OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:32:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 437801 times) Average Rating: 5
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6165 on: July 08, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »

6-0!

Good heavens, I hope the Brazilian fans won't kill the Germans.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6166 on: July 08, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »

7-1 final score.

Apparently they started fires in the city. It wouldn't be a surprise if there'll be a revolt in Brazil tonight. The discontent has only been kept in check by Brazil's good results in the cup.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6167 on: July 08, 2014, 06:03:07 PM »

In Brazil it's a religion. So when they lose, it's like being proven their religion is false Tongue

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
john_mo
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6168 on: July 08, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »

Who's diving now?  Not Klose, that's for sure.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6169 on: July 08, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »

Who's diving now?  Not Klose, that's for sure.

Brazilian fans, off a rooftop.

It wouldn't surprise me if there'll be casualties tonight.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #6170 on: July 08, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »

God forbid.  This is bad even for Neymar. 

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6171 on: July 08, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »

This is not going to end well...

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #6172 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »

I agree.  I watched the game in Berlin, and the locals ran out of fireworks to celebrate Germany's goals.  Really, how could they have prepared for this?

—G.K. Chesterton
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6173 on: July 09, 2014, 06:46:12 PM »

And it's Germany and Argentina for the championship.

Argentina beats Holland 4-2 in a shootout after the two played each other to the first scoreless draw ever in a World Cup semifinal.
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #6174 on: July 09, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »

So, on a scale of 1 to Brazilian, how doomed is Argentina?

—G.K. Chesterton
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6175 on: July 09, 2014, 07:25:01 PM »

I don't know. I really don't think Germany was THAT good in their semifinal; rather, I think Brazil was THAT BAD! Without their top defender and team captain, they looked totally disorganized.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:26:52 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6176 on: July 10, 2014, 02:39:32 AM »

Good. At least now the Dutch team won't lose against Germany in the finals.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #6177 on: July 10, 2014, 02:55:27 AM »

I don't know. I really don't think Germany was THAT good in their semifinal; rather, I think Brazil was THAT BAD! Without their top defender and team captain, they looked totally disorganized.

I think it's both that Germany was good and Brazil was bad.  I am of the opinion that the Germans will end the Argos before extra time. 

—G.K. Chesterton
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6178 on: July 10, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

The Battle of the Popes
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:09:16 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #6179 on: July 10, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »

Let's hope that, unlike Benedict, Germany doesn't quit.

—G.K. Chesterton
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #6180 on: July 10, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »

This sums up exactly why I think Germany will win:

My apologies for lack of Klose in the pic.

—G.K. Chesterton
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6181 on: July 10, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »

The World Cup is great.  It is the only time in 4 years that Americans start learning the names of players and trying to talk intelligently about football/soccer.  In two weeks time, everyone will be back to Neymar who?

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6182 on: July 10, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »

I predict Germany will win 3-1.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #6183 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »

The World Cup is great.  It is the only time in 4 years that Americans start learning the names of players and trying to talk intelligently about football/soccer.  In two weeks time, everyone will be back to Neymar who?

As an affirmed casual-football fan, I take slight umbrage with this.  International football is so accessible and epic, whereas I find it difficult to support a club which with all the trading.  It is because of casual fans like me that the World Cup and Euro Cup are so interesting and popular.  Also, such tournaments are a great way to get into club football by learning about the players.  On the other hand, I suppose I'm more of a "serious-casual" football supporter.

It's basically the closest thing I'll get to a world war without the nasty bits but all the drama, defeat and glory.

—G.K. Chesterton
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #6184 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »

James has rejoined the Cavs :-)

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/07/11/2014-free-agency-signing-day-part-ii/?ls=iref:nbahpt3a
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:44:58 PM by TheMathematician » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6185 on: July 11, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »

Humbug. I don't know what the fuss is all about. It's not like he joined the Cavs because he owes it to them. He joined them because Cleveland had enough money to afford him after a few trades.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #6186 on: July 11, 2014, 02:27:40 PM »

Assuming I can take his words at face value, Lebron James has turned for me, from one of my most hated players into easily one of my favourites

by LeBron James (as told to Lee Jenkins)
Posted: Fri Jul. 11, 2014

Before anyone ever cared where I would play basketball, I was a kid from Northeast Ohio. It’s where I walked. It’s where I ran. It’s where I cried. It’s where I bled. It holds a special place in my heart. People there have seen me grow up. I sometimes feel like I’m their son. Their passion can be overwhelming. But it drives me. I want to give them hope when I can. I want to inspire them when I can. My relationship with Northeast Ohio is bigger than basketball. I didn’t realize that four years ago. I do now.

To make the move I needed the support of my wife and my mom, who can be very tough. The letter from Dan Gilbert, the booing of the Cleveland fans, the jerseys being burned -- seeing all that was hard for them. My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, “OK, I don’t want to deal with these people ever again.” But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I’ve met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We’ve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge?

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #6187 on: July 11, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »

Can someone please give me an overview with the Lebron saga?  I only know that it was a huge deal four years ago which team he will go with.  I haven't followed NBA in like 7 years.

—G.K. Chesterton
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6188 on: July 11, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »

Can someone please give me an overview with the Lebron saga?  I only know that it was a huge deal four years ago which team he will go with.  I haven't followed NBA in like 7 years.
Four years ago, LeBron left the Cleveland Cavaliers, the team that drafted him and the team that represents his homeland of northern Ohio--LeBron grew up and played his high school ball in nearby Akron. He left to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami to give the Heat their version of the Big 3. Now it appears that LeBron has returned to Cleveland for what he cites are reasons bigger than basketball. If one is to take him at his word, he returned to Cleveland to be closer to his roots and to bring an NBA title to Cleveland, a city that hasn't won a championship in any professional sport in close to 60 years.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:28:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #6189 on: July 11, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »

Humbug. I don't know what the fuss is all about. It's not like he joined the Cavs because he owes it to them. He joined them because Cleveland had enough money to afford him after a few trades.

I share your cynicism.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #6190 on: July 11, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »

I am glad he did this, but he should never have left to go to Miami. That is what separates him from the greats like Bird, Jordan, Johnson and Erving.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:44:46 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6191 on: July 11, 2014, 03:47:01 PM »

I am glad he did this, but he should never have left to go to Miami. That is what separates him from the greats like Bird, Jordan and Erving.
Now that he's learned how to win a championship, a skill he was never going to learn in Cleveland the way they were going four years ago, from playing with a champion alpha-dog Dwyane Wade and from playing for 4-time NBA champion coach (now team owner) Pat Riley, I hope he can bring his experience back home to Cleveland and show them how it's done.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #6192 on: July 11, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »

I hope for Cleveland's sake that you are right.  That poor town does not have good sports fortune.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6193 on: July 11, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »

I am glad he did this, but he should never have left to go to Miami. That is what separates him from the greats like Bird, Jordan and Erving.
Now that he's learned how to win a championship, a skill he was never going to learn in Cleveland the way they were going four years ago, from playing with a champion alpha-dog Dwyane Wade and from playing for 4-time NBA champion coach (now team owner) Pat Riley, I hope he can bring his experience back home to Cleveland and show them how it's done.
I hope that the Cavaliers' owner, Dan Gilbert, will now invest in surrounding LeBron with the players who can help him win a championship. Gilbert's continued failure/refusal to do so was, in fact, one of the major reasons why LeBron left four years ago. I hear rumor that they're also targeting Kevin Love, who could combine with LeBron to give the Cavaliers a formidable front line.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:58:03 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6194 on: July 11, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »

PtA you consistently make more sense than nearly every sports pundit does. Perhaps it's why you are not getting paid to do it.

Cleveland now has something else other than White Castle to offer.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6195 on: July 11, 2014, 07:11:09 PM »

PtA you consistently make more sense than nearly every sports pundit does. Perhaps it's why you are not getting paid to do it.

Cleveland now has something else other than White Castle to offer.

There's White Castle in Cleveland? I knew this was a huge Jersey crave (no pun intended).

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #6196 on: July 12, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »

Wow. All these die hard Miami Heat fans can't jump off the bandwagon fast enough. Too funny! (And be careful Cleveland. Never trust anyone who says, "It's just business." You will always wind up heartbroken. They profess their love for you today, but when times get tough and the grass starts looking greener once again, will they stick around? We'll see. Just be careful. That's all I'm saying.)

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6197 on: July 12, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »

Wow. All these die hard Miami Heat fans can't jump off the bandwagon fast enough. Too funny! (And be careful Cleveland. Never trust anyone who says, "It's just business." You will always wind up heartbroken. They profess their love for you today, but when times get tough and the grass starts looking greener once again, will they stick around? We'll see. Just be careful. That's all I'm saying.)

Selam
Yup. Haters will be haters. Wink
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6198 on: July 12, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »

We'll see  Wink...we may be haters, but in a couple of years (or sooner), we might just say "we haters told you so"   Cool
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:46:08 PM by minasoliman » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6199 on: July 12, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »

We'll see  Wink...we may be haters, but in a couple of years (or sooner), we might just say "we haters told you so"   Cool
You're not one of the haters I'm talking about. Wink
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6200 on: July 12, 2014, 02:03:32 PM »

Selam

You realize that Cleveland doesn't have feelings and people shouldn't get heart broken over games played by millionaires.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6201 on: July 12, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »

I watched the Battle of the Bay and was a bit disappointed that the Giants only won one game. I remember when I was a kid and they were the most popular team in California because of Barry Bonds breaking records and scoring home runs left and right. My family is also related to Cody Ross who used to be on the team. I can't believe we got beaten by the team from Oakland whose toilets overflow in the Winter. Seriously. They're the ghettoest team in the state with a lousy coliseum, malfunctional plumbing, and they pay their players less than other teams. And they beat us. Pablo Sandoval let me down.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6202 on: July 12, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »

I watched the Battle of the Bay and was a bit disappointed that the Giants only won one game. I remember when I was a kid and they were the most popular team in California because of Barry Bonds breaking records and scoring home runs left and right. My family is also related to Cody Ross who used to be on the team. I can't believe we got beaten by the team from Oakland whose toilets overflow in the Winter. Seriously. They're the ghettoest team in the state with a lousy coliseum, malfunctional plumbing, and they pay their players less than other teams. And they beat us. Pablo Sandoval let me down.
Yeah, I guess sports fans have to find the zaniest reasons to put down the teams they hate most.
therovingmethodist

Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy

A very bad Christian

« Reply #6203 on: July 12, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »

If one is to take him at his word, he returned to Cleveland to be closer to his roots and to bring an NBA title to Cleveland, a city that hasn't won a championship in any professional sport in close to 60 years.

C'm'on, it's only been 50 years since the Browns won the Championship! Wink
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:27:18 PM by therovingmethodist » Logged

"One Bishop to rule them all, One Bishop to find them, One Bishop to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
-Kostac
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6204 on: July 12, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »

If one is to take him at his word, he returned to Cleveland to be closer to his roots and to bring an NBA title to Cleveland, a city that hasn't won a championship in any professional sport in close to 60 years.

C'm'on, it's only been 50 years since the Browns won the Championship! Wink
Hey, when my favorite team hasn't won a championship in over 100 years, what's the difference of a decade?
therovingmethodist

Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy

A very bad Christian

« Reply #6205 on: July 12, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »

The Cubs had a bad century. They'll get better.

"One Bishop to rule them all, One Bishop to find them, One Bishop to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
-Kostac
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6206 on: July 12, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »

With more help from the officials Brazil manages to still lose spectacularly.

Good day.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6207 on: July 12, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »

With more help from the officials Brazil manages to still lose spectacularly.

Good day.
I'm not sure it takes much help from the officials to lose a soccer match 3-0.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6208 on: July 12, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »

Really the only thing more embarrassing than Brazil's implosion is Taylor Twellman. No single small man has managed to export all things terrible about America to the world as effectively as he has.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6209 on: July 13, 2014, 03:22:11 PM »

Because of possible rain in 5 hours,  I have to watch the WC with 20% of my screen full of crawl about the rain and a Tri-State map plastered on the screen. I was just ranting about this nonsense at work this week. Ridiculous.

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: