OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:36:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 399527 times) Average Rating: 5
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4320 on: October 30, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

. Also, soccer goalies use their hands whenever they want.

So ha.

Don't forget Saurez Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

What he did was wrong, but I think most of us (including me) would've done the same without thinking. His national pride was on the line, and while he got kicked out of the match...he ultimately won them the game.

It is national pride to cheat? That is some pride  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie

?? He was ejected, his team was forced to play down a man, and the Ghanaians were given a gimme goal. Not only that, he was also suspended for the next game. He served his sentence and you should let it go. It wasn't Suarez's fault that Ghana couldn't capitalize.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4321 on: October 30, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

?? He was ejected, his team was forced to play down a man, and the Ghanaians were given a gimme goal. Not only that, he was also suspended for the next game. He served his sentence and you should let it go. It wasn't Suarez's fault that Ghana couldn't capitalize.

That is true, but character means a lot to me. If that were just a group stage game, I would easily have let it go.  But that was a ranking match, and in those do or die situations any on-goal kick is significant, so to cheat against what was a clear goal is reprehensible. Yes, the brother was ejected, yes Ghana ended up losing fairly by missing their free-kick but still, EVERY American school kid even with their limited understanding of soccer knows there is really just ONE rule, DON'T TOUCH THE BALL.  Further, the guy is about the worst flopper in international play, so that was just the straw that broke the camel's back.  Justice in this incident than is more than just a single suspension or ejection, rather, I will not hold this single incident against him forever, rather I will just never support him as an athlete and this is just one of my several reasons for such.  Honorable mention too Jason "The Jet" Terry too, Lebron is gonna school ya tonight yo Wink

Well, Rugby came from Football (Soccer), and American Football came from Rugby League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

P.S. Why do people call it 'European' Football? Considering it is the most popular football in the WORLD, not just Europe.

While soccer is indeed the most popular played sport, the NFL still competes even internationally as the world's most elite spectator sport, and the NBA is suddenly swooping up internationally too.  There are more amateur and small-time leagues for soccer, but the European league soccer is too divided so is still not quite the NFL, internationally its not even the NBA  yet Wink

I would say that Euro league soccer is like American college football, very popular locally, some national spotlights, but overall, the NFL is a behemoth.  The NBA is the diamond standard for basketball internationally.  When Euro league soccer reaches that level, then we can start calling soccer "football" and calling the rest "American" football.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:05:10 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4322 on: October 30, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »

Well, Rugby came from Football (Soccer), and American Football came from Rugby League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

P.S. Why do people call it 'European' Football? Considering it is the most popular football in the WORLD, not just Europe.

While soccer is indeed the most popular played sport, the NFL still competes even internationally as the world's most elite spectator sport, and the NBA is suddenly swooping up internationally too.  There are more amateur and small-time leagues for soccer, but the European league soccer is too divided so is still not quite the NFL, internationally its not even the NBA  yet Wink

I would say that Euro league soccer is like American college football, very popular locally, some national spotlights, but overall, the NFL is a behemoth.  The NBA is the diamond standard for basketball internationally.  When Euro league soccer reaches that level, then we can start calling soccer "football" and calling the rest "American" football.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I would say the UEFA Champions League would qualify as a both a behemoth and a diamond.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:47:55 PM by sheenj » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4323 on: October 30, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »

Garbage.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #4324 on: October 30, 2012, 09:37:27 PM »

While soccer is indeed the most popular played sport, the NFL still competes even internationally as the world's most elite spectator sport, and the NBA is suddenly swooping up internationally too.  There are more amateur and small-time leagues for soccer, but the European league soccer is too divided so is still not quite the NFL, internationally its not even the NBA  yet Wink

I would say that Euro league soccer is like American college football, very popular locally, some national spotlights, but overall, the NFL is a behemoth.  The NBA is the diamond standard for basketball internationally.  When Euro league soccer reaches that level, then we can start calling soccer "football" and calling the rest "American" football.

Ever heard of the English Premier League? It is the most watched sports league in the world. Wink

There are many more professional teams for soccer-football, because every country has its own league, and that is the way it should be. Should it not? The EPL, La Liga, and Bundesliga compete with America's NFL perfectly fine, and leave them in the dust for participation AND popularity as a spectator sport. Their average salaries are even higher than NFL salaries, in the big European Leagues. The top 4 teams of all sports with the highest salaries are soccer-football clubs (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, and Manchester City).

Bigger countries have better leagues, better leagues have bigger teams, bigger teams have more popularity. The most watched sport world wide is what? Soccer-Football, by far.

No one outside of North America cares too much about the NFL outside of the Super Bowl. The comparison isn't even there. Literally, the NFL really isn't regularly televised in most countries.

I appreciate American Football, but it does not even touch Soccer-Football on international popularity. Honestly, Basketball is much more popular than American Football internationally. And yes, that means the NBA is more watched than the NFL.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:44:56 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4325 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »

I recant my statements about EPL, I didn't realize they had amassed such a huge viewership.  I'd still wager that for any given game, in a domestic market (i.e. US vs EU) the NFL can compete with English Premier or any other league.  And you're right, NBA is climbing up there too internationally.  I've heard of numbers like 240,000,000 followers of the NBA..

Speaking of which.  Take that you green goblin Celtics!  Heat beat Celtics East/A so hopefully the Lakers can come through and beat Celtics West/B (Dallas) tonight.  Haha Jason Terry, you looked silly.  Ray Allen, suddenly explosive!  And I am not at all surprised about the spectacular night Barbosa had, I loved him in Phoenix and he was just WAITING to find a PG of Steve Nash's caliber to start bossing up again.  Tonight we saw that.  Its too bad Celtics always have such a bad attitude, they really do play great ball.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4326 on: October 30, 2012, 10:53:45 PM »

I recant my statements about EPL, I didn't realize they had amassed such a huge viewership.  I'd still wager that for any given game, in a domestic market (i.e. US vs EU) the NFL can compete with English Premier or any other league.  And you're right, NBA is climbing up there too internationally.  I've heard of numbers like 240,000,000 followers of the NBA..

Speaking of which.  Take that you green goblin Celtics!  Heat beat Celtics East/A so hopefully the Lakers can come through and beat Celtics West/B (Dallas) tonight.  Haha Jason Terry, you looked silly.  Ray Allen, suddenly explosive!  And I am not at all surprised about the spectacular night Barbosa had, I loved him in Phoenix and he was just WAITING to find a PG of Steve Nash's caliber to start bossing up again.  Tonight we saw that.  Its too bad Celtics always have such a bad attitude, they really do play great ball.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Go count the number of fans of just Manchester United worldwide vs. the number of NFL fans worldwide...there are more United fans alone. If you count the European Cup (Champions League) as a league, it blows everything out of the water, maybe even the World Cup, but certainly NFL.

Wait, who are the Celtics? Huh
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:54:29 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4327 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »

I'm watching the NBA right now. U mad? Come at me bro. Lettuce be real tea. Wait wut? GJDM.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4328 on: October 31, 2012, 01:26:47 AM »

The Gold Gloves are out, and it's nice to see one go to a young man who played his high school ball for nearby Westview High School of Beaverton and his college ball for Oregon State: Chicago Cub second baseman Darwin Barney (the first Cub second baseman to win the award for defensive excellence at his position since the great Ryne Sandberg won his ninth in 1991).
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4329 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »

Oh, that's right, Europeans just like to be annoying. Forgot that.

Biro!  Cry

Yeah, harsh. No need!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4330 on: October 31, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »

McCutchen won a gold glove. Who says the Pirates can't win anything?  police
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4331 on: October 31, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »

An effigy of Lance Armstrong will be burned during an English town's bonfire celebrations, reports say.

According to the Associated Press, a 30-foot effigy of Armstrong -- who was recently stripped of his numerous Tour de France titles for doping offenses -- will be burned during Edenbridge's renowned Bonfire Night.

Every year, the event's organizers choose a celebrity to be burned in effigy. In 2011, the unfortunate celeb was soccer player Mario Balotelli. The Manchester City striker had made headlines earlier that year for setting off a firework in his own bathroom, according to the Guardian
According to Agence France-Presse (AFP), revelers across Britain "celebrate with bonfires and fireworks on or around November 5 to mark a failed 1605 plot to blow up parliament and kill king James I."

Traditionally, writes the AFP, an effigy -- which "for centuries represented Catholic rebel Guy Fawkes, the leader of the so-called Gunpowder Plot" -- is burned.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:30:19 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #4332 on: November 01, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »

Biro!  Cry

Yeah, harsh. No need!

As if the English are Europeans...

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4333 on: November 01, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »

Biro!  Cry

Yeah, harsh. No need!

Orthodox11 is actually a Norwegian, he's just living in England. Wink

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4334 on: November 01, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »

37 points, 12 assists, 4 blocks, 2 steals, Harden had one of the best team-debuts for any player in NBA history! Not only that, but he and Jeremy Lin dominated the floor.  The Thunder may have many regrets, and the Rockets surely have none, but I still think OKC can contend.  I think they should have kept Harden until next season, after all he was still under contract for this season, but obviously Sam Presti thought otherwise.  This is another incident like Dolan and the Knicks where management makes a bonehead decision, supposedly out of business, and yet a business blunder.  How may Linsanity jeresies and t-shirts and merch did the Knicks sell? How many fake beards were in the stands in Oklahoma?  Lin and Harden were big money draws for fans.  Even if they happened to be terrible on the court (which they're not!!) these guys are fan favorites.  Harden was worth the luxury tax for that kind of national support alone, same thing with Lin, let alone that these guys have both had some impacting debuts on their teams.  Presti and Dolan must be looking at Houston and saying, "Wow!"  Dolan all the more because look at how great Denver is doing since the Melo disaster too, it you're wondering where the good Knicks from the early 2010/11 season were, they're balling it up on the Nuggets.  How are the Knicks doing? Oh right Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #4335 on: November 01, 2012, 03:32:58 PM »

Biro!  Cry

Yeah, harsh. No need!

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4336 on: November 01, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

Football League Cup: Manchester United 4 -5 Chelsea

But we call it the 'useless' cup for a reason, no one cares. In order of importance for Man United: English Premier League > European Cup > FA Cup > League Cup

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-And-Results/Match-Reports/2012/Oct/chelsea-v-manchester-united-capital-one-cup-report.aspx
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:07:45 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4337 on: November 01, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

Biro!  Cry

Yeah, harsh. No need!

A little lot more recent than viking raids/settlements. laugh
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:09:23 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4338 on: November 01, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »

College basketball season is starting up, with my three local teams (IU, UK, UofL) ranked in the top 3.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:13:06 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4339 on: November 03, 2012, 11:54:56 PM »

The crappiest ending to an American Football game I've ever seen. Wow.

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4340 on: November 04, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »

I'm still catching my breath. It will take me a while before I can compose my thoughts. For now, all I can say is that you guys gave us all we could handle, and more. I still don't know how we pulled it out. I told my children midway through the 4th quarter, when I really thought you guys had the game in hand, that this was one of the greatest games I've ever watched. LSU played great on both sides of the ball, and Mettenburger finally lived up to all the expectations. More later, but you have my congratulations on a tremendous game. That was a classic. I think the difference in the game was coaching. Nick Saban didn't necessarily win it, but Miles probably lost it. I'm spent. The SEC won tonight, that's for sure. Nothing like our conference.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4341 on: November 04, 2012, 01:16:44 AM »

I'm still catching my breath. It will take me a while before I can compose my thoughts. For now, all I can say is that you guys gave us all we could handle, and more. I still don't know how we pulled it out. I told my children midway through the 4th quarter, when I really thought you guys had the game in hand, that this was one of the greatest games I've ever watched. LSU played great on both sides of the ball, and Mettenburger finally lived up to all the expectations. More later, but you have my congratulations on a tremendous game. That was a classic. I think the difference in the game was coaching. Nick Saban didn't necessarily win it, but Miles probably lost it. I'm spent. The SEC won tonight, that's for sure. Nothing like our conference.

Selam
The Ducks also got their first real challenge of the year with a feisty USC team playing at home. The Ducks couldn't stop USC's offense, allowing the Trojans to gain 615 yards of total offense (484 coming from the arm of QB Matt Barkley, who also threw 5 TD passes against 2 picks), but the Ducks prevailed by totaling more yards (730) and scoring more points (62) than any other opponent had ever scored against USC. For the game, SoCal native Kenjon Barner rushed for a Duck record 321 yards w/ 5 TDs, and Duck QB Marcus Mariota completed 20 of 23 passes for 304 yards and 4 TDs with no interceptions.

Oregon 62, USC 51

(Goof ball stat of the game: USC and Oregon punted the ball only once each.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:27:03 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4342 on: November 04, 2012, 01:49:50 AM »

DAMN! Shocked UCLA is just DESTROYING Arizona tonight! With 5:47 left in the ballgame, the Bruins are up 66-10. That's not going to help the Ducks in the BCS standings, since the Ducks played Arizona but don't have UCLA on their schedule.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:50:58 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4343 on: November 04, 2012, 02:05:56 AM »

Selam
The Ducks also got their first real challenge of the year with a feisty USC team playing at home. The Ducks couldn't stop USC's offense, allowing the Trojans to gain 615 yards of total offense (484 coming from the arm of QB Matt Barkley, who also threw 5 TD passes against 2 picks), but the Ducks prevailed by totaling more yards (730) and scoring more points (62) than any other opponent had ever scored against USC. For the game, SoCal native Kenjon Barner rushed for a Duck record 321 yards w/ 5 TDs, and Duck QB Marcus Mariota completed 20 of 23 passes for 304 yards and 4 TDs with no interceptions.

Oregon 62, USC 51

Wow! Barnburner!

A BAMA v Oregon game would be fun to watch. And right now, I don't feel real confident about playing your offense. We have some things to work on.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #4344 on: November 04, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »

It's been a great weekend for college football, to be sure--just toss out Friday night, when Washington beat woeful Cal 21-13.  The Big XII, SEC, and Notre Dame were centers of attention; notable was K-State hammering Okie St., Texas overpowering Texas Tech 32-21, and the surprise of the day, TCU pulling one out of the fire against West Virginia 39-38, in triple overtime.  This time, the gods of overtime were on the Frogs' side, when they gambled on a 2-point conversion and pulled it off.

Another surprise was Notre Dame.  They should have been able to dispose of Pitt easily, but struggled when they Panthers just wouldn't quit.

Not so surprising was Oregon outshooting USC; those two will meet again in the playoff in Eugene, with probably the same result.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 02:13:31 AM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4345 on: November 04, 2012, 02:11:41 AM »

Selam

Oregon 62, USC 51

Oh, and the Beavers of Oregon State got back on the winning track by recovering from a terrible first quarter to beat Arizona State 36-26.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4346 on: November 04, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »

A RISING TIDE
by GMK

[Saturday night, November 3, 2012]

I just watched the best college football game that I may have ever seen. Words cannot do it justice, but I will offer my humble thoughts nonetheless:

Our Crimson Tide went into the Bayou and was fed all the Gumbo it could handle. After being outplayed for nearly two quarters, BAMA managed to put together a late second quarter touchdown drive that put us up 14-3 at the half. Against most opponents, that would have been a dagger in the heart. But this is the SEC, and this was LSU - at night, in the Bayou. As much as I get sick of hearing about the LSU “Gris Gris” magic that engulfs the nighttime atmosphere at Tiger Stadium, there seems to be some validity to it. And to throw some extra Cayenne pepper into the roux, consider that LSU and their fans had been preparing for 10 months to exact revenge for the 21-0 drubbing that we handed them in last year’s National Championship game.

The LSU Tigers came out in the second half so starved that they dared to prey on Elephants. They were hunting for some Pachyderm meat to toss into their empty kettle. Zach Mettenberger finally lived up to all the expectations, slicing and dicing the vaunted BAMA defense with pinpoint passes. And unlike the first half, this time his receivers didn’t drop the ball. The LSU running backs were also able to find chunks of valuable yardage in between the aerial assault, like potatoes in the crawfish boil. The Tigers stopped the potent TIDE offense repeatedly on “three and outs”, and before BAMA could catch its breath, we were behind 17-14 in the fourth quarter. They call it “Death Valley” for a reason.

It was time for the questions that had been hovering over this heralded Alabama team all season to finally be answered. Did we have the requisite character, strength, and leadership to persevere when our backs were against the wall? Could we stay afloat in the Bayou morass and overcome the Cajun curses? It was ebb tide for most of the game. The Zydeco bands were warming up, and the Jambalaya was simmering to perfection. But could the mystical mixture of voodoo hexes, nighttime revelry, and crazy Cajuns repress the inevitability of a perpetually rising TIDE?

LSU kept our incessant hopes alive with a botched fake field goal, a poorly executed onside kick, and a negated rushing attempt on fourth down. The “Mad Hatter” puts great athletes on the field, and they always compete hard. But like a neophyte New Orleans chef, the Tiger coach sometimes puts too many ingredients in the pot and overcooks the stew. Perhaps Les Miles should embrace his name and realize that less is sometimes more.

As tides usually do, BAMA was subtly, slowly, and steadily rising. My children and I sat in front of the TV, watching the Tigers seemingly control the game. With four minutes left and LSU leading 17-14, my oldest son attempted to retire to his bedroom in defeat. Time for a life lesson. I called him back out of his room and told all three of our children that this game was not over. I emphasized that no matter how bleak things look, you can never give up. I pointed out that BAMA’s defense was fighting with all their might. They weren’t quitting, Nick Saban wasn’t quitting, A.J. MacCarron wasn’t quitting, T.J. Yeldon wasn’t quitting, Kevin Norwood (who in my humble opinion is the most underrated player on our team) wasn’t quitting. So, as fans, we shouldn’t quit either.

Now, to be honest, I was speaking to myself more than to my children. In my own heart and mind, I too was struggling to believe, struggling to maintain hope, struggling to stay positive as I watched our beloved TIDE being outplayed on both sides of the ball.

We’re spoiled at BAMA. Coach Bryant spoiled us, and we’ve been spoiled in this current Nick Saban era. We’ve become used to winning lately. But if there’s one thing Coach Saban preaches over and over again, it’s that you have to overcome adversity. And I promise you, he’s not just talking about sports. At Alabama, we’ve had our share of adversity over the past few decades. People outside of the SEC probably don’t realize just how bad times were in Alabama for quite a while. Between National Championship coach Gene Stallings and the hiring of Nick Saban, we endured scandals, betrayals, and shames that were not commensurate with the BAMA tradition of excellence and class. We could feel the spirit of Bear Bryant casting a disapproving glance at our program. As BAMA fans, we suffered more from the scars on our reputation than from the losses on the field. But at Alabama, we are a family. And when times are tough, true families always come together.   

I have a dear friend, one of my best friends in this world. He is loyal, humble, intelligent, honest, and God-fearing. And he is the biggest Alabama fan I know. About a year ago he went through some extremely difficult times. He experienced trials and adversities that most people would not have been able to overcome. Family and friends forsook him in his greatest hour of need. But he didn’t quit. He didn’t give into depression or despair. He clung to his faith in God, rising – like the TIDE – above the temporal darkness in order to follow the eternal Light. Let us not forget that tides are dictated by the luminance of the moon, not by the darkness that surrounds it. And the lessons and examples of Alabama football throughout the decades was no small inspiration to him during his great hours of difficulty. My dear friend is not related to me by blood, but he is closer to me than some of my own relatives. Those who say that blood is thicker than water have never felt the force of the Crimson Tide.

With less than two minutes to play, a missed field goal by LSU afforded Alabama’s stifled offense a last ditch effort to even the score and take the game into overtime. But most honest BAMA fans would admit that our hopes seemed slim. The Tiger defense had dominated the second half; and with the taste of revenge on their tongues and 92,000 rabid Cajuns behind them, it appeared that the TIDE would be abated. But all tides ebb and flow, and now it was time for the TIDE to come roaring in.

Channeling the heroics of Greg McElroy’s winning fourth quarter drive against Auburn in 2009, A.J. MacCarron stepped up to the plate and called his game winning shots. For 58 minutes, the Tiger defense had reduced A.J. MacCarron to a non factor. His passes were off target, overthrown, and poorly timed. He certainly did not look like a Heisman Trophy candidate. But the Crimson cream always rises to the top, and A.J. got it done when it counted the most. With the assistance of an offensive line that refused to quit, and with the help of clutch receptions by Kevin Norwood, our quarterback led us to the LSU 28 yard line in less than a minute. His passes were crisp, deliberate, and perfectly calibrated. He was poised, steady, confident, and composed. He played just like… well… just like his coach coaches. With less than a minute remaining, BAMA fans were confident that we could take this game into overtime. Our field goal kickers had been steady all year long, and we were well within their field goal range.

Yet even as BAMA fans, we occasionally sell our team short, underestimating the perseverance and faith of our own coaches and players (please don’t tell Nick Saban.) But champions are sometimes born in bayous, and Crimson character emerges like a pure brook above the backwater.

Coach Saban played it close to the vest all night. No trick plays, no “razzle dazzle.” Predictable to a fault, or so it seemed. While Les Miles was trying to pull MOJO out of his hat, Saban remained steady handed and even-keeled. But when the time was right, Saban opened the floodgates; and A.J. MacCarron tossed a screen pass to T.J. Yeldon who elusively darted 28 yards into the end zone, and  potentially into Alabama lore. A few minutes earlier, A.J. and T.J. had muffed a handoff inside the LSU ten yard line that cost us certain points and gave LSU the ball. But MacCarron and Yeldon rose from their ashes to connect for what we could only hope would be the game winning touchdown.

But this was BAMA vs. LSU, in Death Valley, and there was too much time left on the clock. Was it 45 seconds, 40? I can’t remember. But to us, it was an eternity, especially the way Mettenberger had picked our defense apart all night. Our offense had risen to the occasion when it mattered most. Could our defense do the same? With no time outs remaining, LSU was forced to go 80 yards for a touchdown to win the game. BAMA was up by 4, and a field goal would do the Tigers no good.

As the BAMA defense took the field, A.J. MacCarron sat on the sidelines and unleashed a tide of emotional tears, reminiscent of the tide that poured from Mark Ingram’s eyes when he accepted Alabama’s first Heisman Trophy. You see, at Alabama, winning means something. Not just winning, but how you win, why you win, the way you win, and for whom you win. The people of Alabama have been unfairly stereotyped, maligned by the national media, discredited as an entire state and an entire people. Their legendary coach Bear Bryant, arguably the greatest college football coach in history, was inaccurately and disgracefully portrayed in a Hollywood film. There are poverty stricken Alabamians – both Black and White – who work hard, pray hard, live right, and entrust Alabama football to represent their work ethic, their character, and their indomitable spirit. That’s what the BAMA haters will never realize. All they see is the winning, and they think it comes easy to us. They have trouble recognizing that an entire community – a vastly diverse yet equally passionate and equally committed community – invests its heart and soul in Alabama football. And the BAMA haters will never understand that we take as much pride in how we win as we do in our winning.

So, with ample but precious seconds remaining, the Tiger offense took the field, led by a quarterback that had been having his way with the TIDE secondary all night long. But an abused and maligned Alabama defense was having no part of any LSU “Bayou Miracle.” Coach Saban doesn’t deal with fantasy, he deals with reality: “Do your job. Execute. Give maximum effort. Never give up. Focus on the single task at hand. Don’t worry about what they do, focus on doing what you’re supposed do.” Some people stick pins in Voodoo dolls and try to pull rabbits out of their hat. Alabama just lines up and plays football.

Those who really know the game of football will tell you that statistics can often underwhelm, but you can never underestimate winning. Mark Twain famously remarked, “There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” I don’t know how much he knew about football, but his quote is certainly apropos to the sport. If the Heisman Trophy is a combination of talent, teamwork, perseverance, and character, then A.J. MacCarron and the Alabama Crimson Tide epitomized that combination on Saturday night in Baton Rouge. But don’t ask A.J., Nick Saban, or the BAMA players about the Heisman Trophy. In the state of Alabama, crystal is much more valuable than brass.

I don’t know whether or not Alabama will win its 15th National Championship this year. Texas A&M, Auburn, - and possibly Georgia in the SEC Championship - loom large. But we proved Saturday night that we have the ability and discipline to persevere and overcome tremendous setbacks. We proved a lot by conquering the mighty Cajuns in their own backyard Bayou. But there are still some questions that must be answered, and those questions can only be settled on the field. However, the questions of this team’s character and class have been resoundingly answered without a doubt.

Regardless of what happens from here on out, I have never been prouder to be an Alabama fan than I am right now. We were champions Saturday night, and this game and this team will always be remembered for the heroics it produced on this particular autumn evening. But I give tremendous credit to LSU. Ali’s greatness would not have been possible without the mighty challenges of Foreman and Frazier, and BAMA’s prowess is all the more valuable because of formidable opponents like LSU.

It is said that “a rising tide lifts all boats.” Well, a rising TIDE lifts the hearts, minds, and spirits innumerable Alabama fans all over the world. I am lifted up tonight, flowing ever forward with the irrepressible wave of my faithful CRIMSON TIDE family. 

To all my fellow BAMA fans, please remember this:

Good times come and good times go
Life is full of ebb and flow
But character is forged in hardship
And champions steadily rise…
Like the TIDE…
Unstoppable

“Overcome adversity.”
-Nick Saban-

By GEBRE MENFES KIDUS
(aka “TIDEMAN”)

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4347 on: November 04, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

Selam

Oregon 62, USC 51

Wow! Barnburner!
Yup, and Barner was the biggest burner. laugh
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4348 on: November 04, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »

I think the difference in the game was coaching. Nick Saban didn't necessarily win it, but Miles probably lost it.

Congrats to Alabama and their fans. I'm just still sad my university suffered such a sad loss, IMHO it was much worse than the National Championship, because we should've won this game. I agree with you on the coaching, Les constantly makes some, uhm, "questionable" decisions...

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4349 on: November 04, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »

David Beckham set to quit LA Galaxy, will reportedly leave LA Galaxy in the New Year and move to New York Red Bull

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2227518/David-Beckham-considers-quitting-LA-Galaxy-New-York-move.html

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4350 on: November 04, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »

Tippeligaen: Rosenborg 1 - 2 Strømsgodset
http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/11/04/sport/fotball/tippeligaen/stromsgodset/rosenborg/24194319/

English Premier League: Manchester United 2 - 1 Arsenal
http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-And-Results/Match-Reports/2012/Nov/manchester-united-v-arsenal-premier-league-report.aspx
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:48:31 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4351 on: November 04, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »

I really dont know what team I hate worse, Man U or Arsenal.

In Rugby news, the Boks arrived today in Ireland to in preparation for the Outgoing Tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland, with matches against the Irish this weekend coming up, the Scots the week after, and those damned English the weekend after the Scottish match.

Crucial for the Boks to win all three matches, especially the one against England, in order for the bokke to remain in the top four in the world on 3 DEC, the date of the RWC 2015 pool selections for the pre-qualified teams. This ensures that the boks will NOT be in a pool with the All Blacks, Aussies, or England, as it stands now.

Boks will be without superstar Bryan Habana, who was injured while playing for Western Province in the Currie Cup, where out boys from Cape Town defeated the Sharks from Durban to claim our first Currie Cup since 2001.

BOKKE!!!

SCREW BON JOVI!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4352 on: November 04, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »

Without pass interference being as lethal a penalty as it is, how will poor joe flacco ever become elite?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4353 on: November 05, 2012, 01:04:31 AM »

Without pass interference being as lethal a penalty as it is, how will poor joe flacco ever become elite?

Even if that recalled TD was good Ravens still would have came out with the win but still...

Shh..!Joe Flacco is too young to be elite without a Superbowl and we all know this isn't his year.  Still, lets be honest, the guy has a phenomenal win record, both starting, career, and at-home, if or when he does win a Superbowl in the upcoming years will you finally tip your hat? I despise the Steelers, but I recognize their greatness all the same.

Same thing with Atlanta tonight, yeah they have  the caveat of having to win one in the post-season, and true, we've been here before when in 2010 we went 5-1 and stayed that way until we went 12-2 and lost from there to finish 13-3 and we all know Packers stormed through us..  So in regards to tonight, I thought Dallas had this one, as did I think Eagles had it last week, so I am ridiculously surprised in Atlanta. Matt Ryan is 32-4 in Georgia and 51-19 career, not elite, but surely in elite company!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4354 on: November 08, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »

A great read on why Duck coach Chip Kelly is one of the best coaches in college football:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201211/how-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-can-spark-moneyball-revolution-nfl

In short, he's aggressive with the ball, but he has the math on his side. 4th and 1 on your opponent's 25? That's a no-brainer. Go for it!
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4355 on: November 08, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »

A great read on why Duck coach Chip Kelly is one of the best coaches in college football:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201211/how-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-can-spark-moneyball-revolution-nfl

In short, he's aggressive with the ball, but he has the math on his side. 4th and 1 on your opponent's 25? That's a no-brainer. Go for it!

Unless you have LSU's offense this year...then you kick a field goal. Grin

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4356 on: November 09, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »

Lakers are shallow and plastic as ever in firing Mike Brown.  Stupid albeit predictable move by fickle (i.e. self-centered) Angelinos.. all the more why LA is third on my all-time list of worst cities for sports Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4357 on: November 09, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »

Lakers are shallow and plastic as ever in firing Mike Brown.  Stupid albeit predictable move by fickle (i.e. self-centered) Angelinos.. all the more why LA is third on my all-time list of worst cities for sports Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Lakers legend Magic Johnson reacted to the firing on Twitter.

"Feel bad for Coach Mike Brown, who's a great guy, but don't think he was the right guy for the job in the first place," he tweeted.

As for possible replacements, Johnson tweeted: "I'd love to see Phil Jackson or Brian Shaw. Wish Pat Riley was available."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4358 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Lakers legend Magic Johnson reacted to the firing on Twitter.

"Feel bad for Coach Mike Brown, who's a great guy, but don't think he was the right guy for the job in the first place," he tweeted.

As for possible replacements, Johnson tweeted: "I'd love to see Phil Jackson or Brian Shaw. Wish Pat Riley was available."

Magic is dreaming like he was Hakeem yo! Available coaches currently include Van Gundy, Mike D'Antoni, or Jerry Sloan and only Sloan's name has been mentioned here in LA, especially considering that D'Antoni and Van Gundy aren't necessarily actively seeking a head coaching position.  Plus, Van Gundy had the Howard incidents so that is unlikely, and D'Antoni was recently chased out of New York by personality conflicts.. I wouldn't mind Sloan, but I think it is always reckless to change coaches during the season, this should have either happened before the season began or waited until the end.  True it is early, but early enough that changing coaches would result most likely in more losses, not hemorrhaging the bleeding..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4359 on: November 09, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »

I confess: Johnny Football scares me.

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4360 on: November 09, 2012, 05:06:58 PM »

If Lakers get Jerry Sloan it will just be too weird.  So LA will have the PG who kept them out the play-offs in the mid-2000s, the Center who faced them in the Finals in 2009, and the coach who made life miserable for us 1990s Laker fans under the Malone-Stockton Jazz era...

Surreal. Almost more so than when Karl Malone and Gary Payton were wearing Laker jerseys!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4361 on: November 10, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »

This I pledge: if the NHL cancels the season, I will not watch a single hockey game or buy a hockey-related product for at least 3 years.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4362 on: November 10, 2012, 08:28:03 AM »

This I pledge: if the NHL cancels the season, I will not watch a single hockey game or buy a hockey-related product for at least 3 years.
Don't NHL players deserve a year-long sabbatical?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4363 on: November 10, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »

Don't NHL players deserve a year-long sabbatical?

No.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4364 on: November 10, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »

I feel the same way! But I know myself well enough to know I'll be tuning into the very next televised Canadiens game.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: