Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1468985 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7155 on: December 14, 2015, 10:41:02 PM »
Thank you! Yay. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #7157 on: December 28, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Is it true the Raiders are possibly, maybe leaving Oakland? I heard it yesterday, also they possibly been bumped down to #15 on draft picks from top 10 from the draft picks next year.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #7158 on: December 28, 2015, 02:34:07 PM »
Is it true the Raiders are possibly, maybe leaving Oakland? I heard it yesterday, also they possibly been bumped down to #15 on draft picks from top 10 from the draft picks next year.

Yes, it's true that they are possibly, maybe leaving Oakland.  It's also true that the Rams are possibly, maybe leaving St. Louis, and that the Chargers are possibly, maybe leaving San Diego.  Los Angeles seems to be the "promised land", and probably 2 of the 3 teams might, maybe, possibly end up there.  :D
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
« Reply #7159 on: December 28, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »

Yes, it's true that they are possibly, maybe leaving Oakland.  It's also true that the Rams are possibly, maybe leaving St. Louis, and that the Chargers are possibly, maybe leaving San Diego.  Los Angeles seems to be the "promised land", and probably 2 of the 3 teams might, maybe, possibly end up there.  :D

L.A. the "promised land"  ;D

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #7160 on: December 28, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »

L.A. the "promised land"  ;D
And all of this is possible because the NFL really, really wants a team in LA, and the Bills didn't work out.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline vansensei

• Faith: ex-Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: n/a
« Reply #7162 on: December 29, 2015, 03:22:43 AM »
The Vikings completely destroyed the Giants on Sunday and the Carolina Panthers lost to the same team that they beat 38-0 just some months ago. What a time to be alive.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
« Reply #7163 on: December 29, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »
The Vikings completely destroyed the Giants on Sunday and the Carolina Panthers lost to the same team that they beat 38-0 just some months ago. What a time to be alive.
Welcome to the NFL.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
« Reply #7164 on: December 30, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
I might be the only wrestling fan here, but if anyone remember how cool it was in the 80's, beforeit was exposed as staged,'l I have to recommend a documentary called Heros of World Class on youtube. I'm surpised how huge the Von Erichs brothers were, women loved them! They all could of been huge stars if it wasn't for all their tragedies and addiction, I also though Gino Hernandez could of been huge too. Nowadays fans sit on their butts, and the wrestlers all seem plain. My mom ex, when he grew up in Texas got to go to all the shows in Dallas.

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #7165 on: December 31, 2015, 11:18:51 PM »
So should I root for Cincinnati's division rivals, or the team who's beaten them at their only Super Bowl appearances? I'm pretty torn, and I thought you lot could help me pick a side. GO!

As a Redskins fan, I'm rooting against Baltimore fans, probably the single most annoying fanbase in the league outside of the Dallas-Fort Worth Area.

Edit: also, screw Haloti Ngata.

A fellow Redskins fan, grew up in the DC area.  To me Ravens' fans aren't too bad, to me the worst fan base is Phily.  For the past few years the only saving grace that team had was Andy Reid.  Now that he is in Kansas City I can fully justify my hate for the Eagles.  Die eagles die...
Hey, watch it, buddy! >:( That's Chip Kelly's team now. :police:

Kelly will be running back to collegiate level after the fans in Phily chew him up and spit him out.

Well just type "Chip Kelly fired" into the youtube search engine.  Love those Eagle fans. ;D

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7166 on: January 01, 2016, 01:53:57 AM »
Just wait. Gebre will soon post another long screed singing the praises of Nick Saban and his beloved Tide. And why not? They just kicked Michigan State's bahookies 38-0 in the CFP semifinals. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:56:21 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

• Merarches
« Reply #7167 on: January 01, 2016, 03:06:19 AM »
Just wait. Gebre will soon post another long screed singing the praises of Nick Saban and his beloved Tide. And why not? They just kicked Michigan State's bahookies 38-0 in the CFP semifinals. :)

This team continues to exceed my expectations. I'm extremely pleased that we're headed to the National Championship. It should be a great game. I think Clemson is legit, and they have exactly the type of QB who can give our defense trouble. But my Tide keeps rising to every challenge that comes their way this season. So I've learned not to doubt them. Either way this has been a better season than I ever expected. Back to back SEC Championships, back to back years in the playoffs, and a Heisman Trophy. So I'm a pretty happy guy right now. Hope I'll be even happier next Monday night.  :)

ROLL TIDE!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7168 on: January 01, 2016, 04:06:07 AM »

This team continues to exceed my expectations. I'm extremely pleased that we're headed to the National Championship. It should be a great game. I think Clemson is legit, and they have exactly the type of QB who can give our defense trouble. But my Tide keeps rising to every challenge that comes their way this season. So I've learned not to doubt them. Either way this has been a better season than I ever expected. Back to back SEC Championships, back to back years in the playoffs, and a Heisman Trophy. So I'm a pretty happy guy right now. Hope I'll be even happier next Monday night.  :)

ROLL TIDE!

Selam
You're going to have to wait a week, bud, for the game is not next Monday, but the Monday following next Monday.

• Merarches
« Reply #7169 on: January 01, 2016, 04:31:55 AM »

ROLL TIDE!

Selam
You're going to have to wait a week, bud, for the game is not next Monday, but the Monday following next Monday.

Yes. Next Monday, not this upcoming Monday.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7170 on: January 01, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »
The Pac 12 is looking pretty good in this bowl season. 5-2 right now with Christian McCaffrey and Stanford humiliating Iowa in the Rose Bowl. TCU will also play Oregon tomorrow without Trevone Boykin, who's now facing felony charges after getting into a bar fight, which makes the Alamo Bowl much more winnable for the Ducks.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #7171 on: January 10, 2016, 01:02:26 AM »
The Bengals are garbage. Been saying it for decades. They can't even close out a sure win.

I hope Paul Brown Stadium sinks into the Ohio.

Lol @ all Bengal fans. Your tears of grief feed my joy.
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7172 on: January 10, 2016, 02:37:13 AM »
Who dey??

"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #7173 on: January 10, 2016, 02:58:26 AM »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7174 on: January 10, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »
Who dec??

In light of the fact they are expected to complete the play as it is their job, it's not exactly Vince Lombardi's game anymore.
Would you do that after you completed your assigned task at work?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:17:39 AM by LenInSebastopol »
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7175 on: January 10, 2016, 03:15:14 PM »
Who dec??

In light of the fact they are expected to complete the play as it is their job, it's not exactly Vince Lombardi's game anymore.
Would you do that after you completed your assigned task at work?
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm it's a game. Please stop trying take the fun out of football.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7176 on: January 10, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
The Pac 12 is looking pretty good in this bowl season. 5-2 right now with Christian McCaffrey and Stanford humiliating Iowa in the Rose Bowl. TCU will also play Oregon tomorrow without Trevone Boykin, who's now facing felony charges after getting into a bar fight, which makes the Alamo Bowl much more winnable for the Ducks.

No PAC-12 team even made the playoff semifinals and TCU triumphed in OT.  PAC-12 is an overrated cinference.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7177 on: January 10, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »
I didn't see the end of the game. Serves me right. When I saw the turnover with like 1:30 left and they confirmed it I shut my TV off in mild disgust (I don't have enough interest to get to much more than 'mild'). I didn't realise what had happened until I saw the Trib online today with a headline about them winning.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7178 on: January 10, 2016, 04:27:10 PM »
I didn't see the end of the game. Serves me right. When I saw the turnover with like 1:30 left and they confirmed it I shut my TV off in mild disgust (I don't have enough interest to get to much more than 'mild'). I didn't realise what had happened until I saw the Trib online today with a headline about them winning.
Man you have been watching enough Steelers games to know that's its not over until that 4Q clock hits 0:00.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:27:26 PM by nothing »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #7179 on: January 10, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »
Man you have been watching enough Steelers games to know that's its not over until that 4Q clock hits 0:00.

And I've seen enough of Cincy sports to know they are a one and done town.

The Bengals have become to the NFL what the Bearcats have been to NCAA Basketball.m

I wish I could gloat over this loss with a plate of goetta.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7180 on: January 10, 2016, 10:37:35 PM »

And I've seen enough of Cincy sports to know they are a one and done town.

The Bengals have become to the NFL what the Bearcats have been to NCAA Basketball.m

I wish I could gloat over this loss with a plate of goetta.

• Merarches
« Reply #7181 on: January 10, 2016, 11:17:32 PM »
I ONLY USE ALL CAPS TO SAY ONE THING:

ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:17:47 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7182 on: January 11, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »

No PAC-12 team even made the playoff semifinals and TCU triumphed in OT.  PAC-12 is an overrated cinference.
6-4 in Bowl Games. Stanford destroyed an Iowa team that national semifinalist Michigan State needed a historic 4th-quarter drive to squeak by, showing that maybe Stanford deserved a playoff berth. Oregon was up 31-0 on TCU before their starting QB and center left the game with injuries. I would hardly say the Pac-12 is overrated.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:45:07 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7183 on: January 12, 2016, 02:54:09 AM »
Paging Gebre (once he gets over the hangover from his excessive celebration ;))

• Merarches
« Reply #7184 on: January 12, 2016, 07:28:33 AM »
Paging Gebre (once he gets over the hangover from his excessive celebration ;))

What a game. Anyone who appreciates great college football had to sit back in wonder at the great performances by both teams. Wow! Deshaun Watson is incredible, every bit as good as advertised. I am still trying to catch my breath. Just so incredibly proud and happy right now.  :) Expect another post very soon.  :)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #7185 on: January 12, 2016, 07:36:19 AM »
ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!
So happy. So overjoyed. So incredibly proud to be a BAMA fan tonight. What a game!

Congrats to Dabo Swinney, Deshaun Watson, and the Clemson Tigers on one heck of a football game. Two great teams went toe to toe for four quarters in one of the most exciting National Championships ever. Deshaun Watson seemed to have his way against the best defense in the nation. I didn’t know how we would find a way to win, but somehow we did. I’ll try to write more about the game later on, after I’ve calmed down and caught my breath. Right now I’m still too excited and overwhelmed to properly collect my thoughts about it all.

I’m in awe of coach Saban, our players, and this incredible Alabama Football program that continues to not only win but win the right way. Four National Championships in seven years, and five total now for Coach Nick Saban. No question about it: Coach Saban now stands shoulder to shoulder with The Bear.

I’m so proud of O.J. Howard, Kenyon Drake, Jacob Coker and every single player and coach that’s a part of this team. I’m so proud of my friend Sam Branch, our assistant athletic director who is a great Christian man and truly represents everything that BAMA stands for. I’m so proud and happy for all my fellow Alabama Crimson Tide fans, especially my Crimson comrades who live here with me in Mississippi. (What do you have to say now Hugh Kellenberger?!!!)

This has been a great year, capped off by this great night. Wow! What a win!

National Championship #16!

ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam, +GMK+ (aka “TideMan”)

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:36:40 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7186 on: January 12, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »

• Merarches
« Reply #7187 on: January 12, 2016, 11:57:05 PM »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7188 on: January 14, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »
Hey Gebre, can you share with us a larger photo of your avatar? Those giant 7-11 mugs are my favorite.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7189 on: January 14, 2016, 09:48:23 PM »
Hey Gebre, can you share with us a larger photo of your avatar? Those giant 7-11 mugs are my favorite.

Gebre, if that is you in your avatar, please excuse and forgive me, but for a guy who is one of the truest pacifists I've encountered, you look like a tough, mean motor scooter, gang-banging dude.....even a thuggish guy none would wish to encounter in a back alley! 
Did you ever get into the ring?
I have to laugh.....talk about strange world!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:50:03 PM by LenInSebastopol »
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7190 on: January 14, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »
Gebre you the real MVP

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:11:00 PM by nothing »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #7191 on: January 14, 2016, 10:15:09 PM »
Gebre you the real MVP

Lol! Perfect.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7192 on: January 15, 2016, 02:48:14 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed that Nick Saban kinda looks like Tommy Lee Jones?

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7193 on: January 15, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed that Nick Saban kinda looks like Tommy Lee Jones?
I would need side by side comparisons to confirm. Otherwise I don't see it.

• Merarches
« Reply #7194 on: January 16, 2016, 01:22:33 AM »
Gebre you the real MVP

Lol! Perfect.

Thanks! I graciously accept the award.  :)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #7195 on: January 16, 2016, 01:23:39 AM »

Gebre, if that is you in your avatar, please excuse and forgive me, but for a guy who is one of the truest pacifists I've encountered, you look like a tough, mean motor scooter, gang-banging dude.....even a thuggish guy none would wish to encounter in a back alley! 
Did you ever get into the ring?
I have to laugh.....talk about strange world!

LOL! Some of us pacifists are hard core.  ;)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7196 on: January 16, 2016, 01:24:23 AM »
I think Penn State is on the slide to complete oblivion in college football.  :'(

Bill O'Brian had done a great job in keeping the program afloat after the Sandusky thing, but Franklin is not the right guy for the job, I don't think.
God bless!

• Merarches
« Reply #7197 on: January 16, 2016, 01:26:00 AM »

Here you go. The BAMA mug was a Christmas gift from my children.  :)

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10042.msg1371218.html#msg1371218

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7198 on: January 17, 2016, 01:08:34 AM »

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7199 on: January 17, 2016, 01:09:16 AM »

Here you go. The BAMA mug was a Christmas gift from my children.  :)

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10042.msg1371218.html#msg1371218

Selam
In Gebre we Trust

Can I make that my permanent avatar? It's the greatest thing. I say that with no hint of sarcasm or mocking.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:14:02 AM by nothing »