Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1465417 times)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7470 on: August 19, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
We need more fair weather baseball fans. It's the diehard no-matter-what fans who enable the owners like the one in Pittsburgh. He's trying to turn a profit, I get it. But when fans say "your product is mediocre, you need to spend money to improve it," and his response is a tacit "lulz, why should I? You'll buy whatever slop I serve" then it's time to respond in a way that'll force him to listen.
To be a Pirates fan is to know losing intimately. Why threaten their identity? I've never seen a sports franchise with such fan loyalty like the Pirates.

The Bucs are only 5 games out of first and have been doing good for the past few years.  I do fear their recent return to relevancy may be behind them though.  I'm not particularly happy with some of those trades. Try having your AL team be Cleveland and your NL team being Pittsburgh while living in Chicago thses past few years....that's a painful experience, especially since Cubs fans are only beaten by obnoxiousness by Redsox and Yankee fans in baseball.  They were obnoxious when they sucked, they are even worse now...may they go on another 100 year slump.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:42:01 PM by William T »

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7471 on: August 26, 2017, 07:51:52 PM »
Anyone on here actually going to legally watch the McGregor/Mayweather fight tonight?
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7472 on: August 26, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
Anyone on here actually going to legally watch the McGregor/Mayweather fight tonight?
Nope.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #7473 on: August 27, 2017, 01:56:17 AM »

I did here in Pudong.  Cover charge was 160 RMB (about 23 USD) and got to watch the fight, enjoy all you can eat buffet and a free drink.  Shanghai is great, love this city.

As to my thoughts on the fight, I think McGregor did better than I thought he would.  I felt the first 3 rounds would go to McGregor as Mayweather figured out his game (boxing stance and timing is different than a traditional boxer).  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if McGregor hadn't gassed by the 6th round.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:01:28 AM by coptic orthodox boy »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7474 on: August 27, 2017, 01:01:57 PM »
I wanted McGregor to win because I'm a racist.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #7475 on: August 27, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
I wanted McGregor to win because I'm a racist.

I assume the same logic applies when blacks cheer on a black fighter or Mexicans cheer on a Mexican fighter or when Filipinos cheer on Pacquiao?

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #7476 on: August 27, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »
What a great fight! Both guys have my respect. Far from what was expected, McGregor didn't look out of his element at all. And props to Mayweather for ending his career by fighting an aggressive fight. The obvious difference was the contrast in conditioning. Mayweather, the master strategist, let McGregor wear himself out and then it was all she wrote. Loved the respect they both showed each other afterwards. Great stuff. Thankful I got to see it (a friend invited me to watch it at his house for free.)

Selam
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:50:18 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7477 on: August 27, 2017, 11:41:55 PM »
What a great fight! Both guys have my respect. Far from what was expected, McGregor didn't look out of his element at all. And props to Mayweather for ending his career by fighting an aggressive fight. The obvious difference was the contrast in conditioning. Mayweather, the master strategist, let McGregor wear himself out and then it was all she wrote. Loved the respect they both showed each other afterwards. Great stuff. Thankful I got to see it (a friend invited me to watch it at his house for free.)

Selam

Really?  I never got why people cared about this match, it's essentially just an exhibition and it played out almost exactly as you would expect.  I refused to pay for this, and only watched a replay today.  I guess the best thing is Mayweather goes 50-0, but that 50th victory is against a non boxer.  The next best thing you could say is that McGregor had spirit for signing up for something like this....but he got paid over 100 million, that's not gutsy, that's just good sense. 

McGregor did a little better than expected, but it was still lopsided.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7478 on: August 30, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »
- Pirates use "flexibility" and "savings" from moves in 2015/2016 to... add no talent whatsoever in 2017
- Pirates cut 2nd best reliever to save a few hundred thousand dollars
- Cubs 17 / Pirates 3... swept by Cubs

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:59:22 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7479 on: September 02, 2017, 11:13:40 PM »
All I'm saying is that it just seems so unsportsmanlike for Alabama to have a QB playing on both teams tonight.

• Merarches
« Reply #7480 on: September 03, 2017, 05:18:24 AM »
Great way to open the season! I expected it to be closer than it was. I had anticipated our offense being better than it looked, and I didn't think our defense would be as good as we looked. I was wrong on both counts. Our defense looked great and our offense has a lot of work to do. But I think FSU is a legitimate top 5 team, and so I was very pleased to get this win. Special teams play really made the difference (although God help us if we need to rely on our kicker to win games for us.) I hated to see Deondre Francois go down. Hoping and praying that his injury isn't serious. "Lord have mercy."

ROLL TIDE!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7481 on: September 03, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »
Great way to open the season! I expected it to be closer than it was. I had anticipated our offense being better than it looked, and I didn't think our defense would be as good as we looked. I was wrong on both counts. Our defense looked great and our offense has a lot of work to do. But I think FSU is a legitimate top 5 team, and so I was very pleased to get this win. Special teams play really made the difference (although God help us if we need to rely on our kicker to win games for us.) I hated to see Deondre Francois go down. Hoping and praying that his injury isn't serious. "Lord have mercy."

ROLL TIDE!

Without Lane Kiffin, Alabama's offense is going to be anemic.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

• Merarches
« Reply #7482 on: September 03, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »

ROLL TIDE!

Without Lane Kiffin, Alabama's offense is going to be anemic.

It was pretty anemic with Lane Kiffin. I honestly think Jim Mcelwain was our best OC during Saban's tenure.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7483 on: September 04, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »
When I saw UCLA's Josh Rosen as a frosh, I thought he had the potential to be the best quarterback in college in a year or two.  His last game against the Aggies affirmed my hunch.  If he goes for the draft early, he may go #1 as a junior.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7484 on: September 09, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/831319

Toledo Rocket Kareem Hunt looked really good playing against the Pats