Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1465004 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7425 on: February 23, 2017, 02:22:31 AM »
ESPN's Maria Taylor reported the fan in question yelled, "Pitino, you suck!"...

"I don't like that. We're North Carolina; we don't have to be like everybody else," [North Carolina coach Roy Williams] said. "You can raise Cain, you can boo, but you don't have to say stuff that we as coaches have to put up with on the road. I hope that never happens again at North Carolina."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18745266/fan-ejected-unc-tar-heels-louisville-cardinals-game-exchange-coach-rick-pitino

lol
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7426 on: February 25, 2017, 11:59:04 PM »
Sum of the goal differentials of the top 5 teams in each NHL division:

Atlantic  +9
Metropolitan  +199
Central  + 68
Pacific  +26
Is it great defense by Metropolitan Division teams, or is it because they score a lot. I'd have to go with the scoring hypothesis.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7427 on: February 26, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »
Sum of the goal differentials of the top 5 teams in each NHL division:

Atlantic  +9
Metropolitan  +199
Central  + 68
Pacific  +26
Is it great defense by Metropolitan Division teams, or is it because they score a lot. I'd have to go with the scoring hypothesis.

It seems to be largely offense: 4 of the 5 top scoring teams in the NHL are from the Metropolitan Division. However, there's also some defense at play as 3 of top 10 defenses (goals allowed) are in that division, and all five teams included in the quoted stats are in the top half of the league.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7428 on: March 02, 2017, 11:25:18 PM »
Jung Ho Kang was found guilty and got an 8 month prison sentence... however, that sentence is suspended for two years, and if he stays out of trouble he won't have to serve any time.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7429 on: March 04, 2017, 01:00:28 AM »
Here's to hoping he won't get into any more trouble :'(/ :laugh:. If he is able to stay out of trouble and play good baseball, he might become great, you know?

Enough corny Harry Potter references, what was he even convicted of?

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7430 on: March 04, 2017, 01:11:23 AM »
It was his 3rd DUI in S. Korea; he didn't hit anyone, but he fled the scene and his friend lied and tried to cover for him by saying he was driving rather than Kang

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #7431 on: March 06, 2017, 12:01:32 AM »
This will shatter every negative stereotype you have about Nick Saban and Alabama football. This is an amazing piece written by an amazing young man. Worth reading, even if you aren't a BAMA fan.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jonathan-allen-goodbye-alabama-football/

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7432 on: March 06, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »
This will shatter every negative stereotype you have about Nick Saban and Alabama football. This is an amazing piece written by an amazing young man. Worth reading, even if you aren't a BAMA fan.

Selam

Yeah, you're not biased or anything.  Perhaps Saban has negative stereotypes because he perpetuates negative stereotypes.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

• Merarches
« Reply #7433 on: March 06, 2017, 02:01:29 AM »

Selam

Yeah, you're not biased or anything.  Perhaps Saban has negative stereotypes because he perpetuates negative stereotypes.

Or maybe you could actually read the article and offer a substantive response to it. But what fun would that be?

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7434 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »

Selam

Or maybe you could actually read the article and offer a substantive response to it. But what fun would that be?

Selam

Do you get paid by Nick Saban to be his apologist or do you just do it for fun?

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7435 on: March 13, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
Ex-Penn State AD pleads guilty in abuse case

Two former Penn State University administrators pleaded guilty Monday to misdemeanor child endangerment for their roles in the Jerry Sandusky child molestation case, more than five years after the scandal engulfed the school and led to coach Joe Paterno's downfall. Ex-Athletic Director Tim Curley and former university Vice President Gary Schultz originally were charged with felonies. The reduced charge is punishable by up to five years in prison. Penn State ex-President Graham Spanier was also charged in the case. He was not in the Harrisburg courtroom Monday morning, though his attorneys were. His prosecution appears to be moving forward, with jury selection scheduled for next week... Penn State's costs related to the Sandusky scandal are approaching a quarter-billion dollars...

• Merarches
« Reply #7436 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
Ex-Penn State AD pleads guilty in abuse case

Two former Penn State University administrators pleaded guilty Monday to misdemeanor child endangerment for their roles in the Jerry Sandusky child molestation case, more than five years after the scandal engulfed the school and led to coach Joe Paterno's downfall. Ex-Athletic Director Tim Curley and former university Vice President Gary Schultz originally were charged with felonies. The reduced charge is punishable by up to five years in prison. Penn State ex-President Graham Spanier was also charged in the case. He was not in the Harrisburg courtroom Monday morning, though his attorneys were. His prosecution appears to be moving forward, with jury selection scheduled for next week... Penn State's costs related to the Sandusky scandal are approaching a quarter-billion dollars...

This documentary was really good. I saw it on Netflix. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Valley_%28film%29

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7437 on: March 19, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »
How are everyone's brackets doing?

Mine are toast.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7438 on: March 19, 2017, 10:45:10 PM »
I'd almost given up hope in Sidney Crosby leading the league in points this year... and then he gets 5 goals in two games to pull into a tie for 1st with McDavid.

Thanks for the recommendation. I started watching this, but am only about 1/3 of the way through so far.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7439 on: March 24, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
There's a report that "Jung Ho Kang has been denied a visa to enter the United States."

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7440 on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »
I bought a radio to listen to MLB games on this year... and apparently it doesn't pick up the station(s) any better than my mp3 player.  :police:  ::)

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7442 on: April 08, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »
I bought a radio to listen to MLB games on this year... and apparently it doesn't pick up the station(s) any better than my mp3 player.  :police: ::)

I am not sure what type of radio you purchased, which band the stations are on, and where you are using it.

Assuming it is the AM band and you do not carry it around with you while listening:

The GE Superadio (model 7-2880) and Superadio II (model 7-2885) were great long distance (DX) reception radios for only $30-$40 retail when new. They now sell for up to $200 on ebay and anything in the $50-$60 range is likely junk, but people have found them on Craigslist and garage sales for around $10. Don't buy the Superadio III (model 7-2887).  These are very large portables and are around 30 years old. As far as new, the C. Crane, CC Radio EP with its internal 7.9” Twin Coil Ferrite rod antenna for $85 is about as good as you can get (including those $200 ebay Superadios) and it makes little sense paying any more than that.

If you need a pocket portable, the Radio Shack  1200586 for $11.89 has the best AM sensitivity.

The other alternative, if your problem is weak signals rather than interference is to buy an AM loop antenna.  I would pick this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-Rotatable-Tuneable-Antenna-Battery/dp/B00BLW627G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491694444&sr=1-1&keywords=tecsun+AN-200

It is the same as the Grundig/Eton/Kaito loop antennas and costs about the same as having it shipped from China ($27 total) and it doesn't have to be plugged in to work. It should convert your mp3 player into a DX radio if you put the radio inside or near the loop.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7443 on: April 10, 2017, 01:05:59 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Opus! I gave it another day to see if it came in better (it was rainy the first few times I tried), but it does look like I'll have to look for one of the ones you mentioned.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7444 on: April 13, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
Ok, can some basketball fan clear something up for me? I follow the sport very casually, like I don't watch any games and read maybe 5-6 articles on the NBA a week. But the question is, how in the world can Westbrook not be the unanimous choice to win the MVP award?

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7445 on: April 18, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
When I read about Starling Marte getting an 80 game suspension for using PEDs, I felt like someone punched me in the gut. :( Which is actually a bit of a strange reaction, since I assume that 80% of pro athletes are using drugs, and you don't have to look like a bodybuilder to be using them... but it was still a kick out of nowhere.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #7446 on: April 18, 2017, 11:59:49 PM »
When I read about Starling Marte getting an 80 game suspension for using PEDs, I felt like someone punched me in the gut. :( Which is actually a bit of a strange reaction, since I assume that 80% of pro athletes are using drugs, and you don't have to look like a bodybuilder to be using them... but it was still a kick out of nowhere.
Sounds like you feel how I felt when I heard the no-pitch intentional walk was in effect  >:(
The only way it could possibly be redeemed is if the manager has to come out of the dugout and wave a white flag in full view of all for it to be recognized.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7447 on: April 21, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »
The no-pitch intentional walk is bizarre, to say the least.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7448 on: April 23, 2017, 06:50:49 PM »
Kenya and Ethiopia swept the field in the London Marathon, grabbing ranks 1-4 in both men and women. It was glorious.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7449 on: April 23, 2017, 08:05:43 PM »
Ok, can some basketball fan clear something up for me? I follow the sport very casually, like I don't watch any games and read maybe 5-6 articles on the NBA a week. But the question is, how in the world can Westbrook not be the unanimous choice to win the MVP award?

I could conceivably repeat the arguments that I heard on the Sirius XM NBA channel, but that wouldn't be me. From my perspective, I never heard of a triple double when I went to Warriors games at the Cow Palace when Rick Berry was playing. I suspect that Bill Russell was not playing with the triple doubles in mind. The whole thing seems artificial to me. How does Westbrook fare with triple base 8, 9, 11, 12 statistics, for example. That might make a more convincing argument. There seems to be an acceptance of base 10 and I thought I would give my opinion in this regard.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7450 on: April 29, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
I don't know how things would fare with using something other than 10 as a base, and I would agree that in any single game (or series) it wouldn't seem to be that important. It is indeed an artificial cut off. However, being only (I think) the 2nd player in NBA history to do it, combined with these being the most important stats in the sport, makes it relevant. He also led the league in points, and was 3rd overall in assists. Compare that to Jordan, who gets a lot of compliments about being the best ever, who led the league in points many times, but also led the league in missed field goals many seasons. It's hard scoring 30+ ppg, but the fact that a point guard (Westbrook) did it and simultaneously came close to leading the league in assists, and then throwing in a respectable forward's worth of rebounds... I mean, that's crazy to me.

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #7451 on: May 10, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »
Another year same results Caps choking in the playoffs. 

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7452 on: May 10, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »
Another year same results Caps choking in the playoffs.

I'm a Pens fan and I had to work during every game  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7453 on: May 17, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
This LaVar Ball stuff is going to be a perfect storm of schadenfreude if his son begins to slip in the draft. I feel bad for the kid, but his Father makes it hard to feel another way about the whole thing...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7454 on: May 17, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
I'm about to watch a high school baseball game on TV.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7455 on: May 18, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
Cool, what channel is it? In Maryland, they only show the state championship games on TV.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7456 on: May 18, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
It's called Spectrum. I live on the west coast of Florida.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7457 on: May 20, 2017, 11:49:34 PM »
Kang's drunk driving sentence was upheld, meaning he most likely won't get a visa and play this year. I assume this will cost him millions. Hopefully others who might drink and drive will take notice.

In other news... 1/4 of the way through the season and it looks like McCutchen really isn't going to get back to his all-star level (he's hitting .215 so far this season). Though confusingly, he isn't too far off his normal production in home runs and steals.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7458 on: June 14, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
Apparently the McGregor v. Mayweather thing is actually happening, in August no less. Tbh I never thought Floyd would take the risk, but I guess ego+money = entertainment for the rest of us.

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #7459 on: June 14, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
Apparently the McGregor v. Mayweather thing is actually happening, in August no less. Tbh I never thought Floyd would take the risk, but I guess ego+money = entertainment for the rest of us.

Haha I for one am excited about the fight.  I know boxing circles are pretty upset but as far as MMA is concerned McGregor has pretty good boxing (not to say he can hang with Mayweather).  Anyways, coming out of retirement for $100 million isn't a bad deal.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7460 on: June 23, 2017, 07:19:28 PM »
http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/16908/vote-should-roberto-clementes-no-21-be-universally-retired

Should Roberto Clemente's number be universally retired?

That's an interesting question.  I'm a Pirates fan, so that plays to my prejudice.  I live in Chicago right next to a Puerto Rican neighborhood school named after him, he is a really big deal for Puerto Ricans specifically, and I think Latin Americans in general, he was certainly a stand up guy and hero who died a tragic death.  But he wasn't really the first Latino baseball player, and let's face it Latinos entering baseball wasn't the same thing as an African American breaking segregation.

I don't know, I lean towards no...I don't think we need to universally retire too many numbers.  I get that Clemente transcends the sport, but I don't think I get the argument.

Thoughts?

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7461 on: June 27, 2017, 04:39:58 AM »
No. I am against retiring numbers, in general, because it takes usable numbers out of circulation, and special players could be honored in a different way, for instance, by being included in something similar to Monument Park.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7462 on: June 30, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
I'd almost given up hope in Sidney Crosby leading the league in points this year... and then he gets 5 goals in two games to pull into a tie for 1st with McDavid.

Thanks for the recommendation. I started watching this, but am only about 1/3 of the way through so far.

