OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:28:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 397988 times) Average Rating: 5
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3735 on: July 21, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »

I think Major League Soccer should put a franchise in New Orleans, they could play in Tulane's new stadium. There is enough support for it to work, and visiting fans would love to go.

Is it located on/near the campus?

Apparently the MSL financial conditions are pretty strenuous.  What about NASL though?  Is there any hope of having them create a promotion/relegation deal with NASL or the other leagues?  My guess is not a chance.  Unfortunate.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3736 on: July 21, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »

Power of the Z.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 06:59:34 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3737 on: July 21, 2012, 11:54:41 PM »

Power of the Z.
Yeah, the Pirates are actually doing pretty well this year. Grin
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3738 on: July 22, 2012, 12:14:22 AM »

I think Major League Soccer should put a franchise in New Orleans, they could play in Tulane's new stadium. There is enough support for it to work, and visiting fans would love to go.

Is it located on/near the campus?

Apparently the MLS financial conditions are pretty strenuous.  What about NASL though?  Is there any hope of having them create a promotion/relegation deal with NASL or the other leagues?  My guess is not a chance.  Unfortunate.

It'll be located on Tulane's campus (which is on St Charles Ave, about 10 minutes from the Dome, French Quarter, and Downtown) and will have a capacity of 30,000, but they also have Tad Gormley Stadium (cap. 26,500) around city park. But they could also play in the Super Dome (cap. 76,500) for big games. Major League Soccer is more profitable than ever and is expanding like crazy and are already looking for their 20th team, and New Orleans is in the Top 5 talks of cities (aloung with Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, and another New York team (ie NY Cosmos revival)). I think MLS is going to be a 34 club league that will have a split division schedule, and keep the play-offs.

There will never be promotion/relegation between MLS and any league, because the owners buy franchises in MLS itself, so they could sue if they got relegated.

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3739 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »

...several levels of administration felt football profits and prestige were more important than risking children's safety for OVER A DECADE, then football has too go. [/b] If I went to that University, I'd personally be ashamed.  I was angry enough at all the political corruption and financial blundering at the CSU university system I attended, but what happened at Penn State is unconscionable.  Other universities sports programs are already coming clean to similar situations.. this would be a good example by the NCAA.

Agreed.  Disgusting. I would feel bad for the businesses around there, but it seems that Happy Valley has got some kind of an illness.  Kill it, disinfect the place and the cult members and let them start fresh after awhile.
I'm now seeing in the headlines that the penalties the NCAA is thinking of taking against Penn State are so severe that, even though the death penalty is not one of those, the Nittany Lions football team are going to wish they had received the death penalty.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3740 on: July 22, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »

We will see what NCAA does but I really hope it is as severe as possible.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3741 on: July 23, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »

Penn State sanctions: $60M, bowl ban

• $60 million fine
• Vacating of wins from 1998-2011 (112 wins)
• Four-year postseason ban
• Four-year scholarship reduction (maximum 15 scholarships per year; total of 65 scholarships in program)
• Players may transfer and play immediately at other schools
• Athletic department on probation for five years

Edited to add:
• Paterno stripped of winningest coach title
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:00:52 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3742 on: July 23, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

• $60 million fine
• Four-year scholarship reduction (maximum 15 scholarships per year; total of 65 scholarships in program)

Edited to add:

Meh. The Death Penalty should have been implemented at least for the upcoming season because that school needs to clean house and it would have been the reality check they clearly need over there! Those sanctions are a slap on the wrist to such a huge and successful program as Penn State they will spend the next four years practicing, fund raising, and recruiting as if nothing happened waiting for the fifth year to get back into the  business as usual. The punishments are mostly symbolic, rather than substantive.

The culture at that school and that city is still fouled by their dependence on the corrupted football program.  None of the community have been apologetic as to the 45 counts of child molestation by the beloved assistant coach and the cover up by their revered Coach Paterno as well as several layers of the university administration, two who are facing felony criminal charges by the way.  No, all I've read about in the paper have been comments from local area businesses and students talking about football, worrying about football, only concerned about football (oh yeah, and also the money it generates Sad) The Paterno family is in complete denial, and refuse to accept the reality and gravity of just what happened. That town and community sold its soul for the money, and now with Sandusky fed their children to Molech.  For shame, all we can do is pray for the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ to heal those wounds.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:56:34 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3743 on: July 23, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »

• $60 million fine

Edited to add:

Change the name from Penn State to State Penn.

The fact college football is even a thing the way it is in the US is appalling. It's a freaking game. Boys got raped for decades to preserve a game. However it's good to see how devastating this is for their football program. They will have such an incredibly hard time attracting talent and will lose their existing talent. No school should put football ahead of their students.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:33:21 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3744 on: July 23, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

• $60 million fine

Edited to add:

The fact college football is even a thing the way it is in the US is appalling. It's a freaking game. Boys got raped for decades to preserve a game. However it's good to see how devastating this is for their football program. They will have such an incredibly hard time attracting talent and will lose their existing talent. No school should put football ahead of their students.

How is it devastating? We're talking about schools with multi-billion dollar endowments and donor pools.  We're talking about the symbolic removal of past wins records, how does that change the future exactly? They will still play season football and keep recruiting and keep the money flowing, they are just out of those bowl games for a few years, which if anything, will only further motivate the football program to lock it down rather than open it up and retool.  Again, football is the problem, if they play even one game this upcoming season, what have they learned? They will still sell-out stadiums, still sell-out merchandise, still be caught up in the money, and forget all about the child molestation within two or three games, and if anything, the pep rally atmosphere will probably get them to chant against the victims and in favor of the school much like their "we are Penn State" mantras that students have been chanting at protests to defend the Paterno statue.  That is simply a disgusting lack of personal accountability. If I went to that school, I'd be itching to transfer, the administration and student body and local community clearly have priorities issues  Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3745 on: July 23, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »

• $60 million fine

Edited to add:

How is it devastating? We're talking about schools with multi-billion dollar endowments and donor pools.  We're talking about the symbolic removal of past wins records, how does that change the future exactly? They will still play season football and keep recruiting and keep the money flowing, they are just out of those bowl games for a few years, which if anything, will only further motivate the football program to lock it down rather than open it up and retool.  Again, football is the problem, if they play even one game this upcoming season, what have they learned? They will still sell-out stadiums, still sell-out merchandise, still be caught up in the money, and forget all about the child molestation within two or three games, and if anything, the pep rally atmosphere will probably get them to chant against the victims and in favor of the school much like their "we are Penn State" mantras that students have been chanting at protests to defend the Paterno statue.  That is simply a disgusting lack of personal accountability. If I went to that school, I'd be itching to transfer, the administration and student body and local community clearly have priorities issues  Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Um what? The long term competitiveness and ability to bring in higher tier recruits (which vastly affects competitiveness in strong conferences like the big 10) will be affected a lot. This will have a ripple effect on the program for a long long time.

Smaller sanctions of this kind against big schools (like Alabama) took quite a while to get over. It's not something that immediately gets better after the scholarship restrictions are lifted, it usually takes at least half again as long to even get close to being a serious competitor again.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3746 on: July 23, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »

Um what? The long term competitiveness and ability to bring in higher tier recruits (which vastly affects competitiveness in strong conferences like the big 10) will be affected a lot. This will have a ripple effect on the program for a long long time.

Smaller sanctions of this kind against big schools (like Alabama) took quite a while to get over. It's not something that immediately gets better after the scholarship restrictions are lifted, it usually takes at least half again as long to even get close to being a serious competitor again.

Four years will not affect their long term competitiveness, and again, if these sanctions included The Death Penalty for the upcoming season, wouldn't have any gripe.  Again, that university, indeed that entire community needs a serious reality check, and still having friday night lights will make it more or less business as usual.  I could care less about the longevity or sustainability of the football program and its athlete core, I am more concerned with a community of students and  local residents that still feel more upset about losing the profits and pep rallies of football, and are not themselves as seemingly upset about the 45 counts of child molestation and the disgusting cover-up all in the name of football profits. Remember the problem at Penn State is cultural, it is systemic, and so the system itself can't be left in-tact. The only thing to stop this snake is to cut of the head, if you just wound the beast, you'll find snakes can live for a long time with eating, even perhaps four years Sad

Again, all I can do about these matters is pray, because clearly it makes me upset, I just wish that the folks in Penn State were upset for the right reasons..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

#1Sinner
Moderated

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #3747 on: July 24, 2012, 01:56:24 PM »

Getting back to the original question asked 5 years ago:

Baseball: New York Mets....aka, not a front running Yankee fan

Hockey: New Jersey Devils

College Football: Notre Dame

Basketball: when I cared, the New York Knicks

Football: San Francisco 49ers

Soccer: what's that?

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3748 on: July 24, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »

Soccer: what's that?

It's called FOOTBALL, and it is the best sport on earth.

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3749 on: July 24, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »

Team USA shine again in this friendly against Spain just before the Olympics start.  There has been a lot of talk about the 1992 Dream Team vs this 2012 USA Team, and I think something has been forgotten.  Yes, the 1992 was fantastic, and the roster is as surreal today as it was then, however, look at how FIBA has changed since then.  How many NBA players were on international teams then? How many NBA level players competed against that Dream Team? Exactly, hardly any.  So it is no surprise how that 92 US Team steam rolled over everybody else.  Look at FIBA now.  Brazil has several NBA phenoms, look at Argentina, look at France, look at Spain.  There are several NBA all-stars and Champions around FIBA now, not just on team US. The  difference is that today there were five NBA players on Spain, and 14 on the US roster, but still, that is way more competative than was the situation in 1992.  In that regard then, I am sure the Dream Team is still the better team, but if they had to play at the same level of international competition in 1992 as the 2012 USA Team plays against, perhaps that 1992 wouldn't have been so overwhelming and wouldn't have led by an average of 43.2 points per game.  It is easy to dominate against less competitive opponents Wink

I think these 2012 Olympics will be the best yet for international basketball, because so many high-level players are out there competing, they should be great games to watch. The spectator in me wants to see way better talent out there, and I'm glad FIBA is obliging.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3750 on: July 26, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »

MLS takes in the big picture

"In March, a study by Luker On Trends/ESPN revealed the startling statistic that "pro soccer" trailed only the NFL as the most popular sport for Americans aged 12-24. Handler followed up with the pollsters and was relieved to learn "if you pull out MLS alone, it still ranks No. 4, ahead of Major League Baseball and NCAA football/basketball.""

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/8194367/mls-hopes-build-national-profile-roger-bennett

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3751 on: July 27, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8204959/2012-olympic-basketball-power-rankings

These power rankings only further serve to prove the point that perhaps indeed the 1992 US Dream Team had it WAAAAAY easier than the 2012 Team.  The 1992 faced only a handful of NBA players, none of them all-stars.  The US team faces international teams that have 5-7 NBA players, several all-stars, even a few NBA champions out there (Argentina, France, and Spain all have ring holders on their roster, a level of competition that the 92 team NEVER had to face!)

If you read the names of those international teams on the power rankings, you find well over a dozen recognizable NBA names, including many great, top-tier level players from championship contending teams.  I honestly then think that while we are nostalgic for the Dream Team roster of Hall of Famers, that in all actuality, the 2012 is perhaps the better team  because they equally have a great roster but have been able to out-play much more competitive teams than the 92 faced.  Even though the 92 team won by an average margin of 43 points, it was literally TOO easy!! The 2012 in exhibition led by an average of 20 points, but had to play guys like Pau Gasol, Nene, Barbosa, Jose Calderon, Scola, Ginobili.  Who did the 92 Team face, Toni Kukoc? Even Vladi Devac wasn't there Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3752 on: July 28, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8204959/2012-olympic-basketball-power-rankings

These power rankings only further serve to prove the point that perhaps indeed the 1992 US Dream Team had it WAAAAAY easier than the 2012 Team.  The 1992 faced only a handful of NBA players, none of them all-stars.  The US team faces international teams that have 5-7 NBA players, several all-stars, even a few NBA champions out there (Argentina, France, and Spain all have ring holders on their roster, a level of competition that the 92 team NEVER had to face!)

If you read the names of those international teams on the power rankings, you find well over a dozen recognizable NBA names, including many great, top-tier level players from championship contending teams.  I honestly then think that while we are nostalgic for the Dream Team roster of Hall of Famers, that in all actuality, the 2012 is perhaps the better team  because they equally have a great roster but have been able to out-play much more competitive teams than the 92 faced.  Even though the 92 team won by an average margin of 43 points, it was literally TOO easy!! The 2012 in exhibition led by an average of 20 points, but had to play guys like Pau Gasol, Nene, Barbosa, Jose Calderon, Scola, Ginobili.  Who did the 92 Team face, Toni Kukoc? Even Vladi Devac wasn't there Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Basketball is a joke on the world stage, I mean after soccer and rugby it is the most international team sport, but only Canada/Greece/Spain/Germany/China can compete with the USA, so it's kind of boring.

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3753 on: July 28, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »

Gebre,

Dude! You gotta see this article about one of your Crimson Tide homeboys: DL Jesse Williams. The dude is reported to have bench pressed 600 pounds!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/alabama-lineman-bench-presses-600-pounds-171510300--ncaaf.html
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3754 on: July 28, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Basketball is a joke on the world stage, I mean after soccer and rugby it is the most international team sport, but only Canada/Greece/Spain/Germany/China can compete with the USA, so it's kind of boring.

Dude that is a lot of teams! You also forgot Brazil, Argentina, and France.. Only a similar handful of soccer teams can equally compete with Brazil or Spain and yet international soccer is delightful! The US dominates basketball, but FIBA is changing as many NBA All-Stars and great players are on international teams, something the 1992 Dream Team didn't have as a threat.  In other words, if the Dream Team had to face today's Brazil or Spain they would have only won by 20 points instead of 43 Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3755 on: July 29, 2012, 02:22:05 AM »

Gebre,

Dude! You gotta see this article about one of your Crimson Tide homeboys: DL Jesse Williams. The dude is reported to have bench pressed 600 pounds!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/alabama-lineman-bench-presses-600-pounds-171510300--ncaaf.html

Wow! That's awesome. He's from Australia. Great player. Thanks bro. Smiley

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3756 on: July 29, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »

What a nice win for the USA basketball team. Smiley
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3757 on: July 29, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Dude that is a lot of teams! You also forgot Brazil, Argentina, and France.. Only a similar handful of soccer teams can equally compete with Brazil or Spain and yet international soccer is delightful! The US dominates basketball, but FIBA is changing as many NBA All-Stars and great players are on international teams, something the 1992 Dream Team didn't have as a threat.  In other words, if the Dream Team had to face today's Brazil or Spain they would have only won by 20 points instead of 43 Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Football has a lot more good to decent teams internationally than basketball. Alot.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3758 on: July 29, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »

Gebre,

Selam

Didn't play Gridiron till junior college either! Maybe obvious because he's an aussie. lol

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3759 on: July 30, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »

Gebre,

Selam

Didn't play Gridiron till junior college either! Maybe obvious because he's an aussie. lol

They grow em hard down under. After all, the English settled Australia as a penal colony.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3760 on: July 30, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »

Gebre,

Selam

They grow em hard down under. After all, the English settled Australia as a penal colony.

Selam

Haha true, and they are some of the best athletes in the world.

On a separate note, all those convicts and criminals became a pretty civil people without the British government, I love it!

But he's ethnically Samoan (biggest bones in the world), I have pretty big bones, but he makes mine look small in comparison.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3761 on: July 30, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »

Nation-High Five LSU Tigers on CBSsports Preseason Team

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=205562409

Forgive my sins.
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #3762 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »

Does anybody here like fantasy football?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3763 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »

Yeah, I've played fantasy football the last few years Smiley
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3764 on: August 01, 2012, 02:17:52 AM »

Nation-High Five LSU Tigers on CBSsports Preseason Team

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=205562409

It looks like it will come down to the battle in the Bayou to decide the SEC West again. I hope we can survive early challenges from Michigan and Arkansas. I look forward to seeing how good Mettenburger will be. RTR!

Selam

christian7777
Elder

« Reply #3765 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »

Yeah, I've played fantasy football the last few years Smiley

I've been playing since 8th grade.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3766 on: August 03, 2012, 12:31:22 AM »

It looks like it will come down to the battle in the Bayou to decide the SEC West again. I hope we can survive early challenges from Michigan and Arkansas. I look forward to seeing how good Mettenburger will be. RTR!

Probably so, I feel LSU will be even better this year (Mettenburger will be atleast 5x better than Jordan Jefferson). With Alabama playing in Tiger Stadium, I think LSU has a good chance of going to the National Championship. I am very confident in them.

Forgive my sins.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #3767 on: August 05, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »

I want to become a MLB fan. I think I'll go with the Cardinals.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #3768 on: August 05, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »

Also, does everyone in this thread live in like Michigan or something? Where I live people could not care less about hockey.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3769 on: August 05, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »

Also, does everyone in this thread live in like Michigan or something? Where I live people could not care less about hockey.
Buffalo, New York and proud of it.

And, hockey is the single greatest sport to be played.

(Baseball, Rugby, and (association) football are up there too)

SCREW BON JOVI!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3770 on: August 05, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »

Southwestern PA. Pittsburgh has some of the best ratings in the NHL.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3771 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »

Ravens' fans? Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #3772 on: August 05, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »

Buffalo is always the second or third for SCF ratings, and the sabres havent been NEAR the cup in a while. and these rating dont even count those of us watching CBC

SCREW BON JOVI!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3773 on: August 05, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »

Ravens' fans?

If you're going to use swear words on this forum you'd best disguise them somehow. As it stands, your post was just obscene!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3774 on: August 05, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »

Ravens' fans?

If you're going to use swear words on this forum you'd best disguise them somehow. As it stands, your post was just obscene!
+10000000

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3775 on: August 05, 2012, 10:02:39 PM »

Buffalo is always the second or third for SCF ratings, and the sabres havent been NEAR the cup in a while. and these rating dont even count those of us watching CBC

Well good on you guys Smiley

On 2012 ratings...

The Pittsburgh Penguins continued their dominance of the NHL’s local TV ratings in the U.S., posting a league-high 7.89 rating on Root Sports through the latter part of March.

This marks at least the fifth consecutive season that the Penguins have posted the highest local ratings of any U.S.-based NHL team.

The Buffalo Sabres had been at the top of the league’s local ratings list at midseason, with a 7.77 on MSG. But as the team scrambled to make the playoffs, its ratings dropped to a 6.55, which placed Buffalo in second, behind the Penguins.

Boston Bruins games on NESN have brought the league’s biggest audiences this season, with an average of 112,000 homes tuning in to each game. Blackhawks games on CSN Chicago averaged 108,000 homes, good enough for second in the league.

Last year, the Penguins also had the highest number of viewers tuning in to each game (101,000 homes), despite playing in the league’s 22nd-largest market. This year, that number dropped 9 percent to 92,000 homes, which is still the fourth-biggest audience in the league.

-- Source
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3776 on: August 05, 2012, 10:03:06 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Mos Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Ravens' fans?

That's true, it was a bit of a low blow, I admit Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3777 on: August 05, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »

Better than losing an ear I suppose.  angel

Also, they should have an NBA backcourt type rule in soccer. It's frustrating watching the team in possession of the ball kick it 10 times to each other at mid-field and then kick it halfway across the playing surface back to their own goal keeper. Then they start over. What the heck?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3778 on: August 05, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »

One thing I would change in each sport if I could:

Football: Give both teams at least one possession in overtime.
Baseball: Manager can ask for one instant replay review per game.
Hockey: Make overtime in regular season a full period.
Soccer: Mentioned above.
Basketball: Penalize for flops.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #3779 on: August 05, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »

Well good on you guys Smiley

On 2012 ratings...

The Pittsburgh Penguins continued their dominance of the NHL’s local TV ratings in the U.S., posting a league-high 7.89 rating on Root Sports through the latter part of March.

This marks at least the fifth consecutive season that the Penguins have posted the highest local ratings of any U.S.-based NHL team.

The Buffalo Sabres had been at the top of the league’s local ratings list at midseason, with a 7.77 on MSG. But as the team scrambled to make the playoffs, its ratings dropped to a 6.55, which placed Buffalo in second, behind the Penguins.

Boston Bruins games on NESN have brought the league’s biggest audiences this season, with an average of 112,000 homes tuning in to each game. Blackhawks games on CSN Chicago averaged 108,000 homes, good enough for second in the league.

Last year, the Penguins also had the highest number of viewers tuning in to each game (101,000 homes), despite playing in the league’s 22nd-largest market. This year, that number dropped 9 percent to 92,000 homes, which is still the fourth-biggest audience in the league.

-- Source
Also, don't forget, MSG has contract disputes with TWC, which caused people to not be able to watch the games, which lowers ratings.

SCREW BON JOVI!
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: