Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1523420 times)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #6300 on: September 07, 2014, 01:56:35 AM »
The Ducks spent the second quarter today taking the best punches Michigan State could throw at them. Afterward, they spent the whole second half showing how resilient a team they are by taking control of the game and blowing the #7 Spartans out of Autzen Stadium. #3 Oregon 46, #7 Michigan State 27. After getting beaten by smash-mouth teams the last few years, particularly Stanford, the Ducks had taken on the reputation of being a soft team. I think today's game may go a long way toward shedding that image.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #6301 on: September 07, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »
And yup, bills season has started.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #6302 on: September 07, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
The Big 10 is the weakest of the "power" conferences.  Purdue, Northwestern, Ohio St., Michigan St. and Michigan (shut out for the first time in 365 games) lost on Saturday.

I thought that Ohio St., Michigan and Penn St. would score a combined 200 pts each against newcomers Maryland and Rutgers.  Now, I'm not so sure....

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #6303 on: September 07, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
Looks like thisll be different, bills up 17-7 at the two minute warning.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6304 on: September 07, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »
Steelers sounding good so far...

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6305 on: September 07, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
So far, Ravens - anemic 36 yards of offense (Flacco is 3-12 passing) while the defense is holding firm allowing 4 Field Goals to the Bengals.

Update: The score is 15-0 Bengals at the half.  Flacco was sacked in the red zone and time ran out.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:37:55 PM by SolEX01 »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6306 on: September 07, 2014, 02:31:11 PM »
I have my choice between two NFL games and one Canadian CFL game on the teevee right now. Currently enjoying the Canadian one.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #6307 on: September 07, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »
Too bad my argos don't play this week.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6308 on: September 07, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
Steelers win, despite their best efforts to lose the game. Though it wasn't all the Steelers being bums... the Browns showed some very solid (ie. un-Browns-like) effort in the second half.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #6309 on: September 07, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »
Steelers win, despite their best efforts to lose the game. Though it wasn't all the Steelers being bums... the Browns showed some very solid (ie. un-Browns-like) effort in the second half.

Such a shame, Steelers won.

Bills won whew in in Chicago ever(6 tries)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #6310 on: September 07, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Johnny Football shoulda played.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6311 on: September 07, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
AFC North

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:18:05 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6312 on: September 07, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
That should not happen! Definitely unsportsmanlike conduct and an ejection to kick a person in the face like that.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #6313 on: September 07, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
That should not happen! Definitely unsportsmanlike conduct and an ejection to kick a person in the face like that.
I don't think he did it intentionally.  ::)
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6314 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Whoa, ouch. Gives you little cartoon birdies swirling around your head, just looking at it.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #6315 on: September 07, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »

I don't think he did it intentionally, but, he deserves to get fined/suspended for something like that. I know he didn't mean it, but in the interests of safety

Offline Gkterra

• Formerly know as findingfaith
  • ακραία αμαρτωλός
  • Jurisdiction: Not of this Earth
« Reply #6316 on: September 07, 2014, 08:36:50 PM »
Watching Tony Romo single handedly lose the game for the cowboys was the cake of my day. and watching the patriot highlights was the icing on that cake. all in all, pretty nice day  8)
Are you content with just being an intelligent hairless ape that just cannot resist the primitive urge to fling poo at people passing by,  just like a monkey in the zoo ?

Do you stay in the field and do the work that you accepted, or do you continuously run back into town and give people black eyes, or maybe push them down the stairs, because they don't do what you do ?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6317 on: September 07, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
Steelers won, I am happy.

My fantasy football team took a huge tank though.  Between Aaron Rogers and Vincent Jackson, I didn't have a chance.  >:(
God bless!

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #6318 on: September 07, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »

I don't think he did it intentionally, but, he deserves to get fined/suspended for something like that. I know he didn't mean it, but in the interests of safety

Agree with a fine/suspension.

I wasn't able to catch the Steelers game today but, yeah, (from watching the clip) that hit was soooo wrong!  Read that the guy, at the very least, suffered a broken jaw.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6319 on: September 08, 2014, 01:13:05 AM »
(TideMan's Two Cents)
THOUGHTS ON BAMA v. FLORIDA ATLANTIC:

I really want to be positive, but I also need to be honest about what I saw from our team Saturday. So here’s my two cents once again, purely from a fan’s perspective.

First of all, it seems clear to me that Andre Ware has Blake Sims at the top of his Heisman ballot. I truly respect Andre Ware and I think he's an excellent commentator, but I’m not quite ready to hand Blake Sims the Heisman just yet. And I’m also not ready to dismiss Jacob Coker as the worst QB to ever come through Tuscaloosa. So in spite of what Andre Ware says, from what I can tell there’s still a huge question regarding the quarterback position. I think both guys have great strengths and great weaknesses. My opinion is that we should plan on using both guys throughout the year, maximizing each one’s strength and allowing the team to get behind both of them equally. The one thing we don’t need is division within the team over this. If we played Florida, LSU, or Auburn tomorrow, I’d have to go with Sims as the starter. But if I had to say which QB I think will give us the best chance to win a SEC Championship, I’d have to go with Coker.  He has the arm, the size, and the athleticism. He just needs the experience to learn how to make better decisions and gain confidence. I think we’re seeing Sims at his best, but I don’t think we’ve seen Coker come close to reaching his full potential yet.

Lane Kiffin still baffles me. As much as people keep saying what a brilliant offensive coordinator he is, I just don’t see it. We’re playing Florida Atlantic, and not one pass to O.J. Howard! Not a single pass to one of our best offensive weapons! How is that possible? Also, how is it that this brilliant offensive mind hasn’t taught his quarterbacks how to call a play in the huddle? Really? He’s had all spring and summer to get this worked out. But not only do our QB’s not know how to audible at the line of scrimmage, but they don’t even know how to call a play in the huddle. And we’re supposed to believe that Lane Kiffin is an offensive genius because he dials up 13 screen passes to Amari Cooper against Florida Atlantic? OK, I know I sound harsh here, but I’m just calling it like I see it. Of course, this was only game two, and Kiffin could be holding a whole lot back. I hope that’s the case. But I still don’t know why he can’t figure out how to get O.J. Howard the ball. Good grief!

Another concern that I mentioned last week is our return game. If we can’t block Florida Atlantic on punt returns and kickoff returns, then I don’t know how we’re going to block SEC teams. We have too many great athletes on the field, and there’s no excuse for not allowing Christion Jones to gain substantial positive yardage on every return. I expected to see improvement in this area from last week to this week, but I saw none. And we were playing an inferior opponent. I hope we get this rectified, and quickly!

It’s hard to say much about our defense. We held Florida Atlantic scoreless, and they were playing with their second string QB for the entire game. So we obviously did what we needed to do by shutting them out. But when I think of offenses like Tex A&M and Auburn, then I really worry. We aren’t fundamentally sound in our tackling or our pass coverage. But we have a lot of young talent and I am confident that they will get better and better as the season progresses.

To end on a positive note, I was very impressed with the depth, skill, and raw talent we have at almost every position. Whatever happens this year, we know that we have the talent to be as good as we want to be. The key, as always, is whether these guys have the character, work ethic, and discipline to all buy in to the process and sacrifice to do whatever it takes to improve from week to week. If these talented young men are coachable and dedicated, then I foresee another SEC Championship and a possible National Championship in the next year or two. But I just don’t see it happening this year. However, Coach Saban has proven me wrong before, and so I hope he will prove me wrong again.

Either way, I’m behind our team 100%, and I’ll be saying ROLL TIDE regardless!

Selam
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:13:20 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6320 on: September 08, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »
Ray Rice just got cut by Baltimore.

Also, I just got a notice on my phone that Penn State's post season ban has been lifted. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm it yet. If so, that would be AWESOME!
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #6321 on: September 08, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »
Ray Rice just got cut by Baltimore.

Also, I just got a notice on my phone that Penn State's post season ban has been lifted. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm it yet. If so, that would be AWESOME!
And suspended until further notice.

and yup, they have been

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6322 on: September 08, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »
just saw the news articles start popping up. HOORAY!!!!
God bless!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6323 on: September 08, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
What Ray Rice did was despicable, but I'm not sure I agree with suspending him indefinitely. He has been going to counseling for it, and if every person got fired from their job every time there was domestic violence, there would be a heck of a lot of people out of jobs.  Also, suspending him is kind of punishing the person who was actually injured, his now wife. She just found out that her husband is unemployed and probably not going to be able to get back into the profession of his choice.
God bless!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6324 on: September 08, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
Regarding Ray Rice, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, e.g., what happened inside the elevator.

It's not going to be a good season for the Baltimore Ravens - On Thursday, Big Ben will drop big bombs on Baltimore as Baltimore celebrates the 200th anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6325 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:47 PM »
What Ray Rice did was despicable, but I'm not sure I agree with suspending him indefinitely. He has been going to counseling for it, and if every person got fired from their job every time there was domestic violence, there would be a heck of a lot of people out of jobs.  Also, suspending him is kind of punishing the person who was actually injured, his now wife. She just found out that her husband is unemployed and probably not going to be able to get back into the profession of his choice.

Ray Rice lied to everyone - the Ravens, the NFL, et al.  No wonder his "wife" sat at a distance at Rice's press conferences - she didn't want to be the one to end Rice's tenure with the Ravens.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6326 on: September 11, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6327 on: September 11, 2014, 01:30:17 AM »

Ray Rice lied to everyone - the Ravens, the NFL, et al.  No wonder his "wife" sat at a distance at Rice's press conferences - she didn't want to be the one to end Rice's tenure with the Ravens.

Turns out that Ray Rice did tell the truth to the Ravens and the NFL about what happened in the elevator except that the Ravens tried to protect him like they protected future Hall of Famer Ray Lewis during Lewis' double murder trial in Atlanta.  Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti is no Art Modell and there was no TMZ around to provide video of what really happened inside Ray Lewis' limo....

A NFL Commissioner (or any sports commissioner) is not a marriage counselor.  Roger Goddell made a mistake in speaking to both Rice and his wife and handing out a 2 game suspension.  Regardless, Rice is in a similar situation to QB Michael Vick who served prison time and was suspended by the NFL for quite a while.  Things will settle down and the NFL will likely reinstate Rice given that some team will need a RB on the downhill side of his career.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6328 on: September 11, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »
I read that Pirates' star Andrew McCutchen just put on a burst of speed and rounded the bases on an inside-the-park home run. As soon as he saw the ball hit the brick wall and bounce back toward right field, he knew he had a chance. He didn't even have to slide into home.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6329 on: September 11, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »
Steelers, how can you do this to me?  :'(
God bless!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6330 on: September 11, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »
Steelers didn't want to ruin Baltimore's Star Spangled Banner party - hopefully the "humanoid" that leaked the Ray Rice video bet a lot of money on the Steelers and/or had a lot of Steeler players on his/her fantasy team.

With the Yankees coming to town and the Orioles having a 10 game division lead, expect the Yankees to roll over as well.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6331 on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:45 AM »
Kudos to Andrew McCutcheon. He had to have cojones to run like that!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6332 on: September 12, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »
Adrian Peterson Indicted

Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted by a Montgomery County, Texas, grand jury on charges of reckless or negligent injury to a child and a warrant has been issued for his arrest. The team deactivated him for Sunday's home game against the Patriots.

Peterson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, issued a statement Friday saying his client's conduct "involves using a switch to spank his son." According to a report by Sports Radio 610 in Houston, Peterson removed the leaves of a tree branch, which he referred to in a police report as "a switch," to strike the child...

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #6333 on: September 12, 2014, 07:46:15 PM »
Adrian Peterson Indicted

Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted by a Montgomery County, Texas, grand jury on charges of reckless or negligent injury to a child and a warrant has been issued for his arrest. The team deactivated him for Sunday's home game against the Patriots.

Peterson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, issued a statement Friday saying his client's conduct "involves using a switch to spank his son." According to a report by Sports Radio 610 in Houston, Peterson removed the leaves of a tree branch, which he referred to in a police report as "a switch," to strike the child...

If the photos of the injuries are accurate, then that was indeed excessive 'spanking'. I know Southerners who have spanked with a switch, but never with injuries like that.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6334 on: September 12, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
Baltimore Orioles slugger Chris Davis is serving a 25 game suspension after failing a drug test when Adderall was found in his system.  If the O's make the playoffs, Davis may not be available to them until the ALCS at the earliest or the World Series at the latest.

This week has to be one of the worst weeks in Baltimore sports history - especially when the city is celebrating the 200th anniversary of the national anthem.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6335 on: September 12, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
Baltimore Orioles slugger Chris Davis is serving a 25 game suspension after failing a drug test when Adderall was found in his system.

I started taking that drug about a month ago. I'm still not seeing any improvement in my athletic ability, but I hold out hope!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6336 on: September 12, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Baltimore Orioles slugger Chris Davis is serving a 25 game suspension after failing a drug test when Adderall was found in his system.

I started taking that drug about a month ago. I'm still not seeing any improvement in my athletic ability, but I hold out hope!

New medications take 4-6 weeks to have an effect.  Your untapped athletic prowess is waiting to be exploited....   :)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6337 on: September 12, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »
Adrian Peterson Indicted

Ugh, we are only in week two and my fantasy team is taking a major dump.  :(
God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #6338 on: September 13, 2014, 12:54:12 AM »
How many of you think we might see a change in how protective headgear is designed for baseball after what happened to Giancarlo Stanton of the Miami Marlins? For those of you who don't know, he suffered some facial fractures and dental damage after getting hit in the face by a pitch last night.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:58:28 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #6339 on: September 13, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
I was a the 11 inning pitchers duel yesterday between the Orioles and Yankees, and it was so fantastic that the Orioles won, and most importantly that the Yankees lost.

Orioles Park is such a fun place to go for a game

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6340 on: September 13, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »
Yankees took 1 from the Orioles and are 4.5 games back for a wild card spot.  The Yankees season isn't over, yet....

Offline therovingmethodist

• A very bad Christian
« Reply #6341 on: September 13, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
Went to the Kent State @ Ohio State football game today. Left after halftime with the score 45-0 OSU.

O!H!
"One Bishop to rule them all, One Bishop to find them, One Bishop to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
-Kostac

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6342 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »
OK folks, I know I'm bragging here. Forgive me. I'm a huge BAMA fan and so I admit that it's hard for me to be objective. But I can't help it. I have to go ahead and say this: BAMA is DEFINITELY, ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT DOUBT a TOP 20 team! Yes, I said it! And I dare you to doubt me on this!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6343 on: September 13, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »
PITT won, PSU losing at half time, Pirates losing in the 8th, and Steelers played like bums on Thursday. Sort of meh right now...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6344 on: September 13, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »
PITT won, PSU losing at half time, Pirates losing in the 8th, and Steelers played like bums on Thursday. Sort of meh right now...
I am distraught.  :'(
God bless!