Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1467873 times)

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7110 on: October 31, 2015, 01:32:58 PM »
Looking forward to the conclusion of the rings final, which includes the only Greek presence in the games.

Aaaand Lefteris Petrounias bagged the gold, like the worthy successor of the great Dimos Tambakos that he is. ;D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #7111 on: November 02, 2015, 12:57:08 AM »
lol baseball
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7112 on: November 02, 2015, 01:46:21 AM »
ROYALS!

MATT Harvey was absolutely dominate, and KC still won.  Amazing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:46:41 AM by William T »

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7113 on: November 02, 2015, 02:16:20 AM »
ROYALS!

MATT Harvey was absolutely dominate, and KC still won.  Amazing.

Volquez was, too, mind you.  Just shows you that when you are a one-dimensional team, like the Mets, there's only so far they can go.

Congrats, K.C.!
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7114 on: November 02, 2015, 02:17:39 AM »
lol baseball

You must be really boring. Did you even watch the game?  Or any of these games?  Lots of drama.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7115 on: November 02, 2015, 03:12:15 AM »
lol baseball

You must be really boring. Did you even watch the game?  Or any of these games?  Lots of drama.
Some people just aren't going to understand the greatness we see in the game of baseball. Personally, I think it a great tribute to the Royals' incredible resiliency that the Mets' closer Jeurys Familia finishes with a World Series line like this: a 1.93 ERA over 4 2/3 innings for a record of 0-1 and 3 blown saves. The Royals tied the game off him tonight with back-to-back groundouts!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:18:27 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7116 on: November 02, 2015, 10:18:44 AM »
Quote from: nothing sink=topic=10910.msg1350873#msg1350873 date=1446440228
lol baseball

What in the world are you talking about? Yeah I watched the game and had some good laughs.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7117 on: November 02, 2015, 05:38:47 PM »
Writing "lol baseball", to me, conjures up the idea that baseball is only to be mocked.  You didn't even mention the specific game that was being played, so I took it as more a blanket statement.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:39:10 PM by scamandrius »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7118 on: November 02, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »
Now it's time for real football to start, on real football nights.   That's right, Tuesday night MACtion.

Featuring the #20 Toledo Rockets vs. The Northern Illinois Huskies.  This is the Frazier-Ali matchup of the MAC.  Toledo has beat up it's out of conference cupcakes like Arkansas.  Northern Illinois unfortunately got upset (narrowly) by non-MAC Ohio team, The Ohio State Buckeyes.  But I don't think this takes away the lustre of this marquee matchup.

Unfortunately I have to watch this game in Chicago, which means I'll be surrounded by swarms upon swarms of arrogant and rowdy Huskie fanatics...but that's OK, I'll wear my Toledo shirt that day.  Hopefully it doesn't provoke these Chicago provincials to act out violently.

Either way, this should be a great defensive battle.

OFFENSIVE player to watch. RB Kareem Hunt (Toledo)

defensive player to watch: CB Shawan Lurry (Northern)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:09:53 PM by William T »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7119 on: November 02, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »
Writing "lol baseball", to me, conjures up the idea that baseball is only to be mocked.  You didn't even mention the specific game that was being played, so I took it as more a blanket statement.
I didn't want the 12th inning to ever end.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7120 on: November 04, 2015, 01:07:31 AM »
@$&@!##*!!!!

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #7121 on: November 08, 2015, 02:52:23 AM »
ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!
WOW! What a night! Complete dominance by my Crimson Tide in a 30-16 beat down of the #2 ranked LSU Tigers. Our defense held Heisman Trophy frontrunner Leonard Fournette to only 31 yards on 19 carries. Unbelievable! Meanwhile BAMA's Derrick Henry ran with a chip on his shoulder, proving to anyone who was watching that he deserves to be real Heisman frontrunner. He finished with 212 yards and 3 TD's on 38 carries. But at BAMA it's not about individual accolades; it's always about complete team football. And tonight we proved once again that a great individual is no match for a great team. This makes five in a row over the Cajuns. We have a tough one next week in Starkville, but I'm gonna enjoy this one for a while. I think we silenced all the naysayers who said we didn't deserve to be ranked #4. But the only thing that matters is where we finish at the end of the year. So we know there's still lots of work to do. But I love beating LSU. I just love it! So proud of my boys!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!  :) :) :)

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!
Selam
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:54:45 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7122 on: November 08, 2015, 03:17:59 AM »
Congrats to former Oregon State coach Mike Riley, who led the Cornhuskers of Nebraska to possibly the biggest upset so far this year: a win over unbeaten Michigan State.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7123 on: November 08, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
Congrats to former Oregon State coach Mike Riley, who led the Cornhuskers of Nebraska to possibly the biggest upset so far this year: a win over unbeaten Michigan State.

You mean congrats to the refs who made the biggest mistake in giving a touchdown to a receiver who was clearly ineligible.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7124 on: November 08, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »

You mean congrats to the refs who made the biggest mistake in giving a touchdown to a receiver who was clearly ineligible.
The refs didn't give Nebraska the game on that play, for MSU still had enough time to mount their own comeback and even screw up a chance to kick a winning FG.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:32:11 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7125 on: November 08, 2015, 03:01:48 PM »

The refs didn't give Nebraska the game on that play, for MSU still had enough time to mount their own comeback and even screw up a chance to kick a winning FG.

Yes, they did.  That officiating crew should be suspended just as that crew who officiated the Duke-Miami game was suspended for blowing calls on that final play of the game which gave Miami the win.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7126 on: November 08, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »

Yes, they did.  That officiating crew should be suspended just as that crew who officiated the Duke-Miami game was suspended for blowing calls on that final play of the game which gave Miami the win.
There's one key difference you're missing between yesterday's Nebraska/MSU game and last week's Duke/Miami game. Yesterday, Nebraska still had two downs left to take shots at the end zone if the right call had been made. Even after the call, Michigan State still had time to answer and were even in range for a game winning, albeit very long FG when they let time expire rather than spike the ball to stop the clock for one more play. The game was not decided by that one bad call. In the Duke/Miami game, time had already expired before Miami finally scored on the kick return. If the refs had made the right call on that play, the game would have been over, and Duke would have won.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:33:05 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7127 on: November 18, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »
#MACTion!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400787356

Also pray for Coach Gary Pinkle.  He has cancer and has to quit coaching.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:47:47 PM by William T »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7128 on: November 29, 2015, 09:18:07 PM »
Kobe Bryant announced earlier today that this NBA season will be his last.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14254236/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-announces-retire-season

Not to knock his amazing career, but it's about time he step aside and let the young bucks on his team grow into their roles as NBA players.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:19:11 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7129 on: November 29, 2015, 10:15:12 PM »

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14254236/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-announces-retire-season

Not to knock his amazing career, but it's about time he step aside and let the young bucks on his team grow into their roles as NBA players.
I remembered when he entered the league straight out of high school. He always seems young to me for that reason.
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #7130 on: November 29, 2015, 11:04:46 PM »
I am glad, I really am, that Kobe Bryant managed to stay with one team for his entire career.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7131 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:03 AM »
And now only Cam Newton and the Panthers stand unbeaten. The Patriots blow a 14-point lead in the snow at Denver and lose Gronk to another injury as the Broncos beat them in OT. Maybe Brock Osweiler is the QB for the present at Denver.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7132 on: November 30, 2015, 01:14:52 AM »
That was a great game, and Brock Osweiler definitely looked as if he could be the future of Denver. Once he gets more familiar with his receivers, he is going to be a great quarterback. It doesn't hurt that he has had the opportunity to sit under the tutelage of one of the best quarterbacks of all time.
God bless!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7133 on: November 30, 2015, 02:28:26 AM »
It makes me sick to think the Bengals might have a chance past the first round.

As anyone who watches the NFL should know, you need to be really good at defense in order to make any really game impact. This league is pure offense biased through and through.

Unfortunately the NFL caters to the Fantasy Football nerds, so it will be very unlikely anything will change on the defensive ends' favor.

Also the NHL is an utter joke and should be shut down.

• Merarches
« Reply #7134 on: November 30, 2015, 03:04:45 AM »

Yeah, I agree. I've never been a Kobe fan, but he was certainly an incredible player. As The Mathematician said, I respect the fact that he played for one team his entire career. And I respect him for having the self-awareness to realize it's time to step aside. I also admire Kobe's intellectual side. He's a very bright and introspective person. But I'm still not a fan. I do wish him well though.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7135 on: November 30, 2015, 04:31:04 AM »
It makes me sick to think the Bengals might have a chance past the first round.

As anyone who watches the NFL should know, you need to be really good at defense in order to make any really game impact. This league is pure offense biased through and through.
What counts for good defense is relative to how good the offenses are.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:31:20 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7136 on: November 30, 2015, 04:33:37 AM »

Yeah, I agree. I've never been a Kobe fan, but he was certainly an incredible player. As The Mathematician said, I respect the fact that he played for one team his entire career. And I respect him for having the self-awareness to realize it's time to step aside. I also admire Kobe's intellectual side. He's a very bright and introspective person. But I'm still not a fan. I do wish him well though.
Yeah, Kobe was often a bit of an * ahem * jerk to those around him, but nobody ever worked any harder than Kobe at preparing himself to play at the highest level and getting the most he could out of his skills.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:34:36 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #7137 on: November 30, 2015, 04:46:26 AM »

Yeah, Kobe was often a bit of an * ahem * jerk to those around him, but nobody ever worked any harder than Kobe at preparing himself to play at the highest level and getting the most he could out of his skills.

True.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7138 on: November 30, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »
Coach Richt is out at UGA.

While I think he's a great man and a decent coach, I think it was time for change. He made the program relevant again, but I'm not sure he is the guy who can take the team to the next level. Sure, we are guaranteed at least 9 wins a year with him, which leaves fans of most teams wondering why we would get rid of him. If you watch the Dawgs every year like I do, then you know how meaningless those wins turn out to be. We lost the 3 most important games on the schedule this year, and unfortunately this scenario is all too familiar to the fans.

People around these parts are responding to the decision as if Richt is the only coach in the country with any moral compass or who is invested in the development of the character of his players. Nonsense. I'm confident a program like Georgia can get another quality coach. I dont need a preacher at the helm, but I would prefer someone who can beat the Gators and not show up completely flat against Bama, LSU, or whoever we are favored to beat in a big game.

What do you think, Gebre?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:26:51 PM by Timon »
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

• Merarches
« Reply #7139 on: November 30, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »

While I think he's a great man and a decent coach, I think it was time for change. He made the program relevant again, but I'm not sure he is the guy who can take the team to the next level. Sure, we are guaranteed at least 9 wins a year with him, which leaves fans of most teams wondering why we would get rid of him. If you watch the Dawgs every year like I do, then you know how meaningless those wins turn out to be. We lost the 3 most important games on the schedule this year, and unfortunately this scenario is all too familiar to the fans.

People around these parts are responding to the decision as if Richt is the only coach in the country with any moral compass or who is invested in the development of the character of his players. Nonsense. I'm confident a program like Georgia can get another quality coach. I dont need a preacher at the helm, but I would prefer someone who can beat the Gators and not show up completely flat against Bama, LSU, or whoever we are favored to beat in a big game.

I'm afraid that you guys will get Kirby Smart from BAMA. He's a UGA grad and he's been with us a long time. I've been very pleased that he hasn't taken a head coaching job before now. But from what I hear, you guys are targeting Tom Herman from Houston. And it seems that Kirby Smart may be headed to SC. I don't know much about Tom Herman. But I agree with you that UGA needed to make a change. And I hate to say it, but I never bought the "classy guy" label that the media gave Mark Richt. His players acted like punks on and off the field year after year. So I never had much respect for the guy. A cameo appearance in a second rate evangelical propaganda film doesn't make someone a saint in my opinion.  ;)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7140 on: November 30, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »

I'm afraid that you guys will get Kirby Smart from BAMA. He's a UGA grad and he's been with us a long time. I've been very pleased that he hasn't taken a head coaching job before now. But from what I hear, you guys are targeting Tom Herman from Houston. And it seems that Kirby Smart may be headed to SC. I don't know much about Tom Herman. But I agree with you that UGA needed to make a change. And I hate to say it, but I never bought the "classy guy" label that the media gave Mark Richt. His players acted like punks on and off the field year after year. So I never had much respect for the guy. A cameo appearance in a second rate evangelical propaganda film doesn't make someone a saint in my opinion.  ;)

Selam

While I am not his biggest fan, I disagree with you in that I do believe he is a classy guy. I dont think he is very tough or intimidating which is why we had behavior issues. Players didnt figure there would be many consequences for their actions. Knowing his role in the community and knowing people associated with him, I have zero doubts about the quality of his character.

I'm hearing mixed things right now. I heard this morning that Tom Herman had "agreed" to replace him, but then I heard he "agreed on principle" on a new contract a Houston. It's hard to find credible sources to either. There is a ESPN reporter on twitter who talked to a "high ranking source" at UGA who says Smart is the only choice. I dont know a ton about Smart, but I know he has been successful at Bama.

As a Bama fan, how much control does Smart really have over the defense? It seems, from the outside, that Saban is 100% in control of everything that happens there and that his other coaches are just their for looks. Ha!

Im also reading a bit much into the comparisons between Smart and Muschamp, which concerns me. I just dont know enough about the guy I suppose.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

• Merarches
« Reply #7141 on: November 30, 2015, 02:59:01 PM »

Selam

While I am not his biggest fan, I disagree with you in that I do believe he is a classy guy. I dont think he is very tough or intimidating which is why we had behavior issues. Players didnt figure there would be many consequences for their actions. Knowing his role in the community and knowing people associated with him, I have zero doubts about the quality of his character.

I'm hearing mixed things right now. I heard this morning that Tom Herman had "agreed" to replace him, but then I heard he "agreed on principle" on a new contract a Houston. It's hard to find credible sources to either. There is a ESPN reporter on twitter who talked to a "high ranking source" at UGA who says Smart is the only choice. I dont know a ton about Smart, but I know he has been successful at Bama.

As a Bama fan, how much control does Smart really have over the defense? It seems, from the outside, that Saban is 100% in control of everything that happens there and that his other coaches are just their for looks. Ha!

Im also reading a bit much into the comparisons between Smart and Muschamp, which concerns me. I just dont know enough about the guy I suppose.

It's very hard for us fans to assess the potential of assistants to be head coaches. Kirby Smart has tons of control over the defense, believe me. I think he's passionate like Muschamp, but not nearly as emotionally unstable. All indications lead me to believe that he would be a great head coach at the right job. As a former UGA player, I think he's been holding out for this opportunity. It would be a great hire for the Dawgs.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/report-alabama-dc-kirby-smart-is-ugas-only-choice

http://onlineathens.com/sports/college-sports/2015-11-29/nick-saban-says-kirby-smart-would-make-outstanding-head-coach

Selam
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:05:34 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7142 on: November 30, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
We will take Coach Richt. Can we ship James Franklin as far out of PA as we can possibly get him?
God bless!

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7143 on: November 30, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
We will take Coach Richt. Can we ship James Franklin as far out of PA as we can possibly get him?

Interestingly enough, I once liked Franklin for UGA. I thought it was impressive what he was able to do at Vandy.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7144 on: November 30, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »

Selam

It's very hard for us fans to assess the potential of assistants to be head coaches. Kirby Smart has tons of control over the defense, believe me. I think he's passionate like Muschamp, but not nearly as emotionally unstable. All indications lead me to believe that he would be a great head coach at the right job. As a former UGA player, I think he's been holding out for this opportunity. It would be a great hire for the Dawgs.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/report-alabama-dc-kirby-smart-is-ugas-only-choice

http://onlineathens.com/sports/college-sports/2015-11-29/nick-saban-says-kirby-smart-would-make-outstanding-head-coach

Selam

We shall see. I suppose they wont make anything official with him until after the SEC title game. It seems that Herman is out for us. Smart appears more and more to be locked in.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7145 on: December 01, 2015, 04:31:34 PM »
delete!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:33:57 PM by William T »

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7146 on: December 02, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
Its official.

Kirby Smart will be named UGA's new head coach.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7147 on: December 06, 2015, 01:40:36 AM »
A game like Iowa vs MSU championship game is the reason why Big 10 football is the best football to watch.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7148 on: December 07, 2015, 12:41:33 AM »
For the second time in the last three years, a professional soccer team brought the championship cup home to Portland, Oregon. Two years ago it was the Thorns, our women's team, who won the first ever playoff championship awarded by the National Women's Soccer League. This year it's our men's team, the Timbers, beating Columbus Crew SC 2-1 in the MLS Final in Columbus, OH. Combine that with the historic NCAA women's soccer power, the University of Portland, one of the biggest suppliers of athletes to the NWSL, and I would say we play some really good soccer here in Portland. :)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:45:10 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #7149 on: December 07, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »

CONGRATS TO
THE ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE
ON WINNING THE 2015 SEC CHAMPIONSHIP
AND BACK TO BACK SEC TITLES!

Selam
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:14:13 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7150 on: December 08, 2015, 03:24:33 AM »
The Big Ten, MAC, and Notre Dame all have intriguing match ups.  Looking forward to this bowl season.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7151 on: December 13, 2015, 10:40:02 AM »
I hate to say it, but now the Warriors can go back and be a normal, regular team, albeit it right good one nevertheless.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

• Merarches
« Reply #7152 on: December 14, 2015, 08:18:49 AM »

I’ve seen some great running backs in my lifetime. As a child I saw Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson play in person. I watched Earl Campbell, Marcus DuPree, and Barry Sanders on TV. I remember Charles White’s epic 247 yard performance against Ohio State in the 1980 Rose Bowl. And I had the privilege of being in Baton Rouge to watch Sean Alexander rush for 292 yards in BAMA’s dominant victory over LSU in 1996. And besides Sean Alexander, I’ve seen many other great Alabama running backs: Major Ogilvie, Tony Nathan, Bobby Humphrey, Sherman Williams, Eddie Lacy, Trent Williams - and of course, BAMA’s first Heisman Trophy winner : Mark Ingram.

But the three greatest I ever saw were Herschel, Bo, and Earl Campbell. And I never thought I’d live to see a running back any better than those three. But Derrick Henry has proven me wrong. He’s bigger than Herschel, Bo, and Earl; and he has similar speed. He’s as physically punishing as Earl Campbell, and his first step is probably quicker than Herschel’s or Bo’s. But what most people don’t truly appreciate is Henry’s nimbleness. At 6’3” and 243 pounds, Derrick Henry has incredibly deft footwork – balletic really. His ability to sidestep tacklers, stop on a dime, and then accelerate full speed and run over defenders is simply astounding. And when you combine all those natural physical gifts with an indomitable spirit, a leadership mentality, and heart that never quits, then you have a Heisman Trophy winner and the greatest college running back that I’ve ever seen in my 47 years on this earth.

Derrick Henry has set a new standard. The greatest there ever was. (Not to mention that he also gave one of greatest Heisman acceptance speeches I've ever heard.)

I'm so incredibly proud to be a BAMA fan today.

ROLL “King Henry” ROLL!!!

Selam, +GMK+

+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7153 on: December 14, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »
I found lots of youth hockey stuff on Ustream. Nice to not have to pay to watch games. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #7154 on: December 14, 2015, 09:55:57 PM »
I found lots of youth hockey stuff on Ustream. Nice to not have to pay to watch games. :)

The NWHL (nwhl.co) streams all of their games for free.