Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1462425 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #6885 on: June 15, 2015, 02:43:57 AM »
Cavs lose and in the post game press conference Lebron brags about being the best player in the world. Every time I begin to like him he does or says something to make me lose respect for him.
You never respected him, anyway. How can he lose something he never had?

Wrong. I've always respected his incredible talent and I've praised it numerous times.
But you have never respected him. You praise his talent with one side of your mouth while you tear him down with the other.

The dude's just happy to have the media gush over how great he is, and in case they forget he's quick to remind them.
And you jumped my case for presuming to know Michael Jordan's heart. And you jumped my case for "attacking MJ personally". How are you not doing with the above exactly what you scolded me for?

I'm not making anything up here. He flat out bragged that he was the greatest player in the world after the loss tonight.
What you are making up here is that he's happy to have the media gush over how great he is. That's a personal judgment of his character nothing less than that of which you accused me when I spoke of Jordan not being the perfect team player you made him out to be.

Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and Golden State are going to work. Keep hating on Steph Curry and watch him hoist the trophy when it's all said and done.
No one is hating on Steph Curry. You're hating on LeBron, though.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The same tired accusations of "hate" from the Lebronists whenever anyone dares to criticize him.
Will you stop associating me with those "Lebronists" you so hate!!? I'm speaking my own personal opinions, not some party talking points. You defend Steph Curry against those haters you imagine in your own mind, yet you cannot see just how much you're hating on LeBron.

And Lebron will lose the series and be satisfied that the media has anointed him greater than Jordan, Magic, Oscar Roberston, and Wilt Chamberlain combined.
Except that the media still believe Jordan the better player.

I don't see that at all. I see the media desperate for Lebron to surpass Jordan. It gives them something to write and talk about.
Your blindness to what the media heads are really saying only reveals how insecure you are about Jordan's legacy. I have not heard one person in the media express any desperation for LeBron to surpass Jordan. And even in the hypothetical case that they are, why should that cause you so much consternation?

Gebre, the one thing I can see in this conversation is how right nothing is: the insecurities from Jordan fans like you are difficult to bear.

You're funny Peter. Accusing me of having blinders on because I dare to criticize poor Leron. You seem to be the one with the blinders, ignoring all the praise that I've given Lebron on a consistent basis. You only see the criticism and ignore the positive things I've often said about him. So you crack me up man. Really. But please keep the laughs coming.  :)

An BTW, while Nothing usually has some insightful things to say, he lost credibility when he said Stephen Curry isn't all that great. Talk about blinders.

Selam
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:45:26 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6886 on: June 15, 2015, 02:54:54 AM »
Cavs lose and in the post game press conference Lebron brags about being the best player in the world. Every time I begin to like him he does or says something to make me lose respect for him.

Wrong. I've always respected his incredible talent and I've praised it numerous times.
But you have never respected him. You praise his talent with one side of your mouth while you tear him down with the other.

The dude's just happy to have the media gush over how great he is, and in case they forget he's quick to remind them.
And you jumped my case for presuming to know Michael Jordan's heart. And you jumped my case for "attacking MJ personally". How are you not doing with the above exactly what you scolded me for?

I'm not making anything up here. He flat out bragged that he was the greatest player in the world after the loss tonight.
What you are making up here is that he's happy to have the media gush over how great he is. That's a personal judgment of his character nothing less than that of which you accused me when I spoke of Jordan not being the perfect team player you made him out to be.

Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and Golden State are going to work. Keep hating on Steph Curry and watch him hoist the trophy when it's all said and done.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The same tired accusations of "hate" from the Lebronists whenever anyone dares to criticize him.
Will you stop associating me with those "Lebronists" you so hate!!? I'm speaking my own personal opinions, not some party talking points. You defend Steph Curry against those haters you imagine in your own mind, yet you cannot see just how much you're hating on LeBron.

And Lebron will lose the series and be satisfied that the media has anointed him greater than Jordan, Magic, Oscar Roberston, and Wilt Chamberlain combined.

I don't see that at all. I see the media desperate for Lebron to surpass Jordan. It gives them something to write and talk about.
Your blindness to what the media heads are really saying only reveals how insecure you are about Jordan's legacy. I have not heard one person in the media express any desperation for LeBron to surpass Jordan. And even in the hypothetical case that they are, why should that cause you so much consternation?

Gebre, the one thing I can see in this conversation is how right nothing is: the insecurities from Jordan fans like you are difficult to bear.

You're funny Peter. Accusing me of having blinders on because I dare to criticize poor Leron. You seem to be the one with the blinders, ignoring all the praise that I've given Lebron on a consistent basis.
As I said, you praise him with one side of your mouth and tear him down with the other.

You only see the criticism and ignore the positive things I've often said about him.
No, I see both. The problem is that you don't.

So you crack me up man. Really. But please keep the laughs coming.  :)
What's really laughable is the level of historical revisionism you will use to glorify Jordan into a demigod and tear LeBron down.

An BTW, while Nothing usually has some insightful things to say, he lost credibility when he said Stephen Curry isn't all that great. Talk about blinders.
Whose blinders? Yours?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:03:02 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

• Merarches
« Reply #6887 on: June 15, 2015, 03:04:04 AM »

You're funny Peter. Accusing me of having blinders on because I dare to criticize poor Leron. You seem to be the one with the blinders, ignoring all the praise that I've given Lebron on a consistent basis.
As I said, you praise him with one side of your mouth and tear him down with the other.

You only see the criticism and ignore the positive things I've often said about him.
No, I see both. The problem is that you don't.

So you crack me up man. Really. But please keep the laughs coming.  :)
What's really laughable is the level of revisionism you will use to glorify Jordan into a demigod and tear LeBron down.

Whose blinders? Mine, his, or yours?

It's my objectivity that enables me to see Lebron's greatness as well as his flaws. It's your lack of objectivity that causes you to see my objective analysis of Lebron as somehow contradictory. But please keep the laughs coming. And good luck in game 6. And you don't have to worry, because you Lebronists will win either way. Even if the Warriors win the series, the media and Lebron himself will still be satisfied in proclaiming him the greatest player in the world.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6888 on: June 15, 2015, 03:11:30 AM »
It's my objectivity that enables me to see Lebron's greatness as well as his flaws.
Objectivity? Since when have you ever practiced objectivity on anything?

It's your lack of objectivity that causes you to see my objective analysis of Lebron as somehow contradictory.
Your objectivity would be apparent if only it were truthful. I don't see you acting objectively, though, when you engage in such obvious historical revisionism as you've shown here.

But please keep the laughs coming. And good luck in game 6. And you don't have to worry, because you Lebronists will win either way.
I'm not a LeBronist.

Even if the Warriors win the series, the media and Lebron himself will still be satisfied in proclaiming him the greatest player in the world.
Like the great Dizzy Dean once said, it ain't bragging if it's true. BTW, when was Jordan ever humble about his skill set?

• Merarches
« Reply #6889 on: June 15, 2015, 03:14:58 AM »
It's my objectivity that enables me to see Lebron's greatness as well as his flaws.

It's your lack of objectivity that causes you to see my objective analysis of Lebron as somehow contradictory.
Your objectivity would be apparent if only it were truthful. I don't see you acting objectively, though, when you engage in such obvious historical revisionism as you've shown here.

But please keep the laughs coming. And good luck in game 6. And you don't have to worry, because you Lebronists will win either way.
I'm not a LeBronist.

Even if the Warriors win the series, the media and Lebron himself will still be satisfied in proclaiming him the greatest player in the world.
Like the great Dizzy Dean once said, it ain't bragging if it's true. BTW, when was Jordan ever humble about his skill set?

Good luck with all that. Thanks again for the laughs.  :)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6890 on: June 15, 2015, 03:16:24 AM »

I'm not a LeBronist.

Dodge ball ain't your game, dude.

• Merarches
« Reply #6891 on: June 15, 2015, 03:24:07 AM »

I'm not a LeBronist.

I don't think sports in general is your game, dude.  ;)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6892 on: June 15, 2015, 03:27:55 AM »

I'm not a LeBronist.

Oh, to the contrary! I've forgotten more about sports than you've ever known.

• Merarches
« Reply #6893 on: June 15, 2015, 04:00:17 AM »

I'm not a LeBronist.

Spoke with true humility, a la Lebron James.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #6894 on: June 15, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »
Cavs lose and in the post game press conference Lebron brags about being the best player in the world. Every time I begin to like him he does or says something to make me lose respect for him. The dude's just happy to have the media gush over how great he is, and in case they forget he's quick to remind them.
I would have agreed with this when Lebron went to Miami and boasted "Not 1, not 2, etc.", that was pretty arrogant.

But saying he is the best player in the world is only stating the obvious. I know that rubs you the wrong way cause you value humility quite highly, but he has every right to feel confident sans his teammates.

He hasn't played very well this series, and this is the league MVP we are talking. He seems to show up only when the Cavs are fatigued.

The fact that the Cavs have kept this competitive, which nobody thought was going to happen, is either a testament to how great Lebron is (and making his teammates around him better) or GSW not executing as well as they should be, or maybe its both.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6895 on: June 15, 2015, 09:00:19 AM »

I'm not a LeBronist.

Spoke with true humility, a la Lebron James.

Selam
So you will judge LeBron's heart, but you won't allow me to judge Jordan's heart. Oh, the hypocrisy! ::)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:02:09 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6896 on: June 15, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that Orthodox Christian sports trash talking is the worst. My 6 year old trash talks better than this!
God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6897 on: June 15, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that Orthodox Christian sports trash talking is the worst. My 6 year old trash talks better than this!
Except this isn't trash talk anymore.

• Merarches
« Reply #6898 on: June 15, 2015, 09:17:52 AM »
Cavs lose and in the post game press conference Lebron brags about being the best player in the world. Every time I begin to like him he does or says something to make me lose respect for him. The dude's just happy to have the media gush over how great he is, and in case they forget he's quick to remind them.
I would have agreed with this when Lebron went to Miami and boasted "Not 1, not 2, etc.", that was pretty arrogant.

But saying he is the best player in the world is only stating the obvious. I know that rubs you the wrong way cause you value humility quite highly, but he has every right to feel confident sans his teammates.

He hasn't played very well this series, and this is the league MVP we are talking. He seems to show up only when the Cavs are fatigued.

The fact that the Cavs have kept this competitive, which nobody thought was going to happen, is either a testament to how great Lebron is (and making his teammates around him better) or GSW not executing as well as they should be, or maybe its both.

I always thought this would be a competitive series. In fact, I still think it will go 7 games. Sometimes I think I respect Lebron more than his own fans. He's the greatest player in the game, so no team is going to sweep the floor with his team. And I disagree with you regarding Steph. Every shot he makes is heavily contested, except for the occasional three point shot that he hit hits from about two feet across the midcourt line. 

Selam
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:18:09 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #6899 on: June 15, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »

It is on your end. Nothing but pure garbage.  ;)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6900 on: June 15, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »

Selam
No. You show your hypocritical double standard when you won't allow me to do to your sacred cow the very thing you do to others.

• Merarches
« Reply #6901 on: June 15, 2015, 09:50:09 AM »

Selam
No. You show your hypocritical double standard when you won't allow me to do to your sacred cow the very thing you do to others.

No I'm not. You are!  ::)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6902 on: June 15, 2015, 09:56:46 AM »

Yo mama!

Er, I mean...

Steelers players run like a bunch of broken down old men! Must be from all that coal mine toxic leakage and steel mill smoke! You went from the nose (Noll) to the chin (Cowher) to.. what? this?

You guys went 8-8 two straight seasons and were still so delusional that you thought you were Super Bowl contenders. Your throwback uniforms are the ugliest in THE HISTORY OF HISTORY. Racist as well--oh, what's that, we need jerseys for a sports league that is 67% african-american? Why don't we make them look like convicts! Or were the designers just throwing in our face the FACT that the Steelers are dirty and cheaters (ref uniforms--a symbol of rules and keeping games fair--have verticle stripes, so let's give the Steelers horizontal ones). Not that Pittsburgh Squealers players aren't also capable of crimes off the field. How do you guys preserve your "model franchise" facade and "they do things the right way" reputation? How much money have the Rooneys put in the pockets of that weasel Goddell? Your fans stink as well. Yinzers. *scoffs disgustingly* Smell like ramps and are twice as dumb.

Ummmm... wait a second, I just remembered that I'm a Steelers fan :-X  :P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:58:21 AM by Justin Kissel »
Facts loading, please wait

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #6903 on: June 15, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
Gebre's favorite MJ quote:

Michael Jordan Is 'Pretty Sure' He Could Defeat The Hornets In One-On-One
www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/14/michael-jordan-charlotte-hornets_n_7580808.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

"I'm pretty sure I can, so I don't want to do that and demolish their confidence," Jordan, said when asked if he could win against some of his players in one-on-one. "So I stay away from them, I let them think they're good, think that they are good -- but I'm too old to do that anyway."

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:33:29 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6904 on: June 15, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »

www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/14/michael-jordan-charlotte-hornets_n_7580808.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

"I'm pretty sure I can, so I don't want to do that and demolish their confidence," Jordan, said when asked if he could win against some of his players in one-on-one. "So I stay away from them, I let them think they're good, think that they are good -- but I'm too old to do that anyway."

Thank you! I was looking for a quote that would prove Gebre's double standard. LeBron loses Gebre's respect for sounding arrogant, yet in his attempts to defend the man he idolizes, Gebre glorifies Michael Jordan's equally crass arrogance. Makes me think that the only reason Gebre despises LeBron's apparent arrogance is that it threatens his image of Michael Jordan's legacy as the GOAT. Gebre isn't speaking from a genuine love for humility.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:06:30 PM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6905 on: June 15, 2015, 06:04:58 PM »

Thank you! I was looking for a quote that would prove Gebre's double standard. LeBron loses Gebre's respect for sounding arrogant, yet in his attempt to defend the man he idolizes, Gebre overlooks Michael Jordan's equally crass arrogance. Makes me think that the only reason Gebre despises LeBron's apparent arrogance is that it threatens his image of Michael Jordan's legacy as the GOAT. Gebre isn't speaking from a genuine love for humility.

LOL! That's not my favorite Jordan quote. I'll give you plenty later on if you want though.

And BTW, I've never argued that Jordan is humble. But I don't expect integrity from you in this debate. However, it's one thing to be arrogant when you've gone undefeated in 6 NBA championships and have been consistently praised as the best player in NBA history, and it's another thing to boast that you're the greatest player in the world after your team just lost. But I don't expect you to understand such distinctions.

Thanks again for the laughs.  :)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6906 on: June 15, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »

Thank you! I was looking for a quote that would prove Gebre's double standard. LeBron loses Gebre's respect for sounding arrogant, yet in his attempt to defend the man he idolizes, Gebre overlooks Michael Jordan's equally crass arrogance. Makes me think that the only reason Gebre despises LeBron's apparent arrogance is that it threatens his image of Michael Jordan's legacy as the GOAT. Gebre isn't speaking from a genuine love for humility.

LOL! That's not my favorite Jordan quote. I'll give you plenty later on if you want though.

And BTW, I've never argued that Jordan is humble. But I don't expect integrity from you in this debate. However, it's one thing to be arrogant when you've gone undefeated in 6 NBA championships and have been consistently praised as the best player in NBA history, and it's another thing to boast that you're the greatest player in the world after your team just lost. But I don't expect you to understand such distinctions.

Thanks again for the laughs.  :)

Selam
Oh, I understand such distinctions. You also criticized my humility. Now I know that you didn't do so out of a genuine love for humility. You criticize one's arrogance when it helps disparage someone you don't like, yet you will overlook someone else's arrogance when it's inconvenient for your idolatrous image of that person.

BTW, would you have criticized Jordan for making an arrogant sounding statement after one of his 11 NBA Finals game losses?

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #6907 on: June 15, 2015, 10:06:41 PM »
Disappointing Canada's WNT couldnt close out the victory over the Dutch, but winning the group is all that counts, and Canada has done so.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6908 on: June 16, 2015, 11:59:03 PM »
Well, it's over. The Golden State Warriors are now the NBA Champions for the first time in 40 years. We almost had a triple-double for each team in this game. GS's Draymond Green got his with 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists. LeBron almost got his third of the series with 32 points, 18 rebounds, and 9 assists.

Here's a little bit of trivia: Mychal and Klay Thompson just became the fourth father-and-son pair to both win NBA titles. Even stranger is that the last Warriors championship team had a father in one of the previous three pairs: Rick Barry, father of Brent Barry, who won two titles with the Spurs.

2015 Finals MVP: Andre Iguodala
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:09:21 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6909 on: June 17, 2015, 03:11:09 AM »

Congrats to the Golden State Warriors on winning the 2015 NBA Championship!!! They defeated the self-proclaimed (and media anointed) best player in the world with superior teamwork, better coaching, selflessness, character, and humility. It’s so refreshing to see a professional sports team with God-fearing players who are willing to sacrifice their egos and personal glory for the sake of team success. The Warriors are led by a coach who is brilliant but humble, and by a superstar who prioritizes the welfare of his team above his personal stats and individual awards. With Steve Kerr at the helm and a selfless superstar like Stephen Curry leading the way, I expect that this is just the beginning of Golden State’s success. Expect more championships in the future.

In the days and weeks to follow, the media will still be focusing on Lebron James. Before the Golden State players could even wipe the champagne from their faces, the media began making excuses for Lebron, attempting to elicit sympathy for him, magnifying his individual heroics by overly diminishing  the talent of his team. And in his post game press conference, Lebron once again attempted to glorify his own performance by throwing his teammates under the bus. To hear him talk, one would have thought that he had literally played the entire Golden State Warriors by himself. I guess we’re supposed to feel sorry for him. After all, as he reminded us after he lost game five, he’s the greatest player in the world. And how are we not supposed to feel sorry for the self-proclaimed greatest player in the world?

But the bottom line is that this championship isn’t about an individual. It’s not about Lebron. It’s about a team. It’s about a team with a superstar – the league MVP, by the way – who understands that championships are not won with statistics or braggadocio, but rather with humility, character, sacrifice, and selflessness. So this is about the Golden State Warriors, not Lebron. Let the media go on and on about “the greatest player in the world.” Fine. Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors will be bathing in the golden glitter of the NBA Championship trophy.

(And warning to Cleveland fans: don’t be surprised to see Lebron once again look for greener pastures. He tends to jump ship when things don’t work out for him. So if he breaks your heart again, don’t be surprised.)

Selam
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:13:35 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6910 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:17 AM »
Congratulations to the Warriors.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6911 on: June 17, 2015, 08:35:32 AM »
As soon as I heard how the game turned out, I immediately thought, I  wonder what Gebre and Peter are going to say.

I think that I might be spending too much time here. Lol
God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6912 on: June 17, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »

Congrats to the Golden State Warriors on winning the 2015 NBA Championship!!! They defeated the self-proclaimed (and media anointed) best player in the world with superior teamwork, better coaching, selflessness, character, and humility. It’s so refreshing to see a professional sports team with God-fearing players who are willing to sacrifice their egos and personal glory for the sake of team success. The Warriors are led by a coach who is brilliant but humble, and by a superstar who prioritizes the welfare of his team above his personal stats and individual awards. With Steve Kerr at the helm and a selfless superstar like Stephen Curry leading the way, I expect that this is just the beginning of Golden State’s success. Expect more championships in the future.

In the days and weeks to follow, the media will still be focusing on Lebron James. Before the Golden State players could even wipe the champagne from their faces, the media began making excuses for Lebron, attempting to elicit sympathy for him, magnifying his individual heroics by overly diminishing  the talent of his team. And in his post game press conference, Lebron once again attempted to glorify his own performance by throwing his teammates under the bus. To hear him talk, one would have thought that he had literally played the entire Golden State Warriors by himself. I guess we’re supposed to feel sorry for him. After all, as he reminded us after he lost game five, he’s the greatest player in the world. And how are we not supposed to feel sorry for the self-proclaimed greatest player in the world?

But the bottom line is that this championship isn’t about an individual. It’s not about Lebron. It’s about a team. It’s about a team with a superstar – the league MVP, by the way – who understands that championships are not won with statistics or braggadocio, but rather with humility, character, sacrifice, and selflessness. So this is about the Golden State Warriors, not Lebron. Let the media go on and on about “the greatest player in the world.” Fine. Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors will be bathing in the golden glitter of the NBA Championship trophy.

(And warning to Cleveland fans: don’t be surprised to see Lebron once again look for greener pastures. He tends to jump ship when things don’t work out for him. So if he breaks your heart again, don’t be surprised.)

Selam
You couldn't just congratulate the Warriors, could you? You had to spew the worst hatred I've ever seen you post toward LeBron. Now, no amount of praise for LeBron can ever override the fact that you're fundamentally a LeBron hater. Thank you for revealing your true colors with such clarity. ::)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:51:32 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6913 on: June 17, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6914 on: June 17, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
Well, it's over. The Golden State Warriors are now the NBA Champions for the first time in 40 years. We almost had a triple-double for each team in this game. GS's Draymond Green got his with 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists. LeBron almost got his third of the series with 32 points, 18 rebounds, and 9 assists.

Here's a little bit of trivia: Mychal and Klay Thompson just became the fourth father-and-son pair to both win NBA titles. Even stranger is that the last Warriors championship team had a father in one of the previous three pairs: Rick Barry, father of Brent Barry, who won two titles with the Spurs.

We?  Aren't you from Portland?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:55:35 AM by Elisha »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6915 on: June 17, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »

We?  Aren't you from Portland?
??? What are you talking about?

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6916 on: June 17, 2015, 12:05:43 PM »
You couldn't just congratulate the Warriors, could you? You had to spew the worst hatred I've ever seen you post toward LeBron. Now, no amount of praise for LeBron can ever override the fact that you're fundamentally a LeBron hater. Thank you for revealing your true colors with such clarity. ::)

I recall the 60 Minutes piece done on LeBron.....he wasn't alone in agreement when they declared he walked on water.
Also if you looked at camera time during the playoffs, LeBron was shown most often.
I like the guy and I am glad the Warriors won, but Gebre is not far from the truth.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6917 on: June 17, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »

I recall the 60 Minutes piece done on LeBron.....he wasn't alone in agreement when they declared he walked on water.
I imagine that's a bit of an exaggeration. The reason, though, that Gebre hates LeBron and all the praise he's receiving is that Gebre is jealous for Jordan's legacy. He's afraid and angry that LeBron is drawing all this attention away from discussion of how great Michael Jordan was. I remember watching Michael Jordan play, and I remember all the media attention and adulation he received. It was really no less "ridiculous" then what LeBron is receiving right now. He was lauded as not only the greatest player in the world, but as the greatest player of ALL TIME.

Also if you looked at camera time during the playoffs, LeBron was shown most often.
When Jordan played, he got more camera time than anyone else.

I like the guy and I am glad the Warriors won, but Gebre is not far from the truth.
The problem isn't that he's not far from the truth. The problem is the hateful conclusions he draws from this. The problem is how much he hates LeBron and all the attention he's receiving while he idolizes Jordan despite all the attention he received.

Look, for instance, at Gebre's speculation that LeBron will leave Cleveland again for greener pastures. Does he not recall that Michael Jordan left basketball altogether for a year-and-a-half to play minor league baseball, and without notifying the Bulls until the last minute before his departure? Does he not recall that Jordan pulled a Bret Favre and returned to the game of basketball for two years after he was well past his prime, only to alienate his Wizards teammates for all the attention he received when he should have been coaching them and making them better?

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6918 on: June 17, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
And the Giants' no-hitter got completely overshadowed by that basketball thing.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6919 on: June 17, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »

I imagine that's a bit of an exaggeration. The reason, though, that Gebre hates LeBron and all the praise he's receiving is that Gebre is jealous for Jordan's legacy. He's afraid and angry that LeBron is drawing all this attention away from discussion of how great Michael Jordan was. I remember watching Michael Jordan play, and I remember all the media attention and adulation he received. It was really no less "ridiculous" then what LeBron is receiving right now. He was lauded as not only the greatest player in the world, but as the greatest player of ALL TIME.

The problem isn't that he's not far from the truth. The problem is the hateful conclusions he draws from this. The problem is how much he hates LeBron and all the attention he's receiving while he idolizes Jordan despite all the attention he received.

Look, for instance, at Gebre's speculation that LeBron will leave Cleveland again for greener pastures. Does he not recall that Michael Jordan left basketball altogether for a year-and-a-half to play minor league baseball, and without notifying the Bulls until the last minute before his departure? Does he not recall that Jordan pulled a Bret Favre and returned to the game of basketball for two years after he was well past his prime, only to alienate his Wizards teammates for all the attention he received when he should have been coaching them and making them better?

Wasn't MJ considered the greatest athlete of all for eternity, not just for hoop but for all/everything, IIRC?
Somewhere around the house I think I have MJ in a baseball card wearing a uni; should look for it. The guy couldn't swing, let alone hit. However up until that time MJ was the greatest, going back to Bob Cusey, Bill The Hill, Nate the Great and Lew Alcindor as well as others.  As I recall, MJ had physicists come out and measure him as it was declared no object, human or otherwise, could defy gravity the way he did!
But I did not mean to get into the passions, so please allow me to bow out gracefully, as I smell blood & guts in the air around here.....or is it the fast, as I feel like dying for a burger. (whimper, snivel)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6920 on: June 17, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »

That boy was given a gift by the ump in the 9th.....so he could finish with such.
But, yeah, GO GIANTS!, even though the year is an odd number.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #6921 on: June 17, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »

That boy was given a gift by the ump in the 9th.....so he could finish with such.
i noticed it, and there is also a world cup going on.

then again, i feel like this thread should become the basketball thread, and let the other sports have our own thread.

or, a gebre v PtA thread would be fun too.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6922 on: June 17, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »

i noticed it, and there is also a world cup going on.

then again, i feel like this thread should become the basketball thread, and let the other sports have our own thread.
or, a gebre v PtA thread would be fun too.

The last part would be bloody good (now I see why the Brits use that expression).

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6923 on: June 17, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »
Just for fun, let's dissect this post:

Playing in the tough Western Conference as the Warriors do, I'm not so certain.

In the days and weeks to follow, the media will still be focusing on Lebron James.
Why not? They're focusing just as much time on Stephen Curry, Steve Kerr, and the Warriors.

Before the Golden State players could even wipe the champagne from their faces, the media began making excuses for Lebron, attempting to elicit sympathy for him, magnifying his individual heroics by overly diminishing  the talent of his team.
You can't stand to face the truth that the Cavaliers are a last place team without Varejao, Love, Irving, AND James? Dellavedova played well above his abilities for Cleveland's two wins, but fell back to his usual mediocrity for the rest of the series. JR Smith is a bonehead who can shoot every once in a while. Timofey Mozgov started the season as Varejao's backup. Nobody would have heard of these players if not for what they and LeBron did in the NBA Finals.

Oh, and BTW, the Bulls of the 90's made it to the Eastern Conference Finals in the one whole season they played without Jordan. I know you don't like being reminded of that in your efforts to diminish the talent MJ had around him in order to make MJ look like a player who "made his teammates better" and "willed them" to six NBA titles, but there it is.

And in his post game press conference, Lebron once again attempted to glorify his own performance by throwing his teammates under the bus.
By admitting that they've never been selected to any All-Star teams?

To hear him talk, one would have thought that he had literally played the entire Golden State Warriors by himself. I guess we’re supposed to feel sorry for him. After all, as he reminded us after he lost game five, he’s the greatest player in the world. And how are we not supposed to feel sorry for the self-proclaimed greatest player in the world?
The basketball world proclaimed him the best player in the world; LeBron's merely reiterating that. Many a player has proclaimed himself the best in the world, but no one else agrees with him. Should we fault LeBron for repeating what others have said about him already?

But the bottom line is that this championship isn’t about an individual.
No, a championship is not about one individual.

It’s not about Lebron.
And LeBron, more than any other person, knows that.

It’s about a team.

It’s about a team with a superstar – the league MVP, by the way – who understands that championships are not won with statistics or braggadocio, but rather with humility, character, sacrifice, and selflessness.
Exactly what LeBron learned by winning two titles with Miami.

So this is about the Golden State Warriors, not Lebron.
This is about the Golden State Warriors, AND LeBron.

Let the media go on and on about “the greatest player in the world.” Fine.
Seems to me that they're spending a fair amount of time--in fact, just as much time--congratulating Golden State for their championship trophy.

Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors will be bathing in the golden glitter of the NBA Championship trophy.
Half the number of championship rings LeBron has on his fingers.

Just like Michael Jordan broke the hearts of Bulls fans by bolting to play baseball for a year-and-a-half?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6924 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:47 AM »
Not a good night for Cleveland... The Indians, that is... The Cubs just whooped their butts 17-0, scoring 4 of those runs on a grand slam by Kris Bryant.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6925 on: June 18, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »
Not a good night for Cleveland... The Indians, that is... The Cubs just whooped their butts 17-0, scoring 4 of those runs on a grand slam by Kris Bryant.

Cavs lost last night, Indians will be in or near the cellar for the rest of the year in the AL Central and I don't expect the Browns to do much come September.  Maybe if the Cavs won it all, maybe everything else would have come out better, too.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #6926 on: June 18, 2015, 01:29:28 AM »
Just for fun, let's dissect this post:

Playing in the tough Western Conference as the Warriors do, I'm not so certain.

In the days and weeks to follow, the media will still be focusing on Lebron James.
Why not? They're focusing just as much time on Stephen Curry, Steve Kerr, and the Warriors.

Before the Golden State players could even wipe the champagne from their faces, the media began making excuses for Lebron, attempting to elicit sympathy for him, magnifying his individual heroics by overly diminishing  the talent of his team.
You can't stand to face the truth that the Cavaliers are a last place team without Varejao, Love, Irving, AND James? Dellavedova played well above his abilities for Cleveland's two wins, but fell back to his usual mediocrity for the rest of the series. JR Smith is a bonehead who can shoot every once in a while. Timofey Mozgov started the season as Varejao's backup. Nobody would have heard of these players if not for what they and LeBron did in the NBA Finals.

Oh, and BTW, the Bulls of the 90's made it to the Eastern Conference Finals in the one whole season they played without Jordan. I know you don't like being reminded of that in your efforts to diminish the talent MJ had around him in order to make MJ look like a player who "made his teammates better" and "willed them" to six NBA titles, but there it is.

And in his post game press conference, Lebron once again attempted to glorify his own performance by throwing his teammates under the bus.
By admitting that they've never been selected to any All-Star teams?

To hear him talk, one would have thought that he had literally played the entire Golden State Warriors by himself. I guess we’re supposed to feel sorry for him. After all, as he reminded us after he lost game five, he’s the greatest player in the world. And how are we not supposed to feel sorry for the self-proclaimed greatest player in the world?
The basketball world proclaimed him the best player in the world; LeBron's merely reiterating that. Many a player has proclaimed himself the best in the world, but no one else agrees with him. Should we fault LeBron for repeating what others have said about him already?

But the bottom line is that this championship isn’t about an individual.
No, a championship is not about one individual.

It’s not about Lebron.

It’s about a team.

It’s about a team with a superstar – the league MVP, by the way – who understands that championships are not won with statistics or braggadocio, but rather with humility, character, sacrifice, and selflessness.
Exactly what LeBron learned by winning two titles with Miami.

So this is about the Golden State Warriors, not Lebron.
This is about the Golden State Warriors, AND LeBron.

Let the media go on and on about “the greatest player in the world.” Fine.
Seems to me that they're spending a fair amount of time--in fact, just as much time--congratulating Golden State for their championship trophy.

Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors will be bathing in the golden glitter of the NBA Championship trophy.
Half the number of championship rings LeBron has on his fingers.

Just like Michael Jordan broke the hearts of Bulls fans by bolting to play baseball for a year-and-a-half?

I think Rick Barry is more interesting.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

• Merarches
« Reply #6927 on: June 18, 2015, 02:04:23 AM »

I've never uttered a hateful word about LeBron. I don't hate anyone. So I won't respond to you anymore in this discussion.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6928 on: June 18, 2015, 02:14:12 AM »

I've never uttered a hateful word about LeBron. I don't hate anyone. So I won't respond to you anymore in this discussion.
You can justify your rant any way you want, but you cannot deny that you just eviscerated LeBron James. You don't think that shows a deep, enduring, intense emotion expressing animosity, anger, and hostility towards LeBron (the definition of hatred found in the Penguin Dictionary of Psychology)? I think it does.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:23:02 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6929 on: June 21, 2015, 03:49:05 AM »
Max Scherzer is a scholar and a gentleman great pitcher and a class act
Facts loading, please wait