OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:04:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 404089 times) Average Rating: 5
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2007, 01:08:28 PM »

Dan,

I sense a Tony Romo comment coming any minute from Welkodox.  :'(

I actually felt bad for the guy, though it was nice to see the Cowboys lose.  I think the rule with the K Balls should go.

(pro sucks, bunc of egotistical maniacs)

Like who, Saban?  Wait, he's back in college.

At least they have a real way of figuring out who won the championship.  Between the bowl system and the sham of the coaches polls, I don't know who can take the college game seriously.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »

Hockey: Detroit Redwings  (duh. And we got a nice Greek boy on the team too! Smiley )
My wife is from Detroit, that is reason enough to despise the wings.   Wink

Hockey Town MY FOOT!  Every civilized and self respecting person knows that Toronto is the ONLY right to claim itself as HOCKEY TOWN on the planet!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:13:27 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
AMM
Archon

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2007, 01:16:55 PM »

Here is Canada's contribution to world culture

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »

Don't diss Don because even the New Englanders love him!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 01:22:07 PM »

Hey, I'm a huge Yankees fan. One of the greatest days of my entire life was October 26, 1996, when the Yankees defeated the Braves and won the World Series for the first time in my lifetime.

One of the other greatest days of my life was July 18, 1999, when my favorite pitcher, David Cone, pitching for my favorite team, the Yankees, twirled a perfect game.

One of the other greatest days of my life was the night of October 16, 2003, when Aaron Boone hit a home run that made Bucky Dent's look insignificant.

-

Part of the reason why I still like the Red Sox, perhaps, is that I love the rivalry. It's great to have a strong Boston team because it gives our Yankees a challenge. And perhaps there's an element of pity after all those past (and coming) years of futility Wink
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »

For my good friend welkodox.  http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/coachs-corner.html

A little Cherry for your sundae.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2007, 01:39:30 PM »

My wife is from Detroit, that is reason enough to despise the wings.   Wink

Hockey Town MY FOOT!  Every civilized and self respecting person knows that Toronto is the ONLY right to claim itself as HOCKEY TOWN on the planet!

Awwww, and we have been getting along so well.  I can see that changing now.  Tongue

I was born in Montreal, so you know where my loyalties are.  Grin

The only other sport I follow would be Soccer/Football and that would have to be the Udinese Calcio.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:39:46 PM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
AMM
Archon

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 01:51:52 PM »

Part of the reason why I still like the Red Sox, perhaps, is that I love the rivalry. It's great to have a strong Boston team because it gives our Yankees a challenge. And perhaps there's an element of pity after all those past (and coming) years of futility

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt...  You've now moved on to rationalizing your illness.  You need help.  Professional help.  Please, we all want what's best for you and it's tearing us up inside to see what's happening to you.  Come on, before it's too late.

The tragedy SS99 is he is much more entertaining than the game itself.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »

Baseball: New York Yankees. Second: Boston Red Sox

Lord Have Mercy!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »

Awwww, and we have been getting along so well.  I can see that changing now.  Tongue

I was born in Montreal, so you know where my loyalties are.  Grin

The only other sport I follow would be Soccer/Football and that would have to be the Udinese Calcio.

Well, you've got to be introduced to Pravoslavbob... he's a Senators fan (and he lives in the Canadian capital - although for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of that little village  Wink)

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »

Long live the memory of the 2004 WC Boston Red Sox...and damn that traitor Johnny who when over to the Dark Empire...

james

love that dirty water,the Red Sox Nation and Yaz...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2007, 04:21:50 PM »

Hockey:  Maine Black Bears

Football (American):  New England Patriots

Baseball:  Boston Red Sox

Basketball:  Boston Celtics. I guess. I don't really like Basketball.

Soccer/Football: Ack! Soccer!

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2007, 05:34:26 PM »

when my favorite pitcher, David Cone, pitching for my favorite team, the Yankees, twirled a perfect game.

that jerk could (or is it would) never do that pitching for the Royals. 

I hate the friggin' Yankees!!!! Angry

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2007, 05:36:40 PM »

and damn that traitor Johnny who when over to the Dark Empire...

How about damn him for betraying Kansas City?! Sad

Scamandrius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2007, 06:07:06 PM »

that jerk could (or is it would) never do that pitching for the Royals. 

I hate the friggin' Yankees!!!! Angry

Scamandrius

Hey, I beg to differ. He was excellent his two seasons with Kansas City. The first year he got no run support, and his second year, the strike-shortened one, he won the Cy Young. He pitched a one-hit shutout against the Angels that year that was almost as good as the perfect game. He faced 29 batters and only allowed a single from Chili Davis. And that game was his third straight complete-game shutout.

Unfortunately, the Royals promptly traded him back to the Blue Jays. That poor team has not had an ownership that has any desire to win since Kauffman died.

We all remember where Johnny Damon came from. And Kevin Appier. And Carlos Beltran. . .

Oh, and David Cone came from Kansas City too---traded to the Mets for Ed Hearn (who?) back in 1987. Kauffman said it was the worst trade blunder he ever made, and he rectified it by signing Cone in '93. Then as soon as he was dead, Cone was shipped out again.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 06:10:26 PM by lubeltri » Logged
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »

That poor team has not had an ownership that has any desire to win since Kauffman died.

We all remember where Johnny Damon came from. And Kevin Appier. And Carlos Beltran. . .

I suppose that it's my frustration that's causing all my spats.  So much talent has come through KC but no one knows how to put it all together to win.  Pitching has been the absolute bane of the KC organization for the last 10 years.  I can't remember the last time we had a 15 game winner (possibly Byrd, I can't remember t hough).  But you're right--the current ownership just wants to make itself money and not care about winning.  If the fans were smart--they would not show up for games. Leave the stands empty for a couple of games then maybe someone will get the point. 

Also, these athletes' agents always seem to steer them away from KC as soon as possible.  I mean who wants to play for a perpetual non-contender?

Still, I never saw David Cone back in the 90s pitch like he did with the Yankees.  He always seemed to be taken out of games early and was never consistent.  I'll have to check more on his stats.

Scamandrius

AMM
Archon

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2007, 10:29:33 AM »

Small market teams can't compete with the big ones, and I think KC is if not the smallest, is close to smallest in market and therefore revenue size.  That's another reason why I don't pay attention to Baseball.  The NFL, through the salary cap, has definitely been able to maintain a level playing field among all the teams that has translated directly in to all teams being able to effectively compete, no matter the market size.

Also, I'm changing my favorite soccer team to Red Spork Belgrade too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:31:16 AM by welkodox » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »

Just want to remind everyone

GO COLTS!

Joseph
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2007, 11:35:06 AM »

I suppose that it's my frustration that's causing all my spats.  So much talent has come through KC but no one knows how to put it all together to win.  Pitching has been the absolute bane of the KC organization for the last 10 years.  I can't remember the last time we had a 15 game winner (possibly Byrd, I can't remember t hough).  But you're right--the current ownership just wants to make itself money and not care about winning.  If the fans were smart--they would not show up for games. Leave the stands empty for a couple of games then maybe someone will get the point. 

Also, these athletes' agents always seem to steer them away from KC as soon as possible.  I mean who wants to play for a perpetual non-contender?

Still, I never saw David Cone back in the 90s pitch like he did with the Yankees.  He always seemed to be taken out of games early and was never consistent.  I'll have to check more on his stats.

Scamandrius

Well, Cone is a big-game pitcher, and he didn't get to pitch in any big games in Kansas City. Still, he was more than fine in his two seasons there.

Here's his 1993 game log: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=coneda01&t=p&year=1993
He went 11-14, but he had a very good 3.33 ERA over 254 innings. 2.93 runs of support will do that to you. Perhaps your impression came from home games---Cone's ERA at home was 4.05, on the road 2.62.

His 1994 game log is here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=coneda01&year=1994&t=p
This year he went 16-5 with a 2.94 ERA and won the Cy Young Award.

He was more of a workhorse then. I remember him throwing 166 pitches in a complete game win, in the rain, over the Giants in 1992. This was before his aneurysm in 1996. He was plagued with the effects of that and many other physical problems (knees, hips, shoulder), not to mention age, with the Yankees. It was a real struggle. He broke 200 innings only once after that aneurysm. And that year he was getting cortisone shots all season and didn't warm up between starts for fear he wouldn't be able to lift his arm above his shoulder when it came time to pitch. But he pitched great most of the time when he was on the mound for the Yankees, especially in big games.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »

Small market teams can't compete with the big ones, and I think KC is if not the smallest, is close to smallest in market and therefore revenue size.  That's another reason why I don't pay attention to Baseball.  The NFL, through the salary cap, has definitely been able to maintain a level playing field among all the teams that has translated directly in to all teams being able to effectively compete, no matter the market size.

The luxury tax has certainly improved the situation since the 1990s. Consider the recent World Series winners:

2000: Yankees
2001: Diamondbacks
2002: Angels
2003: Marlins
2004: Red Sox
2005: White Sox
2006: Cardinals

That's seven different teams in seven seasons. I think the NFL is the model and that there is still much work to be done---small-market teams still are in a position where they can't afford to make any major mistakes, while a team like the Yankees can write off bad trades and signings and just go buy somebody else---but I'm glad to see the improved competitive balance. In the last seven years, we have seen two teams win for the first time ever and two teams win for the first time since the First World War.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »

Also, I'm changing my favorite soccer team to Red Spork Belgrade too.

I can't believe I missed this and have let is slide today.

<Currently using all of my legal resources to locate welkodox and send him a Red STAR greeting party, to show him some love - Serbian style>  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
AMM
Archon

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2007, 01:06:24 PM »

The luxury tax has certainly improved the situation since the 1990s. Consider the recent World Series winners:

2000: Yankees
2001: Diamondbacks
2002: Angels
2003: Marlins
2004: Red Sox
2005: White Sox
2006: Cardinals

It has gotten better.

<Currently using all of my legal resources to locate welkodox and send him a Red STAR greeting party, to show him some love - Serbian style>

Just watch Dog the Bounty Hunter, I think the one I appear in will be replayed this season.

Anathema!

On every innovation and action contrary to the tradition of the Church, and the teaching and pattern of the holy and celebrated Fathers, or anything to do with the Dallas Cowboys
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2007, 02:11:53 PM »

Chicago > Polonia = DA Bears...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2007, 02:24:47 PM »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:27:56 PM by welkodox » Logged
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2007, 03:12:53 PM »

I suppose that it's my frustration that's causing all  If the fans were smart--they would not show up for games. Leave the stands empty for a couple of games then maybe someone will get the point. 

Hey now, do you think there might possibly be a message here for Leaf fans, SouthSerb? Wink

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »

Hey, I'm a huge Yankees fan.

How sad for you, my friend.  But as Welkodox has pointed out, there is help.  Wink

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2007, 03:20:22 PM »

I was never really a big baseball fan while living in Toronto (even though the Jays won two consecutive world series).  However, when I moved to NYC and went to a Yankee game (sitting in the bleachers) and that was it... I was convinced into cheering for them.

Once they started the pre-game "roll call" I was hooked.  So that is how you become a Cowboy and Yankee fan. LOL

Wha?  You what?   Shocked  Oh yeah, that makes total sense.  Geez.   Roll Eyes

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2007, 03:22:56 PM »

It has gotten better.

Can't believe the Cardinals won it all after having prevailed in just 83 regular season contests.  Pretty weird.  Or else Tony LaRussa really knows how to get things from his players when he needs to.  Or a combination of the above.

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2007, 03:23:11 PM »

Hey now, do you think there might possibly be a message here for Leaf fans, SouthSerb? Wink

Well, it might, since he wasn't talking about the playoffs, because we all know what happens when a certain team from Ottawa gets to the playoffs.

Winners they are nottawa, so bad I forgottawa.  Grin

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2007, 03:25:05 PM »

Well, it might, since he wasn't talking about the playoffs, because we all know what happens when a certain team from Ottawa gets to the playoffs.

You mean like the time they came within a goal of the Stanley Cup final in 2003?   Grin

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2007, 03:34:33 PM »

Boban (that would be your Serbian name - lol),

How about 2002, do you remember 2002?  Here, let me refresh your recollection.  http://youtube.com/watch?v=nsWvzylr-go&mode=related&search=

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
AMM
Archon

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2007, 03:36:46 PM »

Stay tuned for the great Canadian hockey film Power Play here on SCTV. ...
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2007, 06:02:30 PM »

Can't believe the Cardinals won it all after having prevailed in just 83 regular season contests.  Pretty weird.  Or else Tony LaRussa really knows how to get things from his players when he needs to.  Or a combination of the above.

Or Detroit just really sucked or took money!  There is no way St. Louis can win a World Series on their own merits; they must have had help! Shocked

Scamandrius
Loyal KC fan (though that has nothing to do with my opinion) Wink

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »

Just want to remind everyone

GO BEARS!

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2007, 07:34:42 PM »

Or Detroit just really sucked or took money!  There is no way St. Louis can win a World Series on their own merits; they must have had help! Shocked

That just goes to show you how crazy and unpredictable baseball can be. Detroit steamrolled an already superior American League (which dominated the NL in interleague play last year) and looked like the 1927 Yankees against the 2006 Yanks in the Division Series, yet they go on to quickly drop the World Series to an 83-game winner.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2007, 11:04:46 PM »

Hockey - the Pittsburgh Penguins (hockey is also by far and away my favorite sport); quite a blessed city to get to see first Lemieux, then Jagr and Kovalev, and now Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Fleury! And don't forget those 2 Stanley Cups in 91 and 92!

Football - dem Stillers (that's Picksburgeese) (I was at the "Immaculate Reception" game with my dad in '72; and yes, you CAN be a good Orthodox and believe in the Immaculate RECEPTION!)

Baseball - regular season - the Pirates (I am old enough to remember my older brother and sister going to the World Series in 1960 and it being such a big deal; I was a junior in high school when they won it in '71 and attending a protestant seminary when Willi Stargell's "Family" won it in 1980; I have to now pick a team to root for each year in the post-season)

Basketball - the University of Pittsburgh

soccer - sorry, just never played and seldom watch it

college - Robert Morris University is in their 3rd season with a NCAA D-I men's hockey team and they are coming along quite well. Maybe in ten years they can get to a "Frozen Four"

college - otherwise, University of Pittsburgh

Oh, and I will have to root for the Colts in the Superbowl. Tony Dungy - the ex-Steeler and Chuck Noll protege. I also like Payton Manning.

Sorry , I am a very parochial, hometown guy!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:06:10 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Calak

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOCC-Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Слава Ісусу Христу! Слава Навіки!

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2007, 02:00:20 AM »

Hockey---Hometown Calgary Flames

Football---nfl-Saints...cfl---saskatchewan roughriders

Baseball---Jays

Soccer---AC. Milan (if I ever watch...)

Христос Посеред Нас-Є І Буде
Christ Is Among Us! He Is And Always Shall Be!
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »

Hockey---Hometown Calgary Flames

Can we get some professional therapy in aisle 1 please??

I wasn't aware we let Calgarians on here.....didn't I see something about this in the Forum regulations??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »

Can we get some professional therapy in aisle 1 please??

I wasn't aware we let Calgarians on here.....didn't I see something about this in the Forum regulations??

Aha!  I've just solved a mystery.  Clearly Postolowka made the following video. http://youtube.com/watch?v=4-LzM9fMS-0

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2007, 01:47:25 PM »

Never been east of Wainwright, but great song!

Not the YouTube Video I star in though. Tongue

AMM
Archon

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »

Go Red Spork Belgrade!
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »

BLASPHEMY!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2007, 03:19:33 PM »

And this one too!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
AMM
Archon

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2007, 03:54:58 PM »

Now children are being indoctrinated in to sporkism.  This must stop!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2007, 01:33:32 AM »

The Pens beat Dallas in a shootout. I think this is the first time Fleury has stopped every shooter.
If the Penguins start winning shootouts (instead of regularly losing them) lookout! They will be in the playoff hunt.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: