OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 07:14:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 419691 times) Average Rating: 5
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3825 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »

Go Cards.
Let the Pirates get in

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3826 on: September 02, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »

Wrong Cards.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3827 on: September 02, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This.

If I remember correctly, Lance passed a whole bunch of drug tests over the years. He took a lot of treatments for cancer, and I'm wondering if either the medications with that triggered a false positive of some sort, or maybe some cranky rider from another country slipped the USADA a bunch of Ye Olde Lucre to 'suddenly discover' some weirdness. He beat everybody seven dang times... must have put a lot of people's bike shorts in a bunch.

Here is the catch, I was reading an LA Times Sports article about the challenge of choosing who deserves to be awarded the first place for those races if Armstrong is actually stripped and the books actually re-written.  The catch is that among that 70 riders who placed 1-10 each of the years Armstrong wrong, upwards of 70% were implicated in some kind of doping scandal.  Maybe their bike shorts are in a bunch, true, but the entirety of cycling in that era suddenly seems suspect. So realistically, the entire field is corrupted and we can probably assume that a good deal of the competition were all mutually using enhancing drugs, perhaps even Armstrong.  I don't mean to accuse the brother, but he himself backed out so as to avoid having air out his laundry in this regard, and so I suspect something fishy about that.  If his laundry was truly clean, he wouldn't mind hanging it out to dry in the face of all those doped up haters, but he is like they, he really just wants to put it all behind him.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3828 on: September 03, 2012, 12:49:11 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Phil Jackson is the Mandarin? Careful Ironman, you'll never win that championship yo!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3829 on: September 03, 2012, 02:57:53 AM »

This.

If I remember correctly, Lance passed a whole bunch of drug tests over the years. He took a lot of treatments for cancer, and I'm wondering if either the medications with that triggered a false positive of some sort, or maybe some cranky rider from another country slipped the USADA a bunch of Ye Olde Lucre to 'suddenly discover' some weirdness. He beat everybody seven dang times... must have put a lot of people's bike shorts in a bunch.

Here is the catch, I was reading an LA Times Sports article about the challenge of choosing who deserves to be awarded the first place for those races if Armstrong is actually stripped and the books actually re-written.  The catch is that among that 70 riders who placed 1-10 each of the years Armstrong wrong, upwards of 70% were implicated in some kind of doping scandal.  Maybe their bike shorts are in a bunch, true, but the entirety of cycling in that era suddenly seems suspect. So realistically, the entire field is corrupted and we can probably assume that a good deal of the competition were all mutually using enhancing drugs, perhaps even Armstrong.  I don't mean to accuse the brother, but he himself backed out so as to avoid having air out his laundry in this regard, and so I suspect something fishy about that.  If his laundry was truly clean, he wouldn't mind hanging it out to dry in the face of all those doped up haters, but he is like they, he really just wants to put it all behind him.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
He backed out, yes, but where do you get the idea that he did so to avoid having his dirty laundry aired out? Can you not take him at his word that he just didn't want to deal with the stress anymore? "I'm sick of this whole mess. Do to me what you want. I just don't care anymore."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3830 on: September 03, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »

This.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
He backed out, yes, but where do you get the idea that he did so to avoid having his dirty laundry aired out? Can you not take him at his word that he just didn't want to deal with the stress anymore? "I'm sick of this whole mess. Do to me what you want. I just don't care anymore."

Fight for your name and your honor. I think he's guilty as h#ll, and I don't feel sorry for him. Like I said before, anyone that can't acknowledge the God who gave them their talents and abilities gets no respect from me (not that they care.) Tim Tebow may annoy me to some degree, but I'll take his style over the humanist Armstrong's any day.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3831 on: September 03, 2012, 06:59:51 AM »

This.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Reminds me of Michael Jackson in a way.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3832 on: September 03, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »

This.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Fight for your name and your honor. I think he's guilty as h#ll, and I don't feel sorry for him. Like I said before, anyone that can't acknowledge the God who gave them their talents and abilities gets no respect from me (not that they care.)
But how does Armstrong's refusal to acknowledge his Creator and his refusal to continue defending his honor in this case prove him guilty of doping? "I think he's guilty as hell" doesn't prove a damn thing.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3833 on: September 03, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »

There is a world of difference because eventually Michael Jackson actually went to court and won his case.

This.

Here is the catch, I was reading an LA Times Sports article about the challenge of choosing who deserves to be awarded the first place for those races if Armstrong is actually stripped and the books actually re-written.  The catch is that among that 70 riders who placed 1-10 each of the years Armstrong wrong, upwards of 70% were implicated in some kind of doping scandal.  Maybe their bike shorts are in a bunch, true, but the entirety of cycling in that era suddenly seems suspect. So realistically, the entire field is corrupted and we can probably assume that a good deal of the competition were all mutually using enhancing drugs, perhaps even Armstrong.  I don't mean to accuse the brother, but he himself backed out so as to avoid having air out his laundry in this regard, and so I suspect something fishy about that.  If his laundry was truly clean, he wouldn't mind hanging it out to dry in the face of all those doped up haters, but he is like they, he really just wants to put it all behind him.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Listen, I don't pretend to know one way or the other, and further, I am give even the worst accused criminal the initial benefit of the doubt until later evidence suggests otherwise, and even if Armstrong was guilty I wouldn't really hold to strongly against him.

However, there were apparently a dozen witnesses which were willing to testify in open court and in public records that Armstrong was involved in several very sophisticated methods to pass his drug tests.  Again, the entire cycling culture was caught up in doping at that time, so I am very skeptical that if the top ten racers in all the years he won were involved and admittedly in doping scandals, that now that it catches up to him he is suddenly the lone saint like Lot in Sodom.  Drug culture learns how to pass drug tests, simple as that, so I do not inherently trust their results, and if the brother has decided to back out when the fight is at its consumation, when he could once and for all put it to rest, he backs out? Sounds fishy to me Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:55:34 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3834 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »

Phil Jackson is the Mandarin? Careful Ironman, you'll never win that championship yo!!

Nothing? Not funny at all?

Oh well..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:53:33 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3835 on: September 03, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »

College football anybody?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3836 on: September 03, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »

This.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Fight for your name and your honor. I think he's guilty as h#ll, and I don't feel sorry for him. Like I said before, anyone that can't acknowledge the God who gave them their talents and abilities gets no respect from me (not that they care.)
But how does Armstrong's refusal to acknowledge his Creator and his refusal to continue defending his honor in this case prove him guilty of doping? "I think he's guilty as hell" doesn't prove a damn thing.

I don't really care one way or another. Never liked him and never admired his arrogant attitude. And it just seems odd that someone so self-sure and self-reliant is so easily relinquishing his reputation when the going gets tough. I can't prove anything and I don't have to. Whether he's guilty or not won't change my opinion of him.

Selam

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3837 on: September 03, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »

Yesterday was the last Sunday of the year with no pro football. Hazzah!

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3838 on: September 03, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »

There is a world of difference because eventually Michael Jackson actually went to court and won his case.
I'm talking about his first case. Because MJ didn't want a media circus and wanted to move on with his life. And honestly the damage was already done.

Eventhough I believe he was innocent.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:21:56 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3839 on: September 05, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3840 on: September 05, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »

Finally! The NFL has come back for another season!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3841 on: September 06, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »

Finally! The NFL has come back for another season!

That was a great game after the first quarter, opening-season jitters got worked out.  And the middle school teaching refz weren't as horrible as they were in the pre-season, rather, the Cowboys were just playing a mix of rusty and dirty Wink

Beautiful out-of-the-pocket-as-usual passes from Romo, that guy is what Tim Tebow can be when Tim finally learns to find his passing game like Lebron needed to work with Hakim to finally find his post-up game which brought the Championship to Miami.  If Romo can keep up being "good" Romo rather than "bad" Romo (see last season losses) Dallas actually has a chance to at least make it to the Conference.  One thing that has remained consistent in Dallas is a blistering defense, its looking like offense is finally catching up.  A lot of commentators have been finally noticing Matt Ryan, this year is do or die for the Falcons, and I think they also could do it if they just kept their focus.  After all, lets put things in perspective, three of the last four teams that won the Superbowl got there by beating Atlanta, so its not like they didn't lose to the best, they are in good company.  

I have no predictions this season, I want to wait a few weeks, but some hungry teams like the Lions, Cowboys, and Ravens are going to be looking good out there one way or the other.  Also note, if Vick can stay in it and stop Derrick Rose/D-Wade-ing it around by making such risky machismo based plays, the Eagles will not choke like last year.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:32:59 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3842 on: September 06, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »

lol the Ravens.

Stop.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3843 on: September 06, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »

lol the Ravens.

Stop.

Yeah like you thought the 9-7 Giants were going to take it all, just like I bet you predicted the wildcard Packers would get it too Wink

Besides, have a little bit of respect, Art Modell just passed away Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:54:05 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3844 on: September 06, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »

My Super Bowl pick:

vs.

My Super Bowl HOPE:

vs.

Forgive my sins.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3845 on: September 06, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »

Eh, guess not.

As for the NFL, so Steelers.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3846 on: September 06, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »

I'm bout to watch some tonight...

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3847 on: September 06, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »

I'm guessing you're a Pittsburgh fan?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:45:50 PM by William » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3848 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:01 PM »

I wouldn't really call myself a fan of any college team, though living in the area I root for Pittsburgh when they're on TV and I'm watching them Smiley

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3849 on: September 06, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »

Eh, guess not.

As for the NFL, so Steelers.

See ya in a few weeks Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3850 on: September 06, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »

Suggs out and LOL Flaccid. It will be a bad season for them.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3851 on: September 06, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »

I'm guessing you're a Pittsburgh fan?

HAHA

Forgive my sins.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3852 on: September 06, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »

See ya, Monday, habte.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3853 on: September 08, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »

I pray that Tulane's Devon Walker comes out of this day okay. Cry

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8352006/tulane-safety-devon-walker-hospitalized-suffering-fractured-spine-broken-neck-collapsed-lung-hit
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3854 on: September 08, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »

Lord have mercy, I watched it happen, very sad.

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3855 on: September 08, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3856 on: September 08, 2012, 11:45:09 PM »

Good day for the two biggest colleges in Oregon.

Everyone thought the #4 Ducks would bury Fresno State, so no surprise in this game with the Ducks winning 42-25. However, there is a cloud to this golden light: for the second straight week the Ducks scrubs got dominated in the second half after their starters built an insurmountable halftime lead.

But who could have anticipated what Oregon State would do to Montee Ball and the #13 Wisconsin Badgers? The Beavers effectively killed Ball's Heisman hopes by holding the Badger RB to 61 yards on 15 carries and didn't allow Wisconsin to score until about the final 1:30. Their 10-7 win proved to be the Beavers' third upset of a Top 25 opponent at home in the past five years and ended Wisconsin's non-conference winning streak at 33 games.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3857 on: September 08, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »

See ya, Monday, habte.

Indeed Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3858 on: September 08, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »

And the Nationals have held firm to their controversial plan and shut down Strasburg for the rest of the year.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3859 on: September 09, 2012, 12:08:08 AM »

And the Nationals have held firm to their controversial plan and shut down Strasburg for the rest of the year.

Well, it's not like the Nationals are going to make the playoffs anyway...

Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3860 on: September 09, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »

My almae matres all won today, which isn't saying a whole lot, considering.  Cal finally found someone it could beat handily (50-31 over Southern Utah).  Texas did the expected by thumping New Mexico 45-0.  And TCU showed it really knew how to take care of busineess by clobbering hapless Grambling State 56-0.  

This last game was notable for a perfect passing performance by the two Horned Frog quarterbacks, opportunistic scoring by offense, defense, and special teams, and Gary Patterson's becoming the Frogs' all-time winningest head coach.  Nice way to break in our newly-renovated stadium (packed house of 45,112).  Kansas, which lost a heartbreaker to lowly Rice, has the Frogs next, and they'll have a lot to do to keep Coach Weis's "no more blowouts" promise.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:10:17 AM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3861 on: September 09, 2012, 01:32:55 AM »

This play works only on the basketball court, and even then only if your name is Magic Johnson or Steve Nash. In a college football game, however...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/see-worse-play-college-football-effort-kansas-state-180849533--ncaaf.html

YIKES! Shocked
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3862 on: September 09, 2012, 02:14:53 AM »

This play works only on the basketball court, and even then only if your name is Magic Johnson or Steve Nash. In a college football game, however...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/see-worse-play-college-football-effort-kansas-state-180849533--ncaaf.html

YIKES! Shocked

LOL! Cracking up! Grin

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3863 on: September 09, 2012, 02:26:14 AM »

My Crimson Tide turned in a soporific performance today in their 35-0 win over Western Kentucky. Our much heralded offensive line gave up 6 QB sacks, and we only rushed for a little over 100 yards for the day. But worst of all, we lost one of our star players - fullback/running back Jalston Fowler - probably out for the season with a knee injury. He's technically listed as third string RB, but he's a punishing runner at 6'1" and 245 lbs and he is invaluable as the blocking back in the I-formation. Losing him will probably cost us at least one game somewhere down the line and thus the National Championship as well. But of course, you have to overcome adversity and injuries to win it all, so we'll see now how good we really are. Not very happy with the way we looked today, and after watching Michigan struggle against Air Force, I think my suspicions that they were highly overrated are defitinely confirmed. We have Arkansas next week, and they're obviously not too good. But if we play like we played today, we could get beat. So, suffice it to say that BAMA may be a top 5 team, but we are by no means the clear cut #1 team in the nation.

Selam

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3864 on: September 09, 2012, 03:02:12 AM »

I know I have my BAMA blinders on, but this is a great article about Nick Saban's philosophy of the "Process." As much as the game changes, it's the core principles of character, discipline, selflessness, and perseverance that determine lasting success.
You've got a great coach in Saban.  One of the best.  One of the best ever.  But before we canonize him, it's important to remember a few things.

Discipline? Saban finds it acceptable to lie publicly when the circumstances warrant.  Lying is ill-disciplined.

Character?  Saban is an eager participant in the very questionable practice of grayshirting, occasionally leaving a young man completely in the lurch despite prior commitments.  Line up 100 college coaches, and I'd probably agree that Saban's character is at least as good as 99 of them.  But in the game of high stakes college football, character has limits, and Saban has clearly demonstrated his.

Perseverance?  Persevering is when one completes a five-year commitment even when the going gets tough.

I'm a Saban fan.  I wish my Razorbacks had one like him instead of the last couple of clowns we ended up with.  Just because a process has limits doesn't mean the process is flawed.  And just because a man has flaws doesn't make him evil.  It just makes him a man.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3865 on: September 09, 2012, 03:09:47 AM »

I'd love a serving.  I now reside in Europe (and without AFN) so I don't get to actually see any.  Football over here seems to mean something a little different, which I still don't fully understand.  But the start of German Bundesliga basically corresponds to the start of the college season back home, and it's pretty exciting too.  I see myself becoming a fan!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3866 on: September 09, 2012, 03:19:10 AM »

I know I have my BAMA blinders on, but this is a great article about Nick Saban's philosophy of the "Process." As much as the game changes, it's the core principles of character, discipline, selflessness, and perseverance that determine lasting success.
You've got a great coach in Saban.  One of the best.  One of the best ever.  But before we canonize him, it's important to remember a few things.

Discipline? Saban finds it acceptable to lie publicly when the circumstances warrant.  Lying is ill-disciplined.

Character?  Saban is an eager participant in the very questionable practice of grayshirting, occasionally leaving a young man completely in the lurch despite prior commitments.  Line up 100 college coaches, and I'd probably agree that Saban's character is at least as good as 99 of them.  But in the game of high stakes college football, character has limits, and Saban has clearly demonstrated his.

Perseverance?  Persevering is when one completes a five-year commitment even when the going gets tough.

I'm a Saban fan.  I wish my Razorbacks had one like him instead of the last couple of clowns we ended up with.  Just because a process has limits doesn't mean the process is flawed.  And just because a man has flaws doesn't make him evil.  It just makes him a man.

I actually agree with you for the most part (except for the criticism of Saban leaving the Dolphins). That's why I could never be a college football coach (assuming I actually possessed the skills and knowledge to qualify as one). There is too much about today's big time college football environment that would require me to compromise my personal values in order to be successful. But I think you are right that Saban's integrity and character is better than most. He cares about academics, and the proof is that over the past three years BAMA's player graduation rate is second in the SEC only behind Vanderbilt's. That's pretty impressive considering we've won two National Championships in that same time frame.

Saban is no saint, but he ain't satan either. He's a heck of a good coach and he seems to truly care about his players on and off the field. I love his philosophy of the "process," and I find that those same principles apply to almost every aspect of life. At the risk of blasphemy, I dare say that our entire Orthodox worldview is based on a similar theme- struggle, sacrifice, perseverance, faith, growth... "theosis".  Wink

Selam

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3867 on: September 09, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »

I'd love a serving.  I now reside in Europe (and without AFN) so I don't get to actually see any.  Football over here seems to mean something a little different, which I still don't fully understand.  But the start of German Bundesliga basically corresponds to the start of the college season back home, and it's pretty exciting too.  I see myself becoming a fan!

I do enjoy Gridiron Football, but true Football (Soccer), is the one I grew up with (being European) and the most fun for me to play and watch. If you want to know what are good teams to root for just ask me. Wink

Forgive my sins.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #3868 on: September 09, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »

I do enjoy Gridiron Football, but true Football (Soccer), is the one I grew up with (being European) and the most fun for me to play and watch. If you want to know what are good teams to root for just ask me. Wink
Don't listen to celticfan, he obviously has no taste in soccer teams since he's a Man U fan :p
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3869 on: September 09, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »

I'm looking at you right now, Achronos.

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: