Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1464279 times)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #6795 on: May 16, 2015, 03:43:57 AM »
Stephen Curry can make the most amazing shots look routine, but even this is ridiculous! A 62-foot bomb from beyond the 3-point line on THE OTHER END OF THE COURT to beat the third quarter buzzer, and IT HITS NOTHING BUT THE INSIDE OF THE NET!!! :o :o :o

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12896352

Gotta feel for Paul Pierce, though. :'( Buzzer beating 3 to tie the game and force OT waved off for being a split-second too late, and his Wizards get knocked out of the playoffs. This after his "game winning" shot in Game 5 was answered by Atlanta's game winning offensive rebound and put-back.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:50:04 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6796 on: May 16, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »
AHHH Paul Pierce. Ill give him credit, he doesnt suck. But its amazing how much this town hates him now. (Most people already didnt care much for him...)

Pierce had a buzzer beater in game 3 to win it for the Wizards. Then, what we all thought was a game winning shot in game 5 was rectified by a put back at the last second by Hortford, just a few short seconds after Pierce was done showing his rear end by yelling "Series!!! Series!!!" at the Hawks bench and fans. Last night in game six, we saw yet another display of justifiable arrogance right after a supposed game-tying three pointer, only to be overturned shortly after.

This picture says it all.

Im ecstatic right now, only because this isnt what we expect in Atlanta. As soon as he hit that shot last night, the bar I was at went silent. Atlanta had just "Atlanta-ed" yet again. We're all used to it here, and we kinda expect it.

BUT NO!!! SOMETHING WENT OUR WAY!!!! THE SHOT WAS TOO LATE!!!! Everyone in the pub went insane after that.

We arent done yet. Who knows how much more we have left in the tank. But when good things happen, we might as well enjoy it. We know better than to get used to it though!
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6797 on: May 16, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
Stephen Curry can make the most amazing shots look routine, but even this is ridiculous! A 62-foot bomb from beyond the 3-point line on THE OTHER END OF THE COURT to beat the third quarter buzzer, and IT HITS NOTHING BUT THE INSIDE OF THE NET!!! :o :o :o

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12896352

Gotta feel for Paul Pierce, though. :'( Buzzer beating 3 to tie the game and force OT waved off for being a split-second too late, and his Wizards get knocked out of the playoffs. This after his "game winning" shot in Game 5 was answered by Atlanta's game winning offensive rebound and put-back.

Wrong again! Paul Pierce is the victorious avatar of Shklorg!
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6798 on: May 18, 2015, 01:08:08 AM »
Los Angeles: Home of the Chokers and the Fakers.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6799 on: May 20, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
Meanwhile in the NFL, a point after touchdown kick will now be snapped from the 15, and a point after touchdown attempt (either a blocked kick or turnover on a 2-point conversion) can be returned by the defense for 2 points.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6800 on: May 20, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
TURN UP FOR THE HAWKS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!

HAWKS HAWKS HAWKS HAWKS!!!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6801 on: May 20, 2015, 05:19:36 PM »
Wythenshawe Town, who play in one of the lower tiers in English soccer, recorded a perfect 39-0 season. Way to go. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6802 on: May 22, 2015, 07:26:10 AM »
That means that they're going up a level. Good on them! Hopefully they eventually reach the Premier League.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6803 on: June 05, 2015, 03:56:23 AM »
GOLDEN STATE wins game one in OT!

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400796845

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6804 on: June 05, 2015, 05:02:25 AM »

Selam
Yup. The Warriors won tonight by being the deeper team. Their bench brought them back into the game in the 2nd Quarter, and their starters obviously had more energy than Cleveland's starters in OT. It doesn't help Cleveland that Kyrie Irving re-aggravated his knee injury. This game only proved that LeBron can put up one of his superhuman efforts and it still not be enough for the Cavs to overcome Golden State. LeBron is this generation's greatest player, but I don't see him winning 4 of the next 6 games all by himself. He needs the help of his teammates. (At least Kevin Love announced that he will not opt out of his contract. He will play for Cleveland again next year.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:04:46 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6805 on: June 05, 2015, 05:51:52 AM »

Selam
Yup. The Warriors won tonight by being the deeper team. Their bench brought them back into the game in the 2nd Quarter, and their starters obviously had more energy than Cleveland's starters in OT. It doesn't help Cleveland that Kyrie Irving re-aggravated his knee injury. This game only proved that LeBron can put up one of his superhuman efforts and it still not be enough for the Cavs to overcome Golden State. LeBron is this generation's greatest player, but I don't see him winning 4 of the next 6 games all by himself. He needs the help of his teammates. (At least Kevin Love announced that he will not opt out of his contract. He will play for Cleveland again next year.)

Hate to see Irving go down. Tough blow for the Cavs. But once again Lebron proves that he's not in Jordan's company. He had 24 seconds left with the ball in a tie game and he couldn't close the deal. And then he completely disappeared in OT. He also failed to keep J.R. Smith involved when Smith was on fire early. Jordan willed his teams to win. Lebron puts up great stats put still finds ways to let his teams lose. But he can still prove me wrong. We'll see what happens. I think it will still be a six or seven game series.

BTW, I love Stephen Curry and I love Steve Kerr. They're both first class guys all the way.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6806 on: June 05, 2015, 07:33:53 AM »
I do not understand the hate on LeBron and bringing up a comparison with MJ. What else could he have done after slicing a very good defense, best in the league, and dropping 40+ points on a team of superstars on nearly 50% shooting.

He carried his team, a bunch of misfits and outcasts, through the playoffs missing Kevin Love and carrying along a 50% Kyrie. He did so by leadership and great team orientation and despite a less favourable media treatment and referee calls for him than Kobe or Jordan. The pair never won anything without a solid support cast, and are both bad teammates and bullies. Should never appeal to any Christian.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6807 on: June 05, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
I do not understand the hate on LeBron and bringing up a comparison with MJ. What else could he have done after slicing a very good defense, best in the league, and dropping 40+ points on a team of superstars on nearly 50% shooting.

He carried his team, a bunch of misfits and outcasts, through the playoffs missing Kevin Love and carrying along a 50% Kyrie. He did so by leadership and great team orientation and despite a less favourable media treatment and referee calls for him than Kobe or Jordan. The pair never won anything without a solid support cast, and are both bad teammates and bullies. Should never appeal to any Christian.
+1

The thing Gebre can never seem to grasp in his idolatry of Michael Jordan is that Jordan would not have won a single one of his six NBA titles without Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman, John Paxson, and Steve Kerr. That LeBron was able to almost single-handedly bring his Cavaliers to the verge of beating one of the best teams in many years with a shot at the buzzer is a testament to his greatness. He willed his team to win, but he could only do so much without Kevin Love and with a beaten up Kyrie Irving.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6808 on: June 05, 2015, 12:35:27 PM »

Selam

Hate to see Irving go down. Tough blow for the Cavs. But once again Lebron proves that he's not in Jordan's company. He had 24 seconds left with the ball in a tie game and he couldn't close the deal. And then he completely disappeared in OT. He also failed to keep J.R. Smith involved when Smith was on fire early. Jordan willed his teams to win.
Okay, then, if Jordan willed teams to win, why couldn't he will his team past the Celtics and Pistons until 1991? In the 1987 Boston series, Jordan scored 63 points in one game, yet his Bulls still got swept. And his Bulls didn't beat the Pistons until after the Pistons had eliminated them in three straight years!

Lebron puts up great stats put still finds ways to let his teams lose.
So did Jordan.

But he can still prove me wrong.
I think I've already proven you wrong about Jordan. ;)

We'll see what happens. I think it will still be a six or seven game series.

BTW, I love Stephen Curry and I love Steve Kerr. They're both first class guys all the way.
Yup. I agree with that.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6809 on: June 05, 2015, 07:03:21 PM »
More terrible news for the Cavaliers... Kyrie Irving now out for 3-4 months with a broken left knee cap. :(

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/06/05/wire-irving-fractured-knee-cap.ap/index.html

• Merarches
« Reply #6810 on: June 05, 2015, 08:35:44 PM »

I don't hate Lebron at all. He seems like a nice guy. And I certainly don't think he's surrounded by a bunch of misfits and outcasts. He's got as much talent around him as Jordan did. And in Miami, he had much more talent around him than Jordan did. Yeah, Pippen was a great player, but Jordan helped make Pippen the player he was. But unlike Jordan, Lebron doesn't seem to know how to make his teammates better. Ask those who won championships with Jordan if he was a bad teammate. And if you want to bring Christianity into it, then I don't think betraying two cities that you profess loyalty to is very Christian. I lost respect for Lebron when he bailed on Cleveland, and then I lost more respect for him when he bailed on Miami after promising to win 7 NBA titles there. I guess if he doesn't win the title this year, he'll try to find a way to go to Golden State.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #6811 on: June 05, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »

+1

The thing Gebre can never seem to grasp in his idolatry of Michael Jordan is that Jordan would not have won a single one of his six NBA titles without Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman, John Paxson, and Steve Kerr. That LeBron was able to almost single-handedly bring his Cavaliers to the verge of beating one of the best teams in many years with a shot at the buzzer is a testament to his greatness. He willed his team to win, but he could only do so much without Kevin Love and with a beaten up Kyrie Irving.

You Lebron idolaters will never tire of making excuses for him.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6812 on: June 05, 2015, 09:19:44 PM »

+1

LeBron defenders. We don't idolize LeBron the way you do Jordan. You are the one who feels that Jordan's legacy as the GOAT is under attack. You are the one who feels the need to defend Jordan by praising him more than he deserves to be praised. You are the one who feels the need to tear LeBron down in order to make him look inferior to Jordan. I don't compare LeBron to Jordan. I don't feel the need to do so. I recognize that they're both great players, each in his own way. I just feel the need to defend LeBron against your unfair criticisms.

Do remember also that you were the one who started this by disparaging what LeBron did last night. There was absolutely no need for you to do that, especially since no one said anything about either Jordan or LeBron. You only showed how defensive you are of Jordan's legacy.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:20:16 PM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6813 on: June 05, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »

+1

LeBron defenders. We don't idolize LeBron the way you do Jordan. You are the one who feels that Jordan's legacy as the GOAT is under attack. You are the one who feels the need to defend Jordan by praising him more than he deserves to be praised. You are the one who feels the need to tear LeBron down in order to make him look inferior to Jordan. I don't compare LeBron to Jordan. I don't feel the need to do so. I recognize that they're both great players, each in his own way. I just feel the need to defend LeBron against your unfair criticisms.

Do remember also that you were the one who started this by disparaging what LeBron did last night. There was absolutely no need for you to do that, especially since no one said anything about either Jordan or LeBron. You only showed how defensive you are of Jordan's legacy.

LOL! I'm not afraid to criticize Jordan. You, on the other hand, refuse to criticize Lebron. That's the problem with you Lebron worshippers. Anytime someone makes a legitimate criticism, you all start calling us "haters" and accuse us of "disparaging" him, etc. I didn't disparage Lebron, I simply pointed out that he failed to close the deal in regulation, and then disappeared in OT. And BTW, Jordan doesn't need me to defend his legacy. His legacy is just fine.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6814 on: June 05, 2015, 09:32:19 PM »

I don't hate Lebron at all. He seems like a nice guy. And I certainly don't think he's surrounded by a bunch of misfits and outcasts. He's got as much talent around him as Jordan did. And in Miami, he had much more talent around him than Jordan did. Yeah, Pippen was a great player, but Jordan helped make Pippen the player he was.
And Pippen helped Jordan become the player he was. It works both ways.

But unlike Jordan, Lebron doesn't seem to know how to make his teammates better.
That is about the most unfair assessment I've ever seen of LeBron. LeBron involves his teammates more than Jordan ever did, as can be seen from his assist numbers alone. LeBron's leadership both on the court and in the locker room has been praised this year in ways the it was never praised before. When he left for Miami, he did so with a lot of fanfare that indicated that he left for selfish reasons. When he returned to Cleveland, he did so with a lot more humility and with the determination to build a team that would win a title for Cleveland. The word about him this year is that he has been all about the team.

Ask those who won championships with Jordan if he was a bad teammate.
After he picked fights with Horace Grant and Steve Kerr?

And if you want to bring Christianity into it, then I don't think betraying two cities that you profess loyalty to is very Christian.
Has LeBron ever professed to being a Christian? If not, then don't hold him to the same standard to which others here just held you.

I lost respect for Lebron when he bailed on Cleveland, and then I lost more respect for him when he bailed on Miami after promising to win 7 NBA titles there. I guess if he doesn't win the title this year, he'll try to find a way to go to Golden State.
LeBron gained my respect by returning to Cleveland when he could have gone anywhere he wanted. The man returned to a city that hated him and to an owner who wasted no time eviscorating him in the most vicious ways possible when he left for Miami. Think about how much courage that took.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #6815 on: June 05, 2015, 09:34:53 PM »
eviscorating

Should that be eviscerating or excoriating?
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6816 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »

+1

LOL! I'm not afraid to criticize Jordan. You, on the other hand, refuse to criticize Lebron.
Why should I criticize him? The context you just set doesn't call for that. If you were to give a much more glowing analysis of LeBron's game, then I might be inclined to give a more honest and critical evaluation of him. But you're not giving a glowing analysis. Rather, you're seeking to tear down a man because he's a threat to your idol. Why, then, are you surprised that others have chosen to stand up in his defense?

That's the problem with you Lebron worshippers. Anytime someone makes a legitimate criticism, you all start calling us "haters" and accuse us of "disparaging" him, etc. I didn't disparage Lebron, I simply pointed out that he failed to close the deal in regulation, and then disappeared in OT.
Yes, you disparaged him. There are other ways to analyze what happened last night, but you chose to present an analysis that "proves" your case that LeBron is not yet in Jordan's company. Who really cares?

And BTW, Jordan doesn't need me to defend his legacy. His legacy is just fine.
Then why are you putting him on such a high pedestal?

Do note one thing, Gebre: No one here criticized Michael Jordan until after you had first criticized LeBron James.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:14:01 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6817 on: June 05, 2015, 09:41:45 PM »
eviscorating

Should that be eviscerating or excoriating?
eviscerate, but excoriate works just as well.

Thanks for the correction.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6818 on: June 06, 2015, 02:22:58 AM »
Here's an eye-opener for you. Who has the higher shooting percentage on potential go-ahead shots attempted within the final 5 seconds of regulation or overtime of an NBA playoff game: Michael Jordan or LeBron James? The answer...

LeBron James... Including last night, LeBron and MJ attempted the same number of such last-five-seconds shots in the playoffs: 11. LeBron connected on 6 of his attempts, Jordan on only 5 of his.

Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/5/11/8584749/lebron-james-michael-jordan-game-winning-shots (Disclaimer: This article was written after LeBron's buzzer beater downed the Bulls in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference semifinal, so it doesn't account for LeBron's miss at the end of regulation in Game 1 of the NBA Finals.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:49:15 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6819 on: June 06, 2015, 03:29:35 AM »

I don't hate Lebron at all. He seems like a nice guy. And I certainly don't think he's surrounded by a bunch of misfits and outcasts. He's got as much talent around him as Jordan did. And in Miami, he had much more talent around him than Jordan did. Yeah, Pippen was a great player, but Jordan helped make Pippen the player he was.

Agreed.

But unlike Jordan, Lebron doesn't seem to know how to make his teammates better.
That is about the most unfair assessment I've ever seen of LeBron. LeBron involves his teammates more than Jordan ever did, as can be seen from his assist numbers alone. LeBron's leadership both on the court and in the locker room has been praised this year in ways the it was never praised before. When he left for Miami, he did so with a lot of fanfare that indicated that he left for selfish reasons. When he returned to Cleveland, he did so with a lot more humility and with the determination to build a team that would win a title for Cleveland. The word about him this year is that he has been all about the team.

Your consistent problem in this debate has always been that you confuse being a nice guy with making teammates better. I will agree with you 100% that Lebron is probably a much nicer guy than Jordan in many ways. I'm sure he's much less demanding and much easier to get along with in the locker room. But that has nothing to do with whether or not he actually makes his teammates better basketball players. And Lebron's statistics actually prove my point. Yes, he gets his teammates "involved," as his stats show. But his teammates never seem to actually become better players because of his influence. One of the intriguing things about sports is that stats often belie the real story. But you'd have to have actually played sports to know that. Which is why so many sports writers are full of BS. They are watching from their ivory tower without ever knowing what it's like to actually play the game.

Well, let's ask Jordan's teammates what they think. I can only speculate, but I'm betting that 95% of them would have never wanted to trade Jordan for anyone else. You see, a true competitor just wants to win. They'll put up with a lot of crap as long as they know that those they step on the field or court with are gonna give it 100%. But again, you'd have to have played sports to understand that.

And if you want to bring Christianity into it, then I don't think betraying two cities that you profess loyalty to is very Christian.
Has LeBron ever professed to being a Christian? If not, then don't hold him to the same standard to which others here just held you.

Stavro brought Christianity into it, not me.

I lost respect for Lebron when he bailed on Cleveland, and then I lost more respect for him when he bailed on Miami after promising to win 7 NBA titles there. I guess if he doesn't win the title this year, he'll try to find a way to go to Golden State.
LeBron gained my respect by returning to Cleveland when he could have gone anywhere he wanted. The man returned to a city that hated him and to an owner who wasted no time eviscorating him in the most vicious ways possible when he left for Miami. Think about how much courage that took.

There are those who will always be desperate enough to be grateful that an unfaithful lover returned to their arms.

Selam

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:30:00 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #6820 on: June 06, 2015, 03:31:37 AM »
OK, can somebody PLEASE explain to me once and for all how to do the "quote" thing where I can respond to each particular point? I still have no idea how to do it, as evidenced in the previous post.  :P

PTA, can you tell me how?

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6821 on: June 06, 2015, 04:08:51 AM »

Agreed.

Your consistent problem in this debate has always been that you confuse being a nice guy with making teammates better.
I've never said anything to imply that. LeBron makes his teammates better by creating open shots for them and passing the ball so they can hit the open shots. It has nothing to do with him being a "nice guy".

LeBron makes his teammates better by sharing with them what it takes to win a championship. He never would have learned that if he hadn't played four years in Miami.

I will agree with you 100% that Lebron is probably a much nicer guy than Jordan in many ways. I'm sure he's much less demanding and much easier to get along with in the locker room. But that has nothing to do with whether or not he actually makes his teammates better basketball players.
No, it doesn't. Trusting his teammates to make shots makes his teammates better.

And Lebron's statistics actually prove my point.
What stats do you have that prove your point? I don't see any.

Yes, he gets his teammates "involved," as his stats show. But his teammates never seem to actually become better players because of his influence.
I don't know what you're looking at, then.

One of the intriguing things about sports is that stats often belie the real story. But you'd have to have actually played sports to know that. Which is why so many sports writers are full of BS. They are watching from their ivory tower without ever knowing what it's like to actually play the game.
OK, now you're meandering. Do try to stay on point.

Well, let's ask Jordan's teammates what they think. I can only speculate, but I'm betting that 95% of them would have never wanted to trade Jordan for anyone else.
Of course not! I'd be willing to bet, though, that 98% of those who ever played with LeBron never wanted to trade him for anyone else.

You see, a true competitor just wants to win. They'll put up with a lot of crap as long as they know that those they step on the field or court with are gonna give it 100%. But again, you'd have to have played sports to understand that.
Have you ever played sports? I have.

Stavro brought Christianity into it, not me.
But you answered him.

There are those who will always be desperate enough to be grateful that an unfaithful lover returned to their arms.
And there are always those who will welcome the Prodigal Son when he returns home.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:11:12 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6822 on: June 06, 2015, 04:33:44 AM »

I will agree with you 100% that Lebron is probably a much nicer guy than Jordan in many ways. I'm sure he's much less demanding and much easier to get along with in the locker room. But that has nothing to do with whether or not he actually makes his teammates better basketball players.
No, it doesn't. Trusting his teammates to make shots makes his teammates better.

Which is one of the significant differences between Lebron and Jordan. Whereas Lebron focuses on stats, Jordan actually trusted his teammates to make shots. J.R. Smith came out on fire in game one, but Lebron didn't trust him enough to keep getting him the ball. Jordan wanted win, and he would feed the hot hand, whoever it was.

Selam

My apologies. I messed up your post because I accidentally clicked "Modify" when I wanted to click "Quote". I hope I fixed it.  -PtA
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:39:15 PM by PeterTheAleut »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #6823 on: June 06, 2015, 04:42:22 AM »
On a different topic...

So there's a new book out now with more mudslinging, arrows, and stones thrown at Allen Iverson. (Well, to be fair, I haven't read all of it yet. So I'll give a further assessment when I'm finished.)
http://www.amazon.com/Not-Game-Incredible-Unthinkable-Iverson/dp/1476737657
Some people seem to get a perverse thrill out of kicking people when they're down. Iverson has made his share of mistakes in life, but then again, who hasn’t? His mistakes certainly aren’t any worse than my own. But Iverson always gave 100% when it was game time, and he was an absolute warrior on the court. And he also clearly has a big heart. He has suffered tremendous injustices, adversities, and losses in his life, and all he wants is a little loyalty, a little forgiveness, and some unconditional love and support. Hell, I can relate to that! So stay strong A.I.! Some of us still love and appreciate you - not only for what you did on the court - but also for who you are as a person. In your successes and in your failures, you have always been real. And that’s a rare thing in this superficial world.

Selam
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:45:09 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6824 on: June 06, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
OK, can somebody PLEASE explain to me once and for all how to do the "quote" thing where I can respond to each particular point? I still have no idea how to do it, as evidenced in the previous post.  :P

PTA, can you tell me how?

Selam

Fwiw I just divide it up manually when I want certain things separated, inserting QUOTE tags here and there as needed...  :angel:
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6825 on: June 06, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »

Which is one of the significant differences between Lebron and Jordan. Whereas Lebron focuses on stats,
Where do you get that piece of fiction? FWIW, Jordan was VERY focused on stats.

Jordan actually trusted his teammates to make shots.
Only after he bought into the principles of Phil Jackson's Triangle Offense.

J.R. Smith came out on fire in game one, but Lebron didn't trust him enough to keep getting him the ball.
You're too focused on Game One. What of the times earlier in this postseason when J.R. Smith had the hot hand and LeBron kept feeding him?

Jordan wanted win,
Jordan wanted to be "the man" and win. He wanted to be the most important player on a winning team. He wanted to be the reason his teams won. He didn't care about winning in and of itself.

and he would feed the hot hand, whoever it was.
I think you're revising history here, for Jordan was not known for feeding any hot hand but his own. Maybe later in his career he learned to share the load, but early in his career he had the reputation, much like Kobe, of being a black hole--feed him the ball, and you'll never see it again.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:05:04 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6826 on: June 06, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
On a different topic...

So there's a new book out now with more mudslinging, arrows, and stones thrown at Allen Iverson. (Well, to be fair, I haven't read all of it yet. So I'll give a further assessment when I'm finished.)
So why are you judging the book and its author(s) before you've even read it?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6827 on: June 06, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »
American Pharoah just became the first horse in 37 years to win the Triple Crown!

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/13025872/american-pharoah-wins-belmont-stakes-claims-triple-crown

• Merarches
« Reply #6828 on: June 06, 2015, 07:51:18 PM »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #6829 on: June 06, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »
On a different topic...

Because from the beginning of the book the author makes unsubstantiated accusations, such as claiming that Iverson was drunk during his infamous "practice" rant.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #6830 on: June 06, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »

Which is one of the significant differences between Lebron and Jordan. Whereas Lebron focuses on stats,

J.R. Smith came out on fire in game one, but Lebron didn't trust him enough to keep getting him the ball.
You're too focused on Game One. What of the times earlier in this postseason when J.R. Smith had the hot hand and LeBron kept feeding him?

Jordan wanted win,
Jordan wanted to be "the man" and win. He wanted to be the most important player on a winning team. He wanted to be the reason his teams won. He didn't care about winning in and of itself.

I think you're revising history here, for Jordan was not known for feeding any hot hand but his own. Maybe later in his career he learned to share the load, but early in his career he had the reputation, much like Kobe, of being a black hole--feed him the ball, and you'll never see it again.

Since you presume to judge Michael Jordan's heart, there's no way to have a reasonable discussion with you. You repeatedly attack Jordan personally, something that I have never done when critiquing Lebron. You obviously don't like Jordan, and that's fine. But your personal animus towards him severely clouds your objectivity in this debate.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6831 on: June 06, 2015, 08:24:01 PM »
American Pharaoh won the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown today!

Edit - didn't see the other post. Double yay!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:24:56 PM by biro »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6832 on: June 06, 2015, 09:36:31 PM »
In my not-so-professional opinion, Michael Jordan was the best basketball player ever to play the game. I remember being completely mesmerized watching him play. Lebron, Kobe, Shaq and and company just doesn't have the same panache.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:36:45 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #6833 on: June 06, 2015, 10:41:35 PM »
Though Gebre, the only thing we can objectively judge players off of are stats.

If a player makes his teammates better, it will show in the stats(Im not the biggest basketball fan, so pardon me if i go ahead and switch words arounds). For hockey, if a player X makes player Y better, then player Y will have more goals and assists with player X than player Z, and you can see this in the stats.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #6834 on: June 06, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »
The Tampa Bay Lighting win game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final 4-3 at home to tie the Chicago Blackhawks 1-1 in the series. Game 3 is Monday at Chicago.
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6835 on: June 06, 2015, 11:21:45 PM »

Jordan wanted win,

Since you presume to judge Michael Jordan's heart,
I've not said anything here that hasn't already been said by many or that hasn't already been published in a number of reputable sources. You can search the Internet and find everything I just said.

there's no way to have a reasonable discussion with you. You repeatedly attack Jordan personally,
No, I have only criticized his play on the court.

something that I have never done when critiquing Lebron. You obviously don't like Jordan, and that's fine.
On the contrary, Gebre, I have a world of respect for what Jordan accomplished on the court. At no time has the NBA ever seen such a perfect combination of freakish athleticism, basketball smarts, and cutthroat competitiveness as it saw in Michael Jordan. MJ was the best scorer ever and, in his prime, one of the best perimeter defenders of all time. No one can deny that he was the key reason why the Chicago Bulls won 6 NBA titles in a span of only 8 years from 1991-98--that in itself is a testament to his greatness as a basketball player. But let's be realistic about his legacy. Let's not make Jordan out to be what he was not.

But your personal animus towards him severely clouds your objectivity in this debate.
I think I'm actually being quite objective in my assessment of Michael Jordan. You have shown that you will take any opportunity you can to diminish LeBron's performance on the court and praise MJ as the model against which LeBron and all others are to be compared. When you then revise history to make Jordan out to be a basketball demigod and a force of altruistic selflessness on the court, something he never was, I only have to laugh at how preposterous your idolatrous image of the man is. What makes it even funnier--or sadder, depending on how you look at it--is that you will defend your idol even when no one is criticizing him. If I had never tried to tear down your idol, your praise of him and your criticism of LeBron would still be on this thread. I only offered my less than glowing assessment of Michael Jordan's legacy because you had already taken the initiative to put him on a pedestal.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:21:58 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6836 on: June 06, 2015, 11:27:46 PM »
On a different topic...

Because from the beginning of the book the author makes unsubstantiated accusations, such as claiming that Iverson was drunk during his infamous "practice" rant.
How do you know the book doesn't substantiate those accusations if you've never read it to the end?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:28:41 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6837 on: June 07, 2015, 12:25:39 AM »
By coincidence I just a few days ago rewatched the 'practice' press conference bit. Every once in a while since then I've been recalling it in my mind and inserting a random word in place of 'practice.' I just did that with 'accusations'  8)
Facts unloading, please to wait

• Merarches
« Reply #6838 on: June 07, 2015, 03:38:45 AM »
In my not-so-professional opinion, Michael Jordan was the best basketball player ever to play the game. I remember being completely mesmerized watching him play. Lebron, Kobe, Shaq and and company just doesn't have the same panache.

+1

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #6839 on: June 07, 2015, 03:42:17 AM »
On a different topic...

How do you know the book doesn't substantiate those accusations if you've never read it to the end?

I will retract my remarks if I am wrong. But I've already heard someone who knows Iverson very well say that this is an outright lie. And Iverson himself has said that he was not drunk during that rant. The book is very interesting though, and as I said, I'll give a full assessment of it when I'm through. But I find it quite interesting that you don't defend A.I. with the same zeal that you defend your beloved Lebron.

Selam
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:44:32 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +