Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1882972 times)

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7605 on: January 08, 2019, 02:56:29 AM »
Tua is looking human tonight: 2 picks including a pick 6.  Still a close game.

Rough night. Congrats to CLEMSON . They flat out whipped us tonight. Dabo Swinney has won two out of three National Championships against the greatest coach in the history of college football. That is mighty impressive.

I will post more thoughts later on.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

• Merarches
« Reply #7606 on: January 08, 2019, 07:51:29 AM »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7607 on: January 10, 2019, 06:16:49 PM »
NASA's budget is less than one half of one percent of the federal budget...

This is a silly argument. Even with this being true, if the money spent on NASA were shifted it would house, feed, clothe, and provide transport for every homeless person in the United States, with billions left over.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #7608 on: January 10, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »
^

What does that have to do with sports?   ???

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7609 on: January 10, 2019, 07:05:28 PM »
^

I'm not sure but this is just the thread it was in? ???

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7610 on: January 10, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
^

Maybe you meant to post in Random Postings unless you posted the original post in 2012 in this thread.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7611 on: January 10, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »
^

Maybe you meant to post in Random Postings unless you posted the original post in 2012 in this thread.

The original posts were definitely in this thread. It was somewhat related to sports at first, kinda sorta ???

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7612 on: January 11, 2019, 01:32:42 AM »
movie
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7613 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »
Maori Davenport needed an injunction to overcome her suspension.

TROY, ALABAMA -- After weeks of speculation and scrutiny, embattled high school basketball star Maori Davenport made her eagerly anticipated return to the court on Friday night in Charles Henderson High's 72-17 win over Carroll High (Ozark, Alabama).

It was her first game in 43 days, but the senior needed just 19 seconds to get on the board. She finished with 25 points and -- per the scorer's table -- had too many rebounds and assists to keep track of. The game will be reviewed via video for official statistics.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/25738719/maori-davenport-scores-25-points-charles-henderson-triumphant-return-court

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #7614 on: January 21, 2019, 02:57:43 AM »
Has there ever been a year before this when the NFC and AFC championships both went into overtime?

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
    • Pustozersk
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #7615 on: January 21, 2019, 08:57:15 AM »
Has there ever been a year before this when the NFC and AFC championships both went into overtime?

Never.
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Online WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Universal Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #7616 on: January 21, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
Looks like it's the New England Patriots w/ Tom Brady as quarterback.

• Merarches
« Reply #7617 on: January 22, 2019, 10:25:41 AM »
Let's fight 14 rounds to a complete draw and then decide the entire match by whoever lands the first punch in round 15. Because, yeah, that makes sense. The NFL's overtime rules are ridiculous. The entire NFL is ridiculous. For the first time all year I actually watched two complete NFL games back to back. And they were both incredible games. And I really didn't care who won. But both games were ruined by horrible officiating and idiotic overtime rules. Not to mention the constant commercial interruptions. And you wonder why I can’t take professional football seriously. What a waste of my time. But congrats to the Patriots for calling heads.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #7618 on: January 22, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
Let's fight 14 rounds to a complete draw and then decide the entire match by whoever lands the first punch in round 15. Because, yeah, that makes sense. The NFL's overtime rules are ridiculous. The entire NFL is ridiculous. For the first time all year I actually watched two complete NFL games back to back. And they were both incredible games. And I really didn't care who won. But both games were ruined by horrible officiating and idiotic overtime rules. Not to mention the constant commercial interruptions. And you wonder why I can’t take professional football seriously. What a waste of my time. But congrats to the Patriots for calling heads.

Selam

I like sudden death if field goals are taken out of the equation. It's so anticlimactic given an NFL kicker's range.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
    • Pustozersk
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #7619 on: January 22, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »

Selam

Agreed. If Mahomes had the ball, Chiefs win. Amazing game ending ruined by NFL overtime.
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #7620 on: January 22, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
There's only one feasible solution to this problem: abolish football.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
« Reply #7621 on: January 22, 2019, 11:45:57 AM »
One of the announcers quietly mentioned, "Overtime rules," but he did not say what he would do about it.  I agree with him but do not know what would make a better overtime.  Less commercials definitely. :)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7622 on: January 25, 2019, 11:52:57 PM »
Since the media loves Boston vs. Los Angeles match ups, will we see Bruins vs. Kings (NHL) and/or another iteration of Lakers vs. Celtics (NBA)?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7623 on: March 19, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
Future or potential Hall of Fame caliber players the Steelers have burnt bridges with over the last four or five years:

Troy Polamalu
James Harrison
Antonio Brown
Le'Veon Bell

Who's next?

• Merarches
« Reply #7624 on: May 28, 2019, 03:58:13 AM »

BRYAN BARTLETT STARR (January 9, 1934 – May 26, 2019)

When I played QB in high school I wore #15 in honor of Bart Starr. Along with Roger Staubach, he remains my favorite professional quarterback of all time.

Bart Starr was hardly the greatest athlete to play the position. In fact, he was only drafted in the 17th round, the 200th player selected overall. But what he lacked in talent he made up for in intelligence, toughness, leadership, and heart.

Bart Starr was born in Montgomery, Alabama and played college football at the University of Alabama where he started at QB, safety, and punter. But his college career was beset with a serious off the field injury that crippled his playing days at The Capstone.

Bart Starr endured many hardships in his life. His endurance on and off the playing field was a testimony to his iron character and the fortitude of his faith. He proved that anyone with a strong work ethic, a will to succeed, and an ability to persevere through adversity can accomplish great things in life.

Starr is the only QB to have led his team to three consecutive NFL Championships, including Super Bowls 1 and 2 for which he won back to back MVP’s. He also has the highest QB passer rating of any quarterback in NFL history.

BART STARR: ROLL TIDE and REST  IN PEACE +++

Selam
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:01:55 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
« Reply #7625 on: May 28, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
Thanks Gebre.  He was quite a player and role model.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7626 on: May 28, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »

Selam

Out of curiosity, is the CFL, which has slightly different rules and plays on a field 110 yards in length, experiencing these problems?  They did once try to establish themselves “south of the border” with only slightly more success than the laughable XFL of 2000ish. 

I have an intellectual curiosity in gridiron games like football and I find some of the historic figures who played in that game in prior decades, like your Quarterback Starr, admirable, although I can’t sit through a football game or any spectator sport (indeed, the only sport I ever enjoyed in my youth was basketball, because of the thrill of visualizing the trajectory of the ball in my head, and I was actually rather good at it, but now in my senescence it just makes me dizzy).