Your comments on Sid and Andy have been duly noted and sent to the inquisitors

• Merarches
« Reply #7463 on: July 22, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »

Because, yep, you knew I was gonna eventually have to say something about it all:

Well, as much I want revel in the precipitous downfall of Ole Miss football, I really just feel sorry for Hugh Freeze right now. But I don't feel sorry for the many obnoxious Ole Miss fans who spend their every waking hour ridiculing, disparaging, and bashing Nick Saban and ALABAMA at every turn.   

Many of us TIDE fans have been telling the Rebel supporters that their recent success was a house of cards built on sand; but they didn't want to hear it. They kept telling us that their football coach was a saint and that our coach was the devil. And when Ole Miss beat my Crimson Tide two years in a row, their fan base became even more insufferable than the Auburn fan base (and that’s not an easy accomplishment.) So, yeah, it might be good for some Ole Miss fans to stew in their own Hot Toddy juices for a while. Pride cometh before the fall, and Ole Miss is tumbling headlong from the glory of the Grove toward a gridiron graveyard.   

And believe me: we BAMA fans have had to suffer our own humiliations over the years. And we may have to suffer again in the future. I hope not; but I’ve learned the hard way not to be too boastful in success or too despondent in failure. So we know what this feels like; which is why we tried to warn the Ole Miss folks about stones and glass houses and such.   

But for now, on a more serious note, I want to make a few comments about Hugh Freeze:

The word “hypocrisy” has been flying around a lot in the wake of this scandal. “How dare Hugh Freeze profess to be a Christian and then commit a sin?! Hypocrite!” Well, even though I’ve never been a fan of Hugh Freeze, I’m not willing to label him a hypocrite. In fact, I’m much less disturbed by the revelation of his phone calls to an escort service than I was by the obvious corruption associated with his recruiting practices. (And no, I’m not so naïve as to think that BAMA or any other school is as pure as the driven snow when it comes to recruiting.) But I see a significant difference between a deliberate pattern of dishonesty and cheating in one’s professional life and failures of succumbing to temptations in one’s personal life. In the first instance you are deliberately disadvantaging and denying others by choosing to profit from dishonest practices. In the second instance you are caught up in a moment of temptation that leads you to make horrible decisions that, sadly, do negatively affect your own life and also the lives of those you love. But you aren’t plotting to deny or destroy your family by falling into temptations. However, when you cheat in business or cheat in sports, you are indeed plotting to deny and deprive others so that you may personally gain. So yes, it’s all sinful and wrong and shameful; but I’m not willing to call the man a hypocrite because he’s a professing Christian who happened to sin in his personal life. But that’s just my own opinion on the matter, perhaps formed by the realization of how many skeletons hang in my own closet. But others holier than me will probably see it differently. 

Yes, Hugh Freeze was very outspoken about his Christian faith. And as much as I tend to cringe at the saccharine evangelical fundamentalist mindset that leads people say “Jesus” and quote scripture with every other breath, I don’t believe those that do so are hypocrites simply because, alas, it turns out that they’re sinners. In fact, I never heard Hugh Freeze boast of his own virtue or claim to be a saint. When he spoke of his faith it always seemed to be with humility. He always pointed to his trust in Christ as the only hope and confidence he truly had. And I imagine that in the midst of this scandal and shame he is now trusting in Jesus even more. Because, you see, some people are truly so weak and frail and sinful that they actually need Jesus to carry them through this life. Count me among such company. 

So I won’t accuse the man of being a hypocrite. And I think we should all be very careful about accusing others of hypocrisy. If we’re truly honest with ourselves, I think most of us will see that we’re all guilty of our own hypocrisies at least on some level - yes, even us BAMA fans. wink emoticon;-) 

And that’s basically my two cents on it.

It’s hard to do the right things the right way all the time, especially in this day and age of instant gratification. But doing things the right way, the hard way, will produce the right fruit at the right time. Cliché as it sounds, there truly are no shortcuts to success. Integrity, hard work, faith, and humility are the four cornerstones of victory and success in life. And I say that as someone who constantly struggles with all of those things. I have yet to master any of them. Thank God that I’m not a public figure or famous individual whose decisions and failures and sins and mistakes are served up for the world to publicly ridicule and condemn. 

So let’s not cast the label of hypocrisy at anyone else before we closely examine our own lives. Let’s not be too proud of ourselves - blind to our own sins while shaking our heads at the sins of others. Otherwise we may very well come crashing down just like the Ole Miss football program.   

But with all sincerity, keep your heads up Ole Miss fans. I truly mean that. Eat your crow and choke down your humble pie today, and then keep fighting to build your program back up the right way. As a BAMA fan I want to beat you at your best while we’re also at our best. And I want us to both be programs that we can always be proud of, win or lose, on and off the field. 

As always, ROLL TIDE!

Gebre Menfes Kidus (AKA “TideMan”)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:30:04 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7464 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:05 PM »
http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/16908/vote-should-roberto-clementes-no-21-be-universally-retired

... I lean towards no...I don't think we need to universally retire too many numbers.  I get that Clemente transcends the sport, but I don't think I get the argument.

No. I am against retiring numbers, in general, because it takes usable numbers out of circulation, and special players could be honored in a different way, for instance, by being included in something similar to Monument Park.

+1

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7465 on: August 07, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
It's Auagust, which means #MACtion is coming soon.  This may finally be the perpetual bridemaid, Toledo's year.  I'm hoping.  They have a tough out of conference with Mia (fla), Nevada, and Tulsa.  They also have to beat archival BG  from the east along with their own division rivals Western MI, and Northern Illinois.  It's a tough schedule, I don't think they can run it, it'll be hard for them to get into a New Year day bowl. Swanson is going to be one of the better running backs, and Logan Woodside (QB) may be the best offensive player in the MAC, an I think Toledo will have a solid defense again.

This isn't the MACS year to get a new year Bowl, and I doubt anyone will be ranked by seasons end.

Best in the West:  Toledo, WMU, N.Ill

Best in the East:  Miami (Oh), Ohio, BGSU

Most of the same names we've seen in circulation.  It's nice to see Miami back up to snuff.  Again though, this probably isn't going to be the best year for the MAC, they'll probably only be better than the Sunbelt.

As for the Big Ten:

This is a great year for the Big Ten, the conference is really bouncing back.  The East may be one of the best divisions in football with three legit playoff contenders, and one or two outside chances.  I think MSU is still going to be rebuilding, and I think Michigan is the third man in the race between OSU and PSU.   The West seems a bit more chaotic, but still a solid division.  I think it's Wisconsin, followed by anyone else other than the usual cellar dwellers of Illinois and Purdue.  My guess is Nebraska and Iowa would be Wisconsins biggest competition

As for ND:

Fellow Toledoan (and school rival) Dishone Kirzner is gone, but they should have a solid O line and finally a pretty decent running game in Josh Adams.  The defense looks pretty solid.  I don't quite know what to make of that schedule because they are facing a lot of teams that could go either way this year AFAIK.

Georgia, USC, and Stanford are their big games.  MSU and Miami might be big games as well.  It may be too tough a schedule to get into the plaayoff this year for ND, but they may still get a New Year bowl.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:36:57 PM by William T »

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #7466 on: August 07, 2017, 11:36:23 PM »

... I lean towards no...I don't think we need to universally retire too many numbers.  I get that Clemente transcends the sport, but I don't think I get the argument.

+1
The more whole numbers retired the better. I'm all for mathematical diversity. I want to see players with the number 4.5, or 2 4/5 , or i-3.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:40:00 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7467 on: August 17, 2017, 04:21:52 PM »

He apparently isn't going to be a RC saint either.  8)

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7468 on: August 18, 2017, 10:40:49 PM »
We need more fair weather baseball fans. It's the diehard no-matter-what fans who enable the owners like the one in Pittsburgh. He's trying to turn a profit, I get it. But when fans say "your product is mediocre, you need to spend money to improve it," and his response is a tacit "lulz, why should I? You'll buy whatever slop I serve" then it's time to respond in a way that'll force him to listen.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:41:03 PM by Asteriktos »

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7469 on: August 18, 2017, 10:45:17 PM »
We need more fair weather baseball fans. It's the diehard no-matter-what fans who enable the owners like the one in Pittsburgh. He's trying to turn a profit, I get it. But when fans say "your product is mediocre, you need to spend money to improve it," and his response is a tacit "lulz, why should I? You'll buy whatever slop I serve" then it's time to respond in a way that'll force him to listen.
To be a Pirates fan is to know losing intimately. Why threaten their identity? I've never seen a sports franchise with such fan loyalty like the Pirates.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:45:44 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI