I'm sure everyone playing them took some extra time to focus on stopping the NFL's best rusher.  Sometimes dome teams have an awful time in the outside (late 90's/early 00's Rams come to mind), but sometimes the stereotype doesn't apply (Colts, anyone?).

Never Mind....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 06:53:09 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #874 on: December 21, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »

College football has definitely become a big business of sorts. But at least college players typically give 100% rahter than just playing hard when they feel like it. The pro athletes love to play hard when they're on Monday Night Football. Guys like Favre and Manning are exceptions to the rule, not the norm. IMHO.

I would not agree about college football players - I've definitely seen top-flight college guys take many plays/games off.  Especially when they're in the cupcake portions of their schedule.

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #875 on: December 21, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »

I would not agree about college football players - I've definitely seen top-flight college guys take many plays/games off.  Especially when they're in the cupcake portions of their schedule.

Sure. It happens. But not as frequently as in the NFL. And top college teams with top college coaches usually don't allow players to get away with it. But NFL coaches have their hands tied by the owners. A guy like T.O. or Randy Moss that loafs is immune to discipline by the coach. If the coach wants to bench him, the owner steps in and tells him he has to let him play.

I mean, a lot of people don't mind that kind of foolishness. But I can't stand it, and I won't waste my time getting emotionally invested in a professional sports league that operates on such an unprincipled system. But hey, that's just me. Obviously I'm in the minority. But then again, I'm a BAMA fan, so my standards are higher than most people's. Wink

Selam
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:31:38 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #876 on: December 21, 2009, 08:34:15 PM »

I mean, a lot of people don't mind that kind of foolishness. But I can't stand it, and I won't waste my time getting emotionally invested in a professional sports league that operates on such an unprincipled system. But hey, that's just me. Obviously I'm in the minority. But then again, I'm a BAMA fan, so my standards are higher than most people's. Wink 

I think that the players who give less than 100% are in the minority in both amateur and professional sport; for the former, the glory of victory is their only reward (supposedly, at least); but for the latter, they are fulfilling childhood dreams and aspirations, competing to be the top of their sport, challenging themselves for improvement, etc. - and I think it is an unproven and quite frankly incorrect assertion to say that most, many, or even more than a few players play at a level less than what they are capable of.

Oh, and cut the Bama higher standards act - no one here is buying that sort of bovine manure.

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #877 on: December 21, 2009, 08:39:33 PM »

I think that the players who give less than 100% are in the minority in both amateur and professional sport; for the former, the glory of victory is their only reward (supposedly, at least); but for the latter, they are fulfilling childhood dreams and aspirations, competing to be the top of their sport, challenging themselves for improvement, etc. - and I think it is an unproven and quite frankly incorrect assertion to say that most, many, or even more than a few players play at a level less than what they are capable of.

Oh, and cut the Bama higher standards act - no one here is buying that sort of bovine manure.

Ahh.. the hatred for tradition and class comes out. No wonder you like the NFL. Hate on BAMA all you want, but it won't negate the reality of our winning tradition. And you Father, of all people, should certainly respect Tradition! Wink

Selam
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:40:43 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #878 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:19 PM »

Ahh.. the hatred for tradition and class comes out. No wonder you like the NFL. Hate on BAMA all you want, but it won't negate the reality of our winning tradition. And you Father, of all people, should certainly respect Tradition! 

I do indeed respect tradition - professional tradition in Brown and Orange.  I just like my College tradition in Scarlet and Gray, rather than your Southern tea varieties. Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:44:34 PM by Fr. George » Logged

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #879 on: December 21, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »

Ahh.. the hatred for tradition and class comes out. No wonder you like the NFL. Hate on BAMA all you want, but it won't negate the reality of our winning tradition. And you Father, of all people, should certainly respect Tradition! 

I do indeed respect tradition - professional tradition in Brown and Orange.  I just like my College tradition in Scarlet and Gray, rather than your Southern tea varieties. Cheesy Grin

Is that the Cleveland Browns and Ohio State?

Selam

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #880 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »

Indeed, good sir.

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #881 on: December 21, 2009, 08:57:51 PM »

Indeed, good sir.

I always thought Cleveland's stadium was vintage. I enjoyed watching them play in the snow. The Browns seemed like a blue collar team that embodied the spirit of the city. Do they still play in that same stadium? I haven't kept up with the NFL in ages.

As for Ohio State... Woody Hayes was my kind of guy, old school. I also think Jim Tressel is a classy guy. You guys have a pretty good tradition, but us SEC "tea varieties" seem to dominate y'all in National Championship games.

Selam

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #882 on: December 21, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »

I always thought Cleveland's stadium was vintage. I enjoyed watching them play in the snow. The Browns seemed like a blue collar team that embodied the spirit of the city. Do they still play in that same stadium? I haven't kept up with the NFL in ages.

No.  New stadium, but same site as the old one.

As for Ohio State... Woody Hayes was my kind of guy, old school. I also think Jim Tressel is a classy guy. You guys have a pretty good tradition, but us SEC "tea varieties" seem to dominate y'all in National Championship games.

We'll see what happens in the future.  My only problem with Tressel is the non-existent offensive game-plan.  Give him a competent risk-taker as an offensive play-caller, and each of the two championship losses would have ended differently (either different W-L result, or vastly different score).

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #883 on: December 21, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

Mike Holmgren is coming to Cleveland.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #884 on: December 21, 2009, 09:50:50 PM »

Yes, indeed.  And I'm very excited.  The first truly experienced, credible, and successful football executive in Cleveland since the team's return.

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #885 on: December 21, 2009, 09:54:56 PM »

Yes, indeed.  And I'm very excited.  The first truly experienced, credible, and successful football executive in Cleveland since the team's return.

He seems like a good fit. Just has that midwest, cold weather vibe to him that never seemed right in Seattle.

Selam

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #886 on: December 21, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »

So am I.   Grin

I was trying to set the post to "Santa Claus is coming to town" except that I've picked on Mangini enough in this thread.   angel
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #887 on: December 21, 2009, 09:59:35 PM »

It's ok if you do pick on him some more; although I don't usually judge a coach (any coach) by their first season, unless it's utterly disastrous to the tune of 0 or 1 win(s).

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #888 on: December 21, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »

He seems like a good fit. Just has that midwest, cold weather vibe to him that never seemed right in Seattle.

Holmgren is all upside, not one downside to think of.  If he wants to coach, Cleveland is perfect place.

I'm also looking forward to Mike Shanahan coaching the Redskins - Time for DC to come out of its slump in the NFC East.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #889 on: December 21, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »

It's ok if you do pick on him some more; although I don't usually judge a coach (any coach) by their first season, unless it's utterly disastrous to the tune of 0 or 1 win(s).

Mangini has had a season under his belt with the "law of diminishing returns" Brett Favre.  Let's see: 8-8 with Jets and 3-11 with Browns = 11-19 lifetime record, not going to last long in NFL....
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #890 on: December 21, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »

Selam

Well he certainly liked Seattle, but I think he'll do great working with our team.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #891 on: December 21, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »

Mangini has had a season under his belt with the "law of diminishing returns" Brett Favre.  Let's see: 8-8 with Jets and 3-11 with Browns = 11-19 lifetime record, not going to last long in NFL....

