Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1464975 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7065 on: October 14, 2015, 12:02:52 AM »
Steve Spurrier resigns:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/10/watch_steve_spurrier_retiremen.html

He was the guy that people loved to hate when he was at Florida. A perennial winner who was known for throwing his visor, yanking QB's for the slightest mistake, and taking pot shots at opposing coaches and schools. But I always respected the fact that he ran clean programs and truly cared about his players. And it's really remarkable that he was able to succeed as much as he did at South Carolina. He showed a lot of grace in his departing press conference. One of the all time greats. He'll be missed. Best of luck to the "head ball coach" in his future endeavors.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:13:29 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7066 on: October 14, 2015, 12:22:46 AM »
Steve Spurrier resigns:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/10/watch_steve_spurrier_retiremen.html

He was the guy that people loved to hate when he was at Florida. A perennial winner who was known for throwing his visor, yanking QB's for the slightest mistake, and taking pot shots at opposing coaches and schools. But I always respected the fact that he ran clean programs and truly cared about his players. And it's really remarkable that he was able to succeed as much as he did at South Carolina. He showed a lot of grace in his departing press conference. One of the all time greats. He'll be missed. Best of luck to the "head ball coach" in his future endeavors.

Selam
More like a midseason retirement is how I took this.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7067 on: October 14, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Hopefully LA can put the cubs away.  Assuming they can finish off the Mets.  Kershaw was great, if short rest yesterday. I'm. Rooting for a Royal/Dodger series.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:40:09 AM by William T »

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #7068 on: October 14, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Hopefully LA can put the cubs away.  Assuming they can finish off the Mets.  Kershaw was great, if short rest yesterday. I'm. Rooting for a Royal/Dodger series.
At this point, im cheering for anyone in the National League to win it. Cubs would be nice, but 100% okay with the Dodgers or mets. would be special for a Mets Blue jays series though, former Buffalo Bisons parent(Mets) against the current(BLue Jays)

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7069 on: October 14, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »

;D ;D ;D

At this point, im cheering for anyone in the National League to win it. Cubs would be nice, but 100% okay with the Dodgers or mets. would be special for a Mets Blue jays series though, former Buffalo Bisons parent(Mets) against the current(BLue Jays)

I thought the Bisons played for Cleveland?

It would be funny to see the Blue Jays win the series before the Maple Leafs, or any other hockey franchise from Canada for that matter, win the Stanley Cup.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7070 on: October 14, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
They did used to play under the Cleveland organization, but they've shifted a couple times since then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bisons
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7071 on: October 14, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
They did used to play under the Cleveland organization, but they've shifted a couple times since then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bisons

That's right, the Columbus Clippers are Cleveland now.  I forgot. 

And I am glad to see The St. Louis Cardinal embraced his roots and had a nice Catholic funeral.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:16:53 PM by William T »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7072 on: October 14, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »

;D ;D ;D

It would be funny to see the Blue Jays win the series before the Maple Leafs, or any other hockey franchise from Canada for that matter, win the Stanley Cup.
Toronto already has a World Series championship from 1993 (the only other Series clinched with a walk-off home run).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:29:22 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #7073 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Toronto already has a World Series championship from 1993 (the only other Series clinched with a walk-off home run).

To william: cleveland's last year was 2998, mets 2009-2012, toronto starting in 2013.

and, the habs clinched in 1993, same year as the jays

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7074 on: October 14, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Yeah, I remember watching that when I was very young.  But I think that may be the last time a Canadian team won anything in Baseball, Hockey, or Basketball.  I think other than that it was Montreal Canadians in 1993 (when the Pens inexplicably lost to the flipping Islanders).  So it would be funny to have the Blue Jays be the bookends to this drought.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:01:23 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7075 on: October 14, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »
wait....so Canada wins The Series and The Cup, Baseball and Hockey go on strike?  I call subversive conspiracy by Canada.  Toronto must be stopped at all costs.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7076 on: October 15, 2015, 12:02:18 AM »
Toronto vs. the Royals for the AL pennant.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7077 on: October 15, 2015, 12:57:46 AM »

As I hinted at, Canada is clearly a heretical nation. And I don't want to have to deal with the Cubs winning while I work, therefore the Cubs are evil, not because I think so, but because the Book of Enoch prophesied about their evilness.  So please brothers and sisters, do not fall for the false doctrines of the Cubs and Blue Jays.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7078 on: October 15, 2015, 01:42:44 AM »
Amen.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7079 on: October 15, 2015, 02:28:06 AM »

As I hinted at, Canada is clearly a heretical nation. And I don't want to have to deal with the Cubs winning while I work, therefore the Cubs are evil, not because I think so, but because the Book of Enoch prophesied about their evilness.  So please brothers and sisters, do not fall for the false doctrines of the Cubs and Blue Jays.
What about the Prophecy of Robert Zemeckis?

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7080 on: October 15, 2015, 04:01:12 AM »

Brother you are clearly under Western (time zone) delusion.  Are not the wicked cubs associated with The Curse of The Left Hand of goats (http://biblehub.com/matthew/25-33.htm), and did not the Cubs commit the blasphemous act of defeating the divinely appointed Eastern (time zone) Pirates   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_in_the_Outfield_(1951_film)) Do not watch such heretical, corrupt, and western movies (set in the evil Western state of California) as "Back to the Future", instead you should read more profitable things like the statistics and life of the honorable and righteous Honus Wagner (a good Eastern Boy)'
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:20:08 AM by William T »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7081 on: October 15, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »

Brother you are clearly under Western (time zone) delusion.  Are not the wicked cubs associated with The Curse of The Left Hand of goats (http://biblehub.com/matthew/25-33.htm), and did not the Cubs commit the blasphemous act of defeating the divinely appointed Eastern (time zone) Pirates   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_in_the_Outfield_(1951_film)) Do not watch such heretical, corrupt, and western movies (set in the evil Western state of California) as "Back to the Future", instead you should read more profitable things like the statistics and life of the honorable and righteous Honus Wagner (a good Eastern Boy)'
Dude, your Pirates couldn't hit their way out of a soggy paper bag. They deserved to lose.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7082 on: October 15, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »
ANAXIOS
God bless!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7083 on: October 15, 2015, 12:02:18 PM »
I was shocked and awed on what the Cardinals did to Arrieta.  And they still lost that game, because of the Cubs crazy batting.  The prophecy may be true.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:03:05 PM by William T »

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #7084 on: October 15, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »

We must keep the Canadian sanctity alive by having the glorious Eastern time zone Blue Jays achieve victory against the Godless heathen M-ss--- heretics. In a battle between the pizza jamais and the fish tacos, we must bow down to the glorious fish to feed us all

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7085 on: October 15, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »

Go, Royals.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7086 on: October 15, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »
Mets beat Dodgers 3-2.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7087 on: October 17, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Holy Mackerel!  GO MICHIGAN STATE!

#finkleiseinehorn
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:58:06 PM by William T »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7088 on: October 17, 2015, 08:02:26 PM »
lmbo michigan
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #7089 on: October 17, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »
being a canadian team isnt a strong enough reason to cheer for the jays anymore

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7090 on: October 24, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
Royals win the pennant and head to the world series. Go, Royals.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7091 on: October 24, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »
Penn State has some of the worst coaching I have ever seen.
God bless!

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7092 on: October 24, 2015, 11:05:39 PM »

Have you watched a Chiefs game this year?  I guarantee that it is a lot worse.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7093 on: October 24, 2015, 11:28:27 PM »

Have you watched a Chiefs game this year?  I guarantee that it is a lot worse.
Nope, but Andy Reid was the Eagles coach for a number of years so I will grant you that the coaching is probably pretty lousy.
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #7094 on: October 24, 2015, 11:51:32 PM »
American football in general is lousy

• Merarches
« Reply #7095 on: October 25, 2015, 02:35:19 AM »
It wasn't pretty, but any win over the Hillbillies always makes me happy! That's nine years in a row now! Smoke 'em if you got 'em!  :) :) :)

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7096 on: October 25, 2015, 03:21:10 AM »
All I can say after watching the end of Georgia Tech's upset win over Florida State is WOW! :o Not only did they block a FG and run it back for the game winning TD, but the guy who scored on that play made such a cut that he had a tackler spinning like a helicopter blade.

• Merarches
« Reply #7097 on: October 25, 2015, 04:08:18 AM »
All I can say after watching the end of Georgia Tech's upset win over Florida State is WOW! :o Not only did they block a FG and run it back for the game winning TD, but the guy who scored on that play made such a cut that he had a tackler spinning like a helicopter blade.

I saw it, and I teared up afterwards. My father was a Tech grad, and I grew up going to Tech games with him. I know that he was smiling in heaven (I think somehow God may allow that.  ;) ) Great day all around: BAMA wins, Auburn loses, and TECH defeats the Seminoles in a thriller. "Wow!" is right. ROLL TIDE and UP WITH THE WHITE AND GOLD!!!

Selam
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:09:19 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7098 on: October 25, 2015, 05:31:45 AM »

I saw it, and I teared up afterwards. My father was a Tech grad, and I grew up going to Tech games with him. I know that he was smiling in heaven (I think somehow God may allow that.  ;) ) Great day all around: BAMA wins, Auburn loses, and TECH defeats the Seminoles in a thriller. "Wow!" is right. ROLL TIDE and UP WITH THE WHITE AND GOLD!!!

Selam
And Miami (FL) had one of those games where heads tend to roll afterwards. YIKES! :o WORST. LOSS. EVER.

• Merarches
« Reply #7099 on: October 25, 2015, 05:47:02 AM »

Selam
And Miami (FL) had one of those games where heads tend to roll afterwards. YIKES! :o WORST. LOSS. EVER.

I doubt if I'll ever feel sorry for Miami.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7100 on: October 25, 2015, 08:06:25 PM »
If you haven't seen him yet, watch Bowling Green quarterback Matt Johnson play.  The only MAC ( aka: "the conference of quarterbacks") quarterbacks I've ever seen this good were Jordan Lynch, Ben Roethlisberger, Dan Lefeavour, Bruce Gradkowski, and Byron Leftwich.   Frankly, he may be better than all but Lynch and Roethlisberger.

If you get a chance, check out out #19 Toledo Rockets QB, Phillip Ely as well.  He is also playing at a very high level.  I don't think Toledo will go undefeated: Western Michigan, Northern Illinois, and archival BGSU (who they would probably have to play twice) is a really tough gauntlet....but the Toledo / BG game may be one for the ages.  What's really frustrating is BGSU really had a chance to beat a ranked Memphis Team and blew it...if they could have done that this match up would look even sexier.  BGSU might be top 25 material.

Anyway, now we get to watch Northern Illinois and Western Michigan start to get their groove back, and Ohio do its annual mid season collapse.  To the Mathematician:  I don't think Buffalo has a salvageable season.  If they're young, they may be solid next year.   Outside of the Former Big East conference The MAC seems to be the best midmajor conference this year, and The MAC West looks particularly competitive.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:22:05 PM by William T »

• Merarches
« Reply #7101 on: October 25, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »
If you haven't seen him yet, watch Bowling Green quarterback Matt Johnson play.  The only MAC ( aka: "the conference of quarterbacks") quarterbacks I've ever seen this good were Jordan Lynch, Ben Roethlisberger, Dan Lefeavour, Bruce Gradkowski, and Byron Leftwich.   Frankly, he may be better than all but Lynch and Roethlisberger.

If you get a chance, check out out #19 Toledo Rockets QB, Phillip Ely as well.  He is also playing at a very high level.  I don't think Toledo will go undefeated: Western Michigan, Northern Illinois, and archival BGSU (who they would probably have to play twice) is a really tough gauntlet....but the Toledo / BG game may be one for the ages.  What's really frustrating is BGSU really had a chance to beat a ranked Memphis Team and blew it...if they could have done that this match up would look even sexier.  BGSU might be top 25 material.

Anyway, now we get to watch Northern Illinois and Western Michigan start to get their groove back, and Ohio do its annual mid season collapse.  To the Mathematician:  I don't think Buffalo has a salvageable season.  If they're young, they may be solid next year.   Outside of the Former Big East conference The MAC seems to be the best midmajor conference this year, and The MAC West looks particularly competitive.

Phillip Ely is a transfer from BAMA.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7102 on: October 25, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »
Flip Saunders, former head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, died today of a Hodgkin's related cancer. He was only 60.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7103 on: October 25, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »

Phillip Ely is a transfer from BAMA.

Selam

Yeah, I was surprised we were able to pick him up.  Either way, he was going to beat Arkansas  lol.

Saban is a "transfer" from Toledo, lol. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:04:19 PM by William T »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7105 on: October 26, 2015, 12:18:35 PM »
Flip Saunders, former head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, died today of a Hodgkin's related cancer. He was only 60.
:(
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7106 on: October 28, 2015, 04:02:56 AM »
One thing I know now: Alcides Escobar is fast! :o

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7107 on: October 28, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »
One thing I know now: Alcides Escobar is fast! :o

Wow that was a marathon.  That game "forced" me to stay and spend more money at the bar yesterday.  Needless to say, I'm a little worse for wear today.

Plus prayers for Volquez and his family, his father died while he was pitching.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7108 on: October 31, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
Just witnessed the first quadruple gold medal tie in gymnastics history - in the asymmetric bars final (Fan Yilin, Viktoria Komova, Madison Kocian, Daria Spiridonova) of the World Championship. It was an incredibly close final, with only 0.7 point between first and eighth place. Looking forward to the conclusion of the rings final, which includes the only Greek presence in the games.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7109 on: October 31, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
Wow, neat!