Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1522102 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7020 on: October 04, 2015, 03:36:49 AM »
mispost
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:37:35 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7021 on: October 05, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
So the MAC is looking a bit clearer.

Top contenders: #24 Toledo, BGSU, Ohio (who should be undefeated).  I'm still keeping Northern in this group, central Michigan always gives them fits.

I don't see Toledo running their schedule, the last four games are going to be brutal.  And the MAC West champ will most likely be Ohio or BGSU.  That's a difficult gauntlet few can run.  Nevertheless, a one loss MAC champ might make a new years bowl. 

Possible contenders: Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Akron, Ball State.

BOTTOM Tier: Buffalo is a bit of a mystery, UMASS could play surprise spoiler in a game or two but I'm not expecting much from the rest of the conference, even if Eastern Michigan gave LSU a fight.

BIG 10:  I still don't know what to think of the West.  It's hard to argue with Northwestern or Iowa at this point though.  I still don't know what to think of Michigan.  I am still picking a one loss MSU to beat Ohio State, and I am still saying those are the two best teams, and I don't think the conference is as weak as some people say.  Pound for pound, the Big Ten is probably better than the ACC and Big 12 (and Oklahoma is the best team in the Big 12)...and I am calling the SEC overrated, I just don't know how overrated it is.

Notre Dame looked awful playing at Clemson in bad weather, but they still managed to keep the game close.  With their schedule, a one loss Notre Dame is a top 4 team.  Plus it's nice to see Deshone Kizer, of Toledo Central Catholic high school start for Notre Dame.

PAC 12:

I have no clue how to predict the pac 12 now, but it is great football and a blast to watch...perhaps the best in the nation.

Cincinnati beat Miami, glad to hear that.

baseball:

The  Pirates will get home field against the Cubs, Cole can hold his own against anyone...but I would rather face Sherzer, Kershaw, or anyone.else over Arrieta.  WS picks Toronto over Cubs in 5 games.  I don't know if their can be anything more frustrating than being a pirate fan and being in this central division race this year.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:18:38 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7022 on: October 05, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
Yesterday, after a couple of nap attacks, I missed a lot of games. :( Hopefully that won't happen today. I usually like to watch Monday Night Football.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #7023 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »

Top contenders: #24 Toledo, BGSU, Ohio (who should be undefeated).  I'm still keeping Northern in this group, central Michigan always gives them fits.

I don't see Toledo running their schedule, the last four games are going to be brutal.  And the MAC West champ will most likely be Ohio or BGSU.  That's a difficult gauntlet few can run.  Nevertheless, a one loss MAC champ might make a new years bowl. 

BOTTOM Tier: Buffalo is a bit of a mystery, UMASS could play surprise spoiler in a game or two but I'm not expecting much from the rest of the conference, even if Eastern Michigan gave LSU a fight.

BIG 10:  I still don't know what to think of the West.  It's hard to argue with Northwestern or Iowa at this point though.  I still don't know what to think of Michigan.  I am still picking a one loss MSU to beat Ohio State, and I am still saying those are the two best teams, and I don't think the conference is as weak as some people say.  Pound for pound, the Big Ten is probably better than the ACC and Big 12 (and Oklahoma is the best team in the Big 12)...and I am calling the SEC overrated, I just don't know how overrated it is.

Notre Dame looked awful playing at Clemson in bad weather, but they still managed to keep the game close.  With their schedule, a one loss Notre Dame is a top 4 team.  Plus it's nice to see Deshone Kizer, of Toledo Central Catholic high school start for Notre Dame.

PAC 12:

I have no clue how to predict the pac 12 now, but it is great football and a blast to watch...perhaps the best in the nation.

baseball:

The  Pirates will get home field against the Cubs, Cole can hold his own against anyone...but I would rather face Sherzer, Kershaw, or anyone.else over Arrieta.  WS picks Toronto over Cubs in 5 games.  I don't know if their can be anything more frustrating than being a pirate fan and being in this central division race this year.
Hoping my alma mater finishes at the bottom of the table and loses until they get rid of that horrific state university of NEW YORK buffalo terrible thing and returns the Bulls to Buffalo

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7024 on: October 05, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »

PAC 12:

baseball:

I know one thing more frustrating: Reading a poster who doesn't know the difference between there, their, and they're. ;)
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7025 on: October 05, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
Swype and autcorrect on a jerky bus ride be a harsh mistress.  Plus I think the internet naturally makes me post something more hastily.  That's one of the downsides of the internet...type first, think later.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:40:08 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7026 on: October 05, 2015, 10:45:21 AM »
Swype and autcorrect on a jerky bus ride be a harsh mistress.  Plus I think the internet naturally makes me post something more hastily.  That's one of the downsides of the internet.
Outside of that, I'm looking forward to seeing Arrieta skunk your Pirates. GO CUBS!

On an unrelated note, I'm happy to see Ichiro finally be given his chance to pitch in a Major League game. His line of one run allowed on two doubles for an ERA of 9.00 is pretty lousy, but at least he got to pitch. And his teammate Dee Gordon beat out Bryce Harper in a very close race for the NL batting title. Gordon's feat of leading the league in batting average and stolen bases matches... what Ichiro did his "rookie" year with the Mariners.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:47:25 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7027 on: October 05, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
Wow, by my count I was 0-2 on the "their, there" problem.  That is ugly. What's more embarrassing, Swype seems to not default to "their", so I can't blame Swype, just my own debauched mind.

I should go back to the grammar school exercise of writing "There dog peed on their tree" 100 times.
Holy Toledo!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7028 on: October 05, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
They're there. Everything will be OK.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7029 on: October 05, 2015, 11:05:15 AM »
Swype and autcorrect on a jerky bus ride be a harsh mistress.  Plus I think the internet naturally makes me post something more hastily.  That's one of the downsides of the internet.
Outside of that, I'm looking forward to seeing Arrieta skunk your Pirates. GO CUBS!

On an unrelated note, I'm happy to see Ichiro finally be given his chance to pitch in a Major League game. His line of one run allowed on two doubles for an ERA of 9.00 is pretty lousy, but at least he got to pitch. And his teammate Dee Gordon beat out Bryce Harper in a very close race for the NL batting title. Gordon's feat of leading the league in batting average and stolen bases matches... what Ichiro did his "rookie" year with the Mariners.

I wonder if in his last few years he can do relief pitching and pinch hitting out there in Seattle?  They're in need of middle relief right?  His slider looked good, his fastball hit 88, and having Ichiro around (and still hitting as a pinch hitter) could help fill up seats in their stadium.  (3-3 on their).

I'm in no rush to see Ichiro retire. It would be nice if he could extend his career for 4 or 5 extra years.  But going out pitching is a nifty way to retire.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:09:47 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7030 on: October 05, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »

I wonder if in his last few years he can do relief pitching and pinch hitting out there in Seattle?  They're in need of middle relief right?  His slider looked good, his fastball hit 88, and having Ichiro around (and still hitting as a pinch hitter) could help fill up seats in their stadium.  (3-3 on their).

I'm in no rush to see Ichiro retire. It would be nice if he could extend his career for 4 or 5 extra years.  But going out pitching is a nifty way to retire.
At only 65 hits away from 3000 (Amercian Big Leagues alone--if you include his time in the Japanese Big Leagues, he already has 4000, which puts him up there with Ty Cobb and Pete Rose), I think he has at least one year left in him.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7031 on: October 05, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »
The shame is he probably could have hit 4k in MLB and there would be no controversy about it.  He really was one of the best and most exciting players of our era (as a hitter, base runner, and centerfielder).

I have a couple Japanese friends and watched some Japanese games on satellite with them.  It's a great atmosphere, I'd love to go see a real game.  I'm not too sure how high the quality is though.  I get it's the second best baseball league out there, but my guess is it is just a little better than AAA.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:32:49 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7032 on: October 05, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
The shame is he probably could have hit 4k in MLB and there would be no controversy about it.  He really was one of the best and most exciting players of our era (as a hitter, base runner, and centerfielder).

I have a couple Japanese friends and watched some games on satellite with them.  It's a great atmosphere, I'd love to go see a real game.  I'm not too sure how high the quality is though.  I get it's the second best baseball league out there, but my guess is it is just a little better than AAA.
Yeah, I can remember how back in his prime about a full 1/4 of all of Ichiro's hits never left the infield. The guy was so fast that if a grounder off his bat took more than two hops to get to the shortstop, he was safe at first with a single. He even turned some of his grounders to second into infield singles. He's also the only player ever to hit an inside-the-park home run in an All-Star game.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:36:30 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7033 on: October 05, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »

I'm from Chicago and grew up a Cubs fan, but after I moved to Kansas City, I left them behind as my team.  So, I hope they continue to choke.  Besides, if the Cubs, whose fans are already pretty snobby and snooty, were to win, they'd be so insufferable that they will overtake the Yankees as the team America loves to hate.  Go BUCS!
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7034 on: October 05, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »

I'm from Chicago and grew up a Cubs fan, but after I moved to Kansas City, I left them behind as my team.  So, I hope they continue to choke.  Besides, if the Cubs, whose fans are already pretty snobby and snooty, were to win, they'd be so insufferable that they will overtake the Yankees as the team America loves to hate.  Go BUCS!

That's 100% TRUTH.  I had a slightly amicable feeling for the Cubs....until I moved to Chicago.  The fans and Wrigleyville ruined everything for me.  Working there on St Patrick's Day was one of the most obnoxious days of my.life.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:04:22 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7035 on: October 05, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
I was also dumb enough to agree to watch the game at a Lakeview (close to ground 0 for obnoxious Cub fans and college frat kids) sports bar with some die hard Cubs fans.  So prayers for me are appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:16:03 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7036 on: October 05, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »
Come to Philadelphia. You would be desperately pleading for those well mannered Cubs fans again.
God bless!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #7037 on: October 05, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
Come to Philadelphia. You would be desperately pleading for those well mannered Cubs fans again.
Do we need to come up with another list of the worst fanbases in the country?

Cause I can start

1. Boston
2. LA
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7038 on: October 05, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »

Cause I can start

1. Boston
2. LA

LA, really?  I never would have guessed.  Do you mean specially Laker fans, that's the only group I could think of that could be annoying.

I'M from Ohio, but I have to admit Buckeye fans are awful.  I prefer going to Ann Arbor to watch games, and I HATE the Wolverines.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:29:45 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7039 on: October 05, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »
All Boston teams have the worst fans. They are the top.

Philly is probably number 3, cause their sports teams fans are just nasty to other teams. Lakers fans are insufferable.

Yankees fans are bad too.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:31:30 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7040 on: October 05, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »

Cause I can start

1. Boston
2. LA
I have been to sporting events in Boston, and I would still say that Philly is worse. Boston is not far behind, though. I went to a BoSox game and it was not fun. Drunken happy fans are entertaining. Angry drunks are just scary, particularly when there is a whole stadium of them and they are losing. I have no experience with LA fans in large numbers.
God bless!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7041 on: October 05, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »

Cause I can start

1. Boston
2. LA
I have been to sporting events in Boston, and I would still say that Philly is worse. Boston is not far behind, though. I went to a BoSox game and it was not fun. Drunken happy fans are entertaining. Angry drunks are just scary, particularly when there is a whole stadium of them and they are losing. I have no experience with LA fans in large numbers.
Philly has the Flyers, probably worst fanbase in the NHL.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7042 on: October 05, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
The best games to go to in Philly are the Eagles. Especially if you are wearing a Cowboys jersey. I encourage you all to try it at least once in your life.
God bless!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7043 on: October 05, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »
The best games to go to in Philly are the Eagles. Especially if you are wearing a Cowboys jersey. I encourage you all to try it at least once in your life.
I'll be sure to wear my throwback Emmitt Smith jersey

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7044 on: October 05, 2015, 03:37:28 PM »
http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/10/most-obnoxious-fan-bases-in-sports/sec-football-fans

This article seems scientifically accurate, though it forgot Chicago Blackhawk, Cowboys, Steelers, and Longhorns.  People may not know this but St. Louis Cardinals are surprisingly annoying.
Holy Toledo!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7045 on: October 05, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
LOL at number 1.

Yeah Raiders fans are terrible, forgot about them.

Miami Heat is too high up though. Sure any sports team that gets great and wins a lot, will also have a ton of bandwagon fans. My favorite is when they were locked out during that one Finals game when it went to OT.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7046 on: October 05, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
LOL at number 1.

Yeah Raiders fans are terrible, forgot about them.

Miami Heat is too high up though. Sure any sports team that gets great and wins a lot, will also have a ton of bandwagon fans. My favorite is when they were locked out during that one Finals game when it went to OT.

Yeah I thought Miami was a bit high, same with Raider fans (because I don't know many).  But still Miami is a "Fake City" city with chincy glamour that occasionally buys a sports team to win.  It would be like Las Vegas getting a team.  Nothing good can come out of it.
Holy Toledo!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7047 on: October 05, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »

Royals fans can be pretty snobby, too. ;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7048 on: October 05, 2015, 04:20:38 PM »
http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/10/most-obnoxious-fan-bases-in-sports/sec-football-fans

This article seems scientifically accurate, though it forgot Chicago Blackhawk, Cowboys, Steelers, and Longhorns.  People may not know this but St. Louis Cardinals are surprisingly annoying.
The Steelers have the best, most considerate fanbase of any sport in the entire world.   ;)
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #7049 on: October 05, 2015, 09:19:30 PM »

The Steelers have the best, most considerate fanbase of any sport in the entire world.   ;)
yeahhhhh, ill take a pass on that one.

Especially as a non-Steeler fan with Baltimore allegiances(behind my primary bills of course)

• Merarches
« Reply #7050 on: October 06, 2015, 02:09:20 AM »
Because this deserves to be bumped. (Yeah, I'm a proud Papa!)

Zion was wonderful in his JV game this past Monday night. He caught a touchdown pass, ran for a touchdown, and threw a 25 yard TD pass in Jim Hill's 35-0 victory over Canton. He starts at wide receiver on the JV team and is the starting kicker on the varsity. Keep him in your prayers. His goal is to play for the Crimson Tide in a few years.  :)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7051 on: October 06, 2015, 02:11:16 AM »
No intent to diss Kam Chancellor's game saving strip, but man, the officials gave the Seahawks a gift tonight!!! :o
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:20:07 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7052 on: October 06, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »
In typical classless fashion, the Dawgs were woofing prior to kickoff.
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/video-alabama-georgia-fight/
But they were quickly and thoroughly silenced by the Crimson deluge that flooded the Sanford Stadium hedges. The Tide ROLLED in and the Dawgs whimpered away with their tails tucked between their legs. (And to all the BAMA haters out there: Please keep writing us off. We love it when you underestimate us.)

ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam

Gebre, I am done pouting so I can finally respond. Congrats to the Tide. I heard many in Athens, prior to the game, say that this wasnt a rivalry game. It was more of a litmus test to see where we are as a program. I think many have a healthy respect for Bama, and our team is starting to look more and more like the ones who were bringing championships to Tuscaloosa over the last few years.

Obviously, it went horrible for us. We are sick of this happening. I really wouldnt mind losing, but there is no excuse to get demolished the way we did. We looked like a cupcake d-2 school against you guys. The talent level is comparable between the tide and UGA. Once again, we were severely outcoached and underprepared. I dont mean to diminish your performance, but it happens to us at some point every year. There are no words. This shouldnt have been this ugly. It shouldnt have been that ugly in 2008. It shpuldnt have been that ugly against Florida last year. But it still happens. And its frustrating.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7053 on: October 07, 2015, 12:54:32 AM »
Yankees bit the dust, thanks to a guy named Dallas pitching for Houston.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:55:45 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #7054 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:47 AM »
But they were quickly and thoroughly silenced by the Crimson deluge that flooded the Sanford Stadium hedges. The Tide ROLLED in and the Dawgs whimpered away with their tails tucked between their legs. (And to all the BAMA haters out there: Please keep writing us off. We love it when you underestimate us.)

ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam

Gebre, I am done pouting so I can finally respond. Congrats to the Tide. I heard many in Athens, prior to the game, say that this wasnt a rivalry game. It was more of a litmus test to see where we are as a program. I think many have a healthy respect for Bama, and our team is starting to look more and more like the ones who were bringing championships to Tuscaloosa over the last few years.

Obviously, it went horrible for us. We are sick of this happening. I really wouldnt mind losing, but there is no excuse to get demolished the way we did. We looked like a cupcake d-2 school against you guys. The talent level is comparable between the tide and UGA. Once again, we were severely outcoached and underprepared. I dont mean to diminish your performance, but it happens to us at some point every year. There are no words. This shouldnt have been this ugly. It shouldnt have been that ugly in 2008. It shpuldnt have been that ugly against Florida last year. But it still happens. And its frustrating.

I understand your frustration. I don't think people really understand how hard it is to win SEC Championships and National Championships. It takes more than just great recruiting and great coaching. You need to have some luck along the way; and most of all, you have to build a program on a foundation of integrity, character, and class. That's what most people don't understand about Nick Saban. They think he just recruits great athletes and wins simply on talent alone. But there's really not as much of gap in talent as people realize, especially in the SEC. Saban doesn't just recruit great athletes, he recruits character people. And when we haven't won SEC Championships or National Titles, it hasn't been because we didn't have talent; it was because we didn't have the necessary character and leadership to overcome adversity and remain focused.

UGA has all the tangibles to be a top notch SEC program on a consistent basis. It's not unreasonable for UGA fans to expect to be at least in the hunt for a National Championship every five years or so. But the question is whether Georgia will ever try to clean up their act and cultivate a program that cares as much about integrity and class as they do about winning. Mark Richt may be a nice Christian guy, but his teams have consistently acted like punks on and off the field. And that's a reflection on him. Saban, on the other hand, is portrayed by the media as the antichrist, but his teams conduct themselves with sportsmanship and integrity on the playing field. And off the field incidents are rare with BAMA players under Nick Saban. He'll give a guy a second chance for minor infractions, but he won't tolerate much. And I'd rather lose the right way than win with disgrace.

You guys need to get a good coach who has a reputation for discipline and integrity. If I were UGA, I'd go after David Shaw at Stanford. His teams play SEC style football - strong defense, strong running game. And if he can recruit at an academically challenging school like Stanford, imagine how well he could recruit at UGA. That would be my first choice. But you guys are sort of stuck in no man's land. Mark Richt's overall record makes it difficult to fire him, but yet he seems to have proven that he can't win a National Championship. So, from a selfish standpoint, I hope you guys keep him around.  ;)

This cracked me up! (Warning: there's some profanity)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDiVAVoAQc

Selam
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:24:18 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7055 on: October 07, 2015, 01:20:35 AM »
Yankees bit the dust, thanks to a guy named Dallas pitching for Houston.

That's kind of funny.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7056 on: October 07, 2015, 10:19:53 AM »

ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam

I understand your frustration. I don't think people really understand how hard it is to win SEC Championships and National Championships. It takes more than just great recruiting and great coaching. You need to have some luck along the way; and most of all, you have to build a program on a foundation of integrity, character, and class. That's what most people don't understand about Nick Saban. They think he just recruits great athletes and wins simply on talent alone. But there's really not as much of gap in talent as people realize, especially in the SEC. Saban doesn't just recruit great athletes, he recruits character people. And when we haven't won SEC Championships or National Titles, it hasn't been because we didn't have talent; it was because we didn't have the necessary character and leadership to overcome adversity and remain focused.

UGA has all the tangibles to be a top notch SEC program on a consistent basis. It's not unreasonable for UGA fans to expect to be at least in the hunt for a National Championship every five years or so. But the question is whether Georgia will ever try to clean up their act and cultivate a program that cares as much about integrity and class as they do about winning. Mark Richt may be a nice Christian guy, but his teams have consistently acted like punks on and off the field. And that's a reflection on him. Saban, on the other hand, is portrayed by the media as the antichrist, but his teams conduct themselves with sportsmanship and integrity on the playing field. And off the field incidents are rare with BAMA players under Nick Saban. He'll give a guy a second chance for minor infractions, but he won't tolerate much. And I'd rather lose the right way than win with disgrace.

You guys need to get a good coach who has a reputation for discipline and integrity. If I were UGA, I'd go after David Shaw at Stanford. His teams play SEC style football - strong defense, strong running game. And if he can recruit at an academically challenging school like Stanford, imagine how well he could recruit at UGA. That would be my first choice. But you guys are sort of stuck in no man's land. Mark Richt's overall record makes it difficult to fire him, but yet he seems to have proven that he can't win a National Championship. So, from a selfish standpoint, I hope you guys keep him around.  ;)

Selam

SO many people here love Richt because hes such a good, southern Christian gentleman. But youre right, he does seem to have some trouble keeping his players in line. At the same time, they dont really tolerate poor behavior. They arent afraid to kick someone off the team, or suspend them while theyre under investigation even if that player is Todd Gurley.

I'd go even further and say that Georgia is at some point in some sort of Championship (SEC or Natnional) discussion nearly every season. We are consistently "good" but rarely great. Financially, the school and program are one of the best anywhere. In a sense, it seems like they are complacent and happy where they are. Who cares if we dont win championships if we're rich at the end of the day? We still win 90% or more of our games!

It is ridiculous, because I think that we are a top tier program. Yet we havent won a National Championship since 1980. Thats why I was sort of glad that the SEC streak came to an end a couple years ago. Sure, theres some conference pride when the SEC constantly wins, but at some point its a problem when my team doesnt win any of them.

Anyways, we arent out of it yet. Whoever wins the SEC will likely have 1 loss. We can win out then play you guys again in Atlanta, hopefully with better results this time.  Ha! (I'm not sure if I am ready to think about a rematch yet, though. Still sick to my stomach!)
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7057 on: October 08, 2015, 12:29:05 AM »
CUBS WIN! Jake Arrieta was just as unhittable as always, and the Pirates failed to score a run in the Wild Card game for the second straight year. (They had their chances with one out and the bases loaded in the 6th, but Jake killed that threat by getting the next hitter to ground into a double play.)

Next up: the first ever postseason matchup between the Cubs and their arch-rivals, the St. Louis Cardinals. Should be a great series for the state of Illinois.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:31:52 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7058 on: October 08, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »
CUBS WIN! Jake Arrieta was just as unhittable as always, and the Pirates failed to score a run in the Wild Card game for the second straight year. (They had their chances with one out and the bases loaded in the 6th, but Jake killed that threat by getting the next hitter to ground into a double play.)

Next up: the first ever postseason matchup between the Cubs and their arch-rivals, the St. Louis Cardinals. Should be a great series for the state of Illinois.

@!@$$!$!!! ##!@&!$# ~~~¢¢%!!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:47:15 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7059 on: October 08, 2015, 01:52:39 AM »

@!@$$!$!!! ##!@&!$# ~~~¢¢%!!!
C'mon now, tell us how you really feel.  ;) Then again, maybe that's not such a good idea. :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:53:23 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #7060 on: October 08, 2015, 03:43:44 AM »

ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam

Selam

SO many people here love Richt because hes such a good, southern Christian gentleman. But youre right, he does seem to have some trouble keeping his players in line. At the same time, they dont really tolerate poor behavior. They arent afraid to kick someone off the team, or suspend them while theyre under investigation even if that player is Todd Gurley.

I'd go even further and say that Georgia is at some point in some sort of Championship (SEC or Natnional) discussion nearly every season. We are consistently "good" but rarely great. Financially, the school and program are one of the best anywhere. In a sense, it seems like they are complacent and happy where they are. Who cares if we dont win championships if we're rich at the end of the day? We still win 90% or more of our games!

It is ridiculous, because I think that we are a top tier program. Yet we havent won a National Championship since 1980. Thats why I was sort of glad that the SEC streak came to an end a couple years ago. Sure, theres some conference pride when the SEC constantly wins, but at some point its a problem when my team doesnt win any of them.

Anyways, we arent out of it yet. Whoever wins the SEC will likely have 1 loss. We can win out then play you guys again in Atlanta, hopefully with better results this time.  Ha! (I'm not sure if I am ready to think about a rematch yet, though. Still sick to my stomach!)

Anything can happen in the SEC. It's a crazy year. We could meet again before it's all said and done.

I know it must irk UGA fans to no end that their in state rival has won a National Championship more recently than they have. And Florida somehow seems to have your number. But you're right: UGA has all the tools to achieve more than they have.

I have to point out again though, that unlike you, it seems that most UGA fans lack class. All that barking from fans and players before the game and during the game. I'd save all that woofing for after you win. Otherwise you wind up looking pretty humiliated, like y'all did Saturday. You may be just the man to help turn things around in that regard. You seem like a very classy guy. So help out your fellow Dawgs in that regard.  ;)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7061 on: October 08, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
So for those who don't know, people from Bowling Green are not real Toledoans (the #24 Rockets are real Toledoans).  They are sectarian, they don't worship at the right temple, they're cheats, and just in case they get a little uppity we have a rocket that is built to hit their stadium:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_Bowl

Anyway it seems that once in awhile a Good Falcon can come along and help a stranger out on the side of the road:

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/561115?referrer_id=878183

Coach Dino and physical trainer Chelsea Lowe did a quality act.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:18:08 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7062 on: October 08, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
MAC football:

MAC favorites Ohio, BGSU, and #24 Toledo should TCB this week.

Rivalry game between The Chippewas and the Broncos.  This series can get intense.  It's also the main battle in the Michigan MAC trophy (basement dweller Eastern being the other team involved in this).  Winner of this game becomes a a real competitor, the loser essentially is out of the contest for the division.

Northern Illinois and Ball State are in a similar situation.  This is do or die for both teams.

Buffalo has.a bye week.

Big 10:

As far as I'm concerned Michigan vs Northwestern is the game of the week.  The winner of this game will get on the national stage.  This should be a good ,gritty, defensive struggle.  The over/under is 35...This one will almost certainly go under.  While I'm rooting for Northwestern, Michigan will probably win this.

Do or die game:
Wisconsin at Nebraska.  Picking Wisconsin

Illinois at Iowa has become slightly more interesting, but Iowa should win...The same goes for Penn State over Indiana.  MSU and Ohio State should have easy wins.

Notre Dame vs 4-0 Navy rivalry this week.  Notre Dame is used to the triple option, nevertheless this should be a good game.  I'm picking Notre Dame.

Cal vs Utah:  I'm picking Utah.  Why?  60-20 vs Oregon.  I still don't believe what I saw.  I don't think Cal has played anyone yet either.  It will be nice to finally watch Groff though, I guess he is the best QB in.The nation.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:49:38 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7063 on: October 10, 2015, 12:58:11 AM »
Pitchers duel in LA tonight. Jacob deGrom (NY Mets) and Clayton Kershaw (LA Dodgers) combined for a Major League record 24 strikeouts (deGrom 13 K's in 7 IP and Kershaw 11 K's in 6 2/3 IP). A lot of high cheese.

This following another pitchers duel in St. Louis, where the Cardinals took a 1-0 lead from the first inning to the 8th before beating the Cubs 4-0.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:46:32 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7064 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:47:56 PM by PeterTheAleut »