At least not as a head coach.  But he was a good defensive coordinator, especially when his head coach was feeding him video assistance Wink

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #892 on: December 21, 2009, 10:34:26 PM »

At least not as a head coach.  But he was a good defensive coordinator, especially when his head coach was feeding him video assistance Wink

So my Pop Warner analogy wasn't that far off; I forgot Mangini's role in Videogate.   Undecided
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #893 on: December 21, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »

I just saw this! Here is a perfect example of a mentality and spirit that you will find only in college athletics. And it comes from my wonderful Crimson Tide.  Smiley

Selam
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Saturday Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 pm EST

Tide players pass on travel cash in the name of solidarity
By Matt Hinton

For the sake of maintaining their pure competitive spirits, NCAA athletes who help generate tens of millions of dollars for their schools have almost no sanctioned opportunities to come under the corrupting influence of money themselves. One of the rare exceptions is bowl travel stipends: Most teams headed to a postseason game break for a few days, then reconvene at the bowl site for final practices and pre-game festivities. Subsequently, the NCAA offers a set dollar amount for players who travel individually, and they're allowed to pocket the difference between that number and the actual cost of the trip. This is standard procedure everywhere, including Alabama during the Tide's short trips to Louisiana for the Independence and Sugar bowls the last two seasons.

This time around, though, 'Bama captains weighed the break and the cash against the cost of splitting up the team and burdening players with the logistics of connecting flights, delays and other holiday travel hang-ups in the middle of preparations for the BCS Championship game on Jan. 7, and decided they'd rather stick together than get paid:

Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban left the decision on travel this time to his captains -- linebacker Rolando McClain, left guard Mike Johnson and cornerback Javier Arenas -- and the entire team. Encouraged by those captains, a UA official said, the Crimson Tide unanimously voted to forego the stipend and travel as a team Jan. 1 to the Los Angeles area.

The decision made things easier on the team in many ways, since practices can continue in Tuscaloosa after Christmas break and the Crimson Tide can also avoid the type of delays that can come with traveling individually across the country.

Naturally, Alabama partisans are proudly applauding their boys' selflessness, leadership and sacrifice for the greater good of the Tide cause -- in contrast to the heathen 'Horns from Texas, who will break, accept the stipend and come together again in California as usual, the callous individualists. And if the NCAA accepts 'Bama's appeal to restore the travel money, anyway, it's a smashing victory for team unity all the way around. (Even if it probably amounts to zip on the field.)

- - -
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:46:16 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #894 on: December 21, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »

At least not as a head coach.  But he was a good defensive coordinator, especially when his head coach was feeding him video assistance Wink

So my Pop Warner analogy wasn't that far off; I forgot Mangini's role in Videogate.   Undecided

At the rate that he wins games, he may be applying to "Videogate" for work soon.

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #895 on: December 21, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »

Regardless of what sports you like or which teams you follow, this video is worth watching for the philosophy and principles that transcend sports and apply to success in life. If you take the time to watch all 27 minutes of it, you will learn a lot.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/various-productions-football/Alabama/MONDAY-Nick-Saban-58637

Selam
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:00:13 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #896 on: December 22, 2009, 12:47:08 AM »

At least not as a head coach.  But he was a good defensive coordinator, especially when his head coach was feeding him video assistance Wink

So my Pop Warner analogy wasn't that far off; I forgot Mangini's role in Videogate.   Undecided

At the rate that he wins games, he may be applying to "Videogate" for work soon.

Fox could hire Mangini as an analyst where he can follow in the footsteps of broadcasting legend Brian Billick.   Roll Eyes
The man (Billick) is good with the English language; as a commentator, barely tolerable.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #897 on: December 22, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »

Gebre

So all these college atheletes who "play the game for honor and love of the game" all of a sudden become lover's of money and total scum bags only after reaching the pros?  Haha, wow I really wonder what your opinion of Ingram will be after he is drafted into the NFL in a season or two (from Heisman hero to money loving scum bag I suppose).  Guess all honor is left at the door once one crosses over into a professional league.
As far as I'm concerned, especially with college football, the only players who play for "honor and love of the game" are those who attend the service academies.  They know that after the last game of their senior season they will be serving in the military for at least 6 years with no real hope of making it to the NFL after the completion of their service.  Now, when Ingram is drafted and reaches a deal where he makes, ohh I don't know 45,000 a year in the NFL, you can tell me how much he plays for love of the game and honor.  Reality is, Ingram (as well as most college football players) is hoping to make big bucks in the NFL and that is why he plays college ball.
Also, everyone understands you hate the NFL; you don't have to state it in every post. Wink

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #898 on: December 23, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »

Gebre

So all these college atheletes who "play the game for honor and love of the game" all of a sudden become lover's of money and total scum bags only after reaching the pros?  Haha, wow I really wonder what your opinion of Ingram will be after he is drafted into the NFL in a season or two (from Heisman hero to money loving scum bag I suppose).  Guess all honor is left at the door once one crosses over into a professional league.
As far as I'm concerned, especially with college football, the only players who play for "honor and love of the game" are those who attend the service academies.  They know that after the last game of their senior season they will be serving in the military for at least 6 years with no real hope of making it to the NFL after the completion of their service.  Now, when Ingram is drafted and reaches a deal where he makes, ohh I don't know 45,000 a year in the NFL, you can tell me how much he plays for love of the game and honor.  Reality is, Ingram (as well as most college football players) is hoping to make big bucks in the NFL and that is why he plays college ball.
Also, everyone understands you hate the NFL; you don't have to state it in every post. Wink

Please see post 893 and 895.

And please don't put such ugly words in my mouth such as "money loving scum bags." I have never said any such thing about any professional athlete. As with most things, I fault the system more than the individuals who are corrupted by the system. But there are definitely a few pro athletes who still play for "the love of the game;" and judging from the character Mark Ingram has exhibited thus far, I think he will be one of those few.

Selam

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #899 on: December 23, 2009, 08:58:58 AM »

I just saw this! Here is a perfect example of a mentality and spirit that you will find only in college athletics. And it comes from my wonderful Crimson Tide.  Smiley

Selam
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Saturday Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 pm EST

Tide players pass on travel cash in the name of solidarity
By Matt Hinton

For the sake of maintaining their pure competitive spirits, NCAA athletes who help generate tens of millions of dollars for their schools have almost no sanctioned opportunities to come under the corrupting influence of money themselves. One of the rare exceptions is bowl travel stipends: Most teams headed to a postseason game break for a few days, then reconvene at the bowl site for final practices and pre-game festivities. Subsequently, the NCAA offers a set dollar amount for players who travel individually, and they're allowed to pocket the difference between that number and the actual cost of the trip. This is standard procedure everywhere, including Alabama during the Tide's short trips to Louisiana for the Independence and Sugar bowls the last two seasons.

This time around, though, 'Bama captains weighed the break and the cash against the cost of splitting up the team and burdening players with the logistics of connecting flights, delays and other holiday travel hang-ups in the middle of preparations for the BCS Championship game on Jan. 7, and decided they'd rather stick together than get paid:

Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban left the decision on travel this time to his captains -- linebacker Rolando McClain, left guard Mike Johnson and cornerback Javier Arenas -- and the entire team. Encouraged by those captains, a UA official said, the Crimson Tide unanimously voted to forego the stipend and travel as a team Jan. 1 to the Los Angeles area.

The decision made things easier on the team in many ways, since practices can continue in Tuscaloosa after Christmas break and the Crimson Tide can also avoid the type of delays that can come with traveling individually across the country.

Naturally, Alabama partisans are proudly applauding their boys' selflessness, leadership and sacrifice for the greater good of the Tide cause -- in contrast to the heathen 'Horns from Texas, who will break, accept the stipend and come together again in California as usual, the callous individualists. And if the NCAA accepts 'Bama's appeal to restore the travel money, anyway, it's a smashing victory for team unity all the way around. (Even if it probably amounts to zip on the field.)
That last paragraph seems out of place. Isn't it possible to tell a story of solidarity without attacking another school? Both Alabama and Texas are fine schools, whose students are getting a very good education and whose professors are doing fine research. It's too bad the author couldn't put aside his partisanship when he wrote this article; the piece would have been much better without that last paragraph.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: