Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1524719 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #6840 on: June 07, 2015, 04:13:46 AM »
PeterTheAleut:

There's no way we'll ever see eye to eye on Jordan and Lebron. That's cool. No way to prove who's right. But I will continue to make one argument above all others, an argument which I can't prove unless somebody actually takes a poll of former and current NBA players and coaches. And my argument is this:

Take any four NBA players, past or present, and let them play each other - in other words, if these four players could be cloned and could actually play against each other. Now ask former and current NBA players who they'd rather have on the team with those four guys, Jordan or Lebron. Like I said, I have no way to prove this, but I would be willing to bet that at least 75% of former and current NBA players and coaches would choose Jordan over Lebron. And I would also be willing to bet that Jordan's team would beat Lebron's team 7 out of 10 times if they could play each other. Again, I realize there's no way to prove this, but I would love to see a poll taken. Because while we can argue stats all day long, I trust the opinion of those who have actually played and coached on the NBA level above yours or mine.

Now, to end this on a conciliatory note: I think Lebron is a great player. I think he's probably the best in the NBA right now, although I don't think he's as far above the competition as Jordan was in his day. But Lebron is a wonderful player. I admire his unselfishness (although sometimes he's unselfish to a fault), and I have great respect for his all around game. He can handle the ball, he can shoot, he's unstoppable when he drives to the basket (which I wish he'd do more often), and he's a terrific passer. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I think he's a better passer than Jordan, and Jordan was very underrated in that area. Lebron also plays good defense and is a great rebounder. He has the total package. He can use either hand when he drives, a truly multi-dimensional superstar. And like I said before, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. Nothing to hate about him at all. I respect him greatly. In fact, I think he'll still make this at least a 6 game series. So, let's agree to agree that Lebron is a great player.  :)

Selam
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:14:51 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6841 on: June 07, 2015, 04:51:57 AM »
PeterTheAleut:

There's no way we'll ever see eye to eye on Jordan and Lebron. That's cool. No way to prove who's right. But I will continue to make one argument above all others, an argument which I can't prove unless somebody actually takes a poll of former and current NBA players and coaches. And my argument is this:

Take any four NBA players, past or present, and let them play each other - in other words, if these four players could be cloned and could actually play against each other. Now ask former and current NBA players who they'd rather have on the team with those four guys, Jordan or Lebron. Like I said, I have no way to prove this, but I would be willing to bet that at least 75% of former and current NBA players and coaches would choose Jordan over Lebron. And I would also be willing to bet that Jordan's team would beat Lebron's team 7 out of 10 times if they could play each other. Again, I realize there's no way to prove this, but I would love to see a poll taken. Because while we can argue stats all day long, I trust the opinion of those who have actually played and coached on the NBA level above yours or mine.
And yet your exercise is based on nothing but conjecture about how other players and coaches, both past and present, may think. The simple fact is you'll never know. So I hope you don't mind me dismissing this exercise as the meaningless projection it is.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:57:15 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6842 on: June 07, 2015, 04:56:51 AM »
On a different topic...

So there's a new book out now with more mudslinging, arrows, and stones thrown at Allen Iverson. (Well, to be fair, I haven't read all of it yet. So I'll give a further assessment when I'm finished.)
So why are you judging the book and its author(s) before you've even read it?

Because from the beginning of the book the author makes unsubstantiated accusations, such as claiming that Iverson was drunk during his infamous "practice" rant.
How do you know the book doesn't substantiate those accusations if you've never read it to the end?

I will retract my remarks if I am wrong. But I've already heard someone who knows Iverson very well say that this is an outright lie. And Iverson himself has said that he was not drunk during that rant. The book is very interesting though, and as I said, I'll give a full assessment of it when I'm through. But I find it quite interesting that you don't defend A.I. with the same zeal that you defend your beloved Lebron.
Not defending anyone with even half the zeal with which you defend your beloved Jordan. ;) Do remember that you were here to defend Jordan before anyone even criticized him.

• Merarches
« Reply #6843 on: June 07, 2015, 05:29:12 AM »
On a different topic...

So there's a new book out now with more mudslinging, arrows, and stones thrown at Allen Iverson. (Well, to be fair, I haven't read all of it yet. So I'll give a further assessment when I'm finished.)

Because from the beginning of the book the author makes unsubstantiated accusations, such as claiming that Iverson was drunk during his infamous "practice" rant.
How do you know the book doesn't substantiate those accusations if you've never read it to the end?

I will retract my remarks if I am wrong. But I've already heard someone who knows Iverson very well say that this is an outright lie. And Iverson himself has said that he was not drunk during that rant. The book is very interesting though, and as I said, I'll give a full assessment of it when I'm through. But I find it quite interesting that you don't defend A.I. with the same zeal that you defend your beloved Lebron.
Not defending anyone with even half the zeal with which you defend your beloved Jordan. ;) Do remember that you were here to defend Jordan before anyone even criticized him.

I will admit something to you. I confess: Jordan cannot be defended, so it's absurd for me to try.  ;)

Selam
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:30:58 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6844 on: June 07, 2015, 05:37:25 AM »
On a different topic...

I will admit something to you. I confess: Jordan cannot be defended, so it's absurd for me to try.  ;)
He can now, old man. ;)

• Merarches
« Reply #6845 on: June 08, 2015, 12:08:06 AM »
Another great game between the Warriors and the Cavs. I'm not surprised at all. This will be at least a six game series, as I've said from the beginning. Once again Cleveland had control of the game and let Golden State back in it. They were fortunate that Curry had one his worst games ever. But a win is a win, and this will be fun to watch all the way through. LeBron made some costly turnovers and still couldn't close the deal in regulation, but he nevertheless played a brilliant game. Nice to see him playing physical for a change and attacking the basket. Great stuff from LeBron.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6846 on: June 08, 2015, 12:58:42 AM »
Another great game between the Warriors and the Cavs. I'm not surprised at all. This will be at least a six game series, as I've said from the beginning. Once again Cleveland had control of the game and let Golden State back in it. They were fortunate that Curry had one his worst games ever. But a win is a win, and this will be fun to watch all the way through. LeBron made some costly turnovers and still couldn't close the deal in regulation,
How many times has he closed the deal in regulation?

but he nevertheless played a brilliant game. Nice to see him playing physical for a change and attacking the basket. Great stuff from LeBron.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:52:05 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6847 on: June 08, 2015, 01:46:04 AM »
How bout them Bucs?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6848 on: June 08, 2015, 01:54:42 AM »
How bout them Bucs?
How bout them Cubs?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6849 on: June 08, 2015, 05:47:50 PM »
Apple to pay Indians pen's 'ransom' for HR

Not sure which is more embarrassing, the atrocious headline or the 'ransom demands' for the ball...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6850 on: June 09, 2015, 12:53:05 AM »
How bout them Bucs?
How bout them Cubs?

Which ones?

Boss.

Ahhh, the goose. His beautiful name is surpassed by nothing in the world, except of course his beautiful mustache.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6851 on: June 09, 2015, 12:59:32 AM »
How bout them Bucs?
How bout them Cubs?

Which ones?

Boss.

Ahhh, the goose. His beautiful name is surpassed by nothing in the world, except of course his beautiful mustache.
This guy:

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6852 on: June 09, 2015, 01:13:49 AM »
This guy:

Maybe he should use a bigger bat?

Nevermind... I just looked at his stats for this year; I don't want him to have any extra advantages.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6853 on: June 10, 2015, 02:03:32 AM »
Three reasons why the Golden State Warriors are in a much more dire situation now than they were after Game 3 of their Memphis series (when they were also down 2-1):
  • The Warriors showed in Game 1 of the Memphis series that they could dominate the Grizzlies. They haven't shown yet that they can dominate the Cavaliers for more than one quarter of a game. In fact, the Cavs have outplayed GS for most of this series and are only a missed buzzer beater away from leading this series 3-0.
  • As good as the Grizzlies were on defense, Cleveland's defense, now that that's almost all they have left with most of their best offensive players out, has shown itself the best in the NBA.
  • Memphis's best player was center Marc Gasol. Cleveland has LeBron James. Both were named to this year's First Team All NBA, but...
    • Gasol has never been named the league's MVP. LeBron has won this award four times.
    • Gasol has never played in the NBA Finals. Not including this year, LeBron has played in the Finals five times, winning two titles.
    • Gasol depends heavily on teammates feeding him the ball to give him opportunities to score in the post. LeBron can create his own offense anywhere from the point to the post.
    • Gasol may be a good passer for his center position, but LeBron is much better at creating offensive opportunities for his whole team.

I don't think Cleveland is a lock yet to win this series, but they certainly have Golden State in a position of adversity Steve Kerr and his team have never previously faced this year.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:18:52 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6854 on: June 10, 2015, 02:25:26 AM »
Three reasons why the Golden State Warriors are in a much more dire situation now than they were after Game 3 of their Memphis series (when they were also down 2-1):
  • The Warriors showed in Game 1 of the Memphis series that they could dominate the Grizzlies. They haven't shown yet that they can dominate the Cavaliers for more than one quarter of a game. In fact, the Cavs have outplayed GS for most of this series.
  • As good as the Grizzlies were on defense, Cleveland's defense, now that that's almost all they have left with most of their best offensive players out, has shown itself the best in the NBA.
  • Memphis's best player was center Marc Gasol. Cleveland has LeBron James. Both were named to this year's First Team All NBA, but...
    • Gasol has never been named the league's MVP. LeBron has won this award four times.
    • Gasol has never played in the NBA Finals. Not including this year, LeBron has played in the Finals five times, winning two titles.
    • Gasol depends heavily on teammates feeding him the ball to give him opportunities to score in the post. LeBron can create his own offense anywhere from the point to the post.
    • Gasol may be a good passer for his center position, but LeBron is much better at creating offensive opportunities for his whole team.

I don't think Cleveland is a lock yet to win this series, but they certainly have Golden State in a position of adversity Steve Kerr and his team have never previously faced this year.

Yep. Lebron played a wonderful game. That's the Lebron that I like to see. He played physical, driving to the basket and not settling for long range jump shots. When he drives, even if he doesn't make the shot, he gives his teammates opportunities for offensive put backs and he neutralizes Golden State's fast break rhythm.

I've never bought into all the hype about Golden State being the clearly superior team. As much as Lebron likes to make it seem like his team is woefully depleted, he's actually still surrounded by some excellent ball players. And even though I'm really pulling for the Warriors, Cleveland is playing my style of basketball. Tenacious defense, dominating the boards, and just plain out hustling Golden State.

I don't want to overreact - just as I thought it was absurd when people started predicting a Golden State sweep after game one - but I don't see Golden State winning the series at this point. They are too one dimensional, living and dying by the three point shot. Cleveland seems to be the more balanced team right now, and they are dictating the terms of engagement. It will be interesting to see if Steve Kerr can find some answers.

But either way, these have been three terrific games to watch. And I expect every game from here on out to be just as thrilling.

The NBA is great to watch in the late rounds of the playoffs and the finals. It's a shame that the regular season is so lackluster. They should have a 50 game season, which would increase the importance of each game and make the regular season much more interesting. It would also preserve the longevity of the athletes. But I know that will never happen.

Selam
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:32:49 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6855 on: June 10, 2015, 02:34:34 AM »
  • The Warriors showed in Game 1 of the Memphis series that they could dominate the Grizzlies. They haven't shown yet that they can dominate the Cavaliers for more than one quarter of a game. In fact, the Cavs have outplayed GS for most of this series.

Yep. Lebron played a wonderful game. That's the Lebron that I like to see. He played physical, driving to the basket and not settling for long range jump shots. When he drives, even if he doesn't make the shot, he gives his teammates opportunities for offensive put backs and he neutralizes Golden State's fast break rhythm.

I've never bought into all the hype about Golden State being the clearly superior team. As much as Lebron likes to make it seem like his team is woefully depleted, he's actually still surrounded by some excellent ball players. And even though I'm really pulling for the Warriors, Cleveland is playing my style of basketball. Tenacious defense, dominating the boards, and just plain out hustling Golden State.

I don't want to overreact - just as I thought it was absurd when people started predicting a Golden State sweep after game one - but I don't see Golden State winning the series at this point. They are too one dimensional, living and dying by the three point shot. Cleveland seems to be the more balanced team right now, and they are dictating the terms of engagement. It will be interesting to see if Steve Kerr can find some answers.

But either way, these have been three terrific games to watch. And I expect every game from here on out to be just as thrilling.

Selam
If Cleveland does win this series, will you promise to shut up about how LeBron is inferior to Michael Jordan for the former's "inability to seal the deal"? ;) If LeBron can lead his team to the series win, this will simply be the greatest, most heroic individual performance ever seen in an NBA Finals. As great as he was, Jordan never carried his team to an NBA title with nothing more than a group of role players to help him; he always had a couple of All Stars on his side (Scottie Pippen, who is himself one of the top 50 players of all time, Horace Grant, Dennis "The Worm" Rodman, et al.), and, with the possible exception of Pippen's migraine in Game 7 of the 1990 Eastern Conference Finals loss to the Pistons, they were always healthy through the postseason.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:41:37 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6856 on: June 10, 2015, 03:04:02 AM »

Selam
If Cleveland does win this series, will you promise to shut up about how LeBron is inferior to Michael Jordan for the former's "inability to seal the deal"? ;) If LeBron can lead his team to the series win, this will simply be the greatest, most heroic individual performance ever seen in an NBA Finals. As great as he was, Jordan never carried his team to an NBA title with nothing more than a group of role players to help him; he always had a couple of All Stars on his side (Scottie Pippen, who is himself one of the top 50 players of all time, Horace Grant, Dennis "The Worm" Rodman, et al.), and, with the possible exception of Pippen's migraine in Game 7 of the 1990 Eastern Conference Finals loss to the Pistons, they were always healthy through the postseason.

This is exactly why we Lebron detractors get so frustrated. Even when we acknowledge his greatness and give him due credit when it's deserved, you Lebronists just can't ever be satisfied. You keep insisting that we proclaim him to be greater than Jordan. Like Lebron himself, you minimize the talent around him in order to magnify his achievements, and then you magnify the talent that was around Jordan in order to minimize Jordan's achievements. Some of us truly understand that Lebron is great, and we really do want to like him. But you zealots just turn us off. Good grief.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6857 on: June 10, 2015, 03:58:02 AM »

Selam

This is exactly why we Lebron detractors get so frustrated. Even when we acknowledge his greatness and give him due credit when it's deserved, you Lebronists just can't ever be satisfied. You keep insisting that we proclaim him to be greater than Jordan.
Will you put aside your stereotypes and actually ask me what my position is? I've never professed myself to be a LeBronist. I've never proclaimed that he's greater than Jordan. On the contrary, I've only ever defended him against unfair comparisons that make him to be inferior to Jordan. I really think it's too soon in LeBron's career to compare him favorably or unfavorably against Michael Jordan.

Like Lebron himself, you minimize the talent around him in order to magnify his achievements,
You do that with Michael Jordan. You minimize the talent he had around him to magnify his achievements. MJ was indeed one of the greatest basketball players ever, but the Bulls almost won the Eastern Conference title while he was trying his hand at minor league baseball. During Jordan's 1 1/2-year first retirement, the Bulls were a very good team without him.

and then you magnify the talent that was around Jordan in order to minimize Jordan's achievements.
You magnify the talent around LeBron to minimize his achievements. Let's face it, he doesn't have a single all star helping him right now. Matthew Dellavedova? Iman Shumpert? Timofey Mozgov? Tristan Thompson? When has any of those players ever been an all star? How do they compare to Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, and Dennis Rodman? Heck, three of these guys started the season on the bench behind Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, and Anderson Varejao. Do recall also that the Cavs had the NBA's worst record during the four years LeBron played in Miami, and the roster he has currently surrounding him isn't much different from those teams. I think I have a pretty strong case for my complaint that you're magnifying the talent currently on the Cavs team in order to minimize what LeBron will accomplish if he leads the Cavs to victory in this series.

Some of us truly understand that Lebron is great, and we really do want to like him. But you zealots just turn us off.
I'm not a LeBron zealot, so quit lumping me together with those "LeBron zealots" you so despise. I am speaking merely my own individual opinions. Remember also that it's your zealotry for Michael Jordan that prompted you to take the initiative to compare LeBron unfavorably against Jordan even though no one else here ever attacked Jordan first.

Good grief.
Don't get your skivvies all in a wad over just a little good natured trash talk.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:07:53 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6858 on: June 10, 2015, 04:07:28 AM »

Selam

This is exactly why we Lebron detractors get so frustrated. Even when we acknowledge his greatness and give him due credit when it's deserved, you Lebronists just can't ever be satisfied. You keep insisting that we proclaim him to be greater than Jordan.
Will you put aside your stereotypes and actually ask me what my position is? I've never professed myself to be a LeBronist. I've never proclaimed that he's greater than Jordan. On the contrary, I've only ever defended him against unfair comparisons that make him to be inferior to Jordan.

Like Lebron himself, you minimize the talent around him in order to magnify his achievements,
You do that with Michael Jordan. You minimize the talent he had around him to magnify his achievements. MJ was indeed one of the greatest basketball players ever, but the Bulls almost won the Eastern Conference title while he was trying his hand at minor league baseball.

and then you magnify the talent that was around Jordan in order to minimize Jordan's achievements.
You magnify the talent around LeBron to minimize his achievements. Let's face it, he doesn't have a single all star helping him right now. Matthew Dellavedova? Iman Shumpert? Timofey Mozgov? Tristan Thompson? When has any of those players ever been an all star? How do they compare to Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, and Dennis Rodman? Heck, three of these guys started the season on the bench behind Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, and Anderson Varejao. Do recall also that the Cavs had the NBA's worst record during the four years LeBron played in Miami, and the roster he has currently surrounding him isn't much different from those teams. I think I have a pretty strong case for my complaint that you're magnifying the talent currently on the Cavs team in order to minimize what LeBron will accomplish if he leads the Cavs to victory in this series.

Some of us truly understand that Lebron is great, and we really do want to like him. But you zealots just turn us off.
I'm not a LeBron zealot, so quit lumping me together with those "LeBron zealots" you so despise. I am speaking merely my own individual opinions. Remember that it's your zealotry for Michael Jordan that prompted you to take the initiative to compare LeBron unfavorably against Jordan even though no one else here ever attacked Jordan first.

Good grief.
Don't get your skivvies all in a wad over just a little good natured trash talk.

It seems that you're the one getting your "skivvies all in a wad" over this. My first post after the game was nothing but praise for Lebron and the Cavs. And yet you still found a way to argue with me. I love the trash talk, but you don't know when to let it go. Again, you'd have to have actually played sports to understand the art of it. And I don't mean pickup basketball with rich white boy stoners from Grants Pass. ;)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6859 on: June 10, 2015, 04:15:59 AM »

Selam

Will you put aside your stereotypes and actually ask me what my position is? I've never professed myself to be a LeBronist. I've never proclaimed that he's greater than Jordan. On the contrary, I've only ever defended him against unfair comparisons that make him to be inferior to Jordan.

You do that with Michael Jordan. You minimize the talent he had around him to magnify his achievements. MJ was indeed one of the greatest basketball players ever, but the Bulls almost won the Eastern Conference title while he was trying his hand at minor league baseball.

I'm not a LeBron zealot, so quit lumping me together with those "LeBron zealots" you so despise. I am speaking merely my own individual opinions. Remember that it's your zealotry for Michael Jordan that prompted you to take the initiative to compare LeBron unfavorably against Jordan even though no one else here ever attacked Jordan first.

Good grief.

It seems that you're the one getting your "skivvies all in a wad" over this. My first post after the game was nothing but praise for Lebron and the Cavs. And yet you still found a way to argue with me.
No, I was just joking with you. Did you miss the smiley I included in my post so you would see that?

I love the trash talk, but you don't know when to let it go.
No, Gebre, YOU don't know when to let it go. You show that when you can't even see when I'm trash talking you, even when I make the effort to show you that I'm just trash talking.

Again, you'd have to have actually played sports to understand the art of it.
I have played organized, school sponsored team sports. Have you?

And I don't mean pickup basketball with rich white boy stoners from Grants Pass. ;)
What kind of a low blow is that? ???
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:18:56 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6860 on: June 10, 2015, 05:22:28 AM »

Selam

Good grief.

It seems that you're the one getting your "skivvies all in a wad" over this. My first post after the game was nothing but praise for Lebron and the Cavs. And yet you still found a way to argue with me.
No, I was just joking with you. Did you miss the smiley I included in my post so you would see that?

I love the trash talk, but you don't know when to let it go.
No, Gebre, YOU don't know when to let it go. You show that when you can't even see when I'm trash talking you, even when I make the effort to show you that I'm just trash talking.

Again, you'd have to have actually played sports to understand the art of it.
I have played organized, school sponsored team sports. Have you?

And I don't mean pickup basketball with rich white boy stoners from Grants Pass. ;)
What kind of a low blow is that? ???

Yes, I played football and basketball in high school, and basketball in college. And I'm just engaging in the same good natured trash talking that you are, which is what I thought was understood between us when we're discussing sports. I apologize if I offended you.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #6861 on: June 12, 2015, 02:56:40 AM »
Steve Kerr answered the bell. Brilliant coaching adjustments that led to the Warriors dominating game 4.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6862 on: June 12, 2015, 02:59:50 AM »
Steve Kerr answered the bell. Brilliant coaching adjustments that led to the Warriors dominating game 4.
Yeah, I'll give him that. What better way to blow out a team that's gassed then to make them chase you.

I loved Bogut's response after the game when he was asked about LeBron's collision with the camera: "He flopped". YOU BONEHEAD!!! Who flops into a camera so he can split his head open?

Something else I'll give Kerr: He's a liar, a damn good funny one, though.  :laugh:

"If I tell the truth, it's the equivalent of me knocking on [Cavs coach] David Blatt's door and saying, 'Hey, this is what we're going to do.' So I lied."  - Steve Kerr on starting Andre Iguodala after saying the Warriors planned no starting lineup changes
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:25:30 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6863 on: June 12, 2015, 03:36:31 AM »
Yeah, I'll give him that. What better way to blow out a team that's gassed then to make them chase you.

I loved Bogut's response after the game when he was asked about LeBron's collision with the camera: "He flopped". YOU BONEHEAD!!! Who flops into a camera so he can split his head open?

Something else I'll give Kerr: He's a liar, a damn good funny one, though.  :laugh:

"If I tell the truth, it's the equivalent of me knocking on [Cavs coach] David Blatt's door and saying, 'Hey, this is what we're going to do.' So I lied."  - Steve Kerr on starting Andre Iguodala after saying the Warriors planned no starting lineup changes

I think it was a typical Lebron flop, and one if his most dramatic efforts yet. I give him a 10 for style points.

Steve Kerr did something quite unorthodox but quite brilliant. He decided before the game to concede the rebounding battle in order dictate the pace of the game. He said he was willing to sacrifice rebounds in order to keep the pace in Golden State's favor. That was a very unconventional thought process that worked exactly as he planned. Great coaching on his part.

Selam

Oy, why do I keep doing that? Once again I hit 'Modify' instead of 'Quote'.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:47:44 AM by PeterTheAleut »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6864 on: June 12, 2015, 03:49:11 AM »

I think it was a typical Lebron flop,
Again, who flops into a camera man to split his head open?

and one if his most dramatic efforts yet. I give him a 10 for style points.

Steve Kerr did something quite unorthodox but quite brilliant. He decided before the game to concede the rebounding battle in order dictate the pace of the game. He said he was willing to sacrifice rebounds in order to keep the pace in Golden State's favor. That was a very unconventional thought process that worked exactly as he planned. Great coaching on his part.
One of the reasons it worked so well is that the Cavs just didn't have enough energy to keep up with the Warriors' pace. Kudos to Coach Kerr for recognizing that.

• Merarches
« Reply #6865 on: June 12, 2015, 04:23:55 AM »

One of the reasons it worked so well is that the Cavs just didn't have enough energy to keep up with the Warriors' pace. Kudos to Coach Kerr for recognizing that.

Obviously Lebron didn't mean to intentionally cut his head open, but I think he did grossly exaggerate the foul. I think he was trying to get the refs to call a flagrant, but fortunately they didn't fall for it. All Lebron got for his shenanigans was a lacerated skull.

Now, let me make another critique of Lebron. I notice that he frequently gets exhausted late in close games. He was out of gas in OT of game one. That's why he tends to rely on outside shots rather than driving to the basket late in the 4th quarter. He's a naturally gifted physical athlete, no doubt about that. In fact, I think he's easily the most naturally gifted athlete to ever play the game. Which is why it's so disappointing that he's not in better shape. Sure, he plays tons of minutes, but he's got to be prepared for that. If you're the best player in the game, fatigue should simply never be an excuse. You never saw Jordan wilting late in games because he was tired. Another big difference between the two.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6866 on: June 12, 2015, 12:10:20 PM »

Obviously Lebron didn't mean to intentionally cut his head open, but I think he did grossly exaggerate the foul. I think he was trying to get the refs to call a flagrant, but fortunately they didn't fall for it. All Lebron got for his shenanigans was a lacerated skull.

Now, let me make another critique of Lebron. I notice that he frequently gets exhausted late in close games. He was out of gas in OT of game one. That's why he tends to rely on outside shots rather than driving to the basket late in the 4th quarter. He's a naturally gifted physical athlete, no doubt about that. In fact, I think he's easily the most naturally gifted athlete to ever play the game. Which is why it's so disappointing that he's not in better shape. Sure, he plays tons of minutes, but he's got to be prepared for that. If you're the best player in the game, fatigue should simply never be an excuse. You never saw Jordan wilting late in games because he was tired. Another big difference between the two.
Yet another unfair comparison between LeBron and Jordan that shows little understanding of how either plays/played the game. You want LeBron to carry his team on his back and win this title all by himself because "Jordan did". Well, my friend, Jordan never won a title without help from some good teammates.

You want LeBron to be like Mike. Why can't you just let LeBron be like LeBron?

In the end, who really cares about these things but you?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:14:02 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6867 on: June 12, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »
If MJ was in the NBA today, he would win the Championship with just him and Luc Longley on the team. Just sayin'
God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6868 on: June 12, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
If MJ was in the NBA today, he would win the Championship with just him and Luc Longley on the team. Just sayin'
Remember Chuck Daley's Jordan Rules?

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6869 on: June 12, 2015, 04:03:37 PM »

Are you suggesting that Luc Longley is comparable to or even better than Pippen and Rodman?  Those guys are why MJ won championships. The trifecta.

Luc Longley is 46 years old. Despite being 7'2", I really don't think even his height advantage would be able to stop these younger faster guys.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6870 on: June 12, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »

Are you suggesting that Luc Longley is comparable to or even better than Pippen and Rodman?  Those guys are why MJ won championships. The trifecta.
Yup. I always like to point out that Michael Jordan never even made it to the Conference Finals without Pippen, but Pippen made it to the Conference Finals twice without Jordan (Eastern in 1994 with the Bulls and Western in 2000 with the Portland Trail Blazers) .
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:40:17 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6871 on: June 12, 2015, 04:48:44 PM »

Luc Longley is 46 years old. Despite being 7'2", I really don't think even his height advantage would be able to stop these younger faster guys.
I was facetiously saying that MJ could beat all the teams singlehandedly as long as he had a tall dude to stand there and pull down rebounds for him.
God bless!

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6872 on: June 12, 2015, 05:06:28 PM »
^Sorry, hard to tell at times.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6873 on: June 12, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »
I know. I really need to increase my emoticon usage to help with such things.  ;D
God bless!

• Merarches
« Reply #6874 on: June 13, 2015, 02:20:35 AM »
I have a news flash: nobody has ever won an NBA championship by themselves. So let's not act like Jordan had a ton of help while Lebron is out there playing by himself. Jordan never had a center as good as Mosgov.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6876 on: June 14, 2015, 10:55:06 PM »
A triple-double with 40 points, 14 rebounds, and 11 assists... 16 of his team's 24 points in the 4th quarter... Yet this superhuman effort from LeBron isn't enough to keep the Warriors from pulling away in the 4th. Stephen Curry 37 points and 7 for 13 from outside the 3-point line.

GS 104, Cleveland 91

Warriors lead series 3-2.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:56:01 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #6877 on: June 14, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
A triple-double with 40 points, 14 rebounds, and 11 assists... 16 of his team's 24 points in the 4th quarter... Yet this superhuman effort from LeBron isn't enough to keep the Warriors from pulling away in the 4th. Stephen Curry 37 points and 7 for 13 from behind the 3-point line.

GS 104, Cleveland 91

The more James dominates the entire game, but loses, makes him even more impressive in my eyes.

40/91 points from a SINGLE PLAYER, and not enough to win.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6878 on: June 14, 2015, 11:00:50 PM »
A triple-double with 40 points, 14 rebounds, and 11 assists... 16 of his team's 24 points in the 4th quarter... Yet this superhuman effort from LeBron isn't enough to keep the Warriors from pulling away in the 4th. Stephen Curry 37 points and 7 for 13 from behind the 3-point line.

GS 104, Cleveland 91

The more James dominates the entire game, but loses, makes him even more impressive in my eyes.

40/91 points from a SINGLE PLAYER, and not enough to win.
And when you figure that every one of his 11 assists led to an average of about 2 1/2 points per assist (roughly 28 points total), that adds up to about 68 points out of his team's 91 that LeBron either scored or facilitated.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:04:55 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #6879 on: June 14, 2015, 11:20:46 PM »
I wanted Cavs to win so bad this series, to shut up all haters once and for all. Guess I won't be able to see that.

Seriously Jordan stans, let it go already. Sheesh. The insecurities from Jordan and Kobe stans a like are difficult to bear.

And Golden State is overrated as far a I'm concerned. Curry really isn't that impressive. Klove and Kyrie healthy, this wouldn't even be a series.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:21:45 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6880 on: June 15, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »
I wanted Cavs to win so bad this series, to shut up all haters once and for all. Guess I won't be able to see that.

Seriously Jordan stans, let it go already. Sheesh. The insecurities from Jordan and Kobe stans a like are difficult to bear.
Yes, they are. Yes, they are.

And Golden State is overrated as far a I'm concerned. Curry really isn't that impressive. Klove and Kyrie healthy, this wouldn't even be a series.
Looking at how Cleveland did much better than most expected without those two, I think you may be right.

• Merarches
« Reply #6881 on: June 15, 2015, 12:39:34 AM »
Cavs lose and in the post game press conference Lebron brags about being the best player in the world. Every time I begin to like him he does or says something to make me lose respect for him. The dude's just happy to have the media gush over how great he is, and in case they forget he's quick to remind them. Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and Golden State are going to work. Keep hating on Steph Curry and watch him hoist the trophy when it's all said and done. And Lebron will lose the series and be satisfied that the media has anointed him greater than Jordan, Magic, Oscar Roberston, and Wilt Chamberlain combined.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6882 on: June 15, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
Cavs lose and in the post game press conference Lebron brags about being the best player in the world. Every time I begin to like him he does or says something to make me lose respect for him.
You never respected him, anyway. How can he lose something he never had?

The dude's just happy to have the media gush over how great he is, and in case they forget he's quick to remind them.
And you jumped my case for presuming to know Michael Jordan's heart. And you jumped my case for "attacking MJ personally". How are you not doing with the above exactly what you scolded me for?

Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and Golden State are going to work. Keep hating on Steph Curry and watch him hoist the trophy when it's all said and done.
No one is hating on Steph Curry. You're hating on LeBron, though.

And Lebron will lose the series and be satisfied that the media has anointed him greater than Jordan, Magic, Oscar Roberston, and Wilt Chamberlain combined.
Except that the media still believe Jordan the better player.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:09:47 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6883 on: June 15, 2015, 01:59:49 AM »
Cavs lose and in the post game press conference Lebron brags about being the best player in the world. Every time I begin to like him he does or says something to make me lose respect for him.

Wrong. I've always respected his incredible talent and I've praised it numerous times.

The dude's just happy to have the media gush over how great he is, and in case they forget he's quick to remind them.
And you jumped my case for presuming to know Michael Jordan's heart. And you jumped my case for "attacking MJ personally". How are you not doing with the above exactly what you scolded me for?

I'm not making anything up here. He flat out bragged that he was the greatest player in the world after the loss tonight.

Meanwhile, Stephen Curry and Golden State are going to work. Keep hating on Steph Curry and watch him hoist the trophy when it's all said and done.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The same tired accusations of "hate" from the Lebronists whenever anyone dares to criticize him.

And Lebron will lose the series and be satisfied that the media has anointed him greater than Jordan, Magic, Oscar Roberston, and Wilt Chamberlain combined.

I don't see that at all. I see the media desperate for Lebron to surpass Jordan. It gives them something to write and talk about.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6884 on: June 15, 2015, 02:18:30 AM »

Wrong. I've always respected his incredible talent and I've praised it numerous times.
But you have never respected him. You praise his talent with one side of your mouth while you tear him down with the other.

I'm not making anything up here. He flat out bragged that he was the greatest player in the world after the loss tonight.
What you are making up here is that he's happy to have the media gush over how great he is. That's a personal judgment of his character nothing less than that of which you accused me when I spoke of Jordan not being the perfect team player you made him out to be.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The same tired accusations of "hate" from the Lebronists whenever anyone dares to criticize him.
Will you stop associating me with those "Lebronists" you so hate!!? I'm speaking my own personal opinions, not some party talking points. You defend Steph Curry against those haters you imagine in your own mind, yet you cannot see just how much you're hating on LeBron.

I don't see that at all. I see the media desperate for Lebron to surpass Jordan. It gives them something to write and talk about.
Your blindness to what the media heads are really saying only reveals how insecure you are about Jordan's legacy. I have not heard one person in the media express any desperation for LeBron to surpass Jordan. And even in the hypothetical case that they are, why should that cause you so much consternation?

Gebre, the one thing I can see in this conversation is how right nothing is: the insecurities from Jordan fans like you are difficult to bear.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:30:06 AM by PeterTheAleut »