OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 07:05:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 436696 times) Average Rating: 5
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5490 on: September 09, 2013, 10:13:59 PM »

Pouncey and Foote both need surgery and are likely out for the season. At this point it might be slightly less embarrassing for the Steelers to just forfeit all their games.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:14:15 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5491 on: September 09, 2013, 10:23:20 PM »

I was wondering what you thought of Manziel, Gebre.

Never thought I'd see anyone make Cash Newton look humble in comparison.  Wink

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #5492 on: September 09, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »

And finally, my Pirates make it number 82, and with that, a winning season for the first time in my life. :-)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5493 on: September 09, 2013, 10:57:28 PM »

2013. The year the Pirates made the playoffs and the Steelers won't. This is going to be a strange fall...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5494 on: September 09, 2013, 11:28:42 PM »

I've caught some of the Olbermann shows. Guy hasn't been funny in 15 years.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5495 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »

I've caught some of the Olbermann shows. Guy hasn't been funny in 15 years.

I know. It's pathetic. ESPN is throwing him a bone out of pity.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5496 on: September 10, 2013, 01:14:48 AM »

And in his NFL debut, Chip Kelly's Eagles run more offensive plays in the first half than many teams ran in their entire opening week games! Shocked
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:15:17 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5497 on: September 10, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »

Pouncey and Foote both need surgery and are likely out for the season. At this point it might be slightly less embarrassing for the Steelers to just forfeit all their games.
Yay for high draft picks, I guess?  Undecided

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #5498 on: September 10, 2013, 08:09:13 AM »

And in his NFL debut, Chip Kelly's Eagles run more offensive plays in the first half than many teams ran in their entire opening week games! Shocked
Also of note, Chip Kelly's Eagles played better in their first game than they have in their last 6 million years under Andy Reid.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5499 on: September 10, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »

Also of note, Chip Kelly's Eagles played better in their first game than they have in their last 6 million years under Andy Reid.
Andy Reid is THAT old!!? Shocked
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #5500 on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »

Andy Reid is THAT old!!? Shocked
I know, I was suprised too.  I didn't realize he was alive before the homo sapien ascendance, but perhaps that explains his continually poor performance year after year.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5501 on: September 10, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »

You guys seem way out of the loop here. I thought it was common knowledge that Reid was an ancient, evolutionary primate-walrus hybrid  Huh

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #5502 on: September 10, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »

The San Diego Superchargers had a great first half last night against Houston! Then they turned into the Superchokers. Again. Much like they did last year against Denver. I am almost ready to give my Rivers jersey to the Salvation Army.  Sad

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5503 on: September 10, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

Is Rivers as much of a jerkface as he seems to be on TV?

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #5504 on: September 10, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »

Nah, he's a great guy, it seems to me. He just can't control his emotions very well on game days.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5505 on: September 11, 2013, 02:07:57 AM »

Inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame this last weekend: Oregon State Beaver alum and longtime Seattle Supersonic, arguably the best defender (and best trash talker) ever to play point guard in the NBA: Gary Payton. Ironically, he claimed recently that he found guarding Michael Jordan easier than guarding John Stockton. His explanation: He could actually get into Jordan's head by trash talking him, whereas Stockton was so quietly resistant to Payton's head games that Payton never could rattle him.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:08:52 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5506 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:32 AM »

Nah, he's a great guy, it seems to me. He just can't control his emotions very well on game days.

Good to know that I had the wrong impression of him and he's nice Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5507 on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:35 AM »

Inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame this last weekend: Oregon State Beaver alum and longtime Seattle Supersonic, arguably the best defender (and best trash talker) ever to play point guard in the NBA: Gary Payton. Ironically, he claimed recently that he found guarding Michael Jordan easier than guarding John Stockton. His explanation: He could actually get into Jordan's head by trash talking him, whereas Stockton was so quietly resistant to Payton's head games that Payton never could rattle him.

Well deserved.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #5508 on: September 11, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »

I don't know much about him personally, but if I was his coach, I would only ever let him play first halfs. They should get a second half quarterback to finish out games for him.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #5509 on: September 11, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »

I don't know much about him personally, but if I was his coach, I would only ever let him play first halfs. They should get a second half quarterback to finish out games for him.

No kidding!

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #5510 on: September 11, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »

"In 2011, he was named one of three finalists for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award for his work with the Rivers of Hope Foundation, an endeavor he and his wife oversaw from 2010-12 to help abandoned and orphaned children. The Foundation raised more than $1,000,000 for the cause through football camps, a 5K Fun Run and personal contributions from Rivers. The Foundation also supported the San Pasqual Academy, a residential education campus designed specifically for foster teens."--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Rivers#Awards_and_honors

And he's a practicing Catholic and dad of six. Must be a pretty good guy! And yes, I'm a little biased because I'm a Chargers fan.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5511 on: September 14, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »

Why does a bell that sounds like the beginning of the Undertaker theme music keep playing in the Virginia Tech game?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5512 on: September 14, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »

Q. Out of all the schools that recruited him, why did Johnny Manziel decide to go to Texas?

A. He say "aTm" on the side of their helmets and misunderstood what it meant.

Yuk yuk.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #5513 on: September 14, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »

Hey, Asteriktos, I have a joke for you:

The 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers.

OOOOOOHHHHH!

See ya Monday.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5514 on: September 14, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »

One cannot be burnt by a joke when one's soul is already charred beyond recognition. Yet remember what the Psalmist said:

"But the wicked will perish: though the Steelers' enemies are like the flowers of the field, they will be consumed, they will go up in smoke." - Ps. 37:20

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #5515 on: September 14, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »

One cannot be burnt by a joke when one's soul is already charred beyond recognition. Yet remember what the Psalmist said:

"But the wicked will perish: though the Steelers' enemies are like the flowers of the field, they will be consumed, they will go up in smoke." - Ps. 37:20

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5516 on: September 15, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!  
Wow! What an incredible game. Coach Saban probably summed it up best when he said to Kevin Sumlin during the post game handshake, “You just took ten years off of my life!”

If someone had told me the final score would be 49-42, I surely would have guessed that A&M would be on the winning end. I said all week that we couldn’t win in a shootout with the Aggies. But the score was misleading. This wasn’t really a shootout, with both teams going back and forth scoring on each possession. We scored 35 unanswered points after initially falling behind 14-0. So, BAMA really dominated much of this game. But the fact is that Johnny Manziel is just that good. I have to credit him. Anyone that can abuse a Nick Saban coached defense two years in a row deserves the hype they receive. And the kid did this to us after almost a year to prepare for him! Sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due. But in spite of another incredible performance by Manziel, the TIDE prevailed in the end, and that’s all that matters.

Here’s how I graded our performance today:

OFFENSE – A: The penalties and the one costly fumble on the goal line are the only things that kept me from giving us an A+ here. But after the first two possessions, our offense more than found their groove. Tremendous pass protection and excellent run blocking from our offensive line. Remarkable improvement from two weeks ago! So that concern seems to have been answered. O.J. Howard made some huge plays for a freshman, and it was great to see A.J. place confidence in him. And it was wonderful to see Jalston Fowler and Kenyon Drake run the ball so effectively. T.J. Yeldon played great as expected, although it was disappointing to see him draw an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after his touchdown. Uncharacteristic for him, and I doubt if we’ll see him make that mistake again. Nice to see Kenny Bell take one to the house! So glad he decided to stay with the team. I imagine he feels like he made the right choice now. Also, we had great play calling today. Opened it up when we had to, then ran the ball and used up clock when we had a good lead. A.J. McCarron proved that he now deserves to be in the Heisman race. But I’m sure that’s the last thing on his mind. He’ll gladly take another National Championship over the Heisman. The guy epitomizes what it means to be a leader, a winner, and a champion. No doubt that he’s a tremendous “game manager,” but anyone who thinks that’s all he is hasn’t been watching him very much. Keep your “Johnny Football,” as great as he is. I’ll take A.J. McCarron over any QB in the country, without hesitation.

DEFENSE - C: In spite of the poor play in the secondary and 42 points given up overall, our defense played hard and made the necessary adjustments to allow our offense to get the job done. This could actually turn out to be A&M’s lowest scoring game of the entire season. That’s just how potent Manziel and their offense are. Our secondary will definitely improve under Saban. No doubt about that. We have so much talent, just young and inexperienced at spots. But I really don’t think we can accurately assess our defense based on this game. Johnny Manziel is an anomaly. He makes everyone look bad. I don’t think we’ll have the same problems against more conventional QB’s. So don’t focus on the 42 points we gave up today. I don’t think this is indicative of how good our defense really is.

SPECIAL TEAMS - B-: Struggled on kickoffs and returns. But at least we didn’t give up any punt returns or kickoff returns for TD’s. Cody Manziel (umm, Vern, that’s ManDELL thank you!) punted well, as usual. Once again, we didn’t attempt a field goal, so that can’t be assessed. But I think we’ll be fine in that area. Most importantly, our good hands team fielded the onside kick without incident to seal the victory. So we have some things to work on in the special teams department, but we were solid enough overall.

COACHING - A+: I never bought into the talk about Coach Saban having all this time to prepare for Johnny Manziel. There are rare players that come along once in a blue moon who are simply unstoppable. You can have an excellent defensive game plan and perfect schemes, but sometimes a player is just too good to stop. I was prepared for that. But Nick Saban and the coaching staff get an A+ because they figured out a way to beat Texas A&M without stopping Johnny Football. Our offense was our defense today, keeping Manziel on the sidelines to limit his damage just enough. Coach Saban proved his genius once again, demonstrating that he knows how to win games in more ways than one. His ability to keep our team focused after falling behind 14-0 in the blink of an eye is testimony to his leadership. Most teams would have been emotionally devastated and would have caved in. But with Saban at the helm, our players never doubted. The entire coaching staff deserves praise for keeping our players focused and confident today. In spite of all our defensive mistakes and the heroic plays made by Manziel, our coaching staff kept our players focused and kept them fighting. And therefore our defense made huge plays when we had to, and their unfailing effort proved to be enough in the end. Our players have complete faith in the coaches and complete faith in each other, and our coaches have complete faith in the players. That’s a winning combination, the result of the unshakable foundation of confidence and trust that Coach Saban has established at the Capstone.

So, overall… I’m thrilled with this win, and I expect our team to only get better in every area as the season progresses. Don’t overlook Ole Miss, and expect another battle to the wire when we play LSU. But I feel a lot better today than I did two weeks ago.

The bottom line is that today a very good team edged out a great individual. And while individuals win Heismans, teams win championships.  ROLL TIDE!!!

Selam

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!  

Selam, +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5517 on: September 15, 2013, 01:25:10 AM »

^After that 95 yard passing play in the 4th quarter I was really thinking there might be a late/great comeback, but it was not to be...  angel

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5518 on: September 15, 2013, 01:41:16 AM »

^After that 95 yard passing play in the 4th quarter I was really thinking there might be a late/great comeback, but it was not to be...  angel

I was scared the whole game, even when we were up 35-14. I knew what Manziel was capable of. Glad we survived.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5519 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

THAT JOHNNY FOOTBALL PLAY JUST NOW

ARE YOU SERIOUS

ELI MANNING FLASHBACK

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5520 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Hey, Asteriktos, I have a joke for you:

The 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers.

OOOOOOHHHHH!

See ya Monday.
Bungles gunna bungle Monday night

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5521 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Is Gebre alive?

lol

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5522 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:45 AM »

Gebre, 18,000+ hours of game film worked.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5523 on: September 15, 2013, 03:36:25 AM »

Slow start where they even fell behind, but the Ducks got up to speed in the second and third quarters and just flew away from Tennessee, outscoring the Volunteers 49-0 in those middle two quarters. For the game, Mariota almost set a record for most passing yards in one game by a Tennessee opponent.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:37:24 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Priestless Old Belief
Jurisdiction: Betwixt Antioch and familiarity

"The Emperor Alexander died at Taganrog."

« Reply #5524 on: September 15, 2013, 06:07:52 AM »

So this is where you guys do that sports thing, eh?

I can't say I know all that much about football but I went to my graduating high school's game today. A little out of my element but surprisingly enjoyable. Wasn't sure what was going on at times but enjoyable nonetheless.

Our team won 28-0.

Quote from: Leo Tolstoy to Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich
[W]hatever was hidden behind the name of the hermit Feodor . . . let historical evidence fail to connect Alexander with Kuzmich, the Legend lives in all its beauty and sincerity.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #5525 on: September 16, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »

I was scared the whole game, even when we were up 35-14. I knew what Manziel was capable of. Glad we survived.

Selam

Congrats. I was pulling for you. Kinda want a Bama/UGA rematch in the SEC title game. And I just dont like Manziel.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5526 on: September 16, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »

Here we go, Steelers, here we go!

(where we're going I'm not sure)

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #5527 on: September 16, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »

3 and out. That's where we are going.  Angry

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5528 on: September 16, 2013, 09:11:45 PM »

Troy had a tackle in the game, and then they went to break so I switched to another channel, and on that one I saw Troy in a shampoo commercial. Troy truly can do it all.  Smiley

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #5529 on: September 16, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »

It is going to be a loooong season for Pittsburgh.  Sad

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5530 on: September 16, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »

Maybe we'll stink and get a good RB. We haven't had a franchise one since Mendenhall Parker Bettis.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #5531 on: September 16, 2013, 11:29:43 PM »

Maybe we'll stink and get a good RB. We haven't had a franchise one since Mendenhall Parker Bettis.
We could also use a good WR

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #5532 on: September 17, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »

Smiley

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5533 on: September 17, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »

His name is Leveon Bell

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5534 on: September 17, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »

We could also use a good WR
There names are Wheaton and Moye

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: