OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 413839 times) Average Rating: 5
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5985 on: June 11, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »

LeBron had 7 turnovers and was outplayed by Leonard - I don't think Jordan had such a game.
Jordan had his stinkers.

For one, Jordan checked out of key moments of Game 4 of the 1997 NBA Finals with cramps.  http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/06/michael-jordan-left-an-nba-finals-game-due-to-cramps-too/

There's also Game 4 of the 1996 Finals, when Jordan made only 6 of his 19 shots from the field for 23 points, with 3 rebounds and 2 assists against his 4 turnovers. This was the first of two straight games the Bulls lost after they took a 3-0 series lead.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/401688-mjs-top-10-best-and-best-worst-finals-appearances

I wonder if James' kids will talk trash, '7 turnovers.'

The Heat rise and fall with James
But if the rest of the Heat had played better, think of how much more space James would have had to maneuver.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5986 on: June 11, 2014, 01:10:47 AM »

The Spurs defense took away James and dared the rest of the Heat to stand up.  The Heat were flat.

Heat aren't that good anyway - their defense moderately improved in the second half.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5987 on: June 11, 2014, 01:12:06 AM »

Here's an excellent article about why comparisons between LeBron James and Michael Jordan are so often useless.

http://nba.si.com/2013/06/11/lebron-james-michael-jordan-nba-finals-miami-heat/
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5988 on: June 11, 2014, 01:18:16 AM »

If the Spurs hadn't missed 4 straight FTs in the 4th quarter of Game 2 and make crucial errors down the stretch, there might be a 3-0 Spurs lead.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5989 on: June 11, 2014, 01:27:15 AM »

If the Spurs hadn't missed 4 straight FTs in the 4th quarter of Game 2 and make crucial errors down the stretch, there might be a 3-0 Spurs lead.
That's like saying if LeBron hadn't left Game 1 with cramps and if the Heat hadn't turned the ball over so many times in Game 3, they would have a 3-0 lead in this series. Who really cares about this woulda, coulda, shoulda game you're playing?
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #5990 on: June 11, 2014, 01:30:20 AM »

That's like saying if LeBron hadn't left Game 1 with cramps and if the Heat hadn't turned the ball over so many times in Game 3, they would have a 3-0 lead in this series. Who really cares about this woulda, coulda, shoulda game you're playing?

I talk about past experiences....
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5991 on: June 11, 2014, 01:36:08 AM »

The supposed "greatest basketball player ever" bided his time for three quarters, laying in the weeds and allowing his teammates to reduce a 25 point deficit to 10 by the beginning of the fourth. And then when it was time to take over, he faded into oblivion. Michael Jordan had some bad games, but he always went down swinging. But heck, I know the Lebron worshipers will come up with plenty of excuses. (And BTW, I gave Lebron his props last game. So don't even come at me with the "you're just a hater" foolishness.)
I will come back with my "you're just a hater" foolishness, because your "props" are merely fools gold. I think you're idolizing Jordan to the point of making him out to be something he wasn't. I also note the hypocrisy of your whining that we never give the winner credit for winning but choose instead to focus on what the loser did to lose. I recall that you chewed us out for doing exactly this when the U.S. team blew a huge lead and lost to the Europeans in a recent Ryder's Cup tournament. You hate LeBron so much that you're willing to besmirch his legacy whenever you have the chance, even if it means putting your hypocrisy on display for the world to see.

Wow. Accusing me of hating somebody. Nice. People like you are why Lebron has so many detractors. We like the guy and assess him objectively, but we're not allowed to ever question or critique anything about him. I guess you'll call me a racist next.  Roll Eyes

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5992 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:37 AM »

The supposed "greatest basketball player ever" bided his time for three quarters, laying in the weeds and allowing his teammates to reduce a 25 point deficit to 10 by the beginning of the fourth. And then when it was time to take over, he faded into oblivion. Michael Jordan had some bad games, but he always went down swinging. But heck, I know the Lebron worshipers will come up with plenty of excuses. (And BTW, I gave Lebron his props last game. So don't even come at me with the "you're just a hater" foolishness.)
I will come back with my "you're just a hater" foolishness, because your "props" are merely fools gold. I think you're idolizing Jordan to the point of making him out to be something he wasn't. I also note the hypocrisy of your whining that we never give the winner credit for winning but choose instead to focus on what the loser did to lose. I recall that you chewed us out for doing exactly this when the U.S. team blew a huge lead and lost to the Europeans in a recent Ryder's Cup tournament. You hate LeBron so much that you're willing to besmirch his legacy whenever you have the chance, even if it means putting your hypocrisy on display for the world to see.

Wow. Accusing me of hating somebody. Nice. People like you are why Lebron has so many detractors.
If you dislike LeBron because of people like me, then you're the one with the problem: projecting onto LeBron what you don't like about his supporters.

We like the guy and assess him objectively, but we're not allowed to ever question or critique anything about him.
Except that you don't assess him objectively. You judge him as soft because he's nothing like Jordan. That's not an objective assessment. That's a personal judgment.

I guess you'll call me a racist next.  Roll Eyes
You're the one throwing out the non sequitur racist card, not me. Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5993 on: June 11, 2014, 01:48:48 AM »

Just beating you at your own game. Wink
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5994 on: June 11, 2014, 01:55:10 AM »

Wow. Accusing me of hating somebody. Nice. People like you are why Lebron has so many detractors.
If you dislike LeBron because of people like me, then you're the one with the problem: projecting onto LeBron what you don't like about his supporters.

We like the guy and assess him objectively, but we're not allowed to ever question or critique anything about him.
Except that you don't assess him objectively. You judge him as soft because he's nothing like Jordan. That's not an objective assessment. That's a personal judgment.

OK Peter. Go ahead and judge me the way you falsely accuse me of judging Lebron. I've praised Lebron repeatedly. You, on the other hand, have never been able to say a kind thing about Jordan.

Selam 

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #5995 on: June 11, 2014, 01:56:48 AM »

Just beating you at your own game. Wink

Taking creative liberties with a jingle about Jordan....

Like Peter, I want to be like Peter, I wanna be, I wanna be, I wanna be....
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5996 on: June 11, 2014, 02:07:10 AM »

OK Peter. Go ahead and judge me the way you falsely accuse me of judging Lebron. I've praised Lebron repeatedly. You, on the other hand, have never been able to say a kind thing about Jordan.
Take it in context, Gebre. The only time I ever speak to you of Michael Jordan is to shoot down that idol you've made of him.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5997 on: June 11, 2014, 02:55:49 AM »

I have gained newfound respect for Lebron James. As a pacifist, I appreciate the way he turned the other cheek in game 3.
 Wink

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5998 on: June 11, 2014, 03:08:08 AM »

I have gained newfound respect for Lebron James. As a pacifist, I appreciate the way he turned the other cheek in game 3.
 Wink
From you, I'm sure LeBron appreciates any compliment he can get, even if it is backhanded. Wink
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5999 on: June 11, 2014, 03:17:26 AM »

Wink
From you, I'm sure LeBron appreciates any compliment he can get, even if it is backhanded. Wink

Just as I appreciate any compliment I can get from you Peter.  Wink Wink Wink

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #6000 on: June 11, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »

Pirates outfield of the future...?

(from left to right...)

Starling Marte has flashed above average play for stretches, but in between he's been very inconsistent. He is currently tied for 7th in the NL for most strike outs, and has a .244 batting average. The guy is fast and could lead the team in triples and stolen bases (excepting perhaps Polanco... we'll see), but even his base running can be horrible at times. Last year he had decent numbers overall (in 135 games played), batting .280, with 10 triples, 12 home runs, and 41 stolen bases, but he's taken a step backwards so far this year.

The newly-called-up Gregory Polanco. He was doing well at Triple A (in 62 games), hitting .347 (.945 OPS), with 17 doubles, 5 triples, 7 home runs, 47 runs, 49 RBI, and 15 stolen bases. But who knows how things will go in the majors? He certainly has a lot of pressure on him. I remember reading that he was like the 13th ranked prospect (according to someone or other) at the beginning of the season, and had got up to 3rd place recently. The Pirates are fairly mediocre so far this season, so people are going to hope that he can be the spark that gets us going.

Andrew McCutchen is obviously a great talent, though I think it's still unclear whether he's an all-star caliber player or can actually be a truly elite player. Defense isn't a problem (though I'm not sure that he'll win another gold glove). He is signed long term, and wants to stay, which is nice. His numbers the last two seasons have been good:

2012 - 29 doubles, 31 home runs, 96 RBI, 20 stolen bases, .327 AVG, .953 OPS  
2013 - 38 doubles, 21 home runs, 84 RBI, 27 stolen bases, .317 AVG, .912 OPS

...but I don't think he's quite got to where he needs to be yet--or where the Pirates need him to be if he's going to be the cornerstone of the franchise.

I guess this could turn into the best outfield in baseball... or 2 years from now it could be a nearly-complete bust.

*praying to baseball gods*
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:38:50 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6001 on: June 11, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »

Just realised that the last post was the 6000th reply on this thread.

Anyway, the reason I came in was to post this:

Heat look to target Carmelo Anthony

Wat? Huh

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6002 on: June 13, 2014, 03:47:21 AM »

Oy, this is turning out to be a dud of an NBA Finals series. Roll Eyes

It sure is fun to watch San Antonio's near-perfect execution, unselfish play, and crisp ball movement on offense and their gambling, ball stealing play on defense.

That said, it's sad to see Dwyane Wade not able to get any elevation on his jumps and to see the Heat stink up their own home court so badly.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:48:11 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6003 on: June 13, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »

Au contraire, this is the best final series we have had in quite some time.  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6004 on: June 13, 2014, 11:40:06 AM »

Au contraire, this is the best final series we have had in quite some time.  Wink
Let me guess. You live in San Antonio.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6005 on: June 13, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »

Just wait to the Heat succumb to Carmelo's siren-like song..... we Knick fans were teased and teased for years.... I know the Heat have a better supporting cast - but with Carmelo that is the thing - to him the rest of the team is but a 'supporting cast' in a solo play.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6006 on: June 13, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »

I would never, ever live in the god-forsaken state of Texas. It is an embarrassment to the rest of the country, much like the state of Florida is.   Tongue

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6007 on: June 13, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »

MLB (along with every other sport) Continue to Openly Allow Steroids To Promote Performance Enhancement

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #6008 on: June 13, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »

Oy, this is turning out to be a dud of an NBA Finals series. Roll Eyes

It sure is fun to watch San Antonio's near-perfect execution, unselfish play, and crisp ball movement on offense and their gambling, ball stealing play on defense.

That said, it's sad to see Dwyane Wade not able to get any elevation on his jumps and to see the Heat stink up their own home court so badly.

Wade's career might have "jumped the shark" in Game 4.

James - no show in 4th quarter.

I'd like to see a 30 pt blow out win by the Spurs in Game 5.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6009 on: June 13, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »

Of course not! His team was down by close to 25 points at the start of the 4th and didn't gain any ground in the quarter's early minutes. Why would Spo even play LeBron in that situation and risk needless injury to his best player?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6010 on: June 13, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »

Anyone watching the Spain-Netherlands game?

The Italian referee is biased towards Spain.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6011 on: June 13, 2014, 03:51:09 PM »

Of course not! His team was down by close to 25 points at the start of the 4th and didn't gain any ground in the quarter's early minutes. Why would Spo even play LeBron in that situation and risk needless injury to his best player?
I agree.  Perhaps it would be different if MJ was playing, but Lebron?  Not a chance.  Grin

Sorry, just had to throw that dig in there.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6012 on: June 13, 2014, 03:51:52 PM »

Isn't that what every sports fan says when their team isn't doing as well as they like?

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #6013 on: June 13, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »

Isn't that what every sports fan says when their team isn't doing as well as they like?

It's 1-1, though. Spain's penalty was unfair. Nobody even touched Diego Costa.

-Samuel Coleridge
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6014 on: June 13, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6015 on: June 13, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »

Justin raises a valid point as to the line between medically necessitated steroids such as typically used to relieve inflammation to promote joint recovery and  HGH used to expedite healing after traumatic injury and so called 'performance enhancing' ones is,at best 'blurred'.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #6016 on: June 13, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »

Spain has been utterly demolished. 5-1 for the Netherlands in spite of the Italian referee. Now that's how I like it!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:30:19 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #6017 on: June 13, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »

This amuses me.

-Samuel Coleridge
Jude1:3

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: USA

« Reply #6018 on: June 13, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »

Any of you guys fans of MMA/UFC ?

And also FEDOR EMELIANENKO ?   Wow@2:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btLwmYi-rSM
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #6019 on: June 13, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »

LeBron was sinking every shot in the 3rd quarter and his team couldn't put a dent in the 20 pt deficit.

Wade and Bosh can't even play 4 consistent quarters - they're resorting to Udonis Haslem, from their '06 championship team, for spark.

Heat are old, exhausted and ... frankly, done.

All 13 players on the Spurs roster scored in Game 4.   Shocked

Edit: If the Spurs win their 5th title on Sunday, Tim Duncan should retire.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:53:22 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6020 on: June 13, 2014, 10:49:45 PM »

More teams have come back from 25 point deficits than have come back from being down 1-3 in the finals.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #6021 on: June 13, 2014, 11:40:23 PM »

Spain has been utterly demolished. 5-1 for the Netherlands in spite of the Italian referee. Now that's how I like it!

+1

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6022 on: June 13, 2014, 11:40:52 PM »

Legendary Steelers coach Chuck Noll dies at 82

Charles Henry Noll, who lifted the Steelers from the depths of the National Football League and coached them to four-time Super Bowl champions by adhering to simple, long-held principles, died Friday in his home in Sewickley.

Noll, who had been under a doctor's care for an undisclosed illness, was 82.

His wife, Marianne, found him unresponsive at 9:45 p.m. and called 911. Paramedics pronounced him dead 10 minutes later...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #6023 on: June 13, 2014, 11:43:01 PM »

Legendary Steelers coach Chuck Noll dies at 82

Charles Henry Noll, who lifted the Steelers from the depths of the National Football League and coached them to four-time Super Bowl champions by adhering to simple, long-held principles, died Friday in his home in Sewickley.

Noll, who had been under a doctor's care for an undisclosed illness, was 82.

His wife, Marianne, found him unresponsive at 9:45 p.m. and called 911. Paramedics pronounced him dead 10 minutes later...

Perhaps the most underrated coach in any sport. I loved the Steelers growing up. Sad news. May his memory be eternal!!! +++

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6024 on: June 14, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »

Apart from the typos it was a good article about him as a person, not just as a coach.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6025 on: June 14, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »

But congrats to the Kings for winning that there Cup of Lord Stanley.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6026 on: June 14, 2014, 03:13:41 AM »

From ESPN: "In the last 100 years, there have been four 13-inning games played on a Friday the 13th. The Pirates have been involved in (and won) three of them."

That's just how we do it. We take it to the superstitions of the nation and knock em down!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6027 on: June 14, 2014, 03:48:03 AM »

Congratulations Kings.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #6028 on: June 14, 2014, 05:11:56 AM »

England-Italy today. Anyone going to watch the game?

-Samuel Coleridge
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6029 on: June 14, 2014, 06:12:36 AM »

The Aerodynamics Of The World Cup Soccer Ball, In GIFs

NASA stuck a World Cup soccer ball into some of its aerodynamics testing chambers because why not. NASA is not involved in developing or testing the ball, so these demonstrations were really just for fun.

The demos put some cool visuals to what Popular Science previously reported about this year's ball, which was made by Adidas and named the Brazuca. The Brazuca is a very smooth ball with its stitching hidden deep inside. That means that when it's kicked, it keeps the airflow close to its surface, ensuring that the ball moves in a true, predictable arc...

However, at certain speeds, the airflow around every soccer ball becomes more erratic and unpredictable. If a player kicks a ball at just that speed, with little or no spin, the ball's arc becomes unpredictable. This phenomenon is called knuckling. During the last World Cup in 2010, players complained that that year's ball handled strangely. It turned out that that the 2010 ball, named Jabulani, knuckled when kicked at about 50 mph—a typical kicking speed for World Cup players...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:12:57 AM by Justin Kissel » Logged

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: