OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:05:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 436795 times) Average Rating: 5
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5400 on: July 13, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »

Who was the first guy in sports to think it'd be a good idea to show approval by patting a guy on the butt? What was the thinking process there? And who were the first people to say "Hey, maybe that guy is on to something with this butt patting thing!" ...?

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5401 on: July 16, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »

The Raiders have tentative plans for a stadium that will cost close to a billion dollars, yet will have about half the standard seats of a current pro facility.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5402 on: July 16, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »

The Steelers built their new stadium for a relatively small amount ($281 million; it would cost $364 million today according to wiki), but now find themselves needing to add seats to the current 65,000 capacity. I see the Raiders are also going to look to the public to put in a huge chunk of the money. Anyway, why is it that the Steelers could build a 65k capacity facility for $364 million while Oakland can only manage 50k seats for $800 million? Admittedly, Heinz has the absolute worst playing surface in the NFL (an issue made worse by all the non-NFL sports that take place), but that's gotta be a drop in the bucket in terms of overall cost...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:59:04 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5403 on: July 16, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »

The Steelers built their new stadium for a relatively small amount ($281 million; it would cost $364 million today according to wiki), but now find themselves needing to add seats to the current 65,000 capacity. I see the Raiders are also going to look to the public to put in a huge chunk of the money. Anyway, why is it that the Steelers could build a 65k capacity facility for $364 million while Oakland can only manage 50k seats for $800 million? Admittedly, Heinz has the absolute worst playing surface in the NFL (an issue made worse by all the non-NFL sports that take place), but that's gotta be a drop in the bucket in terms of overall cost...

Think, "California".

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5404 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »

Best pic:

Bahahahahahahahahahaha.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5405 on: July 24, 2013, 02:36:05 AM »

This is wild! This article speculates that A-Rod could get a lifetime ban from Major League Baseball for his alleged use of performance enhancing drugs.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/23/4550554/alex-rodriguez-suspension-lifetime-ban-biogenesis/in/4314783
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5406 on: July 25, 2013, 02:14:35 AM »

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #5407 on: July 29, 2013, 03:33:14 AM »

We Like Sportz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVdca9U9LM
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:34:17 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5408 on: July 31, 2013, 01:33:47 AM »

It's just about August, and who has the best record in baseball? Oh yeah, that's right, the Pittsburgh Pirates. Bout time. 

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5409 on: July 31, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »

NFL season starts in 4 days, boys, and since OC.net only likes NFL and hockey that means this thread should be getting some traffic again.

Asteriktos, the NL Central is crazy. The Reds are better than a lot of teams in the top of their division but are third because of Pittsburgh and St. Louis.

Also my dad wants me to skip church on the one Sunday I've gotten off all summer to go see the Cardinals @ Reds.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #5410 on: July 31, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »

NFL season starts in 4 days, boys, and since OC.net only likes NFL and hockey that means this thread should be getting some traffic again.

Huh

Seems like there was a lot of traffic about (stupid) pro basketball.  (That oughta earn me a flame or two Grin).  And, yeah, after football and hockey, baseball's great!  Far more exciting than watching poker on t.v.

Asteriktos, the NL Central is crazy. The Reds are better than a lot of teams in the top of their division but are third because of Pittsburgh and St. Louis.

Huh Huh

Hmm...let's see...If "the Reds are better than a lot ( Huh Huh) of teams in the top of their division" (of which there are ONLY 2 at the moment, the Pirates and the Cards), why are they not at the top of their division?  Usually what happens is that at any given point in the season the teams that are at the top of their divisions are, at that point, the best teams in the division.  It's all about how many games a team wins vs. how many they lose.  Simple, really.  Wink  Now, if they really are a better team than the others over all, their win/loss record will reflect that eventually.  But....you knew all of that, didn't you  Wink?

Also my dad wants me to skip church on the one Sunday I've gotten off all summer to go see the Cardinals @ Reds.

Uh oh.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5411 on: July 31, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »

Huh

Seems like there was a lot of traffic about (stupid) pro basketball.  (That oughta earn me a flame or two Grin).  And, yeah, after football and hockey, baseball's great!  Far more exciting than watching poker on t.v.

Huh Huh

Hmm...let's see...If "the Reds are better than a lot ( Huh Huh) of teams in the top of their division" (of which there are ONLY 2 at the moment, the Pirates and the Cards), why are they not at the top of their division?  Usually what happens is that at any given point in the season the teams that are at the top of their divisions are, at that point, the best teams in the division.  It's all about how many games a team wins vs. how many they lose.  Simple, really.  Wink  Now, if they really are a better team than the others over all, their win/loss record will reflect that eventually.  But....you knew all of that, didn't you  Wink?

Uh oh.

Is something wrong with your reading comprehension? Well, you clearly know nothing about baseball so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you have no idea what I'm (or you're) talking about.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/

The Reds' standing (.546) is good enough to be better than the Dodgers (.543), who are at the top of their division (AL West). The Reds are better than a team at the top of its division and third in their own division, because the NL Central (which includes the team with the top standing at .604) is really good. That's what I was saying. Learn to read.

Also, hockey is dumb.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5412 on: July 31, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »

I've been having fun watching the Canadian Football League. Is this a secret plot to make me get a passport and move there?
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5413 on: July 31, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »

Huh

Huh Huh

Uh oh.

Is something wrong with your reading comprehension? Well, you clearly know nothing about baseball so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you have no idea what I'm (or you're) talking about.

The Reds' standing (.546) is good enough to be better than the Dodgers (.543), who are at the top of their division (AL West). The Reds are better than a team at the top of its division and third in their own division, because the NL Central (which includes the team with the top standing at .604) is really good. That's what I was saying. Learn to read.

Also, hockey is dumb.

My reading comprehension is just fine, William.  Had you referenced OTHER divisions in your post, it would have made more sense.

I know how to read--been doing it for far longer than you've been on the planet.  Learn to write in an unambiguous manner that cannot be misinterpreted and we'll get along just peachy-keen.

Hockey might be dumb, but it sure is fun to watch!  Tongue

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5414 on: July 31, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »

Quote from: William
Also, hockey is dumb.

Fie upon you, I say! Fie!
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #5415 on: July 31, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »

I've been thinking of picking up soccer again.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5416 on: July 31, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »

Why?

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #5417 on: July 31, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »

Why?

Why not?
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5418 on: July 31, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

Because.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5419 on: July 31, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »

Quote from: William
Also, hockey is dumb.

Fie upon you, I say! Fie!

+1

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5420 on: July 31, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »

"You either die a soccer player, or you live long enough to see yourself become a hooligan."

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5421 on: July 31, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »

Huh

Huh Huh

Uh oh.

No need to be so abrasive, William. "The Reds are better than a lot of teams in the top of their division ..." Your use of the word "their" could easily be read as referring to the Reds, and your use of the singular word "division" could easily read as referring to the Reds' division. If you had said something like, "The Reds are better than a lot of teams in the tops of their divisions ..." then it's much clearer that you're talking about other teams in other divisions, since the Reds are in only one division.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #5422 on: July 31, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »

I was somewhat of a good striker and it will help structure my life, so to say.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5423 on: July 31, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »

Huh

Huh Huh

Uh oh.

No need to be so abrasive, William. "The Reds are better than a lot of teams in the top of their division ..." Your use of the word "their" could easily be read as referring to the Reds, and your use of the singular word "division" could easily read as referring to the Reds' division. If you had said something like, "The Reds are better than a lot of teams in the tops of their divisions ..." then it's much clearer that you're talking about other teams in other divisions, since the Reds are in only one division.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5424 on: July 31, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »

There are 121,743 rules governing the NFL Pro Bowl--from how to get on a team, to how to play the game. Every rule is being changed. Well, almost.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:56:12 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5425 on: July 31, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »

After reading the rules changes for the NFL Pro Bowl, why not play it as a flag football game?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:07:13 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5426 on: August 04, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5427 on: August 04, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »

^ It's now AT&T Stadium - maybe change the meme?   Huh
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5428 on: August 05, 2013, 12:20:26 AM »

^ It's now AT&T Stadium - maybe change the meme?   Huh
AT&T Stadium - The home of dropped balls and dropped calls
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:24:13 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5429 on: August 05, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Undecided

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #5430 on: August 06, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »

Braves. 11 game win streak.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5431 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:27 PM »

Another good CFL game yesterday.

Waiting for the NFL and NHL to start. Preseasons aren't far away.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5432 on: August 06, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »

Waiting for the NFL and NHL to start. Preseasons aren't far away.

Yeah!  I'm especially looking forward to some NFL action. I mean, I like hockey, but I just saw it in June, so it's not like it was all that long ago that I was watching games. I'm sure by October I'll be craving that as well though Smiley

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5433 on: August 06, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »

I went to Cincinnati on Sunday and saw the Reds lose by 13 to the Cardinals. LOL.

Also now their standing is less than the Dodgers'. I guess the Reds suck.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:31:06 PM by William » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5434 on: August 06, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »

I went to Cincinnati on Sunday and saw the Reds lose by 13 to the Cardinals. LOL.

And...what were you saying about them earlier  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes??

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5435 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »

That their standing was better than the Dodgers'. Which it was. Then you wildly misinterpreted the post. Good times.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5436 on: August 06, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »

That their standing was better than the Dodgers'. Which it was. Then you wildly misinterpreted the post. Good times.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

That's right--because my reading comprehension is so appalling; because I need to learn how to read.  You betcha, Sunshine. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5437 on: August 07, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »

So you're incapable of drafting a post whose meaning is unclear?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5438 on: August 07, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »

I like minor league baseball.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5439 on: August 07, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »

I've never had much of a chance to watch minor league ball. There is a AA team that's affiliated with the Pirates near where I lived for a half dozen years (Altoona, PA), but they didn't start up until after I had moved away, so I only ever got to one of their games. I did go to quite a few minor league hockey (ECHL) Johnstown Chiefs games when I was a teenager though. Team usually stunk, but it was good fun.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5440 on: August 07, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »

I like minor league baseball.

Well, the tickets are certainly cheaper.  And the beer.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5441 on: August 07, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »

IDK why you're getting on me. JM is the one who brought it up again. I like to leave the past in the past. He always likes to give his two cents, though.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5442 on: August 07, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »

And...what were you saying about them earlier  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes??

IDK why you're getting on me.
Because you're acting like an arrogant jerk whose poop doesn't stink.

JM is the one who brought it up again.
So what?

I like to leave the past in the past.
You didn't have to answer him.

He always likes to give his two cents, though.
Just as you always like to have the last word? Wink
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:01:57 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5443 on: August 07, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »

IDK why you're getting on me. JM is the one who brought it up again.
So what?

I don't always like to have the last word. See the Serious Question thread.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5444 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »

IDK why you're getting on me. JM is the one who brought it up again.
So what?

I don't always like to have the last word. See the Serious Question thread.
See the modifications to my last post.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: